Old 11-12-2015, 12:49 AM posted to rec.food.cooking

Default Fun Vintage Item

Does this thing remind anyone else of Robbie the Robot? It's a vintage
nut chopper. It belonged to my grandmother. An interesting little bit
of family cooking history.

http://i66.tinypic.com/20gickj.jpg

I have posted grandma's recipe for date nut coconut candy before.
That's the gadget she used to chop the walnuts. Circa 1950 or so. The
glass base is stamped Federal Tool Corp. Chicago. The top is actually a
plastic measuring cup that pops off. It has a built-in shaker on the
top for sprinkling the chopped or ground nuts on something. The blades
seem to be still good and sharp.

According to eBay and other sites it's worth about $4. To me, it's
priceless.

Do you have any fun vintage stuff around the house?

Jill

Old 11-12-2015, 01:46 AM posted to rec.food.cooking

In article ,
says...

Does this thing remind anyone else of Robbie the Robot? It's a vintage
nut chopper. It belonged to my grandmother. An interesting little bit
of family cooking history.

http://i66.tinypic.com/20gickj.jpg

cool!

I have posted grandma's recipe for date nut coconut candy before.
That's the gadget she used to chop the walnuts. Circa 1950 or so. The
glass base is stamped Federal Tool Corp. Chicago. The top is actually a
plastic measuring cup that pops off. It has a built-in shaker on the
top for sprinkling the chopped or ground nuts on something. The blades
seem to be still good and sharp.

According to eBay and other sites it's worth about $4. To me, it's
priceless.

Do you have any fun vintage stuff around the house?

Jill

Lots of vintage dishes and plates, all of them blue and white but
none of them matching, a couple of which date from my parents. We use
them every day. Plus, inherited, my aunt's silverplated cutlery set
which we rarely use because it needs cleaning to look good( As a child I
cleaned that set every school holidsys for years).

Janet UK

Old 11-12-2015, 06:07 AM posted to rec.food.cooking

On Thursday, December 10, 2015 at 3:49:44 PM UTC-8, jmcquown wrote:
Does this thing remind anyone else of Robbie the Robot? It's a vintage
nut chopper. It belonged to my grandmother. An interesting little bit
of family cooking history.

http://i66.tinypic.com/20gickj.jpg

I have posted grandma's recipe for date nut coconut candy before.
That's the gadget she used to chop the walnuts. Circa 1950 or so. The
glass base is stamped Federal Tool Corp. Chicago. The top is actually a
plastic measuring cup that pops off. It has a built-in shaker on the
top for sprinkling the chopped or ground nuts on something. The blades
seem to be still good and sharp.

I had never heard of the Federal Tool Company of Chicago, but apparently
it was incorporated in 1916 and lasted until the 1980s, according to
an obituary of its last plant manager, one Daniel P. Phillips of
Evanston. It was involved with a patent suit over its spring syrup
pitcher -- one of those with a sliding metal strip cutting off the drip.
Old 11-12-2015, 12:13 PM posted to rec.food.cooking

"jmcquown" wrote in message
Does this thing remind anyone else of Robbie the Robot? It's a vintage
nut chopper. It belonged to my grandmother. An interesting little bit of
family cooking history.

http://i66.tinypic.com/20gickj.jpg

I have posted grandma's recipe for date nut coconut candy before. That's
the gadget she used to chop the walnuts. Circa 1950 or so. The glass
base is stamped Federal Tool Corp. Chicago. The top is actually a plastic
measuring cup that pops off. It has a built-in shaker on the top for
sprinkling the chopped or ground nuts on something. The blades seem to be
still good and sharp.

According to eBay and other sites it's worth about $4. To me, it's
priceless.

Do you have any fun vintage stuff around the house?

Jill

My mom and grandma both had nut choppers but not like that. They had the
same kind and they were not effective at all. Why? Because the nuts got
chopped randomly. You were left with dust and big chunks with only a few
pieces that were likely the size you were going for. You could keep going
and get nut dust if that was what you were after.

I don't think that I have anything vintage except for a green glass bowl
that I bought as a joke. My mom had one and she always put grapes in it. I
found it on Ebay for cheap. And when my parents came to visit, I served
them grapes in it but the joke was totally lost on them. I think I might
also still have the blue cornflower casserole dish that likely everyone has.

I mostly just don't like old stuff and I got rid of things that I didn't
use. I did have a lot of old glass decorative stuff but no more.

Old 11-12-2015, 12:45 PM posted to rec.food.cooking

On Thursday, December 10, 2015 at 6:49:44 PM UTC-5, jmcquown wrote:
Does this thing remind anyone else of Robbie the Robot? It's a vintage
nut chopper. It belonged to my grandmother. An interesting little bit
of family cooking history.

http://i66.tinypic.com/20gickj.jpg

I have posted grandma's recipe for date nut coconut candy before.
That's the gadget she used to chop the walnuts. Circa 1950 or so. The
glass base is stamped Federal Tool Corp. Chicago. The top is actually a
plastic measuring cup that pops off. It has a built-in shaker on the
top for sprinkling the chopped or ground nuts on something. The blades
seem to be still good and sharp.

According to eBay and other sites it's worth about $4. To me, it's
priceless.

Do you have any fun vintage stuff around the house?

Not me. If it can't go in the dishwasher, I don't want it.

"Old" doesn't hold any particular attraction to me. Must be
genetic. When I was a kid, our dishes were melamine until
Mom switched to Corelle in the 80s.

Cindy Hamilton

Old 11-12-2015, 02:06 PM posted to rec.food.cooking

On Thursday, December 10, 2015 at 5:49:44 PM UTC-6, jmcquown wrote:
Does this thing remind anyone else of Robbie the Robot? It's a vintage
nut chopper. It belonged to my grandmother. An interesting little bit
of family cooking history.

http://i66.tinypic.com/20gickj.jpg

I have posted grandma's recipe for date nut coconut candy before.
That's the gadget she used to chop the walnuts. Circa 1950 or so. The
glass base is stamped Federal Tool Corp. Chicago. The top is actually a
plastic measuring cup that pops off. It has a built-in shaker on the
top for sprinkling the chopped or ground nuts on something. The blades
seem to be still good and sharp.

According to eBay and other sites it's worth about $4. To me, it's
priceless.

Do you have any fun vintage stuff around the house?

My wife uses that type of nut chopper.

Jill

--Bryan
Old 11-12-2015, 02:44 PM posted to rec.food.cooking

On Thursday, December 10, 2015 at 6:49:44 PM UTC-5, jmcquown wrote:
Does this thing remind anyone else of Robbie the Robot? It's a vintage
nut chopper. It belonged to my grandmother. An interesting little bit
of family cooking history.

http://i66.tinypic.com/20gickj.jpg

I have posted grandma's recipe for date nut coconut candy before.
That's the gadget she used to chop the walnuts. Circa 1950 or so. The
glass base is stamped Federal Tool Corp. Chicago. The top is actually a
plastic measuring cup that pops off. It has a built-in shaker on the
top for sprinkling the chopped or ground nuts on something. The blades
seem to be still good and sharp.

According to eBay and other sites it's worth about $4. To me, it's
priceless.

Do you have any fun vintage stuff around the house?

Jill

I have a similar item and it works extremely well. It's still available for purchase.

http://www.richardfisher.com
Old 11-12-2015, 02:56 PM posted to rec.food.cooking

On 12/11/2015 6:45 AM, Cindy Hamilton wrote:
[...]

I like old gadgets but only if it's functional. The nut chopper still
works, should I ever need it.

My maternal grandparents had melamine. I still have one of the divided
serving bowls and a platter. Functional. Mom bought Corelle when it
first came out. She was still using it in 2008. I had a set, too, for
about 20 years. I got tired of it after a while. I donated the set to
the Salvation Army and bought a set of white stoneware to replace it.

Jill
Old 11-12-2015, 03:37 PM posted to rec.food.cooking

On 2015-12-10, jmcquown wrote:
Does this thing remind anyone else of Robbie the Robot? It's a vintage
nut chopper. It belonged to my grandmother. An interesting little bit
of family cooking history.

http://i66.tinypic.com/20gickj.jpg

We usta have one of those, but w/o the top cover.

nb
Old 11-12-2015, 03:56 PM posted to rec.food.cooking

On 2015-12-10, jmcquown wrote:
Does this thing remind anyone else of Robbie the Robot? It's a vintage
nut chopper. It belonged to my grandmother. An interesting little bit
of family cooking history.

http://i66.tinypic.com/20gickj.jpg

We usta have one of those, but w/o the top cover.

nb

I don't see how it could work if it didn't have a cover above the metal
chopping blades.

Jill

Old 11-12-2015, 03:58 PM posted to rec.food.cooking

On 2015-12-11, jmcquown wrote:

I don't see how it could work if it didn't have a cover above the metal
chopping blades.

Jes turn the thing upside-down and turn the knob. Not exactly rocket
science.

nb
Old 11-12-2015, 04:04 PM posted to rec.food.cooking

On 2015-12-11, jmcquown wrote:

I don't see how it could work if it didn't have a cover above the metal
chopping blades.

Jes turn the thing upside-down and turn the knob. Not exactly rocket
science.

nb

Uh... okay. The chopped nuts are supposed to fall into the glass
container but sure, that would work.

I have one of these, too, a vintage cocktail shaker:

http://tinyurl.com/zrfc76g

I'll likely be selling it to one of my neighbors for about $10.

Jill
Old 11-12-2015, 04:21 PM posted to rec.food.cooking

jmcquown wrote:

Mom bought Corelle when it
first came out. She was still using it in 2008. I had a set, too, for
about 20 years. I got tired of it after a while. I donated the set to
the Salvation Army and bought a set of white stoneware to replace it.

I have very nice dishes and nice Oneida stainless flatware but on a
day to day basis, I still use my old
Corelleware dishes and the cheap supermarket flatware.

The good stuff I save for company and holidays.
Old 11-12-2015, 04:58 PM posted to rec.food.cooking

On 12/11/2015 10:21 AM, Gary wrote:
jmcquown wrote:

Mom bought Corelle when it
first came out. She was still using it in 2008. I had a set, too, for
about 20 years. I got tired of it after a while. I donated the set to
the Salvation Army and bought a set of white stoneware to replace it.

I have very nice dishes and nice Oneida stainless flatware but on a
day to day basis, I still use my old
Corelleware dishes and the cheap supermarket flatware.

The good stuff I save for company and holidays.

My everyday dishes are "good stuff". It suits me. I got tired of the
old stuff. Sosume.

The patterns when Corelle was first introduced were intended to match
the popular appliance shades of the day. Harvest Gold, Avocado Green
and the less popular IIRC Woodland Brown Corelle to go with what I call
Coppertone kitchen appliances.

http://tinyurl.com/nmucwht

I think I would have liked that brown on white pattern better. I had
the Harvest Gold, so did Mom. I just got tired of it. Donated the set
to the Salvation Army and got a nice white set of stoneware. I like
plain white dishes. You can vary the way a table setting looks simply
by changing the cloth, the placemats and/or the glassware.

Of course you and I both entertain so much, that's terribly important! LOL

Jill