Posted to rec.food.cooking

Default Arrowroot as a thickener

I've never used this thickening agent before. I have a chicken and
broccoli stir fry tonight for dinner and it smells great. I haven't
tasted yet, letting it cool a bit.

Tomorrow will be smothered center cut boneless porkchops in the crock pot.

http://i66.tinypic.com/2dvs7k2.jpg

--
ღ.¸¸.œ«*¨`*œ¶
Cheryl
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On 2015-12-05 20:18, Cheryl wrote:
> I've never used this thickening agent before. I have a chicken and
> broccoli stir fry tonight for dinner and it smells great. I haven't
> tasted yet, letting it cool a bit.
>
> Tomorrow will be smothered center cut boneless porkchops in the crock pot.

Graham Kerr used to used arrowroot as a thickener in his old Galloping
Gourmet shows.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Saturday, December 5, 2015 at 7:18:44 PM UTC-6, Cheryl wrote:

> I've never used this thickening agent before. I have a chicken and
> broccoli stir fry tonight for dinner and it smells great. I haven't
> tasted yet, letting it cool a bit.
>
> Tomorrow will be smothered center cut boneless porkchops in the crock pot..
>
> http://i66.tinypic.com/2dvs7k2.jpg
>
> --
> ღ.¸¸.œ«*¨`*œ¶
> Cheryl

I've never used it either. My stand-by thickeners have
always been flour or corn starch and on the rare occasion
potato flakes. Let us know how it tastes, please.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

Cherl wrote:

>I've never used this thickening agent before. I have a chicken and
>broccoli stir fry tonight for dinner and it smells great. I haven't
>tasted yet, letting it cool a bit.

Arrowroot used as a thickener doesn't break down like cornstarch...
even better is lotus root... the Chinese didn't have cornstarch until
relatively recently:
http://www.seriouseats.com/recipes/2...up-recipe.html

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Sat, 5 Dec 2015 20:18:35 -0500, Cheryl > wrote:

>I've never used this thickening agent before. I have a chicken and
>broccoli stir fry tonight for dinner and it smells great. I haven't
>tasted yet, letting it cool a bit.

Many, many years ago I put up a page on arrowroot. There looks like some
useful information on it: http://gfrecipes.com/arrowroot.htm

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On 12/5/2015 9:54 PM, Don Wiss wrote:
> On Sat, 5 Dec 2015 20:18:35 -0500, Cheryl > wrote:
>
>> I've never used this thickening agent before. I have a chicken and
>> broccoli stir fry tonight for dinner and it smells great. I haven't
>> tasted yet, letting it cool a bit.

> Many, many years ago I put up a page on arrowroot. There looks like some
> useful information on it: http://gfrecipes.com/arrowroot.htm
>
> Don. www.donwiss.com (e-mail link at home page bottom).

I haven't used this for years, but I recall that it tasted ok and
thickened well: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Kuzuko
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Sat, 5 Dec 2015 21:51:00 -0500 (EST), Cheryl
> wrote:

>Brooklyn1 > Wrote in message:
>> Cherl wrote:
>>>
>>>I've never used this thickening agent before. I have a chicken and
>>>broccoli stir fry tonight for dinner and it smells great. I haven't
>>>tasted yet, letting it cool a bit.

>> Arrowroot used as a thickener doesn't break down like cornstarch...
>> even better is lotus root... the Chinese didn't have cornstarch until
>> relatively recently:
>> http://www.seriouseats.com/recipes/2...up-recipe.html
>>

>Thanks Sheldon. Good read.

I learned about lotus root many years ago from the Frug.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

"Cheryl" > wrote in message
b.com...
> I've never used this thickening agent before. I have a chicken and
> broccoli stir fry tonight for dinner and it smells great. I haven't tasted
> yet, letting it cool a bit.
>
> Tomorrow will be smothered center cut boneless porkchops in the crock pot.
>
> http://i66.tinypic.com/2dvs7k2.jpg
>
> --
> ღ.¸¸.œ«*¨`*œ¶
> Cheryl

I've used it. Works fine.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

"Don Wiss" > wrote in message
> On Sat, 5 Dec 2015 20:18:35 -0500, Cheryl > wrote:
>
>>I've never used this thickening agent before. I have a chicken and
>>broccoli stir fry tonight for dinner and it smells great. I haven't
>>tasted yet, letting it cool a bit.

> Many, many years ago I put up a page on arrowroot. There looks like some
> useful information on it: http://gfrecipes.com/arrowroot.htm
>
> Don. www.donwiss.com (e-mail link at home page bottom).

Thanks for that. My Grandmother used to use arrowroot but I never really
knew how I will try it out myself now

--
http://www.helpforheroes.org.uk/shop/
Posted to rec.food.cooking

wrote:

>I've never used this thickening agent before. I have a chicken and
>broccoli stir fry tonight for dinner and it smells great. I haven't
>tasted yet, letting it cool a bit.
>
>Tomorrow will be smothered center cut boneless porkchops in the crock pot.
>
>http://i66.tinypic.com/2dvs7k2.jpg

I prefer using that, when I can get it.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

In article >,
says...

> On Saturday, December 5, 2015 at 7:18:44 PM UTC-6, Cheryl wrote:
> >
> > I've never used this thickening agent before. I have a chicken and
> > broccoli stir fry tonight for dinner and it smells great. I haven't
> > tasted yet, letting it cool a bit.
> >
> > Tomorrow will be smothered center cut boneless porkchops in the crock pot.

http://i66.tinypic.com/2dvs7k2.jpg

> > --
> > ?.¸¸.?*¨`*?
> > Cheryl
> >

> I've never used it either. My stand-by thickeners have
> always been flour or corn starch and on the rare occasion
> potato flakes. Let us know how it tastes, please.

Arrowroot is used instead of flour or corn starch, where you want the
thickened sauce or gel to be completely clear and transparent. For
instance if you're thickening a glaze.

Janet UK

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On 12/5/2015 8:18 PM, Cheryl wrote:
> I've never used this thickening agent before. I have a chicken and
> broccoli stir fry tonight for dinner and it smells great. I haven't
> tasted yet, letting it cool a bit.
>
> Tomorrow will be smothered center cut boneless porkchops in the crock pot.
>
> http://i66.tinypic.com/2dvs7k2.jpg

Looks good, Cheryl! I've used arrowroot as a thickener but generally
just use a cornstarch slurry.

Jill
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On 2015-12-06, Cheryl > wrote:

> It didn't seem to thicken it much more than the flour the chicken
> was coated in for browning but I didn't want to use too much the
> first time trying it.

It doesn't do a lot more thickening than corn or potato starch,
tapioca or regular flour. As I recall, arrowroot is not a popular
thickener cuz it's so damned expensive. I haven't bought any in
decades.

I'll check my local health food store, where I now buy my
herbs/spices. I jes bought at least one ounce of a dozen fresh
herbs/spices fer less than $10. The only spice they do not carry is
real Szechuan peppers for 5 spice pwdr.

nb
Posted to rec.food.cooking

jmcquown wrote:

> Looks good, Cheryl! I've used arrowroot as a thickener but generally
> just use a cornstarch slurry.

Cornstarch is almost the same as arrowroot except for the price. Both
have almost no flavor..just used to thicken.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

Cheryl wrote:

>I've never used this thickening agent before. I have a chicken and
>broccoli stir fry tonight for dinner and it smells great. I haven't
>tasted yet, letting it cool a bit.
>
>Tomorrow will be smothered center cut boneless porkchops in the crock pot.
>
>http://i66.tinypic.com/2dvs7k2.jpg

I make stir fried chicken and broccoli often, what do you use to
season yours? I add sliced garlic, grated ginger root, white pepper,
toasted sesame seed oil, soy sauce, red and/or green bell pepper,
mushrooms, sometimes canned pineapple chunks, garnish with green
onions and cashews. Right now I have a large head of bok choy, would
go well with your pork. although I think that boneless center cut loin
is too dry for a slow cooker, shoulder chops would work better...
boneless centercut loin is better quick fried... I'd slice them into
thin cutlets.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Sun, 6 Dec 2015 12:44:35 -0000, Janet > wrote:

>In article >,
says...

>> On Saturday, December 5, 2015 at 7:18:44 PM UTC-6, Cheryl wrote:
>> >
>> > I've never used this thickening agent before. I have a chicken and
>> > broccoli stir fry tonight for dinner and it smells great. I haven't
>> > tasted yet, letting it cool a bit.
>> >
>> > Tomorrow will be smothered center cut boneless porkchops in the crock pot.
>> >
>> > http://i66.tinypic.com/2dvs7k2.jpg
>> >
>> > --
>> > ?.¸¸.?*¨`*?
>> > Cheryl
>> >

>> I've never used it either. My stand-by thickeners have
>> always been flour or corn starch and on the rare occasion
>> potato flakes. Let us know how it tastes, please.

> Arrowroot is used instead of flour or corn starch, where you want the
>thickened sauce or gel to be completely clear and transparent. For
>instance if you're thickening a glaze.
>
> Janet UK

Corn starch and arrowroot thicken equally clear only arrowroot lasts
twice as long before it breaks down.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On 12/6/2015 11:18 AM, Gary wrote:
> jmcquown wrote:
>>
>> Looks good, Cheryl! I've used arrowroot as a thickener but generally
>> just use a cornstarch slurry.

> Cornstarch is almost the same as arrowroot except for the price. Both
> have almost no flavor..just used to thicken.

I agree. Neither one tastes like anything. Plain flour as a thickener
can be tricky. The price of arrowroot (granted, I used it a long time
ago) was a lot higher. I get the same results using Argo brand
cornstarch mixed with a tiny bit of water to create the slurry.

Jill
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On 12/6/2015 11:30 AM, Brooklyn1 wrote:
> On Sun, 6 Dec 2015 12:44:35 -0000, Janet > wrote:
>>
>> Arrowroot is used instead of flour or corn starch, where you want the
>> thickened sauce or gel to be completely clear and transparent. For
>> instance if you're thickening a glaze.
>>
>> Janet UK

> Corn starch and arrowroot thicken equally clear only arrowroot lasts
> twice as long before it breaks down.

Both you and Janet provided good information, thank you.

--
ღ.¸¸.œ«*¨`*œ¶
Cheryl
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On 12/6/2015 11:00 AM, jmcquown wrote:

> Looks good, Cheryl! I've used arrowroot as a thickener but generally
> just use a cornstarch slurry.
>
> Jill

Thanks Jill. Made a good lunch today too. I'll use more next time, and I
generally use cornstarch but figured I'd give this a try. It mixed in
cold water to make a slurry exactly the same as cornstarch.

--
ღ.¸¸.œ«*¨`*œ¶
Cheryl

Posted to rec.food.cooking
Banned

On Sunday, December 6, 2015 at 10:09:09 AM UTC-8, Cheryl wrote:
> On 12/6/2015 11:00 AM, jmcquown wrote:
>

> > Looks good, Cheryl! I've used arrowroot as a thickener but generally
> > just use a cornstarch slurry.
> >
> > Jill

> Thanks Jill. Made a good lunch today too. I'll use more next time, and I
> generally use cornstarch but figured I'd give this a try. It mixed in
> cold water to make a slurry exactly the same as cornstarch.
>
> --
> ღ.¸¸.œ«*¨`*œ¶
> Cheryl

Arrowroot powder used as a thickener is much lower in carbohydrates than cornstarch. Low carbers tend to use it .

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On 12/5/2015 9:54 PM, Don Wiss wrote:
> On Sat, 5 Dec 2015 20:18:35 -0500, Cheryl > wrote:
>
>> I've never used this thickening agent before. I have a chicken and
>> broccoli stir fry tonight for dinner and it smells great. I haven't
>> tasted yet, letting it cool a bit.

> Many, many years ago I put up a page on arrowroot. There looks like some
> useful information on it: http://gfrecipes.com/arrowroot.htm
>
> Don. www.donwiss.com (e-mail link at home page bottom).

I just read the page you put together and I'm glad I did! I'm glad for
the warnings not to use it with dairy, and luckily there was no dairy in
my stir fry, that would be just yucky anyway. Thanks for putting that
together.

"Arrowroot, however, has a drawback in that when it cools,
especially in contact with dairy foods, it develops an unusually
slippery feel. So for foods containing dairy products or crispy cooked
vegetables, he prefers cornstarch."

--
ღ.¸¸.œ«*¨`*œ¶
Cheryl
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On 2015-12-06, Cheryl > wrote:

> I just read the page you put together and I'm glad I did! I'm glad for
> the warnings not to use it with dairy, and luckily there was no dairy in
> my stir fry, that would be just yucky anyway. Thanks for putting that
> together.

> "Arrowroot, however, has a drawback in that when it cools,
> especially in contact with dairy foods, it develops an unusually
> slippery feel. So for foods containing dairy products or crispy cooked
> vegetables, he prefers cornstarch."

I'll jump in here, also. I jes called the local health food store and
they said they had arrowroot fer $.52 oz, so that kills my "expensive"
excuse. Still, I use thickeners mostly in pies. I'll stick with tapioca
flour fer fruit pies and regular flour fer cream pies (w/ dairy).

nb
Posted to rec.food.cooking

wrote:

> I've never used this thickening agent before. I have a chicken and
> broccoli stir fry tonight for dinner and it smells great. I haven't
> tasted yet, letting it cool a bit.
>
> Tomorrow will be smothered center cut boneless porkchops in the crock pot.
>
> http://i66.tinypic.com/2dvs7k2.jpg

I'd use cornstarch for stir fry. It's traditional. I used arrowroot
to make turkey gravy at Thanksgiving, and it disappointed me because
it didn't stay thick over the long run. I've used it successfully in
the past for gravy that I make and serve immediately, but I wasn't
trying to hold it for later.

--

sf
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On 12/6/2015 1:16 PM, ImStillMags wrote:
> On Sunday, December 6, 2015 at 10:09:09 AM UTC-8, Cheryl wrote:
>> On 12/6/2015 11:00 AM, jmcquown wrote:
>>

>>> Looks good, Cheryl! I've used arrowroot as a thickener but generally
>>> just use a cornstarch slurry.
>>>
>>> Jill

>> Thanks Jill. Made a good lunch today too. I'll use more next time, and I
>> generally use cornstarch but figured I'd give this a try. It mixed in
>> cold water to make a slurry exactly the same as cornstarch.
>>
>> --
>> ღ.¸¸.œ«*¨`*œ¶
>> Cheryl

> Arrowroot powder used as a thickener is much lower in carbohydrates than cornstarch. Low carbers tend to use it .

Makes sense, I guess. The only time I ever used arrowroot powder
(mid-1980's) the term "low carbing" wouldn't have meant much.

Jill

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Monday, December 7, 2015 at 4:16:11 AM UTC+10, ImStillMags wrote:

> Arrowroot powder used as a thickener is much lower in carbohydrates than cornstarch. Low carbers tend to use it .

"Much"? If you take arrowroot root, dry it, and grind it, it'll be lower carbohydrate. But the usual thickener is the starch extracted from the roots, and looking at nutritional info labels, it's usually 80%-90% carbohydrate compared with 90% for cornstarch and 85%-90% for tapioca/cassava starch.

Low carbohydrate starch would be surprising.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Sun, 6 Dec 2015 13:38:27 -0800 (PST), Timo >
wrote:

>On Monday, December 7, 2015 at 4:16:11 AM UTC+10, ImStillMags wrote:
>>
>> Arrowroot powder used as a thickener is much lower in carbohydrates than cornstarch. Low carbers tend to use it .

>"Much"? If you take arrowroot root, dry it, and grind it, it'll be lower carbohydrate. But the usual thickener is the starch extracted from the roots, and looking at nutritional info labels, it's usually 80%-90% carbohydrate compared with 90% for cornstarch and 85%-90% for tapioca/cassava starch.
>
>Low carbohydrate starch would be surprising.

I think one should keep a sense of proportion - use either as a
thickener and really how much does any one person consume??
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Sun, 06 Dec 2015 15:56:14 -0500, jmcquown > wrote:

>Makes sense, I guess. The only time I ever used arrowroot powder
>(mid-1980's) the term "low carbing" wouldn't have meant much.

Atkins got started around 1972. But the establishment (pushing their
low-fat fraud) made sure that no one paid attention to him. It wasn't until
the mid-1990s when the Internet got going that low-carb became known. In
the newsgroups all are equal. And the establishment is not present. I was
watching the diet newsgroups then. The low-carb people would report their
weekly progress. Then the low-fat people would report theirs. Often they
lost no weight, or it went up. It didn't take long for people to subscribe
to the low-carb e-mail lists and it took off.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On 12/6/2015 9:51 PM, Don Wiss wrote:
> On Sun, 06 Dec 2015 15:56:14 -0500, jmcquown > wrote:
>
>> Makes sense, I guess. The only time I ever used arrowroot powder
>> (mid-1980's) the term "low carbing" wouldn't have meant much.

> Atkins got started around 1972. But the establishment (pushing their
> low-fat fraud) made sure that no one paid attention to him. It wasn't until
> the mid-1990s when the Internet got going that low-carb became known. In
> the newsgroups all are equal. And the establishment is not present. I was
> watching the diet newsgroups then. The low-carb people would report their
> weekly progress. Then the low-fat people would report theirs. Often they
> lost no weight, or it went up. It didn't take long for people to subscribe
> to the low-carb e-mail lists and it took off.

I believe ya, Don. Truth be told I never even *heard* of Atkins (or
that other diet South Beach) until at least the year 2000. <shrug>

Jill
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On 2015-12-07 5:17 PM, jmcquown wrote:

> I believe ya, Don. Truth be told I never even *heard* of Atkins (or
> that other diet South Beach) until at least the year 2000. <shrug>

My wife subscribes to the Atkins low carb diet and I consider myself a
lucky guy for it.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On 12/6/2015 11:23 AM, Brooklyn1 wrote:

> I make stir fried chicken and broccoli often, what do you use to
> season yours? I add sliced garlic, grated ginger root, white pepper,
> toasted sesame seed oil, soy sauce, red and/or green bell pepper,
> mushrooms, sometimes canned pineapple chunks, garnish with green
> onions and cashews. Right now I have a large head of bok choy, would
> go well with your pork. although I think that boneless center cut loin
> is too dry for a slow cooker, shoulder chops would work better...
> boneless centercut loin is better quick fried... I'd slice them into
> thin cutlets.

I'm a little more picky about cooked veggies so I use onions, broccoli
but no peppers or mushrooms. I use chopped garlic, usually dried ginger
powder but this time I used Chinese 5 spice (was good!), toasted sesame
oil, soy sauce, finely ground black pepper, a little bit of dried red
pepper flakes, I think that's it.

The chops were fantastic in the slow cooker. I used cream of mushroom
soup (from a can!), some chicken stock (boxed!), 2 good sized sweet
yellow onions on the bottom of the slow cooker, and I browned the chops
before they went in. I didn't brown the onions like I normally would but
they were excellent because they practically disintegrated in the
liquids and left it tasting more like onion soup. The chops weren't
falling apart but were still very tender and not at all dried out. I
just had one of the leftovers for dinner, still good. I'll freeze the
last one for a later meal.

--
ღ.¸¸.œ«*¨`*œ¶
Cheryl
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On 12/7/2015 6:44 PM, Cheryl wrote:
(gentle snippage)

> The chops were fantastic in the slow cooker. I used cream of mushroom
> soup (from a can!), some chicken stock (boxed!), 2 good sized sweet
> yellow onions on the bottom of the slow cooker, and I browned the chops
> before they went in. I didn't brown the onions like I normally would but
> they were excellent because they practically disintegrated in the
> liquids and left it tasting more like onion soup. The chops weren't
> falling apart but were still very tender and not at all dried out. I
> just had one of the leftovers for dinner, still good. I'll freeze the
> last one for a later meal.

Cheryl, you just killed two birds with one stone! You used cream of
mushroom soup (Gary Approved) and boxed chicken stock (not Gary
Approved). Wowsa. It's a tie.

I've cooked pork chops in the slow cooker before. Like you, I first
seasoned and browned them. I browned them in a skillet. Then they went
into the crock pot. I added sauteed onion, garlic. I'm adjusting herbs
and spices as I go along.

Jill

Posted to rec.food.cooking

jmcquown wrote:

> On 12/7/2015 6:44 PM, Cheryl wrote:
> (gentle snippage)
> >
> > The chops were fantastic in the slow cooker. I used cream of mushroom
> > soup (from a can!), some chicken stock (boxed!), 2 good sized sweet
> > yellow onions on the bottom of the slow cooker, and I browned the chops
> > before they went in. I didn't brown the onions like I normally would but
> > they were excellent because they practically disintegrated in the
> > liquids and left it tasting more like onion soup. The chops weren't
> > falling apart but were still very tender and not at all dried out. I
> > just had one of the leftovers for dinner, still good. I'll freeze the
> > last one for a later meal.
> >

> Cheryl, you just killed two birds with one stone! You used cream of
> mushroom soup (Gary Approved) and boxed chicken stock (not Gary
> Approved). Wowsa. It's a tie.

Yeah...she was smart. The canned soup canceled out the boxed stock.
But I won't pick on Cheryl anyway, she lives where I grew up.

I tease about commercial chicken broth/stock often. It's better
than nothing I guess but it really is weak dishwater. If you want
to spend your money that way, go for it.

I always make my broth/stock in advance so the good stuff is
always on standby.

Here's a pic for you, Jill.
It shows just much I really hate the commercial stuff.
I just took it 30 minutes ago 12/8/15
http://i63.tinypic.com/9hrkhd.jpg

> I've cooked pork chops in the slow cooker before. Like you, I first
> seasoned and browned them. I browned them in a skillet. Then they went
> into the crock pot. I added sauteed onion, garlic. I'm adjusting herbs
> and spices as I go along.

When I was young, something similar was one of my favorite meals. Mom
would buy thin cheap pork chops and fry them to death. Luckily, she
would then add in a can of cream of mushroom soup with some water,
cover and cook more. I loved that meal.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Tuesday, December 8, 2015 at 9:07:06 AM UTC-5, Gary wrote:
> jmcquown wrote:
> >
> > On 12/7/2015 6:44 PM, Cheryl wrote:
> > (gentle snippage)
> > >
> > > The chops were fantastic in the slow cooker. I used cream of mushroom
> > > soup (from a can!), some chicken stock (boxed!), 2 good sized sweet
> > > yellow onions on the bottom of the slow cooker, and I browned the chops
> > > before they went in. I didn't brown the onions like I normally would but
> > > they were excellent because they practically disintegrated in the
> > > liquids and left it tasting more like onion soup. The chops weren't
> > > falling apart but were still very tender and not at all dried out. I
> > > just had one of the leftovers for dinner, still good. I'll freeze the
> > > last one for a later meal.
> > >

> > Cheryl, you just killed two birds with one stone! You used cream of
> > mushroom soup (Gary Approved) and boxed chicken stock (not Gary
> > Approved). Wowsa. It's a tie.

> Yeah...she was smart. The canned soup canceled out the boxed stock.
> But I won't pick on Cheryl anyway, she lives where I grew up.
>
> I tease about commercial chicken broth/stock often. It's better
> than nothing I guess but it really is weak dishwater. If you want
> to spend your money that way, go for it.

Not every use of chicken broth requires a strong stock.
When I make a quick soup from frozen Chinese dumplings
and boxed broth, I wouldn't want a very robust broth.

Cindy Hamilton
Posted to rec.food.cooking

Cindy Hamilton wrote:

> Not every use of chicken broth requires a strong stock.
> When I make a quick soup from frozen Chinese dumplings
> and boxed broth, I wouldn't want a very robust broth.

Don't know if you've ever made chicken broth...sounds like
you haven't. Unlike turkey broth/stock, chicken broth/stock
will always be lacking for strong flavor no matter how much
you reduce it.

There's no such thing as a very robust chicken broth
unless you add some boullion to it.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Tuesday, December 8, 2015 at 9:58:07 AM UTC-5, Gary wrote:
> Cindy Hamilton wrote:
> >
> > Not every use of chicken broth requires a strong stock.
> > When I make a quick soup from frozen Chinese dumplings
> > and boxed broth, I wouldn't want a very robust broth.

> Don't know if you've ever made chicken broth...sounds like
> you haven't.

On an uncountable number of occasions.

> Unlike turkey broth/stock, chicken broth/stock
> will always be lacking for strong flavor no matter how much
> you reduce it.

Then I guess boxed broth is good enough.

> There's no such thing as a very robust chicken broth
> unless you add some boullion to it.

I beg to differ. I've produced some extremely flavorful
and collagen-rich chicken broths.

Cindy Hamilton
Posted to rec.food.cooking

"Cindy Hamilton" > wrote in message
> On Tuesday, December 8, 2015 at 9:58:07 AM UTC-5, Gary wrote:
>> Cindy Hamilton wrote:
>> >
>> > Not every use of chicken broth requires a strong stock.
>> > When I make a quick soup from frozen Chinese dumplings
>> > and boxed broth, I wouldn't want a very robust broth.

>> Don't know if you've ever made chicken broth...sounds like
>> you haven't.

> On an uncountable number of occasions.
>
>> Unlike turkey broth/stock, chicken broth/stock
>> will always be lacking for strong flavor no matter how much
>> you reduce it.

> Then I guess boxed broth is good enough.
>
>> There's no such thing as a very robust chicken broth
>> unless you add some boullion to it.

> I beg to differ. I've produced some extremely flavorful
> and collagen-rich chicken broths.

Yes! I do too!

--
http://www.helpforheroes.org.uk/shop/

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On 12/8/2015 12:53 PM, Ophelia wrote:
> "Cindy Hamilton" > wrote in message
>> On Tuesday, December 8, 2015 at 9:58:07 AM UTC-5, Gary wrote:
>>> There's no such thing as a very robust chicken broth
>>> unless you add some boullion to it.

>> I beg to differ. I've produced some extremely flavorful
>> and collagen-rich chicken broths.

> Yes! I do too!

Much depends on the quality of the chicken you start with.

Using Arrowroot as Thickener W General Cooking 16 27-02-2016 08:13 PM
Need help muy pronto: Using arrowroot instead of flour or cornstarch thickener in a rhubarb pie Melba's Jammin' General Cooking 6 10-06-2009 01:33 AM
Arrowroot SteveB[_2_] General Cooking 29 09-11-2008 06:07 PM
Arrowroot is not a substitute for Baking Soda Melba's Jammin' General Cooking 1 16-12-2005 03:15 AM
Hey, Sheldon! Arrowroot Melba's Jammin' General Cooking 34 10-12-2003 01:29 AM