Posted to rec.food.cooking
[email protected] jazeev1234@gmail.com is offline

Default Boiling or simmering raw sausage links

On Wednesday, November 22, 2017 at 7:29:04 PM UTC-5, wrote:

> At a low simmer I would cook them about 30 minutes.

> Usually, when I heat up something along that line I will do also heat it
> up for about 3 minutes or so but at a reduced power. Maybe 60% power.

> If you feel like it, after those sausages have simmered until done,
> throw them in a hot skillet for just a few minutes for a bit of
> browning. Will improve the taste and crisp up the skin.

Thanks, I'm going to make the beans and sausage early next week. I'm still eating the 6 day spread I made Wednesday. I won't go into it, but it's pretty good.

Now, as for browning the sausage, I won't argue it might taste better that way, but I'll be using it in the beans (either great northern or kidney, always done to near mush), so I'll probably pass on the browning because I'm a lazy guy and I'll have less pan to wash. Appreciate the advice though.

Now speaking of beans, I have a very simple recipe my Arab grandparents used to make. It is not found in most Arab cook books because it came from Arabs who landed in Brazil back in the 20s or so. It's so simple it's incredible. My grandmother used clarified butter for almost all cooking. I use the bottled type from Trader Joe's. Regular butter is ok too. Below is the recipe, and the bean to meat ratio can stay regardless of the amount you make.

5 ingredients only:

Kidney beans (the light red ones)
Beef roast
Butter
Garlic
Dried Mint

Also rice, which I don't include as an actual ingredient. Instructions below:

Put 1 pound light kidney beans in a big pot with a 1 pound roast - chuck or sirloin is good. My grandmother used lamb. Too hard to find, so I go with beef.

Cover with 6 cups of water and bring to a boil. Lower and cover and simmer for 2 to 3 hours, checking on it now and then. My grandmother let the meat sit in the beans all the way till it was breaking apart, which was great - but I take the meat out at about the 2 hour mark because I want to add it daily to the finished product.

This is so easy and simple it's incredible. While the beans are cooking, take a bunch of raw garlic and mince it well. The amount is up to you. When the beans are done, put them on the back burner and get out a skillet. In the skillet put 4 tablespoons of butter and melt it down. Add the garlic and stir for about 5 minutes. Keep your eyes on it so it does not brown. It will ruin the mix.

When the garlic and butter mix is done, add it to the beans along with a good palm-ful of dried mint. Stir the mint and butter and garlic mix into the beans and that's it. Put on rice and eat. Since I do the prep thing I don't make the rice every day or eat it traditional style with the beans over the rice. I cut up some meat each day along with maybe some spinach or parsley, which is not necessary but adds nutrition and does not destroy the flavor. I put the beans, spinach, and meat, in a bowl and place a handful of cooked rice in the center. I cover the bowl and micro for 3 minutes. And that's it. One day for cooking, 7 meals overall with little or no work.

Oh, one more thing, I agree with you on the micro power, but my unit is cheap and not so powerful. So when it comes to using the micro it's up to whoever owns it and knows it. Thanks for your post.

Now,