Posted to rec.food.cooking

Default Price of pork

Looks like their is a surplus of pork again. Stop & Shop had boneless
whole pork loins on sale for $1.49/lb. I've not seen that price for 30
years.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

"Ed Pawlowski" > wrote in message
> Looks like their is a surplus of pork again. Stop & Shop had boneless
> whole pork loins on sale for $1.49/lb. I've not seen that price for 30
> years.

..99 a pound where I am last week.

Cheri

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Tuesday, July 31, 2018 at 12:24:35 AM UTC-5, Cheri wrote:

> "Ed Pawlowski" > wrote in message
>
> > Looks like their is a surplus of pork again. Stop & Shop had boneless
> > whole pork loins on sale for $1.49/lb. I've not seen that price for 30
> > years.

> .99 a pound where I am last week.
>
> Cheri

I will definitely check prices this week when I shop.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Monday, July 30, 2018 at 9:14:51 PM UTC-5, Ed Pawlowski wrote:
> Looks like their is a surplus of pork again. Stop & Shop had boneless
> whole pork loins on sale for $1.49/lb. I've not seen that price for 30
> years.

I'll have to check the prices on Baby Back Ribs next time I grocery shop.

John Kuthe...
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Tue, 31 Jul 2018 10:17:13 -0700 (PDT), John Kuthe wrote:

> On Monday, July 30, 2018 at 9:14:51 PM UTC-5, Ed Pawlowski wrote:
>> Looks like their is a surplus of pork again. Stop & Shop had boneless
>> whole pork loins on sale for $1.49/lb. I've not seen that price for 30
>> years.

> I'll have to check the prices on Baby Back Ribs next time I grocery shop.

Pork baby back ribs are for sissies and Chili's customers. Real men
and women eat pork spare ribs.

-sw

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Monday, July 30, 2018 at 10:14:51 PM UTC-4, Ed Pawlowski wrote:
> Looks like their is a surplus of pork again. Stop & Shop had boneless
> whole pork loins on sale for $1.49/lb. I've not seen that price for 30
> years.

Gosh, maybe Trump's tariffs have had a positive effect after all.
Not, you know, what he was aiming for: pork producers dumping
product in the U.S. that's too expensive in foreign markets due
to their retaliatory tariffs.

I've got kind of a lot of pork in the freezer already, but it might
be worth getting a little more.

Yesterday I took some slices of pork loin, pounded it with the
meat mallet to increase its surface area, marinated it in soy,
garlic, ginger, black rice vinegar, sesame oil, and hot peppers.
It grilled up beautifully.

Next time "the husband" wants me to rough up the surface even
further, to get some crispy bits to form.

Cindy Hamilton
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On 7/31/2018 12:27 PM, Cindy Hamilton wrote:
> On Monday, July 30, 2018 at 10:14:51 PM UTC-4, Ed Pawlowski wrote:
>> Looks like their is a surplus of pork again. Stop & Shop had boneless
>> whole pork loins on sale for $1.49/lb. I've not seen that price for 30
>> years.

> Gosh, maybe Trump's tariffs have had a positive effect after all.
> Not, you know, what he was aiming for: pork producers dumping
> product in the U.S. that's too expensive in foreign markets due
> to their retaliatory tariffs.
>
> I've got kind of a lot of pork in the freezer already, but it might
> be worth getting a little more.
>
> Yesterday I took some slices of pork loin, pounded it with the
> meat mallet to increase its surface area, marinated it in soy,
> garlic, ginger, black rice vinegar, sesame oil, and hot peppers.
> It grilled up beautifully.
>
> Next time "the husband" wants me to rough up the surface even
> further, to get some crispy bits to form.
>
> Cindy Hamilton

Looks like I might have started a trend ... my/the wife/lover would be
so proud of me .

Â* FYS

--
Snag
Yes , I'm old

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Tuesday, July 31, 2018 at 12:23:02 PM UTC-5, Sqwertz wrote:
> On Tue, 31 Jul 2018 10:17:13 -0700 (PDT), John Kuthe wrote:
>
> > On Monday, July 30, 2018 at 9:14:51 PM UTC-5, Ed Pawlowski wrote:
> >> Looks like their is a surplus of pork again. Stop & Shop had boneless
> >> whole pork loins on sale for $1.49/lb. I've not seen that price for 30
> >> years.

> > I'll have to check the prices on Baby Back Ribs next time I grocery shop.

> Pork baby back ribs are for sissies and Chili's customers. Real men
> and women eat pork spare ribs.
>
> -sw

**** you! More porcine intercostal muscle tissue on Baby Backs! More to LOVE!

John Kuthe...
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Tuesday, July 31, 2018 at 12:47:45 PM UTC-5, Terry Coombs wrote:

> On 7/31/2018 12:27 PM, Cindy Hamilton wrote:
> >
> > Next time "the husband" wants me to rough up the surface even
> > further, to get some crispy bits to form.
> >
> > Cindy Hamilton

> Looks like I might have started a trend ... my/the wife/lover would be
> so proud of me .
>
> Â*

I'll have to ask Pema how she likes being called THE CAT.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

John Kuthe wrote:
>Ed Pawlowski wrote:
>> Looks like there is a surplus of pork again. Stop & Shop had boneless
>> whole pork loins on sale for $1.49/lb. I've not seen that price for 30
>> years.

>I'll have to check the prices on Baby Back Ribs next time I grocery shop.

I don't much care for baby back ribs, I prefer Spare Ribs, a $1.39/lb
here today. I like country ribs more than baby backs.... the boneless
county ribs are excellent, very meaty and not much fat. Of course it
all depends on how the butcher prepares them... the butchers here in
town do a much nicer job of trimming than the big chains. Whenever I
buy meat from other markets the crows luck out... from 3 pounds of
pork ribs the crows get near a pound of fat trimmings.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

> wrote in message
On Tuesday, July 31, 2018 at 12:47:45 PM UTC-5, Terry Coombs wrote:

> On 7/31/2018 12:27 PM, Cindy Hamilton wrote:
> >
> > Next time "the husband" wants me to rough up the surface even
> > further, to get some crispy bits to form.
> >
> > Cindy Hamilton

> Looks like I might have started a trend ... my/the wife/lover would be
> so proud of me .

I'll have to ask Pema how she likes being called THE CAT.

=====

She'll probably knows the word, my dog knows "the dog" and comes running, so
I spell it when I don't want her bugging me.

Cheri

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Tue, 31 Jul 2018 11:06:58 -0700 (PDT), John Kuthe wrote:

> On Tuesday, July 31, 2018 at 12:23:02 PM UTC-5, Sqwertz wrote:

>>> I'll have to check the prices on Baby Back Ribs next time I grocery shop.

>> Pork baby back ribs are for sissies and Chili's customers. Real men
>> and women eat pork spare ribs.

> **** you! More porcine intercostal muscle tissue on Baby Backs! More to LOVE!

And you'd wrong there, too. For BB's to be meatier than spares they
have to have loin meat attached to them - which is not "intercostal
muscle tissue.

-sw
Posted to rec.food.cooking

"Ed Pawlowski" > wrote in message
> Looks like their is a surplus of pork again. Stop & Shop had boneless
> whole pork loins on sale for $1.49/lb. I've not seen that price for 30
> years.

Yes! We are eating more pork than we'd like because it is so cheap. I just
made a potato salad with bacon for tomorrow night's dinner. Will serve with
ham steaks.

I had never done pork loins before except for the hideous cut up stuff that
I bought at Albertsons years ago. I keep finding them drastically marked
down. Some are flavored like Teriyaki. I wouldn't normally buy such things
but when they are not for me and that cheap, I will.

My friend (who doesn't cook much) told me to slice them like pork chops and
pan fry. If they are Teriyaki flavored, I toss in Asian kinds of veggies and
add a little additional Teriyaki sauce. Otherwise I might add in some kind
of beans or apple slices and a little butter and brown sugar.

My last few shopping trips have been spectacular in terms of price. Found a
lot of drastically reduced items, including bags of stir fry fresh veggies.
They were to be used by that day but I bailed the extras in the freezer and
used them up later in the week, adding some other veggies and changing up
the sauce so there wasn't too much sameness.

I am to the point now where my own diet is fairly restricted due to some
medical problems so when I am buying to cook for others, the first thing I
do is look for drastically marked down things and that is often what they
get for dinner.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Wednesday, August 1, 2018 at 4:04:01 PM UTC-10, Julie Bove wrote:

> Yes! We are eating more pork than we'd like because it is so cheap. I just
> made a potato salad with bacon for tomorrow night's dinner. Will serve with
> ham steaks.
>
> I had never done pork loins before except for the hideous cut up stuff that
> I bought at Albertsons years ago. I keep finding them drastically marked
> down. Some are flavored like Teriyaki. I wouldn't normally buy such things
> but when they are not for me and that cheap, I will.
>
> My friend (who doesn't cook much) told me to slice them like pork chops and
> pan fry. If they are Teriyaki flavored, I toss in Asian kinds of veggies and
> add a little additional Teriyaki sauce. Otherwise I might add in some kind
> of beans or apple slices and a little butter and brown sugar.
>
> My last few shopping trips have been spectacular in terms of price. Found a
> lot of drastically reduced items, including bags of stir fry fresh veggies.
> They were to be used by that day but I bailed the extras in the freezer and
> used them up later in the week, adding some other veggies and changing up
> the sauce so there wasn't too much sameness.
>
> I am to the point now where my own diet is fairly restricted due to some
> medical problems so when I am buying to cook for others, the first thing I
> do is look for drastically marked down things and that is often what they
> get for dinner.

Slicing pork loin and frying it like a chop because a loin is a good plan. As a matter of fact, the loin is a chop without that nasty bone.

Cheap pork hasn't reached our shores yet. In fact cheap anything hasn't yet reached the islands. I'm not holding my breath waiting for that ship to come in. If you saw the prices here, you'd probably plotz.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Wed, 1 Aug 2018 21:27:20 -0700 (PDT), dsi1 >
wrote:

>On Wednesday, August 1, 2018 at 4:04:01 PM UTC-10, Julie Bove wrote:
>>
>> Yes! We are eating more pork than we'd like because it is so cheap. I just
>> made a potato salad with bacon for tomorrow night's dinner. Will serve with
>> ham steaks.
>>
>> I had never done pork loins before except for the hideous cut up stuff that
>> I bought at Albertsons years ago. I keep finding them drastically marked
>> down. Some are flavored like Teriyaki. I wouldn't normally buy such things
>> but when they are not for me and that cheap, I will.
>>
>> My friend (who doesn't cook much) told me to slice them like pork chops and
>> pan fry. If they are Teriyaki flavored, I toss in Asian kinds of veggies and
>> add a little additional Teriyaki sauce. Otherwise I might add in some kind
>> of beans or apple slices and a little butter and brown sugar.
>>
>> My last few shopping trips have been spectacular in terms of price. Found a
>> lot of drastically reduced items, including bags of stir fry fresh veggies.
>> They were to be used by that day but I bailed the extras in the freezer and
>> used them up later in the week, adding some other veggies and changing up
>> the sauce so there wasn't too much sameness.
>>
>> I am to the point now where my own diet is fairly restricted due to some
>> medical problems so when I am buying to cook for others, the first thing I
>> do is look for drastically marked down things and that is often what they
>> get for dinner.

>Slicing pork loin and frying it like a chop because a loin is a good plan. As a matter of fact, the loin is a chop without that nasty bone.
>
>Cheap pork hasn't reached our shores yet. In fact cheap anything hasn't yet reached the islands. I'm not holding my breath waiting for that ship to come in. If you saw the prices here, you'd probably plotz.

Where is that?
Posted to rec.food.cooking

wrote:

>On Wednesday, August 1, 2018 at 4:04:01 PM UTC-10, Julie Bove wrote:
>>
>> Yes! We are eating more pork than we'd like because it is so cheap. I just
>> made a potato salad with bacon for tomorrow night's dinner. Will serve with
>> ham steaks.
>>
>> I had never done pork loins before except for the hideous cut up stuff that
>> I bought at Albertsons years ago. I keep finding them drastically marked
>> down. Some are flavored like Teriyaki. I wouldn't normally buy such things
>> but when they are not for me and that cheap, I will.
>>
>> My friend (who doesn't cook much) told me to slice them like pork chops and
>> pan fry. If they are Teriyaki flavored, I toss in Asian kinds of veggies and
>> add a little additional Teriyaki sauce. Otherwise I might add in some kind
>> of beans or apple slices and a little butter and brown sugar.
>>
>> My last few shopping trips have been spectacular in terms of price. Found a
>> lot of drastically reduced items, including bags of stir fry fresh veggies.
>> They were to be used by that day but I bailed the extras in the freezer and
>> used them up later in the week, adding some other veggies and changing up
>> the sauce so there wasn't too much sameness.
>>
>> I am to the point now where my own diet is fairly restricted due to some
>> medical problems so when I am buying to cook for others, the first thing I
>> do is look for drastically marked down things and that is often what they
>> get for dinner.

>Slicing pork loin and frying it like a chop because a loin is a good plan. As a matter of fact, the loin is a chop without that nasty bone.
>Cheap pork hasn't reached our shores yet. In fact cheap anything hasn't yet reached the islands. I'm not holding my breath waiting for that ship to come in. If you saw the prices here, you'd probably plotz.

Whole boneless pork loins are often well under $2/lb. usually
~$1.79/lb. I look for a smallish one, under ten pounds since there's
only the two of us. The butchers will cut them as desired but I'd
rather cut them at home. They are cryovaced so it's cleaner at home
and I like to remove the excess fat before slicing. I usually cut one
in thirds, two become roasts that I tie and freeze, one I slice on the
diag into thin cutlets (~3/16") for dinner that night and enough for a
couple more meals. They're seasoned with Penzys adobo or Italian herb
mix and a bit of salt and sauted quickly both sides, about a minute
per side. We prepare some in lieu of veal parm served with pasta and
sauce, some as veal parm sandwiches with sauce and sauted grn bell
peppers. With the roasts some is eaten hot from the oven, left overs
are eaten cold sliced paper thin in sandwiches or however. I usually
reserve some to julienne for an Asian stir fried dish or soup.
In any event it suffices for many meals for little money.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Thursday, August 2, 2018 at 9:47:11 AM UTC-4, Sheldon wrote:
> On Wed, 1 Aug 2018 21:27:20 -0700 (PDT), dsi1 >
> wrote:
>
> >On Wednesday, August 1, 2018 at 4:04:01 PM UTC-10, Julie Bove wrote:
> >>
> >> Yes! We are eating more pork than we'd like because it is so cheap. I just
> >> made a potato salad with bacon for tomorrow night's dinner. Will serve with
> >> ham steaks.
> >>
> >> I had never done pork loins before except for the hideous cut up stuff that
> >> I bought at Albertsons years ago. I keep finding them drastically marked
> >> down. Some are flavored like Teriyaki. I wouldn't normally buy such things
> >> but when they are not for me and that cheap, I will.
> >>
> >> My friend (who doesn't cook much) told me to slice them like pork chops and
> >> pan fry. If they are Teriyaki flavored, I toss in Asian kinds of veggies and
> >> add a little additional Teriyaki sauce. Otherwise I might add in some kind
> >> of beans or apple slices and a little butter and brown sugar.
> >>
> >> My last few shopping trips have been spectacular in terms of price. Found a
> >> lot of drastically reduced items, including bags of stir fry fresh veggies.
> >> They were to be used by that day but I bailed the extras in the freezer and
> >> used them up later in the week, adding some other veggies and changing up
> >> the sauce so there wasn't too much sameness.
> >>
> >> I am to the point now where my own diet is fairly restricted due to some
> >> medical problems so when I am buying to cook for others, the first thing I
> >> do is look for drastically marked down things and that is often what they
> >> get for dinner.

> >Slicing pork loin and frying it like a chop because a loin is a good plan. As a matter of fact, the loin is a chop without that nasty bone.
> >Cheap pork hasn't reached our shores yet. In fact cheap anything hasn't yet reached the islands. I'm not holding my breath waiting for that ship to come in. If you saw the prices here, you'd probably plotz.

> Whole boneless pork loins are often well under $2/lb. usually
> ~$1.79/lb.

I just looked at the Kaneohe, HI, Safeway weekly sale flyer. They
don't have whole pork loins on sale this week, but boneless pork
chops (which appear to be cut from the loin) are $3.99 per pound.
That's their value-pack "club price", which I assume requires the
use of an affinity card.

Cindy Hamilton
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Thursday, August 2, 2018 at 3:47:11 AM UTC-10, Sheldon wrote:

> Whole boneless pork loins are often well under $2/lb. usually
> ~$1.79/lb. I look for a smallish one, under ten pounds since there's
> only the two of us. The butchers will cut them as desired but I'd
> rather cut them at home. They are cryovaced so it's cleaner at home
> and I like to remove the excess fat before slicing. I usually cut one
> in thirds, two become roasts that I tie and freeze, one I slice on the
> diag into thin cutlets (~3/16") for dinner that night and enough for a
> couple more meals. They're seasoned with Penzys adobo or Italian herb
> mix and a bit of salt and sauted quickly both sides, about a minute
> per side. We prepare some in lieu of veal parm served with pasta and
> sauce, some as veal parm sandwiches with sauce and sauted grn bell
> peppers. With the roasts some is eaten hot from the oven, left overs
> are eaten cold sliced paper thin in sandwiches or however. I usually
> reserve some to julienne for an Asian stir fried dish or soup.
> In any event it suffices for many meals for little money.

Well okay. If I see any pork for well under 2 bucks, I'll jump on it.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Thursday, August 2, 2018 at 4:31:46 AM UTC-10, Cindy Hamilton wrote:

> I just looked at the Kaneohe, HI, Safeway weekly sale flyer. They
> don't have whole pork loins on sale this week, but boneless pork
> chops (which appear to be cut from the loin) are $3.99 per pound.
> That's their value-pack "club price", which I assume requires the
> use of an affinity card.
>
> Cindy Hamilton

Typically, I will buy pork chops if they're going for $3/lb. Mostly, I'll buy pork spare ribs or pork soft bones or some cheaper pork cuts for around $2.49/lb.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Thursday, August 2, 2018 at 1:39:54 PM UTC-4, dsi1 wrote:
> On Thursday, August 2, 2018 at 4:31:46 AM UTC-10, Cindy Hamilton wrote:
> >
> > I just looked at the Kaneohe, HI, Safeway weekly sale flyer. They
> > don't have whole pork loins on sale this week, but boneless pork
> > chops (which appear to be cut from the loin) are $3.99 per pound.
> > That's their value-pack "club price", which I assume requires the
> > use of an affinity card.
> >
> > Cindy Hamilton

> Typically, I will buy pork chops if they're going for $3/lb. Mostly, I'll buy pork spare ribs or pork soft bones or some cheaper pork cuts for around $2.49/lb.

Bone-in pork chops were, IIRC, $2.29 at Foodland in Kaneohe.

I didn't really think you'd want a lean cut like loin; you're
not some wimpy haole, after all.

Cindy Hamilton
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Thursday, August 2, 2018 at 8:41:16 AM UTC-10, Cindy Hamilton wrote:

> Bone-in pork chops were, IIRC, $2.29 at Foodland in Kaneohe.
>
> I didn't really think you'd want a lean cut like loin; you're
> not some wimpy haole, after all.
>
> Cindy Hamilton

That's odd but true. White folks like white, lean, meat like chicken breast and pork loin while colored folks like dark and fatty meat. I can't say why that is but I can appreciate the symmetry of it all.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

"dsi1" wrote in message

On Thursday, August 2, 2018 at 8:41:16 AM UTC-10, Cindy Hamilton wrote:

> Bone-in pork chops were, IIRC, $2.29 at Foodland in Kaneohe.
>
> I didn't really think you'd want a lean cut like loin; you're
> not some wimpy haole, after all.
>
> Cindy Hamilton

That's odd but true. White folks like white, lean, meat like chicken breast
and pork loin while colored folks like dark and fatty meat. I can't say why
that is but I can appreciate the symmetry of it all.

==

Not me. I prefer chicken thighs to the breast. It has more flavour.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Thursday, August 2, 2018 at 10:15:24 AM UTC-10, Ophelia wrote:
> ==
>
> Not me. I prefer chicken thighs to the breast. It has more flavour.

You must be colored!
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Thu, 2 Aug 2018 12:21:03 -0700 (PDT), dsi1 >
wrote:

>On Thursday, August 2, 2018 at 8:41:16 AM UTC-10, Cindy Hamilton wrote:
>

>> Bone-in pork chops were, IIRC, $2.29 at Foodland in Kaneohe.
>>
>> I didn't really think you'd want a lean cut like loin; you're
>> not some wimpy haole, after all.
>>
>> Cindy Hamilton

>That's odd but true. White folks like white, lean, meat like chicken breast and pork loin while colored folks like dark and fatty meat. I can't say why that is but I can appreciate the symmetry of it all.

1: Blanket statement.
2: Completely wrong.

Definitely a post by the real dsi1.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Thursday, August 2, 2018 at 11:48:04 AM UTC-10, Jill McQuown wrote:

> dsi1 always tries to assign race to food preferences. Doesn't make any
> sense to me.
>
> Jill

There are many things in this world that you just don't get. There's no reason to brag about being ignorant.

The idea that food preferences and race/culture/history are not related is a very odd notion to me. Why is it that Asians don't have a very long history of drinking milk or cheese production? Why is it that white folks tend to shy away from spicy foods? My guess is has to do with race and culture. Why are people afraid of this idea? Beats me.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

Ed Pawlowski wrote:

> Looks like their is a surplus of pork again. Stop & Shop had
> boneless whole pork loins on sale for $1.49/lb. I've not seen that
> price for 30 years.

I actually see that price all the time for basic pork cuts, but the
larger boneless pork loins (about 2 feet long or so) tend to be 20cents
more than that.

Humm!

Posted to rec.food.cooking

wrote:

>On Thursday, August 2, 2018 at 8:41:16 AM UTC-10, Cindy Hamilton wrote:
>

>> Bone-in pork chops were, IIRC, $2.29 at Foodland in Kaneohe.
>>
>> I didn't really think you'd want a lean cut like loin; you're
>> not some wimpy haole, after all.
>>
>> Cindy Hamilton

>That's odd but true. White folks like white, lean, meat like chicken breast and pork loin while colored folks like dark and fatty meat. I can't say why that is but I can appreciate the symmetry of it all.

Holy shit, yoose Hawaiians would make my Mayan wife pick cotton and
pineapples... little do yoose know Mayans harvested pineapples long
before yoose ever seen a pineapple. The only native Hawaiian crop is
seaweed.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Thursday, August 2, 2018 at 1:20:04 PM UTC-10, tert in seattle wrote:

> You are preoccupied with race in the same way that residents of
> Teamsterville (see Gerry Philipsen - Speaking culturally: explorations
> in cultural communication [Albany : State University of New York Press,
> ©192]) are preoccupied with ethnic origin. This approach sees people
> not as individual selves but as forms that fit a particular cultural
> place. It is a way of ordering the world that is old world, in contrast
> to the typical middle-class "Nacirema" culture that values the individual
> as unique and not bound to cultural expectations simply by virtue of
> their race or ethnicity.

That's an interesting interpretation. I can't say that we're preoccupied with race but maybe we are. Either way, the local people of Hawaii have no problem with other people and other cultures because we have to live in such close contact with everybody.

Most of Hawaiian humor deals with the differences between race/culture. We don't have any problems with making fun of other ethnicities because in order to do this, we have to have an intimate knowledge of each other's race/culture. Rather than pulling us apart, the expression of me knowing about where you're coming from, brings us closer together. You know how inside jokes can bring people together? Same thing.

So if I say that the Samoan assault weapon of choice is a 2"X4", you're not going to think that's funny. The reason being that you guys don't know nothing about the Samoans. OTOH, please don't be telling that joke on the mainland. It might not go over well - in a most extreme way.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-un-LUjRX14
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Thursday, August 2, 2018 at 1:42:22 PM UTC-10, Sheldon wrote:

> Holy shit, yoose Hawaiians would make my Mayan wife pick cotton and
> pineapples... little do yoose know Mayans harvested pineapples long
> before yoose ever seen a pineapple. The only native Hawaiian crop is
> seaweed.

My guess is that your wife* could be harvesting sugar cane, if she got here 150 years ago. Of course, the Hawaiians wasn't going to make her* do anything since they were pretty much powerless. Neither would the Chinese, Japanese, Filipino, or any other ethnic group. Those people were slaves of the haole bosses and the haole plantation owners. You would know all this if you hadn't dropped out of grade school. Please stay in school, kids!

*That is, if she does in fact, exist.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Thursday, August 2, 2018 at 8:41:16 AM UTC-10, Cindy Hamilton wrote:

> Bone-in pork chops were, IIRC, $2.29 at Foodland in Kaneohe.
>
> I didn't really think you'd want a lean cut like loin; you're
> not some wimpy haole, after all.
>
> Cindy Hamilton

I bought a pork butt for $1.99/lb. How great is that? I'd say that was pretty damn great! Contrary to popular belief, I didn't get the pork loin because someone would think me wimpy but because it wasn't selling for $1.99/lb. Pork loin at $1.99/lb would be the greatest deal in Hawaiian history. Of course, I'd have to put on my haole disguise so people wouldn't look at me funny...
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On 2018-08-02 6:30 PM, dsi1 wrote:

> There are many things in this world that you just don't get. There's
> no reason to brag about being ignorant.
>
> The idea that food preferences and race/culture/history are not
> related is a very odd notion to me. Why is it that Asians don't have
> a very long history of drinking milk or cheese production? Why is it
> that white folks tend to shy away from spicy foods? My guess is has
> to do with race and culture. Why are people afraid of this idea?
> Beats me.

That's a hell of a generalization. I am white and I like spicy food. My
wife and my son and many of my friends like spicy food. Many of the
Europeans who immigrated to North America came with their cultural
foods, the foods they grew up. Many of them or their children were
exposed to spicier foods as our society became more diverse. Maybe a
lot of credit for spicy foods in this area was due to the popularity of
Buffalo wings.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Fri, 3 Aug 2018 02:44:53 -0000 (UTC), Wayne Boatwright
> wrote:

>On Thu 02 Aug 2018 07:39:42p, Dave Smith told us...
>
>> On 2018-08-02 6:30 PM, dsi1 wrote:
>>
>>> There are many things in this world that you just don't get.
>>> There's no reason to brag about being ignorant.
>>>
>>> The idea that food preferences and race/culture/history are not
>>> related is a very odd notion to me. Why is it that Asians don't
>>> have a very long history of drinking milk or cheese production?
>>> Why is it that white folks tend to shy away from spicy foods? My
>>> guess is has to do with race and culture. Why are people afraid
>>> of this idea? Beats me.
>>>

>> That's a hell of a generalization. I am white and I like spicy
>> food. My wife and my son and many of my friends like spicy food.
>> Many of the Europeans who immigrated to North America came with
>> their cultural foods, the foods they grew up. Many of them or
>> their children were exposed to spicier foods as our society became
>> more diverse. Maybe a lot of credit for spicy foods in this area
>> was due to the popularity of Buffalo wings.
>>

>Do pigs fly over Buffalo? dsi1 probably things so.

People get a really limited view of reality when they can look no
further than the rock they're on.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

"dsi1" wrote in message

On Thursday, August 2, 2018 at 10:15:24 AM UTC-10, Ophelia wrote:
> ==
>
> Not me. I prefer chicken thighs to the breast. It has more flavour.

You must be colored! :

==

I am, I am, a kind of nice pink but getting browner by the day in all this
sunshine <g>

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Thursday, August 2, 2018 at 6:30:16 PM UTC-4, dsi1 wrote:
> On Thursday, August 2, 2018 at 11:48:04 AM UTC-10, Jill McQuown wrote:
>

> > dsi1 always tries to assign race to food preferences. Doesn't make any
> > sense to me.
> >
> > Jill

> There are many things in this world that you just don't get. There's no reason to brag about being ignorant.
>
> The idea that food preferences and race/culture/history are not related is a very odd notion to me. Why is it that Asians don't have a very long history of drinking milk or cheese production? Why is it that white folks tend to shy away from spicy foods? My guess is has to do with race and culture. Why are people afraid of this idea? Beats me.

In the case of Asians and milk, it's because they have lactose intolerance.
(I'll never forget the look on Iron Chef Chen Kenichi's face when the secret
ingredient was yogurt.)

YMMV may vary on white folks and spicy foods. I've loved spicy foods since
I was a kid. I didn't get much spicy food at home, but I loved the pork
rinds that came with a little packet of Tabasco-type sauce in them. I
would expect "old white folks" would be more accurate, although only a bit.

People everywhere tend to prefer the foods they grew up with. What else
would you expect?

Cindy Hamilton