Posted to rec.food.cooking

Default Southern Style Pimiento Cheese

On Tue, 31 Jul 2018 21:23:00 -0000 (UTC), Wayne Boatwright
> wrote:

>There are countless views on pimiento cheese perfection. It can be a
>smooth and spreadable version sandwiched between two slices of white
>bread. It can be chunky, spiked with hot sauce and cayenne pepper,
>and stuffed into celery sticks. It can be made with extra mayonnaise
>for a creamy cracker topper. The list goes on and on. We found that,
>apart from the fundamental ingredients (cheese, pimientos, and mayo),
>the best pimiento cheese is the one you grew up eating. However you
>enjoy it, two things are essential: First, hand shred the cheese—some
>finely, some coarsely—for the best texture (a food processor will get
>the job done, but don’t cheat with the pre-grated stuff). Second,
>pick jarred pimientos that are diced, not sliced. This classic recipe
>works as a dip, spread, or all by itself.
>
>Serving Ideas: Serve on crackers, in sandwiches, stuffed in celery,
>etc.
>Internet Address: https://www.southernliving.com/recipes/basic-
>pimiento-cheese-recipe
>
>1 jar diced pimiento (4-oz.) drained
>1 1/2 cups Mayonnaise (duke's or Heinz)
>1 teaspoon Worcestershire sauce
>1 teaspoon finely grated yellow onion
>1/4 teaspoon cayenne pepper
>1 block extra-sharp yellow Cheddar cheese (8-oz.) finely shredded
>1 block sharp yellow Cheddar cheese (8-oz.) shredded
>
>Stir together pimiento, mayonnaise, Worcestershire, onion, and
>cayenne in a large bowl.
>
>Stir cheeses into pimiento mixture until well combined. Store covered
>in the refrigerator up to 1 week.

I never heard of pimento cheese until maybe a dozen years ago, here at
rfc. I still am unable to wrap my head around the mouth feel of
shredded cheese as a spread.
Janet US
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Wed, 01 Aug 2018 U.S. Janet B. wrote:

>I never heard of pimento cheese until maybe a dozen years ago, here at
>rfc. I still am unable to wrap my head around the mouth feel of
>shredded cheese as a spread.

The pimento cheese I've known since childhood is like a loaf of yellow
American that contains bits of pimento. It's sliced to order at
delis. Over the years it emmerged in various areas in forms such as
pimento singles and at one time Velveeta produced it. Of late I don't
see it anymore but then I don't look for it. Growing up pimento
singles was the cheese of choice for Toas-T-Tites.
I remember that Laughing Cow once produced pimento cheese.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Wednesday, August 1, 2018 at 1:06:35 PM UTC-4, U.S. Janet B. wrote:
> On Tue, 31 Jul 2018 21:23:00 -0000 (UTC), Wayne Boatwright
> > wrote:
>

> >There are countless views on pimiento cheese perfection. It can be a
> >smooth and spreadable version sandwiched between two slices of white
> >bread. It can be chunky, spiked with hot sauce and cayenne pepper,
> >and stuffed into celery sticks. It can be made with extra mayonnaise
> >for a creamy cracker topper. The list goes on and on. We found that,
> >apart from the fundamental ingredients (cheese, pimientos, and mayo),
> >the best pimiento cheese is the one you grew up eating. However you
> >enjoy it, two things are essential: First, hand shred the cheese€”some
> >finely, some coarsely€”for the best texture (a food processor will get
> >the job done, but dont cheat with the pre-grated stuff). Second,
> >pick jarred pimientos that are diced, not sliced. This classic recipe
> >works as a dip, spread, or all by itself.
> >
> >Serving Ideas: Serve on crackers, in sandwiches, stuffed in celery,
> >etc.
> >Internet Address: https://www.southernliving.com/recipes/basic-
> >pimiento-cheese-recipe
> >
> >1 jar diced pimiento (4-oz.) drained
> >1 1/2 cups Mayonnaise (duke's or Heinz)
> >1 teaspoon Worcestershire sauce
> >1 teaspoon finely grated yellow onion
> >1/4 teaspoon cayenne pepper
> >1 block extra-sharp yellow Cheddar cheese (8-oz.) finely shredded
> >1 block sharp yellow Cheddar cheese (8-oz.) shredded
> >
> >Stir together pimiento, mayonnaise, Worcestershire, onion, and
> >cayenne in a large bowl.
> >
> >Stir cheeses into pimiento mixture until well combined. Store covered
> >in the refrigerator up to 1 week.

> I never heard of pimento cheese until maybe a dozen years ago, here at
> rfc. I still am unable to wrap my head around the mouth feel of
> shredded cheese as a spread.

You know, I've never thought about it. The cheese spread that I make
is mixed to a smooth consistency, more or less.

Thinking about pimiento cheese with a base of mayonnaise and shreds
of cheese in it... It might be ok. I'm not that fond of pimientos,
anyway, so the whole thing never appealed that much.

Cindy Hamilton
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Wed, 01 Aug 2018 11:56:44 -0600, U.S. Janet B. >
wrote:

>On Wed, 01 Aug 2018 13:41:49 -0400, wrote:
>
>>On Wed, 01 Aug 2018 U.S. Janet B. wrote:
>>>
>>>I never heard of pimento cheese until maybe a dozen years ago, here at
>>>rfc. I still am unable to wrap my head around the mouth feel of
>>>shredded cheese as a spread.

>>The pimento cheese I've known since childhood is like a loaf of yellow
>>American that contains bits of pimento. It's sliced to order at
>>delis. Over the years it emmerged in various areas in forms such as
>>pimento singles and at one time Velveeta produced it. Of late I don't
>>see it anymore but then I don't look for it. Growing up pimento
>>singles was the cheese of choice for Toas-T-Tites.
>>I remember that Laughing Cow once produced pimento cheese.

>I know the stuff you are talking about. The stuff they are talking
>about here is different. I haven't seen the loaf/sliced stuff in
>years and years.

The Super Walmarts here sell the sliced to order pimento cheese. I've
never seen or even heard of pimento cheese spread before... but I
gotta say shredded cheese blendded with mayo sounds disgusting,
pimento or no pimento. Actually I thought it was something made up at
home by rednecks. My favorite homemade pimento cheese is creamcheese
mixed with chopped pimento stuffed olives, add enough evap it makes a
great chip dip. Creamcheese blended with mayo sounds Super
Disgusting. I think mayo with any cheese is TIAD. I enjoy a ham n'
swiss w' mustard but definitely hold the mayo.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Wednesday, August 1, 2018 at 1:06:37 PM UTC-5, Cindy Hamilton wrote:

> On Wednesday, August 1, 2018 at 1:06:35 PM UTC-4, U.S. Janet B. wrote:
> >
> > I never heard of pimento cheese until maybe a dozen years ago, here at
> > rfc. I still am unable to wrap my head around the mouth feel of
> > shredded cheese as a spread.

> You know, I've never thought about it. The cheese spread that I make
> is mixed to a smooth consistency, more or less.

Yes! It has a consistency so it's not like spreading plain mayo or
salad dressing but it is spreadable. YUM!

> Thinking about pimiento cheese with a base of mayonnaise and shreds
> of cheese in it... It might be ok. I'm not that fond of pimientos,
> anyway, so the whole thing never appealed that much.
>
> Cindy Hamilton

I don't think the pimentos really gave it all that much flavor, maybe
just color and eye appeal. If you can find it, Price's makes a very
good bacon pimento cheese.

Maybe pimento cheese is just a Southern thang. More than once I've had
thickly spread pimento cheese sandwiches accompanied by potato chips and
washed down with an ice cold coke for lunch.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

> wrote in message

> The Super Walmarts here sell the sliced to order pimento cheese. I've
> never seen or even heard of pimento cheese spread before

Surely you jest, never heard of it? I think some of your food choices might
be limited, maybe you need to get off your acreage more, there's a whole lot
of exciting food combos out there.

Cheri

Posted to rec.food.cooking

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Pimento_cheese

The bottom picture on the left is truly disgusting looking while the
picture on the right is too dry for me.

I don't follow golf so I never knew it was served at the Master Tournament
or there was a minor controversy about it in 2013.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

wrote:

>>>The pimento cheese I've known since childhood is like a loaf of yellow
>>>American that contains bits of pimento. It's sliced to order at
>>>delis. Over the years it emmerged in various areas in forms such as
>>>pimento singles and at one time Velveeta produced it. Of late I don't
>>>see it anymore but then I don't look for it. Growing up pimento
>>>singles was the cheese of choice for Toas-T-Tites.
>>>I remember that Laughing Cow once produced pimento cheese.

>>I know the stuff you are talking about. The stuff they are talking
>>about here is different. I haven't seen the loaf/sliced stuff in
>>years and years.

>The Super Walmarts here sell the sliced to order pimento cheese. I've
>never seen or even heard of pimento cheese spread before... but I
>gotta say shredded cheese blendded with mayo sounds disgusting,
>pimento or no pimento. Actually I thought it was something made up at
>home by rednecks. My favorite homemade pimento cheese is creamcheese
>mixed with chopped pimento stuffed olives, add enough evap it makes a
>great chip dip. Creamcheese blended with mayo sounds Super
>Disgusting. I think mayo with any cheese is TIAD. I enjoy a ham n'
>swiss w' mustard but definitely hold the mayo.

I do cream cheese, pimento olives and kalamata olives, some garlic
powder and toss it all into a small food processor. Works best if the
cream cheese is at super room temperature.
Janet US
Posted to rec.food.cooking

wrote:

> I think mayo with any cheese is TIAD.

Your loss.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

" wrote:

> Maybe pimento cheese is just a Southern thang. More than once I've had
> thickly spread pimento cheese sandwiches accompanied by potato chips and
> washed down with an ice cold coke for lunch.

I remember those from the 70's. It's been about that long too
since I've had one.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Wednesday, August 1, 2018 at 2:30:39 PM UTC-5, Gary wrote:

> " wrote:
> >
> > Maybe pimento cheese is just a Southern thang. More than once I've had
> > thickly spread pimento cheese sandwiches accompanied by potato chips and
> > washed down with an ice cold coke for lunch.

> I remember those from the 70's. It's been about that long too
> since I've had one.

Gooooooood stuff. Probably not the healthiest choice but tastes great
and filling, too.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

" wrote:

> On Wednesday, August 1, 2018 at 2:30:39 PM UTC-5, Gary wrote:
> >
> > " wrote:
> > >
> > > Maybe pimento cheese is just a Southern thang. More than once I've had
> > > thickly spread pimento cheese sandwiches accompanied by potato chips and
> > > washed down with an ice cold coke for lunch.

> > I remember those from the 70's. It's been about that long too
> > since I've had one.
> >

> Gooooooood stuff. Probably not the healthiest choice but tastes great
> and filling, too.

Agreed. I'm tempted now to try one again. On very fresh white
bread...maybe a bit of iceberg lettuce?
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Wednesday, August 1, 2018 at 2:50:19 PM UTC-5, Gary wrote:

> " wrote:
> >
> > Gooooooood stuff. Probably not the healthiest choice but tastes great
> > and filling, too.

> Agreed. I'm tempted now to try one again. On very fresh white
> bread...maybe a bit of iceberg lettuce?

Naw, go with the traditional plain potato chips and maybe some olives
on the side for variety.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Wednesday, August 1, 2018 at 3:56:54 PM UTC-5, Dave Smith wrote:

> I was reminded of another cheese of the past..... flavoured
> cream cheese, like pineapple and orange. I have not seen it in a long
> time, but is could be in that part of the dairy section that I just
> bother with.

In small jars that doubled as juice glasses once empty.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Wed, 1 Aug 2018 14:33:33 -0700 (PDT), "
> wrote:

>On Wednesday, August 1, 2018 at 3:56:54 PM UTC-5, Dave Smith wrote:
>>
>> I was reminded of another cheese of the past..... flavoured
>> cream cheese, like pineapple and orange. I have not seen it in a long
>> time, but is could be in that part of the dairy section that I just
>> bother with.
>>

>In small jars that doubled as juice glasses once empty.

I don't remember flavored creamcheese, perhaps I never noticed it. I
do rememer all the different flavored cottage cheeses, I remember
pineapple, not orange... then garden salad with minced veggies.
I still remember whan there was only plain yogurt, now umpteen flavors
and a dozen types of yogurt... and the containers shrunk to baby food
size and with ridiculously high prices. I remember buying Dannon
plain yogurt in quart containers for under a dollar... and was the
best yogurt, far better than any produced today. I think Yoplait is
garbage.... I rather eat low fat cottage cheese, and I add my own
fruits/veggies. I like large curd cottage cheese with chopped green
onyuns, chopped curly parsley, and black pepper, sometimes with a big
blob of sour cream. I don't like the word 'dollop', sounds stingy...
big blob is sexier... as in Big Blob Bra. Better than cottage cheese
is pot cheese, larger curds and creamier. When I can find it I prefer
it to ricotta for lasagna. My grand mother would buy Crowleys pot
cheese in gallon tins, served for breakfast on homemade Russian black
bread with her homemade jams from her own fruit trees. When I spent
summers there breakfast was the biggest meal of the day, not that
dinner was skimpy, lunch was a snack. My grand parents owned a B & B
in the Catskills, in those days it was called a tourist home. They
immigrated from Riga during WWI, went through Ellis Island, became US
citizens, LEGALLY, worked very hard all their lives, lived into their
mid 90s. My father arrived at fourteen, he was a world class gymnast.
At Ellis Island Elushka became Ely, prounounced the same as Eli. In
Riga my grand parents were wealthy furriers, they arrived in America
penniless. They worked hard and and did well. Anyone who is willing
to work hard in America and obey the law can do well. My father
enlisted in the Navy and became Admiral Halsy's body guard. Serving in
the South Pacific he came home all shot up, but still did well, never
collected food stamps, my father would never take charity, for my
father and mother charity was not an option.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

wrote:
> On Wed, 1 Aug 2018 14:33:33 -0700 (PDT), "
> > wrote:
>
>> On Wednesday, August 1, 2018 at 3:56:54 PM UTC-5, Dave Smith wrote:
>>>
>>> I was reminded of another cheese of the past..... flavoured
>>> cream cheese, like pineapple and orange. I have not seen it in a long
>>> time, but is could be in that part of the dairy section that I just
>>> bother with.
>>>

>> In small jars that doubled as juice glasses once empty.

> I don't remember flavored creamcheese, perhaps I never noticed it. I
> do rememer all the different flavored cottage cheeses, I remember
> pineapple, not orange... then garden salad with minced veggies.
> I still remember whan there was only plain yogurt, now umpteen flavors
> and a dozen types of yogurt... and the containers shrunk to baby food
> size and with ridiculously high prices. I remember buying Dannon
> plain yogurt in quart containers for under a dollar... and was the
> best yogurt, far better than any produced today. I think Yoplait is
> garbage.... I rather eat low fat cottage cheese, and I add my own
> fruits/veggies. I like large curd cottage cheese with chopped green
> onyuns, chopped curly parsley, and black pepper, sometimes with a big
> blob of sour cream. I don't like the word 'dollop', sounds stingy...
> big blob is sexier... as in Big Blob Bra. Better than cottage cheese
> is pot cheese, larger curds and creamier. When I can find it I prefer
> it to ricotta for lasagna. My grand mother would buy Crowleys pot
> cheese in gallon tins, served for breakfast on homemade Russian black
> bread with her homemade jams from her own fruit trees. When I spent
> summers there breakfast was the biggest meal of the day, not that
> dinner was skimpy, lunch was a snack. My grand parents owned a B & B
> in the Catskills, in those days it was called a tourist home. They
> immigrated from Riga during WWI, went through Ellis Island, became US
> citizens, LEGALLY, worked very hard all their lives, lived into their
> mid 90s. My father arrived at fourteen, he was a world class gymnast.
> At Ellis Island Elushka became Ely, prounounced the same as Eli. In
> Riga my grand parents were wealthy furriers, they arrived in America
> penniless. They worked hard and and did well. Anyone who is willing
> to work hard in America and obey the law can do well. My father
> enlisted in the Navy and became Admiral Halsy's body guard. Serving in
> the South Pacific he came home all shot up, but still did well, never
> collected food stamps, my father would never take charity, for my
> father and mother charity was not an option.

OK, sounds good Popeye.

What is yoose granma's recipe for pimento chese?

Was she also a sailor like yoose?

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Wed, 1 Aug 2018 17:46:46 -0400, Dave Smith wrote:

> I occasionally by Philadelphia cream cheese
> [...] they do still sell the flavoured stuff.

The only flavour I like is the smoked salmon.

--
http://mduffy.x10host.com/index.htm
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Wed, 1 Aug 2018 21:02:00 -0000 (UTC), Wayne Boatwright
> wrote:

>On Wed 01 Aug 2018 10:06:28a, U.S. Janet B. told us...
>
>> On Tue, 31 Jul 2018 21:23:00 -0000 (UTC), Wayne Boatwright
>> > wrote:
>>

>>>There are countless views on pimiento cheese perfection. It can be
>>>a smooth and spreadable version sandwiched between two slices of
>>>white bread. It can be chunky, spiked with hot sauce and cayenne
>>>pepper, and stuffed into celery sticks. It can be made with extra
>>>mayonnaise for a creamy cracker topper. The list goes on and on.
>>>We found that, apart from the fundamental ingredients (cheese,
>>>pimientos, and mayo), the best pimiento cheese is the one you
>>>grew up eating. However you enjoy it, two things are essential:
>>>First, hand shred the cheese—some finely, some coarsely—for the
>>>best texture (a food processor will get the job done, but don’t
>>>cheat with the pre-grated stuff). Second, pick jarred pimientos
>>>that are diced, not sliced. This classic recipe works as a dip,
>>>spread, or all by itself.
>>>
>>>Serving Ideas: Serve on crackers, in sandwiches, stuffed in
>>>celery, etc. Internet Address:
>>>https://www.southernliving.com/recipes/basic-
>>>pimiento-cheese-recipe
>>>
>>>1 jar diced pimiento (4-oz.) drained
>>>1 1/2 cups Mayonnaise (duke's or Heinz)
>>>1 teaspoon Worcestershire sauce
>>>1 teaspoon finely grated yellow onion
>>>1/4 teaspoon cayenne pepper
>>>1 block extra-sharp yellow Cheddar cheese (8-oz.) finely shredded
>>>1 block sharp yellow Cheddar cheese (8-oz.) shredded
>>>
>>>Stir together pimiento, mayonnaise, Worcestershire, onion, and
>>>cayenne in a large bowl.
>>>
>>>Stir cheeses into pimiento mixture until well combined. Store
>>>covered in the refrigerator up to 1 week.

>> I never heard of pimento cheese until maybe a dozen years ago,
>> here at rfc. I still am unable to wrap my head around the mouth
>> feel of shredded cheese as a spread.
>> Janet US

>First off, it's highly regional. As to wrapping your head around it,
>by the time the shredded cheese is THOROUGHLY mixed with all the
>other ingrdients there really aen't highly discernable shreds if it's
>been mixed properly. Granted, it does have some texture but for the
>most part it is a relatively smooth spread.

I'm thinking about trying it
Posted to rec.food.cooking

"Mike_Duffy" > wrote in message
.. .
> On Wed, 1 Aug 2018 17:46:46 -0400, Dave Smith wrote:
>
>> I occasionally by Philadelphia cream cheese
>> [...] they do still sell the flavoured stuff.

> The only flavour I like is the smoked salmon.

I've never tried the fruit, but I do like the salmon.

Cheri

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Wed, 1 Aug 2018 19:15:50 -0700, "Cheri" >
wrote:

>"Mike_Duffy" > wrote in message
. ..
>> On Wed, 1 Aug 2018 17:46:46 -0400, Dave Smith wrote:
>>
>>> I occasionally by Philadelphia cream cheese
>>> [...] they do still sell the flavoured stuff.

>> The only flavour I like is the smoked salmon.

>I've never tried the fruit, but I do like the salmon.

Salmon isn't fruit. It's a fish.