Old 01-11-2006, 01:46 PM posted to rec.food.cooking

Default Shredded Beef Taco Meat? Or Burrito Meat?

"cybercat" wrote in :

I made beef stew, but bought too much beef, so did not cook about two
pounds. It's really nice, lean beef cut in smallish cubes, just a bit
of fat.

I like braised "fall apart" beef, but have been doing too much savory
stuff, so I was thinking ... spicy and rolled in a flour tortilla with
good stuff like shredded cheddar, tomatoes, sour cream, maybe a little
fresh guacamole.

Anyone have a favorite recipe, where the spices really saturate the
meat?

SPAM baby, That's the way to go, it don't fall apart, it goes well with any
wine and looks good next to the roses.

Old 01-11-2006, 02:58 PM posted to rec.food.cooking

cybercat wrote:
I made beef stew, but bought too much beef, so did not cook about two
pounds. It's really nice, lean beef cut in smallish cubes, just a bit of
fat.

I like braised "fall apart" beef, but have been doing too much savory stuff,
so I was thinking ... spicy and rolled in a flour tortilla with good stuff
like shredded cheddar, tomatoes, sour cream, maybe a little fresh guacamole.

%% Anyone have a favorite recipe, where the spices really saturate the
meat?

Add half a can of Herdez salsa ranchera with some Mexican oregano and
some epazote. Use a half can of beer as the cooking liquid.

Cook until it is falling apart. Works with pork, too.

Or cook with home made salsa verde made with serranos & tomatillos.

T.

Old 02-11-2006, 05:37 PM posted to rec.food.cooking

"jay" wrote in message
On Wed, 1 Nov 2006 09:35:44 -0500, cybercat wrote:

I like braised "fall apart" beef, but have been doing too much savory
stuff,
so I was thinking ... spicy and rolled in a flour tortilla with good
stuff
like shredded cheddar, tomatoes, sour cream, maybe a little fresh
guacamole.

Anyone have a favorite recipe, where the spices really saturate the meat?

Braise the beef with some fresh poblano peppers, tomatoes, onion, garlic,
fresh or pickled jalapeno and some toasted cumin, oregano and chipotle
chili powder.

I am trying this today! I have never seen poblano peppers, but am sending
the
manslave out for them after work! Thank you.

Old 02-11-2006, 05:38 PM posted to rec.food.cooking

wrote in message
oups.com...

cybercat wrote:
I made beef stew, but bought too much beef, so did not cook about two
pounds. It's really nice, lean beef cut in smallish cubes, just a bit of
fat.

I like braised "fall apart" beef, but have been doing too much savory
stuff,
so I was thinking ... spicy and rolled in a flour tortilla with good
stuff
like shredded cheddar, tomatoes, sour cream, maybe a little fresh
guacamole.

%% Anyone have a favorite recipe, where the spices really saturate the
meat?

Add half a can of Herdez salsa ranchera with some Mexican oregano and
some epazote. Use a half can of beer as the cooking liquid.

Cook until it is falling apart. Works with pork, too.

Or cook with home made salsa verde made with serranos & tomatillos.

Sounds delish, I will try this next time. We don't keep beer around, OH
NO, guess I will have to get some! I like the ambers and darks, would
that work? And what IS epazote?

Old 02-11-2006, 06:00 PM posted to rec.food.cooking

cybercat wrote:
I made beef stew, but bought too much beef, so did not cook about two
pounds. It's really nice, lean beef cut in smallish cubes, just a bit of
fat.

I like braised "fall apart" beef, but have been doing too much savory stuff,
so I was thinking ... spicy and rolled in a flour tortilla with good stuff
like shredded cheddar, tomatoes, sour cream, maybe a little fresh guacamole.

Anyone have a favorite recipe, where the spices really saturate the meat?

Chop up some potatoes - about the same volume as the meat - into big,
but still bite sized, pieces. Put the mean and potatoes in your
crockpot. Cover with green salsa and cook for many many hours.

rolls up great in a tortilla with shredded cheese.

b.

Old 02-11-2006, 06:29 PM posted to rec.food.cooking

cybercat wrote:

Anyone have a favorite recipe, where the spices really saturate the meat?

We throw about 3 lbs of cubed meat in the crock pot with a jar of
Williams-Sonoma roja sauce and let it cook on low until you can pull
the meat apart (about 6 hours in an All-Clad slow cooker). You could
surely do the same with a spicier favorite salsa. :-)

Old 02-11-2006, 06:43 PM posted to rec.food.cooking

oops - should have added that I think the roja sauce is in a 12 oz jar.
So for 2 lbs of meat, about 8 oz of salsa should do it.

Old 02-11-2006, 06:58 PM posted to rec.food.cooking

"chris" wrote in message
oups.com...
oops - should have added that I think the roja sauce is in a 12 oz jar.
So for 2 lbs of meat, about 8 oz of salsa should do it.

This made my mouth water. I have a generic brand salsa I like,
certainly not as fancy as Williams Sonoma, but it might do the job!

Old 02-11-2006, 07:07 PM posted to rec.food.cooking
aem aem is offline

cybercat wrote:

Sounds delish, I will try this next time. We don't keep beer around, OH
NO, guess I will have to get some! I like the ambers and darks, would
that work? And what IS epazote?

This page is quite informative about epazote. I use it with black
beans, where I think it adds something flavorful. I have used it with
pinto beans but didn't think it went as well with them. -aem

Old 02-11-2006, 07:10 PM posted to rec.food.cooking
aem aem is offline

Sorry, forgot the link: http://www.gourmetsleuth.com/epazote.htm

Old 02-11-2006, 09:15 PM posted to rec.food.cooking

"aem" wrote
This page is quite informative about epazote. I use it with black
beans, where I think it adds something flavorful. I have used it with
pinto beans but didn't think it went as well with them. -aem

Sorry, forgot the link: http://www.gourmetsleuth.com/epazote.htm

What a cool site. I love black beans. It has been too long since I made
a big deadly looking pot of them, cooked down to a thick, spicy mess.
Do you think epazote really reduces gas? (I find the more beany stuff
I eat, the less problem I have that way.) Does it really taste like
kerosene??

Old 03-11-2006, 01:47 PM posted to rec.food.cooking

cybercat wrote:
"aem" wrote
This page is quite informative about epazote. I use it with black
beans, where I think it adds something flavorful. I have used it with
pinto beans but didn't think it went as well with them. -aem

Sorry, forgot the link: http://www.gourmetsleuth.com/epazote.htm

What a cool site. I love black beans. It has been too long since I made
a big deadly looking pot of them, cooked down to a thick, spicy mess.
Do you think epazote really reduces gas? (I find the more beany stuff
I eat, the less problem I have that way.) Does it really taste like
kerosene??

Epazote only smells like kerosene in large quantities. I only put in a
couple of leaves (dried) into a pot of frijoles or a batch of pozole.

I made pozole last night with dried pozole from New Mexico. I used a
little over a pound of boneless pork ribs (sometimes with a big batch,
I'll put in a pig foot). Used Mexican oregano, thyme, epazote, chile
caribe & some chimayo dulce that was ground. Had limon, chopped
radishes, onions, & cilantro for garnish.

Good stuff.

T.

Old 03-11-2006, 02:50 PM posted to rec.food.cooking

wrote in message
oups.com...

Epazote only smells like kerosene in large quantities. I only put in a
couple of leaves (dried) into a pot of frijoles or a batch of pozole.

I made pozole last night with dried pozole from New Mexico. I used a
little over a pound of boneless pork ribs (sometimes with a big batch,
I'll put in a pig foot). Used Mexican oregano, thyme, epazote, chile
caribe & some chimayo dulce that was ground. Had limon, chopped
radishes, onions, & cilantro for garnish.

Good stuff.

Sounds like you are worlds ahead of me with authentic Mexican
cooking. I'm still doing TexMex stuff, but I am interested in
learning more about the real thing. Thanks.

Old 03-11-2006, 02:52 PM posted to rec.food.cooking

"jay" wrote in message
.. .
On Thu, 2 Nov 2006 12:37:44 -0500, cybercat wrote:

"jay" wrote in message
On Wed, 1 Nov 2006 09:35:44 -0500, cybercat wrote:

I am trying this today! I have never seen poblano peppers, but am sending
the
manslave out for them after work! Thank you.

Welcome..here is what my copy looks like.. with potatoes.

http://i36.photobucket.com/albums/e1...d/Image033.jpg

Wow! Gorgeous presentation! It was so late when my husband got home,
I will make mine tonight, but I am sure it will not be so pretty. Thanks.

I'm not a fan of shredded meat Portland General Cooking 21 15-06-2011 01:03 PM
Taco Meat benzmaster Recipes (moderated) 1 13-04-2010 10:30 AM
Taco Meat cybercat General Cooking 27 27-06-2007 11:20 PM
Burrito meat Terry General Cooking 20 01-02-2007 01:13 PM
ping Jay... shredded taco meat levelwave General Cooking 3 07-11-2006 04:15 PM