Posted to rec.food.cooking

Default Shredding carrots fer carrot cake

I jes dragged out all my big countertop appliances. Orbital stand
mixer, 11 C FP (DLC8S), etc. To my everlasting horror, my FP did not
come with a "fine" shredding disc, only a "coarse" shredding disc. I
coulda sworn I hadda "fine" disc. So, now gotta buy one so I can make
fine coleslaw and fine carrot shreds fer sf's carrot cake.

Problem is, my Cuisinart FP is already obsolete (discontinued),
despite having bought it jes a couple yrs back. So, now gotta phone
Cuisinart and ask if the "fine" disc they claim will actually fit "all
7 and 11 cup" FPs, honestly will.

Gotta do my carrots the old fashioned way. Box grater!

I'm not sure which is worse, peeling all them carrots or
shredding/grating them.

FWIW, cuisinart labels fine/med/coarse "shredding" fer veggies, while
hard cheese (xtra fine disc) is labelled a "Grater". Let's hear the
gang argue that one.

nb
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Sunday, March 27, 2016 at 2:16:24 PM UTC-4, notbob wrote:

> I'm not sure which is worse, peeling all them carrots or
> shredding/grating them.

Why on earth are you peeling them? Give 'em a good scrub
and grate away.

Cindy Hamilton
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On 2016-03-27, Cindy Hamilton > wrote:

> Why on earth are you peeling them? Give 'em a good scrub
> and grate away.

The only time I've eaten an unpeeled carrot, the peel imparted a
bitter taste, no matter how clean/often they were washed. Not what I
want in a sweet dessert, so the peels WILL be offed.

nb
Posted to rec.food.cooking

"notbob" > wrote in message
> On 2016-03-27, Cindy Hamilton > wrote:
>
>> Why on earth are you peeling them? Give 'em a good scrub
>> and grate away.

> The only time I've eaten an unpeeled carrot, the peel imparted a
> bitter taste, no matter how clean/often they were washed. Not what I
> want in a sweet dessert, so the peels WILL be offed.
>
> nb

absolutely.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On 3/27/2016 2:16 PM, notbob wrote:

> I jes dragged out all my big countertop appliances. Orbital stand
> mixer, 11 C FP (DLC8S), etc. To my everlasting horror, my FP did not
> come with a "fine" shredding disc, only a "coarse" shredding disc. I
> coulda sworn I hadda "fine" disc. So, now gotta buy one so I can make
> fine coleslaw and fine carrot shreds fer sf's carrot cake.
>
> Problem is, my Cuisinart FP is already obsolete (discontinued),
> despite having bought it jes a couple yrs back. So, now gotta phone
> Cuisinart and ask if the "fine" disc they claim will actually fit "all
> 7 and 11 cup" FPs, honestly will.

Try eBay.

--
ღ.¸¸.œ«*¨`*œ¶
Cheryl

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On 2016-03-27, Cheryl > wrote:

> Try eBay.

Why?

Ebay is not gonna give me the technical specs on what will fit what.
Only Cuisinart can do that. In fact, they don't actually confirm it,
they jes allege to it.

http://www.cuisinart.com/parts/food_...rs/dlc-8s.html

Note the P/N nomenclature for the "fine shredding disc" is
DLC-834TX-1, not the same model as I have (DLC-8S), which is no longer
available. Tomorrow, I'll jes phone 'em and ask.

nb
Posted to rec.food.cooking

I have a regular size food processor (inherited), but years ago, I got a mini food processor at a yard sale for maybe $2. It holds about 2 cups. That would do the job nicely, even though I'd have to cut the carrots into one-inch pieces first, I'd guess. I also got a non-electric, larger processor at a yard sale - it looks like this one:

http://ecx.images-amazon.com/images/...3L._SY300_.jpg

I'd guess it holds at least four cups. The blades are very sharp and you do have to hold it down so it doesn't slip away.

So when my big electric processor conks out, I can use the others.

Lenona.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Sun, 27 Mar 2016 11:51:30 -0700 (PDT), Cindy Hamilton
> wrote:

>On Sunday, March 27, 2016 at 2:16:24 PM UTC-4, notbob wrote:
>>
>> I'm not sure which is worse, peeling all them carrots or
>> shredding/grating them.

>Why on earth are you peeling them? Give 'em a good scrub
>and grate away.
>
>Cindy Hamilton

How many carrots for one measly cake... I peel carrots, spuds, cukes,
whatever and never give it a thought. Unless I was baking several
carrot cakes a box grater is faster than cleaning a food processor...
I don't own a food processor anymore, I gave it away some 30 years
ago, I found it to be useless for home cooking.... they take up a lot
of space, are a PIA to clean, and it can't do anything I can't do
better and faster otherwise.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On 3/27/2016 6:35 PM, l not -l wrote:
> On 27-Mar-2016, notbob > wrote:
>
>> On 2016-03-27, Cheryl > wrote:
>>
>>> Try eBay.

>> Why?

> Because there are several grater blades listed for the DLC-8; mostly mediums
> (part number DLC-837TX) and at least one fine grater (DLC-835TX).

I found lots of parts on eBay for an old Vitamix blender I had. Parts
you couldn't really find anywhere unless you contact the manufacturer
and they'd probably mark the prices way up.

--
ღ.¸¸.œ«*¨`*œ¶
Cheryl
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Sunday, March 27, 2016 at 1:13:45 PM UTC-10, Cheryl wrote:
> On 3/27/2016 6:35 PM, l not -l wrote:

> >> Why?

> > Because there are several grater blades listed for the DLC-8; mostly mediums
> > (part number DLC-837TX) and at least one fine grater (DLC-835TX).
> >

> I found lots of parts on eBay for an old Vitamix blender I had. Parts
> you couldn't really find anywhere unless you contact the manufacturer
> and they'd probably mark the prices way up.
>
> --
> ღ.¸¸.œ«*¨`*œ¶
> Cheryl

eBay is great for getting replacement parts for cheap. I've gotten parts for appliances, screens and batteries for cell phones, screens for laptops, and automobile parts. I got a power steering oil cooler for my Passat yesterday. It was $35.

The worst thing about getting a Chinese part is that it takes a couple of weeks to get here. I fully expect to get parts made in Asia for my cell phones. I don't want parts made in Europe or the US for mobile devices.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Sunday, March 27, 2016 at 2:54:35 PM UTC-6, notbob wrote:
> On 2016-03-27, Cheryl > wrote:
>
> > Try eBay.

> Why?
>
> Ebay is not gonna give me the technical specs on what will fit what.
> Only Cuisinart can do that. In fact, they don't actually confirm it,
> they jes allege to it.
>
> http://www.cuisinart.com/parts/food_...rs/dlc-8s.html
>
> Note the P/N nomenclature for the "fine shredding disc" is
> DLC-834TX-1, not the same model as I have (DLC-8S), which is no longer
> available. Tomorrow, I'll jes phone 'em and ask.
>
> nb

You may be surprised what Ebay has!

John Kuthe...
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On 27 Mar 2016 18:16:18 GMT, notbob > wrote:

> I jes dragged out all my big countertop appliances. Orbital stand
> mixer, 11 C FP (DLC8S), etc. To my everlasting horror, my FP did not
> come with a "fine" shredding disc, only a "coarse" shredding disc. I
> coulda sworn I hadda "fine" disc. So, now gotta buy one so I can make
> fine coleslaw and fine carrot shreds fer sf's carrot cake.
>
> Problem is, my Cuisinart FP is already obsolete (discontinued),
> despite having bought it jes a couple yrs back. So, now gotta phone
> Cuisinart and ask if the "fine" disc they claim will actually fit "all
> 7 and 11 cup" FPs, honestly will.
>
> Gotta do my carrots the old fashioned way. Box grater!
>
> I'm not sure which is worse, peeling all them carrots or
> shredding/grating them.
>
> FWIW, cuisinart labels fine/med/coarse "shredding" fer veggies, while
> hard cheese (xtra fine disc) is labelled a "Grater". Let's hear the
> gang argue that one.

I grew up calling it a grater, I guess it was hold over terminology
from the standard 4 sided contraption where one side was a grater.

As far as your Cuisinart, I only have whatever disk that came with the
machine and that's what I use to shred my carrots. I like them that
way, wouldn't want them any finer. BTW: the disks from my last
machine fits the new one I have now. Just make sure whatever you buy
is meant for the size of what you have now. They still sell 8 cup
models, so if that's what you have - somebody sells a disk for it.

--

sf
Posted to rec.food.cooking

"Sqwertz" > wrote in message
> On 27 Mar 2016 18:16:18 GMT, notbob wrote:
>
>> I jes dragged out all my big countertop appliances. Orbital stand
>> mixer, 11 C FP (DLC8S), etc. To my everlasting horror, my FP did not
>> come with a "fine" shredding disc, only a "coarse" shredding disc. I
>> coulda sworn I hadda "fine" disc. So, now gotta buy one so I can make
>> fine coleslaw and fine carrot shreds fer sf's carrot cake.

> More rocket science: Shred everything twice through the coarse disk
> and Presto - fine shreds. Or else just do it by hand like a normal
> person, Julie.
>
> Hardly something I'd spend *$46 dollars* just for making the
> quinquennial carrot cake.
>
> -sw

Oh please! Any time I do need shredded carrots, I just grate by hand. Not
sure what you call the type of grater I use but not box or Mouli.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On 3/27/2016 4:36 PM, Sqwertz wrote:
> More rocket science:

You criminally STALK and ABUSE women, you sick little dwarfy man!

Here's what you did when you went all over the Usenet impersonating the
well-liked regular named "sf" and posting all her personal data on the
net against her will, including her:

* home address
* age
* cell phone number
* husband's name

etc.

YOU did that, you evil *******!

And then you had the hubris to actually GLOAT about in public saying:

ost

Wed, 25 Nov 2015 21:18:00 -0600
MicroPlanet-Gravity/3.0.4

She should call the cops. I've already publicly admitted it is me so
a conviction should be a piece of cake and then forging would stop.
So what's stopping her? I think she suffers from Bovism - she just
loves the attention and drama and screw the rest of the group.

-sw

And before that you literally stalked poor Omelet, a local Auustin
favorite, right off the Usenet!

In your worst moment ever you actually begged her to KILL you:

ost

3/18/2011 3:49 PM
Microsoft Internet News 4.70.1162
readnews.com - News for Geeks and ISPs
fa35d278.newsreader.readnews.com

Sorry I don't fit either of your Ideal Psycho Pal Profiles.

-sw

I'd prefer you use a sniper rifle on me from a few hundred yards away.
There you go - a reason for you to buy yet another gun and ammo.

Then after having your nose rubbed in your filthy criminal stalking you
came back with, not an apology, nor the slightest remorse, just this:

"The facebook group is much more pleasant."

But we all know that's only because you cower over there in mortal fear
of being booted by the FB admins.

You're _so done_ here virus, I mean really ****ing done.

I'm making you a project like no other, expect a lot more of your evil
abuse and hatred to be aired for all to see here.

And we both know there's a google archive full of your hatred of women
just waiting to be hung out on the virtual clothesline to dry.

Enjoy then, you rotten, worthless misogynistic *******!

Carrot Cake Lucky Recipes (moderated) 0 01-09-2007 06:04 PM
Carrot Cake Connie Recipes 0 28-02-2007 02:17 PM
Carrot Cake (low Fat) Duckie ® Recipes 0 29-05-2005 02:47 PM
Carrot Cake Gladys Dinletir Recipes (moderated) 0 04-12-2004 09:50 PM
Help with Pureed Carrots in Cake Julie Baking 5 31-01-2004 12:43 AM