Posted to rec.food.cooking

Default Bean burrito recipe

A Mexican neighbor gave me a bean burrito with some scrambled rice & eggs.
I loved the burrito and asked her about it. She said brown some chorizo,
add refried beans, spoon onto tortilla, wrap and fry. I tried it but it was
very hot and very salty. Hers was not. (I used mild chorizo - couldn't find
any plain.) I asked and evidently she makes her own refried beans and
chorizo. Too much effort as I rarely eat either. This was just a plain
burrito - bean mixture and tortilla - no sauce, tomato, lettuce, etc.

Any guesses or suggestions on how to make these? I couldn't find anything
with Google. They tasted a lot like a bean burrito I had once in Mexican a
restaurant, but I eat out very rarely, and they are probably different in
each.

Oh, the rice & eggs? She said mix cooked rice and eggs in a bowl and
prepare like scrambled eggs. This was very good but I've not tried making
it yet. I'll probably ruin it too.

TIA

Ken

Posted to rec.food.cooking
aem aem is offline

On Sep 8, 9:49*am, Ken > wrote:
> A Mexican neighbor gave me a bean burrito with some scrambled rice & eggs..
> I loved the burrito and asked her about it. She said brown some chorizo,
> add refried beans, spoon onto tortilla, wrap and fry. I tried it but it was
> very hot and very salty. Hers was not. (I used mild chorizo - couldn't find
> any plain.) I asked and evidently she makes her own refried beans and
> chorizo. Too much effort as I rarely eat either. This was just a plain
> burrito - bean mixture and tortilla - no sauce, tomato, lettuce, etc.
>
> Any guesses or suggestions on how to make these?

Stay good friends with your neighbor and let her know you appreciate
the work that goes into her food. She makes her own chorizo and her
own beans and her own rice (you didn't say if it was Mexican or plain
white). You can't duplicate the quality and taste of what she has on
hand to put in a burrito without a good deal of effort, which you say
you don't want to exert. -aem
Posted to rec.food.cooking

Ken wrote:
> A Mexican neighbor gave me a bean burrito with some scrambled rice & eggs.
> I loved the burrito and asked her about it. She said brown some chorizo,
> add refried beans, spoon onto tortilla, wrap and fry. I tried it but it was
> very hot and very salty. Hers was not. (I used mild chorizo - couldn't find
> any plain.) I asked and evidently she makes her own refried beans and
> chorizo. Too much effort as I rarely eat either. This was just a plain
> burrito - bean mixture and tortilla - no sauce, tomato, lettuce, etc.
>
> Any guesses or suggestions on how to make these? I couldn't find anything
> with Google. They tasted a lot like a bean burrito I had once in Mexican a
> restaurant, but I eat out very rarely, and they are probably different in
> each.
>
> Oh, the rice & eggs? She said mix cooked rice and eggs in a bowl and
> prepare like scrambled eggs. This was very good but I've not tried making
> it yet. I'll probably ruin it too.
>
> TIA
>
> Ken

I just made some for my son and DIL when I was in Jersey. DIL does not
eat spicy food. This is NOT an authentic Border or Mexican recipe. I
used to make this for my kids and it was one of their favorites.

1 can vegetarian re-fried beans
3 Italian sweet sausages
1 8 oz. package shredded Monterey Jack Cheese ( I used reduced fat)
1 teaspoon granulated garlic
1 tablespoon chili powder
1/2 teaspoon ground cumin
cooking spray
white flour tortillas (whatever size you want) at room temperature.
jarred salsa
sour cream
Garnishes: sliced black olives, quacamole, pico do gallo, etc..

Cut the skins off the sausages and brown them in a skillet. Pour off
some of the rendered fat, but not all of it. Add the can of beans and
the seasonings (which you can adapt to taste)stir until combined. Add
1/2 of the bad of cheese. Saute gently until the cheese is melted and
everything is uniform and beginning to bubble.

Spray an oblong Pyrex baking dish with cooking spray. fill the room
temperature tortillas with the bean, sausage and cheese mixture. Roll
them up, tucking in the ends. Place the burritos, seam-side down, in the
baking dish, top with the remainder of the package of cheese. Cover with
plastic wrap and place in the microwave on power level 8 until the
cheese melts (about 2-3 minutes).

Serve with salsa, sour cream and any other garnish of your choice.

--
Janet Wilder
Bad spelling. Bad punctuation
Posted to rec.food.cooking

Ken wrote:
> A Mexican neighbor gave me a bean burrito with some scrambled rice & eggs.
> I loved the burrito and asked her about it. She said brown some chorizo,
> add refried beans, spoon onto tortilla, wrap and fry. I tried it but it was
> very hot and very salty. Hers was not. (I used mild chorizo - couldn't find
> any plain.) I asked and evidently she makes her own refried beans and
> chorizo. Too much effort as I rarely eat either. This was just a plain
> burrito - bean mixture and tortilla - no sauce, tomato, lettuce, etc.
>
> Any guesses or suggestions on how to make these? I couldn't find anything
> with Google. They tasted a lot like a bean burrito I had once in Mexican a
> restaurant, but I eat out very rarely, and they are probably different in
> each.
>
> Oh, the rice & eggs? She said mix cooked rice and eggs in a bowl and
> prepare like scrambled eggs. This was very good but I've not tried making
> it yet. I'll probably ruin it too.
>
> TIA
>
> Ken
>

> try doing it this way:

1. fry a small piece of chorizo by itself, (making sure you take off
the casing) with a small amount of bacon grease or crisco in the pan,
breaking up the chorizo while it's cooking. move it to the side of
the pan, tilting the pan, and squeeze as much of the grease out as
possible. Take out all but two tablespoons of the grease, (save the
rest for the refried beans), add a couple of eggs & scramble the
chorizo & eggs together until the eggs are cooked to the way you like
them.

2. put the egg & chorizo mixture into a bowl, and add the plain
cooked rice and mix it together.

3. take the left over grease from the chorizo (it should be a reddish
color) back into the frying pan, when this grease is hot then put a
small can of refried beans into the frying pan and mix it up very
well. now you are ready to make your burrito.

4. take a big flour tortilla that you have heated up, spread the bean
mixture into it, and on top of the bean mixture, add some shredded
cheese, and the egg & chorizo mixture. fold the tortilla into a
burrito, and eat immediately, or you can fry it if you want to do so.

you can buy chorizo in most super markets, and a little goes a long
way.

harriet & critter (j j who is waiting for his dinner)
Posted to rec.food.cooking

mequeenbe.nospam wrote:

> 1. fry a small piece of chorizo by itself, (making sure you take off
> the casing) with a small amount of bacon grease or crisco in the pan,
> breaking up the chorizo while it's cooking.

Why would you want to use bqacon grease or Crisco to cook choriso?
It's already 60-70% fat and it renders out quickly. I cant see
adding *more* fat to it.

-sw

Posted to rec.food.cooking

Sqwertz wrote:

> mequeenbe.nospam wrote:
>
> > 1. fry a small piece of chorizo by itself, (making sure you take off
> > the casing) with a small amount of bacon grease or crisco in the pan,
> > breaking up the chorizo while it's cooking.

> Why would you want to use bqacon grease or Crisco to cook choriso?
> It's already 60-70% fat and it renders out quickly. I cant see
> adding *more* fat to it.

That's true of traditional chorizo, the type made with
beef lips, salivary glands, etc.

I've recently found another type, which is all pork
and less fat than dry salami. I've seen it in
Whole Foods and other upscale supermarkets. The
wrapper seems to have gone out with the trash,
so I'm not sure of the brand. It might be Fra'Mani.
It comes in a yellow paper wrapper with a dark maroon
label.

I really like this on a slice of a sourdough baguette.
I'm pretty sure you couldn't make a proper chorizo omelet
with it, though, because it has too little fat of its own.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

Mark Thorson wrote:

> I've recently found another type, which is all pork
> and less fat than dry salami. I've seen it in
> Whole Foods and other upscale supermarkets. The
> wrapper seems to have gone out with the trash,
> so I'm not sure of the brand. It might be Fra'Mani.
> It comes in a yellow paper wrapper with a dark maroon
> label.

It is Fra'Mani. I just found their website:

http://www.framani.com/

You'd think it would have come up in my Google search,
but I found the link on some guy's blog. Google found
many restaurants and reviews touting the company, but
the actual company's web site didn't hit on either of
my searches.
Posted to rec.food.cooking
aem aem is offline

On Sep 9, 10:57*am, Mark Thorson > wrote:
> Sqwertz wrote:
>
> > mequeenbe.nospam wrote:

> > > 1. *fry a small piece of chorizo by itself, (making sure you take off
> > > the casing) with a small amount of bacon grease or crisco in the pan,
> > > breaking up the chorizo while it's cooking.

> > Why would you want to use bqacon grease or Crisco to cook choriso?
> > * It's already 60-70% fat and it renders out quickly. *I cant see
> > adding *more* fat to it.

> That's true of traditional chorizo, the type made with
> beef lips, salivary glands, etc.
>
> I've recently found another type, which is all pork
> and less fat than dry salami.

The distinction is between Mexican chorizo and Spanish style. This
new brand you've found is making Spanish style chorizo (though their
focus seems to be Italian). Might be good stuff but not what is being
used in the OP burrito. I use the Spanish style in a version of arroz
con pollo to good effect. -aem

..

Posted to rec.food.cooking

Sqwertz wrote:
> mequeenbe.nospam wrote:
>
> > 1. fry a small piece of chorizo by itself, (making sure you take off
> > the casing) with a small amount of bacon grease or crisco in the pan,
> > breaking up the chorizo while it's cooking.

> Why would you want to use bqacon grease or Crisco to cook choriso?
> It's already 60-70% fat and it renders out quickly. I cant see
> adding *more* fat to it.
>
> -sw

very simple, because you want to have extra fat to put into the
refried beans, and it's needed to help fry the scrambled eggs. at
least that's what my mexican mother-in-law did and done this way, the
mexican style chorizo and eggs comes out wonderful.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

Mark Thorson wrote:
> Sqwertz wrote:
>>
>> mequeenbe.nospam wrote:
>>
>>> 1. fry a small piece of chorizo by itself, (making sure you take
>>> off the casing) with a small amount of bacon grease or crisco in
>>> the pan, breaking up the chorizo while it's cooking.

>> Why would you want to use bqacon grease or Crisco to cook choriso?
>> It's already 60-70% fat and it renders out quickly. I cant see
>> adding *more* fat to it.

> That's true of traditional chorizo, the type made with
> beef lips, salivary glands, etc.
>
> I've recently found another type, which is all pork
> and less fat than dry salami. I've seen it in
> Whole Foods and other upscale supermarkets. The
> wrapper seems to have gone out with the trash,
> so I'm not sure of the brand. It might be Fra'Mani.
> It comes in a yellow paper wrapper with a dark maroon
> label.
>
> I really like this on a slice of a sourdough baguette.
> I'm pretty sure you couldn't make a proper chorizo omelet
> with it, though, because it has too little fat of its own.

We have a friend in Belgium who took a trip to Spain and found the type of
Chorizo that you're talking about, Mark. He sent a ..... what do you call
it, a log? ..... of it to us. The texture was very much like a hard salami.
I deduced (perhaps incorrectly) that the hard salami-type of Chorizo was
Spanish and the red-stained loose, greasy "meat" was Mexican.

kili

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Tue, 09 Sep 2008 11:00:56 -0700, Mark Thorson wrote:

> Mark Thorson wrote:
>>
>> I've recently found another type, which is all pork
>> and less fat than dry salami. I've seen it in
>> Whole Foods and other upscale supermarkets. The
>> wrapper seems to have gone out with the trash,
>> so I'm not sure of the brand. It might be Fra'Mani.
>> It comes in a yellow paper wrapper with a dark maroon
>> label.

> It is Fra'Mani. I just found their website:
>
> http://www.framani.com/
>
> You'd think it would have come up in my Google search,
> but I found the link on some guy's blog. Google found
> many restaurants and reviews touting the company, but
> the actual company's web site didn't hit on either of
> my searches.

i used to see this stuff all over the place, until i last went looking for
it, when of course it had disappeared. i think it's referred to as
spanish-style chorizo, and it is different.

but there are apparently two stores in d.c. selling it. the stuff i used
to see wan't horribly expensive; from the two stores mentioned, i fear it
will be.

your pal,
blake
Posted to rec.food.cooking

kilikini wrote:

> We have a friend in Belgium who took a trip to Spain and found the type of
> Chorizo that you're talking about, Mark. He sent a ..... what do you call
> it, a log? ..... of it to us. The texture was very much like a hard salami.
> I deduced (perhaps incorrectly) that the hard salami-type of Chorizo was
> Spanish and the red-stained loose, greasy "meat" was Mexican.

Isn't it still illegal for individuals to import meat
from Europe into the U.S.? I know it was completely
illegal for many years, but two or three decades ago
the laws were relaxed, which allowed genuine Parma
prosciutto to come to the U.S. But I think that only
applies to commercial importers, not individuals.

There was a movie starring Sophia Loren which had
her trying to bring a mortadella into the U.S.
and being stopped by customs.

http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0068970/
Posted to rec.food.cooking

Mark Thorson wrote:
> kilikini wrote:
>>
>> We have a friend in Belgium who took a trip to Spain and found the
>> type of Chorizo that you're talking about, Mark. He sent a .....
>> what do you call it, a log? ..... of it to us. The texture was very
>> much like a hard salami. I deduced (perhaps incorrectly) that the
>> hard salami-type of Chorizo was Spanish and the red-stained loose,
>> greasy "meat" was Mexican.

> Isn't it still illegal for individuals to import meat
> from Europe into the U.S.? I know it was completely
> illegal for many years, but two or three decades ago
> the laws were relaxed, which allowed genuine Parma
> prosciutto to come to the U.S. But I think that only
> applies to commercial importers, not individuals.
>
> There was a movie starring Sophia Loren which had
> her trying to bring a mortadella into the U.S.
> and being stopped by customs.
>
> http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0068970/

It may be illegal, I'm not sure, but it got here. It was in a box of
Christmas presents, so it probably got overlooked. My husband was ecstatic
when he saw it in the box. I don't think it lasted more than a day or two.

kili