Posted to rec.food.cooking

Default another Trader Joe's item

I don't usually buy pre-chopped items - but I've been buying a lot of
the precut butternut squash in the last few months, so my attitude is
softening. I saw a box of mixed diced onion, shallot and garlic. Of
course, I felt compelled to buy it, I'll figure out what to do with it
later.

Struck out asking for tarragon vinegar at Safeway's customer service
desk. They said they were the second largest store in the area and if
they don't have it on the shelf, no other Safeway does either. Moving
it to another list and will check at Lucky the next time I'm there.

--

Good Food.
Good Friends.
Posted to rec.food.cooking
Banned

On Tuesday, February 25, 2014 1:43:22 PM UTC-8, sf wrote:
> I don't usually buy pre-chopped items - but I've been buying a lot of
>
> the precut butternut squash in the last few months, so my attitude is
>
> softening. I saw a box of mixed diced onion, shallot and garlic. Of
>
> course, I felt compelled to buy it, I'll figure out what to do with it
>
> later.
>

> Struck out asking for tarragon vinegar at Safeway's customer service
>
> desk. They said they were the second largest store in the area and if
>
> they don't have it on the shelf, no other Safeway does either. Moving
>
> it to another list and will check at Lucky the next time I'm there.

If you have a Cash and Carry or other restaurant store around, you can find tarragon vinegar there.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Tue, 25 Feb 2014 14:05:15 -0800 (PST), ImStillMags
> wrote:
snip

>If you have a Cash and Carry or other restaurant store around, you can find tarragon vinegar there.

not in mine. BTDT
Janet US
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Tue, 25 Feb 2014 14:05:15 -0800 (PST), ImStillMags
> wrote:

> If you have a Cash and Carry or other restaurant store around, you can find tarragon vinegar there.

YES, I do! Both Cash & Carry and Smart & Final. Smart & Final is
easier to get to for me. Okay, I'll move tarragon vinegar to that
list - it's in the strip mall next to the one with Lucky anyway, so I
can hit both of them at the same time. I shop at Lucky whenever I
want lamb because theirs is American. FYI: Smart & Final is where I
finally tracked down Sara Lee English muffins. I also found an 8 oz
container of multi-colored pepper corns there for less than $5. I
don't know how they do it, but I'm glad they do!

Thanks a million!

--

Good Food.
Good Friends.
Posted to rec.food.cooking
gtr gtr is offline

On 2014-02-25 21:43:22 +0000, sf said:

> I don't usually buy pre-chopped items - but I've been buying a lot of
> the precut butternut squash in the last few months, so my attitude is
> softening. I saw a box of mixed diced onion, shallot and garlic. Of
> course, I felt compelled to buy it, I'll figure out what to do with it
> later.
>
> Struck out asking for tarragon vinegar at Safeway's customer service
> desk. They said they were the second largest store in the area and if
> they don't have it on the shelf, no other Safeway does either. Moving
> it to another list and will check at Lucky the next time I'm there.

Seems you've found something you like, but this might help. I've been
digging through Japanese pickling books over the past few months. Among
the many simple and tasty ideas are these...

Dill oil:

2.5 cups Vegetable Oil
1-2 sprigs dill
Place in oil, marinate 1 day or more.

For use: Saute some smelt, saute potatoes with a little bacon. This
stuff rules. I figure it can be done with anything you like.
Similarly...

Herbed Vinegar:

2.5 cups Vinegar
2 bay leaves
2-3 parsley stems
1 sprig thyme
2-3 sprigs tarragon
2-3 dried chile peppers
2-3 cloves garlic
2 tsp pepper corns

1. Seed the chiles, halve and core the garlic.
2. Mix the ingredients. Keep half day.

I think this thing could be done with or without damn near anything in
the list. I've yet to do it, but plan to without both the chiles and
the garlic--the two basic ingredients that are in ALL my pickled
vinegars.

Posted to rec.food.cooking
gtr gtr is offline

In other TJ news: They're turkey burgers are really excellent for quick
"I'm too pooped to cook" cooking.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

"sf" > wrote in message
>I don't usually buy pre-chopped items - but I've been buying a lot of
> the precut butternut squash in the last few months, so my attitude is
> softening. I saw a box of mixed diced onion, shallot and garlic. Of
> course, I felt compelled to buy it, I'll figure out what to do with it
> later.
>
> Struck out asking for tarragon vinegar at Safeway's customer service
> desk. They said they were the second largest store in the area and if
> they don't have it on the shelf, no other Safeway does either. Moving
> it to another list and will check at Lucky the next time I'm there.

1 bottle desired vinegar
1 bunch taragon
1 attractive bottle to suit

push taragon into bottle
pour in vinegar
affix lid

---

Posted to rec.food.cooking
gtr gtr is offline

On 2014-02-26 01:26:52 +0000, Paul M. Cook said:

> "sf" > wrote in message
>> I don't usually buy pre-chopped items - but I've been buying a lot of
>> the precut butternut squash in the last few months, so my attitude is
>> softening. I saw a box of mixed diced onion, shallot and garlic. Of
>> course, I felt compelled to buy it, I'll figure out what to do with it
>> later.
>>
>> Struck out asking for tarragon vinegar at Safeway's customer service
>> desk. They said they were the second largest store in the area and if
>> they don't have it on the shelf, no other Safeway does either. Moving
>> it to another list and will check at Lucky the next time I'm there.

> 1 bottle desired vinegar
> 1 bunch taragon
> 1 attractive bottle to suit
>
> push taragon into bottle
> pour in vinegar
> affix lid

You forgot the most important aspect: Modify in any way to suit your
needs or mood.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Tue, 25 Feb 2014 15:14:16 -0700, Janet Bostwick
> wrote:

> On Tue, 25 Feb 2014 14:05:15 -0800 (PST), ImStillMags
> > wrote:
> snip
> >
> >If you have a Cash and Carry or other restaurant store around, you can find tarragon vinegar there.

> not in mine. BTDT

Well, I've had enough success with Smart & Final that I'll look - it's
next to the store I was planning to check next anyway, so I won't be
going out of my way. Did you ever find tarragon vinegar or are you
looking for it too? The internet says it's a Heinz product.

I don't have a resale or non-profit number, so Restaurant Depot is out
for me.

--

Good Food.
Good Friends.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Tue, 25 Feb 2014 14:36:16 -0800, gtr > wrote:

> Herbed Vinegar:
>
> 2.5 cups Vinegar
> 2 bay leaves
> 2-3 parsley stems
> 1 sprig thyme
> 2-3 sprigs tarragon
> 2-3 dried chile peppers
> 2-3 cloves garlic
> 2 tsp pepper corns
>
> 1. Seed the chiles, halve and core the garlic.
> 2. Mix the ingredients. Keep half day.
>
> I think this thing could be done with or without damn near anything in
> the list. I've yet to do it, but plan to without both the chiles and
> the garlic--the two basic ingredients that are in ALL my pickled
> vinegars.

Thanks, I know I can make it - but that's not going to keep me from
looking for it anyway.

Say, where do you buy sherry vinegar? I've seen it at Sur la Table,
but it has to be sold elsewhere because I see such a huge number of
recipes that call for it - I think it must be possible to find easily
without resorting to the internet and I'm just not looking for it in
the right places.

--

Good Food.
Good Friends.

Posted to rec.food.cooking
gtr gtr is offline

On 2014-02-26 01:38:55 +0000, sf said:

> On Tue, 25 Feb 2014 14:36:16 -0800, gtr > wrote:
>
>> Herbed Vinegar:
>>
>> 2.5 cups Vinegar
>> 2 bay leaves
>> 2-3 parsley stems
>> 1 sprig thyme
>> 2-3 sprigs tarragon
>> 2-3 dried chile peppers
>> 2-3 cloves garlic
>> 2 tsp pepper corns
>>
>> 1. Seed the chiles, halve and core the garlic.
>> 2. Mix the ingredients. Keep half day.
>>
>> I think this thing could be done with or without damn near anything in
>> the list. I've yet to do it, but plan to without both the chiles and
>> the garlic--the two basic ingredients that are in ALL my pickled
>> vinegars.
>>

> Thanks, I know I can make it - but that's not going to keep me from
> looking for it anyway.
>
> Say, where do you buy sherry vinegar? I've seen it at Sur la Table,
> but it has to be sold elsewhere because I see such a huge number of
> recipes that call for it - I think it must be possible to find easily
> without resorting to the internet and I'm just not looking for it in
> the right places.

The wife is the keeper of the (many) kitchen elixirs, I'll ask her.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Tue, 25 Feb 2014 17:33:05 -0800, sf > wrote:

>On Tue, 25 Feb 2014 15:14:16 -0700, Janet Bostwick
> wrote:
>
>> On Tue, 25 Feb 2014 14:05:15 -0800 (PST), ImStillMags
>> > wrote:
>> snip
>> >
>> >If you have a Cash and Carry or other restaurant store around, you can find tarragon vinegar there.

>> not in mine. BTDT

>Well, I've had enough success with Smart & Final that I'll look - it's
>next to the store I was planning to check next anyway, so I won't be
>going out of my way. Did you ever find tarragon vinegar or are you
>looking for it too? The internet says it's a Heinz product.
>
>I don't have a resale or non-profit number, so Restaurant Depot is out
>for me.

So many of the recipes I read and am interested in call for tarragon
vinegar. TJ's opens 2/28. I'll try there and then try my food co-op.
I don't hold much hope for my food co-op. I finally found sherry
vinegar there but I really read the surrounding shelves and tarragon
vinegar doesn't pop into my brain as having been there.
Janet US
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Tue, 25 Feb 2014 17:38:55 -0800, sf > wrote:
snip

>Say, where do you buy sherry vinegar? I've seen it at Sur la Table,
>but it has to be sold elsewhere because I see such a huge number of
>recipes that call for it - I think it must be possible to find easily
>without resorting to the internet and I'm just not looking for it in
>the right places.

I found it at my food co-op. My step-daughter has told my what store
she goes to in SF that is the same (chain?). I simply don't remember
the name. I think it is one you have mentioned. If one is
convenient to you maybe you can find it there.
Janet US
Posted to rec.food.cooking
gtr gtr is offline

On 2014-02-26 02:20:41 +0000, gtr said:

>> Say, where do you buy sherry vinegar? I've seen it at Sur la Table,
>> but it has to be sold elsewhere because I see such a huge number of
>> recipes that call for it - I think it must be possible to find easily
>> without resorting to the internet and I'm just not looking for it in
>> the right places.

> The wife is the keeper of the (many) kitchen elixirs, I'll ask her.

She tells me she gets it at Trader Joe's, that it's Spanish, and it's
the one she says she sees just about everywhere and likely has bought
it at Bristol Farms, Whole Foods or maybe even grocery stores. I typed
it in at Amazon and there's a jillion brands. Many of them Spanish.

Just yelled in from the kitchen, "La Posada" imported out of NJ
somewhere. It's not the $37 dollar variety.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

"Paul M. Cook" > wrote in message

> "sf" > wrote in message
>>I don't usually buy pre-chopped items - but I've been buying a lot of
>> the precut butternut squash in the last few months, so my attitude is
>> softening. I saw a box of mixed diced onion, shallot and garlic. Of
>> course, I felt compelled to buy it, I'll figure out what to do with it
>> later.
>>
>> Struck out asking for tarragon vinegar at Safeway's customer service
>> desk. They said they were the second largest store in the area and if
>> they don't have it on the shelf, no other Safeway does either. Moving
>> it to another list and will check at Lucky the next time I'm there.

> 1 bottle desired vinegar
> 1 bunch taragon
> 1 attractive bottle to suit
>
> push taragon into bottle
> pour in vinegar
> affix lid

I just use white wine vinegar for my herbs

--
http://www.helpforheroes.org.uk/shop/

Posted to rec.food.cooking

"Paul M. Cook" > wrote in message

> "sf" > wrote in message
>>I don't usually buy pre-chopped items - but I've been buying a lot of
>> the precut butternut squash in the last few months, so my attitude is
>> softening. I saw a box of mixed diced onion, shallot and garlic. Of
>> course, I felt compelled to buy it, I'll figure out what to do with it
>> later.
>>
>> Struck out asking for tarragon vinegar at Safeway's customer service
>> desk. They said they were the second largest store in the area and if
>> they don't have it on the shelf, no other Safeway does either. Moving
>> it to another list and will check at Lucky the next time I'm there.

> 1 bottle desired vinegar
> 1 bunch taragon
> 1 attractive bottle to suit
>
> push taragon into bottle
> pour in vinegar
> affix lid

If this had been done when the first post on the topic appeared, it would be
just about ready by now.
Graham

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Tue, 25 Feb 2014 21:41:16 -0800, gtr > wrote:

> On 2014-02-26 02:20:41 +0000, gtr said:
>
> >> Say, where do you buy sherry vinegar? I've seen it at Sur la Table,
> >> but it has to be sold elsewhere because I see such a huge number of
> >> recipes that call for it - I think it must be possible to find easily
> >> without resorting to the internet and I'm just not looking for it in
> >> the right places.

> > The wife is the keeper of the (many) kitchen elixirs, I'll ask her.

> She tells me she gets it at Trader Joe's, that it's Spanish, and it's
> the one she says she sees just about everywhere and likely has bought
> it at Bristol Farms, Whole Foods or maybe even grocery stores. I typed
> it in at Amazon and there's a jillion brands. Many of them Spanish.

I know for sure the two TJ's nearest me don't stock it, because I've
looked. I also know TJ's has a lot more available inventory than what
appears in the store, so I guess sherry vinegar is more easily
available around here than I thought via my experience with Safeway.
Called several places yesterday and Lucky has it (but no tarragon
vinegar). Didn't even think about checking with WF... and there's one
less than a mile away! I'll check there later.

I finally found tarragon vinegar at Rainbow grocery (only one bottle
left), but they had lots of Sherry vinegar. So, I'll call Rainbow
before I go to confirm if they have any tarragon and if they do, I'll
get both there - otherwise, I'll go to WF... if they have any sherry
vinegar on the shelf. What was odd to me is Williams Sonoma (which is
even closer to me than WF is) didn't have either sherry or tarragon
vinegar on their web site. Haven't called the store yet, but maybe I
should.

> Just yelled in from the kitchen, "La Posada" imported out of NJ
> somewhere. It's not the $37 dollar variety.

Thanks.

--

Good Food.
Good Friends.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Tue, 25 Feb 2014 22:15:28 -0700, Janet Bostwick
> wrote:

> On Tue, 25 Feb 2014 17:38:55 -0800, sf > wrote:
> snip
> >
> >Say, where do you buy sherry vinegar? I've seen it at Sur la Table,
> >but it has to be sold elsewhere because I see such a huge number of
> >recipes that call for it - I think it must be possible to find easily
> >without resorting to the internet and I'm just not looking for it in
> >the right places.

> I found it at my food co-op. My step-daughter has told my what store
> she goes to in SF that is the same (chain?). I simply don't remember
> the name. I think it is one you have mentioned. If one is
> convenient to you maybe you can find it there.

It would be interesting to find out what store that is. I phoned
around and found it at Lucky's - the one that's closest to me (less
than 2 miles away) has a nightmare parking lot, so I go to the one
that's further away if there's something I want from there that I
can't find elsewhere at a reasonable price (like American lamb). I
also go there for canning supplies.

We have a couple of food co-ops, but they are employee owned and
independent. One of them stocks items you can't even find at Whole
Foods... great place, but a trip that needs to be planned. It's
another horrible parking situation, so I usually just have hubby drive
me and let him find parking that suits his fancy.

--

Good Food.
Good Friends.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Tue, 25 Feb 2014 17:26:52 -0800, "Paul M. Cook" >
wrote:

> "sf" > wrote in message
> >I don't usually buy pre-chopped items - but I've been buying a lot of
> > the precut butternut squash in the last few months, so my attitude is
> > softening. I saw a box of mixed diced onion, shallot and garlic. Of
> > course, I felt compelled to buy it, I'll figure out what to do with it
> > later.
> >
> > Struck out asking for tarragon vinegar at Safeway's customer service
> > desk. They said they were the second largest store in the area and if
> > they don't have it on the shelf, no other Safeway does either. Moving
> > it to another list and will check at Lucky the next time I'm there.

> 1 bottle desired vinegar
> 1 bunch taragon
> 1 attractive bottle to suit
>
> push taragon into bottle
> pour in vinegar
> affix lid

All well and good + plus I knew I had that option, but I don't want to
make it myself. I do NOT trust anything made that way unless it's
used immediately.

--

Good Food.
Good Friends.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Wednesday, February 26, 2014 2:00:04 PM UTC-8, sf wrote:

> > > The wife is the keeper of the (many) kitchen elixirs, I'll ask her.

> > She tells me she gets it at Trader Joe's, that it's Spanish, and it's

> > the one she says she sees just about everywhere and likely has bought

> > it at Bristol Farms, Whole Foods or maybe even grocery stores. I typed

> > it in at Amazon and there's a jillion brands. Many of them Spanish.

> I know for sure the two TJ's nearest me don't stock it, because I've
>
> looked. I also know TJ's has a lot more available inventory than what
>
> appears in the store, so I guess sherry vinegar is more easily
>
> available around here than I thought via my experience with Safeway.
>
> Called several places yesterday and Lucky has it (but no tarragon
>
> vinegar). Didn't even think about checking with WF... and there's one
>
> less than a mile away! I'll check there later.
>

> I finally found tarragon vinegar at Rainbow grocery (only one bottle
>
> left), but they had lots of Sherry vinegar. So, I'll call Rainbow
>
> before I go to confirm if they have any tarragon and if they do, I'll
>
> get both there - otherwise, I'll go to WF... if they have any sherry
>
> vinegar on the shelf. What was odd to me is Williams Sonoma (which is
>
> even closer to me than WF is) didn't have either sherry or tarragon
>
> vinegar on their web site. Haven't called the store yet, but maybe I
>
> should.
>

> > Just yelled in from the kitchen, "La Posada" imported out of NJ

> > somewhere. It's not the $37 dollar variety.

> Thanks.
>

> --
>

> Good Food.
>
> Good Friends.
>
> Good Memories.

I pinged you to tell you that I found tarragon vinegar at Nob Hill Raley's for $4.29. Lucky's didn't have it.

I know you don't have one near you, but from your posts I know you occasionally venture Redwood City way.

I think they had the sherry vinegar as well.

HTH

Julie P

Posted to rec.food.cooking

"sf" > wrote in message
>> 1 bottle desired vinegar
>> 1 bunch taragon
>> 1 attractive bottle to suit
>>
>> push taragon into bottle
>> pour in vinegar
>> affix lid
>>

> All well and good + plus I knew I had that option, but I don't want to
> make it myself. I do NOT trust anything made that way unless it's
> used immediately.

Why ever not? It'll keep indefinitely as it's 5% acetic acid.
Graham

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On 2/26/2014 5:08 PM, sf wrote:
> On Tue, 25 Feb 2014 17:26:52 -0800, "Paul M. Cook" >
> wrote:
>

>> "sf" > wrote in message
>>> I don't usually buy pre-chopped items - but I've been buying a lot of
>>> the precut butternut squash in the last few months, so my attitude is
>>> softening. I saw a box of mixed diced onion, shallot and garlic. Of
>>> course, I felt compelled to buy it, I'll figure out what to do with it
>>> later.
>>>
>>> Struck out asking for tarragon vinegar at Safeway's customer service
>>> desk. They said they were the second largest store in the area and if
>>> they don't have it on the shelf, no other Safeway does either. Moving
>>> it to another list and will check at Lucky the next time I'm there.

>> 1 bottle desired vinegar
>> 1 bunch taragon
>> 1 attractive bottle to suit
>>
>> push taragon into bottle
>> pour in vinegar
>> affix lid
>>

> All well and good + plus I knew I had that option, but I don't want to
> make it myself. I do NOT trust anything made that way unless it's
> used immediately.

The local Giant store has tarragon vinegar.

--
Jim Silverton (Potomac, MD)

Extraneous "not." in Reply To.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

"graham" > wrote in message

> "sf" > wrote in message
>>> 1 bottle desired vinegar
>>> 1 bunch taragon
>>> 1 attractive bottle to suit
>>>
>>> push taragon into bottle
>>> pour in vinegar
>>> affix lid
>>>

>> All well and good + plus I knew I had that option, but I don't want to
>> make it myself. I do NOT trust anything made that way unless it's
>> used immediately.
>>

> Why ever not? It'll keep indefinitely as it's 5% acetic acid.

That's right. I keep mine for a long time with no problem.

--
http://www.helpforheroes.org.uk/shop/

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Wed, 26 Feb 2014 17:25:22 -0500, James Silverton
> wrote:

> The local Giant store has tarragon vinegar.

Okay, now I'm jealous! You must be closer to France than I am.

--

Good Food.
Good Friends.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

"sf" > wrote in message
> On Tue, 25 Feb 2014 17:26:52 -0800, "Paul M. Cook" >
> wrote:
>

>> "sf" > wrote in message
>> >I don't usually buy pre-chopped items - but I've been buying a lot of
>> > the precut butternut squash in the last few months, so my attitude is
>> > softening. I saw a box of mixed diced onion, shallot and garlic. Of
>> > course, I felt compelled to buy it, I'll figure out what to do with it
>> > later.
>> >
>> > Struck out asking for tarragon vinegar at Safeway's customer service
>> > desk. They said they were the second largest store in the area and if
>> > they don't have it on the shelf, no other Safeway does either. Moving
>> > it to another list and will check at Lucky the next time I'm there.

>> 1 bottle desired vinegar
>> 1 bunch taragon
>> 1 attractive bottle to suit
>>
>> push taragon into bottle
>> pour in vinegar
>> affix lid
>>

> All well and good + plus I knew I had that option, but I don't want to
> make it myself. I do NOT trust anything made that way unless it's
> used immediately.

I know of nothing harmful that can grow in vinegar. The acidity is so high
it is not viable for any forms of life I know of. Possibly some rare moulds
but that would be extreme.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

"sf" > wrote in message
> On Wed, 26 Feb 2014 17:25:22 -0500, James Silverton
> > wrote:
>
>> The local Giant store has tarragon vinegar.

> Okay, now I'm jealous! You must be closer to France than I am.

My Vons has about a dozen flavored vinegars including tarragon, rosemary and
thyme.

..

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Wed, 26 Feb 2014 18:10:31 -0800, "Paul M. Cook" >
wrote:

> "sf" > wrote in message
> > On Wed, 26 Feb 2014 17:25:22 -0500, James Silverton
> > > wrote:
> >
> >> The local Giant store has tarragon vinegar.

> > Okay, now I'm jealous! You must be closer to France than I am.

> My Vons has about a dozen flavored vinegars including tarragon, rosemary and
> thyme.

Sounds like your Von's is a WHOLE lot more sophisticated than my local
Safeway! Not sure if it indicates that those products can be
purchased elsewhere for the same or less or indicating those products
are can be purchased locally.

Customer service at the Safeway I'm talking about told me they were
the second largest in the area. Unfortunately, I have absolutely *no*
idea where the larger one is located. I'll ask the next time I'm
there (if I remember).

The main point is that they told me they absolutely had no option to
order it. I thought that was BS... but it's what they told me, even
under cross examination. Such is life. They say they don't carry it,
well - someone else does.

The biggest issue I have with Safeway is that they can't look into a
computer and tell me what other store has the item I want in stock.
Trader Joe's can do that! I have no idea why a nation wide (actually:
international) company can't/won't do that. Well, yes I can... but
it's all about pitting one store against the other and has nothing to
do with real customer service.

--

Good Food.
Good Friends.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

"Paul M. Cook" > wrote in message

> "sf" > wrote in message
>> On Wed, 26 Feb 2014 17:25:22 -0500, James Silverton
>> > wrote:
>>
>>> The local Giant store has tarragon vinegar.

>> Okay, now I'm jealous! You must be closer to France than I am.

> My Vons has about a dozen flavored vinegars including tarragon, rosemary
> and thyme.

I have rosemary and thyme, but I make them myself.

--
http://www.helpforheroes.org.uk/shop/

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Thu, 27 Feb 2014 10:02:08 -0000, "Ophelia"
> wrote:

> "Paul M. Cook" > wrote in message
> >
> > "sf" > wrote in message
> >> On Wed, 26 Feb 2014 17:25:22 -0500, James Silverton

> >> Okay, now I'm jealous! You must be closer to France than I am.

> > My Vons has about a dozen flavored vinegars including tarragon, rosemary
> > and thyme.

> I have rosemary and thyme, but I make them myself.

How do you use those vinegars?

--

Good Food.
Good Friends.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

"sf" > wrote in message
> On Thu, 27 Feb 2014 10:02:08 -0000, "Ophelia"
> > wrote:

>> > My Vons has about a dozen flavored vinegars including tarragon,
>> > rosemary
>> > and thyme.

>> I have rosemary and thyme, but I make them myself.

> How do you use those vinegars?

Salad dressings mostly or anything I want to serve dressed with oil and
vinegar.

--
http://www.helpforheroes.org.uk/shop/

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On 2/27/2014 9:42 AM, sf wrote:
> On Thu, 27 Feb 2014 10:02:08 -0000, "Ophelia"
> > wrote:

>>> My Vons has about a dozen flavored vinegars including tarragon, rosemary
>>> and thyme.

>> I have rosemary and thyme, but I make them myself.

> How do you use those vinegars?

I think I have mentioned that I like broiled trout flavored with
tarragon. I just sprinkle tarragon vinegar on the flesh before broiling
if I don't have fresh tarragon (usually, the case :-)

--
Jim Silverton (Potomac, MD)

Extraneous "not." in Reply To.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Thu, 27 Feb 2014 11:28:13 -0500, James Silverton
> wrote:

> I think I have mentioned that I like broiled trout flavored with
> tarragon. I just sprinkle tarragon vinegar on the flesh before broiling
> if I don't have fresh tarragon (usually, the case :-)

I wanted the tarragon vinegar for a similar reason. I watched Ina
Garten make her béarnaise sauce with it a couple of weeks ago and it
was a light-bulb moment for me. I never made béarnaise because I
don't use tarragon and never have it on hand, but if I had tarragon
flavored vinegar - problem solved!

--

Good Food.
Good Friends.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

In article >,
says...

> On Wed, 26 Feb 2014 18:10:31 -0800, "Paul M. Cook" >
> wrote:
> >
> > "sf" > wrote in message
> > > On Wed, 26 Feb 2014 17:25:22 -0500, James Silverton

> > > Okay, now I'm jealous! You must be closer to France than I am.

> > My Vons has about a dozen flavored vinegars including tarragon, rosemary and
> > thyme.
> >

> Sounds like your Von's is a WHOLE lot more sophisticated than my local
> Safeway! Not sure if it indicates that those products can be
> purchased elsewhere for the same or less or indicating those products
> are can be purchased locally.
>
> Customer service at the Safeway I'm talking about told me they were
> the second largest in the area. Unfortunately, I have absolutely *no*
> idea where the larger one is located. I'll ask the next time I'm
> there (if I remember).
>
> The main point is that they told me they absolutely had no option to
> order it. I thought that was BS... but it's what they told me, even
> under cross examination. Such is life. They say they don't carry it,
> well - someone else does.
>
> The biggest issue I have with Safeway is that they can't look into a
> computer and tell me what other store has the item I want in stock.
> Trader Joe's can do that! I have no idea why a nation wide (actually:
> international) company can't/won't do that. Well, yes I can... but
> it's all about pitting one store against the other and has nothing to
> do with real customer service.

Part of the problem may be the way they push their updates into the
store computers. I recall one POS system I used to install that would
poll all the remote systems for POS and GL updates and it would push
down any new item definitions, cost setups etc. It was before broadband
was relatively inexpensive.

But here's the thing - all supermarkets accept credit and debit cards
these days. So it means there's an active net connection behind all
that. So the more likely thing is that the store employees were blowing
smoke.

Posted to rec.food.cooking
gtr gtr is offline

On 2014-02-27 16:28:13 +0000, James Silverton said:

>> How do you use those vinegars?
>>

> I think I have mentioned that I like broiled trout flavored with
> tarragon. I just sprinkle tarragon vinegar on the flesh before broiling
> if I don't have fresh tarragon (usually, the case :-)

Sounds like a great all purpose idea. But then trout--almost any kinda
way--sounds like a good idea.

We do a semi-Japanese meal with broiled salmon on a regular basis, at
least every two weeks, I think the idea of an infused vinegar as a
quickie marinade sounds excellent, particularly infused with any one of
a number of herbs. Right now I'm kind of on a thyme kick; we have a
plant in the yard.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

"T" > wrote in message
> In article >, lid
> says...
>>
>> "sf" > wrote in message
>> > On Thu, 27 Feb 2014 10:02:08 -0000, "Ophelia"

>> > How do you use those vinegars?

>> Salad dressings mostly or anything I want to serve dressed with oil and
>> vinegar.

> Around here I can get white vinegar, cider vinegar, red wine vinegar,
> balsamic vinegar. If I want to infuse any I just get fresh herbs and use
> white vinegar.

Same here. We can get all manner of vinegars, but like you, I prefer white
for my herbs.

> Another use for these infused vinegars is in pickling! I've got some red
> and green Bell peppers in jars with a brine composed of one quart water,
> 2 tablespoons of salt, and 1/4c of white vinegar. They've been sitting
> for a few days. Probably crack them open next week. I love pickled
> peppers.

I had forgotten about that)

--
http://www.helpforheroes.org.uk/shop/

Posted to rec.food.cooking

"gtr" > wrote in message news:201402270937437210-xxx@yyyzzz...
> On 2014-02-27 17:16:57 +0000, T said:
>
>> In article >, lid
>> says...

>>> Salad dressings mostly or anything I want to serve dressed with oil and
>>> vinegar.

>> Around here I can get white vinegar, cider vinegar, red wine vinegar,
>> balsamic vinegar. If I want to infuse any I just get fresh herbs and use
>> white vinegar.
>>
>> Another use for these infused vinegars is in pickling! I've got some red
>> and green Bell peppers in jars with a brine composed of one quart water,
>> 2 tablespoons of salt, and 1/4c of white vinegar. They've been sitting
>> for a few days. Probably crack them open next week. I love pickled
>> peppers.

> You've infused balsamic vinegar?

Hmmm that would be new to me. My favourite way for using balsamic is
sprinkled over some veggies. Yummmmmmmmmmmm) How do you use yours?

--
http://www.helpforheroes.org.uk/shop/

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Thu, 27 Feb 2014 09:11:10 -0800, sf > wrote:

>On Thu, 27 Feb 2014 11:28:13 -0500, James Silverton
> wrote:
>
>> I think I have mentioned that I like broiled trout flavored with
>> tarragon. I just sprinkle tarragon vinegar on the flesh before broiling
>> if I don't have fresh tarragon (usually, the case :-)

>I wanted the tarragon vinegar for a similar reason. I watched Ina
>Garten make her béarnaise sauce with it a couple of weeks ago and it
>was a light-bulb moment for me. I never made béarnaise because I
>don't use tarragon and never have it on hand, but if I had tarragon
>flavored vinegar - problem solved!

The main herb I infuse is purple basil. For that I use white wine
vinegar. I need to remember to infuse a few other herbs this summer.
Maybe rosemary or tarragon.
--
Susan N.