Posted to rec.food.cooking

Default Price of pork

On Sunday, August 5, 2018 at 9:49:19 AM UTC-10, cshenk wrote:

> DS1, sorry but we have lots of Indian food places here.
>
> Google them and you get: About 24,600,000 results (1.39 seconds)
>
> I won't even try to count them.

I get 46 million results for "Filipino restaurants in usa" It seems you have a lot of Filipino food on the mainland. I can dig that.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Sunday, August 5, 2018 at 3:25:50 PM UTC-4, dsi1 wrote:
> On Sunday, August 5, 2018 at 9:22:33 AM UTC-10, cshenk wrote:
> >
> > I hate to tell you this but you are wrong. Curry is as big in the USA
> > as it is where you are. It just isnt always called 'curry'.

> Okay, I'll bite. How is that?

Well, we tend to call things by their proper name, rather than the
generic, anglicized, "curry".

One of my favorite Indian dishes is sag paneer.

Cindy Hamilton
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Sunday, August 5, 2018 at 10:02:46 AM UTC-10, Ophelia wrote:
> ==
>
> I haven't seen that one. But 'blow me' here usually means 'blimey' or
> 'gosh' or 'knock me down with a feather' iyswim

Over here, it's an insult directed at another person. Over there, it's like a personal memo. I once worked with a fresh off the boat haole guy from the mainland. On the first day he said to me "blow me!" Ha ha. I did not know what he meant but I got the feeling it was not something a person would normally say to your co-workers on the first day on the job.

I don't have anything against haoles. My wife is a haole and she's one of the finest human being that I've ever known. OTOH, that haole was just a savage.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=T9LFT_lX-Z8&t=204
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Sunday, August 5, 2018 at 10:21:18 AM UTC-10, Cindy Hamilton wrote:

> Well, we tend to call things by their proper name, rather than the
> generic, anglicized, "curry".
>
> One of my favorite Indian dishes is sag paneer.
>
> Cindy Hamilton

I don't get it. Is sag paneer a curry? I doubt it.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On 2018-08-05 11:52 AM, Cindy Hamilton wrote:
> On Sunday, August 5, 2018 at 9:53:16 AM UTC-4, Dave Smith wrote:

>>> I apologize for losing my shit and calling you a dumbass. It was uncalled-for.
>>>
>>> It did make me wonder, though, how WWII would have played out if Hawaii had
>>> not been under U.S. control in 1941. Would the Japanese have made their
>>> move against Alaska, instead, or some other U.S. possession?

>> The attack on Pearl Harbor in Dec7 1941 was just one part of a wide
>> range of coordinated military actions taken by Japan. They also swept
>> down into southeast Asia, Hong Hong and the Aleutian Islands.

> True. Would they have taken Hawaii as a potential forward base for
> invading the U.S. mainland, I wonder?

They were not interested in invading the US mainland. Their plan was to
take over southeast Asia and set up their own colonial empire. They were
especially interested in fuel and raw materials. The US had already
been after them over their actions in China and Mongolia.

In order to carry out their plans for southeast Asia they needed to
guarantee that the US would not intervene. They planned to knock out the
US Fleet and figured that if they did that quickly the US would have
neither the will nor the ships to get involved. They underestimated the
American will to fight and their ability to clear the harbour and
refloat the sunken ships and prepare for battle.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On 2018-08-05 3:25 PM, dsi1 wrote:
> On Sunday, August 5, 2018 at 9:22:33 AM UTC-10, cshenk wrote:
>>
>> I hate to tell you this but you are wrong. Curry is as big in the USA
>> as it is where you are. It just isnt always called 'curry'.

> Okay, I'll bite. How is that?

I had an Indian curry dish for lunch yesterday, Chana Masala. It was
chick peas, onion and tomatoes and served with Mango Chutney and Raita.
It was delicious. It is a curry but not called curry on the menu.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On 2018-08-05 4:35 PM, dsi1 wrote:
> On Sunday, August 5, 2018 at 10:02:46 AM UTC-10, Ophelia wrote:
>> ==
>>
>> I haven't seen that one. But 'blow me' here usually means
>> 'blimey' or 'gosh' or 'knock me down with a feather' iyswim

> Over here, it's an insult directed at another person. Over there,
> it's like a personal memo. I once worked with a fresh off the boat
> haole guy from the mainland. On the first day he said to me "blow
> me!" Ha ha. I did not know what he meant but I got the feeling it was
> not something a person would normally say to your co-workers on the
> first day on the job.

You're right. It is not the sort of thing you would expect a person so
day to a coworker on their first day on the job. Do you always have
that effect on people?

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Sun, 05 Aug 2018 13:19:25 -0500, "cshenk" > wrote:

snip

>Totally not into that pesky white chicken breast stuff. When e bake a
>chicken, we feed that to the dogs.

that's totally disgusting. Chicken breast meat isn't good enough for
you but is good enough for your dog? What a statement to make
Posted to rec.food.cooking

"dsi1" > wrote in message
> On Sunday, August 5, 2018 at 12:22:42 AM UTC-10, Ophelia wrote:
>>
>> ==
>>
>> 'Let him' ? Hey I am not his boss! He will write what he likes as will
>> I.

> That's the nutty mentality of a lot of the posters here. They believe that
> people can be controlled by other people. The are quite the arrogant
> twits.
>
> I was watching a movie set in Ireland the other night. Somebody exclaims
> "blow me!" That was surprising because it means something quite different
> in the US. It means "go to hell" over here.
>
> Boy, that was one depressing movie. Angela's Ashes.

The book was much better than the movie.

Cheri

Posted to rec.food.cooking

dsi1 wrote:

> On Saturday, August 4, 2018 at 1:41:39 PM UTC-10, Janet wrote:
> > Yes you did.
> >
> > First you made a sweeping generalisation that white people prefer
> > white meat and don't like spicy food.
> >
> > When white people disputed that you replied
> >
> > "I wasn't talking about you. I was talking about all the other
> > white guys. The younger generation is totally into new foods and
> > heat levels. They seek out foods that their parents have never
> > heard of or would think of eating. They are the ones that will
> > throw all that bland food out the window."
> >
> > Janet UK

> White people are fairly resistant to the idea that colored folks have
> to deal with being identified by their race on a daily basis. They
> think it's all in the imagination of the colored's minds. OTOH, they
> just freak out at the mere mention of "white people." I don't get
> freaked out by the words "japs" "gooks" or "slopes" et al. I'm used
> to it. Why do yoose guys get so upset about these fairly innocuous
> words?
>
> It's fairly obvious that posters in this group are interested in
> foods like spaghetti, hamburgers, soups, pizza, potatoes, BBQ, etc.
> That's just the kind of foods people like to post about. I'm fairly
> sure that there's not much interest in Indian curry, not in America,
> at least. And as a matter of fact, a lot of white folks do prefer
> chicken breast. Not all of them of course. Just 99.94% of them.
> What's the big deal? It doesn't mean they're inferior because of
> that. That's just what I've noticed.
>
> I'm certainly entitled to my prejudices. Yoose guys are entitled to
> yours. Spam, McDonald's, people that eat at McDonald's, immigrants,
> Chinese, Mexican, funny looking colored people, Google Groups, canned
> soups, Whole Foods. Yoose guys are constantly bitching and judging
> others. That's all fine with me. What is not fine is people giving
> their opinion on my opinions. Have the decency/imagination/pride to
> come up with opinions of your own. Just leave my opinions out of it.
> Thank you for your attention in this matter.

DS1, you are making assumptions that the rest of us have not. You are
assuming you know the color/race/ethnics of the others here. You do
not.

While to an extent, we know in general where some of us live, that
indicates little other than a perception of what foods may be common
there. Lets take Janet UK. I have perceptions of foods that may be
there or may be more common where she is. If posting to her and aware
an item I mention might need describing, I am apt to add a link to
explain it. I do not however assume a skin color. UK is quite mixed
there just like the USA/Canada.

What you see in reaction is probably 50% here are NOT fond of chicken
breast (we feed it to the dogs here) and if you look at the cookery, I
think it's 4 of us regular recipes who are into hot/spicy/curry/cajun
sorts of things. In fact, we are more apt to post them then you are.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

jmcquown wrote:

> On 8/2/2018 4:12 PM, Ophelia wrote:
> >

> > "dsi1"Â* wrote in message
> >
> > On Thursday, August 2, 2018 at 8:41:16 AM UTC-10, Cindy Hamilton
> > wrote:
> >

> > > Bone-in pork chops were, IIRC, $2.29 at Foodland in Kaneohe.
> > >
> > > I didn't really think you'd want a lean cut like loin; you're
> > > not some wimpy haole, after all.
> > >
> > > Cindy Hamilton

> > That's odd but true. White folks like white, lean, meat like
> > chicken breast and pork loin while colored folks like dark and
> > fatty meat. I can't say why that is but I can appreciate the
> > symmetry of it all.
> >
> > ==
> >
> > Not me.Â* I prefer chicken thighs to the breast.Â* It has more
> > flavour.

> Why let him keep perpetuating this myth?
>
> Jill

We can't stop him. Meantime, my dogs are mad at me. They like the
dark meat too but got the breasts again. They roll their eyes and sigh
and eat it up.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

Druce wrote:

> On Thu, 2 Aug 2018 11:41:13 -0700 (PDT), Cindy Hamilton
> > wrote:
>
> > On Thursday, August 2, 2018 at 1:39:54 PM UTC-4, dsi1 wrote:

> They >> > don't have whole pork loins on sale this week, but boneless
> pork >> > chops (which appear to be cut from the loin) are $3.99 per
> pound. >> > That's their value-pack "club price", which I assume
> requires the >> > use of an affinity card.

> >> Typically, I will buy pork chops if they're going for $3/lb.

> Mostly, I'll buy pork spare ribs or pork soft bones or some cheaper
> pork cuts for around $2.49/lb.
> >
> > Bone-in pork chops were, IIRC, $2.29 at Foodland in Kaneohe.
> >
> > I didn't really think you'd want a lean cut like loin; you're
> > not some wimpy haole, after all.

> Those Hawaiians think we're stupid. They think we don't know they
> swapped the h and the a in haole.

+3!!
Posted to rec.food.cooking

jmcquown wrote:

> On 8/4/2018 3:43 PM, graham wrote:
> > >
> > > You might have set some kind of trend back in the old days in
> > > wherever county you were living.

> > I suppose you were then still living with recipes that had a can of
> > X added to a jar of Y stirred into two packets of Z to which was
> > added some garlic powder.

> Canned Spam?
>
> Jill

Something tells me DS1's background had a lot to do with canned and
pre-mixes long ago. That wasn't true in my background 50 years ago.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

Cheri wrote:

> "cshenk" > wrote in message
> > Cheri wrote:

> > Snipped

> > > Yes, we have heard that at least 100 times. Good for you!
> > >
> > > Cheri

> > Hi Cheri,
> >
> > Just to add to the flow, I'm one of those rare ones who makes my own
> > breakfast sausage. This isn't uncommonly from my own ground pork
> > butt. Reason being is that is a side to using my grinder for bone
> > in raw dog food.
> >
> > Every 2-3 weeks we have a little little grinding party here with us
> > and 2 neighbors who like to grind their own dog food. My machine
> > can't handle bones bigger than chicken ones (and skip the leg
> > bones) but does fine with the necks, wings and spine. Depending on
> > size of bird, can do rib bones. Ground bone is a required part for
> > healthy dogs. They add a variety of supplments later to their
> > portions based on their own dogs needs.
> >
> > Pretty much they supply the meats for the dogs (and we all provide
> > the ones we are grinding for our own 2foots use). I provide the
> > vacuum sealer and bags (ziplock or sealer types depending on what
> > they want) and get a small portion of the ground bone in dog meat
> > for treats for my 2 dogs). Of the neighbors, they need roughly 5
> > cups ground a day between them (some labs and other larger dogs
> > involved). To that if curious, they add sweet potatoes, cooked
> > rice, carrots, blueberries and such to round out the diet.
> >
> > Anyways, I have the better kitchen layout for this even though I
> > lack counterspace. In the 1960's when my house was built, larger
> > kitchens where you could have a table in there for 6 were 'the
> > thing'. The other 2 have kitchens that have been 'modernized' and
> > no longer are efficient for this purpose (unmoveable center islands
> > with tiny sinks and such).
> >
> > Defrosting if needed, is done before they get here. Rough deboning
> > done too if the person has time and that meat type needs it but hey,
> > it's a mini-party so we happily deal with that!
> >
> > Back to Sheldon's comment on time? He's right that once used to
> > it, it takes about 5 minutes to clean the grinder unless you have a
> > less efficient design model. KitchenAide presumably from others,
> > is a slow thing but it wasn't designed to handle some 40-80lbs of
> > grinding at a time.
> >
> > In our case, we deconstruct and clean between each type of meat and
> > while one does that, the other 2 are setting up the next meat type
> > to grind (chopping or whatever is needed).
> >
> > Generally takes us about 2 hours for the total run. Some will be
> > people food.

> I don't have a thing against making your own sausage etc., I have
> done it too, but...I don't post the whole story with nasty responses
> to someone elses post about their sausage, hamburger, etc. like "Mr.
> everything I do or like is the only way" does, usually with hateful
> words to boot.
>
> Cheri

Yeah, I'm with you. Sheldon has been in my bit bucket for some time.
I still get the random complaints from others as if I had some control
or was responsible for what he says.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Sunday, August 5, 2018 at 1:05:40 PM UTC-10, Cheri wrote:

> The book was much better than the movie.
>
> Cheri

I'm not sure what that means. Do you mean more depressing or less depressing or something else? That movie was grueling and relentless. I have the book around but I didn't see much point in reading it.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Sunday, August 5, 2018 at 11:13:12 AM UTC-10, Dave Smith wrote:

> You're right. It is not the sort of thing you would expect a person so
> day to a coworker on their first day on the job. Do you always have
> that effect on people?

Near as I can figure, insulting people that you don't know is acceptable in your culture. I'm not judging but that kind of sucks.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Sunday, August 5, 2018 at 1:06:03 PM UTC-10, cshenk wrote:

> DS1, you are making assumptions that the rest of us have not. You are
> assuming you know the color/race/ethnics of the others here. You do
> not.
>
> While to an extent, we know in general where some of us live, that
> indicates little other than a perception of what foods may be common
> there. Lets take Janet UK. I have perceptions of foods that may be
> there or may be more common where she is. If posting to her and aware
> an item I mention might need describing, I am apt to add a link to
> explain it. I do not however assume a skin color. UK is quite mixed
> there just like the USA/Canada.
>
> What you see in reaction is probably 50% here are NOT fond of chicken
> breast (we feed it to the dogs here) and if you look at the cookery, I
> think it's 4 of us regular recipes who are into hot/spicy/curry/cajun
> sorts of things. In fact, we are more apt to post them then you are.

Really? I know that some of you ain't white. That's hardly the point. I don't care what color you is. That doesn't change the fact that white folks like chicken breast. White folk are absolutely terrified at the idea of discussing race and culture. They probably know more about outer space than what goes down here on planet Earth.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

Cindy Hamilton wrote:

> On Sunday, August 5, 2018 at 3:25:50 PM UTC-4, dsi1 wrote:
> > On Sunday, August 5, 2018 at 9:22:33 AM UTC-10, cshenk wrote:
> > >
> > > I hate to tell you this but you are wrong. Curry is as big in
> > > the USA as it is where you are. It just isnt always called
> > > 'curry'.

> > Okay, I'll bite. How is that?

> Well, we tend to call things by their proper name, rather than the
> generic, anglicized, "curry".
>
> One of my favorite Indian dishes is sag paneer.
>
> Cindy Hamilton

Exactly. Rogan Josh is another one. Very good to make a lamb curry
gravy with brown sauce. Vadouvan is another I keep and really like for
soups when I do a dashi/miso/udon/curry mix.

It's possible ds1 is looking for traditional recipes. I'm pretty sure
I am known for non-traditional but actually, the recipes I make are not
that far off whatever quisine they came from (mostly).

There is a blend of curry from Jamacia (sp?) that is heavy on the
yellow and deep but mild on the heat. I love that one for rice. Can we
say curried Paella?

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Sunday, August 5, 2018 at 1:23:56 PM UTC-10, cshenk wrote:

> Something tells me DS1's background had a lot to do with canned and
> pre-mixes long ago. That wasn't true in my background 50 years ago.

It's the Hawaiian culture. It could also be some kind of genetic disposition - I don't know. There's no doubt that the lack of fresh meat and refrigeration in the past has something to do with our current love of canned meat/milk in general and canned corned beef and Spam in particular.

Korea is even more crazy about Spam than Hawaii is. They have gift sets involving cans of Spam. One of their most popular dishes is budae chigae. This is a wild stew involving all kinds of things. It is more or less a favorite of North Korea. It probably doesn't exist in South Korea and I've never seen it on this rock.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mIUc0jiOxE0
Posted to rec.food.cooking

dsi1 wrote:

> On Sunday, August 5, 2018 at 9:49:19 AM UTC-10, cshenk wrote:
> >
> > DS1, sorry but we have lots of Indian food places here.
> >
> > Google them and you get: About 24,600,000 results (1.39 seconds)
> >
> > I won't even try to count them.

> I get 46 million results for "Filipino restaurants in usa" It seems
> you have a lot of Filipino food on the mainland. I can dig that.

Yup! WE like it a lot!

One place here we like is Pho 96. It;s along Virginia Beach BLVD and a
great spot for a fast noodle bowl. One of many here.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On 8/5/2018 7:18 PM, cshenk wrote:
> jmcquown wrote:
>
>> On 8/2/2018 4:12 PM, Ophelia wrote:
>>>

>>> "dsi1"Â* wrote in message

>>> That's odd but true. White folks like white, lean, meat like
>>> chicken breast and pork loin while colored folks like dark and
>>> fatty meat. I can't say why that is but I can appreciate the
>>> symmetry of it all.
>>>
>>> ==
>>>
>>> Not me.Â* I prefer chicken thighs to the breast.Â* It has more
>>> flavour.

>> Why let him keep perpetuating this myth?
>>
>> Jill

> We can't stop him. Meantime, my dogs are mad at me. They like the
> dark meat too but got the breasts again. They roll their eyes and sigh
> and eat it up.

Awww, poor doggies! <G>

Jill
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On 8/5/2018 7:05 PM, cshenk wrote:
> [...]

> assuming you know the color/race/ethnics of the others here. You do
> not.
>
> While to an extent, we know in general where some of us live, that
> indicates little other than a perception of what foods may be common
> there. Lets take Janet UK. I have perceptions of foods that may be
> there or may be more common where she is. If posting to her and aware
> an item I mention might need describing, I am apt to add a link to
> explain it. I do not however assume a skin color. UK is quite mixed
> there just like the USA/Canada.
>
> What you see in reaction is probably 50% here are NOT fond of chicken
> breast (we feed it to the dogs here) and if you look at the cookery, I
> think it's 4 of us regular recipes who are into hot/spicy/curry/cajun
> sorts of things. In fact, we are more apt to post them then you are.

It seems he feels put upon by "white people". I have no idea why he
presumes to know what everyone who lives on the mainland (of any race)
likes to eat.

Jill
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Sunday, August 5, 2018 at 2:25:17 PM UTC-10, cshenk wrote:

> Yup! WE like it a lot!
>
> One place here we like is Pho 96. It;s along Virginia Beach BLVD and a
> great spot for a fast noodle bowl. One of many here.

Vietnamese pho is a hot trend in the US. It's been like that for some years now. I never saw the appeal of those thin noodles but the kids dig it. Indian curry and Filipino food has never been been trendy in the US. 2017 was the year when Filipino food was supposed to explode onto the American scene.. It did not happen. My guess is that it will in the near future. Watch out for that one.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Sunday, August 5, 2018 at 3:09:19 PM UTC-10, Jill McQuown wrote:
> It seems he feels put upon by "white people". I have no idea why he
> presumes to know what everyone who lives on the mainland (of any race)
> likes to eat.
>
> Jill

It's uncomfortable to be seen only by the color of your skin, ain't it? Welcome to the party pal!

I'm a keen watcher of trends in the United States. I read everything. That's why I presume to know what's going on in the American culture. Mostly, you're a clueless bird in an isolated gilded cage. You prefer to not to know rather than to know. Everything with you is you've never seen, you've never heard of, or you don't understand. Now you presume to know me? I love it!
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On 2018-08-05 9:31 PM, dsi1 wrote:
> On Sunday, August 5, 2018 at 2:25:17 PM UTC-10, cshenk wrote:
>>
>> Yup! WE like it a lot!
>>
>> One place here we like is Pho 96. It;s along Virginia Beach BLVD
>> and a great spot for a fast noodle bowl. One of many here.

> Vietnamese pho is a hot trend in the US. It's been like that for some
> years now. I never saw the appeal of those thin noodles but the kids
> dig it. Indian curry and Filipino food has never been been trendy in
> the US. 2017 was the year when Filipino food was supposed to explode
> onto the American scene. It did not happen. My guess is that it will
> in the near future. Watch out for that one.

I have to say that I as terribly disappointed in Vietnamese food. Over
the last few years there have been lots of Pho restauarants opening up
around here. I was really looking forward to trying them out because I
had had various Asian cuisines that were amazing. When I finally got to
try Vietnamese food it was a major letdown.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Sunday, August 5, 2018 at 3:54:21 PM UTC-10, Dave Smith wrote:

> I have to say that I as terribly disappointed in Vietnamese food. Over
> the last few years there have been lots of Pho restauarants opening up
> around here. I was really looking forward to trying them out because I
> had had various Asian cuisines that were amazing. When I finally got to
> try Vietnamese food it was a major letdown.

I kinda like their coffee.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On 2018-08-05 9:59 PM, dsi1 wrote:
> On Sunday, August 5, 2018 at 3:54:21 PM UTC-10, Dave Smith wrote:
>>
>> I have to say that I as terribly disappointed in Vietnamese food. Over
>> the last few years there have been lots of Pho restauarants opening up
>> around here. I was really looking forward to trying them out because I
>> had had various Asian cuisines that were amazing. When I finally got to
>> try Vietnamese food it was a major letdown.

> I kinda like their coffee.

It is good, but it should be consumed early in the day. I once had one
after an early dinner. It was very tasty but way too sweet for me. I
usually drink coffee black. I was wide awake until about 4 am.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Sunday, August 5, 2018 at 8:54:21 PM UTC-5, Dave Smith wrote:

> I have to say that I as terribly disappointed in Vietnamese food. Over
> the last few years there have been lots of Pho restaurants opening up
> around here. I was really looking forward to trying them out because I
> had had various Asian cuisines that were amazing. When I finally got to
> try Vietnamese food it was a major letdown.

I've only had it once and was quite disappointed but I would try it again.
What I was served was rubber chicken.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Sunday, August 5, 2018 at 4:04:06 PM UTC-10, Dave Smith wrote:
> It is good, but it should be consumed early in the day. I once had one
> after an early dinner. It was very tasty but way too sweet for me. I
> usually drink coffee black. I was wide awake until about 4 am.

I could go for some right now. I can make my own if I have a can of condensed milk. Last night I went to bed at 3am so that's not too much of a problem - I hope. I'm going to look for that can of milk!
Posted to rec.food.cooking

Hank Rogers wrote:
> A few drops of the el yucateco black label on a hamburger is very good.
> It is a little less heat than the other flavors, and has a slightly
> smoky taste.
>
> My god, I just realized that I'm sounding like Popeye with his RO water
> filter sermons ... Sorry.

no idea so no problem...

as of yet, i've tried a habanero pepper flavored
sauce once, i can't even tell you what kind it was,
but i found it rather disgusting and never bothered
to try any others.

to me the overwhelming flavor was rotting fruit
and since i don't need super hot sauce to get some
zing there was little reason for me to look further.

if sriracha loses it's zing i stop eating it for
a week and it gets enough back. and like today i
used it mainly for the chili and garlic flavor
than for the zing by putting a few drops in some
ranch dressing.

songbird

Posted to rec.food.cooking

"dsi1" > wrote in message
On Sunday, August 5, 2018 at 1:06:03 PM UTC-10, cshenk wrote:

> DS1, you are making assumptions that the rest of us have not. You are
> assuming you know the color/race/ethnics of the others here. You do
> not.
>
> While to an extent, we know in general where some of us live, that
> indicates little other than a perception of what foods may be common
> there. Lets take Janet UK. I have perceptions of foods that may be
> there or may be more common where she is. If posting to her and aware
> an item I mention might need describing, I am apt to add a link to
> explain it. I do not however assume a skin color. UK is quite mixed
> there just like the USA/Canada.
>
> What you see in reaction is probably 50% here are NOT fond of chicken
> breast (we feed it to the dogs here) and if you look at the cookery, I
> think it's 4 of us regular recipes who are into hot/spicy/curry/cajun
> sorts of things. In fact, we are more apt to post them then you are.

Really? I know that some of you ain't white. That's hardly the point. I
don't care what color you is. That doesn't change the fact that white folks
like chicken breast. White folk are absolutely terrified at the idea of
discussing race and culture. They probably know more about outer space than
what goes down here on planet Earth.

======

I like chicken breast, but I like dark meat better.

Cheri

Posted to rec.food.cooking

"dsi1" > wrote in message
On Sunday, August 5, 2018 at 1:23:56 PM UTC-10, cshenk wrote:

> Something tells me DS1's background had a lot to do with canned and
> pre-mixes long ago. That wasn't true in my background 50 years ago.

It's the Hawaiian culture. It could also be some kind of genetic
disposition - I don't know. There's no doubt that the lack of fresh meat and
refrigeration in the past has something to do with our current love of
canned meat/milk in general and canned corned beef and Spam in particular.
=======

I love Spam, always have.

Cheri

Posted to rec.food.cooking

"dsi1" > wrote in message
> On Sunday, August 5, 2018 at 1:05:40 PM UTC-10, Cheri wrote:
>>

>> The book was much better than the movie.
>>
>> Cheri

> I'm not sure what that means. Do you mean more depressing or less
> depressing or something else? That movie was grueling and relentless. I
> have the book around but I didn't see much point in reading it.

=====

It means that Frank McCourt went into great detail in the book, the movie
didn't depict his childhood as terrible as it was with his own thoughts, but
movies never can.

Cheri

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Sunday, August 5, 2018 at 4:04:06 PM UTC-10, Dave Smith wrote:
> It is good, but it should be consumed early in the day. I once had one
> after an early dinner. It was very tasty but way too sweet for me. I
> usually drink coffee black. I was wide awake until about 4 am.

I just made some iced coffee with condensed milk. Hopefully, the gods of digestions will be kind. I'll be home for the rest of the night - just a few feet from the toilets. Damn it was delicious.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Sunday, August 5, 2018 at 5:59:25 PM UTC-10, Cheri wrote:

> It means that Frank McCourt went into great detail in the book, the movie
> didn't depict his childhood as terrible as it was with his own thoughts, but
> movies never can.
>
> Cheri

Well, if I see the book around here, I shall make an attempt to read it. Thanks.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Sun, 5 Aug 2018 16:04:46 -0700, "Cheri" >
wrote:

>"dsi1" > wrote in message
>> On Sunday, August 5, 2018 at 12:22:42 AM UTC-10, Ophelia wrote:
>>>
>>> ==
>>>
>>> 'Let him' ? Hey I am not his boss! He will write what he likes as will
>>> I.

>> That's the nutty mentality of a lot of the posters here. They believe that
>> people can be controlled by other people. The are quite the arrogant
>> twits.
>>
>> I was watching a movie set in Ireland the other night. Somebody exclaims
>> "blow me!" That was surprising because it means something quite different
>> in the US. It means "go to hell" over here.
>>
>> Boy, that was one depressing movie. Angela's Ashes.

>The book was much better than the movie.

I don't believe the book was depressing, but it's been a while.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

Am Montag, 6. August 2018 02:14:41 UTC+2 schrieb dsi1:

> Korea is even more crazy about Spam than Hawaii is. They have gift sets
> involving cans of Spam.

Because it's special. And expensive.

> One of their most popular dishes is budae chigae.

No.

> This is a wild stew involving all kinds of things. It is more or less
> a favorite of North Korea.

I doubt that.

> It probably doesn't exist in South Korea

Bull.

https://www.maangchi.com/recipe/budae-jjigae

We've eaten it there (a Korean friend invited us) and here in Germany
(another Korean friend wanted to give us a treat with this cross-over) -
not big fans, there's much better food there.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Sun, 5 Aug 2018 18:40:09 -0700 (PDT), dsi1 >
wrote:

>On Sunday, August 5, 2018 at 3:09:19 PM UTC-10, Jill McQuown wrote:
>> It seems he feels put upon by "white people". I have no idea why he
>> presumes to know what everyone who lives on the mainland (of any race)
>> likes to eat.
>>
>> Jill

>It's uncomfortable to be seen only by the color of your skin, ain't it? Welcome to the party pal!
>
>I'm a keen watcher of trends in the United States. I read everything. That's why I presume to know what's going on in the American culture. Mostly, you're a clueless bird in an isolated gilded cage. You prefer to not to know rather than to know. Everything with you is you've never seen, you've never heard of, or you don't understand. Now you presume to know me? I love it!

Lol, you're on a roll!
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Sunday, August 5, 2018 at 4:37:38 PM UTC-4, dsi1 wrote:
> On Sunday, August 5, 2018 at 10:21:18 AM UTC-10, Cindy Hamilton wrote:
> >
> > Well, we tend to call things by their proper name, rather than the
> > generic, anglicized, "curry".
> >
> > One of my favorite Indian dishes is sag paneer.
> >
> > Cindy Hamilton

> I don't get it. Is sag paneer a curry? I doubt it.

In order to answer your question, I'm going to have to ask:
What is the definition of "curry"? Or "How do you personally
judge whether a dish is a curry?"

Cindy Hamilton
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Sunday, August 5, 2018 at 5:07:46 PM UTC-4, Dave Smith wrote:
> On 2018-08-05 3:25 PM, dsi1 wrote:
> > On Sunday, August 5, 2018 at 9:22:33 AM UTC-10, cshenk wrote:
> >>
> >> I hate to tell you this but you are wrong. Curry is as big in the USA
> >> as it is where you are. It just isnt always called 'curry'.

> > Okay, I'll bite. How is that?
> >

> I had an Indian curry dish for lunch yesterday, Chana Masala. It was
> chick peas, onion and tomatoes and served with Mango Chutney and Raita.
> It was delicious. It is a curry but not called curry on the menu.

Of course it was not. "Curry" is the anglicized form of the Tamil
word "kari", which means "sauce". Essentially so vague as to be
meaningless. It'd be like referring to "condiment", without specifying
ketchup, mustard, mayonnaise, or Tabasco.

Cindy Hamilton.