Old 24-02-2008, 04:36 PM posted to rec.food.cooking

Default burned on oil

i was getting ready to brown the beef for stew yesterday & was
distracted away from the kitchen. so... i have a new stainless
steel pot with burnt on oil. is there a way to remove it &
will the pot be forever burning stuff now?
boiling baking soda in it did nothing.
lee

--
Last night while sitting in my chair
I pinged a host that wasn't there

Old 24-02-2008, 05:33 PM posted to rec.food.cooking

enigma wrote:

i was getting ready to brown the beef for stew yesterday & was
distracted away from the kitchen. so... i have a new stainless
steel pot with burnt on oil. is there a way to remove it &
will the pot be forever burning stuff now?
boiling baking soda in it did nothing.
lee

You can pour some vinegar in the pot and let is soak for a good long
time. Alternately, you can put some water and dishwasher powder and boil
it. for a while. It should come clean.

Old 24-02-2008, 05:42 PM posted to rec.food.cooking

Dave Smith wrote:
enigma wrote:

i was getting ready to brown the beef for stew yesterday & was
distracted away from the kitchen. so... i have a new stainless
steel pot with burnt on oil. is there a way to remove it &
will the pot be forever burning stuff now?
boiling baking soda in it did nothing.
lee

You can pour some vinegar in the pot and let is soak for a good long
time. Alternately, you can put some water and dishwasher powder and boil
it. for a while. It should come clean.

I recently used some Goo Be Gone on a stainless bun pan with burned on
oil and it took it off enough to finish with a non-scratch scrubber.

Old 24-02-2008, 06:03 PM posted to rec.food.cooking

wrote:

i was getting ready to brown the beef for stew yesterday & was
distracted away from the kitchen. so... i have a new stainless
steel pot with burnt on oil. is there a way to remove it &
will the pot be forever burning stuff now?
boiling baking soda in it did nothing.
lee

Try this.

Lou

Opps.

http://www.barkeepersfriend.com/

Old 24-02-2008, 06:20 PM posted to rec.food.cooking

i was getting ready to brown the beef for stew yesterday & was
distracted away from the kitchen. so... i have a new stainless
steel pot with burnt on oil. is there a way to remove it &
will the pot be forever burning stuff now?
boiling baking soda in it did nothing.
lee

Try this.

Lou

Opps.

http://www.barkeepersfriend.com/

Or this

http://tinyurl.com/2zx8gr

Dawn Power Dissolver

Old 24-02-2008, 07:16 PM posted to rec.food.cooking

On Sun, 24 Feb 2008 15:36:01 +0000 (UTC), enigma wrote:

i was getting ready to brown the beef for stew yesterday & was
distracted away from the kitchen. so... i have a new stainless
steel pot with burnt on oil. is there a way to remove it &
will the pot be forever burning stuff now?
boiling baking soda in it did nothing.
lee

We've only had this thread twice (now three times) in the last 3
weeks.

-sw
Old 24-02-2008, 07:28 PM posted to rec.food.cooking

In article ,
George Shirley wrote:

Dave Smith wrote:
enigma wrote:

i was getting ready to brown the beef for stew yesterday & was
distracted away from the kitchen. so... i have a new stainless
steel pot with burnt on oil. is there a way to remove it &
will the pot be forever burning stuff now?
boiling baking soda in it did nothing.
lee

You can pour some vinegar in the pot and let is soak for a good long
time. Alternately, you can put some water and dishwasher powder and boil
it. for a while. It should come clean.

I recently used some Goo Be Gone on a stainless bun pan with burned on
oil and it took it off enough to finish with a non-scratch scrubber.

Oven cleaner works, too. Might take several goes, but it works.

Miche

--
Electricians do it in three phases
Old 24-02-2008, 08:23 PM posted to rec.food.cooking

One time on Usenet, enigma said:
i was getting ready to brown the beef for stew yesterday & was
distracted away from the kitchen. so... i have a new stainless
steel pot with burnt on oil. is there a way to remove it &
will the pot be forever burning stuff now?
boiling baking soda in it did nothing.

I would soak it overnight with a combination of dish soap and lemon
juice, then scrub the heck out of it...

--
Jani in WA
Old 24-02-2008, 09:06 PM posted to rec.food.cooking

"enigma" wrote in message
. ..
i was getting ready to brown the beef for stew yesterday & was
distracted away from the kitchen. so... i have a new stainless
steel pot with burnt on oil. is there a way to remove it &
will the pot be forever burning stuff now?
boiling baking soda in it did nothing.
lee

Soak it in some water and ammonia. I use about 1 gallon of water and a half
cup of ammonia. Let it soak overnight.

Paul

Old 24-02-2008, 09:19 PM posted to rec.food.cooking

On Feb 24, 10:36´┐Żam, enigma wrote:
i was getting ready to brown the beef for stew yesterday & was
distracted away from the kitchen. so... i have a new stainless
steel pot with burnt on oil. is there a way to remove it &
will the pot be forever burning stuff now?
´┐Żboiling baking soda in it did nothing.
lee

Household ammonia.
Old 24-02-2008, 11:17 PM posted to rec.food.cooking

Sqwertz wrote in
:

On Sun, 24 Feb 2008 15:36:01 +0000 (UTC), enigma wrote:

i was getting ready to brown the beef for stew yesterday &
was distracted away from the kitchen. so... i have a new
stainless steel pot with burnt on oil. is there a way to
remove it & will the pot be forever burning stuff now?
boiling baking soda in it did nothing.
lee

We've only had this thread twice (now three times) in the
last 3 weeks.

the one i saw was aluminum cookie sheets... which are not the
same as stainless steel pots. different cleaning techniques.
at any rate, i soaked the pot in vinegar for a few hours,
then scrubbed the rest out with BarKeeper's Friend & it looks
just fine again. we'll see if it burns things when i next cook
in it.
lee
Old 25-02-2008, 04:31 AM posted to rec.food.cooking

In article ,
enigma wrote:

i have a new stainless
steel pot with burnt on oil. is there a way to remove it & will the
pot be forever burning stuff now?

lee

If it's got a decent bottom to it, Lee, I think you should be okay. The
only time I had trouble with a hot spot on stainless was with a thin
bottom.
--
-Barb, Mother Superior, HOSSSPoJ
http://www.jamlady.eboard.com;pics of my no-knead bread posted
Old 25-02-2008, 04:33 AM posted to rec.food.cooking

In article ,
"Chris Marksberry" wrote:

Dawn Power Dissolver

You can still buy that where you are? It seems to have disappeared from
here - at least where I shop. I've been using another similar thing
fairly successfully but I loved the Dawn Power Dissolver!
Old 25-02-2008, 05:28 PM posted to rec.food.cooking

wrote:

i was getting ready to brown the beef for stew yesterday & was
distracted away from the kitchen. so... i have a new stainless
steel pot with burnt on oil. is there a way to remove it &
will the pot be forever burning stuff now?
boiling baking soda in it did nothing.
lee

Try this.

Lou

Opps.

http://www.barkeepersfriend.com/

i need something for lime deposits on a stainless sink. i'll see if
they have it at the hardware store.

your pal,
blake