Posted to rec.food.cooking

Default Bean burrito additions?

I try to eat a lot of fiber and bean burritos are one way. I've been making
them for years with hot refried beans and Velveeta. Finally got tired of
that. Lately tried chicken breast with and without cheese. Tried sharp
cheddar. Not great. Any suggestions? Salsa? Taco sauce? Ideally something
common that I likely already have.

As you can tell, I'm not very adventurous on my own.

Tried Google but didn't see anthing - probably wrong search phrase.

TIA

--
I love a good meal! So I don't cook.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

Salsa and taco sauce are tasty on the side. I like some chopped onion
and green onions, maybe tomatoes. Jalapeno peppers are good.

Tara
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On 29 Jul 2014 16:50:11 GMT, KenK > wrote:

>I try to eat a lot of fiber and bean burritos are one way. I've been making
>them for years with hot refried beans and Velveeta. Finally got tired of
>that. Lately tried chicken breast with and without cheese. Tried sharp
>cheddar. Not great. Any suggestions? Salsa? Taco sauce? Ideally something
>common that I likely already have.
>
>As you can tell, I'm not very adventurous on my own.
>
>Tried Google but didn't see anthing - probably wrong search phrase.
>
>TIA

rice, flavored rice, scrambled eggs and potatoes, treat it like tacos
-- tomatoes, lettuce, cheese, taco sauce. Green onion or diced onion,
avocado, shredded cabbage. Shredded pork or chicken in a sauce. Just
about anything that catches your fancy
Janet US
Posted to rec.food.cooking

KenK wrote:

> I try to eat a lot of fiber and bean burritos are one way. I've been making
> them for years with hot refried beans and Velveeta. Finally got tired of
> that. Lately tried chicken breast with and without cheese. Tried sharp
> cheddar. Not great. Any suggestions? Salsa? Taco sauce? Ideally something
> common that I likely already have.
>
> As you can tell, I'm not very adventurous on my own.
>
> Tried Google but didn't see anthing - probably wrong search phrase.

Try sautéed spinach and onions and mushrooms and cheese.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On 7/29/2014 2:02 PM, Pete C. wrote:

> KenK wrote:
>>
>> I try to eat a lot of fiber and bean burritos are one way. I've been making
>> them for years with hot refried beans and Velveeta. Finally got tired of
>> that. Lately tried chicken breast with and without cheese. Tried sharp
>> cheddar. Not great. Any suggestions? Salsa? Taco sauce? Ideally something
>> common that I likely already have.
>>
>> As you can tell, I'm not very adventurous on my own.
>>
>> Tried Google but didn't see anthing - probably wrong search phrase.

> Try sautéed spinach and onions and mushrooms and cheese.

Plain chicken can be boring in a burrito. With enough water to cover,
boil a dried ancho and maybe a guajillo chili, along with a piece of
onion and a couple of cloves of garlic. After the water comes to a boil,
turn the heat off and wait for 30 minutes so the peppers will get soft.
Dump the vegetables and some of the liquid into a blender and blend
until smooth. Shred the chicken, then add enough of the chili sauce to
make it moist. Add a little salt and then taste for seasonings. Try it,
you'll like it. This chili sauce can be frozen for future use.

Becca

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On 29 Jul 2014 16:50:11 GMT, KenK > wrote:

> I try to eat a lot of fiber and bean burritos are one way. I've been making
> them for years with hot refried beans and Velveeta. Finally got tired of
> that. Lately tried chicken breast with and without cheese. Tried sharp
> cheddar. Not great. Any suggestions? Salsa? Taco sauce? Ideally something
> common that I likely already have.
>
> As you can tell, I'm not very adventurous on my own.
>
> Tried Google but didn't see anthing - probably wrong search phrase.

Try Googling: vegetarian burrito recipe... of course you can always
add meat if you have any leftovers to use up.

Do you change your beans or switch between whole and refried? Have
you ever tried avocado in your burrito? You could use slices or make
guacamole. If you want a change of cheese, try Pepper Jack or Cheddar
Jack. I'm pretty sure your store will have them in stock. I also
think a fresh salsa will work for you. Buy it from the refrigerated
section. Pico de Gallo is nice for the summer, but I usually buy
refrigerated medium or hot salsa year 'round. I'd also suggest
chopping up some green onions. Instead of green onions, a nice flavor
combo that I like is onion (the regular kind, diced) and cilantro.

--
I take life with a grain of salt, a slice of lemon and a shot of tequila
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On 7/29/2014 11:50 AM, KenK wrote:
> I try to eat a lot of fiber and bean burritos are one way. I've been making
> them for years with hot refried beans and Velveeta. Finally got tired of
> that. Lately tried chicken breast with and without cheese. Tried sharp
> cheddar. Not great. Any suggestions? Salsa? Taco sauce? Ideally something
> common that I likely already have.
>
> As you can tell, I'm not very adventurous on my own.
>
> Tried Google but didn't see anthing - probably wrong search phrase.
>
> TIA

This how my kids loved burritos:

I would make home made refritos (refried beans) and mix them with
sauteed onion, a little green pepper and some chili powder and garlic.
I'd add a solid handful or two of shredded Monterrey Jack cheese to the
beans and if I was feeling extravagant, some ground sausage meat that
was browned separately. Mexican chorizo, not Spanish chorizo, would
work great.

That mixture would be stuffed into tortillas and rolled. Cover the
whole thing with more shredded Jack cheese, put it all in a big
microwave-safe glass pan and cover it with Saran, then nuke at a low
power until the cheese melts.

Toppings were salsa, sour cream, raw onions, avocado (for the grown ups).

Velveeta cheese entered our home once a year for the Constitutionally
required Super Bowl mix with the Rotel tomatoes. Any leftover Velveeta
was used to hide the dog's heartworm pill. He loved that stupid fake
cheese.

I've visited my son over the years and he always asks me to make them
for him.

--
From somewhere very deep in the heart of Texas
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On 7/29/2014 3:12 PM, Ema Nymton wrote:
> On 7/29/2014 2:02 PM, Pete C. wrote:
>>
>> KenK wrote:
>>>
>>> I try to eat a lot of fiber and bean burritos are one way. I've been
>>> making
>>> them for years with hot refried beans and Velveeta. Finally got tired of
>>> that. Lately tried chicken breast with and without cheese. Tried sharp
>>> cheddar. Not great. Any suggestions? Salsa? Taco sauce? Ideally
>>> something
>>> common that I likely already have.
>>>
>>> As you can tell, I'm not very adventurous on my own.
>>>
>>> Tried Google but didn't see anthing - probably wrong search phrase.

>> Try sautéed spinach and onions and mushrooms and cheese.

> Plain chicken can be boring in a burrito. With enough water to cover,
> boil a dried ancho and maybe a guajillo chili, along with a piece of
> onion and a couple of cloves of garlic. After the water comes to a boil,
> turn the heat off and wait for 30 minutes so the peppers will get soft.
> Dump the vegetables and some of the liquid into a blender and blend
> until smooth. Shred the chicken, then add enough of the chili sauce to
> make it moist. Add a little salt and then taste for seasonings. Try it,
> you'll like it. This chili sauce can be frozen for future use.
>
> Becca

If it's easier than Becca's recipe, buy a can of red enchilada sauce.
Heat the chicken in a pan and add onions, peppers, whatever you like.
Add some of the red sauce to make it moist.

Take a second, small skillet and pour in some of the sauce. Take your
tortillas and heat them in the sauce, turning them after a minute. Then
stuff and roll, cover with the remaining sauce and cheese. Heat in the
oven, toaster oven or gently nuke at a low power.

--
From somewhere very deep in the heart of Texas
Posted to rec.food.cooking

Janet Wilder wrote:

> On 7/29/2014 3:12 PM, Ema Nymton wrote:

> >> Try sautéed spinach and onions and mushrooms and cheese.

> > Plain chicken can be boring in a burrito. With enough water to cover,
> > boil a dried ancho and maybe a guajillo chili, along with a piece of
> > onion and a couple of cloves of garlic. After the water comes to a boil,
> > turn the heat off and wait for 30 minutes so the peppers will get soft.
> > Dump the vegetables and some of the liquid into a blender and blend
> > until smooth. Shred the chicken, then add enough of the chili sauce to
> > make it moist. Add a little salt and then taste for seasonings. Try it,
> > you'll like it. This chili sauce can be frozen for future use.
> >
> > Becca
> >

> If it's easier than Becca's recipe, buy a can of red enchilada sauce.
> Heat the chicken in a pan and add onions, peppers, whatever you like.
> Add some of the red sauce to make it moist.

Yes, easier and similar.

> Take a second, small skillet and pour in some of the sauce. Take your
> tortillas and heat them in the sauce, turning them after a minute. Then
> stuff and roll, cover with the remaining sauce and cheese. Heat in the
> oven, toaster oven or gently nuke at a low power.

Good for enchiladas (corn tortillas), bad for burritos (flour
tortillas). Try just warming the tortillas over a gas burner for a few
seconds before filling and rolling.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Tuesday, July 29, 2014 3:12:21 PM UTC-5, Ema Nymton wrote:
> On 7/29/2014 2:02 PM, Pete C. wrote:
>

> > KenK wrote:

> >> I try to eat a lot of fiber and bean burritos are one way. I've been making

> >> them for years with hot refried beans and Velveeta. Finally got tired of

> >> that. Lately tried chicken breast with and without cheese. Tried sharp

> >> cheddar. Not great. Any suggestions? Salsa? Taco sauce? Ideally something

> >> common that I likely already have.

> >> As you can tell, I'm not very adventurous on my own.

> >> Tried Google but didn't see anthing - probably wrong search phrase.

> > Try saut�ed spinach and onions and mushrooms and cheese.

> Plain chicken can be boring in a burrito. With enough water to cover,
>
> boil a dried ancho and maybe a guajillo chili, along with a piece of
>
> onion and a couple of cloves of garlic.

Becca, this dude makes burritos with freakin' Velveeta. Chances are he doesn't know what an ancho even is, much less a guajillo.

KenK is either a troll or an idiot.

> Becca

--Bryan

Posted to rec.food.cooking

"KenK" > wrote in message
>I try to eat a lot of fiber and bean burritos are one way. I've been making
> them for years with hot refried beans and Velveeta. Finally got tired of
> that. Lately tried chicken breast with and without cheese. Tried sharp
> cheddar. Not great. Any suggestions? Salsa? Taco sauce? Ideally something
> common that I likely already have.
>
> As you can tell, I'm not very adventurous on my own.
>
> Tried Google but didn't see anthing - probably wrong search phrase.
>
> TIA

I don't put cheese in mine but if I did, I would for sure use a Mexican
cheese. Gotta have some chopped onions and a really good taco sauce inside.

I also love them smothered with more taco sauce or enchilada sauce or even
salsa or tomato sauce if I have nothing else. More chopped onion. Or
slices of white onion and green pepper. Cilantro. Chopped tomatoes if not
using salsa. And if you use cheese, put cheese on top.

You could also try whole pinto beans. One of my favorites is served
smothered but has nothing inside of it but the beans. Shredded lettuce on
the side is good too as are black olives.

If you can't find Mexican cheese where you are at, use Monterrey Jack.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

"Bryan-TGWWW" > wrote in message

Becca, this dude makes burritos with freakin' Velveeta. Chances are he
doesn't know what an ancho even is, much less a guajillo.

KenK is either a troll or an idiot.

I think they make Velveeta with peppers in it!

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On 7/29/2014 7:10 PM, Pete C. wrote:

> Janet Wilder wrote:

>>> Plain chicken can be boring in a burrito. With enough water to cover,
>>> boil a dried ancho and maybe a guajillo chili, along with a piece of
>>> onion and a couple of cloves of garlic. After the water comes to a boil,
>>> turn the heat off and wait for 30 minutes so the peppers will get soft.
>>> Dump the vegetables and some of the liquid into a blender and blend
>>> until smooth. Shred the chicken, then add enough of the chili sauce to
>>> make it moist. Add a little salt and then taste for seasonings. Try it,
>>> you'll like it. This chili sauce can be frozen for future use.
>>>
>>> Becca
>>>

>> If it's easier than Becca's recipe, buy a can of red enchilada sauce.
>> Heat the chicken in a pan and add onions, peppers, whatever you like.
>> Add some of the red sauce to make it moist.

> Yes, easier and similar.
>

>> Take a second, small skillet and pour in some of the sauce. Take your
>> tortillas and heat them in the sauce, turning them after a minute. Then
>> stuff and roll, cover with the remaining sauce and cheese. Heat in the
>> oven, toaster oven or gently nuke at a low power.

> Good for enchiladas (corn tortillas), bad for burritos (flour
> tortillas). Try just warming the tortillas over a gas burner for a few
> seconds before filling and rolling.

Works with flour tortillas here. I use flour tortillas in my
enchiladas. I just prefer them to corn.

--
From somewhere very deep in the heart of Texas
Posted to rec.food.cooking

Janet Wilder wrote:

> On 7/29/2014 7:10 PM, Pete C. wrote:
> >
> > Janet Wilder wrote:

> >> If it's easier than Becca's recipe, buy a can of red enchilada sauce.
> >> Heat the chicken in a pan and add onions, peppers, whatever you like.
> >> Add some of the red sauce to make it moist.

> > Yes, easier and similar.
> >

> >> Take a second, small skillet and pour in some of the sauce. Take your
> >> tortillas and heat them in the sauce, turning them after a minute. Then
> >> stuff and roll, cover with the remaining sauce and cheese. Heat in the
> >> oven, toaster oven or gently nuke at a low power.

> > Good for enchiladas (corn tortillas), bad for burritos (flour
> > tortillas). Try just warming the tortillas over a gas burner for a few
> > seconds before filling and rolling.
> >

> Works with flour tortillas here. I use flour tortillas in my
> enchiladas. I just prefer them to corn.

I'm pretty sure the Mexican cartels are after you now that you've said
that...
Posted to rec.food.cooking

------
> I think they make Velveeta with peppers in it!

I wouldn't know about Velveeta with peppers. IIRC Ken is an older man,
possibly a widower who hasn't done a lot of cooking.

I don't make a lot of this sort of food. I would definitely suggest (at
the very least) grating some monterey jack or pepper jack cheese in
place of Velveeta.

Jill

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On 7/29/2014 9:19 PM, Pete C. wrote:

> Janet Wilder wrote:

>>> Yes, easier and similar.

>>> Good for enchiladas (corn tortillas), bad for burritos (flour
>>> tortillas). Try just warming the tortillas over a gas burner for a few
>>> seconds before filling and rolling.
>>>

>> Works with flour tortillas here. I use flour tortillas in my
>> enchiladas. I just prefer them to corn.

> I'm pretty sure the Mexican cartels are after you now that you've said
> that...

Actually around here flour tortillas are more popular than corn. You
will always be served flour, but you often have to ask for corn and then
it takes a while as they make them up fresh.

I like corn for fish tacos and in my migas, but I do prefer flour.

--
From somewhere very deep in the heart of Texas
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Tue, 29 Jul 2014 22:24:27 -0400, jmcquown >
wrote:

> IIRC Ken is an older man,
> possibly a widower who hasn't done a lot of cooking.

Exactly.

--
I take life with a grain of salt, a slice of lemon and a shot of tequila
Posted to rec.food.cooking

"jmcquown" > wrote in message
> On 7/29/2014 9:36 PM, Julie Bove wrote:
>>
>> "Bryan-TGWWW" > wrote in message
>>
>> Becca, this dude makes burritos with freakin' Velveeta. Chances are he
>> doesn't know what an ancho even is, much less a guajillo.
>>
>> KenK is either a troll or an idiot.
>>

> ------
>> I think they make Velveeta with peppers in it!

> I wouldn't know about Velveeta with peppers. IIRC Ken is an older man,
> possibly a widower who hasn't done a lot of cooking.
>
> I don't make a lot of this sort of food. I would definitely suggest (at
> the very least) grating some monterey jack or pepper jack cheese in place
> of Velveeta.

Most stores sell a shredded Mexican blend.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On 7/30/2014 12:54 AM, Julie Bove wrote:

> "jmcquown" > wrote in message
>> On 7/29/2014 9:36 PM, Julie Bove wrote:
>>>
>>> "Bryan-TGWWW" > wrote in message
>>>
>>> Becca, this dude makes burritos with freakin' Velveeta. Chances are he
>>> doesn't know what an ancho even is, much less a guajillo.
>>>
>>> KenK is either a troll or an idiot.
>>>

>> ------
>>> I think they make Velveeta with peppers in it!

>> I wouldn't know about Velveeta with peppers. IIRC Ken is an older
>> man, possibly a widower who hasn't done a lot of cooking.
>>
>> I don't make a lot of this sort of food. I would definitely suggest
>> (at the very least) grating some monterey jack or pepper jack cheese
>> in place of Velveeta.

> Most stores sell a shredded Mexican blend.

Don't know why, either as it's not very Mexican.

--
From somewhere very deep in the heart of Texas
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Wed, 30 Jul 2014 06:11:19 -0500, Janet Wilder >
wrote:

> On 7/30/2014 12:54 AM, Julie Bove wrote:
> >
> > "jmcquown" > wrote in message
> >>
> >> I wouldn't know about Velveeta with peppers. IIRC Ken is an older
> >> man, possibly a widower who hasn't done a lot of cooking.
> >>
> >> I don't make a lot of this sort of food. I would definitely suggest
> >> (at the very least) grating some monterey jack or pepper jack cheese
> >> in place of Velveeta.

> > Most stores sell a shredded Mexican blend.

> Don't know why, either as it's not very Mexican.

Considering most, if not all, Mexican cheeses are a copycat of some
European cheese with a Spanish name attached to it, why would you say
that?

--
I take life with a grain of salt, a slice of lemon and a shot of tequila

Posted to rec.food.cooking

Sqwertz > wrote in
:

> Lightly fry up some diced onions

Almost. Tried some onion slices with spicy refried beans and Velveeta for 5
min. in MW. Very good. Tried this first as I was ready for lunch and it was
simple and easy.

Thanks!

--
I love a good meal! So I don't cook.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On 7/30/2014 12:51 PM, sf wrote:
> On Wed, 30 Jul 2014 06:11:19 -0500, Janet Wilder >
> wrote:

>>> Most stores sell a shredded Mexican blend.

>> Don't know why, either as it's not very Mexican.

> Considering most, if not all, Mexican cheeses are a copycat of some
> European cheese with a Spanish name attached to it, why would you say
> that?

Probably because the Kraft or store brands of the shredded "Mexican
blend" cheeses (they come in a zip-lock bag) is pretty crappy cheese.

Jill
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Wed, 30 Jul 2014 13:15:08 -0400, jmcquown >
wrote:

> On 7/30/2014 12:51 PM, sf wrote:
> > On Wed, 30 Jul 2014 06:11:19 -0500, Janet Wilder >
> > wrote:

> >> Don't know why, either as it's not very Mexican.

> > Considering most, if not all, Mexican cheeses are a copycat of some
> > European cheese with a Spanish name attached to it, why would you say
> > that?
> >

> Probably because the Kraft or store brands of the shredded "Mexican
> blend" cheeses (they come in a zip-lock bag) is pretty crappy cheese.

There's something for everyone. Some people don't have access to
mexican cheeses and even if they did, they don't want to blend their
own. I'd say it's certainly a step up from Velveeta on a burrito.

--
I take life with a grain of salt, a slice of lemon and a shot of tequila
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On 30 Jul 2014 17:10:17 GMT, KenK > wrote:

> Seems a lot of people evidently buy Velveeta or they'd have
> stopped making it long ago.

Too-shay, Ken!

--
I take life with a grain of salt, a slice of lemon and a shot of tequila

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On 7/30/2014 11:51 AM, sf wrote:
> On Wed, 30 Jul 2014 06:11:19 -0500, Janet Wilder >
> wrote:

>>> Most stores sell a shredded Mexican blend.

>> Don't know why, either as it's not very Mexican.

> Considering most, if not all, Mexican cheeses are a copycat of some
> European cheese with a Spanish name attached to it, why would you say
> that?

Real Mexicans don't eat any yellow cheese. There is yellow cheese in
the mixture.

--
From somewhere very deep in the heart of Texas
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Wed, 30 Jul 2014 12:38:53 -0500, Janet Wilder >
wrote:

> On 7/30/2014 11:51 AM, sf wrote:
> > On Wed, 30 Jul 2014 06:11:19 -0500, Janet Wilder >
> > wrote:

> >> Don't know why, either as it's not very Mexican.

> > Considering most, if not all, Mexican cheeses are a copycat of some
> > European cheese with a Spanish name attached to it, why would you say
> > that?
> >

> Real Mexicans don't eat any yellow cheese. There is yellow cheese in
> the mixture.

Well, Ken isn't Mexican - but I don't blame Mexicans for not wanting
to color their cheese. I do like the colby jack bricks, but that's it
for me.

--
I take life with a grain of salt, a slice of lemon and a shot of tequila
Posted to rec.food.cooking

I add chopped mushrooms, sauted onions and garlic, black beans, Jack cheese, chopped up chicken, enchilada sauce, sour cream, few drops of honey, lemon juice .....I like my burritos on the wet side.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On 7/30/2014 3:09 PM, sf wrote:
> On Wed, 30 Jul 2014 12:38:53 -0500, Janet Wilder >
> wrote:
>
>> On 7/30/2014 11:51 AM, sf wrote:

>>> Considering most, if not all, Mexican cheeses are a copycat of some
>>> European cheese with a Spanish name attached to it, why would you say
>>> that?
>>>

>> Real Mexicans don't eat any yellow cheese. There is yellow cheese in
>> the mixture.

> Well, Ken isn't Mexican - but I don't blame Mexicans for not wanting
> to color their cheese. I do like the colby jack bricks, but that's it
> for me.

I am a cheese lover. Must have been a mouse in a prior life. I do not
like yellow cheese. It's not the flavor, it's that the color just seems
too weird. I never saw orange milk so how could they get orange cheese?
Has to be something not natural to cheese.

I can always find good quality white cheddar if I'm craving cheddar.
Now blue cheese, that's a cheese of a different color. :-)

--
From somewhere very deep in the heart of Texas

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On 7/30/2014 4:01 PM, Janet Wilder wrote:

> I am a cheese lover. Must have been a mouse in a prior life. I do not
> like yellow cheese. It's not the flavor, it's that the color just seems
> too weird. I never saw orange milk so how could they get orange cheese?
> Has to be something not natural to cheese.
>
> I can always find good quality white cheddar if I'm craving cheddar.
> Now blue cheese, that's a cheese of a different color. :-)

Here is what slate.com says about yellow cheese:

"After a cow chews the cud, beta-carotene dissolves into the animal’s
fat stores and ends up in fat globules in its milk. However, protein
clusters and the membranes that surround fat globules in milk conceal
the pigment’s color, reflecting light in a way that makes milk appear
white and opaque. But during the cheesemaking process, the pigment is
released: After bacterial culture and rennet have been added to milk and
the coagulated mixture is cooked, the fat membranes dissolve and the
protein clusters loosen so they can’t reflect light anymore. The beta
carotene is made visible, and it also becomes more concentrated, since
the the lean liquid component of the milk, called whey, is drained off.
It follows that the fattiest cheeses, and those from cows grazed on open
pasture, tend to have the deepest natural color."

I am also a cheese lover.

Becca

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On 7/30/2014 4:30 PM, Ema Nymton wrote:
> On 7/30/2014 4:01 PM, Janet Wilder wrote:
>
>> I am a cheese lover. Must have been a mouse in a prior life. I do not
>> like yellow cheese. It's not the flavor, it's that the color just seems
>> too weird. I never saw orange milk so how could they get orange cheese?
>> Has to be something not natural to cheese.
>>
>> I can always find good quality white cheddar if I'm craving cheddar.
>> Now blue cheese, that's a cheese of a different color. :-)

> Here is what slate.com says about yellow cheese:
>
> "After a cow chews the cud, beta-carotene dissolves into the animal’s
> fat stores and ends up in fat globules in its milk. However, protein
> clusters and the membranes that surround fat globules in milk conceal
> the pigment’s color, reflecting light in a way that makes milk appear
> white and opaque. But during the cheesemaking process, the pigment is
> released: After bacterial culture and rennet have been added to milk and
> the coagulated mixture is cooked, the fat membranes dissolve and the
> protein clusters loosen so they can’t reflect light anymore. The beta
> carotene is made visible, and it also becomes more concentrated, since
> the the lean liquid component of the milk, called whey, is drained off.
> It follows that the fattiest cheeses, and those from cows grazed on open
> pasture, tend to have the deepest natural color."
>
> I am also a cheese lover.
>
> Becca

Thank you for your research. I think I'll go eat a piece of white
farmer cheese I have in the fridge.

--
From somewhere very deep in the heart of Texas
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Wed, 30 Jul 2014 16:01:05 -0500, Janet Wilder >
wrote:

> I am a cheese lover. Must have been a mouse in a prior life. I do not
> like yellow cheese. It's not the flavor, it's that the color just seems
> too weird. I never saw orange milk so how could they get orange cheese?
> Has to be something not natural to cheese.
>
> I can always find good quality white cheddar if I'm craving cheddar.
> Now blue cheese, that's a cheese of a different color. :-)

Not a cheddar lover, but I do know white cheddar exists - I used to
buy a lot of white back when the kids were little and hubby gulped
cheddar (nothing fancy, because he didn't like "the good stuff"). As
far as blue goes, Cambozola is my favorite.

--
I take life with a grain of salt, a slice of lemon and a shot of tequila
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Wed, 30 Jul 2014 16:30:25 -0500, Ema Nymton >
wrote:

> I am also a cheese lover.

I don't love cheddar, but hubby likes the orange kind. I can't say he
won't eat white cheddar because he has in the past - but he prefers
orange. You can talk till the cows come home about how the color is
added, but that makes no difference to him. He wants the colored one.
In any case, the cheddar he likes is in no way gourmet and I say if
that's what he likes, I don't mind indulging him.

--
I take life with a grain of salt, a slice of lemon and a shot of tequila
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Wed, 30 Jul 2014 16:43:46 -0500, Janet Wilder >
wrote:

> I think I'll go eat a piece of white
> farmer cheese I have in the fridge.

I used to be able to buy a crumbled white farmer's cheese that looked
more like dry cottage cheese than anything else to me. Came in the
same kind of tub too. Haven't seen that in years. Decades is more
like it at this point.

--
I take life with a grain of salt, a slice of lemon and a shot of tequila

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On 2014-07-30 6:17 PM, sf wrote:
> On Wed, 30 Jul 2014 16:30:25 -0500, Ema Nymton >
> wrote:
>
>> I am also a cheese lover.

> I don't love cheddar, but hubby likes the orange kind. I can't say he
> won't eat white cheddar because he has in the past - but he prefers
> orange. You can talk till the cows come home about how the color is
> added, but that makes no difference to him. He wants the colored one.
> In any case, the cheddar he likes is in no way gourmet and I say if
> that's what he likes, I don't mind indulging him.

That should not be so puzzling. I guess the reason that they use food
colouring is that they know that a lot of people are accustomed to their
product being a particular colour.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On 7/30/2014 5:19 PM, sf wrote:
> On Wed, 30 Jul 2014 16:43:46 -0500, Janet Wilder >
> wrote:
>
>> I think I'll go eat a piece of white
>> farmer cheese I have in the fridge.

> I used to be able to buy a crumbled white farmer's cheese that looked
> more like dry cottage cheese than anything else to me. Came in the
> same kind of tub too. Haven't seen that in years. Decades is more
> like it at this point.

I remember that Farmer cheese. It came in a brick and was like a dry
cottage cheese, but it was creamy and tasted good on bread with sliced
tomato.

This is Farmer's (with the 's) cheese. It's something like a mozzarella
in firmness but milder and cheesier. It goes great with a vodka
martini, which I have to forgo for a while.

Drinking decaf iced tea during the chemo stuff.

--
From somewhere very deep in the heart of Texas
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Wed, 30 Jul 2014 18:49:54 -0400, Dave Smith
> wrote:

> On 2014-07-30 6:17 PM, sf wrote:
> > On Wed, 30 Jul 2014 16:30:25 -0500, Ema Nymton >
> > wrote:
> >
> >> I am also a cheese lover.

> > I don't love cheddar, but hubby likes the orange kind. I can't say he
> > won't eat white cheddar because he has in the past - but he prefers
> > orange. You can talk till the cows come home about how the color is
> > added, but that makes no difference to him. He wants the colored one.
> > In any case, the cheddar he likes is in no way gourmet and I say if
> > that's what he likes, I don't mind indulging him.

> That should not be so puzzling. I guess the reason that they use food
> colouring is that they know that a lot of people are accustomed to their
> product being a particular colour.

I am not puzzled by his personal preference if that's what you're
getting at. He doesn't feel any need to impress posters on rfc.

--
I take life with a grain of salt, a slice of lemon and a shot of tequila
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On 2014-07-30 7:52 PM, sf wrote:

>> That should not be so puzzling. I guess the reason that they use food
>> colouring is that they know that a lot of people are accustomed to their
>> product being a particular colour.
>>

> I am not puzzled by his personal preference if that's what you're
> getting at. He doesn't feel any need to impress posters on rfc.

You did mention talking until the cows come home about the colour being
added, so you I either discussed it with him at some point, or you just
made up that part. ? I was not referring to him specifically. As I
pointed out, food processing companies add food colouring to get that
consistent colour. It is not uncommon for people to prefer orange
cheddar even though it is the same as the white stuff, but with food
colouring added.

Posted to rec.food.cooking