Posted to rec.food.cooking

Default Dinner with vegan friends

Dinner with vegan friends:

<https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AOhuzjUKnp0>
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Wed, 14 Nov 2018 19:54:52 +1100, Brice >
wrote:

>Dinner with vegan friends:
>
><https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AOhuzjUKnp0>

Savage.

https://postimg.cc/Hjjz7X9w

https://postimg.cc/HJxcP4x3

https://postimg.cc/wtpH16KN

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Wed, 14 Nov 2018 09:33:31 -0000 (UTC), Wayne Boatwright
> wrote:

>On Wed 14 Nov 2018 02:16:09a, Jeßus told us...
>
>> On Wed, 14 Nov 2018 19:54:52 +1100, Brice >
>> wrote:
>>
>>>Dinner with vegan friends:
>>>
>>><https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AOhuzjUKnp0>

>> Savage.
>>
>> https://postimg.cc/Hjjz7X9w
>>
>> https://postimg.cc/HJxcP4x3
>>
>> https://postimg.cc/wtpH16KN
>>

>I don't feel sorry for vegans, nor do I provide special food if they
>happen to be in a party of friends. It's their choice, unless it's a
>serious health issue.
>
>I'm sure they wouldn't provide a non-vegan meal for me if I were
>invited.

I have no tolerance for them, the only exception if there was some
medical reason behind needing to be vegan. It's an irrational and
narcissistic philosophy, IMO. And literally impossible to achieve in
the real world.

Vegetarianism I can understand, I have no issue with that... as long
as THEY don't make an issue of it. I eat vegan/vegetarian meals
regularly, but that's simply because I tire of eating meat or
animal-based products every single meal.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Wed, 14 Nov 2018 16:51:58 +0700, Jeßus > wrote:

>On Wed, 14 Nov 2018 09:33:31 -0000 (UTC), Wayne Boatwright
> wrote:
>
>>On Wed 14 Nov 2018 02:16:09a, Jeßus told us...

>>> Savage.
>>>
>>> https://postimg.cc/Hjjz7X9w
>>>
>>> https://postimg.cc/HJxcP4x3
>>>
>>> https://postimg.cc/wtpH16KN
>>>

>>I don't feel sorry for vegans, nor do I provide special food if they
>>happen to be in a party of friends. It's their choice, unless it's a
>>serious health issue.
>>
>>I'm sure they wouldn't provide a non-vegan meal for me if I were
>>invited.

>I have no tolerance for them, the only exception if there was some
>medical reason behind needing to be vegan. It's an irrational and
>narcissistic philosophy, IMO. And literally impossible to achieve in
>the real world.

I can easily understand it if it's for animal welfare reasons. And
it's very feasible.

But I only posted the link because I thought it was funny.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Wed, 14 Nov 2018 21:00:06 +1100, Brice >
wrote:

>On Wed, 14 Nov 2018 16:51:58 +0700, Jeßus > wrote:
>
>>On Wed, 14 Nov 2018 09:33:31 -0000 (UTC), Wayne Boatwright
> wrote:
>>
>>>On Wed 14 Nov 2018 02:16:09a, Jeßus told us...

>>>I don't feel sorry for vegans, nor do I provide special food if they
>>>happen to be in a party of friends. It's their choice, unless it's a
>>>serious health issue.
>>>
>>>I'm sure they wouldn't provide a non-vegan meal for me if I were
>>>invited.

>>I have no tolerance for them, the only exception if there was some
>>medical reason behind needing to be vegan. It's an irrational and
>>narcissistic philosophy, IMO. And literally impossible to achieve in
>>the real world.

>I can easily understand it if it's for animal welfare reasons. And
>it's very feasible.
>
>But I only posted the link because I thought it was funny.

Sure, animal welfare can be a legitimate reason - but how far does
that extend, or more to the point - where does it stop and
discrimination/persecution of living creatures begin? Do vegans also
refuse vaccinations or anti venom, for example?

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Wed, 14 Nov 2018 17:15:47 +0700, Jeßus > wrote:

>On Wed, 14 Nov 2018 21:00:06 +1100, Brice >
>wrote:
>
>>On Wed, 14 Nov 2018 16:51:58 +0700, Jeßus > wrote:

>>>I have no tolerance for them, the only exception if there was some
>>>medical reason behind needing to be vegan. It's an irrational and
>>>narcissistic philosophy, IMO. And literally impossible to achieve in
>>>the real world.

>>I can easily understand it if it's for animal welfare reasons. And
>>it's very feasible.
>>
>>But I only posted the link because I thought it was funny.

>Sure, animal welfare can be a legitimate reason - but how far does
>that extend, or more to the point - where does it stop and
>discrimination/persecution of living creatures begin? Do vegans also
>refuse vaccinations or anti venom, for example?

I hope not. It's just that for every dairy cow a bull is killed and
for every egg laying hen a rooster's killed. Plus the hen and the cow
are killed when they're no longer productive enough. Plus what
conditions are they kept in? Those are things why I can understand
vegans.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Wed, 14 Nov 2018 21:41:42 +1100, Brice >
wrote:

>On Wed, 14 Nov 2018 17:15:47 +0700, Jeßus > wrote:
>
>>On Wed, 14 Nov 2018 21:00:06 +1100, Brice >
>>wrote:

>>>I can easily understand it if it's for animal welfare reasons. And
>>>it's very feasible.
>>>
>>>But I only posted the link because I thought it was funny.

>>Sure, animal welfare can be a legitimate reason - but how far does
>>that extend, or more to the point - where does it stop and
>>discrimination/persecution of living creatures begin? Do vegans also
>>refuse vaccinations or anti venom, for example?

>I hope not. It's just that for every dairy cow a bull is killed and
>for every egg laying hen a rooster's killed. Plus the hen and the cow
>are killed when they're no longer productive enough. Plus what
>conditions are they kept in? Those are things why I can understand
>vegans.

Sure, but you can be a vegetarian and have those things covered too.
Oh, and the video was cute, I forgot to mention that before.

OB Food (or whatever is was):
We just come back from the market. For dinner tonight we bought some
more chillis, garlic, ginger, fresh made coconut milk, coriander, Thai
basil, bean sprouts, some already cooked purple rice (just for me, I
don't like to eat the typical starchy Thai type rice too often but the
wife does), yard long beans, eggplants (the size of marbles, not like
in the West)... and yes, some chicken (sorry). And some guavas for
dessert.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Wed, 14 Nov 2018 18:02:22 +0700, Jeßus > wrote:

>On Wed, 14 Nov 2018 21:41:42 +1100, Brice >
>wrote:
>
>>On Wed, 14 Nov 2018 17:15:47 +0700, Jeßus > wrote:

>>>Sure, animal welfare can be a legitimate reason - but how far does
>>>that extend, or more to the point - where does it stop and
>>>discrimination/persecution of living creatures begin? Do vegans also
>>>refuse vaccinations or anti venom, for example?

>>I hope not. It's just that for every dairy cow a bull is killed and
>>for every egg laying hen a rooster's killed. Plus the hen and the cow
>>are killed when they're no longer productive enough. Plus what
>>conditions are they kept in? Those are things why I can understand
>>vegans.

>Sure, but you can be a vegetarian and have those things covered too.

But wouldn't you be a vegan then? (Not that I'm either.)

>Oh, and the video was cute, I forgot to mention that before.
>
>OB Food (or whatever is was):
>We just come back from the market. For dinner tonight we bought some
>more chillis, garlic, ginger, fresh made coconut milk, coriander, Thai
>basil, bean sprouts, some already cooked purple rice (just for me, I
>don't like to eat the typical starchy Thai type rice too often but the
>wife does), yard long beans, eggplants (the size of marbles, not like
>in the West)... and yes, some chicken (sorry). And some guavas for
>dessert.

Sounds excellent.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Wed, 14 Nov 2018 10:28:02 -0000 (UTC), Wayne Boatwright
> wrote:

>On Wed 14 Nov 2018 03:15:47a, Jeßus told us...
>
>> On Wed, 14 Nov 2018 21:00:06 +1100, Brice >
>> wrote:

>>>I can easily understand it if it's for animal welfare reasons. And
>>>it's very feasible.
>>>
>>>But I only posted the link because I thought it was funny.

>> Sure, animal welfare can be a legitimate reason - but how far does
>> that extend, or more to the point - where does it stop and
>> discrimination/persecution of living creatures begin? Do vegans
>> also refuse vaccinations or anti venom, for example?
>>

>Very good question. I don't personally know any vegans, or at least
>don't know if people are, so it's never been a personal topic of
>conversation.

In my experience, most of them haven't considered things like that and
don't much like it when you really start asking them uncomfortable
questions they'd rather not deal with.

>Many of my friends enjoy having a vegetarian meal, as do I, but not
>to the exclusion of meat or fish.

Fair enough too.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Wed, 14 Nov 2018 10:25:23 -0000 (UTC), Wayne Boatwright
> wrote:

>On Wed 14 Nov 2018 03:00:06a, Brice told us...
>
>> On Wed, 14 Nov 2018 16:51:58 +0700, Jeßus > wrote:

>>>I have no tolerance for them, the only exception if there was some
>>>medical reason behind needing to be vegan. It's an irrational and
>>>narcissistic philosophy, IMO. And literally impossible to achieve
>>>in the real world.

>> I can easily understand it if it's for animal welfare reasons. And
>> it's very feasible.
>>
>> But I only posted the link because I thought it was funny.
>>

>It's funny for the bunnies and sad for the puppy. Although I once
>only a toy collie that loved vegetables and would only eat her meat
>after we gave her vegetables.

My oldest cat likes steamed cauliflower Like many cats, she's a bit
of a fussy eater with a very narrow palette, and it surprised the hell
out of me that she would like such a thing. Many years ago I was
eating some, she kept pestering me to give her some. I eventually did,
only to get her off my back, thinking she would sniff it and walk
away. Nope. She ate it and then at some more.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Wed, 14 Nov 2018 22:05:38 +1100, Brice >
wrote:

>On Wed, 14 Nov 2018 18:02:22 +0700, Jeßus > wrote:
>
>>On Wed, 14 Nov 2018 21:41:42 +1100, Brice >
>>wrote:

>>>I hope not. It's just that for every dairy cow a bull is killed and
>>>for every egg laying hen a rooster's killed. Plus the hen and the cow
>>>are killed when they're no longer productive enough. Plus what
>>>conditions are they kept in? Those are things why I can understand
>>>vegans.

>>Sure, but you can be a vegetarian and have those things covered too.

>But wouldn't you be a vegan then? (Not that I'm either.)

Hmm, well, you could possibly still have honey and yeast I suppose
Certain caviar perhaps? I'll have to give it some more thought.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

"Brice" wrote in message ...

On Wed, 14 Nov 2018 16:51:58 +0700, Jeßus > wrote:

>On Wed, 14 Nov 2018 09:33:31 -0000 (UTC), Wayne Boatwright
> wrote:
>
>>On Wed 14 Nov 2018 02:16:09a, Jeßus told us...

>>> Savage.
>>>
>>> https://postimg.cc/Hjjz7X9w
>>>
>>> https://postimg.cc/HJxcP4x3
>>>
>>> https://postimg.cc/wtpH16KN
>>>

>>I don't feel sorry for vegans, nor do I provide special food if they
>>happen to be in a party of friends. It's their choice, unless it's a
>>serious health issue.
>>
>>I'm sure they wouldn't provide a non-vegan meal for me if I were
>>invited.

>I have no tolerance for them, the only exception if there was some
>medical reason behind needing to be vegan. It's an irrational and
>narcissistic philosophy, IMO. And literally impossible to achieve in
>the real world.

I can easily understand it if it's for animal welfare reasons. And
it's very feasible.

But I only posted the link because I thought it was funny.

==

So did I

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On 2018-11-14 2:33 a.m., Wayne Boatwright wrote:
> On Wed 14 Nov 2018 02:16:09a, Jeßus told us...
>
>> On Wed, 14 Nov 2018 19:54:52 +1100, Brice >
>> wrote:
>>
>>> Dinner with vegan friends:
>>>
>>> <https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AOhuzjUKnp0>

>> Savage.
>>
>> https://postimg.cc/Hjjz7X9w
>>
>> https://postimg.cc/HJxcP4x3
>>
>> https://postimg.cc/wtpH16KN
>>

> I don't feel sorry for vegans, nor do I provide special food if they
> happen to be in a party of friends. It's their choice, unless it's a
> serious health issue.

Are there any health issues that completely preclude meat? I can't think
of any.Except mental ones:-)
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On 11/14/2018 4:33 AM, Wayne Boatwright wrote:

> I don't feel sorry for vegans, nor do I provide special food if they
> happen to be in a party of friends. It's their choice, unless it's a
> serious health issue.
>
> I'm sure they wouldn't provide a non-vegan meal for me if I were
> invited.

Seems many vegans are radicals.

I don't know any vegans, but yes to a vegetarian. We do accommodate him
for an occasional meal though, not a big deal. When he invited us we
always had a great meal too. He also does not care that others eat
meat, unlike so of the vegan stories.

Now that I brought it up, I'll have to dig out the recipe for his
broccoli cheese soup.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On 11/14/2018 5:41 AM, Brice wrote:

>> Sure, animal welfare can be a legitimate reason - but how far does
>> that extend, or more to the point - where does it stop and
>> discrimination/persecution of living creatures begin? Do vegans also
>> refuse vaccinations or anti venom, for example?

> I hope not. It's just that for every dairy cow a bull is killed and
> for every egg laying hen a rooster's killed. Plus the hen and the cow
> are killed when they're no longer productive enough. Plus what
> conditions are they kept in? Those are things why I can understand
> vegans.

The ethics are certainly controversial. The bull and rooster killed
should not be wasted. No animal should be kept in poor conditions.
Yes, it will probably raise prices a bit too. Nor should we destroy the
rain forests to raise cattle for the sake of cheap hamburgers.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

Ed Pawlowski wrote:

> Wayne Boatwright wrote:
> > I'm sure they wouldn't provide a non-vegan meal for me if I were
> > invited.
> >

> Seems many vegans are radicals.
>
> I don't know any vegans, but yes to a vegetarian. We do accommodate him
> for an occasional meal though, not a big deal. When he invited us we
> always had a great meal too. He also does not care that others eat
> meat, unlike so of the vegan stories.

I often do eat vegetarian meals and even vegan often enough. Not
by choice, I just eat what sounds good. A vegan inviting me to
dinner? I would be happy enough.

Funny here...my step-daughter (lives in SF) is a vegetarian and
often a vegan. Whenever she comes back home here for a visit, she
always requests my dad-famous chicken dinner with all the works.
heheh Guess her vacations also include a vacation from eating all
that nitpicky vegan nonsense. lol

Funny too as I'd pre-planned some alt meals for her but then it
turns out to be not necessary.

> Now that I brought it up, I'll have to dig out the recipe for his
> broccoli cheese soup.

Funny you mentioned that now. Haven't had it for years...BUT...
Just yesterday, I made a "from scratch" batch myself for a late
lunch.

- 2 cups homemade chicken noodle soup (from my freezer)
- one cup or so frozen broccoli florets, chopped to bite size
- couple of chunks of extra sharp cheddar melted in
- one beaten egg, slowly poured in while stirring at the end
- Two pieces of toasted and buttered Honey Wheat bread, on the
side.

That was actually plenty for 2 people but I ate it all. Didn't
eat much else the rest of the day...just a minor snack or two.

:-D
Posted to rec.food.cooking

"Ed Pawlowski" > wrote in message
> On 11/14/2018 5:41 AM, Brice wrote:
>

>>> Sure, animal welfare can be a legitimate reason - but how far does
>>> that extend, or more to the point - where does it stop and
>>> discrimination/persecution of living creatures begin? Do vegans also
>>> refuse vaccinations or anti venom, for example?

>> I hope not. It's just that for every dairy cow a bull is killed and
>> for every egg laying hen a rooster's killed. Plus the hen and the cow
>> are killed when they're no longer productive enough. Plus what
>> conditions are they kept in? Those are things why I can understand
>> vegans.
>>

> The ethics are certainly controversial. The bull and rooster killed
> should not be wasted. No animal should be kept in poor conditions. Yes,
> it will probably raise prices a bit too. Nor should we destroy the rain
> forests to raise cattle for the sake of cheap hamburgers.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

"Ed Pawlowski" > wrote in message
> On 11/14/2018 5:41 AM, Brice wrote:
>

>>> Sure, animal welfare can be a legitimate reason - but how far does
>>> that extend, or more to the point - where does it stop and
>>> discrimination/persecution of living creatures begin? Do vegans also
>>> refuse vaccinations or anti venom, for example?

>> I hope not. It's just that for every dairy cow a bull is killed and
>> for every egg laying hen a rooster's killed. Plus the hen and the cow
>> are killed when they're no longer productive enough. Plus what
>> conditions are they kept in? Those are things why I can understand
>> vegans.
>>

> The ethics are certainly controversial. The bull and rooster killed
> should not be wasted. No animal should be kept in poor conditions. Yes,
> it will probably raise prices a bit too. Nor should we destroy the rain
> forests to raise cattle for the sake of cheap hamburgers.

I agree there surely is a use for them.

Cheri

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On 2018-11-14 4:51 AM, Je�us wrote:
> On Wed, 14 Nov 2018 09:33:31 -0000 (UTC), Wayne Boatwright
> > wrote:

>> I don't feel sorry for vegans, nor do I provide special food if they
>> happen to be in a party of friends. It's their choice, unless it's a
>> serious health issue.
>>
>> I'm sure they wouldn't provide a non-vegan meal for me if I were
>> invited.

> I have no tolerance for them, the only exception if there was some
> medical reason behind needing to be vegan. It's an irrational and
> narcissistic philosophy, IMO. And literally impossible to achieve in
> the real world.

I can tolerate them for a distance. I was not thrilled last winter when
I went on a kayaking trip to Georgia and one of the group was vegan. We
had a reservation at a place in Virginia and there was a German
restaurant next door. I had been looking forward to a good feed of
German food. But, no...... they wanted to go to a Chinese restaurant
because there was a better chance of getting vegan food there. As it
turned out, they had to make something special for her and she did not
like it.

Then there was the cooking arrangements for the 14 of us sharing a
vacation property. We were supposed to share cooking detail and every
meal had to include vegan options. Sorry, but I don't cook vegan. A
couple of us held a mini revolt when the totally vegan was offered. We
bought some meet and cooked it to have alongside the vegan fair.

I have mentioned before about my brother's son and DiL being vegan and
coming to stay for the weekend on all the major meat feast holidays.
They want everything to be vegetarian, including a Chinese take out
meal. They wanted people to order only vegetarian dishes. When my
brother goes to visit them he is never offered meat. The DiL got upset
when they used the BBQ to cook a steak, and I have to wonder why
vegetarians even have a BBQ. Oh yeah.... to cook the phony meat veggie
burgers that they claim taste just like meat.

> Vegetarianism I can understand, I have no issue with that... as long
> as THEY don't make an issue of it. I eat vegan/vegetarian meals
> regularly, but that's simply because I tire of eating meat or
> animal-based products every single meal.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On 2018-11-14 6:00 AM, Wayne Boatwright wrote:
> On Wed 14 Nov 2018 03:41:42a, Brice told us...

>> I hope not. It's just that for every dairy cow a bull is killed
>> and for every egg laying hen a rooster's killed. Plus the hen and
>> the cow are killed when they're no longer productive enough. Plus
>> what conditions are they kept in? Those are things why I can
>> understand vegans.
>>

> I try not to think of the implications.

That may help to explain vegetarians. Vegans are more of a cult. They
don't eat honey because it exploits bee labour.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On 2018-11-14 10:51 AM, Ed Pawlowski wrote:

> The ethics are certainly controversial.Â* The bull and rooster killed
> should not be wasted.Â* No animal should be kept in poor conditions. Yes,
> it will probably raise prices a bit too.Â* Nor should we destroy the rain
> forests to raise cattle for the sake of cheap hamburgers.

Most male chickens of the laying breeds are discarded shortly after
birth. There is no reason to feed them. They don't produce eggs and
they don't get very big, so there is no return on the cost and work.
Others are castrated and raised for meat. I don't know why there is not
more capon produced. It tastes better than chicken and IMO there is more
meat per pound.

Male cattle, if not good candidates for breeding, are raised for meat.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Wed, 14 Nov 2018 18:19:22 +0700, Jeßus > wrote:

>On Wed, 14 Nov 2018 22:05:38 +1100, Brice >
>wrote:
>
>>On Wed, 14 Nov 2018 18:02:22 +0700, Jeßus > wrote:

>>>Sure, but you can be a vegetarian and have those things covered too.

>>But wouldn't you be a vegan then? (Not that I'm either.)

>Hmm, well, you could possibly still have honey and yeast I suppose
>Certain caviar perhaps? I'll have to give it some more thought.

A problem with honey seems over the top to me, but with yeast...
that's becoming ridiculous
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Wed, 14 Nov 2018 10:51:57 -0500, Ed Pawlowski > wrote:

>On 11/14/2018 5:41 AM, Brice wrote:
>

>>> Sure, animal welfare can be a legitimate reason - but how far does
>>> that extend, or more to the point - where does it stop and
>>> discrimination/persecution of living creatures begin? Do vegans also
>>> refuse vaccinations or anti venom, for example?

>> I hope not. It's just that for every dairy cow a bull is killed and
>> for every egg laying hen a rooster's killed. Plus the hen and the cow
>> are killed when they're no longer productive enough. Plus what
>> conditions are they kept in? Those are things why I can understand
>> vegans.
>>

>The ethics are certainly controversial. The bull and rooster killed
>should not be wasted. No animal should be kept in poor conditions.
>Yes, it will probably raise prices a bit too. Nor should we destroy the
>rain forests to raise cattle for the sake of cheap hamburgers.

Yes, I think those are valid concerns that don't make people a nut or
a fanatic.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Wed, 14 Nov 2018 08:30:38 -0800, "Cheri" >
wrote:

>>> I hope not. It's just that for every dairy cow a bull is killed and
>>> for every egg laying hen a rooster's killed. Plus the hen and the cow
>>> are killed when they're no longer productive enough. Plus what
>>> conditions are they kept in? Those are things why I can understand
>>> vegans.
>>>

>> The ethics are certainly controversial. The bull and rooster killed
>> should not be wasted. No animal should be kept in poor conditions. Yes,
>> it will probably raise prices a bit too. Nor should we destroy the rain
>> forests to raise cattle for the sake of cheap hamburgers.

>I agree there surely is a use for them.

But if animal welfare is your concern, it's not about finding a use
for them.

Besides aren't the new-born little roosters gassed and then crushed
whole into McDonalds chicken nuggets?

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Wed, 14 Nov 2018 18:17:35 -0000, Janet > wrote:

>In article >,
says...
>> Unfortunately a lot of vegetarians do make an issue of it. A big issue.
>> They often start by saying "Oh, I'm not a fussy eater as long as it
>> doesn't have meat" but then get so picky that by the end of it they have
>> you jumping through hoops to make something they can eat.

> I don't find that.
>
>> Few vegetarians I've met have much enthusiasm for decent food. Maybe so
>> many of them are distinctly lacklustre because, after a few years, some
>> of the less fortunate ones get low on vital nutrients like B12 and
>> carnitine.

> I've found that vegetarians and vegans vary just as much as
>omnivores, in their level of cooking skill and enthusiasm.

Ain't that the truth. All these generalisations are so silly.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Wed, 14 Nov 2018 10:40:19 -0500, Ed Pawlowski > wrote:

>On 11/14/2018 4:33 AM, Wayne Boatwright wrote:
>

>> I don't feel sorry for vegans, nor do I provide special food if they
>> happen to be in a party of friends. It's their choice, unless it's a
>> serious health issue.
>>
>> I'm sure they wouldn't provide a non-vegan meal for me if I were
>> invited.
>>

>Seems many vegans are radicals.
>
>I don't know any vegans

Those 2 sentences make a nice pair

I don't know any vegans either. I also don't know any vegetarians.
Maybe I just don't know enough people.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Wed, 14 Nov 2018 12:11:55 -0500, Dave Smith
> wrote:

>On 2018-11-14 4:51 AM, Je?us wrote:
>> On Wed, 14 Nov 2018 09:33:31 -0000 (UTC), Wayne Boatwright
>> > wrote:

>>> I don't feel sorry for vegans, nor do I provide special food if they
>>> happen to be in a party of friends. It's their choice, unless it's a
>>> serious health issue.
>>>
>>> I'm sure they wouldn't provide a non-vegan meal for me if I were
>>> invited.

>> I have no tolerance for them, the only exception if there was some
>> medical reason behind needing to be vegan. It's an irrational and
>> narcissistic philosophy, IMO. And literally impossible to achieve in
>> the real world.

>I can tolerate them for a distance. I was not thrilled last winter when
>I went on a kayaking trip to Georgia and one of the group was vegan. We
>had a reservation at a place in Virginia and there was a German
>restaurant next door. I had been looking forward to a good feed of
>German food. But, no...... they wanted to go to a Chinese restaurant
>because there was a better chance of getting vegan food there.

I'm getting all teary eyed, reading about your suffering. Dave Smith
having to change his plan to suit someone else. What's happening to
this world?
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On 2018-11-14 12:43 p.m., Wayne Boatwright wrote:
> On Wed 14 Nov 2018 08:18:25a, graham told us...
>
>> On 2018-11-14 2:33 a.m., Wayne Boatwright wrote:
>>> On Wed 14 Nov 2018 02:16:09a, Jeßus told us...

>>> I don't feel sorry for vegans, nor do I provide special food if
>>> they happen to be in a party of friends. It's their choice,
>>> unless it's a serious health issue.
>>>

>> Are there any health issues that completely preclude meat? I can't
>> think of any.Except mental ones:-)
>>

> too much meat can severely affect the kidneys. Kidney illines does
> not handle significant amounts of protein. Doesn't matter what type
> of meat, and to some degree, fish.

But surely, if their condition is that serious, they shouldn't eat out.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On 11/14/2018 11:15 AM, Gary wrote:
> Ed Pawlowski wrote:
>>
>> Wayne Boatwright wrote:
>>> I'm sure they wouldn't provide a non-vegan meal for me if I were
>>> invited.
>>>

>> Seems many vegans are radicals.
>>
>> I don't know any vegans, but yes to a vegetarian. We do accommodate him
>> for an occasional meal though, not a big deal. When he invited us we
>> always had a great meal too. He also does not care that others eat
>> meat, unlike so of the vegan stories.

> I often do eat vegetarian meals and even vegan often enough. Not
> by choice, I just eat what sounds good. A vegan inviting me to
> dinner? I would be happy enough.
>
> Funny here...my step-daughter (lives in SF) is a vegetarian and
> often a vegan. Whenever she comes back home here for a visit, she
> always requests my dad-famous chicken dinner with all the works.
> heheh Guess her vacations also include a vacation from eating all
> that nitpicky vegan nonsense. lol
>
> Funny too as I'd pre-planned some alt meals for her but then it
> turns out to be not necessary.
>

>> Now that I brought it up, I'll have to dig out the recipe for his
>> broccoli cheese soup.

> Funny you mentioned that now. Haven't had it for years...BUT...
> Just yesterday, I made a "from scratch" batch myself for a late
> lunch.
>
> - 2 cups homemade chicken noodle soup (from my freezer)
> - one cup or so frozen broccoli florets, chopped to bite size
> - couple of chunks of extra sharp cheddar melted in
> - one beaten egg, slowly poured in while stirring at the end
> - Two pieces of toasted and buttered Honey Wheat bread, on the
> side.
>
> That was actually plenty for 2 people but I ate it all. Didn't
> eat much else the rest of the day...just a minor snack or two.
>
> :-D

Huh. Never would have thought to use chicken noodle soup to make
broccoli cheese soup. Or an egg. I'm glad you enjoyed it! I love
broccoli cheese soup.

Jill

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Wed, 14 Nov 2018 19:58:25 -0000 (UTC), Wayne Boatwright
> wrote:

>On Wed 14 Nov 2018 12:38:36p, Brice told us...
>
>> On Wed, 14 Nov 2018 12:11:55 -0500, Dave Smith
>> > wrote:

>>>I can tolerate them for a distance. I was not thrilled last
>>>winter when I went on a kayaking trip to Georgia and one of the
>>>group was vegan. We had a reservation at a place in Virginia and
>>>there was a German restaurant next door. I had been looking
>>>forward to a good feed of German food. But, no...... they wanted
>>>to go to a Chinese restaurant because there was a better chance of
>>>getting vegan food there.

>> I'm getting all teary eyed, reading about your suffering. Dave
>> Smith having to change his plan to suit someone else. What's
>> happening to this world?
>>

>9 tims out of 10 I will not bother to invite vegans to dinner. I
>do't need to be preached at. Vegetarians are pretty esy to
>accomodate since I do cook plenty of vegetables in addition ot the
>meat. I few vegetarians I know are not upset that meat is also
>seved.

I have a cousin who might be a vegetarian, but I haven't seen him for
20 years. That's the closest I am to knowing a vegan.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

In article 23>,
says...

> On Wed 14 Nov 2018 12:38:36p, Brice told us...
>
> > On Wed, 14 Nov 2018 12:11:55 -0500, Dave Smith
> > > wrote:

> >>I can tolerate them for a distance. I was not thrilled last
> >>winter when I went on a kayaking trip to Georgia and one of the
> >>group was vegan. We had a reservation at a place in Virginia and
> >>there was a German restaurant next door. I had been looking
> >>forward to a good feed of German food. But, no...... they wanted
> >>to go to a Chinese restaurant because there was a better chance of
> >>getting vegan food there.

> > I'm getting all teary eyed, reading about your suffering. Dave
> > Smith having to change his plan to suit someone else. What's
> > happening to this world?
> >

> 9 tims out of 10 I will not bother to invite vegans to dinner. I
> do't need to be preached at.

I've often eaten with vegans and have never been preached at.Perhaps
because I don't do any missionary work to convert them to eat flesh.

Janet UK

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On 2018-11-14 2:33 PM, heyjoe wrote:
> On Wed, 14 Nov 2018 12:11:55 -0500
> in Message-ID: >
> Dave Smith > wrote :
>
>> I can tolerate them for a distance. I was not thrilled last winter when
>> I went on a kayaking trip to Georgia and one of the group was vegan. We
>> had a reservation at a place in Virginia and there was a German
>> restaurant next door. I had been looking forward to a good feed of
>> German food. But, no...... they wanted to go to a Chinese restaurant
>> because there was a better chance of getting vegan food there.

> T'would have been a simple choice for me, even if I had to eat by
> myself. I'm calling an uber anf going to the German restaurant.

It was not a horrible outcome for me because the Chinese meal was
excellent, but her vegan meal with a big disappointment for her. I did
opt out of other restaurant meals that included her. She came along with
us to one seafood restaurant and had another disappointing meal. That
was a pity because my shrimp tacos were great.

I guess that when one chooses to be vegan they have to learn to live
with disappointment. I know that some vegan dishes can be good, but not
everyone is capable of cooking good vegan food. When you opt to follow
that route you really limit your options.

> Given the personalities of the kayakers I know, I can't believe somebody
> got away with that attitude. More than one would've made suggestion
> about the tail wagging the dog.

I have to say that she is a very pleasant women and, other than the
vegan thing, very easy to get along with. However, I was not the only
one who objected to being expected to cater to her. Lucky for her,
there were a number of women on the trip who were more willing to
accommodate. The attitude amongst the men was that we really didn't
care if she was vegan, but we weren't willing to have to accommodate
that when we were doing the cooking.

FWIW... our trip to the north in September was different. Instead of
everyone being in one house we had 4 cabins, so only her cabin mates
had to accommodate.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Wed, 14 Nov 2018 18:05:50 +0700, Jeßus > wrote:

>On Wed, 14 Nov 2018 10:28:02 -0000 (UTC), Wayne Boatwright
> wrote:
>
>>On Wed 14 Nov 2018 03:15:47a, Jeßus told us...

>>> Sure, animal welfare can be a legitimate reason - but how far does
>>> that extend, or more to the point - where does it stop and
>>> discrimination/persecution of living creatures begin? Do vegans
>>> also refuse vaccinations or anti venom, for example?
>>>

>>Very good question. I don't personally know any vegans, or at least
>>don't know if people are, so it's never been a personal topic of
>>conversation.

>In my experience, most of them haven't considered things like that and
>don't much like it when you really start asking them uncomfortable
>questions they'd rather not deal with.
>
>>Many of my friends enjoy having a vegetarian meal, as do I, but not
>>to the exclusion of meat or fish.

>Fair enough too.

Fish is meat, same as poultry is meat... you likely meant red meat.
It's near impossible to be a vegetarian as most all produce contains
some element of insects... almost always fruit fly eggs.

My question is can vegetarians enjoy oral sex?
Posted to rec.food.cooking

graham wrote:
> On 2018-11-14 12:43 p.m., Wayne Boatwright wrote:

>>> Are there any health issues that completely preclude meat? I can't
>>> think of any.Except mental ones:-)
>>>

>> too much meat can severely affect the kidneys. Kidney illines does
>> not handle significant amounts of protein. Doesn't matter what type
>> of meat, and to some degree, fish.
>>

> But surely, if their condition is that serious, they shouldn't eat out.

Exactly. Just as brittle diabetics shouldn't dine at the donut shop for
3 meals a day.

Nothing wrong with vegans, except for the ones that make damn sure you
know they are vegan, thus *special*

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Wed, 14 Nov 2018 14:52:44 -0600, Hank Rogers >
wrote:

>graham wrote:
>> On 2018-11-14 12:43 p.m., Wayne Boatwright wrote:
>>> On Wed 14 Nov 2018 08:18:25a, graham told us...

>>> too much meat can severely affect the kidneys. Kidney illines does
>>> not handle significant amounts of protein. Doesn't matter what type
>>> of meat, and to some degree, fish.
>>>

>> But surely, if their condition is that serious, they shouldn't eat out.

>Exactly. Just as brittle diabetics shouldn't dine at the donut shop for
>3 meals a day.
>
>Nothing wrong with vegans, except for the ones that make damn sure you
>know they are vegan, thus *special*

Agreed.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

https://postimg.cc/Hjjz7X9w

>>> Very good question. I don't personally know any vegans, or at least
>>> don't know if people are, so it's never been a personal topic of
>>> conversation.

>> In my experience, most of them haven't considered things like that and
>> don't much like it when you really start asking them uncomfortable
>> questions they'd rather not deal with.
>>
>>> Many of my friends enjoy having a vegetarian meal, as do I, but not
>>> to the exclusion of meat or fish.

>> Fair enough too.

> Fish is meat, same as poultry is meat... you likely meant red meat.
> It's near impossible to be a vegetarian as most all produce contains
> some element of insects... almost always fruit fly eggs.
>
> My question is can vegetarians enjoy oral sex?

I dunno Popeye, how many vegetarian guys have yoose eaten?

Did they smile?

If so, they enjoyed yoose.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

:

>> On Wed, 14 Nov 2018 09:33:31 -0000 (UTC), Wayne Boatwright
>> > wrote:
>>
>>>On Wed 14 Nov 2018 02:16:09a, Jeßus told us...

>>>I don't feel sorry for vegans, nor do I provide special food if they
>>>happen to be in a party of friends. It's their choice, unless it's a
>>>serious health issue.
>>>
>>>I'm sure they wouldn't provide a non-vegan meal for me if I were
>>>invited.

>> I have no tolerance for them, the only exception if there was some
>> medical reason behind needing to be vegan. It's an irrational and
>> narcissistic philosophy, IMO. And literally impossible to achieve in
>> the real world.
>>
>> Vegetarianism I can understand, I have no issue with that... as long
>> as THEY don't make an issue of it.

>Unfortunately a lot of vegetarians do make an issue of it. A big issue.
>They often start by saying "Oh, I'm not a fussy eater as long as it
>doesn't have meat" but then get so picky that by the end of it they have
>you jumping through hoops to make something they can eat.

That would be like inviting Bove for dinner

>Few vegetarians I've met have much enthusiasm for decent food. Maybe so
>many of them are distinctly lacklustre because, after a few years, some
>of the less fortunate ones get low on vital nutrients like B12 and
>carnitine.
>
>> I eat vegan/vegetarian meals regularly, but that's simply because I
>> tire of eating meat or animal-based products every single meal.

My opinion is that vegetarianism and veganism is no ddifferent than
keeping kosher, no matter how hard you try something will offend
them... I don't pretend to prepare meals for vegetarians, vegans or
Jews who obey kasruth. To me those make no sense whatsoever same as
all religions make no sense whatsoever. If I invite people to dinner
I right up front tell them if that if they have any religeous eating
mandates tell me now because I will make zero effort to comply so no
hard feelings but consider yourself UNinvited.

In my experience all vegetarians are phonies, I've met several... but
when you're not looking they eat meat. I had Vietmanese neighbors who
claimed to be strict vegetarians, yet one day when I decided to shop
about ten miles away I spotted their car and there they were in the
parking lot chowing down on cold cuts... was like Arbys, we have your
meats!
Actually they weren't eating sandwiches, they were eating Oscar Meyer
bologna out of the packages. If they wanted to cheat they should have
at the very least chose something better like Boar's Head.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Wed, 14 Nov 2018 11:35:15 -0000 (UTC), Wayne Boatwright
> wrote:

>On Wed 14 Nov 2018 04:09:54a, Jeßus told us...
>
>> On Wed, 14 Nov 2018 10:25:23 -0000 (UTC), Wayne Boatwright
>> > wrote:
>>
>>>On Wed 14 Nov 2018 03:00:06a, Brice told us...

>>>It's funny for the bunnies and sad for the puppy. Although I once
>>>only a toy collie that loved vegetables and would only eat her
>>>meat after we gave her vegetables.

>> My oldest cat likes steamed cauliflower Like many cats, she's a
>> bit of a fussy eater with a very narrow palette, and it surprised
>> the hell out of me that she would like such a thing. Many years
>> ago I was eating some, she kept pestering me to give her some. I
>> eventually did, only to get her off my back, thinking she would
>> sniff it and walk away. Nope. She ate it and then at some more.
>>

>We had 4 cats buty recetly had to have 1 of our cats put to sleep at
>age 15. All our cats were fed regular high grade canned and dry cat
>food, but our cat who recently passed absolutely loved to eat
>anything Italian that contained tomato, especially pasta, lasagna,
>and pizza. She would wait patiently until someone finished their
>meal and would eat whatever of those foods remained on their plate.
>She was the "lady" of the house, bossing around our 3 males, 2 of
>which were her same age. All were tuxedos.

Ha, she had good taste.

My older cat (Annie) is 15 and very slim, mostly Siamese I think.
Lucy is 7 y/o and a classic tabby... very large, even for a tabby.
Boisterous and a trouble-maker when she gets bored. Total opposite of
Annie. Lucy torments the hell out of Annie at times, yet there's no
question who is the boss of the house, especially when it comes to
food.

Speaking of cats with unusual tastes, loves durian:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KiM6...ature=youtu.be

This cat doesn't agree though:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xDbm...ature=youtu.be
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Wed, 14 Nov 2018 11:39:12 -0000 (UTC), Wayne Boatwright

LOL.