Posted to rec.food.cooking

Default Fun Vintage Item

"jmcquown" > wrote in message
> Does this thing remind anyone else of Robbie the Robot? It's a vintage
> nut chopper. It belonged to my grandmother. An interesting little bit of
> family cooking history.
>
> http://i66.tinypic.com/20gickj.jpg
>
> I have posted grandma's recipe for date nut coconut candy before. That's
> the gadget she used to chop the walnuts. Circa 1950 or so. The glass
> base is stamped Federal Tool Corp. Chicago. The top is actually a plastic
> measuring cup that pops off. It has a built-in shaker on the top for
> sprinkling the chopped or ground nuts on something. The blades seem to be
> still good and sharp.
>
> According to eBay and other sites it's worth about $4. To me, it's
> priceless.
>
> Do you have any fun vintage stuff around the house?
>
> Jill

My mom and grandma both had nut choppers but not like that. They had the
same kind and they were not effective at all. Why? Because the nuts got
chopped randomly. You were left with dust and big chunks with only a few
pieces that were likely the size you were going for. You could keep going
and get nut dust if that was what you were after.

I don't think that I have anything vintage except for a green glass bowl
that I bought as a joke. My mom had one and she always put grapes in it. I
found it on Ebay for cheap. And when my parents came to visit, I served
them grapes in it but the joke was totally lost on them. I think I might
also still have the blue cornflower casserole dish that likely everyone has.

I mostly just don't like old stuff and I got rid of things that I didn't
use. I did have a lot of old glass decorative stuff but no more.