Posted to rec.food.cooking

Default Pimiento Cheese ...

.... is freakin' awesome on burgers.

That is all.

Thanks to you southern folk who turned me onto the stuff.

--
Silvar Beitel
(back to being a very occasional poster, but *damn*, that was good!)
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Jun 10, 12:56*pm, wrote:
> ... is freakin' awesome on burgers.
>
> That is all.
>
> Thanks to you southern folk who turned me onto the stuff.
>
> --
> Silvar Beitel
> (back to being a very occasional poster, but *damn*, that was good!)

Hate pimiento but love the jalepaneo cheese!!
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Jun 10, 3:56 pm, wrote:
> ... is freakin' awesome on burgers.
>
> That is all.
>
> Thanks to you southern folk who turned me onto the stuff.
>
> --
> Silvar Beitel
> (back to being a very occasional poster, but *damn*, that was good!)

Details:

Cheese mixtu More or less followed this:

http://www.npr.org/templates/story/s...toryId=6877304

(Pickles are definitely a tasty addition.)

Burgers: Ground turkey burgers:

20 oz. ground turkey
1/2 cup fresh bread crumbs
1 egg
1/4 cup raw minced onion
1/4 cup raw minced green bell pepper
1 packet Goya seasoning

all mushed together and formed into 6 patties. Brushed with oil,
salted and peppered, then grilled.

Homemade buns:

3 cups flour
2 Tbsp honey
1 tsp. salt
1/3 cup milk powder
1/3 cup instant mashed potatoes
2 Tbsp butter
3 egg yolks (I had a bunch leftover from making an angel food cake for
my wife's birthday)
1 1/3 cup water
1 1/2 tsp. "instant" yeast

Bread machine run on dough cycle. When done, rolled out into a 1/2-
inch thick sheet, cut into 4-inch diameter rounds, placed on corn-
mealed baking trays, let rise another ~45 minutes, baked in preheated
350 degree oven for ~20 minutes.

Served with fresh tomato slices, fresh thin sweet onion slices, and
green leaf lettuce.

--
Silvar Beitel
(very occasional poster)
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Jun 10, 3:44*pm, wrote:

> Burgers: Ground turkey burgers:
>
> 20 oz. ground turkey
> 1/2 cup fresh bread crumbs
> 1 egg
> 1/4 cup raw minced onion
> 1/4 cup raw minced green bell pepper
> 1 *packet Goya seasoning

Those aren't burgers, that is turkey meatloaf.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Jun 10, 6:25 pm, wrote:
> On Jun 10, 3:44 pm, wrote:
>

> > Burgers: Ground turkey burgers:

> > 20 oz. ground turkey
> > 1/2 cup fresh bread crumbs
> > 1 egg
> > 1/4 cup raw minced onion
> > 1/4 cup raw minced green bell pepper
> > 1 packet Goya seasoning

> Those aren't burgers, that is turkey meatloaf.

<shrug> OK.

My family, for whatever reasons, prefers not to eat red meat, so
ground turkey is the default for burgers. But it is generally pretty
lean stuff, so I put in some wet ingredients to keep them from being
hockey pucks.

--
Silvar Beitel
(occasional poster)

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Wed, 10 Jun 2009 15:25:35 -0700 (PDT),
wrote:

>Those aren't burgers, that is turkey meatloaf.

How would YOU make it different? Didn't like that recipe so I am
positive you have something to contribute....

Posted to rec.food.cooking

> wrote in message
> ... is freakin' awesome on burgers.
>
> That is all.
>
> Thanks to you southern folk who turned me onto the stuff.
>
> --
> Silvar Beitel
> (back to being a very occasional poster, but *damn*, that was good!)

Try making your burger mixture, make two smaller patties, flatten them out
in the center, fill one with your fave cheese mixture, top with the other,
crimp edges together and grill. Cheese in the burger.
-ginny

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Thu, 11 Jun 2009 10:04:48 -0400, "Virginia Tadrzynski"
> wrote:

> wrote in message
>> ... is freakin' awesome on burgers.
>>
>> That is all.
>>
>> Thanks to you southern folk who turned me onto the stuff.
>>
>> --
>> Silvar Beitel
>> (back to being a very occasional poster, but *damn*, that was good!)

>Try making your burger mixture, make two smaller patties, flatten them out
>in the center, fill one with your fave cheese mixture, top with the other,
>crimp edges together and grill. Cheese in the burger.
>-ginny

That method works good but you need the topper patty made smaller than
the base. You make a well in the bottom patty. We do it with blue
cheese al the time.

Lou

Posted to rec.food.cooking

You ain't from around here...now are ya...

We call and spell it Pimento cheese

Signed: A transplanted Yankee loving 35 years in the South.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

Default Do Watermelon and Tomatoes Go Together? (was Pimiento Cheese)

Silvar wrote:

> ... is freakin' awesome on burgers.
>
> That is all.
>
> Thanks to you southern folk who turned me onto the stuff.

On a recent episode of Iron Chef America, Cat Cora put pimento cheese on a
burger. On top of the cheese she put a thin slice of watermelon which had
been vacuum-marinated with V8 juice. I thought the combination sounded
weird, but the judges liked it.

This wasn't the first time I'd seen the combination of watermelon and
tomato: José Andrés makes an appetizer of watermelon cubes with lemon
vinaigrette and tomato "caviar" (the goop-covered innards of tomatoes). The
recipe is in his book _Tapas: A Taste of Spain in America_.

I still haven't gotten around to trying tomato and watermelon together. Does
it sound intriguing, or nasty?

Bob

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Jun 12, 6:01*am, "Bob Terwilliger" >
wrote:
> Silvar wrote:
> > ... is freakin' awesome on burgers.

> > That is all.

> > Thanks to you southern folk who turned me onto the stuff.

> On a recent episode of Iron Chef America, Cat Cora put pimento cheese on a
> burger. On top of the cheese she put a thin slice of watermelon which had
> been vacuum-marinated with V8 juice. I thought the combination sounded
> weird, but the judges liked it.
>
> This wasn't the first time I'd seen the combination of watermelon and
> tomato: José Andrés makes an appetizer of watermelon cubes with lemon
> vinaigrette and tomato "caviar" (the goop-covered innards of tomatoes).

I've never heard that term, but I could eat tomato seeds by the quart.

> The recipe is in his book _Tapas: A Taste of Spain in America_.
>
> I still haven't gotten around to trying tomato and watermelon together. Does
> it sound intriguing, or nasty?

Nasty. Watermelon gets icky and weird after it's been cut. The above
marinated thing sounds like someone got overly adventurous. It's like
that make a sentence by randomly assembling nouns, verbs, adjectives
and such. How about crawfish dusted with cocoa and powdered sugar?

> Bob

--Bryan
Posted to rec.food.cooking

Bob Terwilliger wrote:
> Silvar wrote:
>
>> ... is freakin' awesome on burgers.
>>
>> That is all.
>>
>> Thanks to you southern folk who turned me onto the stuff.

> On a recent episode of Iron Chef America, Cat Cora put pimento cheese on
> a burger. On top of the cheese she put a thin slice of watermelon which
> had been vacuum-marinated with V8 juice. I thought the combination
> sounded weird, but the judges liked it.
>
> This wasn't the first time I'd seen the combination of watermelon and
> tomato: José Andrés makes an appetizer of watermelon cubes with lemon
> vinaigrette and tomato "caviar" (the goop-covered innards of tomatoes).
> The recipe is in his book _Tapas: A Taste of Spain in America_.
>
> I still haven't gotten around to trying tomato and watermelon together.
> Does it sound intriguing, or nasty?
>
> Bob

I don't know why not, both tomatoes and watermelon pickle well, and take
on a different dimension with a bit of salt. Every try a sprinkle of
salt on your watermelon? If you haven't, you should (do the same with a
granny smith apple). The V8 and cheese would both add a salty contrast.

Bob
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Jun 11, 7:33*pm, Becca > wrote:
> wrote:
> > On Jun 10, 3:44 pm, wrote:

> >> Burgers: Ground turkey burgers:

> >> 20 oz. ground turkey
> >> 1/2 cup fresh bread crumbs
> >> 1 egg
> >> 1/4 cup raw minced onion
> >> 1/4 cup raw minced green bell pepper
> >> 1 *packet Goya seasoning

> > Those aren't burgers, that is turkey meatloaf.

True. Who thinks up stuff like that?

> Went to a pool party Saturday, with a "Cheeseburgers in Paradise"
> theme. *We were offered cheeseburgers, turkey burgers or vegetarian
> burgers. *I could see having a vegetarian alternative, but I was
> intrigued by the addition of turkey burgers. *Four people chose turkey
> burgers.

My MIL, whom I love dearly, is beef-o-phobic, and uses ground turkey
in pasta sauce. Turkey burgers are like skim milk. Sure it's
healthier, but at the cost of pleasure.

> Becca

--Bryan
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Fri, 12 Jun 2009 04:01:25 -0700, "Bob Terwilliger"
> wrote:

>I still haven't gotten around to trying tomato and watermelon together. Does
>it sound intriguing, or nasty?

That combination doesn't appeal to me at all, cucumber and watermelon
does though.

--
I love cooking with wine.
Sometimes I even put it in the food.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Fri, 12 Jun 2009 08:14:10 -0400, Bob Muncie >
wrote:

>Bob Terwilliger wrote:
>>
>> I still haven't gotten around to trying tomato and watermelon together.
>> Does it sound intriguing, or nasty?
>>
>> Bob

>I don't know why not, both tomatoes and watermelon pickle well, and take
>on a different dimension with a bit of salt. Every try a sprinkle of
>salt on your watermelon?

Yes and I didn't like it. When I eat watermelon as dessert I want it
to be sweet, not salty. I'd be more open minded if it wasn't dessert.

>If you haven't, you should (do the same with a
>granny smith apple). The V8 and cheese would both add a salty contrast.

People commonly eat cheese and apples together, pears and cheese too.
I've seen salad recipes with feta or ricotta salata and watermelon
together, it sounds intriguing - but watermelon and tomato in any form
doesn't sound appetizing at all. Maybe with the right dressing...

--
I love cooking with wine.
Sometimes I even put it in the food.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Fri, 12 Jun 2009 04:01:25 -0700, "Bob Terwilliger"
> wrote:

>Silvar wrote:
>
>> ... is freakin' awesome on burgers.
>>
>> That is all.
>>
>> Thanks to you southern folk who turned me onto the stuff.

>On a recent episode of Iron Chef America, Cat Cora put pimento cheese on a
>burger. On top of the cheese she put a thin slice of watermelon which had
>been vacuum-marinated with V8 juice. I thought the combination sounded
>weird, but the judges liked it.
>
>This wasn't the first time I'd seen the combination of watermelon and
>tomato: José Andrés makes an appetizer of watermelon cubes with lemon
>vinaigrette and tomato "caviar" (the goop-covered innards of tomatoes). The
>recipe is in his book _Tapas: A Taste of Spain in America_.
>
>I still haven't gotten around to trying tomato and watermelon together. Does
>it sound intriguing, or nasty?
>
>Bob

The Watermelon Salad Kimberly posted calls for green tomato. I've
never been able to find green tomato so I halve cherry tomatoes and
use them. I'ts delicious.

Watermelon salad
1/2 Vidalia onion, thinly sliced (if you can't find a Vidalia, you can
use a white
onion)
2 tablespoons red-wine vinegar
2 tablespoons orange juice (preferably fresh)
2 teaspoons honey
1/2 jalapeńo, seeded, veined and finely minced
1 small garlic clove, halved
1 teaspoon salt
1/2 teaspoon freshly ground black peppercorns
6 tablespoons extra-virgin olive oil
3-pound seedless watermelon, rind removed, cut into 11/2-inch chunks
(about 6 cups)
1 medium green tomato, halved and thinly sliced
1/4 cup fresh whole mint leaves
4 cups arugula, tough ends removed

.. Soak the onions in a large bowl of ice water for 20 minutes. Drain,
blot with a paper towel, and set aside.

.. While the onions soak, whisk the red-wine vinegar, orange juice,
honey, jalapeńos, garlic halves, salt and pepper in a medium bowl. Set
aside for 10 minutes, then remove and discard the garlic and slowly
whisk in the olive oil. Taste for seasoning and adjust if necessary.

.. Place the watermelon, green tomatoes, onions and fresh mint leaves
in a large bowl. Season with a little salt and pepper, add the arugula
and the dressing and gently
toss to coat. Taste for seasoning and serve immediately.
Kimberly on rfc

koko
--

There is no love more sincere than the love of food
George Bernard Shaw
Posted to rec.food.cooking

koko wrote:
> On Fri, 12 Jun 2009 04:01:25 -0700, "Bob Terwilliger"
> > wrote:
>
>> Silvar wrote:
>>
>>> ... is freakin' awesome on burgers.
>>>
>>> That is all.
>>>
>>> Thanks to you southern folk who turned me onto the stuff.

>> On a recent episode of Iron Chef America, Cat Cora put pimento cheese on a
>> burger. On top of the cheese she put a thin slice of watermelon which had
>> been vacuum-marinated with V8 juice. I thought the combination sounded
>> weird, but the judges liked it.
>>
>> This wasn't the first time I'd seen the combination of watermelon and
>> tomato: José Andrés makes an appetizer of watermelon cubes with lemon
>> vinaigrette and tomato "caviar" (the goop-covered innards of tomatoes). The
>> recipe is in his book _Tapas: A Taste of Spain in America_.
>>
>> I still haven't gotten around to trying tomato and watermelon together. Does
>> it sound intriguing, or nasty?
>>
>> Bob

> The Watermelon Salad Kimberly posted calls for green tomato. I've
> never been able to find green tomato so I halve cherry tomatoes and
> use them. I'ts delicious.
>

> Watermelon salad
> 1/2 Vidalia onion, thinly sliced (if you can't find a Vidalia, you can
> use a white
> onion)
> 2 tablespoons red-wine vinegar
> 2 tablespoons orange juice (preferably fresh)
> 2 teaspoons honey
> 1/2 jalapeńo, seeded, veined and finely minced
> 1 small garlic clove, halved
> 1 teaspoon salt
> 1/2 teaspoon freshly ground black peppercorns
> 6 tablespoons extra-virgin olive oil
> 3-pound seedless watermelon, rind removed, cut into 11/2-inch chunks
> (about 6 cups)
> 1 medium green tomato, halved and thinly sliced
> 1/4 cup fresh whole mint leaves
> 4 cups arugula, tough ends removed
>
> . Soak the onions in a large bowl of ice water for 20 minutes. Drain,
> blot with a paper towel, and set aside.
>
> . While the onions soak, whisk the red-wine vinegar, orange juice,
> honey, jalapeńos, garlic halves, salt and pepper in a medium bowl. Set
> aside for 10 minutes, then remove and discard the garlic and slowly
> whisk in the olive oil. Taste for seasoning and adjust if necessary.
>
> . Place the watermelon, green tomatoes, onions and fresh mint leaves
> in a large bowl. Season with a little salt and pepper, add the arugula
> and the dressing and gently
> toss to coat. Taste for seasoning and serve immediately.
> Kimberly on rfc
>
> koko
> --
>
> There is no love more sincere than the love of food
> George Bernard Shaw
> www.kokoscorner.typepad.com
> updated 06/03

Thanks koko!

That's exactly the kind of salad I like in the summertime, and I'll have
plenty of green tomatoes as I'm growing my own this year.

Bob
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Jun 12, 6:48 am, Mr. Bill > wrote:
> You ain't from around here...now are ya...
>
> We call and spell it Pimento cheese
>
> Signed: A transplanted Yankee loving 35 years in the South.

<Solemnly> OK. I promise that from now on I will call it Pimento
Cheese, whatever the label on that jar of peppers said :-)

Signed: A Midwestern native who ended up in New England, um, 28 years
ago. Whether I love it or not depends on when you ask me. Right now,
yes, very much. Early March toward the end of a long winter, not so
much. :-)

--
Silvar Beitel
(occasional poster)
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Jun 10, 7:25*pm, Mr. Bill > wrote:
> On Wed, 10 Jun 2009 15:25:35 -0700 (PDT),
>
> wrote:
> >Those aren't burgers, that is turkey meatloaf.

> How would YOU make it different? * *Didn't like that recipe so I am
> positive you have something to contribute....

You need a recipe for burgers? Ho'kaaaaay........take some fresh
ground chuck and form patties.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Jun 12, 9:15 am, Bobo Bonobo® > wrote:
> > wrote:
> > > Those aren't burgers, that is turkey meatloaf.

> True. Who thinks up stuff like that?

If you have a suggestion or recipe for good burgers that doesn't
include beef or pork, I'm willing to listen.

--
Silvar Beitel
(occasional poster)
Posted to rec.food.cooking

Silvar Beitel > wrote:

>If you have a suggestion or recipe for good burgers that doesn't
>include beef or pork, I'm willing to listen.

Lamb burgers are straightforward and very good.

I've actually never heard of a pork burger. A pork sausage
sandwich, sure, wherein the pork is seasoned as per Italian sausage.
I guess that's essentially a pork burger.

Steve
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Fri, 12 Jun 2009 12:54:03 -0700 (PDT), projectile vomit chick

Buffoon
Posted to rec.food.cooking

wrote:

>>True. Who thinks up stuff like that?

> If you have a suggestion or recipe for good burgers that doesn't
> include beef or pork, I'm willing to listen.
>
> --
> Silvar Beitel
> (occasional poster)

Like 'hamburgers' are routinely made of ham, or only made and eaten in
Germany by porcine mayors

One of my favorite meat mix is a combo of ground chicken and shrimp or
other seafood.

Mix well with a bit of seasoning and garlic, pan sautŽ in a bit of
butter and serve on bread with garlic mayo, lettuce & tomato.

Ground lamb with various middle easter seasonings is nice, i often use a
falafel mix and serve it as a burger.

If you use pitta or pocket bread you can get a nice big amount of salad
in there with the meat or falafel and serve with a cucumber, yogurt and
lemon sauce.

Chicken breast sandwiches are very nice, same with a nice fish fillet
sandwich, and no it does not have to be breaded and fried. Poached and
then seasoned with lemon & garlic butter and served as a sandwich on a
bed of lettuce or sprouts is very nice.
--
Mr. Joseph Littleshoes Esq.

Domine, dirige nos.
Let the games begin!
http://www.dancingmice.net/Karn%20Evil%209.mp3

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Jun 12, 9:15 am, Bobo Bonobo® > wrote:

> True. Who thinks up stuff like that?

And another thing, Snobbo. Someone who posts (5/12):

> Serve with melted butter and maple syrup (1/3 pure
> maple, 2/3 Karo light corn syrup). So good.

would be shot on sight around here, so take your criticisms of turkey
burgers and, um, oh heck, do whatever you want with 'em. :-) Just
don't adulterate perfectly good maple syrup that way.

--
Silvar Beitel
(occasional poster and militant maple-syruper)

Posted to rec.food.cooking

"sf" > wrote in message
> On Fri, 12 Jun 2009 04:01:25 -0700, "Bob Terwilliger"
> > wrote:
>
>>I still haven't gotten around to trying tomato and watermelon together.
>>Does
>>it sound intriguing, or nasty?

> That combination doesn't appeal to me at all, cucumber and watermelon
> does though.

I just brought what must be a 40 lb seedless watermelon home from VA . It
was $3.99, I could not resist. The glass shelf in my fridge is bowed.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

Bobo wrote:

> Watermelon gets icky and weird after it's been cut.

So you advocate not cutting it?

Bob
Posted to rec.food.cooking

"Ailurophile" wrote:

> Bobo wrote:
>
>> Watermelon gets icky and weird after it's been cut.

> So you advocate not cutting it?
>
> Bob

I *knew* you were a sockpuppet! (I just didn't know you were *me*!)

Bob
Posted to rec.food.cooking

virtualgoth wrote:

>>> Watermelon gets icky and weird after it's been cut.

>> So you advocate not cutting it?
>>
>> Bob

> I *knew* you were a sockpuppet! (I just didn't know you were *me*!)

I am sorry, my naughty kitty sent my message before I was done writing it! I
meant to write:

So you advocate not cutting it?

Bobo, I confess that most of your posts mistify me.

Kitty, looking at the moon in the clouds

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Fri, 12 Jun 2009 22:49:42 -0400, "cybercat" >
wrote:

>"sf" > wrote in message
.. .
>> On Fri, 12 Jun 2009 04:01:25 -0700, "Bob Terwilliger"
>> > wrote:
>>
>>>I still haven't gotten around to trying tomato and watermelon together.
>>>Does
>>>it sound intriguing, or nasty?

>> That combination doesn't appeal to me at all, cucumber and watermelon
>> does though.
>>

>I just brought what must be a 40 lb seedless watermelon home from VA . It
>was $3.99, I could not resist. The glass shelf in my fridge is bowed.

OMG! I didn't know they came that big. The seedless variety we have
around here look like baby watermelons... round and cute. So, are you
going to try something different with part of it?

--
I love cooking with wine.
Sometimes I even put it in the food.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Jun 12, 4:11*pm, Silvar Beitel > wrote:
> On Jun 12, 9:15 am, Bobo Bonobo® > wrote:
>
> > True. *Who thinks up stuff like that?

> And another thing, Snobbo. *Someone who posts (5/12):
>
> > Serve with melted butter and maple syrup (1/3 pure
> > maple, 2/3 Karo light corn syrup). *So good.

> would be shot on sight around here, so take your criticisms of turkey
> burgers and, um, oh heck, do whatever you want with 'em. :-) *Just
> don't adulterate perfectly good maple syrup that way.

Maple syrup is expensive, and it has an intense flavor. I'd use the
term extend instead of adulterate, but I get your point. What I was
saying is that a perfectly palatable, *naturally flavored* syrup made
as I described is both less expensive and better tasting than the
artificially "maple" flavored syrups that are the norm for American
pancake syrups, or the partly naturally maple flavored ones which
often contain the very minimum (2%) of real maple syrup. Regular
light corn syrup is corn syrup with a tiny bit of salt and natural
vanilla.

> --
> Silvar Beitel
> (occasional poster and militant maple-syruper)

If "maple-syruper" means that you have trees and make your own, hey,
more power to ya. If cost was not a consideration, I'd agree 100%. I
suppose that you'd consider extending with sucrose syrup to be totally
unacceptable as well.

--Bryan

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Jun 12, 3:26*pm, (Steve Pope) wrote:
> Silvar Beitel > wrote:
>
> >If you have a suggestion or recipe for good burgers that doesn't
> >include beef or pork, I'm willing to listen.

> Lamb burgers are straightforward and very good.

Silvar, I think that Steve answered your request. The ground lamb
from the supermarket is fattier than I'd prefer, so I cook it medium
instead of MR. A nice thing to do with lamb burgers is to make a
spread to put on toasted buns, consisting of butter, oregano, fresh
pressed garlic, black pepper and salt, heated slowly, then applied to
the toasted buns. I'd cook the burgers over lump charcoal rather than
seasoned hickory in this case, as I would rather have less
smokiness.

> Steve

--Bryan
Posted to rec.food.cooking

"sf" > wrote

> So, are you
> going to try something different with part of it?

Oh hell no. I am going to periodically bury my face in it until I think I
will explode. I love watermelon.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

cybercat wrote:
> "sf" > wrote
>

>>So, are you
>>going to try something different with part of it?
>>

> Oh hell no. I am going to periodically bury my face in it until I think I
> will explode. I love watermelon.

Ever make watermelon pickles?
--
Mr. Joseph Littleshoes Esq.

Domine, dirige nos.
Let the games begin!
http://www.dancingmice.net/Karn%20Evil%209.mp3

Posted to rec.food.cooking

cyberpurrs wrote:

> I just brought what must be a 40 lb seedless watermelon home from VA . It
> was $3.99, I could not resist. The glass shelf in my fridge is bowed.

My cat Sackajeweeya begs for watermelon whenever I cut it up. But when I
give it to her she doesn't want it any more! She probably thinks it's meat
when she's begging.

Kitty, keenly scrutinizing the back yard

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Jun 13, 1:05 am, Bobo Bonobo® > wrote:
> On Jun 12, 4:11 pm, Silvar Beitel > wrote:
>
> > On Jun 12, 9:15 am, Bobo Bonobo® > wrote:

> > > True. Who thinks up stuff like that?

> > And another thing, Snobbo. Someone who posts (5/12):

> > > Serve with melted butter and maple syrup (1/3 pure
> > > maple, 2/3 Karo light corn syrup). So good.

> > would be shot on sight around here, so take your criticisms of turkey
> > burgers and, um, oh heck, do whatever you want with 'em. :-) Just
> > don't adulterate perfectly good maple syrup that way.

> Maple syrup is expensive, and it has an intense flavor. I'd use the
> term extend instead of adulterate, but I get your point. What I was
> saying is that a perfectly palatable, *naturally flavored* syrup made
> as I described is both less expensive and better tasting than the
> artificially "maple" flavored syrups that are the norm for American
> pancake syrups, or the partly naturally maple flavored ones which
> often contain the very minimum (2%) of real maple syrup. Regular
> light corn syrup is corn syrup with a tiny bit of salt and natural
> vanilla.

I was just teasing. You're right; the stuff is not cheap and even *I*
think it's too sweet sometimes.

Plus, if your blend tastes right to you, then that's the stuff to use!

> > --
> > Silvar Beitel
> > (occasional poster and militant maple-syruper)

> If "maple-syruper" means that you have trees and make your own, hey,
> more power to ya. If cost was not a consideration, I'd agree 100%. I
> suppose that you'd consider extending with sucrose syrup to be totally
> unacceptable as well.

We don't make our own, but do have an "in" with a farm family in
northern Vermont who does. My in-laws started buying it from them 40
years ago; now my wife and I buy it from his son. *Relatively* cheap.
Plus Mrs. farmer has occasionally given me a 1/2 gallon of Grade B to
cook with for free.

And actually, my wife is the purist. See my comment above (I'll even
put straight Karo on waffles very occasionally).

--
Silvar Beitle
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Jun 13, 1:19*am, "cybercat" > wrote:
> "sf" > wrote
>
> > So, are you
> > going to try something different with part of it?

> Oh hell no. I am going to periodically bury my face in it until I think I
> will explode.

There are things that I feel that way about too. Well, one thing.

--Bryan

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Sat, 13 Jun 2009 05:54:02 -0700 (PDT), Bobo Bonobo®
> wrote:

>On Jun 13, 1:19*am, "cybercat" > wrote:
>> "sf" > wrote
>>
>> > So, are you
>> > going to try something different with part of it?

>> Oh hell no. I am going to periodically bury my face in it until I think I
>> will explode.

>There are things that I feel that way about too. Well, one thing.

ok, I got it.

<snork>

1

--
I love cooking with wine.
Sometimes I even put it in the food.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

"sf" > wrote in message
> On Sat, 13 Jun 2009 05:54:02 -0700 (PDT), Bobo Bonobo®
> > wrote:
>
>>On Jun 13, 1:19 am, "cybercat" > wrote:
>>> "sf" > wrote

>>> Oh hell no. I am going to periodically bury my face in it until I think
>>> will explode.

>>There are things that I feel that way about too. Well, one thing.
>>

> ok, I got it.
>
> <snork>

eyyuuuuu!