Posted to rec.food.cooking

Default Meat for Pastys and the like

"notbob" > wrote in message
> On 2016-08-27, tert in seattle > wrote:
>
>> with a knife when I make pasties because that is the right tool
>> for the job

> So, this must be the last word, cuz everyone knows Seattle is the
> culinary capital of the planet! Jes ask Mz Moo.
>
> nb

Nice, really nice. I assume you are having withdrawal then?

Cheri

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Saturday, August 27, 2016 at 12:40:05 PM UTC-4, tert in seattle wrote:

> another flaw in the origi al recipe - pasties need ketchup!

No ketchup for me, thanks. They're quite good with a ladle of beef
gravy on top. Of course, that ruins them for their original
purpose.

Cindy Hamilton
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Saturday, August 27, 2016 at 1:51:54 PM UTC-4, wrote:
> On Sat, 27 Aug 2016 12:29:27 -0500, Sqwertz >
> wrote:

> >> nope!
> >>
> >> try it some time, ye of little faith

> >I have tried them several times and they are all way too dry for my
> >tastes. Pasties should be filled with sausage, pepperoni, onions,
> >tomato sauce, ricotta, maybe some mushrooms, and lots of molten
> >provolone cheese. Like so:
> >
> >https://www.flickr.com/photos/sqwert...ream/lightbox/
> >
> >-sw

> That is not even remotely like a pasty.

It's remotely (very, very remotely) like a pasty. However, that's not
a short crust--it's pizza dough. I'd call it a calzone.

Cindy Hamilton
Posted to rec.food.cooking

Taxed and Spent wrote in rec.food.cooking:

> I will be making some meat pies, such as pastys. I have seen recipes
> calling for ground beef, but I would like to perhaps do this a bit
> better. One option would be to coarse grind my own beef, the other
> would be to dice my own beef (more work - is dicing worth the extra
> effort?)
>
> What would be appropriate cuts of beef for this? Obviously I don't
> need Chateaubriand.
>
> Chuck? Sirloin? Brisket? Other?
>
> Thanks.

Depends on what you want to make. I like lamb minced, and pork loin.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

wrote:

> >> It's Cornish, not English.

> > See? There they go again. Trying to be so uptight and stuffy. You
> > want to pick nits? Cornwall is ultimately under the control of
> > England.
> >

> It is the Duchy of Cornwall and as such under Prince Charles control.
>
> > But don't get me wrong, all British cuisine sucks no matter how you
> > want to split it along cultural or political boundaries.
> >
> > -sw

> I will admit it used to, back in the 50's, but that isn't so these
> days. I don't believe US cooking was up to much then either, having
> spent the summer of 1956 in the Carmel Valley.

Actually the history of cooking has some interesting twists.

In Queen Elizabeth I's time, English cooking cuisine was top of the
world and far more respected than French. Spanish cooking at one time
was even a light in the dark and for sure, Italian was for a bit.

America, so much a melting pot, has never had a particular overall
flair but has internal cuisines well known around the planet. Cajun is
so blended that's its really us now.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Sat, 27 Aug 2016 14:10:24 -0500, "cshenk" > wrote:

>Taxed and Spent wrote in rec.food.cooking:
>
>> I will be making some meat pies, such as pastys. I have seen recipes
>> calling for ground beef, but I would like to perhaps do this a bit
>> better. One option would be to coarse grind my own beef, the other
>> would be to dice my own beef (more work - is dicing worth the extra
>> effort?)
>>
>> What would be appropriate cuts of beef for this? Obviously I don't
>> need Chateaubriand.
>>
>> Chuck? Sirloin? Brisket? Other?
>>
>> Thanks.

>Depends on what you want to make. I like lamb minced, and pork loin.

Neither of which are Cornish Pasties -
Posted to rec.food.cooking

wrote:

>> > See? There they go again. Trying to be so uptight and stuffy. You
>> > want to pick nits? Cornwall is ultimately under the control of
>> > England.
>> >

>> It is the Duchy of Cornwall and as such under Prince Charles control.
>>
>> > But don't get me wrong, all British cuisine sucks no matter how you
>> > want to split it along cultural or political boundaries.
>> >
>> > -sw

>> I will admit it used to, back in the 50's, but that isn't so these
>> days. I don't believe US cooking was up to much then either, having
>> spent the summer of 1956 in the Carmel Valley.

>Actually the history of cooking has some interesting twists.
>
>In Queen Elizabeth I's time, English cooking cuisine was top of the
>world and far more respected than French. Spanish cooking at one time
>was even a light in the dark and for sure, Italian was for a bit.
>
>America, so much a melting pot, has never had a particular overall
>flair but has internal cuisines well known around the planet. Cajun is
>so blended that's its really us now.

Not so, `cajun`is the slang for Acadian and they come from France, via
NS in Canada.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

"Roy" wrote in message

On Saturday, August 27, 2016 at 11:57:55 AM UTC-6, Ophelia wrote:
> wrote in message ...
>
> On Sat, 27 Aug 2016 12:29:27 -0500, Sqwertz >
> wrote:

> >> nope!
> >>
> >> try it some time, ye of little faith

> >I have tried them several times and they are all way too dry for my
> >tastes. Pasties should be filled with sausage, pepperoni, onions,
> >tomato sauce, ricotta, maybe some mushrooms, and lots of molten
> >provolone cheese. Like so:
> >
> >https://www.flickr.com/photos/sqwert...ream/lightbox/
> >
> >-sw

> That is not even remotely like a pasty.
>
> =======
>
> ewww that looks like vomit coming out of a cornet ...

How would you like to have that abortion for your lunch after working hours
in a coal mine?
====

LOL

--
http://www.helpforheroes.org.uk

Posted to rec.food.cooking

Taxed and Spent > wrote:

> This recipe says "finely diced" beef. Would a coarse grind be
> comparable (less work)?

Finely diced with a very sharp knife is better, as far as I'm concerned,
but using a mincer/grinder is indeed less work and the results are not
all that different.

Victor

Posted to rec.food.cooking

wrote:

> it. >> >>>>

> empanadas >> > > > instead!

> to >> > > > be so ****ing "proper".

> You >> > want to pick nits? Cornwall is ultimately under the control
> of >> > England.
> >> >

> >> It is the Duchy of Cornwall and as such under Prince Charles

> control. >>

> you >> > want to split it along cultural or political boundaries.

> >> I will admit it used to, back in the 50's, but that isn't so these
> >> days. I don't believe US cooking was up to much then either,

> having >> spent the summer of 1956 in the Carmel Valley.
> >
> > Actually the history of cooking has some interesting twists.
> >
> > In Queen Elizabeth I's time, English cooking cuisine was top of the
> > world and far more respected than French. Spanish cooking at one
> > time was even a light in the dark and for sure, Italian was for a
> > bit.
> >
> > America, so much a melting pot, has never had a particular overall
> > flair but has internal cuisines well known around the planet.
> > Cajun is so blended that's its really us now.

> Not so, `cajun`is the slang for Acadian and they come from France, via
> NS in Canada.

Whatever you wish to believe is fine with me but Cajun/Creole is a mix
of France, Africa, American Indian and many other drifts that are now
uniquely their own.

Cajun cooking is not French nor can their wonderful foods due to
blending of cultures, be attributed to France.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

wrote:

>> it. >> >>>>

>> empanadas >> > > > instead!

>> to >> > > > be so ****ing "proper".

>> You >> > want to pick nits? Cornwall is ultimately under the control
>> of >> > England.

>> control. >>

>> you >> > want to split it along cultural or political boundaries.

>> having >> spent the summer of 1956 in the Carmel Valley.
>> >
>> > Actually the history of cooking has some interesting twists.
>> >
>> > In Queen Elizabeth I's time, English cooking cuisine was top of the
>> > world and far more respected than French. Spanish cooking at one
>> > time was even a light in the dark and for sure, Italian was for a
>> > bit.
>> >
>> > America, so much a melting pot, has never had a particular overall
>> > flair but has internal cuisines well known around the planet.
>> > Cajun is so blended that's its really us now.

>> Not so, `cajun`is the slang for Acadian and they come from France, via
>> NS in Canada.

>Whatever you wish to believe is fine with me but Cajun/Creole is a mix
>of France, Africa, American Indian and many other drifts that are now
>uniquely their own.
>
>Cajun cooking is not French nor can their wonderful foods due to
>blending of cultures, be attributed to France.

I didn`t attribute it to France dimwit.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

>Good morning, Sheena.
>
>I'm sorry to hear about your toe incident. We have two different contractors for baseboard and for carpet. I have not been to visit since the baseboards were installed, but I will stop by on Monday to assess. The delay with the carpet is the rubber trim piece for the edge of the stair treads, which is on back order. It is expected to arrive on Monday or Tuesday, and is the only thing holding up completion of the job.
>
>Thanks for bringing this to our attention.

On Sun, 28 Aug 2016 08:10:27 +1000, Bruce >
wrote:

>In article >, cshenk1
says...

>> wrote in rec.food.cooking:
>>
>> > Not so, `cajun`is the slang for Acadian and they come from France,

>via
>> > NS in Canada.

>> Whatever you wish to believe is fine with me but Cajun/Creole is a mix
>> of France, Africa, American Indian and many other drifts that are now
>> uniquely their own.
>>
>> Cajun cooking is not French nor can their wonderful foods due to
>> blending of cultures, be attributed to France.

>Also, when has Canada ever contributed anything to food culture? Or to
>anything else? Is there a duller country?

Yes, the Netherlands -

Posted to rec.food.cooking

wrote:

>On Sat, 27 Aug 2016 17:07:36 +0000 (UTC), tert in seattle wrote:
>
>> Sqwertz wrote:

>>> I would definitely grind since this is raw meat. Chunks of round,
>>> flank, or sirloin are going to be pretty tough and dry. I would use a
>>> fatty cut if I were trying to make them otherwise they're dry (and
>>> bland).

>> nope!
>>
>> try it some time, ye of little faith

>I have tried them several times and they are all way too dry for my
>tastes. Pasties should be filled with sausage, pepperoni, onions,
>tomato sauce, ricotta, maybe some mushrooms, and lots of molten
>provolone cheese. Like so:
>
>https://www.flickr.com/photos/sqwert...ream/lightbox/

looks delicious to me...you did'nt put any hot sauce in it?

William

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Fri, 26 Aug 2016 07:22:47 -0700, Taxed and Spent
> wrote:

>I will be making some meat pies, such as pastys. I have seen recipes
>calling for ground beef, but I would like to perhaps do this a bit
>better. One option would be to coarse grind my own beef, the other
>would be to dice my own beef (more work - is dicing worth the extra effort?)
>
>What would be appropriate cuts of beef for this? Obviously I don't need
>Chateaubriand.
>
>Chuck? Sirloin? Brisket? Other?

I thought this was interesting:

When Cornish miners migrated to Michigan's Upper Peninsula in the
1800's, they brought with them their beloved national dish: the pasty.
The Finnish miners that followed adopted these meat pies as their own
(easily transportable for long subterranean days!), and the pasty
became such a large part of the regional culture that there's an
annual pasty festival in early July. In this recipe, beef, rutabaga,
carrots, onions and potatoes are essentially steamed within the
crimped, D-shaped dough pocket that's slit to allow just enough steam
to escape. (Cooking Channel TV.Com)

William

Posted to rec.food.cooking

Ketchup? Oh, ick. Absolutely sounds nasty.

N.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On 8/28/2016 1:17 AM, Sqwertz wrote:
> On Sat, 27 Aug 2016 20:44:08 -0700, Taxed and Spent wrote:
>
>> You folks have convinced me to make not a pasty, but something like it
>> with trippa - for the Italian influence.

> Wow. We really ****ed you up, eh?
>
> Tripas are not for stuffing into pastry or dough. Boil and fry them
> and put them into corn or flour tortillas.
>
> https://www.flickr.com/photos/sqwert...ream/lightbox/
>
> -sw

oh, you are making up the food rules not? Go stuff yourself!

Posted to rec.food.cooking

wrote in rec.food.cooking:

> shred >> it. >> >>>>

> >> empanadas >> > > > instead!

> probably >> >> > > > sucks because they're so stuffy and strict.
> Everything has >> to >> > > > be so ****ing "proper".

> >> You >> > want to pick nits? Cornwall is ultimately under the

> control >> of >> > England.

> >> control. >>

> how >> you >> > want to split it along cultural or political
> boundaries. >> >> >

> these >> >> days. I don't believe US cooking was up to much then
> either, >> having >> spent the summer of 1956 in the Carmel Valley.

> the >> > world and far more respected than French. Spanish cooking
> at one >> > time was even a light in the dark and for sure, Italian
> was for a >> > bit.

> overall >> > flair but has internal cuisines well known around the
> planet. >> > Cajun is so blended that's its really us now.
> >>
> >> Not so, `cajun`is the slang for Acadian and they come from France,

> via >> NS in Canada.
> >
> > Whatever you wish to believe is fine with me but Cajun/Creole is a
> > mix of France, Africa, American Indian and many other drifts that
> > are now uniquely their own.
> >
> > Cajun cooking is not French nor can their wonderful foods due to
> > blending of cultures, be attributed to France.

> I didn`t attribute it to France dimwit.

No, you were stupid enough to confuse French from Canada into the
situation. You are clueless on Cajun and Creole cookery.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Mon, 29 Aug 2016 17:53:35 -0500, "cshenk" > wrote:

>> overall >> > flair but has internal cuisines well known around the
>> planet. >> > Cajun is so blended that's its really us now.

>> via >> NS in Canada.
>> >
>> > Whatever you wish to believe is fine with me but Cajun/Creole is a
>> > mix of France, Africa, American Indian and many other drifts that
>> > are now uniquely their own.
>> >
>> > Cajun cooking is not French nor can their wonderful foods due to
>> > blending of cultures, be attributed to France.

>> I didn`t attribute it to France dimwit.

>No, you were stupid enough to confuse French from Canada into the
>situation. You are clueless on Cajun and Creole cookery.

No, once again! I am not confusing anything. 'French from Canada'
are not Acadians and they would be bloody mad that you confused them,
I know that because I have some good Acadian friends! I suggest you
google Acadian and then you might just get the connection ignoramus!
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Mon, 29 Aug 2016 18:30:49 -0500, "cshenk" > wrote:

wrote in rec.food.cooking:

>> France, >> via >> NS in Canada.

>> a >> > mix of France, Africa, American Indian and many other drifts
>> that >> > are now uniquely their own.

>Lets try this again, I'M NOT THE ONE who even used the term Arcadians.
>You trimmed off that it was another. You can tell though from the >>>
>marks that it was not me. The above was to the other person who
>insisted that Cajuns were Arcadians.
>
>My only comment was that Cajun and Creole are pretty much us now,
>though influenced by other quisines, both are very much a melting pot
>type of cookery and they have, over time belended together in some ways
>as to form a unique cookery of a region.

For a start, don't know who Arcadians are - just google Acadians and
then you can follow through why I made the remark I did about 'cajun'
food !! You'd be in quite a bit of trouble here with Acadians if you
didn't get the link between them and 'cajuns'
Posted to rec.food.cooking

In article >,
says...

> On Mon, 29 Aug 2016 18:30:49 -0500, "cshenk" > wrote:
>
> wrote in rec.food.cooking:

> >> France, >> via >> NS in Canada.

> >> a >> > mix of France, Africa, American Indian and many other drifts
> >> that >> > are now uniquely their own.

> >Lets try this again, I'M NOT THE ONE who even used the term Arcadians.
> >You trimmed off that it was another. You can tell though from the >>>
> >marks that it was not me. The above was to the other person who
> >insisted that Cajuns were Arcadians.
> >
> >My only comment was that Cajun and Creole are pretty much us now,
> >though influenced by other quisines, both are very much a melting pot
> >type of cookery and they have, over time belended together in some ways
> >as to form a unique cookery of a region.

> For a start, don't know who Arcadians are - just google Acadians and
> then you can follow through why I made the remark I did about 'cajun'
> food !! You'd be in quite a bit of trouble here with Acadians if you
> didn't get the link between them and 'cajuns'

Staying out of this discussion, I still think we need to distinguish
between Arcadians and Acadians. Other than that, this is all I know
about Acadians:

https://www.youtube.com/results?sear...ugain+acadiens

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Tue, 30 Aug 2016 10:25:30 +1000, Bruce >
wrote:

>In article >,
says...

>> >Lets try this again, I'M NOT THE ONE who even used the term Arcadians.
>> >You trimmed off that it was another. You can tell though from the >>>
>> >marks that it was not me. The above was to the other person who
>> >insisted that Cajuns were Arcadians.
>> >
>> >My only comment was that Cajun and Creole are pretty much us now,
>> >though influenced by other quisines, both are very much a melting pot
>> >type of cookery and they have, over time belended together in some ways
>> >as to form a unique cookery of a region.

>> For a start, don't know who Arcadians are - just google Acadians and
>> then you can follow through why I made the remark I did about 'cajun'
>> food !! You'd be in quite a bit of trouble here with Acadians if you
>> didn't get the link between them and 'cajuns'

>Staying out of this discussion, I still think we need to distinguish
>between Arcadians and Acadians. Other than that, this is all I know
>about Acadians:
>
>https://www.youtube.com/results?sear...ugain+acadiens

I love Arcadian music:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nbh1ep36vjY
Posted to rec.food.cooking

wrote in rec.food.cooking:

> the >> >> planet. >> > Cajun is so blended that's its really us now.

> >> France, >> via >> NS in Canada.

> is >> a >> > mix of France, Africa, American Indian and many other
> drifts >> that >> > are now uniquely their own.
> >
> > Lets try this again, I'M NOT THE ONE who even used the term
> > Arcadians. You trimmed off that it was another. You can tell
> > though from the >>> marks that it was not me. The above was to the
> > other person who insisted that Cajuns were Arcadians.
> >
> > My only comment was that Cajun and Creole are pretty much us now,
> > though influenced by other quisines, both are very much a melting
> > pot type of cookery and they have, over time belended together in
> > some ways as to form a unique cookery of a region.

> For a start, don't know who Arcadians are - just google Acadians and
> then you can follow through why I made the remark I did about 'cajun'
> food !! You'd be in quite a bit of trouble here with Acadians if you
> didn't get the link between them and 'cajuns'

Look, if you want to be silly and claim Cajun cuisine of today is
related strongly enough to be Canadian Arcaidian shifts still, have fun
with it bit you will be alone.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

In article >, gravesend10
@verizon.net says...

> On Tue, 30 Aug 2016 10:25:30 +1000, Bruce >
> wrote:
>
> >In article >,
> says...
> >>
> >> For a start, don't know who Arcadians are - just google Acadians
> >> and
> >> then you can follow through why I made the remark I did about 'cajun'
> >> food !! You'd be in quite a bit of trouble here with Acadians if you
> >> didn't get the link between them and 'cajuns'

> >Staying out of this discussion, I still think we need to distinguish
> >between Arcadians and Acadians. Other than that, this is all I know
> >about Acadians:
> >
> >https://www.youtube.com/results?sear...ugain+acadiens

> I love Arcadian music:
> https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nbh1ep36vjY

An Asian playing German music. I'm pulling the cultural appropriation
card!
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Tue, 30 Aug 2016 11:41:08 +1000, Bruce >
wrote:

>In article >, gravesend10
says...

>> On Tue, 30 Aug 2016 10:25:30 +1000, Bruce >
>> wrote:
>>
>> >In article >,
>> says...

>> >Staying out of this discussion, I still think we need to distinguish
>> >between Arcadians and Acadians. Other than that, this is all I know
>> >about Acadians:
>> >
>> >https://www.youtube.com/results?sear...ugain+acadiens

>> I love Arcadian music:
>> https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nbh1ep36vjY

>An Asian playing German music. I'm pulling the cultural appropriation
>card!

I never notice a woman's race... I only notice her boobs... only thing
I was thinking was I wished I was that acadian pinching her nipples.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

In article >, gravesend10
@verizon.net says...

> On Tue, 30 Aug 2016 11:41:08 +1000, Bruce >
> wrote:
>
> >In article >, gravesend10
> says...

> >> says...

> >> I love Arcadian music:
> >> https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nbh1ep36vjY

> >An Asian playing German music. I'm pulling the cultural appropriation
> >card!

> I never notice a woman's race... I only notice her boobs... only thing
> I was thinking was I wished I was that acadian pinching her nipples.

I only get it now.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Mon, 29 Aug 2016 20:40:44 -0500, Sqwertz >
wrote:

>On Mon, 29 Aug 2016 20:53:27 -0400, Brooklyn1 wrote:
>
>> On Tue, 30 Aug 2016 10:25:30 +1000, Bruce >
>> wrote:
>>
>>>In article >,
says...

>>>Staying out of this discussion, I still think we need to distinguish
>>>between Arcadians and Acadians. Other than that, this is all I know
>>>about Acadians:
>>>
>>>https://www.youtube.com/results?sear...ugain+acadiens

>> I love Arcadian music:
>> https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nbh1ep36vjY

>Have I mentioned that I hate new carpet?
>
>-sw

So do I, or rather the lack of it and having to endure eight stitches
in my foot until I get them taken out next Friday.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Tue, 30 Aug 2016 06:28:04 -0400, Gary > wrote:

wrote:

>> Sqwertz wrote:
>> >Have I mentioned that I hate new carpet?

> ;-D
>
>> So do I, or rather the lack of it and having to endure eight stitches
>> in my foot until I get them taken out next Friday.

>Well, arrghhh! What did you do?

I saw another woman wrestling with the dolly to put it back in the
laundry room and offered to help. It slid on the bare concrete (and
as I now know - there is a bolt underneath it) and it ripped the nail
off my big toe. I was going to finish the job with some pliers but
remembered I hadn't had a tetanus shot for well over ten years, so
thought better of it. Bound it up, went and played bridge then went
to emerge.

It seems I had nearly ripped the top of my toe off as well so now it
is all stitched up. So yes, I complained to management that I
thought the carpet should get his butt back here and finish the job
before there was another accident. He turned up about two hours later