Posted to rec.food.cooking

Default Boiling or simmering raw sausage links

I'm thinking Italian or just plain pork. But I'm wondering how long it takes to boil them. I don't want to make them with the beans. I don't care about browning them either. How they look added to the bean mix doesn't mean much. I am thinking about making the beans by alone, then adding the boiled sausage afterwards along with some onion and bell pepper and garlic and parsley and cut up roma tomatoes, etc., sauteed in olive oil. It sounds like a stupid question and maybe it is, but I think boiling the sausage might reduce some of the fat, but not all the flavor. Again, I don't care about browning the sausage for this recipe, just how long to boil or simmer. I have no thermometer and have no intention of buying one. Thanks.

TJ
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Tuesday, November 21, 2017 at 7:04:04 PM UTC-6, wrote:

> I'm thinking Italian or just plain pork. But I'm wondering how long it takes to boil them. I don't want to make them with the beans. I don't care about browning them either. How they look added to the bean mix doesn't mean much. I am thinking about making the beans by alone, then adding the boiled sausage afterwards along with some onion and bell pepper and garlic and parsley and cut up roma tomatoes, etc., sauteed in olive oil. It sounds like a stupid question and maybe it is, but I think boiling the sausage might reduce some of the fat, but not all the flavor. Again, I don't care about browning the sausage for this recipe, just how long to boil or simmer. I have no thermometer and have no intention of buying one. Thanks.
>
> TJ

If they're Italian sausages I always poke holes in the casings to let
a lot of the fat drain out. What kind are you cooking?

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Tuesday, November 21, 2017 at 8:11:42 PM UTC-5, wrote:

> If they're Italian sausages I always poke holes in the casings to let
> a lot of the fat drain out. What kind are you cooking?

Not sure yet. I am a prepper more than a cook. For example, sometimes I'll buy a bucket of Wendy's chile and add things to it. I will saute onion, green pepper, jalapeno, mushrooms, and roma tomatoes in olive oil then add it to the bucket of chile. I will make some rice to last 6 days, same as the chile mix will last, and I will eat it every day. I also broil or buy pre cooked chicken or pork at Whole Foods to cut up a bit and add to the mix each day. I am not touting Wendy's chile, but I used that recipe of mine as an example of my prepping method. Some people say they can't eat the same thing 6 days in a row, yet they eat sausage or bacon with eggs every day. I like the prepping method. If a mistake is made and things don't turn out so good it's just for one day. The base, which is the chile or the beans I'll make, that will be good and will be used every day, but what is added can be switched up day to day. I like the prepping method.

I want to saute a similar spice mix for the beans and boiled or simmered sausage. As to what kind I'm using, I think I'll go with sweet Italian. But I also like regular pork sausage. I agree about poking holes in. I am not anti fat, anti sugar, anti salt, or any of that - but I do like to keep it to a minimum sometimes. Like when I make the Wendy's mix, I know there's a lot of salt in it, so I don't add any.

I will poke holes in the sausage. I want the casings on. But my question is, at a low simmer, how long should I cook the sausage? Also, when the mix is made and put in the fridge to be brought out each day I put it in a bowl and add some rice in the middle, on top, and put a paper towel over it and microwave it for 3 minutes or so. So I don't think I'll have to cook the sausage to death. So, in your opinion, what is a safe time for cooking the raw sausage? Every day when the bean and veggie mix is brought out I add however much sausage I want to the individual plate, I don't put it in all at once. I gauge what I eat. My uncle used to call me "the measuring man."

Thanks for your response and any to come after this. Yes, I think I'll be using Italian sweet sausage or regular pork, uncooked of course, and they will be thick juicy ones, not the small links.

TJ
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Wednesday, November 22, 2017 at 4:54:57 PM UTC-6, wrote:

> I will poke holes in the sausage. I want the casings on. But my question is, at a low simmer, how long should I cook the sausage?

At a low simmer I would cook them about 30 minutes.

> Also, when the mix is made and put in the fridge to be brought out each day I put it in a bowl and add some rice in the middle, on top, and put a paper towel over it and microwave it for 3 minutes or so. So I don't think I'll have to cook the sausage to death. So, in your opinion, what is a safe time for cooking the raw sausage? Every day when the bean and veggie mix is brought out I add however much sausage I want to the individual plate, I don't put it in all at once. I gauge what I eat. My uncle used to call me "the measuring man."

Usually, when I heat up something along that line I will do also heat it
up for about 3 minutes or so but at a reduced power. Maybe 60% power.

> Thanks for your response and any to come after this. Yes, I think I'll be using Italian sweet sausage or regular pork, uncooked of course, and they will be thick juicy ones, not the small links.
>
> TJ

If you feel like it, after those sausages have simmered until done,
throw them in a hot skillet for just a few minutes for a bit of
browning. Will improve the taste and crisp up the skin.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Wednesday, November 22, 2017 at 7:29:04 PM UTC-5, wrote:

> At a low simmer I would cook them about 30 minutes.

> Usually, when I heat up something along that line I will do also heat it
> up for about 3 minutes or so but at a reduced power. Maybe 60% power.

> If you feel like it, after those sausages have simmered until done,
> throw them in a hot skillet for just a few minutes for a bit of
> browning. Will improve the taste and crisp up the skin.

Thanks, I'm going to make the beans and sausage early next week. I'm still eating the 6 day spread I made Wednesday. I won't go into it, but it's pretty good.

Now, as for browning the sausage, I won't argue it might taste better that way, but I'll be using it in the beans (either great northern or kidney, always done to near mush), so I'll probably pass on the browning because I'm a lazy guy and I'll have less pan to wash. Appreciate the advice though.

Now speaking of beans, I have a very simple recipe my Arab grandparents used to make. It is not found in most Arab cook books because it came from Arabs who landed in Brazil back in the 20s or so. It's so simple it's incredible. My grandmother used clarified butter for almost all cooking. I use the bottled type from Trader Joe's. Regular butter is ok too. Below is the recipe, and the bean to meat ratio can stay regardless of the amount you make.

5 ingredients only:

Kidney beans (the light red ones)
Beef roast
Butter
Garlic
Dried Mint

Also rice, which I don't include as an actual ingredient. Instructions below:

Put 1 pound light kidney beans in a big pot with a 1 pound roast - chuck or sirloin is good. My grandmother used lamb. Too hard to find, so I go with beef.

Cover with 6 cups of water and bring to a boil. Lower and cover and simmer for 2 to 3 hours, checking on it now and then. My grandmother let the meat sit in the beans all the way till it was breaking apart, which was great - but I take the meat out at about the 2 hour mark because I want to add it daily to the finished product.

This is so easy and simple it's incredible. While the beans are cooking, take a bunch of raw garlic and mince it well. The amount is up to you. When the beans are done, put them on the back burner and get out a skillet. In the skillet put 4 tablespoons of butter and melt it down. Add the garlic and stir for about 5 minutes. Keep your eyes on it so it does not brown. It will ruin the mix.

When the garlic and butter mix is done, add it to the beans along with a good palm-ful of dried mint. Stir the mint and butter and garlic mix into the beans and that's it. Put on rice and eat. Since I do the prep thing I don't make the rice every day or eat it traditional style with the beans over the rice. I cut up some meat each day along with maybe some spinach or parsley, which is not necessary but adds nutrition and does not destroy the flavor. I put the beans, spinach, and meat, in a bowl and place a handful of cooked rice in the center. I cover the bowl and micro for 3 minutes. And that's it. One day for cooking, 7 meals overall with little or no work.

Oh, one more thing, I agree with you on the micro power, but my unit is cheap and not so powerful. So when it comes to using the micro it's up to whoever owns it and knows it. Thanks for your post.

Now,

Posted to rec.food.cooking

HMU

CALL OR TEXT or watsapp ....+17546663823
Wickr id............budsman35
Email

hello we are leading suppliers of pharmaceutical product meds online we operate on daily and retails basis and very reliable and our product are 100% top quality am ready to supply on large and smaller orders and i am looking in building a strong business relationship with potential client around the world i do world wide delivery and delivery is guarantee.
see price list offer and pm me or you can get me on whatsapp

FOR ZOLPICLONE 7.5MG SMALLER ORDER
250 tabs..........................‎£90
500 tabs...........................‎£150
1000 tabs.........................‎£250
2500 tabs.........................£350
5000 tabs.........................£500
7500 tabs.........................£700
10000 tabs........................£850
15000 tabs........................£1200
25000 tabs........................£1500

FOR DIAZEPAM SHALINA BRAND
diazepam 10mg 500pills £100
diazepam 10mg 300pills £70
diazepam 10mg 1000pills £150
diazepam 10mg 5000pills £350
diazepam 5mg 1000pills £120
diazepam 5mg 5000pills £300
diazepam 5mg 10000pills £500
diazepam 10mg 10000pills £700

FOR ROCHE DIAZEPAMS 10MG SMALLER ORDER
250 tabs..........................‎£90
500 tabs...........................‎£150
1000 tabs.........................‎£250
2500 tabs.........................£350
5000 tabs.........................£500
7500 tabs.........................£700
10000 tabs........................£850
15000 tabs........................£1200
25000 tabs........................£1500

TEVA 10MG DIAZEPAMS SMALLER ORDER
250 tabs...........................‎£90
500 tabs...........................‎£150
1000 tabs.........................‎£250
2500 tabs.........................£350
5000 tabs.........................£500
7500 tabs.........................£700
10000 tabs.......................£850
15000 tabs.......................£1200
25000 tabs.......................£1500
ketamine £20 each vial/1g
ketamine powder each gram £25

FOR TRAMADOL APPLE FLAVOUR
tramadol 50mg 250pills £80
tramadol 100mg 300pills £90
tramadol 225mg 300pills £120
tramadol 50mg 500pills £130
tramadol 100mg 500pills £140
tramadol 250mg 500pills £150
tramadol 50mg 1000pills £200
tramadol 100mg 1000pills £220
tramadol 250mg 1000pills £250

FOR TRAMADOL BULK ORDER
tramadol 50mg 5000pills £450
tramadol 100mg 5000pills £550
tramadol 250mg 5000pills £700

i also have my delivery records all around the worlds and i providedated pictures with buyers name and my name CALL US OR TEXT ....+17546663823 email for detailsi supply more than the quantity listed,i give additional discount to more larger ordersi look forward in doing great business with reliable buyersthanks email for details kushpharma35

CALL OR TEXT or watsapp ....+17546663823
Wickr id............budsman35
Email :

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On 11/22/2017 7:29 PM, wrote:
> On Wednesday, November 22, 2017 at 4:54:57 PM UTC-6, wrote:
>>
>> I will poke holes in the sausage. I want the casings on. But my question is, at a low simmer, how long should I cook the sausage?
>>

> At a low simmer I would cook them about 30 minutes.
>>
>> Also, when the mix is made and put in the fridge to be brought out each day I put it in a bowl and add some rice in the middle, on top, and put a paper towel over it and microwave it for 3 minutes or so. So I don't think I'll have to cook the sausage to death. So, in your opinion, what is a safe time for cooking the raw sausage? Every day when the bean and veggie mix is brought out I add however much sausage I want to the individual plate, I don't put it in all at once. I gauge what I eat. My uncle used to call me "the measuring man."
>>

> Usually, when I heat up something along that line I will do also heat it
> up for about 3 minutes or so but at a reduced power. Maybe 60% power.
>>
>> Thanks for your response and any to come after this. Yes, I think I'll be using Italian sweet sausage or regular pork, uncooked of course, and they will be thick juicy ones, not the small links.
>>
>> TJ
>>

> If you feel like it, after those sausages have simmered until done,
> throw them in a hot skillet for just a few minutes for a bit of
> browning. Will improve the taste and crisp up the skin.

Yep, Italian sausage in the casing (tasty for sure) definitely benefits
from a bit of browning.

Jill
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Thu, 23 Nov 2017 11:16:03 -0500, jmcquown >
wrote:

>On 11/22/2017 7:29 PM, wrote:
>> On Wednesday, November 22, 2017 at 4:54:57 PM UTC-6, wrote:
>>>
>>> I will poke holes in the sausage. I want the casings on. But my question is, at a low simmer, how long should I cook the sausage?
>>>

>> At a low simmer I would cook them about 30 minutes.
>>>
>>> Also, when the mix is made and put in the fridge to be brought out each day I put it in a bowl and add some rice in the middle, on top, and put a paper towel over it and microwave it for 3 minutes or so. So I don't think I'll have to cook the sausage to death. So, in your opinion, what is a safe time for cooking the raw sausage? Every day when the bean and veggie mix is brought out I add however much sausage I want to the individual plate, I don't put it in all at once. I gauge what I eat. My uncle used to call me "the measuring man."
>>>

>> Usually, when I heat up something along that line I will do also heat it
>> up for about 3 minutes or so but at a reduced power. Maybe 60% power.
>>>
>>> Thanks for your response and any to come after this. Yes, I think I'll be using Italian sweet sausage or regular pork, uncooked of course, and they will be thick juicy ones, not the small links.
>>>
>>> TJ
>>>

>> If you feel like it, after those sausages have simmered until done,
>> throw them in a hot skillet for just a few minutes for a bit of
>> browning. Will improve the taste and crisp up the skin.
>>

>Yep, Italian sausage in the casing (tasty for sure) definitely benefits
>from a bit of browning.
>
>Jill

I thought the recommended way to cook sausages was to put a bit of
water in the pan (1/4 inch maybe) put the sausages in on medium, cook
and turn until the water is gone, sausages are firm and browned. Not
sure where I picked that up
Janet US
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On 11/23/2017 11:25 AM, U.S. Janet B. wrote:
> On Thu, 23 Nov 2017 11:16:03 -0500, jmcquown >
> wrote:

>>> At a low simmer I would cook them about 30 minutes.

>>> Usually, when I heat up something along that line I will do also heat it
>>> up for about 3 minutes or so but at a reduced power. Maybe 60% power.

>>> If you feel like it, after those sausages have simmered until done,
>>> throw them in a hot skillet for just a few minutes for a bit of
>>> browning. Will improve the taste and crisp up the skin.
>>>

>> Yep, Italian sausage in the casing (tasty for sure) definitely benefits
>>from a bit of browning.
>>
>> Jill

> I thought the recommended way to cook sausages was to put a bit of
> water in the pan (1/4 inch maybe) put the sausages in on medium, cook
> and turn until the water is gone, sausages are firm and browned. Not
> sure where I picked that up
> Janet US

I've simmered Italian sausages (pricked). I've grilled them. I would
like a bit of browning and your method suggests a combination of both
simmering and browning.

The original post doesn't really make sense to me. First mentions
cooking beans, then sausage, then rice. Oh, are we talking beans and
rice with sausage? Hard to tell.

Jill
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Thu, 23 Nov 2017 09:25:01 -0700, U.S. Janet B. >
wrote:

>On Thu, 23 Nov 2017 11:16:03 -0500, jmcquown >
>wrote:

>>> At a low simmer I would cook them about 30 minutes.

>>> Usually, when I heat up something along that line I will do also heat it
>>> up for about 3 minutes or so but at a reduced power. Maybe 60% power.

>>> If you feel like it, after those sausages have simmered until done,
>>> throw them in a hot skillet for just a few minutes for a bit of
>>> browning. Will improve the taste and crisp up the skin.
>>>

>>Yep, Italian sausage in the casing (tasty for sure) definitely benefits
>>from a bit of browning.
>>
>>Jill

>I thought the recommended way to cook sausages was to put a bit of
>water in the pan (1/4 inch maybe) put the sausages in on medium, cook
>and turn until the water is gone, sausages are firm and browned. Not
>sure where I picked that up
>Janet US

That works okay when cooking a small quantity so there's only one
layer to saute, however that method doesn't eliminate the salt.
I usually simmer a couple dozen so I cover them with water to
simmer... dump the water... then I use two pans for browning in a wee
bit of olive oil. I see no reason to poke holes in the casings, just
don't boil them. When I make my own sausage I control the salt
content and I rarely stuff casings, it's much simpler to make
patties/meatballs.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Thursday, November 23, 2017 at 1:04:45 PM UTC-6, Sheldon wrote:

> On Thu, 23 Nov 2017 09:25:01 -0700, U.S. Janet B. >
> wrote:
> >
> >I thought the recommended way to cook sausages was to put a bit of
> >water in the pan (1/4 inch maybe) put the sausages in on medium, cook
> >and turn until the water is gone, sausages are firm and browned. Not
> >sure where I picked that up
> >Janet US

> That works okay when cooking a small quantity so there's only one
> layer to saute, however that method doesn't eliminate the salt.
> I usually simmer a couple dozen so I cover them with water to
> simmer... dump the water... then I use two pans for browning in a wee
> bit of olive oil. I see no reason to poke holes in the casings, just
> don't boil them. When I make my own sausage I control the salt
> content and I rarely stuff casings, it's much simpler to make
> patties/meatballs.

_Italian sausages_ are definitely benefited with a few holes poked into
their casings. That is unless you like eating all that pork fat. Hey,
you can suck on your shirt later if you get hungry after it has splattered
that grease all over the front.

Even if _Italian sausages_ are grilled outdoor they benefit from being
poked with several holes. It's that fat thing I talked about in the
previous paragraph.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

wrote in rec.food.cooking:

> [...]

> with a good palm-ful of dried mint. Stir the mint and butter and
> garlic mix into the beans and that's it. Put on rice and eat. Since
> I do the prep thing I don't make the rice every day or eat it
> traditional style with the beans over the rice. I cut up some meat
> each day along with maybe some spinach or parsley, which is not
> necessary but adds nutrition and does not destroy the flavor. I put
> the beans, spinach, and meat, in a bowl and place a handful of cooked
> rice in the center. I cover the bowl and micro for 3 minutes. And
> that's it. One day for cooking, 7 meals overall with little or no
> work.
>
> Oh, one more thing, I agree with you on the micro power, but my unit
> is cheap and not so powerful. So when it comes to using the micro
> it's up to whoever owns it and knows it. Thanks for your post.

Hi Jaz,

I like generally the recipe but the mint simply feels wrong to me?
Different traditions likely there.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Thursday, November 23, 2017 at 2:37:52 PM UTC-5, cshenk wrote:
> [...]

> > I do the prep thing I don't make the rice every day or eat it
> > traditional style with the beans over the rice. I cut up some meat
> > each day along with maybe some spinach or parsley, which is not
> > necessary but adds nutrition and does not destroy the flavor. I put
> > the beans, spinach, and meat, in a bowl and place a handful of cooked
> > rice in the center. I cover the bowl and micro for 3 minutes. And
> > that's it. One day for cooking, 7 meals overall with little or no
> > work.
> >
> > Oh, one more thing, I agree with you on the micro power, but my unit
> > is cheap and not so powerful. So when it comes to using the micro
> > it's up to whoever owns it and knows it. Thanks for your post.
> >
> > Now,

> Hi Jaz,
>
> I like generally the recipe but the mint simply feels wrong to me?

I understand. Some recipes don't sound good on paper. How about hummus for instance? Chick peas and sesame paste? How did that come about? Probably by accident, both foods sitting separately on a plate and coming together and someone going, "Hmmm, not bad." I hate chick peas. I don't like beans of any kind that are too firm. But I love them boiled almost to mash. I guess it's the broth. I know the mint in the beans sounds odd but it really adds a unique flavor that is not overbearing, depending of course on how much one adds. That's another benefit to prepping. Make the beans and meat then place them separately in the fridge. Take a little meat and cut up and add the beans and rice. Now you can add just a taste of mint, and if you don't like it all you've lost is one small meal, not an entire pot of food.

TJ
Posted to rec.food.cooking

Sorry to carry on, but speaking of hummus, I made some today, good for the next 6 days, 7 meals in all. I use two cans of progresso chick peas, rinsed. While rinsing I rub the beans between my hands and the skins peel off. I then dump the water into a strainer sitting over a pot. I do this about 6 times till nearly all the skins are off. Then I put the beans in a pot and simmer them even though they are already cooked.

While the beans are heating I dice up about 6 big cloves of garlic and add them to some salt in a mortar (or is it a pestle?). I go the old fashioned way. It takes about 200 turns of the wrist to grind the garlic into butter. Then I add about 7 tablespoons of tahini to the beans - 2 20 oz cans, 40 oz in all. I stir it till it hardens. Then I add half a lemon and stir some more. Then more lemon. Then some cold water till I get the consistency I want. I then remove the beans from the heat and mash down with a potato masher. Then I removed the mashed beans from the pot and put them on a huge plate and fine mash them with a fork. I put the beans in a rubbermaid container and add the tahini mix spoonful by spoonful till I get the right consistency. I have to admit it, I do make pretty good hummus. Mine is not so much a dip as a meal. Kind of thick. Each day I put some on a plate along with some pre cooked chicken breast from Whole Foods, some oranges and cucumbers cut up along with some cold cooked sweet potatoes surrounded with olives. I eat it with toasted flat bread. It's a great dish if I must say so myself. I don't use much chicken. A half pound will give me 4 or 5 portions when put on a plate with hummus. I also put score the top of the hummus with a fork and drizzle some olive oil onto it along with some cayenne pepper. It's a pain in the butt making it, but once done it's good for 6 days, 7 meals in all, with no work other than slinging the stuff together on a plate. Thanks for bearing with me on this.

TJ

Posted to rec.food.cooking

wrote in rec.food.cooking:

> On Thursday, November 23, 2017 at 2:37:52 PM UTC-5, cshenk wrote:

wrote in rec.food.cooking:

(snipped bean and rice with meat and mint recipe)

> > Hi Jaz,
> >
> > I like generally the recipe but the mint simply feels wrong to me?
> > Different traditions likely there.
> >
> > --

> I understand. Some recipes don't sound good on paper. How about
> hummus for instance? Chick peas and sesame paste? How did that come
> about? Probably by accident, both foods sitting separately on a
> plate and coming together and someone going, "Hmmm, not bad." I hate
> chick peas. I don't like beans of any kind that are too firm. But I
> love them boiled almost to mash. I guess it's the broth. I know the
> mint in the beans sounds odd but it really adds a unique flavor that
> is not overbearing, depending of course on how much one adds. That's
> another benefit to prepping. Make the beans and meat then place them
> separately in the fridge. Take a little meat and cut up and add the
> beans and rice. Now you can add just a taste of mint, and if you
> don't like it all you've lost is one small meal, not an entire pot of
> food.
>
> TJ

I follow you. I have plenty of recipes where parts are cooked then
added later by serving. There's a term my friend Susan uses for it
called 'cook once, eat many'. I think it came from a book or a trend.

An example of what she does is to brown up enough ground beef for a
week then freeze the rest.

Susan has an extended family and feeds from 9-13 people (2 of them
small grandkids) each meal. Humm, lets see if I can count them up.
There's Susan and her husband, and 4 adult kids of which 3 are married
and 2 live with her (plus one son in law and 2 of the grandkids). The
other 2 adult kids and their spouses live within 100 yards or so and
there are 2 middle school aged kids. (Yes, they kick in for the
groceries).

Her Thanksgiving preps started Tuesday with cookies and other make
ahead items. Today she did 2 Turkeys and one of the sons brought over a
baked ham. She's the only one I know in person with a stand alone
stove and a secondary counter rangetop who really needs all that.

While her needs are different from yours, she'd definately do the same
sort of mix-n-match cookery.

Carol

Posted to rec.food.cooking

wrote in rec.food.cooking:

> Sorry to carry on, but speaking of hummus, I made some today, good
> for the next 6 days, 7 meals in all. I use two cans of progresso
> chick peas, rinsed. While rinsing I rub the beans between my hands
> and the skins peel off. I then dump the water into a strainer
> sitting over a pot. I do this about 6 times till nearly all the
> skins are off. Then I put the beans in a pot and simmer them even
> though they are already cooked.
>
> While the beans are heating I dice up about 6 big cloves of garlic
> and add them to some salt in a mortar (or is it a pestle?). I go the
> old fashioned way. It takes about 200 turns of the wrist to grind
> the garlic into butter. Then I add about 7 tablespoons of tahini to
> the beans - 2 20 oz cans, 40 oz in all. I stir it till it hardens.
> Then I add half a lemon and stir some more. Then more lemon. Then
> some cold water till I get the consistency I want. I then remove the
> beans from the heat and mash down with a potato masher. Then I
> removed the mashed beans from the pot and put them on a huge plate
> and fine mash them with a fork. I put the beans in a rubbermaid
> container and add the tahini mix spoonful by spoonful till I get the
> right consistency. I have to admit it, I do make pretty good hummus.
> Mine is not so much a dip as a meal. Kind of thick. Each day I put
> some on a plate along with some pre cooked chicken breast from Whole
> Foods, some oranges and cucumbers cut up along with some cold cooked
> sweet potatoes surrounded with olives. I eat it with toasted flat
> bread. It's a great dish if I must say so myself. I don't use much
> chicken. A half pound will give me 4 or 5 portions when put on a
> plate with hummus. I also put score the top of the hummus with a
> fork and drizzle some olive oil onto it along with some cayenne
> pepper. It's a pain in the butt making it, but once done it's good
> for 6 days, 7 meals in all, with no work other than slinging the
> stuff together on a plate. Thanks for bearing with me on this.
>
> TJ

Smile, easy thing to do there! I've only made hummus a few times but
the recipe seems close. Your use of meat as more of a garnish matches
my home's eating. We aren't vegetarian by any means, but normally meat
here is 3oz or less a day unless it's fish in which case can be upwards
of 8oz serving.

On the gear, the: mortar (or is it a pestle?) bit? The bowl like part
is the mortar and the masher part is the pestle.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

HMU

CALL OR TEXT or watsapp ....+17546663823
Wickr id............miken
[...]

Posted to rec.food.cooking

https://www.centraltexasfoodbank.org...ntation-057jpg

> Hide the Ho Ho's!!!!!!!!!!
>
> - sw
> Do not let "Oscar" near your food. He was obliviously digging
> boogers out of his nose with his thumb at the end of the check-stand
> while bagging groceries. Fortunately he was bagging the customer
> next to me, not mine. Otherwise I would have made a stink about it
> right then, and with no mercy.
>
> Note - it has been one month since I visited Sprouts and wrote this

review (Grand Opening weekend, IIRC) as well as writing to corporate
about my experience (Oscar + overcharges). Sprouts has never responded
or offered a refund. They'll probably complain about this review, though.

> They get 1 star for nose-picking while touching customer food.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Fri, 24 Nov 2017 15:51:29 GMT, "l not -l" > wrote:

>On 24-Nov-2017, wrote:
>
>> On 11/24/2017 12:03 AM, Sqwertz wrote:

>> > It takes 10-12 seconds to wash a pan that going to be used to
>> > make
>> > something you're going to eat for 6 days taste better. You
>> > really are
>> > a lazy ****. This is why I didn't and wont even try and
>> > answer of
>> > your cooking questions.
>> >
>> > -sw
>> >

>> TJ has always been proud of his laziness. If I was going to
>> make beansAndouille
>> in the pan right after the sausage, no reason to clean it. The
>> fond
>> would add some flavor. Make it easier to clean when all is
>> done.

>+1 Why lose all that flavor.
>
>However, it would never have crossed my mind to boil any kind of
>sausage, except crappy hot dogs, which I haven't had in years.
>But, I do use smoked shanks, or similar, in many kinds of beans,
>browning them, then adding water to deglaze then cook the beans.
>With red beans, I add coins of Andouille after the beans have
>cooked. The closest I've come to boiling sausage is adding
>Polish sausage to cabbage, simmering/braising it until warmed
>through.

Not boil! Slow simmer!

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Thursday, November 23, 2017 at 9:57:12 PM UTC-5, cshenk wrote:

> On the gear, the: mortar (or is it a pestle?) bit? The bowl like part
> is the mortar and the masher part is the pestle.

Thanks for both those posts. I have a great memory, no bragging, it's true.. But for some reason even though I have been told before on several occasions which is the mortar and which is the pestle I for some reason never get it planted in my brain. Probably because I don't use it much. I used to have a good wooden one with a nice thick rounded pestle. The one I have now is some kind of marble with a pestle that is too thin. But it's usable. The hummus turned out great. I am with you and your family - I am no vegetarian but eat lots of veggies and keep the meat to 3 ounces typically. Now and then a good 6 to 8 ounce steak is nice, but it's not a regular thing with me. I'm a soup and stew type guy, also cold dishes slung together such as the fruit plate I mentioned with the hummus. I got into the 6 day prep routine over the years when I drove a cab and didn't have enough time to cook every day. Now that I am 'retired' and collecting $735 a month SSI I still use that same system. I live on less than some people spend in a week, but I feel wealthy because I don't have to work. I also said, "No matter how much money you make, if you HAVE to work you're not rich." Thanks for your posts.

TJ

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Friday, November 24, 2017 at 10:20:15 AM UTC-5, Ed Pawlowski wrote:

> TJ has always been proud of his laziness. If I was going to make beans
> in the pan right after the sausage, no reason to clean it. The fond
> would add some flavor. Make it easier to clean when all is done.

Thanks, that is what I intended to do. I just didn't want to brown the sausages and get a bunch of grease in the air. I will simmer them then dump the water and add new water to make the beans. I'm going to use great northern which will look good with the roma tomatoes and parsley and other spice/veggies tossed in. Yes Ed, I have always been proud of my laziness and have always admitted to hating work - yet I am also proud of being one of the best workers I have ever known because pretending to work is harder than work itself, in the same way that lying is harder than telling the truth. I am going to simmer the sausage and set aside, then make the beans. When the beans are done I'm going to saute all those veggies and spices in olive oil and add to the beans. The sausage will be cut up into pieces, sliced or diced, however I want it from day to day, and added each day as opposed to tossed into the mix all at once. I also might add some spinach each day. I know sausage looks and maybe even tastes better browned, but once it's in the bean mix I don't think it matters much. Thanks again.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Friday, November 24, 2017 at 6:00:52 PM UTC-5, Sheldon wrote:

> Not boil! Slow simmer!

Words, words, words. Ok, I meant simmer. Of course I'm not going to boil them to death. Sorry for using the wrong word. Do I get a pardon or will I be taken out and shot at dawn?

TJ
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Friday, November 24, 2017 at 3:00:23 PM UTC-5, Sheldon wrote:

> True, only need one pan to brown saw-seege and then add beans.... TJ
> just proves he uses toothpics to dunk vienna sausage into a can of
> beans... no clean up.

I am not anti fat or sugar or salt, I just don't want the beans swimming in a bunch of sausage fat with a bunch of preservatives. So I figure I'll simmer the sausage then dump the water, add fresh water and make the beans. Fat will come into the meal later when I saute the veggie/spice mix in olive oil. I sometimes use a mix of half butter and half oil. Vienna sausages - I've had them - oblong spam I guess it could be called. Don't knock it for the hungry. Some people need a bit of hardship in their lives, a few years in a prisoner of war camp or whatever to make them appreciate what they've got. Even potato chips are food when one is hungry enough. And how about a few pickled eggs to go along with the vienna sausages? Perhaps a Twinkie with a Slim Jim in the middle? Yummy!
Posted to rec.food.cooking

wrote in rec.food.cooking:

> On Thursday, November 23, 2017 at 9:57:12 PM UTC-5, cshenk wrote:
>
> > On the gear, the: mortar (or is it a pestle?) bit? The bowl like
> > part is the mortar and the masher part is the pestle.

> Thanks for both those posts. I have a great memory, no bragging,
> it's true. But for some reason even though I have been told before
> on several occasions which is the mortar and which is the pestle I
> for some reason never get it planted in my brain. Probably because I
> don't use it much. I used to have a good wooden one with a nice
> thick rounded pestle. The one I have now is some kind of marble with
> a pestle that is too thin. But it's usable. The hummus turned out
> great. I am with you and your family - I am no vegetarian but eat
> lots of veggies and keep the meat to 3 ounces typically. Now and
> then a good 6 to 8 ounce steak is nice, but it's not a regular thing
> with me. I'm a soup and stew type guy, also cold dishes slung
> together such as the fruit plate I mentioned with the hummus. I got
> into the 6 day prep routine over the years when I drove a cab and
> didn't have enough time to cook every day. Now that I am 'retired'
> and collecting $735 a month SSI I still use that same system. I live
> on less than some people spend in a week, but I feel wealthy because
> I don't have to work. I also said, "No matter how much money you
> make, if you HAVE to work you're not rich." Thanks for your posts.
>
> TJ

Hi TJ, and no problem! I have dyslexia so spelling tends to be my
issue. Every now and again you will see someone here go bonkers about
it. Like is it pestel or pestle? I dunno! Anyways, the different
thicknesses to the matching bowl depend on what you are making. All
work, but some are more efficient for some things. In places I have
lived where they were common kitchen things, they tended to have 3
mortars of variable sizes and up to 6 pestles (sp?), also of variable
sizes. It was depending on what they needed to crush/mash as to what
was used.

On living within your means, I am with you. Some here try to pretend
upscale but aren't and some make more $$ but cook simply and we have
one angel who caretook of her mom and inherted the house that turns out
is in an HOA. She has to either eat at the clubhouse or pay them some
annual fee if she doesn't eat there to the annual required level (crazy
I know but we have fun seeing the menus when she posts them).

Anyways, we have some commonality in cookery between us!
Carol

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Friday, November 24, 2017 at 9:22:33 PM UTC-5, wrote:
> On Thursday, November 23, 2017 at 9:57:12 PM UTC-5, cshenk wrote:
>
> > On the gear, the: mortar (or is it a pestle?) bit? The bowl like part
> > is the mortar and the masher part is the pestle.

> Thanks for both those posts. I have a great memory, no bragging, it's true. But for some reason even though I have been told before on several occasions which is the mortar and which is the pestle I for some reason never get it planted in my brain.

The pestle is the one shaped like a penis.

Cindy Hamilton

Posted to rec.food.cooking

Cindy Hamilton wrote:
>jazee wrote:
>>cshenk wrote:
>>
>> > On the gear, the: mortar (or is it a pestle?) bit? The bowl like part
>> > is the mortar and the masher part is the pestle.

>> Thanks for both those posts. I have a great memory, no bragging, it's true.
>> But for some reason even though I have been told before on several occasions
>> which is the mortar and which is the pestle I for some reason never get it
>> planted in my brain.

>The pestle is the one shaped like a penis.
>
>Cindy Hamilton

The mortar is the one shaped like a bra cup.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Saturday, November 25, 2017 at 11:27:38 AM UTC-5, Sheldon wrote:
> Cindy Hamilton wrote:
> >jazee wrote:

> >> Thanks for both those posts. I have a great memory, no bragging, it's true.
> >> But for some reason even though I have been told before on several occasions
> >> which is the mortar and which is the pestle I for some reason never get it
> >> planted in my brain.

> >The pestle is the one shaped like a penis.
> >
> >Cindy Hamilton

> The mortar is the one shaped like a bra cup.

But that doesn't make a very good mnemonic.

Cindy Hamilton
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Sat, 25 Nov 2017 08:52:05 -0800 (PST), Cindy Hamilton
> wrote:

>On Saturday, November 25, 2017 at 11:27:38 AM UTC-5, Sheldon wrote:
>> Cindy Hamilton wrote:

>> >The pestle is the one shaped like a penis.
>> >
>> >Cindy Hamilton

>> The mortar is the one shaped like a bra cup.

>But that doesn't make a very good mnemonic.

For ME it does. ( ^ )
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On 2017-11-25 11:52 AM, Cindy Hamilton wrote:
> On Saturday, November 25, 2017 at 11:27:38 AM UTC-5, Sheldon wrote:
>> Cindy Hamilton wrote:

>>> The pestle is the one shaped like a penis.
>>>
>>> Cindy Hamilton

>> The mortar is the one shaped like a bra cup.

> But that doesn't make a very good mnemonic.

I had a physics teacher with a hair lip and he had a good mnemonic for
concave and convex. Convex like a cave and Convex like a Volkswagon,
and with his hair lip the vex and volks sounded the same.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Friday, November 24, 2017 at 11:08:24 PM UTC-5, cshenk wrote:
> wrote in rec.food.cooking:
>
> > On Thursday, November 23, 2017 at 9:57:12 PM UTC-5, cshenk wrote:
> >
> > > On the gear, the: mortar (or is it a pestle?) bit? The bowl like
> > > part is the mortar and the masher part is the pestle.

> > Thanks for both those posts. I have a great memory, no bragging,
> > it's true. But for some reason even though I have been told before
> > on several occasions which is the mortar and which is the pestle I
> > for some reason never get it planted in my brain. Probably because I
> > don't use it much. I used to have a good wooden one with a nice
> > thick rounded pestle. The one I have now is some kind of marble with
> > a pestle that is too thin. But it's usable. The hummus turned out
> > great. I am with you and your family - I am no vegetarian but eat
> > lots of veggies and keep the meat to 3 ounces typically. Now and
> > then a good 6 to 8 ounce steak is nice, but it's not a regular thing
> > with me. I'm a soup and stew type guy, also cold dishes slung
> > together such as the fruit plate I mentioned with the hummus. I got
> > into the 6 day prep routine over the years when I drove a cab and
> > didn't have enough time to cook every day. Now that I am 'retired'
> > and collecting $735 a month SSI I still use that same system. I live
> > on less than some people spend in a week, but I feel wealthy because
> > I don't have to work. I also said, "No matter how much money you
> > make, if you HAVE to work you're not rich." Thanks for your posts.
> >
> > TJ

> Hi TJ, and no problem! I have dyslexia so spelling tends to be my
> issue. Every now and again you will see someone here go bonkers about
> it. Like is it pestel or pestle? I dunno! Anyways, the different
> thicknesses to the matching bowl depend on what you are making. All
> work, but some are more efficient for some things. In places I have
> lived where they were common kitchen things, they tended to have 3
> mortars of variable sizes and up to 6 pestles (sp?), also of variable
> sizes. It was depending on what they needed to crush/mash as to what
> was used.
>
> On living within your means, I am with you. Some here try to pretend
> upscale but aren't and some make more $$ but cook simply and we have
> one angel who caretook of her mom and inherted the house that turns out
> is in an HOA. She has to either eat at the clubhouse or pay them some
> annual fee if she doesn't eat there to the annual required level (crazy
> I know but we have fun seeing the menus when she posts them).
>
> Anyways, we have some commonality in cookery between us!
> Carol

Glad to hear I've got company. It's not just a money issue, it's availability. Seems some things are harder to find these days. The old wooden mortar and pestle I had (can't they just give it one name?) - I got it an an Arab shop about 25 miles from here back when my brother who had a car lived here. I have not had a car in 40 years. One time in L.A. I had a guy I drove cab for offer me a car for free but I turned it down because I knew I worked only for the weekend and would not have enough money to care for it. A car is another mouth to feed. But not having one keeps me walking, and that's good. Some things have passed me by. Like a radio/cd player I had for 22 years that finally went down 6 months ago. "No big deal", I thought, "they are cheap, I'll just buy me another one." Well, not so easy. Walmart didn't have a single one, neither did Best Buy. I hate shopping. Even worse I dread it. I saw some rad/cd players on the web but am not pleased with the idea of buying unfamiliar products without at least touching them. I can make do with the mortar and pestle I have. The hummus making is a chore but I'm doing it nearly every week so I've got it down to a routine. Thanks for your comments.

TJ
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Saturday, November 25, 2017 at 6:45:35 AM UTC-5, Cindy Hamilton wrote:

> The pestle is the one shaped like a penis.
>
> Cindy Hamilton

Many things are shaped like penises. Women like to say that men are egotists, proved by the fact that many tall buildings look like penises. So, I suppose if women were in charge of constructing buildings, we'd all be living in big dark smelly caves. Hah hah hah...............you sicko you.

TJ
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Saturday, November 25, 2017 at 10:39:17 AM UTC-5, Gary wrote:
> l not -l wrote:
> >
> > On 24-Nov-2017, wrote:

> > > Words, words, words. Ok, I meant simmer. Of course I'm not
> > > going to boil them to death. Sorry for using the wrong word.
> > > Do I get a pardon or will I be taken out and shot at dawn?
> > >
> > > TJ

> > Flogging seems an adequate punishment.

> I'd shoot him at dawn. ;-D

Reminds me of a joke. Three European slave traders are captured by an African tribe. The Chief tells them they have been found guilty and may choose as punishment either Death or Ogee. The first guy chooses Ogee. "I don't want to die", he says.

The two awaiting their turn to decide their fates are up all night listening to the first guy's scream as the entire tribe takes turns screwing the first guy up the ass till the break of dawn.

The second guy is then offered the same decision as the first - "Death or Ogee."

"Oh God, that sounded awful last night", he says, "but I don't want to die." He chooses Ogee and the night is filled with his screams, going on even longer than the first guy's agony.

The following day the Chief approaches the sole remaining slave trader and asks the same question: "Death or Ogee?" As a result of listening to two nights of endless screaming he decides to go with death.

"I choose death", he tells the Chief.

"Very well", says the Chief - "Death - by 'Ogee'............!"

Your flogging vs execution comment reminded me of that joke.

TJ
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Saturday, November 25, 2017 at 11:27:38 AM UTC-5, Sheldon wrote:
> Cindy Hamilton wrote:
> >jazee wrote:

> >> Thanks for both those posts. I have a great memory, no bragging, it's true.
> >> But for some reason even though I have been told before on several occasions
> >> which is the mortar and which is the pestle I for some reason never get it
> >> planted in my brain.

> >The pestle is the one shaped like a penis.
> >
> >Cindy Hamilton

> The mortar is the one shaped like a bra cup.

You are both sexually depraved, possibly child predators, as I have never seen a penis or bra as small as the mortar and pestle I own. You sickos, you!