Posted to rec.food.cooking

Default Dinner tonight 11/7/2018

Pan seared sea scallops. Simply sprinkled with a touch of S&P, cooked
in a drizzle of olive oil. I removed the scallops, added coursely
chopped garlic cloves and stirred until it was tender, slightly browned.
Aromatic. I added some fresh, trimmed spinach leaves and cooked in
the oil until tender.

Quite tasty! A really simple mid-week meal.

Jill
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On 2018-11-07 5:41 PM, jmcquown wrote:
> Pan seared sea scallops.Â* Simply sprinkled with a touch of S&P, cooked
> in a drizzle of olive oil.Â* I removed the scallops, added coursely
> chopped garlic cloves and stirred until it was tender, slightly browned.
> Â*Aromatic.Â* I added some fresh, trimmed spinach leaves and cooked in
> the oil until tender.
>
> Quite tasty!Â* A really simple mid-week meal.

We went out or dinner. My wife had deep fried salmon that she really
enjoyed. I had a salmon burger with sweet potato fries. Delicious.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On 11/7/2018 8:13 PM, Dave Smith wrote:
> On 2018-11-07 5:41 PM, jmcquown wrote:
>> Pan seared sea scallops.Â* Simply sprinkled with a touch of S&P, cooked
>> in a drizzle of olive oil.Â* I removed the scallops, added coursely
>> chopped garlic cloves and stirred until it was tender, slightly
>> browned. Â*Â*Aromatic.Â* I added some fresh, trimmed spinach leaves and
>> cooked in the oil until tender.
>>
>> Quite tasty!Â* A really simple mid-week meal.
>>

> We went out or dinner. My wife had deep fried salmon that she really
> enjoyed. I had a salmon burger with sweet potato fries.Â* Delicious.

Salmon isn't something I've ever thought about as a deep fried item.
Was it battered?

Jill
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On 2018-11-07 9:26 PM, jmcquown wrote:
> On 11/7/2018 8:13 PM, Dave Smith wrote:
>> On 2018-11-07 5:41 PM, jmcquown wrote:
>>> Pan seared sea scallops.Â* Simply sprinkled with a touch of S&P,
>>> cooked in a drizzle of olive oil.Â* I removed the scallops, added
>>> coursely chopped garlic cloves and stirred until it was tender,
>>> slightly browned. Â*Â*Aromatic.Â* I added some fresh, trimmed spinach
>>> leaves and cooked in the oil until tender.
>>>
>>> Quite tasty!Â* A really simple mid-week meal.
>>>

>> We went out or dinner. My wife had deep fried salmon that she really
>> enjoyed. I had a salmon burger with sweet potato fries.Â* Delicious.
>>

> Salmon isn't something I've ever thought about as a deep fried item. Was
> it battered?

Yes. It is battered. It is the only place I know that does a battered
deep fried salmon. I had it there once. It was better than I expected. I
normally prefer to have it grill or broiled. My salmon burger was
delicious and the sweet potato fries were the best I have ever had, nice
and crisp, and served with a chipotle ranch dip.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

In article >, jmcquown
> wrote:

> Salmon isn't something I've ever thought about as a deep fried item.
> Was it battered?

In the late eighties, I went on my one and only true adventure. We flew
into Quinhagak, AK. We fished for Coho salmon on the Kanektok River and
caught a lot of salmon. A friend of mine guided on the river then, so
expenses were manageable, and he and his relative had WeatherPorts set
up for other clients. Camp was pretty primo, but it was a camp on the
bend of the river. It came and went every year.
The camp cook prepared deep fried battered salmon every day for lunch.
It was delicious. After, lets say, five days, it was less delicious.
After ten days, I'd had enough for ten years.
I'd love some now. It's cooked just like cod for fish and chips.
But I'd have to buy oil for my long neglected deep fryer. Then I'd have
to throw the oil away. I'm not sure my wife would like it. What's a
poor boy to do?

leo

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On 11/7/2018 11:33 PM, Leonard Blaisdell wrote:
> In article >, jmcquown
> > wrote:
>
>> Salmon isn't something I've ever thought about as a deep fried item.
>> Was it battered?

> In the late eighties, I went on my one and only true adventure. We flew
> into Quinhagak, AK. We fished for Coho salmon on the Kanektok River and
> caught a lot of salmon. A friend of mine guided on the river then, so
> expenses were manageable, and he and his relative had WeatherPorts set
> up for other clients. Camp was pretty primo, but it was a camp on the
> bend of the river. It came and went every year.
> The camp cook prepared deep fried battered salmon every day for lunch.
> It was delicious. After, lets say, five days, it was less delicious.
> After ten days, I'd had enough for ten years.
> I'd love some now. It's cooked just like cod for fish and chips.
> But I'd have to buy oil for my long neglected deep fryer. Then I'd have
> to throw the oil away. I'm not sure my wife would like it. What's a
> poor boy to do?
>
> leo

Thanks for sharing! That's always been my problem with deep frying.
Straining, storing, reusing oil for fish only works for a short time,
then you have to dispose of it. PITA. Interesting to hear about
battered deep fried salmon.

Jill
Posted to rec.food.cooking

In article 23>, Wayne
Boatwright > wrote:

> I gave my deep fryer away years ago. I have a deep skillet, as well
> as a deep electric skillet (both abouat 4" deep) that I fill with
> about 1" of oil. It's sufficient to "deep fry" most things,
> especially if the items are relatively flat.

What! My deep fryer is part of my estate! Most of my estate will be
hauled to the dump in a medium dumpster.
Having said that, I do know how to deep fry in a skillet. I do it
rarely. The volume of oil that it takes puts me off, since I know I
won't be deep frying again for longer than the oil will last in the
fridge.
Perhaps, that's why my fried chicken sort of sucks in a eighth inch or
less of oil. I know better, but I won't change my method. My silly
method makes for great chicken gravy.

lwo
Posted to rec.food.cooking

"Leonard Blaisdell" > wrote in message
> In article 23>, Wayne
> Boatwright > wrote:
>

>> I gave my deep fryer away years ago. I have a deep skillet, as well
>> as a deep electric skillet (both abouat 4" deep) that I fill with
>> about 1" of oil. It's sufficient to "deep fry" most things,
>> especially if the items are relatively flat.

> What! My deep fryer is part of my estate! Most of my estate will be
> hauled to the dump in a medium dumpster.
> Having said that, I do know how to deep fry in a skillet. I do it
> rarely. The volume of oil that it takes puts me off, since I know I
> won't be deep frying again for longer than the oil will last in the
> fridge.
> Perhaps, that's why my fried chicken sort of sucks in a eighth inch or
> less of oil. I know better, but I won't change my method. My silly
> method makes for great chicken gravy.
>
> lwo

I bet it's good.

Cheri

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On 2018-11-07 11:47 PM, jmcquown wrote:
> On 11/7/2018 11:33 PM, Leonard Blaisdell wrote:
>> In article >, jmcquown
>> > wrote:
>>
>>> Salmon isn't something I've ever thought about as a deep fried item.
>>> Was it battered?

>> In the late eighties, I went on my one and only true adventure. We flew
>> into Quinhagak, AK. We fished for Coho salmon on the Kanektok River and
>> caught a lot of salmon. A friend of mine guided on the river then, so
>> expenses were manageable, and he and his relative had WeatherPorts set
>> up for other clients. Camp was pretty primo, but it was a camp on the
>> bend of the river. It came and went every year.
>> The camp cook prepared deep fried battered salmon every day for lunch.
>> It was delicious. After, lets say, five days, it was less delicious.
>> After ten days, I'd had enough for ten years.
>> I'd love some now. It's cooked just like cod for fish and chips.
>> But I'd have to buy oil for my long neglected deep fryer. Then I'd have
>> to throw the oil away. I'm not sure my wife would like it. What's a
>> poor boy to do?
>>
>> leo
>>

> Thanks for sharing!Â* That's always been my problem with deep frying.
> Straining, storing, reusing oil for fish only works for a short time,
> then you have to dispose of it.Â* PITA.Â* Interesting to hear about
> battered deep fried salmon.

I thought that it sounded weird when my wife told me about it. She had
had it at that restaurant and liked it. I was reluctant, but one day I
tried it. It was much better than I had expected. We had not been to
this restaurant for a couple years so when we went last night she wanted
to try it again.

FWIW, it was farmed Atlantic salmon. I don't think it would work with
the firmer, darker wild Pacific type. But.... I was wrong about the
deep fried salmon so I could be wrong about doing it with the wild stuff.

I can understand Leo getting tired of the same dish after 10 days. When
BC was being developed there was lots of work for young men who usually
stayed at work camps. They had to set limits on the number of times
salmon was served because the guys got sick of it.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On 2018-11-08 1:29 AM, Wayne Boatwright wrote:

> I gave my deep fryer away years ago. I have a deep skillet, as well
> as a deep electric skillet (both abouat 4" deep) that I fill with
> about 1" of oil. It's sufficient to "deep fry" most things,
> especially if the items are relatively flat.

I got rid of mine almost 8 years ago, after I had bypass surgery.
I probably should have changed the oil more often than I did. I used to
use it almost every Saturday to make Buffalo wings. I cooked French
fries once or twice a month and once or twice a year I made donuts and
apple fritters. The fritters were a special treat.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On 2018-11-08 5:34 AM, l not -l wrote:
> On 7-Nov-2018, jmcquown > wrote:
>
>> Pan seared sea scallops. Simply sprinkled with a touch of S&P, cooked
>> in a drizzle of olive oil. I removed the scallops, added coursely
>> chopped garlic cloves and stirred until it was tender, slightly browned.
>> Aromatic. I added some fresh, trimmed spinach leaves and cooked in
>> the oil until tender.
>>
>> Quite tasty! A really simple mid-week meal.

> I'm not an adventurous eater when it comes to seafood; fish varieties and
> shrimp are about the extent of my seafood norm. I had scallops once, I'm
> sure they were over-cooked, they were like trying to eat a Pink Pearl
> eraser. I should try more seafood varieties, because I know many people who
> enjoy them.

If the scallops were tough they were definitely over cooked. Scallops
can be eaten raw. If properly seared they are basically a thin seared
crust with raw or barely cooked flesh in the middle, nice a nice beef
tenderloin. They are tender and melt in your mouth.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On 11/8/2018 10:30 AM, Dave Smith wrote:
> On 2018-11-08 5:34 AM, l not -l wrote:
>> OnÂ* 7-Nov-2018, jmcquown > wrote:
>>
>>> Pan seared sea scallops.Â* Simply sprinkled with a touch of S&P, cooked
>>> in a drizzle of olive oil.Â* I removed the scallops, added coursely
>>> chopped garlic cloves and stirred until it was tender, slightly browned.
>>> Â*Â* Aromatic.Â* I added some fresh, trimmed spinach leaves and cooked in
>>> the oil until tender.
>>>
>>> Quite tasty!Â* A really simple mid-week meal.

>> I'm not an adventurous eater when it comes to seafood; fish varieties and
>> shrimp are about the extent of my seafood norm.Â* I had scallops once, I'm
>> sure they were over-cooked, they were like trying to eat a Pink Pearl
>> eraser.Â* I should try more seafood varieties, because I know many
>> people who
>> enjoy them.

> If the scallops were tough they were definitely over cooked. Scallops
> can be eaten raw.Â* If properly seared they are basically a thin seared
> crust with raw or barely cooked flesh in the middle, nice a nice beef
> tenderloin. They are tender and melt in your mouth.

Scallops can be a bit tricky. When it comes to scallops, cooked to just
opaque for me. The minute the line of pink on the side starts to
disappear, remove from heat and plate immediately.

Jill
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Fri, 9 Nov 2018 18:47:56 -0500, jmcquown >
wrote:

>On 11/8/2018 10:30 AM, Dave Smith wrote:

>>> I'm not an adventurous eater when it comes to seafood; fish varieties and
>>> shrimp are about the extent of my seafood norm.* I had scallops once, I'm
>>> sure they were over-cooked, they were like trying to eat a Pink Pearl
>>> eraser.* I should try more seafood varieties, because I know many
>>> people who
>>> enjoy them.

>> If the scallops were tough they were definitely over cooked. Scallops
>> can be eaten raw.* If properly seared they are basically a thin seared
>> crust with raw or barely cooked flesh in the middle, nice a nice beef
>> tenderloin. They are tender and melt in your mouth.
>>

>Scallops can be a bit tricky. When it comes to scallops, cooked to just
>opaque for me. The minute the line of pink on the side starts to
>disappear, remove from heat and plate immediately.

I had sashimi* yesterday: raw salmon, raw tuna and raw scallop. The
scallop tasted the best.

--
Brice

*I had it with wine and used chopsticks, in case Gary reads this.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

Brice wrote:
> On Fri, 9 Nov 2018 18:47:56 -0500, jmcquown >
> wrote:

>>> If the scallops were tough they were definitely over cooked. Scallops
>>> can be eaten raw. If properly seared they are basically a thin seared
>>> crust with raw or barely cooked flesh in the middle, nice a nice beef
>>> tenderloin. They are tender and melt in your mouth.
>>>

>> Scallops can be a bit tricky. When it comes to scallops, cooked to just
>> opaque for me. The minute the line of pink on the side starts to
>> disappear, remove from heat and plate immediately.

> I had sashimi* yesterday: raw salmon, raw tuna and raw scallop. The
> scallop tasted the best.

Eating dead fish. Isn't that a bad thing?

I bet yoose wouldn't do it if yoose could see their big eyes looking up
at yoose.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Fri, 9 Nov 2018 19:21:48 -0600, Hank Rogers >
wrote:

>Brice wrote:
>> On Fri, 9 Nov 2018 18:47:56 -0500, jmcquown >
>> wrote:

>>> Scallops can be a bit tricky. When it comes to scallops, cooked to just
>>> opaque for me. The minute the line of pink on the side starts to
>>> disappear, remove from heat and plate immediately.

>> I had sashimi* yesterday: raw salmon, raw tuna and raw scallop. The
>> scallop tasted the best.
>>

>Eating dead fish. Isn't that a bad thing?
>
>I bet yoose wouldn't do it if yoose could see their big eyes looking up
>at yoose.

That's true. I stopped catching catfish from our creek, because of the
look in their eyes when I'd take the knife to their throat to kill
them.