Posted to rec.food.cooking

Default burned on oil

i was getting ready to brown the beef for stew yesterday & was
distracted away from the kitchen. so... i have a new stainless
steel pot with burnt on oil. is there a way to remove it &
will the pot be forever burning stuff now?
boiling baking soda in it did nothing.
lee

--
Last night while sitting in my chair
I pinged a host that wasn't there
Posted to rec.food.cooking

enigma wrote:

> i was getting ready to brown the beef for stew yesterday & was
> distracted away from the kitchen. so... i have a new stainless
> steel pot with burnt on oil. is there a way to remove it &
> will the pot be forever burning stuff now?
> boiling baking soda in it did nothing.
> lee

You can pour some vinegar in the pot and let is soak for a good long
time. Alternately, you can put some water and dishwasher powder and boil
it. for a while. It should come clean.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

Dave Smith wrote:
> enigma wrote:
>
>> i was getting ready to brown the beef for stew yesterday & was
>> distracted away from the kitchen. so... i have a new stainless
>> steel pot with burnt on oil. is there a way to remove it &
>> will the pot be forever burning stuff now?
>> boiling baking soda in it did nothing.
>> lee

> You can pour some vinegar in the pot and let is soak for a good long
> time. Alternately, you can put some water and dishwasher powder and boil
> it. for a while. It should come clean.

I recently used some Goo Be Gone on a stainless bun pan with burned on
oil and it took it off enough to finish with a non-scratch scrubber.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Sun, 24 Feb 2008 15:36:01 +0000 (UTC), enigma >
wrote:

>i was getting ready to brown the beef for stew yesterday & was
>distracted away from the kitchen. so... i have a new stainless
>steel pot with burnt on oil. is there a way to remove it &
>will the pot be forever burning stuff now?
> boiling baking soda in it did nothing.
>lee

Try this.

Lou
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Sun, 24 Feb 2008 17:02:52 GMT, Lou Decruss > wrote:

>On Sun, 24 Feb 2008 15:36:01 +0000 (UTC), enigma >
>wrote:
>
>>i was getting ready to brown the beef for stew yesterday & was
>>distracted away from the kitchen. so... i have a new stainless
>>steel pot with burnt on oil. is there a way to remove it &
>>will the pot be forever burning stuff now?
>> boiling baking soda in it did nothing.
>>lee

>Try this.
>
>Lou

Opps.

http://www.barkeepersfriend.com/

Posted to rec.food.cooking

>>>i was getting ready to brown the beef for stew yesterday & was
>>>distracted away from the kitchen. so... i have a new stainless
>>>steel pot with burnt on oil. is there a way to remove it &
>>>will the pot be forever burning stuff now?
>>> boiling baking soda in it did nothing.
>>>lee

>>Try this.
>>
>>Lou

> Opps.
>
> http://www.barkeepersfriend.com/

Or this

http://tinyurl.com/2zx8gr

Dawn Power Dissolver

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Sun, 24 Feb 2008 15:36:01 +0000 (UTC), enigma wrote:

> i was getting ready to brown the beef for stew yesterday & was
> distracted away from the kitchen. so... i have a new stainless
> steel pot with burnt on oil. is there a way to remove it &
> will the pot be forever burning stuff now?
> boiling baking soda in it did nothing.
> lee

We've only had this thread twice (now three times) in the last 3
weeks.

-sw
Posted to rec.food.cooking

In article >,
George Shirley > wrote:

> Dave Smith wrote:
> > enigma wrote:
> >
> >> i was getting ready to brown the beef for stew yesterday & was
> >> distracted away from the kitchen. so... i have a new stainless
> >> steel pot with burnt on oil. is there a way to remove it &
> >> will the pot be forever burning stuff now?
> >> boiling baking soda in it did nothing.
> >> lee

> > You can pour some vinegar in the pot and let is soak for a good long
> > time. Alternately, you can put some water and dishwasher powder and boil
> > it. for a while. It should come clean.
> >

> I recently used some Goo Be Gone on a stainless bun pan with burned on
> oil and it took it off enough to finish with a non-scratch scrubber.

Oven cleaner works, too. Might take several goes, but it works.

Miche

--
Electricians do it in three phases
Posted to rec.food.cooking

One time on Usenet, enigma > said:
> i was getting ready to brown the beef for stew yesterday & was
> distracted away from the kitchen. so... i have a new stainless
> steel pot with burnt on oil. is there a way to remove it &
> will the pot be forever burning stuff now?
> boiling baking soda in it did nothing.

I would soak it overnight with a combination of dish soap and lemon
juice, then scrub the heck out of it...

--
Jani in WA
Posted to rec.food.cooking

"enigma" > wrote in message
. ..
>i was getting ready to brown the beef for stew yesterday & was
> distracted away from the kitchen. so... i have a new stainless
> steel pot with burnt on oil. is there a way to remove it &
> will the pot be forever burning stuff now?
> boiling baking soda in it did nothing.
> lee

Soak it in some water and ammonia. I use about 1 gallon of water and a half
cup of ammonia. Let it soak overnight.

Paul

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Feb 24, 10:36�am, enigma > wrote:
> i was getting ready to brown the beef for stew yesterday & was
> distracted away from the kitchen. so... i have a new stainless
> steel pot with burnt on oil. is there a way to remove it &
> will the pot be forever burning stuff now?
> �boiling baking soda in it did nothing.
> lee

Household ammonia.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

Sqwertz > wrote in
:

> On Sun, 24 Feb 2008 15:36:01 +0000 (UTC), enigma wrote:
>
>> i was getting ready to brown the beef for stew yesterday &
>> was distracted away from the kitchen. so... i have a new
>> stainless steel pot with burnt on oil. is there a way to
>> remove it & will the pot be forever burning stuff now?
>> boiling baking soda in it did nothing.
>> lee

> We've only had this thread twice (now three times) in the
> last 3 weeks.

the one i saw was aluminum cookie sheets... which are not the
same as stainless steel pots. different cleaning techniques.
at any rate, i soaked the pot in vinegar for a few hours,
then scrubbed the rest out with BarKeeper's Friend & it looks
just fine again. we'll see if it burns things when i next cook
in it.
lee
--
Last night while sitting in my chair
I pinged a host that wasn't there
It wasn't there again today
The host resolved to NSA.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

In article >,
enigma > wrote:

>i have a new stainless
> steel pot with burnt on oil. is there a way to remove it & will the
> pot be forever burning stuff now?

> lee

If it's got a decent bottom to it, Lee, I think you should be okay. The
only time I had trouble with a hot spot on stainless was with a thin
bottom.
--
-Barb, Mother Superior, HOSSSPoJ
http://www.jamlady.eboard.com;pics of my no-knead bread posted
Posted to rec.food.cooking

In article >,
"Chris Marksberry" > wrote:

> Dawn Power Dissolver

You can still buy that where you are? It seems to have disappeared from
here - at least where I shop. I've been using another similar thing
fairly successfully but I loved the Dawn Power Dissolver!
--
-Barb, Mother Superior, HOSSSPoJ
http://www.jamlady.eboard.com;pics of my no-knead bread posted
Laissez les bons temps rouler!
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Sun, 24 Feb 2008 17:03:55 GMT, Lou Decruss > wrote:

>On Sun, 24 Feb 2008 17:02:52 GMT, Lou Decruss > wrote:
>
>>On Sun, 24 Feb 2008 15:36:01 +0000 (UTC), enigma >
>>wrote:
>>
>>>i was getting ready to brown the beef for stew yesterday & was
>>>distracted away from the kitchen. so... i have a new stainless
>>>steel pot with burnt on oil. is there a way to remove it &
>>>will the pot be forever burning stuff now?
>>> boiling baking soda in it did nothing.
>>>lee

>>Try this.
>>
>>Lou

>Opps.
>
>http://www.barkeepersfriend.com/

i need something for lime deposits on a stainless sink. i'll see if
they have it at the hardware store.

your pal,
blake

Posted to rec.food.cooking

blake murphy wrote:

> i need something for lime deposits on a stainless sink. i'll see if
> they have it at the hardware store.

CLR.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

Dave Smith wrote:
> blake murphy wrote:
>
>> i need something for lime deposits on a stainless sink. i'll see if
>> they have it at the hardware store.

> CLR.

Lime Away.
We should have purchased stock in that company while living in Germany.
The mineral deposits were like cement after a short while and we used a
lot of it to clean the bathroom fixtures.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

> "Chris Marksberry" > wrote:
>
>> Dawn Power Dissolver

> You can still buy that where you are? It seems to have disappeared from
> here - at least where I shop. I've been using another similar thing
> fairly successfully but I loved the Dawn Power Dissolver!
> --
> -Barb, Mother Superior, HOSSSPoJ

Barb,

I'll check the next time I go to the grocery store and let you know. I've
haven't needed to buy any lately.

Just in case it has disappeared what you using now?

Chris

P.S. - Dawn Power Dissolver isn't available in Canada last I heard. People
there have to come to the US to buy. I wonder why?

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Mon, 25 Feb 2008 16:28:13 GMT, blake murphy
> wrote:

>>Opps.
>>
>>http://www.barkeepersfriend.com/

Howdy,

I posted about the same issue perhaps two weeks ago, and
received many of the same suggestions.

The Bar Keepers Friend did next to nothing to remove the
baked on oil. Ammonia vapor had no effect whatever.

A product called "Carbon Off" removed the oil in moments
with virtually no effort.

Here's a link:

http://www.carbonoff.com/

The product seems to be the same as another called "Sokoff"
which is described he

http://www.waljanproducts.com/sokoff.htm

All the best,
--
Kenneth

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Sun, 24 Feb 2008 16:06:18 GMT, Janet Baraclough
> wrote:

>Then scrub with steel wool

Hi Janet,

With sincere respect, I would suggest staying away from the
steel wool for a few reasons:

The first is that, though it will indeed remove the stuff on
the pot, it will also scratch the surface in ways that will
make cleaning more difficult in the future.

In addition, it will leave in those scratches bits of steel
far to small to be seen, but of a size that you might not
want to eat when they find their way into your next meal.

All the best,
--
Kenneth

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Sun, 24 Feb 2008 17:03:55 GMT, Lou Decruss
> wrote:

>On Sun, 24 Feb 2008 17:02:52 GMT, Lou Decruss > wrote:
>
>>On Sun, 24 Feb 2008 15:36:01 +0000 (UTC), enigma >
>>wrote:
>>
>>>i was getting ready to brown the beef for stew yesterday & was
>>>distracted away from the kitchen. so... i have a new stainless
>>>steel pot with burnt on oil. is there a way to remove it &
>>>will the pot be forever burning stuff now?
>>> boiling baking soda in it did nothing.
>>>lee

>>Try this.
>>
>>Lou

>Opps.
>
>http://www.barkeepersfriend.com/

Hi Lou,

For a moment there I thought you were offering to come over
to clean the pan...

All the best,
--
Kenneth

Posted to rec.food.cooking

In article >,
"Chris Marksberry" > wrote:

> I'll check the next time I go to the grocery store and let you know. I've
> haven't needed to buy any lately.
>
> Just in case it has disappeared what you using now?
> Chris

Easy Off's Bam. It's okay but I prefer the other.
--
-Barb, Mother Superior, HOSSSPoJ
http://www.jamlady.eboard.com; I Think I've Seen it All, 2/24/2008
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Tue, 26 Feb 2008 00:23:17 GMT, Janet Baraclough
> wrote:

>> The first is that, though it will indeed remove the stuff on
>> the pot, it will also scratch the surface in ways that will
>> make cleaning more difficult in the future.

>> In addition, it will leave in those scratches bits of steel
>> far to small to be seen, but of a size that you might not
>> want to eat when they find their way into your next meal.

> Hm, are you in USA? If so I think you maybe have a different steel
>wool from what we have here in Scotland. I've been eating invisible bits
>of it for years and ....
>
>..............aaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaarrggh
>
> Janet.

Hi Janet,

I am in the USA...

Our "steel wool" looks rather like... well... "wool."

Folks here also often use another cleaning item that is
essentially the same thing but on steroids. That is, instead
of the "fibers" being the thickness of a hair, they are more
like the thickness of a slender wood shaving.

That latter type does clean surfaces very well, but at the
expense of scratches that are typically quite deep.

All the best,
--
Kenneth

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Feb 24, 10:36*am, enigma > wrote:
> i was getting ready to brown the beef for stew yesterday & was
> distracted away from the kitchen. so... i have a new stainless
> steel pot with burnt on oil. is there a way to remove it &
> will the pot be forever burning stuff now?

If you were using a cast iron skillet/dutch oven, we would call it
seasoned. It will come off sooner or later....and it won't hurt
you.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Mon, 25 Feb 2008 11:42:34 -0500, Dave Smith
> wrote:

>blake murphy wrote:
>
>> i need something for lime deposits on a stainless sink. i'll see if
>> they have it at the hardware store.

>CLR.

i googled this, because i hadn't heard of it. it seems to be a little
more powerful than i need.

your pal,
blake

Posted to rec.food.cooking

blake wrote on Mon, 25 Feb 2008 16:28:13 GMT:

??>> On Sun, 24 Feb 2008 17:02:52 GMT, Lou Decruss
> wrote:
??>>
??>>> On Sun, 24 Feb 2008 15:36:01 +0000 (UTC), enigma
??>>> > wrote:
??>>>
??>>>> i was getting ready to brown the beef for stew yesterday
??>>>> & was distracted away from the kitchen. so... i have a
??>>>> new stainless steel pot with burnt on oil. is there a
??>>>> way to remove it & will the pot be forever burning stuff
??>>>> now? boiling baking soda in it did nothing. lee
??>>>
??>>> Try this.
??>>>
??>>> Lou
??>>
??>> Opps.
??>>
??>> http://www.barkeepersfriend.com/

bm> i need something for lime deposits on a stainless sink.
bm> i'll see if they have it at the hardware store.

Ever tried warm vinegar, Blake?

James Silverton
Potomac, Maryland

E-mail, with obvious alterations:
not.jim.silverton.at.verizon.not

Posted to rec.food.cooking

FWIW, burned-on oil is probably similar to the brown/black crud that
gets burned onto roasting pans. Since it's an organic material, plain
old sodium hydroxide (lye) will soften it and often dissolve it.

WARNING! Stainless steel only!

Really cruddy stainless steel pot bottoms clean up easily after an
overnight soak in a plate or dish of lye in water.

Lye is corrosive stuff and can be dangerous to living things (like
children.) Be very careful how you use it. But, if you're comfortable
with such things and know how to use it, lye is cheap and very
effective.

Pixmaker

On Sun, 24 Feb 2008 21:31:53 -0600, Melba's Jammin'
> wrote:

>In article >,
> enigma > wrote:
>
>>i have a new stainless
>> steel pot with burnt on oil. is there a way to remove it & will the
>> pot be forever burning stuff now?

>> lee

>If it's got a decent bottom to it, Lee, I think you should be okay. The
>only time I had trouble with a hot spot on stainless was with a thin
>bottom.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

One time on Usenet, Janet Baraclough > said:
> The message >
> from Kenneth > contains these words:

<snip>

> > Our "steel wool" looks rather like... well... "wool."

> That's like ours. We can buy it soap-impregnated, called Brillo pads.
> I wouldn't use them everyday but very useful for cremations.

We have Brillo too:

http://brillo.com/products/steelwool.asp

I like them for baked-on crud...

--
Jani in WA
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Tue, 26 Feb 2008 15:48:56 GMT, blake murphy >
wrote:

>On Mon, 25 Feb 2008 11:42:34 -0500, Dave Smith
> wrote:
>
>>blake murphy wrote:
>>
>>> i need something for lime deposits on a stainless sink. i'll see if
>>> they have it at the hardware store.

>>CLR.

>i googled this, because i hadn't heard of it. it seems to be a little
>more powerful than i need.
>
>your pal,
>blake

CLR isn't very strong. I agree with Goomba. Lime-A-Way is the best
for your situation.

Lou
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Mon, 25 Feb 2008 13:42:24 -0500, Kenneth
> wrote:

>On Mon, 25 Feb 2008 16:28:13 GMT, blake murphy
> wrote:
>

>>>Opps.
>>>
>>>http://www.barkeepersfriend.com/

>Howdy,
>
>I posted about the same issue perhaps two weeks ago, and
>received many of the same suggestions.
>
>The Bar Keepers Friend did next to nothing to remove the
>baked on oil. Ammonia vapor had no effect whatever.
>
>A product called "Carbon Off" removed the oil in moments
>with virtually no effort.
>
>Here's a link:
>
>http://www.carbonoff.com/
>
>The product seems to be the same as another called "Sokoff"
>which is described he
>
>http://www.waljanproducts.com/sokoff.htm
>
>All the best,

I've had good luck with BKF and ammonia, but I'll look for carbonoff.

Thanks,

Lou

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Mon, 25 Feb 2008 13:52:41 -0500, Kenneth
> wrote:

>On Sun, 24 Feb 2008 17:03:55 GMT, Lou Decruss
> wrote:
>
>>On Sun, 24 Feb 2008 17:02:52 GMT, Lou Decruss > wrote:

>>>Try this.
>>>
>>>Lou

>>Opps.
>>
>>http://www.barkeepersfriend.com/

>Hi Lou,
>
>For a moment there I thought you were offering to come over
>to clean the pan...

Ummmmm.. What are you making me for dinner?

Lou
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Tue, 26 Feb 2008 16:01:32 GMT, "James Silverton"
> wrote:

> blake wrote on Mon, 25 Feb 2008 16:28:13 GMT:
>
> ??>> On Sun, 24 Feb 2008 17:02:52 GMT, Lou Decruss
> wrote:
> ??>>
> ??>>> On Sun, 24 Feb 2008 15:36:01 +0000 (UTC), enigma
> ??>>> > wrote:
> ??>>>
> ??>>>> i was getting ready to brown the beef for stew yesterday
> ??>>>> & was distracted away from the kitchen. so... i have a
> ??>>>> new stainless steel pot with burnt on oil. is there a
> ??>>>> way to remove it & will the pot be forever burning stuff
> ??>>>> now? boiling baking soda in it did nothing. lee
> ??>>>
> ??>>> Try this.
> ??>>>
> ??>>> Lou
> ??>>
> ??>> Opps.
> ??>>
> ??>> http://www.barkeepersfriend.com/
>
> bm> i need something for lime deposits on a stainless sink.
> bm> i'll see if they have it at the hardware store.
>
>Ever tried warm vinegar, Blake?
>
>James Silverton

no, but i will. i just bought a bottle of cheap white vinegar
(ostensibly to clean the microwave), but haven't deployed it yet.

your pal,
blake
Posted to rec.food.cooking

blake murphy wrote:

> no, but i will. i just bought a bottle of cheap white vinegar
> (ostensibly to clean the microwave), but haven't deployed it yet.

Pickling vinegar might work better. It is a lot stronger. The cheap
stuff is diluted.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Wed, 27 Feb 2008 10:54:38 -0500, Dave Smith
> wrote:

>blake murphy wrote:
>

>> no, but i will. i just bought a bottle of cheap white vinegar
>> (ostensibly to clean the microwave), but haven't deployed it yet.
>>

>Pickling vinegar might work better. It is a lot stronger. The cheap
>stuff is diluted.

it's standard white vinegar, store brand, diluted to five percent
acidity. i can't say that i recall seeing 'pickling vinegar' at the
store.

your pal,
blake

Posted to rec.food.cooking

blake wrote on Thu, 28 Feb 2008 14:47:15 GMT:

??>> blake murphy wrote:
??>>
??>>> no, but i will. i just bought a bottle of cheap white
??>>> vinegar (ostensibly to clean the microwave), but haven't
??>>> deployed it yet.
??>>>
??>> Pickling vinegar might work better. It is a lot stronger.
??>> The cheap stuff is diluted.
??>>
bm> it's standard white vinegar, store brand, diluted to five
bm> percent acidity. i can't say that i recall seeing
bm> 'pickling vinegar' at the store.

If you need more acid strength than regular vinegar, you can buy
muriatic acid (hydrochloric) at a hardware store. Don't use
much, wear gloves and wash off with lots of water. A short
contact is not that dangerous to skin but I'd also use goggles
to avoid getting it in my eyes.

James Silverton
Potomac, Maryland

E-mail, with obvious alterations:
not.jim.silverton.at.verizon.not

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Thu, 28 Feb 2008 15:14:46 GMT, "James Silverton"
> wrote:

> blake wrote on Thu, 28 Feb 2008 14:47:15 GMT:
>
> ??>> blake murphy wrote:
> ??>>
> ??>>> no, but i will. i just bought a bottle of cheap white
> ??>>> vinegar (ostensibly to clean the microwave), but haven't
> ??>>> deployed it yet.
> ??>>>
> ??>> Pickling vinegar might work better. It is a lot stronger.
> ??>> The cheap stuff is diluted.
> ??>>
> bm> it's standard white vinegar, store brand, diluted to five
> bm> percent acidity. i can't say that i recall seeing
> bm> 'pickling vinegar' at the store.
>
>If you need more acid strength than regular vinegar, you can buy
>muriatic acid (hydrochloric) at a hardware store. Don't use
>much, wear gloves and wash off with lots of water. A short
>contact is not that dangerous to skin but I'd also use goggles
>to avoid getting it in my eyes.

BAD BAD BAD advice. It will discolor the faucet, and unless you have
a very strong cross breeze you'll be running out of the house. Blake
is in a wheelchair. BAD BAD BAD advice!!!!!!!!!

Lou
Posted to rec.food.cooking

In article >,
blake murphy > wrote:

> On Wed, 27 Feb 2008 10:54:38 -0500, Dave Smith
> > wrote:
>
> >blake murphy wrote:
> >

> >> no, but i will. i just bought a bottle of cheap white vinegar
> >> (ostensibly to clean the microwave), but haven't deployed it yet.
> >>

> >Pickling vinegar might work better. It is a lot stronger. The cheap
> >stuff is diluted.
> >

> it's standard white vinegar, store brand, diluted to five percent
> acidity. i can't say that i recall seeing 'pickling vinegar' at the
> store.
>
> your pal,
> blake

The Canadian folks get pickling vinegar, Blake -- it's stronger -- maybe
8% ? I saw it available here a few years ago (Heinz?) but it wasn't
around for very long.

The more I think about it, though, I'm thinking that what I saw was
stronger than 5% *and labeled as for cleaning.*
--
-Barb, Mother Superior, HOSSSPoJ
http://www.jamlady.eboard.com; I Think I've Seen it All, 2/24/2008
Posted to rec.food.cooking

In article >,
blake murphy > wrote:

> i need something for lime deposits on a stainless sink. i'll see if
> they have it at the hardware store.
>
> your pal,
> blake

Vinegar, Lime-Away, or hydrochloric acid. HTH. :-)
--
-Barb, Mother Superior, HOSSSPoJ
http://www.jamlady.eboard.com; I Think I've Seen it All, 2/24/2008
Posted to rec.food.cooking

Lou wrote on Thu, 28 Feb 2008 15:41:31 GMT:

??>> blake wrote on Thu, 28 Feb 2008 14:47:15 GMT:
??>>
??>>>> blake murphy wrote:
??>>>>
??>>>>> no, but i will. i just bought a bottle of cheap white
??>>>>> vinegar (ostensibly to clean the microwave), but
??>>>>> haven't deployed it yet.
??>>>>>
??>>>> Pickling vinegar might work better. It is a lot
??>>>> stronger. The cheap stuff is diluted.
??>>>>
bm>>> it's standard white vinegar, store brand, diluted to five
bm>>> percent acidity. i can't say that i recall seeing
bm>>> 'pickling vinegar' at the store.
??>>
??>> If you need more acid strength than regular vinegar, you
??>> can buy muriatic acid (hydrochloric) at a hardware store.
??>> Don't use much, wear gloves and wash off with lots of
??>> water. A short contact is not that dangerous to skin but
??>> I'd also use goggles to avoid getting it in my eyes.

LD> BAD BAD BAD advice. It will discolor the faucet, and
LD> unless you have a very strong cross breeze you'll be
LD> running out of the house. Blake is in a wheelchair. BAD
LD> BAD BAD advice!!!!!!!!!

I'd debate that advice. I have used it for years for stainless
steel pots and sinks when vinegar would not do. You certainly
wouldn't want to use it on any material that could be harmed by
acid. It's less dangerous than the lye solutions used for drain
blockage and the fumes are *not* serious unless you intend to
boil it. Like any dangerous material, adequate protective
clothing and ventilation is a good idea and extra care would be
needed in case of an accident if you have mobility problems.

James Silverton
Potomac, Maryland

E-mail, with obvious alterations:
not.jim.silverton.at.verizon.not

Posted to rec.food.cooking

Melba's Jammin' wrote:

> The Canadian folks get pickling vinegar, Blake -- it's stronger -- maybe
> 8% ? I saw it available here a few years ago (Heinz?) but it wasn't
> around for very long.
>
> The more I think about it, though, I'm thinking that what I saw was
> stronger than 5% *and labeled as for cleaning.*

The pickling vinegar in my cupboard is 7%. The cheap stuff is 5%.