andicee

Default Meals in a jar

Hi all,

just popped over from misc.survivalism where I'm (hopefully) reliably
informed someone here can help me. I've just acquired some Kilner jars
(Mason jars) and am looking to lay some food up for longish term (year!)
storage. We discussed this ages ago over there and now I've got my jars I
can't find the recipes that I'd saved. It's not so much the recipes, more
the process. I definitely recall whole meals/stews that were either cooked
in the jar or was the cooked food put in the jar? And where does the
pressure cooker come into it?
Any help much appreciated.

Andy

If you can keep your head while those around you are losing theirs, you may
have misjudged the situation.

andy.ceeatdsl.pipex.com

Melba's Jammin'

In article >,
"andicee" > wrote:

> Hi all,
>
> just popped over from misc.survivalism where I'm (hopefully) reliably
> informed someone here can help me. I've just acquired some Kilner jars
> (Mason jars)

> and am looking to lay some food up for longish term (year!) storage.
> We discussed this ages ago over there and now I've got my jars I
> can't find the recipes that I'd saved. It's not so much the recipes,
> more the process. I definitely recall whole meals/stews that were
> either cooked in the jar or was the cooked food put in the jar? And
> where does the pressure cooker come into it? Any help much
> appreciated.

> Andy

Andy, a reliable resource online is the National Center for Home Food
Preservation, located at the University of Georgia in the southern US.
Your use of the Kilner term leads me to believe you're not an American.
Let me know if that's a wrong assumption.

At the NCHFP site, you'll find all kinds of good information to get you
started. It's he <http://www.uga.edu/nchfp/>

The correct processing method for the foods you reference is steam
pressure canning. A pressure canner is different from a pressure cooker
in size and weight of material -- a canner is larger and heavier. I
believe I've seen info that says a pressure cooker may be used for
processng if it is at least 8 quart capacity -- though that size won't
hold very many jars at one time. Most canners I'm familiar with range
anywhere from 12-22 quarts in capacity. They are not inexpensive to
purchase.

Due to the low acidity (pH level) of the foods you referenced, proper
methods must be followed for safety's sake.

Check out the NCHFP site and then come back with questions.
--
-Barb, <http://www.jamlady.eboard.com> Cam Ranh Bay food added 4-8-05.
Sam I Am! updated 4-9-05.
Melba's Jammin'

In article >,
"andicee" > wrote:

> Hi all,
>
> just popped over from misc.survivalism where I'm (hopefully) reliably
> informed someone here can help me. I've just acquired some Kilner jars
> (Mason jars)

> and am looking to lay some food up for longish term (year!) storage.
> We discussed this ages ago over there and now I've got my jars I
> can't find the recipes that I'd saved. It's not so much the recipes,
> more the process. I definitely recall whole meals/stews that were
> either cooked in the jar or was the cooked food put in the jar? And
> where does the pressure cooker come into it? Any help much
> appreciated.

> Andy

Andy, a reliable resource online is the National Center for Home Food
Preservation, located at the University of Georgia in the southern US.
Your use of the Kilner term leads me to believe you're not an American.
Let me know if that's a wrong assumption.

At the NCHFP site, you'll find all kinds of good information to get you
started. It's he <http://www.uga.edu/nchfp/>

The correct processing method for the foods you reference is steam
pressure canning. A pressure canner is different from a pressure cooker
in size and weight of material -- a canner is larger and heavier. I
believe I've seen info that says a pressure cooker may be used for
processng if it is at least 8 quart capacity -- though that size won't
hold very many jars at one time. Most canners I'm familiar with range
anywhere from 12-22 quarts in capacity. They are not inexpensive to
purchase.

Due to the low acidity (pH level) of the foods you referenced, proper
methods must be followed for safety's sake.

Check out the NCHFP site and then come back with questions.
--
-Barb, <http://www.jamlady.eboard.com> Cam Ranh Bay food added 4-8-05.
Sam I Am! updated 4-9-05.
Melba's Jammin'

In article >,
"andicee" > wrote:

> Hi all,
>
> just popped over from misc.survivalism where I'm (hopefully) reliably
> informed someone here can help me. I've just acquired some Kilner jars
> (Mason jars)

> and am looking to lay some food up for longish term (year!) storage.
> We discussed this ages ago over there and now I've got my jars I
> can't find the recipes that I'd saved. It's not so much the recipes,
> more the process. I definitely recall whole meals/stews that were
> either cooked in the jar or was the cooked food put in the jar? And
> where does the pressure cooker come into it? Any help much
> appreciated.

> Andy

Andy, a reliable resource online is the National Center for Home Food
Preservation, located at the University of Georgia in the southern US.
Your use of the Kilner term leads me to believe you're not an American.
Let me know if that's a wrong assumption.

At the NCHFP site, you'll find all kinds of good information to get you
started. It's he <http://www.uga.edu/nchfp/>

The correct processing method for the foods you reference is steam
pressure canning. A pressure canner is different from a pressure cooker
in size and weight of material -- a canner is larger and heavier. I
believe I've seen info that says a pressure cooker may be used for
processng if it is at least 8 quart capacity -- though that size won't
hold very many jars at one time. Most canners I'm familiar with range
anywhere from 12-22 quarts in capacity. They are not inexpensive to
purchase.

Due to the low acidity (pH level) of the foods you referenced, proper
methods must be followed for safety's sake.

Check out the NCHFP site and then come back with questions.
--
-Barb, <http://www.jamlady.eboard.com> Cam Ranh Bay food added 4-8-05.
Sam I Am! updated 4-9-05.
Dwayne

Andy, For the last 6 months I have been "canning meals in a jar". I started
out with ham (both chunks and steaks). Then I moved on to pinto beans
(although most beans can be used), then pinto beans and ham hocks, pinto
beans and pork, beef, chili, soup without meat, fish, chicken, turkey, and
pork ribs. They all came out very well. I am going to try beef stew and
beef and noodles. Anything that you like to eat as a one dish meal you can
probably can in the pressure canner.

There is a lot to learn and I would be happy to share my mistakes and
successes with you if you are interested. The most important thing is to
get the pressure up high enough on the canner (10 to 14 pounds, depending
upon the jar size and what you are canning) and hold it steady for the
required time 55 minutes for veggies to 1 hour and 30 minutes for most
meats. The thing that is so nice about this is that you can eat or give
away your mistakes and store the rest.

Dwayne

"andicee" > wrote in message
> Hi all,
>
> just popped over from misc.survivalism where I'm (hopefully) reliably
> informed someone here can help me. I've just acquired some Kilner jars
> (Mason jars) and am looking to lay some food up for longish term (year!)
> storage. We discussed this ages ago over there and now I've got my jars I
> can't find the recipes that I'd saved. It's not so much the recipes, more
> the process. I definitely recall whole meals/stews that were either cooked
> in the jar or was the cooked food put in the jar? And where does the
> pressure cooker come into it?
> Any help much appreciated.
>
> Andy
>

> If you can keep your head while those around you are losing theirs, you
> may have misjudged the situation.
>
> andy.ceeatdsl.pipex.com

Sandra's Money Saving Meals: One Pot Meals Ubiquitous General Cooking 8 31-08-2009 12:04 AM
OOT meals Chemiker General Cooking 3 26-07-2009 02:03 PM
Some meals modom (palindrome guy)[_2_] General Cooking 0 01-12-2007 09:39 PM
Best meals to eat before you die Nancy Young General Cooking 75 08-02-2006 03:01 AM
Meals in a jar andicee Preserving 0 12-04-2005 03:59 PM