Posted to rec.food.cooking

Default Bean burrito in mw time?

I used to make bean burritos all the time in the mw - refried beans, cheese
and meat, if I have any leftover, in half a folded large tortilla. Haven't
made one in a very long time. Finally made one yesterday - 4 min. Disaster!
Much much too long. About what is the right timing for this? 1 1/2 minutes?

In my old age need to write these things down. Little memory left.

TIA

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On 16 Jul 2016 14:01:00 GMT, KenK > wrote:

>I used to make bean burritos all the time in the mw - refried beans, cheese
>and meat, if I have any leftover, in half a folded large tortilla. Haven't
>made one in a very long time. Finally made one yesterday - 4 min. Disaster!
>Much much too long. About what is the right timing for this? 1 1/2 minutes?
>
>In my old age need to write these things down. Little memory left.
>
>TIA

just make a run to Taco Bell

Willliam
Posted to rec.food.cooking

KenK wrote in rec.food.cooking:

> I used to make bean burritos all the time in the mw - refried beans,
> cheese and meat, if I have any leftover, in half a folded large
> tortilla. Haven't made one in a very long time. Finally made one
> yesterday - 4 min. Disaster! Much much too long. About what is the
> right timing for this? 1 1/2 minutes?
>
> In my old age need to write these things down. Little memory left.
>
> TIA

Hi KenK,

About 1.5 minutes is right. In fact, if it helps, usually bursts of 1
to 1.5 minutes then check, works for most things in a microwave when
reheating a basic cooked item (refried beans and leftover meat).

Carol

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On 2016-07-16, KenK > wrote:

> In my old age need to write these things down. Little memory left.

Write this down:

*Nuke a burritos worth of refried beans.

*Heat a large flour tortilla on yer stove top, ina skillet/camal.

*Put the beans --I add salsa and sour cream-- on the heated tortilla.

*Roll/fold

*Eat

nb

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On 16 Jul 2016 14:01:00 GMT, KenK > wrote:

> I used to make bean burritos all the time in the mw - refried beans, cheese
> and meat, if I have any leftover, in half a folded large tortilla. Haven't
> made one in a very long time. Finally made one yesterday - 4 min. Disaster!
> Much much too long. About what is the right timing for this? 1 1/2 minutes?
>
> In my old age need to write these things down. Little memory left.
>
> TIA

I don't like the texture of a microwaved tortilla so my suggestion is
to heat your beans in the mw as you heat your tortilla in a pan and
then assemble it.

--

sf

Posted to rec.food.cooking

"KenK" > wrote in message

> I used to make bean burritos all the time in the mw - refried beans,
> cheese
> and meat, if I have any leftover, in half a folded large tortilla. Haven't
> made one in a very long time. Finally made one yesterday - 4 min.
> Disaster!
> Much much too long. About what is the right timing for this? 1 1/2
> minutes?
>
> In my old age need to write these things down. Little memory left.
>
> TIA

I make these all the time but the microwave time depends on how cold the
beans and tortillas are. If both are at room temp. and it is 70 degrees or
more, then it might only take 30 seconds. If the beans are at room temp. but
the tortilla has been in the fridge, then I might add 5-10 seconds to that.
I have gone as long as 2 minutes with cold beans but I run the risk of
having an overcooked tortilla.

The advice I always give my daughter, is to start at 30 seconds and go from
there. You can always add time but if you go for too long, you lose. The
exceptions to this would be small amounts of butter or margarine or bread
products. For those, I would start at 10 seconds.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

"l not -l" > wrote in message

> On 16-Jul-2016, KenK > wrote:
>
>> I used to make bean burritos all the time in the mw - refried beans,
>> cheese
>> and meat, if I have any leftover, in half a folded large tortilla.
>> Haven't
>>
>> made one in a very long time. Finally made one yesterday - 4 min.
>> Disaster!
>> Much much too long. About what is the right timing for this? 1 1/2
>> minutes?
>>
>> In my old age need to write these things down. Little memory left.

> Why use the microwave for this? Time, convenience??? When using the
> microwave for heating things, I prefer to be safe rather than fast. I
> normally would start out at half-power for a few seconds, then, depending
> on
> the result of that, increase or decrease power, again in shorter bursts,
> flipping the food over between active heating.
>
> However, burritos are not something I would make, in totality, in the
> microwave; The various ingredients heat at different rates and when one
> is
> done others need more time. You end up with parts overdone while other
> parts are underdone and maybe some incinerated.
>
> I would reheat refried beans(or beef and beans) as above. Warm the
> tortilla over a burner to make it warm and pliable. Then spread the beans
> on the burrito, add cheese and pepper slices. Fold/roll burrito and
> finally, place the burrito in a non-stick pan, seam down, and heat until
> lightly browned, rotate and do the same on all sides - that melts the
> cheese. Move to plate, top with salsa and sour cream or whatever.

Of course that would be best. But do I do mine that way? No. I do mine in
the microwave because I need to eat and it's near instant food. I don't call
mine burritos though but tacos since they are folded in half.

I wouldn't use this method for someone else. But if I am eating them
quickly, it doesn't matter to me what they look like.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On 16 Jul 2016 14:01:00 GMT, KenK > wrote:

>I used to make bean burritos all the time in the mw - refried beans, cheese
>and meat, if I have any leftover, in half a folded large tortilla. Haven't
>made one in a very long time. Finally made one yesterday - 4 min. Disaster!
>Much much too long. About what is the right timing for this? 1 1/2 minutes?
>
>In my old age need to write these things down. Little memory left.
>
>TIA

I usually go with 45 t0 55 seconds but somrtimes the cheese in the
middle isn't melted. Longer and they get too hot.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

"cshenk" > wrote in newsZ6dnTjtdcHowhfKnZ2dnUU7-
:

> About 1.5 minutes is right.

Perfect! Thank you very much Carol!