Posted to rec.food.cooking

Default Another new item to discuss

The thread about the new Ziploc Steam Bags reminded me of a new item
that we've been enjoying at our house. It's Kraft Grate-It-Fresh
parmesan cheese. It's got a grater built on to the package and you
just turn it to get freshly grated parm. When all the parm is gone,
you just throw the whole thing away (or recycle it hopefully). I like
fresh parm and I don't miss the hassle of cleaning the hand-held
grater. This item costs about $4 IIRC for 7 oz..

Has anyone tried this?

Mike

Posted to rec.food.cooking

"Mike" > wrote in message
ups.com...
> The thread about the new Ziploc Steam Bags reminded me of a new item
> that we've been enjoying at our house. It's Kraft Grate-It-Fresh
> parmesan cheese. It's got a grater built on to the package and you
> just turn it to get freshly grated parm. When all the parm is gone,
> you just throw the whole thing away (or recycle it hopefully). I like
> fresh parm and I don't miss the hassle of cleaning the hand-held
> grater. This item costs about $4 IIRC for 7 oz..
>
> Has anyone tried this?
>
> Mike

Some plastic is still NOT made from recycled materials. The stupid excess
packaging you buy may be contributing to the Wahhabi schools that turn out
terrorists, just like every gallon of gas we buy.

Thanks very much.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

Mike wrote:
> The thread about the new Ziploc Steam Bags reminded me of a new item
> that we've been enjoying at our house. It's Kraft Grate-It-Fresh
> parmesan cheese. It's got a grater built on to the package and you
> just turn it to get freshly grated parm. When all the parm is gone,
> you just throw the whole thing away (or recycle it hopefully). I like
> fresh parm and I don't miss the hassle of cleaning the hand-held
> grater. This item costs about $4 IIRC for 7 oz..
>
> Has anyone tried this?

Ohhhhhhhh my gawd. I did. I was cooking for someone and had to use the
market near them to pick up parmesan and that is *all* they had in block
form. The only other option was grated in the green can. FoodLion was
the market-a nasty chain if ever I saw one. UGH!
Back to the cheese-what a PIECE OF SHIT gimmick. A mediocre tasting
piece of cheese inside a huge plastic tube which lets it dry out and a
plastic grater that doesn't grate worth a damn.
Gimme some good quality cheese and my good grater anyday. The grater
gets put into the dishwasher so how much bother is it? A LOT easier as
well as tastier than that stuff.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

"Mike" > wrote in message
ups.com...
> The thread about the new Ziploc Steam Bags reminded me of a new item
> that we've been enjoying at our house. It's Kraft Grate-It-Fresh
> parmesan cheese. It's got a grater built on to the package and you
> just turn it to get freshly grated parm. When all the parm is gone,
> you just throw the whole thing away (or recycle it hopefully). I like
> fresh parm and I don't miss the hassle of cleaning the hand-held
> grater. This item costs about $4 IIRC for 7 oz..
>
> Has anyone tried this?

Not for $4 of r 7 oz of cheese I haven't, and am not likely to.

It sounds neat though.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Sep 19, 1:23 pm, Mike > wrote:
> The thread about the new Ziploc Steam Bags reminded me of a new item
> that we've been enjoying at our house. It's Kraft Grate-It-Fresh
> parmesan cheese. It's got a grater built on to the package and you
> just turn it to get freshly grated parm. When all the parm is gone,
> you just throw the whole thing away (or recycle it hopefully). I like
> fresh parm and I don't miss the hassle of cleaning the hand-held
> grater. This item costs about $4 IIRC for 7 oz..

So that a little over $8 per pound for your parmesan cheese. You'd
probably be better served by buying a microplane-type grater and
real parmesan. I recently saw a test of parmesan on America's Test
Kitchen;
the domestic DiGiorno parm stood up well against the imported
Parmagiano-Reggiano and was about $8 per pound.

The microplane grater is easy to clean; in fact I just put mine in the
silverware
basket in the dishwasher. I think mine is actually a Cuispro rather
than the
real deal, but it works well enough.

Cindy Hamilton

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Sep 19, 1:25 pm, "JoeSpareBedroom" > wrote:
> "Mike" > wrote in message
>
> ups.com...
>
> > The thread about the new Ziploc Steam Bags reminded me of a new item
> > that we've been enjoying at our house. It's Kraft Grate-It-Fresh
> > parmesan cheese. It's got a grater built on to the package and you
> > just turn it to get freshly grated parm. When all the parm is gone,
> > you just throw the whole thing away (or recycle it hopefully). I like
> > fresh parm and I don't miss the hassle of cleaning the hand-held
> > grater. This item costs about $4 IIRC for 7 oz..

> > Has anyone tried this?

> > Mike

> Some plastic is still NOT made from recycled materials. The stupid excess
> packaging you buy may be contributing to the Wahhabi schools that turn out
> terrorists, just like every gallon of gas we buy.
>
> Thanks very much.

Don't you have some songs to learn? ;->

Posted to rec.food.cooking

"Mike" > wrote in message
oups.com...
> On Sep 19, 1:25 pm, "JoeSpareBedroom" > wrote:
>> "Mike" > wrote in message
>>
>> ups.com...
>>
>> > The thread about the new Ziploc Steam Bags reminded me of a new item
>> > that we've been enjoying at our house. It's Kraft Grate-It-Fresh
>> > parmesan cheese. It's got a grater built on to the package and you
>> > just turn it to get freshly grated parm. When all the parm is gone,
>> > you just throw the whole thing away (or recycle it hopefully). I like
>> > fresh parm and I don't miss the hassle of cleaning the hand-held
>> > grater. This item costs about $4 IIRC for 7 oz..

>> > Has anyone tried this?

>> > Mike

>> Some plastic is still NOT made from recycled materials. The stupid excess
>> packaging you buy may be contributing to the Wahhabi schools that turn
>> out
>> terrorists, just like every gallon of gas we buy.
>>
>> Thanks very much.

> Don't you have some songs to learn? ;->

Yes, and I can effectively think about 300 other things simultaneously.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Sep 19, 2:21 pm, Steve Wertz > wrote:
> On Wed, 19 Sep 2007 10:23:28 -0700, Mike wrote:
> > The thread about the new Ziploc Steam Bags reminded me of a new item
> > that we've been enjoying at our house. It's Kraft Grate-It-Fresh
> > parmesan cheese. It's got a grater built on to the package and you
> > just turn it to get freshly grated parm. When all the parm is gone,
> > you just throw the whole thing away (or recycle it hopefully). I like
> > fresh parm and I don't miss the hassle of cleaning the hand-held
> > grater. This item costs about $4 IIRC for 7 oz..

> How hard is it to clean a grater? As soon as your done, you
> rinse it off while rubbing your fingers over it. Especially for
> parmesan/romono - what could be easier - even a moron could do
> that.
>
> -sw

And only a moron assumes that everyone has the same kind of grater
that he does.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

Michael "Dog3" wrote:

> I agree 100% Goomba. The stuff is NASTY I used it because I was in a hurry.
> "PIECE OF SHIT" is an accurate description. I could have dealt with the
> taste of the cheese because I was not feeding foodies but the grater was
> either defective or is just a really bad grater. And yes, the cheese dries
> out. I'm with you. Gimme good cheese and my trusty old grater anytime.
>
> Michael

And I was totally offended by the excess packaging.
Years ago when we were living in Germany they passed a law that the
sellers had to take back any packaging that the customer didn't want. So
you'd have an area where you could remove excess cardboard or wrappings
and they had the burden of disposing of or recycling them. I can't stand
how in the US small items are sold in huge wasteful boxes. I'm sure it
is so they'll stand out on a market shelf or look like more than there
is for the price. It shames me to think how stupid some people are to
fall for this. <sigh>
Posted to rec.food.cooking

Mike wrote:
> On Sep 19, 2:21 pm, Steve Wertz > wrote:
>> On Wed, 19 Sep 2007 10:23:28 -0700, Mike wrote:
>>> The thread about the new Ziploc Steam Bags reminded me of a new item
>>> that we've been enjoying at our house. It's Kraft Grate-It-Fresh
>>> parmesan cheese. It's got a grater built on to the package and you
>>> just turn it to get freshly grated parm. When all the parm is gone,
>>> you just throw the whole thing away (or recycle it hopefully). I like
>>> fresh parm and I don't miss the hassle of cleaning the hand-held
>>> grater. This item costs about $4 IIRC for 7 oz..

>> How hard is it to clean a grater? As soon as your done, you
>> rinse it off while rubbing your fingers over it. Especially for
>> parmesan/romono - what could be easier - even a moron could do
>> that.
>>
>> -sw

> And only a moron assumes that everyone has the same kind of grater
> that he does.

Well, guess I am a moron too. I don't have a dishwasher - but cleaning a
grater after use is no "biggie" to me either...

--
Cheers
Chatty Cathy

Garlic: the element without which life as we know it would be impossible

Posted to rec.food.cooking

Goomba38 wrote:

> And I was totally offended by the excess packaging.
> Years ago when we were living in Germany they passed a law that the
> sellers had to take back any packaging that the customer didn't want.
> So you'd have an area where you could remove excess cardboard or
> wrappings and they had the burden of disposing of or recycling them.

Now there's a good idea for a law!
Posted to rec.food.cooking

"ChattyCathy" > wrote in message
> Mike wrote:
>>> How hard is it to clean a grater? As soon as your done, you
>>> rinse it off while rubbing your fingers over it. Especially for
>>> parmesan/romono - what could be easier - even a moron could do
>>> that.
>>>
>>> -sw

>> And only a moron assumes that everyone has the same kind of grater
>> that he does.
>>

> Well, guess I am a moron too. I don't have a dishwasher - but cleaning a
> grater after use is no "biggie" to me either...
>
> --
> Cheers
> Chatty Cathy

High tech method: toothbrush.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Sep 19, 3:22 pm, Steve Wertz > wrote:
> On Wed, 19 Sep 2007 11:29:08 -0700, Mike wrote:
> > And only a moron assumes that everyone has the same kind of grater
> > that he does.

> I can't imagine how they could design a grater that was hard to
> clean.

My mom had this stupid steel one when I was a kid. It WAS hard to
clean. I can't imagine anyone making one like that these days. I
can't imagine anyone keeping such a device, when you could buy a nice
plastic (easily cleanable) one for a few bucks.

> -sw

--Bryan

Posted to rec.food.cooking

Bobo Bonobo® wrote:

> My mom had this stupid steel one when I was a kid. It WAS hard to
> clean. I can't imagine anyone making one like that these days. I
> can't imagine anyone keeping such a device, when you could buy a nice
> plastic (easily cleanable) one for a few bucks.
>> -sw

> --Bryan

I would *never* pick plastic over a standard aluminum or stainless
grater, which are a snap to clean. In fact, I can't say I've ever *seen*
a plastic grater except on this stupid Kraft item we've been discussing???

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Sep 19, 1:29 pm, Mike > wrote:
> On Sep 19, 2:21 pm, Steve Wertz > wrote:
>
> > On Wed, 19 Sep 2007 10:23:28 -0700, Mike wrote:
> > > The thread about the new Ziploc Steam Bags reminded me of a new item
> > > that we've been enjoying at our house. It's Kraft Grate-It-Fresh
> > > parmesan cheese. It's got a grater built on to the package and you
> > > just turn it to get freshly grated parm. When all the parm is gone,
> > > you just throw the whole thing away (or recycle it hopefully). I like
> > > fresh parm and I don't miss the hassle of cleaning the hand-held
> > > grater. This item costs about $4 IIRC for 7 oz..

> > How hard is it to clean a grater? As soon as your done, you
> > rinse it off while rubbing your fingers over it. Especially for
> > parmesan/romono - what could be easier - even a moron could do
> > that.

> > -sw

> And only a moron assumes that everyone has the same kind of grater
> that he does.

I don't know about your grater but if I ran my fingers across mine I
would spend more time cleaning up the blood then cleaning the cheese
off.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Sep 19, 4:04 pm, Goomba38 > wrote:
> Bobo Bonobo® wrote:
> > My mom had this stupid steel one when I was a kid. It WAS hard to
> > clean. I can't imagine anyone making one like that these days. I
> > can't imagine anyone keeping such a device, when you could buy a nice
> > plastic (easily cleanable) one for a few bucks.
> >> -sw

> > --Bryan

> I would *never* pick plastic over a standard aluminum or stainless
> grater, which are a snap to clean. In fact, I can't say I've ever *seen*
> a plastic grater except on this stupid Kraft item we've been discussing???

This thing of my mother's was steel, but not stainless. What I was
saying is that for "a few bucks" you could get a plastic one.
Certainly, for several more bucks you could get something better.
I think you'd pick the plastic over my mother's.

--Bryan

Posted to rec.food.cooking

Mike wrote:
> The thread about the new Ziploc Steam Bags reminded me of a new item
> that we've been enjoying at our house. It's Kraft Grate-It-Fresh
> parmesan cheese. It's got a grater built on to the package and you
> just turn it to get freshly grated parm. When all the parm is gone,
> you just throw the whole thing away (or recycle it hopefully). I like
> fresh parm and I don't miss the hassle of cleaning the hand-held
> grater. This item costs about $4 IIRC for 7 oz..
>
> Has anyone tried this?
>
> Mike

Sounds like a great way to fill up the landfill for marketing driven
imagined convenience.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Wed, 19 Sep 2007 21:11:42 -0000, Lori010 > wrote:

> but if I ran my fingers across mine I
>would spend more time cleaning up the blood then cleaning the cheese
>off.

That is why God gave us dishwashers!! Honey...this is dirty.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

In article >,
Steve Wertz > wrote:

> On Wed, 19 Sep 2007 11:29:08 -0700, Mike wrote:
>
> > And only a moron assumes that everyone has the same kind of grater
> > that he does.

> I can't imagine how they could design a grater that was hard to
> clean.
>
> -sw

I use a kitchen scrub brush on mine.
Gets everything off of and out of the grater within just a few seconds.
I wash it right after I use it.

It's really no big deal.

I have flat graters, a tower grater and for hard cheeses, a rotary
grater.

I love that thing. ;-)
--
Peace, Om

Remove _ to validate e-mails.

"Human nature seems to be to control other people until they put their foot down." -- Steve Rothstein
Posted to rec.food.cooking

In article om>,
Bobo Bonobo(R) > wrote:

> On Sep 19, 3:22 pm, Steve Wertz > wrote:
> > On Wed, 19 Sep 2007 11:29:08 -0700, Mike wrote:
> > > And only a moron assumes that everyone has the same kind of grater
> > > that he does.

> > I can't imagine how they could design a grater that was hard to
> > clean.

> My mom had this stupid steel one when I was a kid. It WAS hard to
> clean. I can't imagine anyone making one like that these days. I
> can't imagine anyone keeping such a device, when you could buy a nice
> plastic (easily cleanable) one for a few bucks.
> >
> > -sw

> --Bryan

I cannot imagine using a PLASTIC grater! I can't see that plastic could
possibly be as sharp as metal.

Like I posted previously, I just use one of my kitchen scrub brushes to
clean them. No big deal.
--
Peace, Om

Remove _ to validate e-mails.

"Human nature seems to be to control other people until they put their foot down." -- Steve Rothstein

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Wed, 19 Sep 2007 21:37:41 GMT, "l, not -l" > wrote:

>On 19-Sep-2007, Goomba38 > wrote:
>
>> I can't stand
>> how in the US small items are sold in huge wasteful boxes. I'm sure it
>> is so they'll stand out on a market shelf or look like more than there
>> is for the price. It shames me to think how stupid some people are to
>> fall for this. <sigh>

>In most cases, the packaging is huge to reduce theft. Perhaps as more chips
>are imbedded in packaging, the wasteful quantity can be reduced.

that's my understanding as well.

your pal,
blake
Posted to rec.food.cooking

"blake murphy" > wrote in message
> On Wed, 19 Sep 2007 21:37:41 GMT, "l, not -l" > wrote:
>

>>On 19-Sep-2007, Goomba38 > wrote:
>>
>>> I can't stand
>>> how in the US small items are sold in huge wasteful boxes. I'm sure it
>>> is so they'll stand out on a market shelf or look like more than there
>>> is for the price. It shames me to think how stupid some people are to
>>> fall for this. <sigh>

>>In most cases, the packaging is huge to reduce theft. Perhaps as more
>>chips
>>are imbedded in packaging, the wasteful quantity can be reduced.

> that's my understanding as well.
>
> your pal,
> blake

I don't have arthritis, and there is not a darned thing that comes into this
house that I can open. Dang them!
I couldn't even get the olive oil bottle top off a while ago. This is a
constant thing. I just ove it when those plastic containers will cut your
fingers while you are trying to get it apart. :-(
Dee

Posted to rec.food.cooking

In article >,
"Dee Dee" > wrote:

> "blake murphy" > wrote in message

> >>In most cases, the packaging is huge to reduce theft. Perhaps as more
> >>chips
> >>are imbedded in packaging, the wasteful quantity can be reduced.

> > that's my understanding as well.
> >
> > your pal,
> > blake

> I don't have arthritis, and there is not a darned thing that comes into this
> house that I can open. Dang them!
> I couldn't even get the olive oil bottle top off a while ago. This is a
> constant thing. I just ove it when those plastic containers will cut your
> fingers while you are trying to get it apart. :-(
> Dee

Plyers hon'.

Adjustable ones.
--
Peace, Om

Remove _ to validate e-mails.

"Human nature seems to be to control other people until they put their foot down." -- Steve Rothstein
Posted to rec.food.cooking

Omelet wrote on Thu, 20 Sep 2007 13:44:45 -0500:

??>> "blake murphy" > wrote in message
??>> ...
??>>> On Wed, 19 Sep 2007 21:37:41 GMT, "l, not -l"

??>>> wrote:
??>>>
??>>>> On 19-Sep-2007, Goomba38 > wrote:
??>>>>
??>>>>> I can't stand
??>>>>> how in the US small items are sold in huge wasteful
??>>>>> boxes. I'm sure it is so they'll stand out on a market
??>>>>> shelf or look like more than there is for the price. It
??>>>>> shames me to think how stupid some people are to fall
??>>>>> for this. <sigh>
??>>>>
??>>>> In most cases, the packaging is huge to reduce theft.
??>>>> Perhaps as more chips are imbedded in packaging, the
??>>>> wasteful quantity can be reduced.
??>> ago. This is a constant thing. I just ove it when those
??>> plastic containers will cut your fingers while you are
??>> trying to get it apart. :-( Dee

O> Plyers hon'.

O> Adjustable ones.

Did you ever do any sewing? A large pair of pinking shears works
quite well since the serrations catch the plastic. You can also
buy gadgets to attack the plastic bubbles that actually work!

James Silverton
Potomac, Maryland

E-mail, with obvious alterations:
not.jim.silverton.at.verizon.not

Posted to rec.food.cooking

"James Silverton" > wrote

> Dee said:

> ??>> ago. This is a constant thing. I just ove it when those
> ??>> plastic containers will cut your fingers while you are
> ??>> trying to get it apart. :-( Dee

> Did you ever do any sewing? A large pair of pinking shears works quite
> well since the serrations catch the plastic. You can also buy gadgets to
> attack the plastic bubbles that actually work!

I use a small retractable utility razor ... thingy. That packaging
is unreal.

nancy

Posted to rec.food.cooking

"James Silverton" > wrote in message
> Did you ever do any sewing? A large pair of pinking shears works quite
> well since the serrations catch the plastic. You can also buy gadgets to
> attack the plastic bubbles that actually work!
>
> James Silverton
> Potomac, Maryland

You know, James. I've looked all over for these gadgets for opening
plastic -- Staples, Office Max, & Office Depot say they've never heard of
such a thing. I think one time I did have a picture in my PDA (hand-held)
and took it to all of them.
Thanks.
Dee Dee

Posted to rec.food.cooking

In article >,
"Nancy Young" > wrote:

> "James Silverton" > wrote
>
> > Dee said:

> > ??>> ago. This is a constant thing. I just ove it when those
> > ??>> plastic containers will cut your fingers while you are
> > ??>> trying to get it apart. :-( Dee

> > Did you ever do any sewing? A large pair of pinking shears works quite
> > well since the serrations catch the plastic. You can also buy gadgets to
> > attack the plastic bubbles that actually work!

> I use a small retractable utility razor ... thingy. That packaging
> is unreal.
>
> nancy

It sure can be!

I have poultry shears, and a 2" sharp bladed paring knife that usually
solve problems!

And a pair of vice grips.

;-)
--
Peace, Om

Remove _ to validate e-mails.

"Human nature seems to be to control other people until they put their foot down." -- Steve Rothstein
Posted to rec.food.cooking

Dee Dee wrote:

> I don't have arthritis, and there is not a darned thing that comes into this
> house that I can open. Dang them!
> I couldn't even get the olive oil bottle top off a while ago. This is a
> constant thing. I just ove it when those plastic containers will cut your
> fingers while you are trying to get it apart. :-(
> Dee

To open a container, like an olive oil bottle, I use a nutcracker, it
works great every time.

Have you noticed that child-proof packaging is almost impossible to
open? I bet a kid could open it faster than I could.

Becca
Posted to rec.food.cooking

Dee Dee wrote:

> I don't have arthritis, and there is not a darned thing that comes into
> this house that I can open. Dang them!
> I couldn't even get the olive oil bottle top off a while ago. This is
> a constant thing. I just ove it when those plastic containers will cut
> your fingers while you are trying to get it apart. :-(

A year or so ago, I hurt my hand and couldn't
open a jar of salsa with only my one remaining
hand. I tried holding the jar between my knees,
and then between my feet, and I just couldn't
get a grip on it well enough to open it.

Then I got a great idea. With a knife,
I stabbed the lid to make a hole and release
the vacuum. After that, the lid came right off.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

"Dee Dee" > wrote in message

> "James Silverton" > wrote in
> message news:_jzIi.3453$yO2.544@trndny01...
>> Did you ever do any sewing? A large pair of pinking shears
>> works quite well since the serrations catch the plastic. You
>> can also buy gadgets to attack the plastic bubbles that
>> actually work!
>>
>> James Silverton
>> Potomac, Maryland

> You know, James. I've looked all over for these gadgets for
> opening plastic -- Staples, Office Max, & Office Depot say
> they've never heard of such a thing. I think one time I did
> have a picture in my PDA (hand-held) and took it to all of
> them.
> Thanks.
> Dee Dee

I bought my last one in The Container Store. It's a very small
ceramic blade and claimed to be harmless. There are some others
and I think Consumer Reports discussed them in the last year but
I can't look them up just now.

--
Jim Silverton
Potomac, Maryland

Posted to rec.food.cooking

"Mark Thorson" > wrote

> A year or so ago, I hurt my hand and couldn't
> open a jar of salsa with only my one remaining
> hand. I tried holding the jar between my knees,
> and then between my feet, and I just couldn't
> get a grip on it well enough to open it.
>
> Then I got a great idea. With a knife,
> I stabbed the lid to make a hole and release
> the vacuum. After that, the lid came right off.

Take a can opener, the church key variety, and stick the pointy
end facing up under the edge of the lid. Push on the other end
against the bottle until you hear the ssssssssssst.

nancy the weak-handed

Posted to rec.food.cooking

"Nancy Young" > wrote in news:_4adnYhjavruc2
:

> Take a can opener, the church key variety, and stick the pointy
> end facing up under the edge of the lid. Push on the other end
> against the bottle until you hear the ssssssssssst.
>
> nancy the weak-handed

lee valley sells a jar opener that works well at draining off the vacuum.

http://tinyurl.com/2ybvmr

--

The house of the burning beet-Alan

Elbonian Folklore

Posted to rec.food.cooking

"hahabogus" > wrote

> "Nancy Young" > wrote

>> Take a can opener, the church key variety, and stick the pointy
>> end facing up under the edge of the lid. Push on the other end
>> against the bottle until you hear the ssssssssssst.
>>
>> nancy the weak-handed

> lee valley sells a jar opener that works well at draining off the vacuum.
>
> http://tinyurl.com/2ybvmr

Oh, there you go, same principle.

nancy

Posted to rec.food.cooking

Nancy Young wrote:
> "James Silverton" > wrote
>
>> Dee said:

>> ??>> ago. This is a constant thing. I just ove it when those
>> ??>> plastic containers will cut your fingers while you are
>> ??>> trying to get it apart. :-( Dee

>> Did you ever do any sewing? A large pair of pinking shears works quite
>> well since the serrations catch the plastic. You can also buy gadgets to
>> attack the plastic bubbles that actually work!

> I use a small retractable utility razor ... thingy. That packaging
> is unreal.
>
> nancy

I have an odd assortment of surgical needle drivers that work when I
remember to grab 'em out of the pen cup.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

Becca wrote:

> To open a container, like an olive oil bottle, I use a nutcracker, it
> works great every time.
>
> Have you noticed that child-proof packaging is almost impossible to
> open? I bet a kid could open it faster than I could.
>
> Becca

Oy.. the little foil/paper liners in spice jars drive me to distraction
and you fight to lift it off. At least the new oil bottle child
proof/tamper proof pull thingie has a nice large finger ring on it.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

"Goomba38" > wrote

> Nancy Young wrote:

>> I use a small retractable utility razor ... thingy. That packaging
>> is unreal.

> I have an odd assortment of surgical needle drivers that work when I
> remember to grab 'em out of the pen cup.

(whimper) I'm suddenly very frightened of you ... only you
medical types would have SURGICAL NEEDLE DRIVERS
hanging around.

nancy

Posted to rec.food.cooking

"Goomba38" > wrote in message
. ..
> Becca wrote:
>
>> To open a container, like an olive oil bottle, I use a nutcracker, it
>> works great every time.
>>
>> Have you noticed that child-proof packaging is almost impossible to open?
>> I bet a kid could open it faster than I could.
>>
>> Becca

> Oy.. the little foil/paper liners in spice jars drive me to distraction
> and you fight to lift it off. At least the new oil bottle child
> proof/tamper proof pull thingie has a nice large finger ring on it.

I use the little hook thingie on my can opener for those. First I can't get
the shaker top off. I spear one of the holes with the hook, rip it off and
most of the time throw it away because most spices are used in spoonfuls and
not shakes. Then I enlarge the hole using the hook until I can get my
finger in there to pry it off.

And those finger rings don't always work. Sometimes I have to pull so hard
on the bottle that I get some oil splashed on ME!

Posted to rec.food.cooking

Nancy Young wrote:

> (whimper) I'm suddenly very frightened of you ... only you
> medical types would have SURGICAL NEEDLE DRIVERS
> hanging around.
>
> nancy

Oh you would lust for a pair. Honest.. they're handy. Send me your snail
mail addy and I'll hook you up with a pair.
Surgical towels (nice deep blue ones) make great kitchen towels too.
Untouched from a procedural kit but often unneeded they're tossed out as
disposable items. Shall I include one of those too?
Posted to rec.food.cooking

In article >,
"Nancy Young" > wrote:

> "Mark Thorson" > wrote
>
> > A year or so ago, I hurt my hand and couldn't
> > open a jar of salsa with only my one remaining
> > hand. I tried holding the jar between my knees,
> > and then between my feet, and I just couldn't
> > get a grip on it well enough to open it.
> >
> > Then I got a great idea. With a knife,
> > I stabbed the lid to make a hole and release
> > the vacuum. After that, the lid came right off.

> Take a can opener, the church key variety, and stick the pointy
> end facing up under the edge of the lid. Push on the other end
> against the bottle until you hear the ssssssssssst.
>
> nancy the weak-handed

I've done that. :-)

But I usually use the flat end.

I agree, it works and does not destroy your lid if you need to re-use it.