Posted to rec.food.cooking

Default Southern Style Pimiento Cheese

On Wednesday, August 1, 2018 at 1:06:35 PM UTC-4, U.S. Janet B. wrote:
> On Tue, 31 Jul 2018 21:23:00 -0000 (UTC), Wayne Boatwright
> > wrote:
>

> >There are countless views on pimiento cheese perfection. It can be a
> >smooth and spreadable version sandwiched between two slices of white
> >bread. It can be chunky, spiked with hot sauce and cayenne pepper,
> >and stuffed into celery sticks. It can be made with extra mayonnaise
> >for a creamy cracker topper. The list goes on and on. We found that,
> >apart from the fundamental ingredients (cheese, pimientos, and mayo),
> >the best pimiento cheese is the one you grew up eating. However you
> >enjoy it, two things are essential: First, hand shred the cheese€”some
> >finely, some coarsely€”for the best texture (a food processor will get
> >the job done, but dont cheat with the pre-grated stuff). Second,
> >pick jarred pimientos that are diced, not sliced. This classic recipe
> >works as a dip, spread, or all by itself.
> >
> >Serving Ideas: Serve on crackers, in sandwiches, stuffed in celery,
> >etc.
> >Internet Address: https://www.southernliving.com/recipes/basic-
> >pimiento-cheese-recipe
> >
> >1 jar diced pimiento (4-oz.) drained
> >1 1/2 cups Mayonnaise (duke's or Heinz)
> >1 teaspoon Worcestershire sauce
> >1 teaspoon finely grated yellow onion
> >1/4 teaspoon cayenne pepper
> >1 block extra-sharp yellow Cheddar cheese (8-oz.) finely shredded
> >1 block sharp yellow Cheddar cheese (8-oz.) shredded
> >
> >Stir together pimiento, mayonnaise, Worcestershire, onion, and
> >cayenne in a large bowl.
> >
> >Stir cheeses into pimiento mixture until well combined. Store covered
> >in the refrigerator up to 1 week.

> I never heard of pimento cheese until maybe a dozen years ago, here at
> rfc. I still am unable to wrap my head around the mouth feel of
> shredded cheese as a spread.

You know, I've never thought about it. The cheese spread that I make
is mixed to a smooth consistency, more or less.

Thinking about pimiento cheese with a base of mayonnaise and shreds
of cheese in it... It might be ok. I'm not that fond of pimientos,
anyway, so the whole thing never appealed that much.

Cindy Hamilton