Posted to rec.food.cooking
[email protected] penmart01@aol.com is offline

Default Southern Style Pimiento Cheese

On Wed, 1 Aug 2018 14:33:33 -0700 (PDT), "
> wrote:

>On Wednesday, August 1, 2018 at 3:56:54 PM UTC-5, Dave Smith wrote:
>>
>> I was reminded of another cheese of the past..... flavoured
>> cream cheese, like pineapple and orange. I have not seen it in a long
>> time, but is could be in that part of the dairy section that I just
>> bother with.
>>

>In small jars that doubled as juice glasses once empty.

I don't remember flavored creamcheese, perhaps I never noticed it. I
do rememer all the different flavored cottage cheeses, I remember
pineapple, not orange... then garden salad with minced veggies.
I still remember whan there was only plain yogurt, now umpteen flavors
and a dozen types of yogurt... and the containers shrunk to baby food
size and with ridiculously high prices. I remember buying Dannon
plain yogurt in quart containers for under a dollar... and was the
best yogurt, far better than any produced today. I think Yoplait is
garbage.... I rather eat low fat cottage cheese, and I add my own
fruits/veggies. I like large curd cottage cheese with chopped green
onyuns, chopped curly parsley, and black pepper, sometimes with a big
blob of sour cream. I don't like the word 'dollop', sounds stingy...
big blob is sexier... as in Big Blob Bra. Better than cottage cheese
is pot cheese, larger curds and creamier. When I can find it I prefer
it to ricotta for lasagna. My grand mother would buy Crowleys pot
cheese in gallon tins, served for breakfast on homemade Russian black
bread with her homemade jams from her own fruit trees. When I spent
summers there breakfast was the biggest meal of the day, not that
dinner was skimpy, lunch was a snack. My grand parents owned a B & B
in the Catskills, in those days it was called a tourist home. They
immigrated from Riga during WWI, went through Ellis Island, became US
citizens, LEGALLY, worked very hard all their lives, lived into their
mid 90s. My father arrived at fourteen, he was a world class gymnast.
At Ellis Island Elushka became Ely, prounounced the same as Eli. In
Riga my grand parents were wealthy furriers, they arrived in America
penniless. They worked hard and and did well. Anyone who is willing
to work hard in America and obey the law can do well. My father
enlisted in the Navy and became Admiral Halsy's body guard. Serving in
the South Pacific he came home all shot up, but still did well, never
collected food stamps, my father would never take charity, for my
father and mother charity was not an option.