Posted to rec.food.cooking

Default Meat for Pastys and the like

On Tue, 30 Aug 2016 14:00:56 -0700, "Cheri" >
wrote:

>"Gary" > wrote in message ...
>> Sqwertz wrote:

>>> Well then save the doctor's time and let some treat somebody else who
>>> needs it more. I bet you have a lot of hypocondriacs in Canada ;-)

>> Hell yeah.... have "free" insurance and everyone runs to the doctor for
>> every little sniffle. This is why insurance costs so much.

>Yep, there are very few uninsured hypochondriacs, on the other hand it's
>pretty amazing how the body heals itself in many cases when one is
>uninsured.
>
>Cheri

I was going to make this a DIY project until I realised the pliers
might be loaded with tetanus and that's not a great way to go. In the
event, if you have ripped the nail practically off, it is better to
keep it there to 'train' the new nail in the right grooves and avoid
ingrown toe nails, that made sense.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

wrote:

>> > Hell yeah.... have "free" insurance and everyone runs to the doctor for
>> > every little sniffle. This is why insurance costs so much.

>> Yep, there are very few uninsured hypochondriacs, on the other hand it's
>> pretty amazing how the body heals itself in many cases when one is
>> uninsured.

>Every civilised country should have free healthcare, public transport
>and beer. Few do.

Definitely free healthcare, that's a sacred cow in Canada and
politicians try to monkey with it at their peril, but I also feel
guaranteed pensions are good too. Seems now all the major
corporations are trying to do away with them, not fair, another way
the 1% see to grab more for themselves.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

In article >,
says...

> On Wed, 31 Aug 2016 07:07:39 +1000, Bruce >
> wrote:
>
> >In article >,
says...

wrote:

> >> Yep, there are very few uninsured hypochondriacs, on the other hand it's
> >> pretty amazing how the body heals itself in many cases when one is
> >> uninsured.

> >Every civilised country should have free healthcare, public transport
> >and beer. Few do.

> Definitely free healthcare, that's a sacred cow in Canada and
> politicians try to monkey with it at their peril, but I also feel
> guaranteed pensions are good too. Seems now all the major
> corporations are trying to do away with them, not fair, another way
> the 1% see to grab more for themselves.

When you say 'pension' do you mean what everybody gets when they reach
65 or 67 or so?
Posted to rec.food.cooking

Default Cajun/Creole (WAS: Meat for Pastys and the like)

On 8/27/2016 5:51 PM, cshenk wrote:
> Whatever you wish to believe is fine with me but Cajun/Creole is a mix
> of France, Africa, American Indian and many other drifts that are now
> uniquely their own.
>
> Cajun cooking is not French nor can their wonderful foods due to
> blending of cultures, be attributed to France.

Creole is considered more "upscale" but you said yourself it's a blend
derived from all the cultures you mentioned above, including France.
The term Cajun when it comes to cooking tends to refer to more relaxed
(aka "country cooking") brought to Louisiana by the French Acadians out
of Canada. France was a definite influence in both types of cuisine.

Look up boudin; blanc and noir have origins in France. How about
andouille? Hmmmm. Or just ask a Cajun; they'll tell you.

Jill

Posted to rec.food.cooking

wrote:

>>> Yep, there are very few uninsured hypochondriacs, on the other hand it's
>>> pretty amazing how the body heals itself in many cases when one is
>>> uninsured.

>>Every civilised country should have free healthcare, public transport
>>and beer. Few do.

> Definitely free healthcare, that's a sacred cow in Canada and
> politicians try to monkey with it at their peril, but I also feel
> guaranteed pensions are good too. Seems now all the major
> corporations are trying to do away with them, not fair, another way
> the 1% see to grab more for themselves.

I agree about health care, but...it's not free it paid for by taxes and
fees.

Cheri

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Wed, 31 Aug 2016 08:02:20 +1000, Bruce >
wrote:

>In article >,
says...

wrote:

>> >Every civilised country should have free healthcare, public transport
>> >and beer. Few do.

>> Definitely free healthcare, that's a sacred cow in Canada and
>> politicians try to monkey with it at their peril, but I also feel
>> guaranteed pensions are good too. Seems now all the major
>> corporations are trying to do away with them, not fair, another way
>> the 1% see to grab more for themselves.

>When you say 'pension' do you mean what everybody gets when they reach
>65 or 67 or so?

Yes, the pensions you work for, apart from the national pension. I
was talking to our mail man today, there is currently strife between
the post office management and the union, he's okay, he'll get his but
I understand that new people coming into the post office will have no
guarantees in future as to what their pensions will be. In other
words, big corps are trying to shed any responsibilities or guarantees
as to what the pension deductions will mean to young people when they
actually retire.

All employees have Canada Pension deductions but I wouldn't want to
have to exist on simply that alone.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Tue, 30 Aug 2016 18:33:54 -0400, jmcquown >
wrote:

>On 8/27/2016 5:51 PM, cshenk wrote:
>> Whatever you wish to believe is fine with me but Cajun/Creole is a mix
>> of France, Africa, American Indian and many other drifts that are now
>> uniquely their own.
>>
>> Cajun cooking is not French nor can their wonderful foods due to
>> blending of cultures, be attributed to France.

>Creole is considered more "upscale" but you said yourself it's a blend
>derived from all the cultures you mentioned above, including France.
>The term Cajun when it comes to cooking tends to refer to more relaxed
>(aka "country cooking") brought to Louisiana by the French Acadians out
>of Canada. France was a definite influence in both types of cuisine.
>
>Look up boudin; blanc and noir have origins in France. How about
>andouille? Hmmmm. Or just ask a Cajun; they'll tell you.
>
>Jill

I always think of that wonderful old feller Justin.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Tue, 30 Aug 2016 16:58:39 -0700, "Cheri" >
wrote:

.. .

wrote:

>>>Every civilised country should have free healthcare, public transport
>>>and beer. Few do.

>> Definitely free healthcare, that's a sacred cow in Canada and
>> politicians try to monkey with it at their peril, but I also feel
>> guaranteed pensions are good too. Seems now all the major
>> corporations are trying to do away with them, not fair, another way
>> the 1% see to grab more for themselves.

>I agree about health care, but...it's not free it paid for by taxes and
>fees.
>
>Cheri

Sure, the money has to come from somewhere but it does guarantee that
like me last week, I take my toe into emerge, it is stitched up, I am
sent home armed with clean dressings for it and I then go to my own
doc to have stiches removed. I could have no money or lots, but it
would be the same treatment. The only thing I had to show was my NS
medical card which proves I live in this province and also means the
computer brings up all my medical files for them. Our fees are paid
by a 2% ( I think, something like that) tax on sales. Not on all
sales, but things like cars, or clothes.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

> wrote in message

> Sure, the money has to come from somewhere but it does guarantee that
> like me last week, I take my toe into emerge, it is stitched up, I am
> sent home armed with clean dressings for it and I then go to my own
> doc to have stiches removed. I could have no money or lots, but it
> would be the same treatment. The only thing I had to show was my NS
> medical card which proves I live in this province and also means the
> computer brings up all my medical files for them. Our fees are paid
> by a 2% ( I think, something like that) tax on sales. Not on all
> sales, but things like cars, or clothes.

That was my point, nothing is free, but at least you get something really
great for your taxes.

Cheri

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On 8/30/2016 6:12 PM, wrote:
> On Wed, 31 Aug 2016 08:02:20 +1000, Bruce >
> wrote:
>
>> In article >,

says...

says...

wrote:

>>> Definitely free healthcare, that's a sacred cow in Canada and
>>> politicians try to monkey with it at their peril, but I also feel
>>> guaranteed pensions are good too. Seems now all the major
>>> corporations are trying to do away with them, not fair, another way
>>> the 1% see to grab more for themselves.

>> When you say 'pension' do you mean what everybody gets when they reach
>> 65 or 67 or so?

> Yes, the pensions you work for, apart from the national pension. I
> was talking to our mail man today, there is currently strife between
> the post office management and the union, he's okay, he'll get his but
> I understand that new people coming into the post office will have no
> guarantees in future as to what their pensions will be. In other
> words, big corps are trying to shed any responsibilities or guarantees
> as to what the pension deductions will mean to young people when they
> actually retire.
>
> All employees have Canada Pension deductions but I wouldn't want to
> have to exist on simply that alone.

Not quite like that!
They proposed that new hires sign on to a defined contribution pension
plan and not what has become an unsustainable defined benefit plan.
I wish the feds and provincial politicos had the guts to bring that in
for all public servants.
Graham
Posted to rec.food.cooking

wrote:

>>> Every civilised country should have free healthcare, public transport
>>> and beer. Few do.

>> Definitely free healthcare, that's a sacred cow in Canada and
>> politicians try to monkey with it at their peril, but I also feel
>> guaranteed pensions are good too. Seems now all the major
>> corporations are trying to do away with them, not fair, another way
>> the 1% see to grab more for themselves.

> I agree about health care, but...it's not free it paid for by taxes and
> fees.
>
> Cheri

Just as your house insurance payment doesn't cover the cost of replacing
your house if it burns down.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

In article >, says...

> > wrote in message
> > On Wed, 31 Aug 2016 07:07:39 +1000, Bruce >
> > wrote:
> >
> >>In article >,
says...

wrote:

> >>Every civilised country should have free healthcare, public transport
> >>and beer. Few do.

> > Definitely free healthcare, that's a sacred cow in Canada and
> > politicians try to monkey with it at their peril, but I also feel
> > guaranteed pensions are good too. Seems now all the major
> > corporations are trying to do away with them, not fair, another way
> > the 1% see to grab more for themselves.

> I agree about health care, but...it's not free it paid for by taxes and
> fees.

It's always paid for somehow, so...
Posted to rec.food.cooking

wrote:

>>> Definitely free healthcare, that's a sacred cow in Canada and
>>> politicians try to monkey with it at their peril, but I also feel
>>> guaranteed pensions are good too. Seems now all the major
>>> corporations are trying to do away with them, not fair, another way
>>> the 1% see to grab more for themselves.

>> I agree about health care, but...it's not free it paid for by taxes and
>> fees.
>>
>> Cheri

> Just as your house insurance payment doesn't cover the cost of replacing
> your house if it burns down.

Sorry, but it does, also the contents.

Cheri

Posted to rec.food.cooking

In article >, says...

says...

wrote:

> >> I agree about health care, but...it's not free it paid for by taxes and
> >> fees.
> >>
> >> Cheri

> > Just as your house insurance payment doesn't cover the cost of replacing
> > your house if it burns down.

> Sorry, but it does, also the contents.

You must be paying high insurance payments
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On 8/30/2016 7:43 PM, Bruce wrote:
> In article >, says...

says...

wrote:

>>> Just as your house insurance payment doesn't cover the cost of replacing
>>> your house if it burns down.

>> Sorry, but it does, also the contents.

> You must be paying high insurance payments

What does your insurance cover?
Posted to rec.food.cooking

In article >,
says...

> On 8/30/2016 7:43 PM, Bruce wrote:
> > In article >,
says...

says...

wrote:

> >> Sorry, but it does, also the contents.

> > You must be paying high insurance payments
> >

> What does your insurance cover?

The point is that your payments don't cover the value of your house.
That's not how insurance works. The payments for 30,000 insured houses
cover the cost of one of them burning down, plus a nice profit for the
insurance company.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On 8/30/2016 9:11 PM, Bruce wrote:
> In article >,
> says...
>>
>> On 8/30/2016 7:43 PM, Bruce wrote:
>>> In article >,
says...

says...

wrote:

>>> You must be paying high insurance payments
>>>

>> What does your insurance cover?

> The point is that your payments don't cover the value of your house.
> That's not how insurance works. The payments for 30,000 insured houses
> cover the cost of one of them burning down, plus a nice profit for the
> insurance company.

oh, THAT was your point.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

wrote:

>>> I agree about health care, but...it's not free it paid for by taxes and
>>> fees.
>>>
>>> Cheri

>> Just as your house insurance payment doesn't cover the cost of
>> replacing your house if it burns down.

> Sorry, but it does, also the contents.
>
> Cheri

NO! Note I said payment! Your paltry annual fee does NOT match the
amount the insurance company would have to pay out!

Posted to rec.food.cooking

"Taxed and Spent" > wrote in message
> On 8/30/2016 9:11 PM, Bruce wrote:
>> In article >,
>> says...

says...

>>> What does your insurance cover?

>> The point is that your payments don't cover the value of your house.
>> That's not how insurance works. The payments for 30,000 insured houses
>> cover the cost of one of them burning down, plus a nice profit for the
>> insurance company.
>>

> oh, THAT was your point.

Yeah, go figure. LOL

Cheri

Posted to rec.food.cooking

"graham" > wrote in message
> On 8/30/2016 7:34 PM, Cheri wrote:

>>> Just as your house insurance payment doesn't cover the cost of
>>> replacing your house if it burns down.

>> Sorry, but it does, also the contents.
>>
>> Cheri

> NO! Note I said payment! Your paltry annual fee does NOT match the amount
> the insurance company would have to pay out!

So what? My comment was that Canadian health care isn't free, it's paid for
with taxes/fees etc. so your barking is just tiresome at this point.

Cheri

Posted to rec.food.cooking

In article >, says...

> "Taxed and Spent" > wrote in message
> > On 8/30/2016 9:11 PM, Bruce wrote:
> >> In article >,

> >> says...

says...

> >> The point is that your payments don't cover the value of your house.
> >> That's not how insurance works. The payments for 30,000 insured houses
> >> cover the cost of one of them burning down, plus a nice profit for the
> >> insurance company.
> >>

> > oh, THAT was your point.

> Yeah, go figure. LOL

It was graham's point.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

In article >, says...

> "graham" > wrote in message

> >> Sorry, but it does, also the contents.
> >>
> >> Cheri

> > NO! Note I said payment! Your paltry annual fee does NOT match the amount
> > the insurance company would have to pay out!

> So what? My comment was that Canadian health care isn't free, it's paid for
> with taxes/fees etc. so your barking is just tiresome at this point.

Don't be a child. What he said whooshed over your head. That can happen.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Tue, 30 Aug 2016 19:19:38 -0600, graham > wrote:

>On 8/30/2016 6:12 PM, wrote:
>> On Wed, 31 Aug 2016 08:02:20 +1000, Bruce >
>> wrote:
>>
>>> In article >,

says...

says...

wrote:

>>> When you say 'pension' do you mean what everybody gets when they reach
>>> 65 or 67 or so?

>> Yes, the pensions you work for, apart from the national pension. I
>> was talking to our mail man today, there is currently strife between
>> the post office management and the union, he's okay, he'll get his but
>> I understand that new people coming into the post office will have no
>> guarantees in future as to what their pensions will be. In other
>> words, big corps are trying to shed any responsibilities or guarantees
>> as to what the pension deductions will mean to young people when they
>> actually retire.
>>
>> All employees have Canada Pension deductions but I wouldn't want to
>> have to exist on simply that alone.
>>

>Not quite like that!
>They proposed that new hires sign on to a defined contribution pension
>plan and not what has become an unsustainable defined benefit plan.
>I wish the feds and provincial politicos had the guts to bring that in
>for all public servants.
>Graham

He was telling me he was on two weeks vacation when they called him
back in, no reason given. I feel employers behaving like bullies is
not in anyones best interest. See it all the time though, seems to be
the way of the world now.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

wrote:

> >> Yep, there are very few uninsured hypochondriacs, on the other hand it's
> >> pretty amazing how the body heals itself in many cases when one is
> >> uninsured.

> >Every civilised country should have free healthcare, public transport
> >and beer. Few do.

> Definitely free healthcare, that's a sacred cow in Canada and
> politicians try to monkey with it at their peril, but I also feel
> guaranteed pensions are good too. Seems now all the major
> corporations are trying to do away with them, not fair, another way
> the 1% see to grab more for themselves.

How would small companies (I work for one with fewer than 50 employees)
manage defined-benefit pensions? We've got a 401K, but they stopped
matching funds about 25 years ago so all I've got is what I put in
(and market returns, of course). My husband does better; he's worked
for somewhat larger companies and he's always had a 2% - 4% match.

Cindy Hamilton
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Wed, 31 Aug 2016 03:26:00 -0700 (PDT), Cindy Hamilton

wrote:

>> >Every civilised country should have free healthcare, public transport
>> >and beer. Few do.

>> Definitely free healthcare, that's a sacred cow in Canada and
>> politicians try to monkey with it at their peril, but I also feel
>> guaranteed pensions are good too. Seems now all the major
>> corporations are trying to do away with them, not fair, another way
>> the 1% see to grab more for themselves.

>How would small companies (I work for one with fewer than 50 employees)
>manage defined-benefit pensions? We've got a 401K, but they stopped
>matching funds about 25 years ago so all I've got is what I put in
>(and market returns, of course). My husband does better; he's worked
>for somewhat larger companies and he's always had a 2% - 4% match.
>
>Cindy Hamilton

Clearly small companies can't compete in that area, but the Post
Office is a big corporation, and they are just one of that ilk. I
think the biggies have squeezed the ordinary population for all they
were worth and now they look at the potential pensions and think why
not, there is more money for our bottom line there.

Back in the early 70s I had a big fight with the corporation I worked
for when I found that I was putting in $10 per monthly pay cheque for
my pension and they contributed $2.50 but FOR A MAN they were
contributing $5, even though his job was not as responsible as mine!
What made it worse, the union supported that and seemingly did not
understand my objections. Both corp. and union said that was because
it was different for women, they had husbands!!

Nowadays I think they want to ditch pensions, increase their bottom
line and to hell with employees. The sad part is that young people
can't look into the future and see themselves at 65 and during the
years there are kids to pay for etc it is very tough to find extra to
put away. When it was a deduction, it was easier.

I know my views are often considered as socialist but so be it.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

wrote:

>>> Yep, there are very few uninsured hypochondriacs, on the other hand it's
>>> pretty amazing how the body heals itself in many cases when one is
>>> uninsured.

>>Every civilised country should have free healthcare, public transport
>>and beer. Few do.

> Definitely free healthcare, that's a sacred cow in Canada and
> politicians try to monkey with it at their peril, but I also feel
> guaranteed pensions are good too. Seems now all the major
> corporations are trying to do away with them, not fair, another way
> the 1% see to grab more for themselves.

I agree about health care, but...it's not free it paid for by taxes and
fees.

Cheri
=======

Of course, but all the years I was working I was paying in not only for
myself but for everyone else to. Now those that come after me are paying
for themselves and us too

Nothing in life is free.

--
http://www.helpforheroes.org.uk

Posted to rec.food.cooking

wrote:

> >> Yep, there are very few uninsured hypochondriacs, on the other hand
> >> it's
> >> pretty amazing how the body heals itself in many cases when one is
> >> uninsured.

> >Every civilised country should have free healthcare, public transport
> >and beer. Few do.

> Definitely free healthcare, that's a sacred cow in Canada and
> politicians try to monkey with it at their peril, but I also feel
> guaranteed pensions are good too. Seems now all the major
> corporations are trying to do away with them, not fair, another way
> the 1% see to grab more for themselves.

How would small companies (I work for one with fewer than 50 employees)
manage defined-benefit pensions? We've got a 401K, but they stopped
matching funds about 25 years ago so all I've got is what I put in
(and market returns, of course). My husband does better; he's worked
for somewhat larger companies and he's always had a 2% - 4% match.

Cindy Hamilton

============

They do he

https://www.gov.uk/...pensions/what-...government-pay

3 Dec 2015 - you put in £40; your employer puts in £30; you get £10 tax
relief. A total of £80 goes into your pension each payday.

--
http://www.helpforheroes.org.uk

Posted to rec.food.cooking

wrote:

> > >Every civilised country should have free healthcare, public transport
> > >and beer. Few do.

> > Definitely free healthcare, that's a sacred cow in Canada and
> > politicians try to monkey with it at their peril, but I also feel
> > guaranteed pensions are good too. Seems now all the major
> > corporations are trying to do away with them, not fair, another way
> > the 1% see to grab more for themselves.

> How would small companies (I work for one with fewer than 50 employees)
> manage defined-benefit pensions? We've got a 401K, but they stopped
> matching funds about 25 years ago so all I've got is what I put in
> (and market returns, of course). My husband does better; he's worked
> for somewhat larger companies and he's always had a 2% - 4% match.
>
> Cindy Hamilton
>
> ============
>
> They do he

https://www.gov.uk/...pensions/what-...government-pay

> 3 Dec 2015 - you put in £40; your employer puts in £30; you get £10 tax
> relief. A total of £80 goes into your pension each payday.

The Social Security tax is currently 6.2% (of wages) paid by the individual
and 6.2% paid by the employer. It's not subject to income tax.

Workplace pensions are of two sorts: defined-benefit (which are going
the way of the dodo bird) and defined-contribution. The 401-K is the
latter type, and employers are free to change the terms of their
contributions, as mine did. There are two types of 401-K plans:
one is taxed at the time of the contribution (as if it were ordinary
income) and the other is taxed at the time that the money is withdrawn.

Cindy Hamilton