Posted to rec.food.cooking

Default Bean burrito recipe?

Anyone have a simple, preferably low-fat, bean burrito recipe? I looked
on Google but the first four pages of responses didn't show anything that
looked especially appetizing.

TIA

--
Untie the two knots to email me

A trillion here, a trillion there,
pretty soon you're talking real money.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

"Ken Knecht" > wrote in message

> Anyone have a simple, preferably low-fat, bean burrito recipe? I looked
> on Google but the first four pages of responses didn't show anything that
> looked especially appetizing.
>
> TIA

That's 'cause a refried bean burrito isn't especially appetizing. :~) A
twist you could do would be a BLACK bean burrito. My suggestion would be to
make it kind of how Wahoo Fish Taco® makes their teriyaki veggie bean
burrito. It's low-fat and really tasty. Mexi-Asian, kinda.

Red bell peppers, onion, minced garlic, a touch of minced ginger, celery,
cilantro or parsley all sauteed in a teriyaki sauce, stuffed into a burrito
with herbed rice and salsa. You could add chicken, beef, pork or whatever
you want to that as well. It's surprisingly good! Add whatever veggies you
want. I haven't had one of these in 10 years; I'm just trying to remember
what all goes into one.

kili

Posted to rec.food.cooking

In article >,
Ken Knecht > wrote:

> Anyone have a simple, preferably low-fat, bean burrito recipe? I looked
> on Google but the first four pages of responses didn't show anything that
> looked especially appetizing.

Heat a tablespoon of olive oil in a pan, sautee some diced onions and
minced garlic, dump in a can of drained black beans (or about two cups
of cooked from dry) and a small can of tomato sauce. Heat, stirring,
and mix in some cumin, cayenne (I usually use chipotle powder) and chili
powder along with salt to taste, you can add corn if you like. This is
your filling. I make the burrito with this, shredded lettuce, salsa,
sliced olives, guacamole and/or sour cream. Low fat sour cream is one
of the few low fat dairy products that still tastes normal, IMO. I also
usually use some shredded cheddar or crumbled queso fresca. If you
don't want to use those because of fat, it will still taste good.

Regards,
Ranee

Remove do not & spam to e-mail me.

http://arabianknits.blogspot.com/
Posted to rec.food.cooking

Forgot to mention, I also usually make some kind of tomato rice or
something like that and put it in the burrito also. I've had it with
toasted sunflower seeds inside and that is nice.

Regards,
Ranee

Remove do not & spam to e-mail me.

http://arabianknits.blogspot.com/
Posted to rec.food.cooking
aem aem is offline

Ken Knecht wrote:
> Anyone have a simple, preferably low-fat, bean burrito recipe? [snip]

What are the best things to add to beans to make a tasty, interesting
burrito? To start with, refry the beans. But good refritos are cooked
in fat....

Beef. But tasty meat has fat.

Cheese. But ....

That leaves you your choice of veggies but by now I'd give up. Eat a
little less for the next week then indulge yourself with a big bean,
beef and cheese burrito. Add a strip of Anaheim chile just to live a
little.

[Rant mode On] :
People all the time ask for oxymoronic food -- low carb pasta, low fat
burritos, decaf espresso, vegetarian hamburgers, [add your own examples
here] -- as though any transgressions from their dietary limitations is
unforgiveable. Instead, after a lengthy period of abstinence:
splurge! Then make up for it so you can do it again after a while.
Falling off wagons is one of life's pleasures, and doesn't have to hurt
you. [I blame the denial of this fact on that fake religion known as
AA, but that's a whole different rant.] -aem

Posted to rec.food.cooking

"aem" > wrote in message
oups.com...
> Ken Knecht wrote:
> > Anyone have a simple, preferably low-fat, bean burrito recipe? [snip]

> What are the best things to add to beans to make a tasty, interesting
> burrito? To start with, refry the beans. But good refritos are cooked
> in fat....
>
> Beef. But tasty meat has fat.
>
> Cheese. But ....
>
> That leaves you your choice of veggies but by now I'd give up. Eat a
> little less for the next week then indulge yourself with a big bean,
> beef and cheese burrito. Add a strip of Anaheim chile just to live a
> little.
>
> [Rant mode On] :
> People all the time ask for oxymoronic food -- low carb pasta, low fat
> burritos, decaf espresso, vegetarian hamburgers, [add your own examples
> here] -- as though any transgressions from their dietary limitations is
> unforgiveable. Instead, after a lengthy period of abstinence:
> splurge! Then make up for it so you can do it again after a while.
> Falling off wagons is one of life's pleasures, and doesn't have to hurt
> you. [I blame the denial of this fact on that fake religion known as
> AA, but that's a whole different rant.] -aem

Good rant. I've never been to AA, but have worked in associated agencies.
Whenever I ask my higher power for advice, I hear "Have a burrito, with
beef, with cheese, with a cool draft". I think my higher power likes beer
:-)
--
Lefty

Life is for learning
The worst I ever had was wonderful

Posted to rec.food.cooking

I really like Chipotle's burritos, and oddly one of the secrets is
their RICE. Lime-cilantro rice. (I haven't found an especially great
recipe yet so I'll leave it to you.) With a big flour tortilla, just
plain old canned beans (or maybe the spicy vegetarian refried ones),
grated cheddar and salsa, that's a nice little meal.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On 7 Apr 2006 10:52:15 -0700, "aem" > wrote:

>Ken Knecht wrote:
>> Anyone have a simple, preferably low-fat, bean burrito recipe? [snip]

>What are the best things to add to beans to make a tasty, interesting
>burrito? To start with, refry the beans. But good refritos are cooked
>in fat....
>
>Beef. But tasty meat has fat.
>
>Cheese. But ....
>
>That leaves you your choice of veggies but by now I'd give up. Eat a
>little less for the next week then indulge yourself with a big bean,
>beef and cheese burrito. Add a strip of Anaheim chile just to live a
>little.

You imagination is far better than that - broiled fish, grilled
chicken, turkey, veggies, salsas . . . potato

jim

Posted to rec.food.cooking

"aem" > wrote in message
oups.com...
> Ken Knecht wrote:
>> Anyone have a simple, preferably low-fat, bean burrito recipe? [snip]

> What are the best things to add to beans to make a tasty, interesting
> burrito? To start with, refry the beans. But good refritos are cooked
> in fat....
>
> Beef. But tasty meat has fat.
>
> Cheese. But ....
>
> That leaves you your choice of veggies but by now I'd give up. Eat a
> little less for the next week then indulge yourself with a big bean,
> beef and cheese burrito. Add a strip of Anaheim chile just to live a
> little.
>
> [Rant mode On] :
> People all the time ask for oxymoronic food -- low carb pasta, low fat
> burritos, decaf espresso, vegetarian hamburgers, [add your own examples
> here] -- as though any transgressions from their dietary limitations is
> unforgiveable. Instead, after a lengthy period of abstinence:
> splurge! Then make up for it so you can do it again after a while.
> Falling off wagons is one of life's pleasures, and doesn't have to hurt
> you. [I blame the denial of this fact on that fake religion known as
> AA, but that's a whole different rant.] -aem

I'm with ya!

I'd rather eat a little bit of something decadent and good than a whole pot
of tasteless gruel. And when I crave something, I don't want something
almost like it. If I'm going to eat chocolate ice cream, I want good, tasty,
fatty ice cream, and I'm happy with a little scoop that I can savor and
enjoy. If you gave me fat-free guilt-free sugar-free imitation chocolate ice
milk, I'd eat one scoop, then another and another, because I wouldn't be
satisfied. And I'll probably eat something else afterward, to kill the
strange aftertaste.

It's different if it's a medical problem or an allergy that means you
absolutely can't have some things. So maybe you give them up instead of
looking for things that just don't make sense. The one the really got me
befuddled was a guy who was looking for a bread recipe, and then listed all
the things that it couldn't include. Among those were wheat, several other
grains, gluten, and yeast. There was a whole lot more, too, that made quick
breads a problem. And he wanted a fluffy sandwich-type bread. If I couldn't
eat those things because of medical reasons, I think I'd just give up the
quest for bread and learn to love corn tortillas.

Donna

Posted to rec.food.cooking

ensenadajim wrote:
> On 7 Apr 2006 10:52:15 -0700, "aem" > wrote:
>
>> Ken Knecht wrote:
>>> Anyone have a simple, preferably low-fat, bean burrito recipe?
>>> [snip]

>> What are the best things to add to beans to make a tasty, interesting
>> burrito? To start with, refry the beans. But good refritos are
>> cooked in fat....
>>
>> Beef. But tasty meat has fat.
>>
>> Cheese. But ....
>>
>> That leaves you your choice of veggies but by now I'd give up. Eat
>> a little less for the next week then indulge yourself with a big
>> bean, beef and cheese burrito. Add a strip of Anaheim chile just to
>> live a little.
>>

> You imagination is far better than that - broiled fish, grilled
> chicken, turkey, veggies, salsas . . . potato
>

> jim

That is not a bean burrito!

Jill

Posted to rec.food.cooking

In article >,
Ken Knecht > wrote:

> Anyone have a simple, preferably low-fat, bean burrito recipe? I looked
> on Google but the first four pages of responses didn't show anything that
> looked especially appetizing.

These are really good and pretty low fat. They make these about three
blocks from my house. Heat a flour tortilla on the grill. Fill with
whole pinto beans, rice and salsa. Fold and serve. They have a salsa
bar with about 5 different kinds of salsa.

--
Dan Abel

Petaluma, California, USA
Posted to rec.food.cooking

Dan Abel wrote:
> In article >,
> Ken Knecht > wrote:
>
>> Anyone have a simple, preferably low-fat, bean burrito recipe? I
>> looked on Google but the first four pages of responses didn't show
>> anything that looked especially appetizing.

> These are really good and pretty low fat. They make these about three
> blocks from my house. Heat a flour tortilla on the grill. Fill with
> whole pinto beans, rice and salsa. Fold and serve. They have a salsa
> bar with about 5 different kinds of salsa.

Yes, Dan. The thing people don't realize is beans don't have to be
'refritos'; that is, refried beans in fat. You can cook the beans (pinto or
black beans) in water or broth until tender with seasonings and still smash
the cooked beans if that is the effect you are going for and use them like a
bean paste in the burrito.

Dang, now I'm craving black bean soup!

Jill

Posted to rec.food.cooking

One way to make a burrito lower fat is to use a low-fat
tortilla. Standard burrito-sized tortillas are up to
350 calories of largely fat. The lower-fat types suffer
somewhat in texture, but they taste fine.

As for the fillings, "bean burrito" for me conjures up an image
of a burrito containining pinto beans the are at least
smashed if not refried, possibly contains cheese, probably
seasoned with dried chili powder and garlic, with minimal
other ingredients, and possibly the whole thing fried
("chimachanga" style).

If you stray too far from this and add other stuff you will have a
vegetable burrito, or a meat burrito instead. However you could
include finely chopped and sauteed onion, peppers (tinned serranos
are good if you like heat), and zucchini in the right proportions
and not subtract from the bean-ness of it.

Steve