Old 25-02-2009, 03:21 PM posted to rec.food.cooking

Default Cleaning a Really, Really Burned Pan

I can barely see my monitor through the smoke. LOL!

I turned a burner on to heat water for tea a little while ago. After
a few minutes, I noticed a burned smell, but chalked it up to the oven
being on for heat.

Then the smell got very strong. Shit! I had turned the burner on
under the rice leftover from last night's dinner. Thankfully, the lid
was on the pan, because the rice was on fire.

Took the pan outside to cool, and to reduce the amount of smoke in the
house. Brought it back in, and man, is it black inside that thing!

What's the best (easiest) way to get the burn stains out of the pan?
Oven cleaner, maybe? We're dealing with stainless steel Revere Ware
with a copper bottom, if that helps.

Carol

--
Change "invalid" to JamesBond's agent number to reply.

Old 25-02-2009, 03:35 PM posted to rec.food.cooking

Damsel in dis Dress wrote:

What's the best (easiest) way to get the burn stains out of the pan?
Oven cleaner, maybe? We're dealing with stainless steel Revere Ware
with a copper bottom, if that helps.

My algorithm is as follows: using detergent, if I cannot clean it with
a dish sponge, I try cleaning it with a Tuffy (that being the name
brand for a scrubber made from a jumble of yellow and orange plastic
strands); if that does not work by itself, I use a nearly-dry
slurry of coarse salt, which usually works. Sometimes it takes
several go's at it with soaking in between.

I will do the above for either stainless steel or enameled cast iron.
However with stainless steel another option is steel wool.

I would never, ever use oven cleaner.

Just my opinion.

Steve
Old 25-02-2009, 03:54 PM posted to rec.food.cooking

In article ,
Damsel in dis Dress wrote:
What's the best (easiest) way to get the burn stains out of the pan?
Oven cleaner, maybe? We're dealing with stainless steel Revere Ware
with a copper bottom, if that helps.

Carol

Start by wetting the pot on the inside and dumping in a half-inch thick
layer of baking soda. Let it sit, undisturbed, overnight or for a day.
Rinse it out and see what comes with it.
A friend just made a mess of an All-Clad pan with some elderberry syrup
gunk and she cleaned it by repeatedly boiling water in it.
--
-Barb, Mother Superior, HOSSSPoJ
http://web.me.com/barbschaller
Old 25-02-2009, 03:56 PM posted to rec.food.cooking

"Damsel in dis Dress" ha scritto nel messaggio

Took the pan outside to cool, and to reduce the amount of smoke in the
house. Brought it back in, and man, is it black inside that thing!

What's the best (easiest) way to get the burn stains out of the pan?
Carol

Boil water in it and then leave it overnight. Scrub away what you can with
a metal scrubby. If it isn't enough, fill it with bleach water and boil it
again, then leave it. The bleach has always got the last bits for me.

Old 25-02-2009, 03:57 PM posted to rec.food.cooking
Sky Sky is offline

Damsel in dis Dress wrote:

I can barely see my monitor through the smoke. LOL!

I turned a burner on to heat water for tea a little while ago. After
a few minutes, I noticed a burned smell, but chalked it up to the oven
being on for heat.

Then the smell got very strong. Shit! I had turned the burner on
under the rice leftover from last night's dinner. Thankfully, the lid
was on the pan, because the rice was on fire.

Took the pan outside to cool, and to reduce the amount of smoke in the
house. Brought it back in, and man, is it black inside that thing!

What's the best (easiest) way to get the burn stains out of the pan?
Oven cleaner, maybe? We're dealing with stainless steel Revere Ware
with a copper bottom, if that helps.

Carol

Bummer that! Another trick might be to use a little bit of dishwasher
machine detergent (that powdered stuff) in the pan and fill with hot
water. Stir the detergent around to dissolve and let it soak for
awhile, then apply the elbow-grease. The enzymes in the dishwasher
detergent might help to breakup the burned char on the inside of the
pan.

Just a thought, but whenever I turn on the stove burner with a pan/pot
of anything in it, I always use the timer to remind me I have a pan on a
hot burner. There have been many times when this little precaution has
saved a pan or few, not to mention the kitchen and house! After all, it
is the "ultra ultimate kitchen rule"

Sky

Ultimate Kitchen Rule -- Cook's Choice
Old 25-02-2009, 04:02 PM posted to rec.food.cooking

On Wed, 25 Feb 2009 09:57:32 -0600, Sky
wrote:

Just a thought, but whenever I turn on the stove burner with a pan/pot
of anything in it, I always use the timer to remind me I have a pan on a
hot burner. There have been many times when this little precaution has
saved a pan or few, not to mention the kitchen and house! After all, it
is the "ultra ultimate kitchen rule"

I thought I was heating a whistling tea kettle, so it never occured to
me to set the timer. The stove at this house has knobs in the
opposite positions from the one at the other place. This isn't the
first time this has happened, but this WAS the first fire. Hopefully,
the last.

Carol

--
Change "invalid" to JamesBond's agent number to reply.
Old 25-02-2009, 04:16 PM posted to rec.food.cooking

On Wed, 25 Feb 2009 09:21:44 -0600, Damsel in dis Dress
wrote:

I can barely see my monitor through the smoke. LOL!

I turned a burner on to heat water for tea a little while ago. After
a few minutes, I noticed a burned smell, but chalked it up to the oven
being on for heat.

Then the smell got very strong. Shit! I had turned the burner on
under the rice leftover from last night's dinner. Thankfully, the lid
was on the pan, because the rice was on fire.

Took the pan outside to cool, and to reduce the amount of smoke in the
house. Brought it back in, and man, is it black inside that thing!

What's the best (easiest) way to get the burn stains out of the pan?
Oven cleaner, maybe? We're dealing with stainless steel Revere Ware
with a copper bottom, if that helps.

Put a whole bunch of baking soda in water into the pan and let it soak
for an hour... then empty it out and put in a half-inch of water and a
bunch more baking soda and start scrubbing. The baking soda softens
the gunk and acts as a mild abrasive. I'm glad that you just burned
the pot and not your whole kitchen! I turned the wrong burner on on
our stove a few times lately, but luckily I was standing right there
and realised before any damage was done.
Old 25-02-2009, 04:18 PM posted to rec.food.cooking

Damsel in dis Dress, if I was in the mood, I'd turn the lights down low
and reply with soft music, but you'll have to accept this instead::
I can barely see my monitor through the smoke. LOL!

I turned a burner on to heat water for tea a little while ago. After
a few minutes, I noticed a burned smell, but chalked it up to the oven
being on for heat.

Then the smell got very strong. Shit! I had turned the burner on
under the rice leftover from last night's dinner. Thankfully, the lid
was on the pan, because the rice was on fire.

Took the pan outside to cool, and to reduce the amount of smoke in the
house. Brought it back in, and man, is it black inside that thing!

What's the best (easiest) way to get the burn stains out of the pan?
Oven cleaner, maybe? We're dealing with stainless steel Revere Ware
with a copper bottom, if that helps.

Carol

The nice thing about stainless steel, is that it's stainless. You only
need to get foodstuff off. Any "stains" you are looking at are not
embeded into the metal. You can scrub it with anything you want.
Cleaser is a good one after a brillo scrubbing. Copper is a different
story. Usually, a good scrub and polish is warranted a couple times a
year.

--
Yours,
Dan S.

Old 25-02-2009, 04:22 PM posted to rec.food.cooking

On Feb 25, 9:21*am, Damsel in dis Dress
wrote:
I can barely see my monitor through the smoke. *LOL!

I turned a burner on to heat water for tea a little while ago. *After
a few minutes, I noticed a burned smell, but chalked it up to the oven
being on for heat.

Then the smell got very strong. *Shit! *I had turned the burner on
under the rice leftover from last night's dinner. *Thankfully, the lid
was on the pan, because the rice was on fire.

Took the pan outside to cool, and to reduce the amount of smoke in the
house. *Brought it back in, and man, is it black inside that thing!

What's the best (easiest) way to get the burn stains out of the pan?
Oven cleaner, maybe? * We're dealing with stainless steel Revere Ware
with a copper bottom, if that helps.

Carol

--
Change "invalid" to JamesBond's agent number to reply.

I have had some success submersing the entire pan in a bucket of water
with dishwasher soap in it and letting it soak. First, you'll have to
scrape off everything you can (without gouging the bottom of the
pan). I certainly won't hurt anything to try it.

I bought some fancy motorcycle chrome cleaner at the Harley place to
scour burned nylon (from a utensil) from the bottom of a stainless
steel All-Clad pan that my son cooked. It took lots of elbow grease
to get it off, but it was worth it. I can't remember the name of the
tube of stuff, but it was manufactured to take melted rubber off
chrome....like rubberized patches on motorcycle gear (or boot bottoms)
becoming melted onto the hot exhaust pipe.

N.

Old 25-02-2009, 04:23 PM posted to rec.food.cooking

On Feb 25, 9:56*am, "Giusi" wrote:
"Damsel in dis Dress" *ha scritto nel messaggio

Took the pan outside to cool, and to reduce the amount of smoke in the
house. *Brought it back in, and man, is it black inside that thing!

What's the best (easiest) way to get the burn stains out of the pan?
Carol

Boil water in it and then leave it overnight. *Scrub away what you can with
a metal scrubby. *If it isn't enough, fill it with bleach water and boil it
again, then leave it. *The bleach has always got the last bits for me.

Boiling water works best on sugary burns - rice isn't.

N.
Old 25-02-2009, 04:29 PM posted to rec.food.cooking

On 2009-02-25, Damsel in dis Dress wrote:

Oven cleaner, maybe? We're dealing with stainless steel Revere Ware
with a copper bottom, if that helps.

If the pan has been heated high enough and long enough, the burn stains may
be permenent. If it isn't too bad, use a stainless steel scrubby pad, soft
scrub, and some serious scullery maid elbow grease to get most of it out.
Fact is, high heat releases carbon from organic objects and drives it into
the metal. You may never see a shiny bottom on that pan, again. I have a
couple pans I've burned. All my mom's pans are like that.

Never start heating a pan on high heat and walk away!!

nb
Old 25-02-2009, 04:44 PM posted to rec.food.cooking

"Melba's Jammin'" wrote
Start by wetting the pot on the inside and dumping in a half-inch thick
layer of baking soda. Let it sit, undisturbed, overnight or for a day.
Rinse it out and see what comes with it.
A friend just made a mess of an All-Clad pan with some elderberry syrup
gunk and she cleaned it by repeatedly boiling water in it.
--
-Barb

Sugar removal is much easier than starch... how quick we forget my
internationally patented household ammonia method.

Old 25-02-2009, 04:53 PM posted to rec.food.cooking

Damsel in dis Dress wrote:
I can barely see my monitor through the smoke. LOL!

I turned a burner on to heat water for tea a little while ago. After
a few minutes, I noticed a burned smell, but chalked it up to the oven
being on for heat.

Then the smell got very strong. Shit! I had turned the burner on
under the rice leftover from last night's dinner. Thankfully, the lid
was on the pan, because the rice was on fire.

Took the pan outside to cool, and to reduce the amount of smoke in the
house. Brought it back in, and man, is it black inside that thing!

What's the best (easiest) way to get the burn stains out of the pan?
Oven cleaner, maybe? We're dealing with stainless steel Revere Ware
with a copper bottom, if that helps.

Carol

Oven cleaner.

If you want to try something milder first, there are 2 things you can
try: (1) Pour in just enough full-strength household ammonia to cover
the bottom, put the lid on tight, and let it sit overnight. The crud
should scrape out pretty easily. (2) A heaping tablespoon of washing
soda and enough warm water to cover the bottom. Let that sit overnight.
(Washing soda is in a big yellow box near the detergent and borax.
It's not the same as baking soda)

Bob
Old 25-02-2009, 05:20 PM posted to rec.food.cooking

In article ,
Damsel in dis Dress wrote:

I can barely see my monitor through the smoke. LOL!

I turned a burner on to heat water for tea a little while ago. After
a few minutes, I noticed a burned smell, but chalked it up to the oven
being on for heat.

Then the smell got very strong. Shit! I had turned the burner on
under the rice leftover from last night's dinner. Thankfully, the lid
was on the pan, because the rice was on fire.

Took the pan outside to cool, and to reduce the amount of smoke in the
house. Brought it back in, and man, is it black inside that thing!

What's the best (easiest) way to get the burn stains out of the pan?
Oven cleaner, maybe? We're dealing with stainless steel Revere Ware
with a copper bottom, if that helps.

Carol

Carol, I deal with scorching by putting a layer of pure vinegar in the
pan and letting it soak for a day or two. Putting it out in hot sunlight
will help speed the process.
--
Peace! Om

I find hope in the darkest of days, and focus in the brightest. I do not judge the universe. -- Dalai Lama