Posted to rec.food.cooking

Default Stuff

wrote:

http://www.chicagotribune.com/busine...523-story.html

>>> My grocery store has already started the same kinda thing. They cut
>>> the meat at their meat packing plant, vegetables from their coolers,
>>> and package everything up in a nice display box for sale in the meat
>>> department. Half the price of those meal delivery services.
>>>

>> I'm pretty sure Publix offers the same sort of thing. Ah yes, but this
>> is seafood:
>>
>> http://www.publix.com/products-servi...in-bag-dinners
>>
>> First, choose your fish...
>>
>>> All thjsoe meal delivery companies are hurting last I heard. I
>>> can't believe there's one that that's successful. It must be
>>> because of their Chicago-centric demographics. Just as ones
>>> concentrating on New York would probably be successful.
>>>
>>> -sw
>>>

>> I would think they'd have to be in heavily populated cities to make it
>> worth their while. These kits are for people who are (allegedly) rushed
>> for time.
>>
>> Jill

> And don't know how to cook... those kits are as much about cooking as
> paint by numbers is about art. And those meal kits are a whole lot
> more expensive than grocery shopping by about double... a lot of young
> folks don't know how to grocery shop either.

Popeye, everyone knows yoose is da onliest one here that "cooks".

Yoose should put something like that in your sig. It would allow yoose
to type about 30% less, giving yoose much mo' time to cook yoose giant
meals, or to tell everyone yoose fantastic sex stories, or to hunt down
gays.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On 5/24/2018 3:37 PM, Sqwertz wrote:
> On Thu, 24 May 2018 10:09:52 -0400, jmcquown wrote:
>
>> $9.95 per person is the price breakdown in a lot of ads. That's (I
>> guess) after you get the $30 savings if you use a coupon code. Without
>> the coupon it figures out to be about $70 for a box of food for four
>> people. For one meal. YIKES!

> And that's for really small portions that barely follow "USDA
> guidelines". 3-4 ounces of meat, 4oz of vegetables, 3oz of cooked
> pasta, etc... For some people that works for them. But for many it
> doesn't. Restaurants could never survive servings portions like
> that for $9.95. Not in my area, at least. Restaurnats are much
> more expensive in San Francisco and New York due to rent.
>
> -sw

I never have understood portions on food labels. Broken down into
ounces. Might as well say each person gets X number of bites. Not
everyone has the same appetite.

Jill
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On 5/24/2018 3:28 PM, Sqwertz wrote:
> On Thu, 24 May 2018 09:23:50 -0400, jmcquown wrote:
>
>> On 5/23/2018 10:24 PM, Sqwertz wrote:
>>> On Wed, 23 May 2018 14:49:22 -0700, wrote:

http://www.chicagotribune.com/busine...523-story.html

>>> My grocery store has already started the same kinda thing. They cut
>>> the meat at their meat packing plant, vegetables from their coolers,
>>> and package everything up in a nice display box for sale in the meat
>>> department. Half the price of those meal delivery services.
>>>

>> I'm pretty sure Publix offers the same sort of thing. Ah yes, but this
>> is seafood:
>>
>> http://www.publix.com/products-servi...in-bag-dinners
>>

> Let me clarify... These come exactly like you'd get from a "Home
> Chef" service. A meat, a veggie, a starch,a couple cloves of
> garlic, a dram bottle of EVOO, 6 mushrooms, as plastic fish of soy
> sauce, 2 green onions, etc... All raw and ready to be prepared and
> cooked. All the "shopping" has been done and the ingredients you
> need have been put into a box.
>
> -sw

Okay, so we're not talking about a take it home and just put in the oven
meal kit?

Jill
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On 5/24/2018 1:58 PM, jmcquown wrote:

> Ordering a meal kit won't make the family be any closer.Â* It's a
> marketing image.
>
> Jill

Yes, it is. It does save shopping time and it does typically take about
30 minutes from box to table and you can feel like a great homemaker.
Going for takeout or to a restaurant will take at least that time and
cost more.

We tried it. The food is ok but not something I'd do on a weekly basis.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On 5/24/2018 2:49 PM, U.S. Janet B. wrote:

>> Not my job to be judgemental but I will be. If you have a lifestyle
>> that requires your kids to be raised by the hired help, you should not
>> have them. Do the have to have that kinds of a lifestyle? No, it is
>> their choice. They are putting material things ahead of family.

> The children are not being raised by others. Don't know where you got
> that from. These people have figured out to have an income and not
> live in their parent's basement. They are keeping their children safe
> and occupied. They aren't latch key kids.
> The days of a mother staying home to be with the kids is no longer
> possible. I guess they could do food stamps and seasonal employment.
> Janet US

I'm not talking about the food stamp crowd. I'm talking about the BMW
crowd where the wife has to work so they can have a Lincoln Navigator
SUV too. I'm talking the ones that have the huge house with a big
mortgage and they both work so they can take a cruise every winter.

The food stamp crowd does not have nanny's. They may use grandmom.

Today some things are different. We lived with only one TV, no cell
phones or iPads.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Thu, 24 May 2018 09:04:33 -0700 (PDT), "
> wrote:

>On Thursday, May 24, 2018 at 10:37:32 AM UTC-5, U.S. Janet B. wrote:
>>
>> some people are so time committed that they don't have time to plan
>> what you are talking about. I know several couples, they travel
>> almost constantly with work, have 2-3 kids, a dog, a nanny a
>> housekeeper and lawn care person. They moved here from the big city
>> to live a more relaxed life style. I can't imagine what their life
>> was like before. They claim they are living a slower pace now.
>> Janet US
>>

>They have a housekeeper, a nanny, and a lawn care person and still
>can't put a meal on the table????

TIAD meals always take much longer from start to finish.
People who know how to cook don't need to spend much time on food
prep.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Thu, 24 May 2018 13:53:28 -0400, Ed Pawlowski > wrote:

>On 5/24/2018 12:25 PM, U.S. Janet B. wrote:
>> On Thu, 24 May 2018 09:04:33 -0700 (PDT), "
>> > wrote:

>>> They have a housekeeper, a nanny, and a lawn care person and still
>>> can't put a meal on the table????

>> they put meals on the table. They also attend soccer, swimming, PTA
>> and the kid things. But when one person is leaving or coming back
>> from the airport and the other is on the way out, it becomes difficult
>> to manage the shopping. To be fair, I never said they did all their
>> meals delivered. People our age can't really judge. These are not
>> employees with traditional 9 to 5 jobs that I am talking about, I'm
>> talking about running their own business or being director of a bunch
>> of people all across the US. The nanny takes the children to school,
>> picks them up and stays with them until the parents arrive home.
>> I believe you are thinking of the households in the old black and
>> white movies where these people live in.

>Not my job to be judgemental but I will be. If you have a lifestyle
>that requires your kids to be raised by the hired help, you should not
>have them. Do the have to have that kinds of a lifestyle? No, it is
>their choice. They are putting material things ahead of family.

Here in farm country if you ask how they can tend to so many chores
they answer why do you think we have all those kids.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Thu, 24 May 2018 14:39:55 -0400, Dave Smith
> wrote:

>On 2018-05-24 1:53 PM, Ed Pawlowski wrote:
>
>> Not my job to be judgemental but I will be.* If you have a lifestyle
>> that requires your kids to be raised by the hired help, you should not
>> have them.* Do the have to have that kinds of a lifestyle?* No, it is
>> their choice.* They are putting material things ahead of family.
>>

>That is the way a lot of wealthy families have been for years. The
>father had a high caliber job that involved a lot of long days and
>entertainment. The mother was busy with social clubs, activities,
>accompanying the father to dinners with business partners or clients.
>The kids were left in the care of a nanny.

Here as soon as kids can walk they are feeding the livestock between
pulling weeds, and at five years old they are driving the tractor. By
6-7 they are baling hay. My neighbor's kids are 5- 6 years old and
are milking goats... makes me jealous. LOL

Posted to rec.food.cooking

"Gary" > wrote in message ...
> jmcquown wrote:
>>
>> On 5/23/2018 10:24 PM, Sqwertz wrote:
>> > On Wed, 23 May 2018 14:49:22 -0700, wrote:

http://www.chicagotribune.com/busine...523-story.html

>> > My grocery store has already started the same kinda thing. They cut
>> > the meat at their meat packing plant, vegetables from their coolers,
>> > and package everything up in a nice display box for sale in the meat
>> > department. Half the price of those meal delivery services.
>> >

>> I'm pretty sure Publix offers the same sort of thing. Ah yes, but this
>> is seafood:
>>
>> http://www.publix.com/products-servi...in-bag-dinners
>>
>> First, choose your fish...
>>
>> > All thjsoe meal delivery companies are hurting last I heard. I
>> > can't believe there's one that that's successful. It must be
>> > because of their Chicago-centric demographics. Just as ones
>> > concentrating on New York would probably be successful.
>> >
>> > -sw
>> >

>> I would think they'd have to be in heavily populated cities to make it
>> worth their while. These kits are for people who are (allegedly) rushed
>> for time.
>>
>> Jill

> I think those kits are silly and overpriced. If I was in a rush
> for time, I would just stock up with frozen dinners and there are
> many good ones available now.

Not me. Beans on a tortilla is much quicker and tastes better.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Thursday, May 24, 2018 at 8:54:39 PM UTC-5, Julie Bove wrote:

> > I think those kits are silly and overpriced. If I was in a rush
> > for time, I would just stock up with frozen dinners and there are
> > many good ones available now.

> Not me. Beans on a tortilla is much quicker and tastes better.

*Poooooot* You go Julie. (Far away.)

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Thu, 24 May 2018 16:46:24 -0400, Ed Pawlowski > wrote:

>On 5/24/2018 1:58 PM, jmcquown wrote:
>

>> Ordering a meal kit won't make the family be any closer.* It's a
>> marketing image.
>>
>> Jill

>Yes, it is. It does save shopping time and it does typically take about
>30 minutes from box to table and you can feel like a great homemaker.
>Going for takeout or to a restaurant will take at least that time and
>cost more.
>
>We tried it. The food is ok but not something I'd do on a weekly basis.

The woman across the street uses the service occasionally when her
husband is not in this country. He is a doctor with the National
Guard and has been deployed three times. They drive a pickup truck
and some sort of van. They live in a newer ranch-style house on a
nice sized lot. The wife has her own computer based business out of
the home. She has weekly house cleaning service and lawn care. They
are not rolling in dough. Fortunately she has a mother-in-law who can
watch the 3 kids As soon as the kids start going to school I am sure
she will have to use a nanny for some of the things she can't do while
maintaining her business. I'm told that in my area a large portion of
the people do not 'go' to work each day. They are working from home.
Being employed these days, staying employed requires different
adjustments and skills than back in the old days.
Janet US
Posted to rec.food.cooking

U.S. Janet B. > wrote:
> On Thu, 24 May 2018 12:32:51 -0400, jmcquown >
> wrote:

>>> They have a housekeeper, a nanny, and a lawn care person and still
>>> can't put a meal on the table????
>>>

>> Why didn't they hire a cook?!
>>
>> Jill

> Perhaps they wanted to do as much as they could. I don't understand
> the negative reaction to people like this. I simply explained why
> some people would use a meal service from time to time. I live in a
> community full of busy people like this who want to retain as much
> family time as they can without the intrusion of live in help.
> Janet US

My stepdaughters use these meal kit delivery services often. First and
foremost, they are too busy studying (one in college, one in med school) to
put a lot of time and thought into shopping and meal planning. Secondly,
these services introduce them to different foods and menus they may not
have thought to try on their own€”they like to experiment. Third, when time
is of the essence, its a whole lot healthier than other quick food
delivery options.

I know other parent friends that also use them. Single moms working
multiple jobs, with kids in various after school activities€”it alleviates
the burden once in awhile. More power to them for juggling it all.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

Ed Pawlowski > wrote:
> On 5/24/2018 12:25 PM, U.S. Janet B. wrote:
>> On Thu, 24 May 2018 09:04:33 -0700 (PDT), "
>> > wrote:

>>> They have a housekeeper, a nanny, and a lawn care person and still
>>> can't put a meal on the table????

>> they put meals on the table. They also attend soccer, swimming, PTA
>> and the kid things. But when one person is leaving or coming back
>> from the airport and the other is on the way out, it becomes difficult
>> to manage the shopping. To be fair, I never said they did all their
>> meals delivered. People our age can't really judge. These are not
>> employees with traditional 9 to 5 jobs that I am talking about, I'm
>> talking about running their own business or being director of a bunch
>> of people all across the US. The nanny takes the children to school,
>> picks them up and stays with them until the parents arrive home.
>> I believe you are thinking of the households in the old black and
>> white movies where these people live in.

> Not my job to be judgemental but I will be. If you have a lifestyle
> that requires your kids to be raised by the hired help, you should not
> have them. Do the have to have that kinds of a lifestyle? No, it is
> their choice. They are putting material things ahead of family.

If you substituted the word €śdaycare€ť or €śbabysitter€ť for nanny would it
skew your opinion differently? Most parents nowadays have some form of
childcare, especially during those short before and after school hours
while parents work 8-5. I think the word nanny conjures up an image of
live-in help while mommy gets her nails done and shops the mall, but that
isnt what having a nanny is all about these days. Its just a fancy word
for scheduled babysitter. The days of two parent/single breadwinner
households are long over. It has little to do with materialism.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Thursday, May 24, 2018 at 4:18:33 PM UTC-4, Jill McQuown wrote:
> On 5/24/2018 3:37 PM, Sqwertz wrote:
> > On Thu, 24 May 2018 10:09:52 -0400, jmcquown wrote:
> >
> >> $9.95 per person is the price breakdown in a lot of ads. That's (I
> >> guess) after you get the $30 savings if you use a coupon code. Without
> >> the coupon it figures out to be about $70 for a box of food for four
> >> people. For one meal. YIKES!

> > And that's for really small portions that barely follow "USDA
> > guidelines". 3-4 ounces of meat, 4oz of vegetables, 3oz of cooked
> > pasta, etc... For some people that works for them. But for many it
> > doesn't. Restaurants could never survive servings portions like
> > that for $9.95. Not in my area, at least. Restaurnats are much
> > more expensive in San Francisco and New York due to rent.
> >
> > -sw
> >

> I never have understood portions on food labels. Broken down into
> ounces. Might as well say each person gets X number of bites. Not
> everyone has the same appetite.
>
> Jill

"A portion is the amount of food that you choose to eat for a meal or snack. It can be big or small, you decide.

A serving is a measured amount of food or drink, such as one slice of bread or one cup (eight ounces) of milk."

<https://www.nhlbi.nih.gov/health/educational/wecan/eat-right/distortion.htm>

Papa Bear eats three servings for his portion
Mama Bear eats two servings for her portion
Baby Bear eats one serving for his portion

Cindy Hamilton
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Thursday, May 24, 2018 at 8:01:11 PM UTC-4, Hank Rogers wrote:
> Sqwertz wrote:

> >> I don't actually care about any of that. I simply said I don't have to
> >> light my electric oven.

> > I don't actually care what kind of oven you have. I simply said
> > it's a common phrase among Jews - regardless of the type of oven.
> > Practically nobody these days actually "lights the oven". They
> > "turn it on".
> >
> > I can play this game, too :-P
> >
> > -sw
> >

> Exactly what are the jewish customs and rituals related to lighting the
> oven?

Can't start a fire on the Sabbath. By extension, can't flip an electric
switch in case it makes a spark.

They make moveable covers for light switches so you can't accidentally
break the rules. I've got a couple so I don't, for example, accidentally
turn on the overhead light in the bedroom in the middle of the night
when I'm trying to turn the ceiling fan on. Both the light and the
fan have a decora switch, and it's easy to accidentally brush one when
aiming for the other, in the dark.

Cindy Hamilton

Posted to rec.food.cooking

Cindy Hamilton wrote:

> Hank Rogers wrote:
> > Exactly what are the jewish customs and rituals related to lighting the
> > oven?

> Can't start a fire on the Sabbath. By extension, can't flip an electric
> switch in case it makes a spark.
>
> They make moveable covers for light switches so you can't accidentally
> break the rules. I've got a couple so I don't, for example, accidentally
> turn on the overhead light in the bedroom in the middle of the night
> when I'm trying to turn the ceiling fan on. Both the light and the
> fan have a decora switch, and it's easy to accidentally brush one when
> aiming for the other, in the dark.

Don't you modern jewish ppl see the silliness in all this?

I do believe in a God but not all this nonsense spouted by
various religions.

The Muslim dawn-to-dusk fasting during the month of Ramadan
really cracks me up. Heck, I do that all year long and they think
they are making some sacrifice? LOL!
Posted to rec.food.cooking

> Cindy Hamilton wrote:
> >
> > Hank Rogers wrote:
> > > Exactly what are the jewish customs and rituals related to lighting the
> > > oven?

> > Can't start a fire on the Sabbath. By extension, can't flip an electric
> > switch in case it makes a spark.

Do you also keep off your computer, unplug your fridge, use no
lights on the Sabbath? Heaven forbid you create a spark. WTH???
Why can you turn on your ceiling fan but not the light
accidently?
Posted to rec.food.cooking

Ed Pawlowski > wrote:
> On 5/24/2018 2:49 PM, U.S. Janet B. wrote:
>
>>> Not my job to be judgemental but I will be. If you have a lifestyle
>>> that requires your kids to be raised by the hired help, you should not
>>> have them. Do the have to have that kinds of a lifestyle? No, it is
>>> their choice. They are putting material things ahead of family.

>> The children are not being raised by others. Don't know where you got
>> that from. These people have figured out to have an income and not
>> live in their parent's basement. They are keeping their children safe
>> and occupied. They aren't latch key kids.
>> The days of a mother staying home to be with the kids is no longer
>> possible. I guess they could do food stamps and seasonal employment.
>> Janet US
>>

> I'm not talking about the food stamp crowd. I'm talking about the BMW
> crowd where the wife has to work so they can have a Lincoln Navigator
> SUV too. I'm talking the ones that have the huge house with a big
> mortgage and they both work so they can take a cruise every winter.
>
> The food stamp crowd does not have nanny's. They may use grandmom.
>
> Today some things are different. We lived with only one TV, no cell
> phones or iPads.

The food stamp crowd doesnt use grandmom€”they get childcare subsidies to
enroll their kids at the best daycares in town. And even in a state as
welfare friendly as MN is, the minute you start working and earning money,
they reduce your food stamp benefits to almost nothing.

Even so, its splitting hairs to draw a distinction between parents that
use external daycare vs. daycare that comes to their home. Its exactly
the same. And in many cases, that college €śnanny€ť (in the olden days known
as a babysitter) that comes over after school is cheaper!!

Posted to rec.food.cooking

U.S. Janet B. > wrote:
> On Thu, 24 May 2018 13:58:01 -0400, jmcquown >
> wrote:
>
>> On 5/24/2018 1:10 PM, U.S. Janet B. wrote:

>>> Perhaps they wanted to do as much as they could. I don't understand
>>> the negative reaction to people like this. I simply explained why
>>> some people would use a meal service from time to time. I live in a
>>> community full of busy people like this who want to retain as much
>>> family time as they can without the intrusion of live in help.
>>> Janet US
>>>

>> They wanted to do as much as they could by hiring a housekeeper and a
>> nanny? Hands on. Sure. It sounds to me like s very posh lifestyle and
>> not like the parents want to be much involved with their children.
>>
>> Ordering a meal kit won't make the family be any closer. It's a
>> marketing image.
>>
>> Jill

> Weekly housecleaning help (I know there are women here who have that)
> and weekly lawn service (I know there are people here who have that)
> and someone to take and pick up the kids from school (that is a common
> thing these days, maybe grandma?). If I had used different words than
> nanny and housekeeper you would have been able to look around and find
> many couples around you (all of RFC) who do the same thing. The
> words nanny, housekeeper, lawn care are the words used in my community
> but apparently are trigger words for some folks here. Posh lifestyle?
> Not hardly.
> Janet US

I should have finished reading the thread before jumping in! What you said
here is exactly so!

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On 5/25/2018 12:58 AM, Jinx the Minx wrote:

>> Not my job to be judgemental but I will be. If you have a lifestyle
>> that requires your kids to be raised by the hired help, you should not
>> have them. Do the have to have that kinds of a lifestyle? No, it is
>> their choice. They are putting material things ahead of family.
>>

> If you substituted the word €śdaycare€ť or €śbabysitter€ť for nanny would it
> skew your opinion differently? Most parents nowadays have some form of
> childcare, especially during those short before and after school hours
> while parents work 8-5. I think the word nanny conjures up an image of
> live-in help while mommy gets her nails done and shops the mall, but that
> isnt what having a nanny is all about these days. Its just a fancy word
> for scheduled babysitter. The days of two parent/single breadwinner
> households are long over. It has little to do with materialism.

Every situation is different and yes, changing the word (and definition)
would change my opinion is SOME cases. Nanny is thought of as different
from babysitter.

There are plenty of people with low to modest income that need two jobs
to survive. They often have a baby sitter, like grandmom, to help out.

My beef is the two high income families that put a fancy house and cars
on the top of the list at the expense of children. If you don't want to
take the time to raise them, you should not have them.

Look at two scenarios. One parent is a well paid person making 100K a
year. They have a modest house (1500 sq ft) 2 kids, a fairly new Ford
and maybe the 5 year old van. They eat well and the other parent is
home to take care of them, meet them at the door after school.

The other has one parent with the same income but the spouse is also
adding another 75k to the income. They have a 3,500 sq. ft home, a new
BMW and a 1 year old SUV. Since they both work, the kids go to daycare
to be warehoused to 5:30.

In the case of the second family, they are putting material things ahead
of the children. They want the bigger house and nicer cars so they both
work, but the reality is, they can survive with no problems on one
decent income.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On 5/25/2018 8:03 AM, Gary wrote:
> Cindy Hamilton wrote:
>>
>> Hank Rogers wrote:
>>> Exactly what are the jewish customs and rituals related to lighting the
>>> oven?

>> Can't start a fire on the Sabbath. By extension, can't flip an electric
>> switch in case it makes a spark.
>>
>> They make moveable covers for light switches so you can't accidentally
>> break the rules. I've got a couple so I don't, for example, accidentally
>> turn on the overhead light in the bedroom in the middle of the night
>> when I'm trying to turn the ceiling fan on. Both the light and the
>> fan have a decora switch, and it's easy to accidentally brush one when
>> aiming for the other, in the dark.

> Don't you modern jewish ppl see the silliness in all this?
>
> I do believe in a God but not all this nonsense spouted by
> various religions.
>
> The Muslim dawn-to-dusk fasting during the month of Ramadan
> really cracks me up. Heck, I do that all year long and they think
> they are making some sacrifice? LOL!

As a kid, I never understood that is is taboo to eat a leftover hot dog
on Friday, but I could have the shrimp and lobster special. I was never
good at following organized religion rules.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On 5/25/2018 8:11 AM, Gary wrote:

> Why can you turn on your ceiling fan but not the light
> accidently?

It would certainly **** off my wife if she was sleeping.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

Ed Pawlowski wrote:

> On 5/25/2018 8:11 AM, Gary wrote:
> >

> > Why can you turn on your ceiling fan but not the light
> > accidently?
> >

> It would certainly **** off my wife if she was sleeping.

LOL! Seriously, if I ever get married again, wife would probably
have to agree to separate bedrooms. Every night, my light stays
on so I can read on and off, my tv stays on (volume low and CC
on), bedroom fan stays on.

Best to have separate bedrooms and be mates during the daytime
hours.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On 5/25/2018 8:23 AM, Jinx the Minx wrote:

> Those are exactly the ones with nannies and hired help now! Im not sure
> what the big deal is having someone mow the lawn for you once a week or
> having a maid help out washing windows and mopping one day a week. Janet
> isnt speaking of homes with live-in or full time hired help. As a working
> mother of a school aged child, I can tell you Id much rather hire someone
> for $20 an hour to do these tasks for me than to do them myself on my
> measly two days off. I dont hire people to do these tasks for me, but I
> do pay for childcare. I dont work because I am materialistic, but because
> its pretty damn cold living outside without a roof over your head in
> winter here. Work is a necessity. So is childcare. Please dont confuse
> the families Janet is speaking of with families of a bygone era or of
> excessive wealth as depicted in movies and on TV.

I don't care if you have help with lawn care or cleaning if you can
afford it. See my other post with two different scenarios. I see many
situations where a family can do well with one modest, middle class
income but choose to have two so they can take nicer vacations, have a
boat, etc.

When we had kids, my wife stayed home. Others in our circle of friends
with similar incomes made the choice of working. They had better cars,
they took nice vacations, they had their children raised by strangers.
Our vacation was going to the beach for the day while they went
snorkeling in the Bahamas. It was a choice and for many, it is today.

That does not include single parents, low income families that really
have to work. Some do, but many don't.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On 5/25/2018 8:23 AM, Jinx the Minx wrote:

> The food stamp crowd doesnt use grandmom€”they get childcare subsidies to
> enroll their kids at the best daycares in town.

That's a shame. Grandmom is usually better than the best daycare.

> Even so, its splitting hairs to draw a distinction between parents that
> use external daycare vs. daycare that comes to their home. Its exactly
> the same. And in many cases, that college €śnanny€ť (in the olden days known
> as a babysitter) that comes over after school is cheaper!!

Son be it. My beef is when it is not needed. Every household is
different.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

Ed Pawlowski wrote:

> On 5/25/2018 8:23 AM, Jinx the Minx wrote:
>

> > The food stamp crowd doesnt use grandmom€”they get childcare subsidies to
> > enroll their kids at the best daycares in town.

> That's a shame. Grandmom is usually better than the best daycare.

The year my daughter was age 12-13 she thought she could stay
alone while I worked but I didn't agree. I didn't want to leave
her alone at that age. Luckily, my mom and dad moved here for a
year and gramma took care of my daughter while I had to work.
Going to gramma's that summer while I worked didn't seem like a
babysitter to my daughter. It was perfect timing. Saved me lot's
of money too.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On 5/25/2018 6:30 AM, Cindy Hamilton wrote:
> On Thursday, May 24, 2018 at 8:01:11 PM UTC-4, Hank Rogers wrote:

>> Exactly what are the jewish customs and rituals related to lighting the
>> oven?

> Can't start a fire on the Sabbath. By extension, can't flip an electric
> switch in case it makes a spark.

Hence the Sabbath setting you see on appliances.

In a town near me, the cops would go around turning on the lights
etc to get around the rules.

nancy
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Friday, May 25, 2018 at 8:02:48 AM UTC-4, Gary wrote:
> Cindy Hamilton wrote:
> >
> > Hank Rogers wrote:
> > > Exactly what are the jewish customs and rituals related to lighting the
> > > oven?

> > Can't start a fire on the Sabbath. By extension, can't flip an electric
> > switch in case it makes a spark.
> >
> > They make moveable covers for light switches so you can't accidentally
> > break the rules. I've got a couple so I don't, for example, accidentally
> > turn on the overhead light in the bedroom in the middle of the night
> > when I'm trying to turn the ceiling fan on. Both the light and the
> > fan have a decora switch, and it's easy to accidentally brush one when
> > aiming for the other, in the dark.

> Don't you modern jewish ppl see the silliness in all this?

I'm not Jewish. Never was.

> I do believe in a God but not all this nonsense spouted by
> various religions.
>
> The Muslim dawn-to-dusk fasting during the month of Ramadan
> really cracks me up. Heck, I do that all year long and they think
> they are making some sacrifice? LOL!

Do you drink water during the day? They don't.

Cindy Hamilton
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Fri, 25 May 2018 09:05:22 -0400, Ed Pawlowski > wrote:

>On 5/25/2018 8:11 AM, Gary wrote:
>>

>> Why can you turn on your ceiling fan but not the light
>> accidently?

>It would certainly **** off my wife if she was sleeping.

A ceiling fan in a bedroom would **** me off too... actually a fan in
any room blowing on me would **** me off. The only way a ceiling fan
wouldn't annoy me is if it operated in reverse rotation.
In our first house we didn't have A/C but we installed a large attic
fan in the hallway, it operated on exhaust mode only, cooled off the
entire house in the evening quickly but created no draft blowing on
us. Before we had the attic fan we had two window fans that also
operated on exhaust, no draft. Now with central air the only fans we
have is the exhaust fan over the stove and an oscilating pedestil fan
in the basement. We don't air condition the basement so in warm
weather it becomes humid so we have a dehumidifier, On very humid
days we turn on that fan to help the dehumidifier operate more
efficiently.
Often when people buy central air they allow the installer to talk
them into an over sized unit, a big mistake. The installer makes more
money because the larger unit costs more but then it doesn't run long
enough to remove the humidity... the house cools down quickly, then
the house is cool but dank. The more important job of any air
conditioner, even a window unit, is humidity removal, next is air
filtration, last is cooling rate.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Friday, May 25, 2018 at 9:05:25 AM UTC-4, Ed Pawlowski wrote:
> On 5/25/2018 8:11 AM, Gary wrote:
> >

> > Why can you turn on your ceiling fan but not the light
> > accidently?
> >

> It would certainly **** off my wife if she was sleeping.

It would **** me off if I did it to myself. I probably
wouldn't get back to sleep for an hour. That why I have
this:

<https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B002WQ2UBM>

I also have one in the living room so my house cleaner can't fiddle
with the ceiling fan.

Cindy Hamilton
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On 2018-05-25 8:03 AM, Gary wrote:

> I do believe in a God but not all this nonsense spouted by
> various religions.
>
> The Muslim dawn-to-dusk fasting during the month of Ramadan
> really cracks me up. Heck, I do that all year long and they think
> they are making some sacrifice? LOL!

It's enough of a challenge for the many Muslims who live in the middle
east. It can be a real ordeal for those who have settled in northern
Canada and Alaska. I was in Sweden for Midsommer a few years ago. We
were directly west of Stockholm and if you follow their latitude west it
cuts through Canada north of the northern boundaries of the prairie
provinces and then to Anchorage. The sun ducked beneath the horizon a
little after midnight and was back up a few minutes later. Imagine what
it is like to spend a month of not being able to eat for 20 or more
hours per day.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Fri, 25 May 2018 07:23:08 -0700 (PDT), Cindy Hamilton
> wrote:

>On Friday, May 25, 2018 at 8:02:48 AM UTC-4, Gary wrote:
>> Cindy Hamilton wrote:

>> > Can't start a fire on the Sabbath. By extension, can't flip an electric
>> > switch in case it makes a spark.
>> >
>> > They make moveable covers for light switches so you can't accidentally
>> > break the rules. I've got a couple so I don't, for example, accidentally
>> > turn on the overhead light in the bedroom in the middle of the night
>> > when I'm trying to turn the ceiling fan on. Both the light and the
>> > fan have a decora switch, and it's easy to accidentally brush one when
>> > aiming for the other, in the dark.

>> Don't you modern jewish ppl see the silliness in all this?

>I'm not Jewish. Never was.
>
>> I do believe in a God but not all this nonsense spouted by
>> various religions.
>>
>> The Muslim dawn-to-dusk fasting during the month of Ramadan
>> really cracks me up. Heck, I do that all year long and they think
>> they are making some sacrifice? LOL!

>Do you drink water during the day? They don't.
>
>Cindy Hamilton

I'm pretty sure they are permitted water during fasting times for
medical reasons... they don't give up Rx meds, and no rule says you
can't take your pills with a pint of water. Once a year when I go for
blood work it's a fasting test, nothing from midnight... I try to get
an early morning appointment but not always possible, I hate having to
wait until noon without my morning coffee.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Fri, 25 May 2018 14:37:53 -0000 (UTC), Wayne Boatwright
> wrote:

>On Fri 25 May 2018 07:22:37a, Nancy Young told us...

>>> Can't start a fire on the Sabbath. By extension, can't flip an
>>> electric switch in case it makes a spark.

>> Hence the Sabbath setting you see on appliances.
>>
>> In a town near me, the cops would go around turning on the lights
>> etc to get around the rules.
>>
>> nancy
>>

>The first electric range I bought had a a Sabbath setting. Until I
>read the owner's maual I had no idea what it as for. AFAIC, it's
>nothing more than a carryover from ancient times and serves
>absolutely no practical prpose in modern times. There are rules in
>almost every religion that make absolutely no sense today.

why do we have Veteran's Day, birthdays, etc? Why do some people get
tattoos with dates or names on them? Why do people put flowers on a
grave? All these things are acknowledgements or remembrance of
something that is important to the person/group. At least, that is
the way I look at it.
Janet US

Stuff George Shirley[_3_] Preserving 0 06-10-2017 10:43 PM
Can't stop dipping stuff into other stuff Christopher M.[_5_] General Cooking 85 14-01-2014 03:46 PM
Old stuff George Leppla General Cooking 18 01-03-2010 11:19 PM
just stuff elaine General Cooking 10 18-03-2007 01:13 PM
What do I do with this stuff? Silver Beetle Asian Cooking 2 16-01-2006 08:24 PM