Posted to rec.food.cooking

Default inedible meals

i consider a person a good cook if they
rarely make things that can't be eaten.

i consider someone an excellent cook if
that happens once in a few thousand meals.

since i'm pretty sure of what i don't like
and don't cook that sort of thing it is very
very rare that i can't eat what i cook.

i'm not an excellent cook though because i
don't take on-demand requests and try to
satisfy someone else.

that pre-amble said: what have you made
that was horrid?

for me, liver soup, i don't know what i
was thinking. slabs of liver in a tomato
based soup. could not be rescued... the
worms ate that... this was like 30yrs
ago.

lesson very well learned.

it's a cold and blustery early spring day
here, tell me stories.

songbird
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On 2018-04-06 10:32 AM, songbird wrote:
> i consider a person a good cook if they
> rarely make things that can't be eaten.
>
> i consider someone an excellent cook if
> that happens once in a few thousand meals.

Wow. That's really dropping the bar.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

"songbird" > wrote in message
> i consider a person a good cook if they
> rarely make things that can't be eaten.
>
> i consider someone an excellent cook if
> that happens once in a few thousand meals.
>
> since i'm pretty sure of what i don't like
> and don't cook that sort of thing it is very
> very rare that i can't eat what i cook.
>
> i'm not an excellent cook though because i
> don't take on-demand requests and try to
> satisfy someone else.
>
> that pre-amble said: what have you made
> that was horrid?
>
> for me, liver soup, i don't know what i
> was thinking. slabs of liver in a tomato
> based soup. could not be rescued... the
> worms ate that... this was like 30yrs
> ago.
>
> lesson very well learned.
>
> it's a cold and blustery early spring day
> here, tell me stories.
>

> songbird

Once I made a Spam loaf recipe that was stuffed with pickles. It was simply
awful and I like Spam.

Cheri

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On 4/6/2018 9:32 AM, songbird wrote:
> i consider a person a good cook if they
> rarely make things that can't be eaten.
>
> i consider someone an excellent cook if
> that happens once in a few thousand meals.
>
> since i'm pretty sure of what i don't like
> and don't cook that sort of thing it is very
> very rare that i can't eat what i cook.
>
> i'm not an excellent cook though because i
> don't take on-demand requests and try to
> satisfy someone else.
>
> that pre-amble said: what have you made
> that was horrid?
>
> for me, liver soup, i don't know what i
> was thinking. slabs of liver in a tomato
> based soup. could not be rescued... the
> worms ate that... this was like 30yrs
> ago.
>
> lesson very well learned.
>
> it's a cold and blustery early spring day
> here, tell me stories.
>

> songbird

Â* I can't remember that last time I cooked something that was truly
inedible , but there are some recipes that I won't make again . Latest
was a shrimp creole dish that I made recently . Got a good buy on some
giant shrimps and thought I'd do something other than the usual Scampi .
The other half of the package made some really good Scampi ...

--
Snag
Ain't no dollar sign on

Posted to rec.food.cooking

Cheri wrote:
> Once I made a Spam loaf recipe that was stuffed with pickles. It was simply
> awful and I like Spam.

warmth takes away so much of the flavor of
pickles and cheese i rarely like them as much
so i can see why that would be a failure to
impress.

i can eat spam once in a while, but not too
often. i try to limit my amounts of processed
meats like sausages and canned items and there
are so many other things i'd rather have
instead, but once in a while...

songbird
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On 4/6/2018 10:32 AM, songbird wrote:
> i consider a person a good cook if they
> rarely make things that can't be eaten.
>
> i consider someone an excellent cook if
> that happens once in a few thousand meals.
>
> since i'm pretty sure of what i don't like
> and don't cook that sort of thing it is very
> very rare that i can't eat what i cook.
>
> i'm not an excellent cook though because i
> don't take on-demand requests and try to
> satisfy someone else.
>
> that pre-amble said: what have you made
> that was horrid?
>
> for me, liver soup, i don't know what i
> was thinking. slabs of liver in a tomato
> based soup. could not be rescued... the
> worms ate that... this was like 30yrs
> ago.
>
> lesson very well learned.
>
> it's a cold and blustery early spring day
> here, tell me stories.
>

> songbird

Been married nearly 52 years. Many years ago my wife made pork chops in
wine. One time I overcooked chicken wings. They were the only truly
inedible meals we made.

There have been meals that were less spectacular than anticipated or we
did not bother to keep leftovers. Burned a cake on the bottom, but cut
it in half and ate the rest.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

Terry Coombs wrote:
> Â* I can't remember that last time I cooked something that was truly
> inedible , but there are some recipes that I won't make again . Latest
> was a shrimp creole dish that I made recently . Got a good buy on some
> giant shrimps and thought I'd do something other than the usual Scampi .
> The other half of the package made some really good Scampi ...

hard to miss with garlic and butter on those.

songbird
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On 2018-04-06 10:55 AM, Wayne Boatwright wrote:

> On one occasion I made devilled crab as an appetizer from a recipe I
> had made many times. This was at a dinner party for 8 and I knew
> that everone liked seafood. One person took one bite and exclaimed,
> "I can't eat this. It absolutely horrible." I invited them to
> leave.

I would have loved to have been a guest on that occasion!! :-)

> Weather in Phoenix will be a high of 92°F today, so turning the oven
> on will not be a option. :-)

SHURRUP!!!! More effing snow last night and there's still more to come!
-13C right now!
Graham

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Friday, April 6, 2018 at 10:12:22 AM UTC-5, Cheri wrote:

> Once I made a Spam loaf recipe that was stuffed with pickles. It was simply
> awful and I like Spam.
>
> Cheri

Oh Cheri, you just made my stomach lurch.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Friday, April 6, 2018 at 11:55:23 AM UTC-5, Wayne Boatwright wrote:

> As much as I like liver, I would never had attempted to cook it in a
> tomato based soup. Honestly, I think it sounds disgusting. :-)

EEEEEEEEEEEEEEK!!!!!!!!!
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On 2018-04-06 1:06 PM, graham wrote:
> On 2018-04-06 10:55 AM, Wayne Boatwright wrote:
>
>> Weather in Phoenix will be a high of 92°F today, so turning the oven
>> on will not be a option. :-)
>>

> SHURRUP!!!! More effing snow last night and there's still more to come!
> -13C right now!

It is currently 0C here. It snowed this morning and again this
afternoon. I am officially fed up with winter. The light at the end of
the tunnel appears to be next Friday when it will be +11.
I am officially fed up with winter. This one just hasn't let up.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On 2018-04-06 2:56 PM, Dave Smith wrote:
> On 2018-04-06 1:06 PM, graham wrote:
>> On 2018-04-06 10:55 AM, Wayne Boatwright wrote:
>>
>>> Weather in Phoenix will be a high of 92°F today, so turning the oven
>>> on will not be a option. :-)
>>>

>> SHURRUP!!!! More effing snow last night and there's still more to
>> come! -13C right now!

> It is currently 0C here. It snowed this morning and again this
> afternoon. I am officially fed up with winter. The light at the end of
> the tunnel appears to be next Friday when it will be +11.
> I am officially fed up with winter. This one just hasn't let up.

The Feb/March snowfall here was double the average. There's still the
best part of 30cm of snow on the north facing roofs of my house an about
60cm over most of the front and back yards with about 120cm on one side
of the driveway.
It should be above freezing on Monday.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

"songbird" > wrote in message
> i consider a person a good cook if they
> rarely make things that can't be eaten.
>
> i consider someone an excellent cook if
> that happens once in a few thousand meals.
>
> since i'm pretty sure of what i don't like
> and don't cook that sort of thing it is very
> very rare that i can't eat what i cook.
>
> i'm not an excellent cook though because i
> don't take on-demand requests and try to
> satisfy someone else.
>
> that pre-amble said: what have you made
> that was horrid?
>
> for me, liver soup, i don't know what i
> was thinking. slabs of liver in a tomato
> based soup. could not be rescued... the
> worms ate that... this was like 30yrs
> ago.
>
> lesson very well learned.
>
> it's a cold and blustery early spring day
> here, tell me stories.
>

> songbird

The worst thing I can recall was Soba Noodle Salad. I can't remember the
particulars except that the noodles remained hard as a rock.

Then it was Company's Coming Beef and Peaches.

A depression era Tamale Casserole. Not inedible but somewhat flavorless.
Same for the cold water cornbread.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

> wrote in message
> On Friday, April 6, 2018 at 10:12:22 AM UTC-5, Cheri wrote:
>>
>> Once I made a Spam loaf recipe that was stuffed with pickles. It was
>> simply
>> awful and I like Spam.
>>
>> Cheri
>>

> Oh Cheri, you just made my stomach lurch.

It was pretty bad. The recipe didn't sound bad and since I like Spam it
seemed like a good idea, but it was NOT! LOL this is what it was, just
nasty.

Heavenly Ham Loaf with Pickle Stuffing
1954 recipe

Meat layer:

2 12-oz. cans luncheon meat (code for Spam)
1 1/2 cups fine dry bread crumbs
1/4 tsp. black pepper
1/4 tsp. powdered thyme
1/2 cup finely chopped onion
2 eggs
2 cups evaporated milk

Pickle Stuffing:

2 tsp. prepared mustard
1/2 cup evaporated milk
1 cup fine fry bread crumbs
1 3/4 cups sweet pickle relish

In mixing bowl, shred luncheon meat into bits by running tines of fork over
meat. (Or put through food chopper using medium blade). Add the 1 1/2 cups
crumbs, seasonings and onion. Mix thoroughly. Beat eggs slightly with a
fork, then add 2 cups evaporated milk. Add egg-milk mixture to meat mixture.
Mix thoroughly. Pack half the meat mixture into well-greased loaf pan (10
1/4 x 5 1/4 x 3 inches). For the pickle layer, stir mustard into 1/2 cup
evaporated milk. Add 1 cup crumbs and pickle relish and blend. Spread pickle
stuffing evenly and firmly on meat layer. Pack remaining half of meat
mixture over pickle layer. Bake in moderate oven (375°F) 1 hour and 15
minutes. Makes 10 to 12 servings.

Cheri

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Friday, April 6, 2018 at 7:05:36 PM UTC-5, Cheri wrote:

> It was pretty bad. The recipe didn't sound bad and since I like Spam it
> seemed like a good idea, but it was NOT! LOL this is what it was, just
> nasty.
>
> Heavenly Ham Loaf with Pickle Stuffing
> 1954 recipe
>
> Meat layer:
>
> 2 12-oz. cans luncheon meat (code for Spam)
> 1 1/2 cups fine dry bread crumbs
> 1/4 tsp. black pepper
> 1/4 tsp. powdered thyme
> 1/2 cup finely chopped onion
> 2 eggs
> 2 cups evaporated milk
>
> Pickle Stuffing:
>
> 2 tsp. prepared mustard
> 1/2 cup evaporated milk
> 1 cup fine fry bread crumbs
> 1 3/4 cups sweet pickle relish
>
> In mixing bowl, shred luncheon meat into bits by running tines of fork over
> meat. (Or put through food chopper using medium blade). Add the 1 1/2 cups
> crumbs, seasonings and onion. Mix thoroughly. Beat eggs slightly with a
> fork, then add 2 cups evaporated milk. Add egg-milk mixture to meat mixture.
> Mix thoroughly. Pack half the meat mixture into well-greased loaf pan (10
> 1/4 x 5 1/4 x 3 inches). For the pickle layer, stir mustard into 1/2 cup
> evaporated milk. Add 1 cup crumbs and pickle relish and blend. Spread pickle
> stuffing evenly and firmly on meat layer. Pack remaining half of meat
> mixture over pickle layer. Bake in moderate oven (375°F) 1 hour and 15
> minutes. Makes 10 to 12 servings.
>
> Cheri

https://s14.postimg.org/s9rmjoa4h/Puking_smiley.png
Posted to rec.food.cooking

>"songbird" > wrote in message
>> i consider a person a good cook if they
>> rarely make things that can't be eaten.
>>
>> i consider someone an excellent cook if
>> that happens once in a few thousand meals.
>>
>> since i'm pretty sure of what i don't like
>> and don't cook that sort of thing it is very
>> very rare that i can't eat what i cook.
>>
>> i'm not an excellent cook though because i
>> don't take on-demand requests and try to
>> satisfy someone else.
>>
>> that pre-amble said: what have you made
>> that was horrid?
>>
>> for me, liver soup, i don't know what i
>> was thinking. slabs of liver in a tomato
>> based soup. could not be rescued... the
>> worms ate that... this was like 30yrs
>> ago.
>>
>> lesson very well learned.
>>
>> it's a cold and blustery early spring day
>> here, tell me stories.

My most memorable inedble food was a pumpkin swirl cheesecake. I don't
remember the exact recipe, but the pumpkin part tasted like plain
pumpkin out of the tin, and the cheesecake part was not sweet enough,
and was kind of chalky. To this day, my son in law will occasionally
mention this dessert.

I made it about 14 years ago.

Doris
Posted to rec.food.cooking

Wayne Boatwright wrote:
> My friends and family consider me an excellent cook, but I only
> consider myself a good cook and baker. My mother was a superb cook
> and baker, despite the fact that she didn't learn to cook until she
> was 25. My grandmother had live-in help including a cook and her
> childen were not allowed in the kitchen. My dad sent her to culinary
> school for two years.

Mom didn't learn to cook until after she was
married and Grandma taught her. she is not very
adventurous when it comes down to spices and
different cuisines so most of her cooking is
Italianish or many standard American dishes.

i make up for that, i'll once in a while
try something, but i only do it when she's not
around if the spices are really strange as i
know she won't touch it.

> I don't mind taking on-demand requests even if I've never cooked or
> baked it before. However, I will not cook something that I pesonally
> think will be inedible.
>
> As much as I like liver, I would never had attepted to cook it in a
> tomato based soup. Honestly, I think it sounds disgusting. :-)

it really was. no matter what i did to it just
made more of the yuck factor worse.

i'm not much into eating liver these days unless
it is certain ways (braunschwieger from a certain
company, i like it for sandwiches but also use it
to make fake liver pate'). and even then it's so
rich i tend to not eat a lot of it.

> My one abject failure was a pumpkin cheesecake with a gingersnap
> crust that I baked some 40 odd ears ago. The directions indicated
> testing for doneness by insertng a silvere knife midways from edge to
> enter. It came out clean. I refrigerated it for two days prior to
> serving and it came out of the springform pan effortlessly. However,
> when I cut into it, is literally ran all over the serving tray! I
> nver figured that one out.

ew... ha! what a mess.

> I have to admit that when trying a new recipe I was not always happy
> with the flavor, but it was certainly edible and my family enjoyed
> it.
>
> On one occasion I made devilled crab as an appetizer from a recipe I
> had made many times. This was at a dinner party for 8 and I knew
> that everone liked seafood. One person took one bite and exclaimed,
> "I can't eat this. It absolutely horrible." I invited them to
> leave.

i'd try it. i really like certain brands of
the fake crab they make these days, not much into
seafood on the whole though. i do not like the
world market/practices for most of it and decidedly
do not like shrimp unless i see it come out of the
water myself.

> My spouse is a very picky eater and I will often make things for him
> that I presonally would not eat.

i'm generally omnivore but i'm getting picky
as i get older simply because i got tired of
getting sick. when i changed my ways my health
improved.

> That pretty much sums it up.
>
> Tonight's dinner will be an "all American" meal of chicken fried
> steak, mashed potatoes, fresh green beans and, if I get it made in
> time, rum-raisin icen cream.

sounds good to me.

> Weather in Phoenix will be a high of 92°F today, so turning the oven
> on will not be a option. :-)

songbird

Posted to rec.food.cooking

Janet wrote:
> Mushroom and banana omelette :-((
>
> An old friend, very competent cook, told me it was one of his favourite
> comfort foods. I love all three ingredients so gave it a try. It was
> vile.

nothing else on there?

i could probably enjoy that if the banana
was very ripe and only added at the end.

a bit of sweet and sour of some kind
i'd probably like it even more.

years ago someone told me about banana,
onion, peanut butter and mayo sandwich, it
was ok, but not high on my list for a
repeat.

> When I told his daughter how awful it was, she rolled her eyes and
> said "Join the club. I hate it, Mum and my brothers hate it, in fact
> everybody who ever ate it hated it. Only Dad likes it".

i'd try it if someone made it for me.
much prefer my bananas with peanut butter
and not much else. once in a great while
with marshmallows on a whole wheat or
cracked wheat bread. marshmallows burned
to a crisp.

songbird
Posted to rec.food.cooking

Cheri wrote:
> It was pretty bad. The recipe didn't sound bad and since I like Spam it
> seemed like a good idea, but it was NOT! LOL this is what it was, just
> nasty.
>
> Heavenly Ham Loaf with Pickle Stuffing
> 1954 recipe
>
> Meat layer:
>
> 2 12-oz. cans luncheon meat (code for Spam)
> 1 1/2 cups fine dry bread crumbs
> 1/4 tsp. black pepper
> 1/4 tsp. powdered thyme
> 1/2 cup finely chopped onion
> 2 eggs
> 2 cups evaporated milk
>
> Pickle Stuffing:
>
> 2 tsp. prepared mustard
> 1/2 cup evaporated milk
> 1 cup fine fry bread crumbs
> 1 3/4 cups sweet pickle relish
>
> In mixing bowl, shred luncheon meat into bits by running tines of fork over
> meat. (Or put through food chopper using medium blade). Add the 1 1/2 cups
> crumbs, seasonings and onion. Mix thoroughly. Beat eggs slightly with a
> fork, then add 2 cups evaporated milk. Add egg-milk mixture to meat mixture.
> Mix thoroughly. Pack half the meat mixture into well-greased loaf pan (10
> 1/4 x 5 1/4 x 3 inches). For the pickle layer, stir mustard into 1/2 cup
> evaporated milk. Add 1 cup crumbs and pickle relish and blend. Spread pickle
> stuffing evenly and firmly on meat layer. Pack remaining half of meat
> mixture over pickle layer. Bake in moderate oven (375°F) 1 hour and 15
> minutes. Makes 10 to 12 servings.

i'd try it.

not too fond of all the eggs/milk/breadcrumbs but
could probably give it a whirl.

we make pickle and bologna so this is fairly
close in many ways to that. sorta...

songbird
Posted to rec.food.cooking

> wrote in message news:90a01d9f-0c4c-4ae7-b35c-

https://s14.postimg.org/s9rmjoa4h/Puking_smiley.png

LOL, that's about the long and short of it.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

"songbird" > wrote in message speaking of Spam loaf

> i'd try it.
>
> not too fond of all the eggs/milk/breadcrumbs but
> could probably give it a whirl.
>
> we make pickle and bologna so this is fairly
> close in many ways to that. sorta...
>

> songbird

It sounded decent to me too, but it didn't taste that way at all, it was
just awful IMO.

Cheri

Posted to rec.food.cooking

Wayne Boatwright wrote:
>songbird wrote:

>> i'm generally omnivore but i'm getting picky
>> as i get older simply because i got tired of
>> getting sick. when i changed my ways my health
>> improved.

> I think I eat pretty healthy and am rarely sick. What did you
> eliminate or change in your eating habits?

i don't eat commercial chicken much at all any more.
if i eat chicken at a restaurant it is from one place
where i know they do it right.

i don't buy ground beef/chuck/round often and when i
do i tend to use the butcher's place down the road
from us.

if i have beef at a restaurant it is also at the same
place as for the chicken above and they also do the beef
right (a chinese place we've been going to for over 40yrs
- we joke that we've paid for the place). if i buy
beef at the store is the butcher's place down the road
and i usually get a chunk sliced up instead of buying
ground meats.

aside from the place above we rarely eat out at
restaurants these days because almost everyone uses spices
(Mom doesn't like 'em) or pepper (black, white, whatever -
doesn't matter - gives her blisters in her mouth). there's
a steak place over in Bay City we like but that's a bit of
a drive for us.

the other diet related things i do is try to eat plenty
of beans, veggies, fiber, not much meat overall, reduced
smoked/cured meats by quite a bit and am gradually getting
away from sugar. it's a longer term thing on the sugar
because i sure have a sweet tooth and would like to get
back to 150-155lbs in the next few years. the extra weight
is tough to carry when it gets hot outside and i want to
do things in the gardens.

oh and i'm also trying to get away from eating raw
cookie dough. i'm going to be severely tempted today...

songbird

Posted to rec.food.cooking

Terry Coombs wrote:

> Â* I can't remember that last time I cooked something that was truly
> inedible , but there are some recipes that I won't make again .
> Latest was a shrimp creole dish that I made recently . Got a good buy
> on some giant shrimps and thought I'd do something other than the
> usual Scampi . The other half of the package made some really good
> Scampi ...

Entering late to the thread but last time I made something inedible, it
was an attempt to stretch some eggs with tomato paste and water. I
have to laugh at the mess I made. I was 17 and pretty hungry so I
dumped it into a pot and added rice and more water and that worked ok.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

tert in seattle wrote:

> I did something wrong with okra about 25 years ago

Oh yeah. I have a funny one about okra. Years ago, I had only had
okra once and it was an ingredient in a stew of some kind. Seemed
like a nice enough vegetable.

So one day, I saw a bag of frozen sliced okra and I bought it.
Well, I cooked it by itself and put it on the plate as a
vegetable side. At dinner time, I scooped some up with a fork and
watched as a slime trail developed from the plate up to my mouth.
WTF???

I tried another scoop and still saw that creepy slime trail. I
had never heard of this and I totally freaked out. What's going
on here, "Did some factory worker spit in this before they bagged
it for sale?" That's what I figured so I scraped it off my plate
and tossed the rest out too. That slime just seemed so wrong. lol

Another dumbasian time of mine, I was using a recipe and it
called for "cream of tartar." I had never heard of it and didn't
have any so I thought, "cream of..." I'll just substitute milk
instead. I had no clue that it was a powder. lol another recipe
fail.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On 4/6/2018 10:32 AM, songbird wrote:
> i consider a person a good cook if they
> rarely make things that can't be eaten.
>
> i consider someone an excellent cook if
> that happens once in a few thousand meals.
>
> since i'm pretty sure of what i don't like
> and don't cook that sort of thing it is very
> very rare that i can't eat what i cook.
>
> i'm not an excellent cook though because i
> don't take on-demand requests and try to
> satisfy someone else.
>
> that pre-amble said: what have you made
> that was horrid?
>
> for me, liver soup, i don't know what i
> was thinking. slabs of liver in a tomato
> based soup. could not be rescued... the
> worms ate that... this was like 30yrs
> ago.
>
> lesson very well learned.
>
> it's a cold and blustery early spring day
> here, tell me stories.
>

> songbird

I've thought about this for the last day or so. I honestly cannot think
of an inedible meal I've ever cooked.

I did have a near miss which I was able to correct. When I was 16 my
mother went out of town to attend a funeral. I was expected to come
home from school and cook dinner for my father and brother. I guess I
was supposed to know how to do this by osmosis. Heh.

I'd seen my mother broil hamburger patties so I figured okay, I can do
that. No, I didn't burn them. They were browned beautifully... and raw
inside. Dad and my brother tried to put on game faces and say the
burgers were fine but this was beyond rare, they were blue. Not our
cuppa tea.

I whisked the plates off the table and put the burgers back under the
broiler. This time I lowered the oven rack. I cooked them to medium
rare. They agreed, once I gave them their plates back, very good!

That was pretty much my first lesson in broiling hamburgers.

Jill
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On 2018-04-07 12:22 PM, cshenk wrote:
> Terry Coombs wrote:
>
>> Â* I can't remember that last time I cooked something that was truly
>> inedible , but there are some recipes that I won't make again .
>> Latest was a shrimp creole dish that I made recently . Got a good buy
>> on some giant shrimps and thought I'd do something other than the
>> usual Scampi . The other half of the package made some really good
>> Scampi ...

> Entering late to the thread but last time I made something inedible, it
> was an attempt to stretch some eggs with tomato paste and water. I
> have to laugh at the mess I made. I was 17 and pretty hungry so I
> dumped it into a pot and added rice and more water and that worked ok.

I was wracking my brain over this and thought I had had some
disappointments, but nothing I could not eat. I just remembered my
failed attempt to make a green curry. It was truly awful. I scrapped the
shrimp off as much as I could but they were still nasty. I thought that
maybe I should try it in a Thai restaurant some time, but when in
restaurants that had it on the menu the memory of how bad my attempt
turned out was stronger than my idea about giving it another try.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Sat, 7 Apr 2018 13:39:08 -0400, jmcquown >
wrote:

>On 4/6/2018 10:32 AM, songbird wrote:
>> i consider a person a good cook if they
>> rarely make things that can't be eaten.
>>
>> i consider someone an excellent cook if
>> that happens once in a few thousand meals.
>>
>> since i'm pretty sure of what i don't like
>> and don't cook that sort of thing it is very
>> very rare that i can't eat what i cook.
>>
>> i'm not an excellent cook though because i
>> don't take on-demand requests and try to
>> satisfy someone else.
>>
>> that pre-amble said: what have you made
>> that was horrid?
>>
>> for me, liver soup, i don't know what i
>> was thinking. slabs of liver in a tomato
>> based soup. could not be rescued... the
>> worms ate that... this was like 30yrs
>> ago.

I've never heard of liver soup so I looked it up, sure enough there
are lots of recipes... none look edible to me, and I happen to like
calves liver and chicken liver... I like liverwurst too.

>> lesson very well learned.
>>
>> it's a cold and blustery early spring day
>> here, tell me stories.
>>

>> songbird
>>

>I've thought about this for the last day or so. I honestly cannot think
>of an inedible meal I've ever cooked.

Me neither. Like you I've undercooked a few dishes but they were easy
to fix. I've never used my stove's broiler... once I hit the Broil
switch only to see if it worked. Long ago I remember the broiler
being in a bottom drawer of the gas stove, it's was a monsterous job
to clean. Even though the broiler is now at the top of the oven I
still have never used it because I realize how it will make a big mess
in my oven, and my oven has a self clean feature but why mess up the
oven unnesessarily... I've had this stove some twenty years but only
used the self clean feature once, really just to see if it worked. I
use my oven often but with over size roasting pans it stays clean.

>I did have a near miss which I was able to correct. When I was 16 my
>mother went out of town to attend a funeral. I was expected to come
>home from school and cook dinner for my father and brother. I guess I
>was supposed to know how to do this by osmosis. Heh.
>
>I'd seen my mother broil hamburger patties so I figured okay, I can do
>that. No, I didn't burn them. They were browned beautifully... and raw
>inside. Dad and my brother tried to put on game faces and say the
>burgers were fine but this was beyond rare, they were blue. Not our
>cuppa tea.
>
>I whisked the plates off the table and put the burgers back under the
>broiler. This time I lowered the oven rack. I cooked them to medium
>rare. They agreed, once I gave them their plates back, very good!
>
>That was pretty much my first lesson in broiling hamburgers.
>
>Jill

Posted to rec.food.cooking

Dave Smith wrote:

> On 2018-04-06 1:06 PM, graham wrote:
> > On 2018-04-06 10:55 AM, Wayne Boatwright wrote:
> >
> > > Weather in Phoenix will be a high of 92°F today, so turning the
> > > oven on will not be a option. :-)
> > >

> > SHURRUP!!!! More effing snow last night and there's still more to
> > come! -13C right now!

> It is currently 0C here. It snowed this morning and again this
> afternoon. I am officially fed up with winter. The light at the end
> of the tunnel appears to be next Friday when it will be +11. I am
> officially fed up with winter. This one just hasn't let up.

Don't hate on me but my apple trees are busting loose. First greenery
showing now.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

jmcquown wrote:
> I've thought about this for the last day or so. I honestly cannot think
> of an inedible meal I've ever cooked.
>
> I did have a near miss which I was able to correct. When I was 16 my
> mother went out of town to attend a funeral. I was expected to come
> home from school and cook dinner for my father and brother. I guess I
> was supposed to know how to do this by osmosis. Heh.
>
> I'd seen my mother broil hamburger patties so I figured okay, I can do
> that. No, I didn't burn them. They were browned beautifully... and raw
> inside. Dad and my brother tried to put on game faces and say the
> burgers were fine but this was beyond rare, they were blue. Not our
> cuppa tea.

that wouldn't even get a blink from me as that
is about how i like burgers cooked on the grill.
very hot, only for a few moments on each side
with a bit of garlic salt.

of course, meat must be from very good butcher
or ground by me as i'd not do this with most
common ground meats (too contaminated with
bacteria).

> I whisked the plates off the table and put the burgers back under the
> broiler. This time I lowered the oven rack. I cooked them to medium
> rare. They agreed, once I gave them their plates back, very good!
>
> That was pretty much my first lesson in broiling hamburgers.

songbird

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On 4/7/2018 12:22 PM, cshenk wrote:
> Terry Coombs wrote:
>
>> Â* I can't remember that last time I cooked something that was truly
>> inedible , but there are some recipes that I won't make again .
>> Latest was a shrimp creole dish that I made recently . Got a good buy
>> on some giant shrimps and thought I'd do something other than the
>> usual Scampi . The other half of the package made some really good
>> Scampi ...

> Entering late to the thread but last time I made something inedible, it
> was an attempt to stretch some eggs with tomato paste and water. I
> have to laugh at the mess I made. I was 17 and pretty hungry so I
> dumped it into a pot and added rice and more water and that worked ok.

Probably better than it sounds.

I can't think of anything I've made that was inedible, even the plastic
wrapped canned ham tasted fine.

That's not to say I haven't made dishes that ... let's just say, I
didn't hear You can make that again! Follow the recipe and it just
wasn't that good.

Which leads me to my other thought, people who wind up with something
inedible probably are good cooks because they try to make recipes
with what they have on hand. It's not always going to work out the
way they pictured it.

This does not excuse liver and tomato soup. Heh.

nancy

Posted to rec.food.cooking

Nancy Young wrote:
> This does not excuse liver and tomato soup. Heh.

in my case i did make it intentionally from fresh
bought liver and the rest, but there really was
no excuse for it at all. horrid, horrible, icky,
etc.

songbird
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On 2018-04-07 5:31 PM, Nancy Young wrote:

> Which leads me to my other thought, people who wind up with something
> inedible probably are good cooks because they try to make recipes
> with what they have on hand.Â* It's not always going to work out the
> way they pictured it.
>
> This does not excuse liver and tomato soup.Â* Heh.

Who in their right mind might have imagined that it would turn out good?

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On 2018-04-07 5:52 PM, songbird wrote:
> Nancy Young wrote:
>> This does not excuse liver and tomato soup. Heh.

> in my case i did make it intentionally from fresh
> bought liver and the rest, but there really was
> no excuse for it at all. horrid, horrible, icky,
> etc.

How could that possibly have been a surprise?

Sandra's Money Saving Meals: One Pot Meals Ubiquitous General Cooking 8 31-08-2009 12:04 AM
OOT meals Chemiker General Cooking 3 26-07-2009 02:03 PM
Some meals modom (palindrome guy)[_2_] General Cooking 0 01-12-2007 09:39 PM
Best meals to eat before you die Nancy Young General Cooking 75 08-02-2006 03:01 AM
Meals in a jar andicee Preserving 4 21-04-2005 03:33 AM