Posted to rec.food.cooking

Default Serving refried beans (without tortillas)

Looking for a tasty way to serve refried beans. Tried them yesterday simply
with magic mushroom powder. Quite good! Thank you, Koko!

I'm sure there are many many other ways. Suggestions? Sorry, no tortillas.

TIA

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On 4/18/2017 1:11 PM, KenK wrote:
> Looking for a tasty way to serve refried beans. Tried them yesterday simply
> with magic mushroom powder. Quite good! Thank you, Koko!
>
> I'm sure there are many many other ways. Suggestions? Sorry, no tortillas.
>
> TIA

Good with shredded cheddar cheese and some spicy salsa or hot sauce.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Tuesday, April 18, 2017 at 1:07:54 PM UTC-5, Travis McGee wrote:

> Good with shredded cheddar cheese and some spicy salsa or hot sauce.

I was going to recommend the shredded cheese as well.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

KenK wrote:

>Looking for a tasty way to serve refried beans. Tried them yesterday simply
>with magic mushroom powder. Quite good! Thank you, Koko!
>
>I'm sure there are many many other ways. Suggestions? Sorry, no tortillas.

Don't need tortillas, motza works too! LOL

I often prepare refried beans, I use canned black beans, mashed in the
pan used for fried pork chops... pork chops with refried beans is a
very good combo, really needs no kind of carbo however cervesa is
mandatory.
I don't like canned refried beans, disgusting.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

I have been known to smother them with grated cheese so it melts.

N.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

KenK wrote in rec.food.cooking:

> Looking for a tasty way to serve refried beans. Tried them yesterday
> simply with magic mushroom powder. Quite good! Thank you, Koko!
>
> I'm sure there are many many other ways. Suggestions? Sorry, no
> tortillas.
>
> TIA

Hi KenK, is the no tortillas because you do not have any, or because
you do not eat bread (low carb desires).

If it's just that you do not have any handy, here's an idea you may
like. I'm keeping it simple. No making your own bread (grin).

Can of biscuits or you can use can of cresent rolls. Peel part of the
paper back where it says then whack the counter edge with it and it
pops open.

Flatten these out with your hands a bit then put a spoon of refried
beans in there. Top with a little seasoning if you like. I like a
little chile powder. I then add a little bit of chopped up onion,
maybe a 1/2 spoon level minced up a bit for each. Add another dough
layer on top and pinch the edges closed. Bake at the tempurature on
the can but it will need a little longer time because it's thicker.
When the tops are nicely browned, they are ready.

Recommend a glass baking dish or foil line whatever you bake them on as
sometimes the side pinches get loose and cleanup is a lot easier. Put
any you can't eat then in plastic baggies (or what you have) and they
freeze well and can be removed frozen from the bag then microwaved for
a fast simple breakfast.

Another one we like is a crazy old depression era recipe but I don't
care. We like it and that is what counts! Updated to today's grocery
store, we will take a can (or same amount of drained beans from the
crockpot made from dry) then add 2 chopped up hot dogs. These do not
have to be fancy types. We then add some jarred salsa (Depression era
recipe used home canned tomatoes and largely the same stuff as salsa).
I recommend adding 1/4 a small onion chopped fairly well to this but
you may find 1/8 cup works for you or find the salsa covered it to your
needs. Pace Picante Medium suits us but if you do not like 'spicy' go
mild Pace Picante or similar. The recipe is for a whole standard can
but you can work it with leftover partial amounts this way: 1 serving
your size, add maybe as much as 1/2 a chopped hot dog then add maybe a
spoon of chopped onion and 1-2 spoons salsa.

That help? I have never read all messages here but I gather you lost
your wife (so sorry) and are looking for basics for now as you had not
had to cook every day before. If that is wrong, please ignore me as
there was no insult intended if I got too basic.

I wish you well.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On 2017-04-18, KenK > wrote:

> Looking for a tasty way to serve refried beans.

I eat canned Jaunita brand refried beans in yer basic huevos
rancheros breakfast.

Nuke a some beans, then add salsa and 1-2 over-easy eggs. Some sour
cream couldn't hurt. Nuke as necessary, to maintain heat. I like
mine with flour tortillas, but not required. I usually have a beer
(cerveza), besides.

nb
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Tuesday, April 18, 2017 at 1:11:59 PM UTC-4, KenK wrote:
> Looking for a tasty way to serve refried beans. Tried them yesterday simply
> with magic mushroom powder. Quite good! Thank you, Koko!
>
> I'm sure there are many many other ways. Suggestions? Sorry, no tortillas.

Looks like you're going to have to remind people every time what you
can't eat. Wheat and corn in this context, isn't it? And dairy?

Looks like good old refries on a plate topped with chiles or salsa
or something. I can't advise because I don't eat refries.

Cindy Hamilton
Posted to rec.food.cooking

Cindy Hamilton > wrote in
:

> On Tuesday, April 18, 2017 at 1:11:59 PM UTC-4, KenK wrote:
>> Looking for a tasty way to serve refried beans. Tried them yesterday
>> simply with magic mushroom powder. Quite good! Thank you, Koko!
>>
>> I'm sure there are many many other ways. Suggestions? Sorry, no
>> tortillas.

> Looks like you're going to have to remind people every time what you
> can't eat. Wheat and corn in this context, isn't it? And dairy?

Yep. And more. Quit doing that, got too much static here about it.

> Looks like good old refries on a plate topped with chiles or salsa
> or something. I can't advise because I don't eat refries.

I like a high fiber meal once a day. Refried beans are convenient.

> Cindy Hamilton

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Wednesday, April 19, 2017 at 1:04:15 PM UTC-4, KenK wrote:
> Cindy Hamilton > wrote in
> :
>
> > On Tuesday, April 18, 2017 at 1:11:59 PM UTC-4, KenK wrote:
> >> Looking for a tasty way to serve refried beans. Tried them yesterday
> >> simply with magic mushroom powder. Quite good! Thank you, Koko!
> >>
> >> I'm sure there are many many other ways. Suggestions? Sorry, no
> >> tortillas.

> > Looks like you're going to have to remind people every time what you
> > can't eat. Wheat and corn in this context, isn't it? And dairy?

> Yep. And more. Quit doing that, got too much static here about it.

That's a damned if you do, damned if you don't. Do, and people
think you're a whiner. Don't, and you get a bunch of suggestions
that you can't use. Kudos to you for not complaining about the
latter.

> > Looks like good old refries on a plate topped with chiles or salsa
> > or something. I can't advise because I don't eat refries.

> I like a high fiber meal once a day. Refried beans are convenient.

That they are. I usually have lentil soup for lunch, but today
I had falafel. The goodness of the garbanzo beans was offset
by the badness of the deep-frying. Oh, well. I can't be
perfect all the time (or any time, really).

Cindy
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Tuesday, April 18, 2017 at 7:11:59 AM UTC-10, KenK wrote:
> Looking for a tasty way to serve refried beans. Tried them yesterday simply
> with magic mushroom powder. Quite good! Thank you, Koko!
>
> I'm sure there are many many other ways. Suggestions? Sorry, no tortillas.
>
> TIA
>

> --
> I love a good meal! That's why I don't cook.

Beans are a good, cheap, food. What I don't get is the appeal of mashing beans and mixing grease into the goop. What's wrong with whole, non-greased beans? OTOH, if you grew up on refried beans, then it would be perfectly normal.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Wed, 19 Apr 2017 10:56:06 -0700 (PDT), dsi1 >
wrote:

>On Tuesday, April 18, 2017 at 7:11:59 AM UTC-10, KenK wrote:
>> Looking for a tasty way to serve refried beans. Tried them yesterday simply
>> with magic mushroom powder. Quite good! Thank you, Koko!
>>
>> I'm sure there are many many other ways. Suggestions? Sorry, no tortillas.
>>
>> TIA
>>

>> --
>> I love a good meal! That's why I don't cook.

>Beans are a good, cheap, food. What I don't get is the appeal of mashing beans and mixing grease into the goop. What's wrong with whole, non-greased beans? OTOH, if you grew up on refried beans, then it would be perfectly normal.

consider the cooked beans re-heated (refried) with bacon grease. It's
flavor added.
Many people eat the beans without added fat.
Janet US
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Wednesday, April 19, 2017 at 9:22:46 AM UTC-10, U.S. Janet B. wrote:
> On Wed, 19 Apr 2017 10:56:06 -0700 (PDT), dsi1 <dsi1yahoo.com>
> wrote:
>
> >On Tuesday, April 18, 2017 at 7:11:59 AM UTC-10, KenK wrote:
> >> Looking for a tasty way to serve refried beans. Tried them yesterday simply
> >> with magic mushroom powder. Quite good! Thank you, Koko!
> >>
> >> I'm sure there are many many other ways. Suggestions? Sorry, no tortillas.
> >>
> >> TIA
> >>

> >> --
> >> I love a good meal! That's why I don't cook.

> >Beans are a good, cheap, food. What I don't get is the appeal of mashing beans and mixing grease into the goop. What's wrong with whole, non-greased beans? OTOH, if you grew up on refried beans, then it would be perfectly normal.

> consider the cooked beans re-heated (refried) with bacon grease. It's
> flavor added.
> Many people eat the beans without added fat.
> Janet US

Beans with bacon grease doesn't sound bad - you can even toss in some bacon. Smashing the beans into a pasty goo however, seems ill-advised though.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On 2017-04-19 5:34 PM, dsi1 wrote:

> Beans with bacon grease doesn't sound bad - you can even toss in some
> bacon. Smashing the beans into a pasty goo however, seems ill-advised
> though.

My best baked beam recipe has bacon in it. They are delicious.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

dsi1 wrote:
>KenK wrote:
>>
>> Looking for a tasty way to serve refried beans. Tried them yesterday simply
>> with magic mushroom powder. Quite good! Thank you, Koko!
>> I'm sure there are many many other ways. Suggestions? Sorry, no tortillas.
>> I love a good meal! That's why I don't cook.

>Beans are a good, cheap, food. What I don't get is the appeal of mashing beans and mixing grease into the goop.

When you prepare refried beans yourself you control the fat content.
Obviously you don't and can't cook, not anything, not anything more
complex than a bowl of Flaky Wakies with with a poi side, and refried
beans with a can opener.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Wednesday, April 19, 2017 at 11:44:13 AM UTC-10, Dave Smith wrote:
> On 2017-04-19 5:34 PM, dsi1 wrote:
>
> > Beans with bacon grease doesn't sound bad - you can even toss in some
> > bacon. Smashing the beans into a pasty goo however, seems ill-advised
> > though.
> >

> My best baked beam recipe has bacon in it. They are delicious.

I love baked beans and you're right - they are delicious.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Wednesday, April 19, 2017 at 11:46:42 AM UTC-10, Sheldon wrote:

> When you prepare refried beans yourself you control the fat content.
> Obviously you don't and can't cook, not anything, not anything more
> complex than a bowl of Flaky Wakies with with a poi side, and refried
> beans with a can opener.

Hey pal, I thought we had an agreement that you were not going to post while drunk. Get off the bottle now!

Of course I know how to make refried beans, it ain't rocket science. The question is why would I want to? Most haoles and Hawaiians alike wouldn't treat beans in this manner. I have much respect for the people of Mexico but my question is a reasonable and earnest one - what's the appeal of smashed, mushy, beans?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fJVAiSMW6L0
Posted to rec.food.cooking

dsi1 NO NAME wrote:
>Penmart wrote:
>>
>> When you prepare refried beans yourself you control the fat content.
>> Obviously you don't and can't cook, not anything, not anything more
>> complex than a bowl of Flaky Wakies with with a poi side, and refried
>> beans with a can opener.

>Hey pal, I thought we had an agreement that you were not going to post while drunk. Get off the bottle now!

I don't have a drinking problem but very obviously you do which is why
you are so focused on boozing. I probably drink far less than most, I
never drank more than two at a restaurant (I'm too frugal), and at
home I typically have one drink with dinner and occasionally another
after dinner but not usually, I never drink during the day before
dinner. I'm not a party animal, in fact I haven't attended a party in
some twenty five years. I don't like wine, not even Champagne on New
Years Eve but we share some Dom P. for tradition but I really don't
like it. A case of brewski lasts me a year or more, most for
cooking... it's rare I drink any, maybe a can after a hard hot day of
mowing and gardening. Evenings I drink plain water from the sippy
bottle on my night stand, same as I do during the day from another
sippy bottle at my PC, and yet another one in my tractore when working
all day. It's always those who think others are big boozers who are
the drunks, YOU!
My only addiction is pretty female breasts, but I don't think I needed
to announce that here... anyone here who hasn't figured that out has a
big boozing problem, YOU! I know with absolute certainty who here
cooks and who doesn't, you don't cook. Anyone can fake that they cook
because everyone eats, it's that simple... but for people like me who
actually cook every day it a no brainer to recognize the fakes, YOU!
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Wednesday, April 19, 2017 at 3:53:24 PM UTC-10, Sheldon wrote:
> dsi1 NO NAME wrote:
> >Penmart wrote:
> >>
> >> When you prepare refried beans yourself you control the fat content.
> >> Obviously you don't and can't cook, not anything, not anything more
> >> complex than a bowl of Flaky Wakies with with a poi side, and refried
> >> beans with a can opener.

> >Hey pal, I thought we had an agreement that you were not going to post while drunk. Get off the bottle now!

> I don't have a drinking problem but very obviously you do which is why
> you are so focused on boozing. I probably drink far less than most, I
> never drank more than two at a restaurant (I'm too frugal), and at
> home I typically have one drink with dinner and occasionally another
> after dinner but not usually, I never drink during the day before
> dinner. I'm not a party animal, in fact I haven't attended a party in
> some twenty five years. I don't like wine, not even Champagne on New
> Years Eve but we share some Dom P. for tradition but I really don't
> like it. A case of brewski lasts me a year or more, most for
> cooking... it's rare I drink any, maybe a can after a hard hot day of
> mowing and gardening. Evenings I drink plain water from the sippy
> bottle on my night stand, same as I do during the day from another
> sippy bottle at my PC, and yet another one in my tractore when working
> all day. It's always those who think others are big boozers who are
> the drunks, YOU!
> My only addiction is pretty female breasts, but I don't think I needed
> to announce that here... anyone here who hasn't figured that out has a
> big boozing problem, YOU! I know with absolute certainty who here
> cooks and who doesn't, you don't cook. Anyone can fake that they cook
> because everyone eats, it's that simple... but for people like me who
> actually cook every day it a no brainer to recognize the fakes, YOU!

I don't know crap about Mexican cooking. If you believe that not understanding the rationale for mashed beans means I don't cook then you're either drunk or an idiot. I believe it's a combination of both. You're acting like an authority on refried beans but you cannot answer my simple, earnest, question. You obviously have never made this dish. This tells me that you're a liar and a poseur.

No matter, I'm sufficiently interested in this question and will just go forth and make this simple dish. I'm going to make this Mexican style - with a shitload of oil. Otherwise, what's the point?

Posted to rec.food.cooking

"KenK" > wrote in message
> Looking for a tasty way to serve refried beans. Tried them yesterday
> simply
> with magic mushroom powder. Quite good! Thank you, Koko!
>
> I'm sure there are many many other ways. Suggestions? Sorry, no tortillas.
>
> TIA

You can have them with rice for a complete protein. Or use whatever raw
veggies you can have to dip into the beans. I like chunks of celery and bell
pepper.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

> wrote in message
> KenK wrote:
>>
>>Looking for a tasty way to serve refried beans. Tried them yesterday
>>simply
>>with magic mushroom powder. Quite good! Thank you, Koko!
>>
>>I'm sure there are many many other ways. Suggestions? Sorry, no tortillas.

> Don't need tortillas, motza works too! LOL
>
> I often prepare refried beans, I use canned black beans, mashed in the
> pan used for fried pork chops... pork chops with refried beans is a
> very good combo, really needs no kind of carbo however cervesa is
> mandatory.
> I don't like canned refried beans, disgusting.

I think most of the canned are quite good but a few are not.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

"dsi1" > wrote in message
> On Tuesday, April 18, 2017 at 7:11:59 AM UTC-10, KenK wrote:
>> Looking for a tasty way to serve refried beans. Tried them yesterday
>> simply
>> with magic mushroom powder. Quite good! Thank you, Koko!
>>
>> I'm sure there are many many other ways. Suggestions? Sorry, no
>> tortillas.
>>
>> TIA
>>

>> --
>> I love a good meal! That's why I don't cook.

> Beans are a good, cheap, food. What I don't get is the appeal of mashing
> beans and mixing grease into the goop. What's wrong with whole,
> non-greased beans? OTOH, if you grew up on refried beans, then it would be
> perfectly normal.

They can be made fat free. The beans aren't really fried. When I make them,
I just cook the beans and mash them. I do usually add a little bit of olive
oil to them. Why? Given my 'druthers, my diet is low to no fat and that's
not good. So I try to add a little whenever I can. I also like to add some
chopped onion and bell pepper to help cut the carbs a little bit.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

"U.S. Janet B." > wrote in message
> On Wed, 19 Apr 2017 10:56:06 -0700 (PDT), dsi1 >
> wrote:
>
>>On Tuesday, April 18, 2017 at 7:11:59 AM UTC-10, KenK wrote:
>>> Looking for a tasty way to serve refried beans. Tried them yesterday
>>> simply
>>> with magic mushroom powder. Quite good! Thank you, Koko!
>>>
>>> I'm sure there are many many other ways. Suggestions? Sorry, no
>>> tortillas.
>>>
>>> TIA
>>>

>>> --
>>> I love a good meal! That's why I don't cook.

>>Beans are a good, cheap, food. What I don't get is the appeal of mashing
>>beans and mixing grease into the goop. What's wrong with whole,
>>non-greased beans? OTOH, if you grew up on refried beans, then it would be
>>perfectly normal.

> consider the cooked beans re-heated (refried) with bacon grease. It's
> flavor added.
> Many people eat the beans without added fat.
> Janet US

According to the owner of a Mexican restaurant, beans in Mexico rarely have
added fat. He said pretty much all sources of fat are rather expensive there
so it is generally only used for special occasions.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

"dsi1" > wrote in message
> On Wednesday, April 19, 2017 at 9:22:46 AM UTC-10, U.S. Janet B. wrote:
>> On Wed, 19 Apr 2017 10:56:06 -0700 (PDT), dsi1 <dsi1yahoo.com>
>> wrote:

>> >Beans are a good, cheap, food. What I don't get is the appeal of mashing
>> >beans and mixing grease into the goop. What's wrong with whole,
>> >non-greased beans? OTOH, if you grew up on refried beans, then it would
>> >be perfectly normal.

>> consider the cooked beans re-heated (refried) with bacon grease. It's
>> flavor added.
>> Many people eat the beans without added fat.
>> Janet US

> Beans with bacon grease doesn't sound bad - you can even toss in some
> bacon. Smashing the beans into a pasty goo however, seems ill-advised
> though.

Try it some time. You can even use a can of pintos. Reserve the liquid. Mash
the beans with a potato masher. Add a bit of the liquid if you find them to
be too thick.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

"Dave Smith" > wrote in message
> On 2017-04-19 5:34 PM, dsi1 wrote:
>
>> Beans with bacon grease doesn't sound bad - you can even toss in some
>> bacon. Smashing the beans into a pasty goo however, seems ill-advised
>> though.
>>

> My best baked beam recipe has bacon in it. They are delicious.

I use onions and bacon in my baked beans. But not in my pinto beans. I
didn't grow up eating bacon grease. I have ruined a few dishes by taking the
recommendation of adding a bit of the stuff. Ick. No.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

"dsi1" > wrote in message
On Wednesday, April 19, 2017 at 11:46:42 AM UTC-10, Sheldon wrote:

> When you prepare refried beans yourself you control the fat content.
> Obviously you don't and can't cook, not anything, not anything more
> complex than a bowl of Flaky Wakies with with a poi side, and refried
> beans with a can opener.

Hey pal, I thought we had an agreement that you were not going to post while
drunk. Get off the bottle now!

Of course I know how to make refried beans, it ain't rocket science. The
question is why would I want to? Most haoles and Hawaiians alike wouldn't
treat beans in this manner. I have much respect for the people of Mexico but
my question is a reasonable and earnest one - what's the appeal of smashed,
mushy, beans?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fJVAiSMW6L0

---

To me, they seem rather decadent. They are probably my favorite food, ever.
Although I love pretty much all beans, except for most BBQ or those hideous
Limas in tomato sauce, refried have always been my favorite.

Last night, I made tostada casserole. At least that was the name it was
given. Rather similar to the Taco pizza that I used to make. Crust/base was
Bisquick although similar recipes used canned biscuits pressed together.
Little sprinkle of corn meal above and below the dough, and I used a little
olive oil to grease the large, rectangular casserole with. Layer of refried
beans (I used double the amount called for), layer of cooked ground beef
with taco seasoning. Bake time and temp. was listed at 18-20 min. at 400
degrees. Nope. Still raw dough in the middle. I cranked it up to 450 for
another 10 minutes. Perfect. Add a layer of cheese and return to oven until
melted.

Cut in squares and top with lettuce, tomato, onion, salsa, avocado or
guacamole, sour cream, tortilla chips, black olives, or whatever you want.
Leftovers are good cold. It's very filling. For me, best to take less of the
casserole and add more of the raw veggie stuff on top. I imagine you could
also use tortillas as the base, but since they are already cooked, you'd
just need to heat it through.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

"dsi1" > wrote in message
On Wednesday, April 19, 2017 at 3:53:24 PM UTC-10, Sheldon wrote:
> dsi1 NO NAME wrote:
> >Penmart wrote:
> >>
> >> When you prepare refried beans yourself you control the fat content.
> >> Obviously you don't and can't cook, not anything, not anything more
> >> complex than a bowl of Flaky Wakies with with a poi side, and refried
> >> beans with a can opener.

> >Hey pal, I thought we had an agreement that you were not going to post
> >while drunk. Get off the bottle now!

> I don't have a drinking problem but very obviously you do which is why
> you are so focused on boozing. I probably drink far less than most, I
> never drank more than two at a restaurant (I'm too frugal), and at
> home I typically have one drink with dinner and occasionally another
> after dinner but not usually, I never drink during the day before
> dinner. I'm not a party animal, in fact I haven't attended a party in
> some twenty five years. I don't like wine, not even Champagne on New
> Years Eve but we share some Dom P. for tradition but I really don't
> like it. A case of brewski lasts me a year or more, most for
> cooking... it's rare I drink any, maybe a can after a hard hot day of
> mowing and gardening. Evenings I drink plain water from the sippy
> bottle on my night stand, same as I do during the day from another
> sippy bottle at my PC, and yet another one in my tractore when working
> all day. It's always those who think others are big boozers who are
> the drunks, YOU!
> My only addiction is pretty female breasts, but I don't think I needed
> to announce that here... anyone here who hasn't figured that out has a
> big boozing problem, YOU! I know with absolute certainty who here
> cooks and who doesn't, you don't cook. Anyone can fake that they cook
> because everyone eats, it's that simple... but for people like me who
> actually cook every day it a no brainer to recognize the fakes, YOU!

I don't know crap about Mexican cooking. If you believe that not
understanding the rationale for mashed beans means I don't cook then you're
either drunk or an idiot. I believe it's a combination of both. You're
acting like an authority on refried beans but you cannot answer my simple,
earnest, question. You obviously have never made this dish. This tells me
that you're a liar and a poseur.

No matter, I'm sufficiently interested in this question and will just go
forth and make this simple dish. I'm going to make this Mexican style - with
a shitload of oil. Otherwise, what's the point?

---
I think it was more a way to use leftover beans and make them seem
different. These days and in this country, this is usually not much of an
issue but I should imagine in the old days, generating the heat needed to
cook the beans could be costly, so they probably cooked a lot at once.

It's also a lot easier to scoop up some mashed beans in a tortilla than it
is whole beans. Mashed in a tortilla can be eaten out of hand, so they are
portable. Try that with whole beans and you'll be wearing them.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Wednesday, April 19, 2017 at 8:23:36 PM UTC-10, Julie Bove wrote:
> "dsi1" <dsi100ahoo.com> wrote in message
> >
> > Beans are a good, cheap, food. What I don't get is the appeal of mashing
> > beans and mixing grease into the goop. What's wrong with whole,
> > non-greased beans? OTOH, if you grew up on refried beans, then it would be
> > perfectly normal.

> They can be made fat free. The beans aren't really fried. When I make them,
> I just cook the beans and mash them. I do usually add a little bit of olive
> oil to them. Why? Given my 'druthers, my diet is low to no fat and that's
> not good. So I try to add a little whenever I can. I also like to add some
> chopped onion and bell pepper to help cut the carbs a little bit.

It seems opinions vary greatly on the matter of oil. Some people don't even fry the bean and will mix in a good amount of oil into the bean pot. I'm a fan of using lots of oil so you know where I'm going to go.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Wednesday, April 19, 2017 at 8:27:10 PM UTC-10, Julie Bove wrote:

> Try it some time. You can even use a can of pintos. Reserve the liquid. Mash
> the beans with a potato masher. Add a bit of the liquid if you find them to
> be too thick.

That's probably a good idea - thanks.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Wednesday, April 19, 2017 at 8:44:49 PM UTC-10, Julie Bove wrote:
> "dsi1" <dsi1yahoo.com> wrote in message
>
> I don't know crap about Mexican cooking. If you believe that not
> understanding the rationale for mashed beans means I don't cook then you're
> either drunk or an idiot. I believe it's a combination of both. You're
> acting like an authority on refried beans but you cannot answer my simple,
> earnest, question. You obviously have never made this dish. This tells me
> that you're a liar and a poseur.
>
> No matter, I'm sufficiently interested in this question and will just go
> forth and make this simple dish. I'm going to make this Mexican style - with
> a shitload of oil. Otherwise, what's the point?
>
> ---
> I think it was more a way to use leftover beans and make them seem
> different. These days and in this country, this is usually not much of an
> issue but I should imagine in the old days, generating the heat needed to
> cook the beans could be costly, so they probably cooked a lot at once.
>
> It's also a lot easier to scoop up some mashed beans in a tortilla than it
> is whole beans. Mashed in a tortilla can be eaten out of hand, so they are
> portable. Try that with whole beans and you'll be wearing them.

It might be that the Mexicans serve refried beans at every meal although making it will take hours. OTOH, that might just be my gringo notion. What's the real story?
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Thu, 20 Apr 2017 02:33:49 -0700 (PDT), dsi1 >
wrote:

>On Wednesday, April 19, 2017 at 8:44:49 PM UTC-10, Julie Bove wrote:
>> "dsi1" <dsi1yahoo.com> wrote in message
>>
>> I don't know crap about Mexican cooking. If you believe that not
>> understanding the rationale for mashed beans means I don't cook then you're
>> either drunk or an idiot. I believe it's a combination of both. You're
>> acting like an authority on refried beans but you cannot answer my simple,
>> earnest, question. You obviously have never made this dish. This tells me
>> that you're a liar and a poseur.
>>
>> No matter, I'm sufficiently interested in this question and will just go
>> forth and make this simple dish. I'm going to make this Mexican style - with
>> a shitload of oil. Otherwise, what's the point?
>>
>> ---
>> I think it was more a way to use leftover beans and make them seem
>> different. These days and in this country, this is usually not much of an
>> issue but I should imagine in the old days, generating the heat needed to
>> cook the beans could be costly, so they probably cooked a lot at once.
>>
>> It's also a lot easier to scoop up some mashed beans in a tortilla than it
>> is whole beans. Mashed in a tortilla can be eaten out of hand, so they are
>> portable. Try that with whole beans and you'll be wearing them.

>It might be that the Mexicans serve refried beans at every meal although making it will take hours. OTOH, that might just be my gringo notion. What's the real story?

In Mexican lingo the "re" prefix means extra good. refried beans means
extra good fried beans, does not mean fried twice. In Mexican
households there is almost always a large pot of beans simmering but
are rarely eaten as they come from the pot, they are usually done up
as an ingredient in some other dish, frying is but one but usually
tucked into some other staple such as plain white rice, sometimes with
a small quantity of meat from what's locally hunted, often gibnut. A
lot of Mexican dishes contain beans from the stew pot, no wonder they
are refered to as 'beaners'. Nearer to the US border using pinto
beans are common so are more Tex Mex, but as one travels south and
into Central America the black bean (turtle bean) is the norm, and
that's what I prepare, I think they are better. In Puerto Rico mostly
pigeon peas are used. The time I posted pictures of my refried black
beans and pork chops some thought it looked like "shit" so I won't
REpost.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Wed, 19 Apr 2017 21:19:07 -0700 (PDT), dsi1 >
wrote:

snip

>I don't know crap about Mexican cooking. If you believe that not understanding the rationale for mashed beans means I don't cook then you're either drunk or an idiot. I believe it's a combination of both. You're acting like an authority on refried beans but you cannot answer my simple, earnest, question. You obviously have never made this dish. This tells me that you're a liar and a poseur.
>
>No matter, I'm sufficiently interested in this question and will just go forth and make this simple dish. I'm going to make this Mexican style - with a shitload of oil. Otherwise, what's the point?

please don't add a lot of oil. The beans are not meant to seem
greasy, actually the fat shouldn't be noticeable. There is no more
fat than would be used in the preparation of regular barbeque beans
where you use a tablespoon of some kind of fat to sweat the onions and
peppers.
Janet US
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On 4/20/2017 12:06 PM, U.S. Janet B. wrote:
> On Wed, 19 Apr 2017 21:19:07 -0700 (PDT), dsi1 >
> wrote:
>

> snip
>>
>> I don't know crap about Mexican cooking. If you believe that not understanding the rationale for mashed beans means I don't cook then you're either drunk or an idiot. I believe it's a combination of both. You're acting like an authority on refried beans but you cannot answer my simple, earnest, question. You obviously have never made this dish. This tells me that you're a liar and a poseur.
>>
>> No matter, I'm sufficiently interested in this question and will just go forth and make this simple dish. I'm going to make this Mexican style - with a shitload of oil. Otherwise, what's the point?

> please don't add a lot of oil. The beans are not meant to seem
> greasy, actually the fat shouldn't be noticeable. There is no more
> fat than would be used in the preparation of regular barbeque beans
> where you use a tablespoon of some kind of fat to sweat the onions and
> peppers.
> Janet US

This is just another attempt by dsl1 to make anything non-Hawaiian sound
awful. There are plenty of refried beans recipes that don't contain a
"shitload of oil". Gently reheated cooked beans, lightly mashed. They
don't have to be ground into wallpaper paste.

Jill

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Thursday, April 20, 2017 at 11:06:39 AM UTC-5, U.S. Janet B. wrote:
<
> On Wed, 19 Apr 2017 21:19:07 -0700 (PDT), dsi1 >
> wrote:
> >
> >No matter, I'm sufficiently interested in this question and will just go forth and make this simple dish. I'm going to make this Mexican style - with a shitload of oil. Otherwise, what's the point?

> please don't add a lot of oil. The beans are not meant to seem
> greasy, actually the fat shouldn't be noticeable. There is no more
> fat than would be used in the preparation of regular barbeque beans
> where you use a tablespoon of some kind of fat to sweat the onions and
> peppers.
> Janet US

If you're going to use cooking oil or solid Crisco I wouldn't
even bother turning on the stove. I've had refried beans at
Mexican restaurants (mom & pop joints), and in an effort
to be 'healthy' they used oil. The lard or bacon grease used
in authentic refried beans gives them soooo much flavor, not
greasy, that cooking oil or Crisco simply cannot duplicate.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Thursday, April 20, 2017 at 4:24:00 AM UTC-5, dsi1 wrote:

> On Wednesday, April 19, 2017 at 8:23:36 PM UTC-10, Julie Bove wrote:
> > "dsi1" <dsi100ahoo.com> wrote in message
> > >

> > They can be made fat free. The beans aren't really fried. When I make them,
> > I just cook the beans and mash them. I do usually add a little bit of olive
> > oil to them. Why? Given my 'druthers, my diet is low to no fat and that's
> > not good. So I try to add a little whenever I can. I also like to add some
> > chopped onion and bell pepper to help cut the carbs a little bit.

> It seems opinions vary greatly on the matter of oil. Some people don't even fry the bean and will mix in a good amount of oil into the bean pot. I'm a fan of using lots of oil so you know where I'm going to go.

Julie is not making refried beans. She's making one of her usual
ungodly messes and calling it refried beans. Also, adding chopped
onion and bell is not 'cutting the carbs' they're just adding flavor
to her otherwise slop.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Thursday, April 20, 2017 at 11:43:54 AM UTC-5, Jill McQuown wrote:

> There are plenty of refried beans recipes that don't contain a
> "shitload of oil". Gently reheated cooked beans, lightly mashed. They
> don't have to be ground into wallpaper paste.
>
> Jill

Exactly.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Thursday, April 20, 2017 at 6:06:39 AM UTC-10, U.S. Janet B. wrote:
> On Wed, 19 Apr 2017 21:19:07 -0700 (PDT), dsi1 <dsi10yahoo.com>
> wrote:
>

> snip
> >
> >I don't know crap about Mexican cooking. If you believe that not understanding the rationale for mashed beans means I don't cook then you're either drunk or an idiot. I believe it's a combination of both. You're acting like an authority on refried beans but you cannot answer my simple, earnest, question. You obviously have never made this dish. This tells me that you're a liar and a poseur.
> >
> >No matter, I'm sufficiently interested in this question and will just go forth and make this simple dish. I'm going to make this Mexican style - with a shitload of oil. Otherwise, what's the point?

> please don't add a lot of oil. The beans are not meant to seem
> greasy, actually the fat shouldn't be noticeable. There is no more
> fat than would be used in the preparation of regular barbeque beans
> where you use a tablespoon of some kind of fat to sweat the onions and
> peppers.
> Janet US

Near as I can tell, the oil is what makes it refried beans as opposed to just mashed beans.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

"Julie Bove" > wrote in
news

> "KenK" > wrote in message
>> "cshenk" > wrote in news:49ednY5Qt5wBBmvFnZ2dnUU7-
>> :

>>> Hi KenK, is the no tortillas because you do not have any, or because
>>> you do not eat bread (low carb desires).
>>>

>> Sort of. Trying to avoid gluten and corn.

> There are tortillas made of rice. Not sure if you can find them there
> or if they would work for you. Here is one brand that looks like they
> might work. Some rice tortillas come frozen. Can't remember if these
> did or not.

http://www.foodforlife.com/product/t...rice-tortillas

Looks like a winner! Nothing forbidden in ingredient list except rice
bran not identified. Hoping brown as brown rice flour used. Tried to
figure out how to get from store locator map to a store but couldn't
figure it out. Sent them an email instead. Hope they have a store here.

I tried Amazon yesterday, but don't recall seeing their brand there.
Torillas I did see over $1 EACH!

refried beans Ophelia[_7_] General Cooking 219 23-05-2011 10:21 PM
Refried Beans Travis and Jenn Bartimus Recipes (moderated) 0 22-07-2006 04:43 AM
refried beans? Me General Cooking 6 10-12-2005 04:50 AM
refried beans abc Mexican Cooking 11 26-01-2005 03:19 AM
Tell me about REFRIED BEANS General Cooking 12 07-03-2004 07:20 PM