Posted to rec.food.cooking
[email protected][_2_] itsjoannotjoann@webtv.net[_2_] is offline

Default Boiling or simmering raw sausage links

On Wednesday, November 22, 2017 at 4:54:57 PM UTC-6, wrote:

> I will poke holes in the sausage. I want the casings on. But my question is, at a low simmer, how long should I cook the sausage?

At a low simmer I would cook them about 30 minutes.

> Also, when the mix is made and put in the fridge to be brought out each day I put it in a bowl and add some rice in the middle, on top, and put a paper towel over it and microwave it for 3 minutes or so. So I don't think I'll have to cook the sausage to death. So, in your opinion, what is a safe time for cooking the raw sausage? Every day when the bean and veggie mix is brought out I add however much sausage I want to the individual plate, I don't put it in all at once. I gauge what I eat. My uncle used to call me "the measuring man."

Usually, when I heat up something along that line I will do also heat it
up for about 3 minutes or so but at a reduced power. Maybe 60% power.

> Thanks for your response and any to come after this. Yes, I think I'll be using Italian sweet sausage or regular pork, uncooked of course, and they will be thick juicy ones, not the small links.
>
> TJ

If you feel like it, after those sausages have simmered until done,
throw them in a hot skillet for just a few minutes for a bit of
browning. Will improve the taste and crisp up the skin.