Posted to rec.food.cooking

Default Burned.......

On Mon, 14 Mar 2016 05:10:36 -0700 (PDT), Nancy2
> wrote:

>No blisters, Jebus....Vaseline keeps air out when the burn is fresh.
>Air makes it hurt more.

Fair enough...
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On 3/14/2016 10:15 AM, Jeßus wrote:
> On Mon, 14 Mar 2016 10:59:13 -0700 (PDT), dsi1 >
> wrote:
>
>> On Sunday, March 13, 2016 at 5:25:04 PM UTC-10, Jeßus wrote:
>>> On Sun, 13 Mar 2016 19:25:46 -0700 (PDT), John Kuthe

>>> Yes, and some aloe is always good (as has already been mentioned).
>>> I really hate burns... I'd rather have a cut or something else other
>>> than a burn.

>> These days when I get a burn, my treatment is to ignore it.

> It is, as long as it isnt too serious.
>
>> I did cut my finger yesterday while removing my dishwasher. It's a drag because I have to stop and
>> tend to it. My wife told me to use some antibiotic ointment that's supposed to be the best there is
>> and she ought to know because she's a REGISTERED NURSE!

> Take THAT John!

Typically, I wouldn't worry about a cut but this was cut on dirty,
rusty, sheet metal. I disconnected a drain hose that's been sitting for
months. Boy was that some nasty smell! I was worried that my finger was
gonna fall off right there. Hee hee.

As far as nurses goes, there's good and bad ones. My guess is that
there's more bad ones than good ones. When my wife took her boards, she
passed at 75 questions - the minimum amount. Her friend took a
considerable amount over 300 questions to finish - it's passing but
kinda sketchy.

OTOH, Passing the boards with flying colors don't mean anything unless
you have got a handle on how the human heart works and you have the
ability to walk a while in the shoes of others. Of course, I'm not
talking about anatomy or footwear.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Monday, March 14, 2016 at 8:10:46 AM UTC-4, Nancy2 wrote:
> No blisters, Jebus....Vaseline keeps air out when the burn is fresh.
> Air makes it hurt more.
>
> N.

The best for a minor burn (no open blisters) is to immediately run cold water over it. Then, after you've calmed down, ice. It's best not to cover it or add anything but ice. doing this I've had horrible burns (my wimpy scale) feel almost OK by the next day. Speed of cold application is important.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Monday, March 14, 2016 at 1:13:59 AM UTC-4, John Kuthe wrote:

> Like I said, depends on the severity of the burn. If the epidermis is not terribly destroyed as in a a very severe burn Vaseline could prevent evaporative/insensible epidermis moisture loss.
>
> John Kuthe...

No, makes it worse.

http://www.richardfisher.com
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On 3/13/2016 11:24 PM, Je�us wrote:
> On Sun, 13 Mar 2016 19:25:46 -0700 (PDT), John Kuthe
> > wrote:
>
>> On Sunday, March 13, 2016 at 8:20:29 PM UTC-6, Jeßus wrote:
>>> On Sun, 13 Mar 2016 19:08:21 -0700 (PDT), Nancy2

>>> I would have thought vaseline would make it worse, maybe that why
>>> yours keeps blistering?

>> I second guessed on the Vaseline too. But cold water\ice stops the burn and manages the inflammation.

> Yes, and some aloe is always good (as has already been mentioned).
> I really hate burns... I'd rather have a cut or something else other
> than a burn.

I forgot that I have aloe extract that I bought before going to the
beach last summer because I sunburn like crazy, sun screen or no
sunscreen. I keep it in the refrigerator so it's nice and cold. Good
idea guys!

--
ღ.¸¸.œ«*¨`*œ¶
Cheryl

Posted to rec.food.cooking

Cheryl > wrote:
> On 3/13/2016 11:24 PM, Je�us wrote:
>> On Sun, 13 Mar 2016 19:25:46 -0700 (PDT), John Kuthe
>> > wrote:

>>> I second guessed on the Vaseline too. But cold water\ice stops the burn
>>> and manages the inflammation.

>> Yes, and some aloe is always good (as has already been mentioned).
>> I really hate burns... I'd rather have a cut or something else other
>> than a burn.
>>

> I forgot that I have aloe extract that I bought before going to the
> beach last summer because I sunburn like crazy, sun screen or no
> sunscreen. I keep it in the refrigerator so it's nice and cold. Good
> idea guys!

I burn in minutes myself, but Neutrogena makes a 100 SPF sun block that
works like magic. It's called Ultra Sheer Dry-Touch Sunscreen. It also
comes in a spray mist formulation. Make sure not to get the lower 85 or
55 SPF version. As a fair skinned, light-eyed redhead I swear by it.

--
jinx the minx
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On 2016-03-14 4:14 PM, Je�us wrote:
> On Mon, 14 Mar 2016 09:59:19 -0400, Dave Smith
> > wrote:
>

> Not very nice. My best (worst?) burn was probably directly behind my
> right knee when I was a kid. Was riding a motor bike across a ploughed
> field, bike went down with my right leg wrapped around the exhaust
> while my cousin was on top of me crying (nothing happened to her .
> It was a ******* because it took forever to heal, being a spot that
> was in constant movement all the time.

My wife had a similar one on her right calf. Apparently it was all my
fault. I had taken her out for a ride on my motorcycle. I warned her
about the hot exhaust pipe. We stopped at a store for a couple minutes.
It seems that is the part where it became my fault, because I didn't
warn her again about the hot pipe.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Monday, March 14, 2016 at 12:09:56 PM UTC-6, Jinx the Minx wrote:
> John Kuthe > wrote:
> > On Sunday, March 13, 2016 at 11:23:11 PM UTC-6, Julie Bove wrote:
> >> "Cheryl" > wrote in message
> >> b.com...

> >> Sorry. I put fresh aloe on my burns and they were healed in 48 hours.

> > Depends entirely on the severity of the burns! In what's commonly called
> > "3rd degree" burns, tissue is completely destroys and is never gonna heal
> > completely in two days. In fact, may never "heal"/regenerate at all!
> >
> > John Kuthe...
> >

> I'm pretty sure no one with a third degree burn is going to put aloe on it
> and call it done.
>
> --
> jinx the minx

One good thing about severte "third degree" burns, they do not hurt much. All the nerves were destroyed by the burn!

John Kuthe...
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Monday, March 14, 2016 at 12:25:40 PM UTC-6, wrote:
> I know this is going to sound weird, but try pouring some soy sauce on the burn. I read this a while ago and have tried it once, it actually worked to kill the pain.
>
> Denise in NH

Maybe the high saline content?

John Kuthe...

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Mon, 14 Mar 2016 22:08:50 -0700 (PDT), John Kuthe
> wrote:

>One good thing about severte "third degree" burns, they do not hurt much. All the nerves were destroyed by the burn!

And when the skin starts healing Mr RN, what then?
Posted to rec.food.cooking

John Kuthe > wrote:
> On Monday, March 14, 2016 at 12:25:40 PM UTC-6, wrote:
>> I know this is going to sound weird, but try pouring some soy sauce on
>> the burn. I read this a while ago and have tried it once, it actually
>> worked to kill the pain.
>>
>> Denise in NH

> Maybe the high saline content?
>
> John Kuthe...

Causal inference.

--
jinx the minx
Posted to rec.food.cooking
joe joe is offline

On 3/13/2016 11:26 PM, Cheryl wrote:
> How's that for a burn.
>
> http://tinypic.com/view.php?pic=24v451x&s=9

Ouch.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Monday, March 14, 2016 at 11:17:57 PM UTC-6, Jeßus wrote:
> On Mon, 14 Mar 2016 22:08:50 -0700 (PDT), John Kuthe
> > wrote:
>

> >One good thing about severte "third degree" burns, they do not hurt much.. All the nerves were destroyed by the burn!

> And when the skin starts healing Mr RN, what then?

Well, since nerves generally do not regernate much... What do you think?

John Kuthe...
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Tue, 15 Mar 2016 10:33:26 -0700 (PDT), John Kuthe
> wrote:

>On Monday, March 14, 2016 at 11:17:57 PM UTC-6, Jeßus wrote:
>> On Mon, 14 Mar 2016 22:08:50 -0700 (PDT), John Kuthe
>> > wrote:
>>

>> >One good thing about severte "third degree" burns, they do not hurt much. All the nerves were destroyed by the burn!

>> And when the skin starts healing Mr RN, what then?

>Well, since nerves generally do not regernate much... What do you think?

I think I hope you don't actually ever gain employment as an RN.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Tuesday, March 15, 2016 at 1:53:31 PM UTC-6, Jeßus wrote:
> On Tue, 15 Mar 2016 10:33:26 -0700 (PDT), John Kuthe
> > wrote:
>
> >On Monday, March 14, 2016 at 11:17:57 PM UTC-6, Jeßus wrote:
> >> On Mon, 14 Mar 2016 22:08:50 -0700 (PDT), John Kuthe

> >> And when the skin starts healing Mr RN, what then?

> >Well, since nerves generally do not regernate much... What do you think?

> I think I hope you don't actually ever gain employment as an RN.

Too late! ;-)

John Kuthe...
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Mon, 14 Mar 2016 21:09:26 -0400, Dave Smith
> wrote:

>On 2016-03-14 4:14 PM, Je?us wrote:
>> On Mon, 14 Mar 2016 09:59:19 -0400, Dave Smith
>> > wrote:
>>

>> Not very nice. My best (worst?) burn was probably directly behind my
>> right knee when I was a kid. Was riding a motor bike across a ploughed
>> field, bike went down with my right leg wrapped around the exhaust
>> while my cousin was on top of me crying (nothing happened to her .
>> It was a ******* because it took forever to heal, being a spot that
>> was in constant movement all the time.
>>

>My wife had a similar one on her right calf. Apparently it was all my
>fault. I had taken her out for a ride on my motorcycle. I warned her
>about the hot exhaust pipe. We stopped at a store for a couple minutes.
>It seems that is the part where it became my fault, because I didn't
>warn her again about the hot pipe.

You know how it works...
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Mon, 14 Mar 2016 10:43:35 -1000, dsi1
> wrote:

>Typically, I wouldn't worry about a cut but this was cut on dirty,
>rusty, sheet metal. I disconnected a drain hose that's been sitting for
>months. Boy was that some nasty smell! I was worried that my finger was
>gonna fall off right there. Hee hee.
>
>As far as nurses goes, there's good and bad ones.
>My guess is that
>there's more bad ones than good ones.

Much like with doctors. There's a lot of very average doctors out
there.

>When my wife took her boards, she
>passed at 75 questions - the minimum amount. Her friend took a
>considerable amount over 300 questions to finish - it's passing but
>kinda sketchy.
>
>OTOH, Passing the boards with flying colors don't mean anything unless
>you have got a handle on how the human heart works and you have the
>ability to walk a while in the shoes of others. Of course, I'm not
>talking about anatomy or footwear.

Indeed.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On 3/14/2016 8:17 PM, jinx the minx wrote:

> I burn in minutes myself, but Neutrogena makes a 100 SPF sun block that
> works like magic. It's called Ultra Sheer Dry-Touch Sunscreen. It also
> comes in a spray mist formulation. Make sure not to get the lower 85 or
> 55 SPF version. As a fair skinned, light-eyed redhead I swear by it.

Thanks, I'll look for it. I used 70SPF last year and it wasn't too bad.
A few spots were burned leaving me unevenly colored but I don't really
care about that anymore. I'd rather stay pure white. LOL

--
ღ.¸¸.œ«*¨`*œ¶
Cheryl
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On 3/15/2016 1:17 AM, Je�us wrote:
> On Mon, 14 Mar 2016 22:08:50 -0700 (PDT), John Kuthe
> > wrote:
>

>> One good thing about severte "third degree" burns, they do not hurt much. All the nerves were destroyed by the burn!

> And when the skin starts healing Mr RN, what then?

I'm actually kind of wondering about that. Because this is at least 2nd
degree burn and probably even 3rd but it feels kind of numb unless
something salty gets into it. Here it is today and I'm trying to keep
that flap of skin on it because I know if it comes off before the skin
under starts to heal it's going to hurt more. I've left it uncovered
today trying to air it out.
http://i63.tinypic.com/awz3o7.jpg

--
ღ.¸¸.œ«*¨`*œ¶
Cheryl

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Tuesday, March 15, 2016 at 1:08:53 AM UTC-4, John Kuthe wrote:
> On Monday, March 14, 2016 at 12:09:56 PM UTC-6, Jinx the Minx wrote:
> > John Kuthe > wrote:

> > > Depends entirely on the severity of the burns! In what's commonly called
> > > "3rd degree" burns, tissue is completely destroys and is never gonna heal
> > > completely in two days. In fact, may never "heal"/regenerate at all!
> > >
> > > John Kuthe...
> > >

> > I'm pretty sure no one with a third degree burn is going to put aloe on it
> > and call it done.
> >
> > --
> > jinx the minx

> One good thing about severte "third degree" burns, they do not hurt much. All the nerves were destroyed by the burn!
>
> John Kuthe...

I've been in a burn ward. Have you? The pain is...very bad.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On 15/03/2016 3:35 PM, Cheryl wrote:
> On 3/14/2016 8:17 PM, jinx the minx wrote:
>>
>> I burn in minutes myself, but Neutrogena makes a 100 SPF sun block that
>> works like magic. It's called Ultra Sheer Dry-Touch Sunscreen. It also
>> comes in a spray mist formulation. Make sure not to get the lower 85 or
>> 55 SPF version. As a fair skinned, light-eyed redhead I swear by it.
>>

> Thanks, I'll look for it. I used 70SPF last year and it wasn't too bad.
> A few spots were burned leaving me unevenly colored but I don't really
> care about that anymore. I'd rather stay pure white. LOL

AIUI anything over SPF30 is pretty much a waste. However, as a former
gingernut who burns easily, I use SPF 50 when I go out on my bike. I'll
certainly look for some of that Netrogena spray 100, however, as I have
sun damage checked by a dermatologist every 6 months.
Graham
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On 3/15/2016 9:53 AM, Je�us wrote:
> On Tue, 15 Mar 2016 10:33:26 -0700 (PDT), John Kuthe
> > wrote:
>
>> On Monday, March 14, 2016 at 11:17:57 PM UTC-6, Jeßus wrote:
>>> On Mon, 14 Mar 2016 22:08:50 -0700 (PDT), John Kuthe

>>> And when the skin starts healing Mr RN, what then?

>> Well, since nerves generally do not regernate much... What do you think?

> I think I hope you don't actually ever gain employment as an RN.

Burn victims with severe burns initially have an easy time with their
injuries until their nerves come back online - then it's a world of
pain, literally. They pretty much have to be doped up all the time for a
period of time. The worst part is changing the dressing and removing
whatever it is they remove when they clean the burns.

I wouldn't have the guts to do that job. My wife worked at the Burn
Center of the Pacific so she had some guts. It's quite the badge of
courage. Burn nurses have a high burn-out rate - and I'm not even trying
to be funny.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On 3/15/2016 6:33 PM, graham wrote:
> On 15/03/2016 3:35 PM, Cheryl wrote:
>> On 3/14/2016 8:17 PM, jinx the minx wrote:
>>>
>>> I burn in minutes myself, but Neutrogena makes a 100 SPF sun block that
>>> works like magic. It's called Ultra Sheer Dry-Touch Sunscreen. It also
>>> comes in a spray mist formulation. Make sure not to get the lower
>>> 85 or
>>> 55 SPF version. As a fair skinned, light-eyed redhead I swear by it.
>>>

>> Thanks, I'll look for it. I used 70SPF last year and it wasn't too bad.
>> A few spots were burned leaving me unevenly colored but I don't really
>> care about that anymore. I'd rather stay pure white. LOL
>>

> AIUI anything over SPF30 is pretty much a waste. However, as a former
> gingernut who burns easily, I use SPF 50 when I go out on my bike. I'll
> certainly look for some of that Netrogena spray 100, however, as I have
> sun damage checked by a dermatologist every 6 months.
> Graham

My mom has had a lot of pre-cancerous growths removed from her skin,
mostly her back, arms and hands. If I can avoid that I'll use anything
including an umbrella even if I'm walking. Seriously though, I was
mostly under a beach umbrella last summer at Myrtle Beach SC and still
got sunburned in spots like the inside of my elbow where I tend to sweat
in the extreme heat and sunscreen washes away, and my ankles and top of
feet which I can never seem to get covered with sunscreen enough.

--
ღ.¸¸.œ«*¨`*œ¶
Cheryl
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On 2016-03-15 6:48 PM, Cheryl wrote:

> My mom has had a lot of pre-cancerous growths removed from her skin,
> mostly her back, arms and hands. If I can avoid that I'll use anything
> including an umbrella even if I'm walking. Seriously though, I was
> mostly under a beach umbrella last summer at Myrtle Beach SC and still
> got sunburned in spots like the inside of my elbow where I tend to sweat
> in the extreme heat and sunscreen washes away, and my ankles and top of
> feet which I can never seem to get covered with sunscreen enough.

The sun seems to work differently in different parts of the world. I am
usually shirtless enough in the spring to develop enough tan to prevent
burning. When I went to California last fall I started to burn after
about 10 minutes sitting by the pool.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Tue, 15 Mar 2016 17:35:26 -0400, Cheryl >
wrote:

>On 3/14/2016 8:17 PM, jinx the minx wrote:
>>
>> I burn in minutes myself, but Neutrogena makes a 100 SPF sun block that
>> works like magic. It's called Ultra Sheer Dry-Touch Sunscreen. It also
>> comes in a spray mist formulation. Make sure not to get the lower 85 or
>> 55 SPF version. As a fair skinned, light-eyed redhead I swear by it.
>>

>Thanks, I'll look for it. I used 70SPF last year and it wasn't too bad.
>A few spots were burned leaving me unevenly colored but I don't really
>care about that anymore. I'd rather stay pure white. LOL

I'll vouch for Neutrogena as well - excellent.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Sunday, March 13, 2016 at 3:21:31 PM UTC-10, Cheryl wrote:
> I was slow cooking my corned beef early and just a couple of hours ago
> it was ready. So, I poured the pot liquor (like that term!) into the fat
> separator cup and while it was pouring out, it overflowed onto a couple
> of fingers. That's fat cooked since noon today. YEOW! If I take the
> ice off of it, it hurts too much so I'll probably be sleeping with ice
> on my hand tonight.
>
> Stupid kitchen accidents.
>
> --
> ღ.¸¸.œ«*¨`*œ¶
> Cheryl

You may want to use a hydrocolloid type dressing. They mimic the properties of the epidermis and provide excellent pain relief. Protect the dressing with some gauze. Good luck!
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Tuesday, March 15, 2016 at 6:58:52 PM UTC-4, Dave Smith wrote:

> The sun seems to work differently in different parts of the world. I am
> usually shirtless enough in the spring to develop enough tan to prevent
> burning. When I went to California last fall I started to burn after
> about 10 minutes sitting by the pool.

It depends on the latitude and time of day. At lower latitudes (and at noon) the sunlight travels through less atmosphere.

http://www.richardfisher.com
Posted to rec.food.cooking

In article >,
says...

> On Tuesday, March 15, 2016 at 6:58:52 PM UTC-4, Dave Smith wrote:
> >
> > The sun seems to work differently in different parts of the world. I am
> > usually shirtless enough in the spring to develop enough tan to prevent
> > burning. When I went to California last fall I started to burn after
> > about 10 minutes sitting by the pool.

> It depends on the latitude and time of day. At lower latitudes (and at noon) the sunlight travels through less atmosphere.

http://www.richardfisher.com

An Australian (NT) doctor told me that she had never burned at home
(too careful). The worst burn she had ever had (lobster, then peeling)
caught her by surprise, in Scotland, from a couple of sunny hours in
early May in a temperature that didn't even top 70, under a hole in the
ozone layer.

Janet
Posted to rec.food.cooking

> On Tuesday, March 15, 2016 at 1:08:53 AM UTC-4, John Kuthe wrote:

> > > I'm pretty sure no one with a third degree burn is going to put aloe on it
> > > and call it done.
> > >
> > > --
> > > jinx the minx

> > One good thing about severte "third degree" burns, they do not hurt much. All the nerves were destroyed by the burn!
> >
> > John Kuthe...

> I've been in a burn ward. Have you? The pain is...very bad.

No I have never been burned that badly, and yes I know massive burns are one of the most painful things a person can experience.

John Kuthe...

Posted to rec.food.cooking

Janet wrote:

> An Australian (NT) doctor told me that she had never burned at home
> (too careful). The worst burn she had ever had (lobster, then peeling)
> caught her by surprise, in Scotland, from a couple of sunny hours in
> early May in a temperature that didn't even top 70, under a hole in the
> ozone layer.

Sounds like speculation unless she's a doctor (PhD) of Meteorology.
Temperature has no effect on sunburn. Skiers can get sunburned faces
AND frostbite at the same time.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Wed, 16 Mar 2016 13:10:40 -0000, Janet > wrote:

>In article >,
says...

>> On Tuesday, March 15, 2016 at 6:58:52 PM UTC-4, Dave Smith wrote:
>> >
>> > The sun seems to work differently in different parts of the world. I am
>> > usually shirtless enough in the spring to develop enough tan to prevent
>> > burning. When I went to California last fall I started to burn after
>> > about 10 minutes sitting by the pool.

>> It depends on the latitude and time of day. At lower latitudes (and at noon) the sunlight travels through less atmosphere.
>>
>> http://www.richardfisher.com

> An Australian (NT) doctor told me that she had never burned at home
>(too careful). The worst burn she had ever had (lobster, then peeling)
>caught her by surprise, in Scotland, from a couple of sunny hours in
>early May in a temperature that didn't even top 70, under a hole in the
>ozone layer.

It's exactly the same here in Tasmania. It can be a cold winter's day
but you can get burned if you're not careful. And I lived in the NT
for about 17 years as well, rarely (if ever?) got burned up there.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Tue, 15 Mar 2016 12:35:49 -1000, dsi1 > wrote:

>On 3/15/2016 9:53 AM, Je?us wrote:
>> On Tue, 15 Mar 2016 10:33:26 -0700 (PDT), John Kuthe
>> > wrote:

>>> Well, since nerves generally do not regernate much... What do you think?

>> I think I hope you don't actually ever gain employment as an RN.
>>

>Burn victims with severe burns initially have an easy time with their
>injuries until their nerves come back online - then it's a world of
>pain, literally. They pretty much have to be doped up all the time for a
>period of time. The worst part is changing the dressing and removing
>whatever it is they remove when they clean the burns.

Yes, not very nice.

>I wouldn't have the guts to do that job. My wife worked at the Burn
>Center of the Pacific so she had some guts. It's quite the badge of
>courage. Burn nurses have a high burn-out rate - and I'm not even trying
>to be funny.

I don't think I could do it...
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On 3/16/2016 3:10 AM, Janet wrote:
> In article >,
> says...
>>
>> On Tuesday, March 15, 2016 at 6:58:52 PM UTC-4, Dave Smith wrote:
>>>
>>> The sun seems to work differently in different parts of the world. I am
>>> usually shirtless enough in the spring to develop enough tan to prevent
>>> burning. When I went to California last fall I started to burn after
>>> about 10 minutes sitting by the pool.

>> It depends on the latitude and time of day. At lower latitudes (and at noon) the sunlight travels through less atmosphere.

http://www.richardfisher.com

> An Australian (NT) doctor told me that she had never burned at home
> (too careful). The worst burn she had ever had (lobster, then peeling)
> caught her by surprise, in Scotland, from a couple of sunny hours in
> early May in a temperature that didn't even top 70, under a hole in the
> ozone layer.
>
> Janet

My arms, for unknown reasons, once were sensitive to direct sunlight.
The skin would blister with liquid after a few seconds of exposure.
"Vampire syndrome" would be an apt name for the condition. Thank God it
was just my arms. I had to keep it wrapped when I left work to drive
home in the afternoon. My skin returned to normal after a while but
sunlight on my arms will still make me feel uncomfortable.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On 3/16/2016 9:07 AM, Je�us wrote:
> On Tue, 15 Mar 2016 12:35:49 -1000, dsi1 > wrote:
>
>> On 3/15/2016 9:53 AM, Je?us wrote:
>>> On Tue, 15 Mar 2016 10:33:26 -0700 (PDT), John Kuthe

>>> I think I hope you don't actually ever gain employment as an RN.
>>>

>> Burn victims with severe burns initially have an easy time with their
>> injuries until their nerves come back online - then it's a world of
>> pain, literally. They pretty much have to be doped up all the time for a
>> period of time. The worst part is changing the dressing and removing
>> whatever it is they remove when they clean the burns.

> Yes, not very nice.
>
>> I wouldn't have the guts to do that job. My wife worked at the Burn
>> Center of the Pacific so she had some guts. It's quite the badge of
>> courage. Burn nurses have a high burn-out rate - and I'm not even trying
>> to be funny.

> I don't think I could do it...

My guess is that being a burn nurse is the toughest kind of nursing
around. The worst thing she ever saw was when a woman lost all the skin
on her body due to an allergic reaction. The good news is that the woman
survived and her new skin was perfect - like a baby's.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On 2016-03-16 9:10 AM, Janet wrote:
> In article >,
> says...
>>
>> On Tuesday, March 15, 2016 at 6:58:52 PM UTC-4, Dave Smith wrote:
>>>
>>> The sun seems to work differently in different parts of the world. I am
>>> usually shirtless enough in the spring to develop enough tan to prevent
>>> burning. When I went to California last fall I started to burn after
>>> about 10 minutes sitting by the pool.

>> It depends on the latitude and time of day. At lower latitudes (and at noon) the sunlight travels through less atmosphere.

http://www.richardfisher.com

> An Australian (NT) doctor told me that she had never burned at home
> (too careful). The worst burn she had ever had (lobster, then peeling)
> caught her by surprise, in Scotland, from a couple of sunny hours in
> early May in a temperature that didn't even top 70, under a hole in the
> ozone layer.

Sorry, but I don't understand that. The ozone holes are in the far
north, mostly very close to the pole. While the sun is shining more on
the northern hemisphere in summer, it seems to me to be improbable that
the sun is not far enough north to be directing light through a hole
north of Norway down to Scotland.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

In article >,
says...

> On 2016-03-16 9:10 AM, Janet wrote:
> > In article >,

says...

> >> It depends on the latitude and time of day. At lower latitudes (and at noon) the sunlight travels through less atmosphere.

http://www.richardfisher.com

> > An Australian (NT) doctor told me that she had never burned at home
> > (too careful). The worst burn she had ever had (lobster, then peeling)
> > caught her by surprise, in Scotland, from a couple of sunny hours in
> > early May in a temperature that didn't even top 70, under a hole in the
> > ozone layer.
> >

> Sorry, but I don't understand that. The ozone holes are in the far
> north, mostly very close to the pole. While the sun is shining more on
> the northern hemisphere in summer, it seems to me to be improbable that
> the sun is not far enough north to be directing light through a hole
> north of Norway down to Scotland.

http://www.theozonehole.com/arcticozonelevels.htm

Janet
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Wed, 16 Mar 2016 10:45:34 -1000, dsi1 > wrote:

>On 3/16/2016 9:07 AM, Je?us wrote:

>>> Burn victims with severe burns initially have an easy time with their
>>> injuries until their nerves come back online - then it's a world of
>>> pain, literally. They pretty much have to be doped up all the time for a
>>> period of time. The worst part is changing the dressing and removing
>>> whatever it is they remove when they clean the burns.

>> Yes, not very nice.
>>
>>> I wouldn't have the guts to do that job. My wife worked at the Burn
>>> Center of the Pacific so she had some guts. It's quite the badge of
>>> courage. Burn nurses have a high burn-out rate - and I'm not even trying
>>> to be funny.

>> I don't think I could do it...
>>

>My guess is that being a burn nurse is the toughest kind of nursing
>around. The worst thing she ever saw was when a woman lost all the skin
>on her body due to an allergic reaction. The good news is that the woman
>survived and her new skin was perfect - like a baby's.

I have heard of that situation before the new 'improved' skin.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On 3/17/2016 11:21 AM, Je�us wrote:
> On Wed, 16 Mar 2016 10:45:34 -1000, dsi1 > wrote:

>>> Yes, not very nice.

>>> I don't think I could do it...
>>>

>> My guess is that being a burn nurse is the toughest kind of nursing
>> around. The worst thing she ever saw was when a woman lost all the skin
>> on her body due to an allergic reaction. The good news is that the woman
>> survived and her new skin was perfect - like a baby's.

> I have heard of that situation before the new 'improved' skin.

I'd sure like to repair my old skin - it's in shambles. Too bad the fix
would probably be awesomely painful and probably deadly.