Posted to rec.food.cooking

Default "20 British Foods Americans Have Probably Never Heard Of But

On Saturday, November 14, 2015 at 1:30:28 AM UTC-8, Ophelia wrote:
> > wrote in message

> > Haven't spotted any dick yet -- is it good?

> Oh yes, with lots of custard
>
> > (but what about sherry trifle -- that is what I could get behind.)

> Easy to make:
>
> http://britishfood.about.com/od/dess...onaltrifle.htm

I will try this, thanks!

> > Haven't had bubble and squeak, or haggis (lungs not considered fit
> > for human consumption in the US). Salad cream is really an adaptation
> > of US salad dressings. But Branston Pickle is indeed good on a cheese
> > sandwich.

> Try bubble and squeak. It isn't that different to home fries with mashed
> potato.

If we have kielbasa with boiled cabbage and potatoes, we will often end
up with leftover cabbage and potatoes. So I will give it a try, next time.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Saturday, November 14, 2015 at 1:30:27 AM UTC-8, Ophelia wrote:
> "Bruce" > wrote in message

> >>whoosh

> > Back at ya.

> Ignore her. She is not nearly so bright as she thinks she is and twist
> things. Ugh.

I can't figure sf out. Some of her posts are reasonable while others
are the opposite. There is a woman in another forum I participate in
who suddenly will be spoiling for a fight. At that point I disengage.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

Default "20 British Foods Americans Have Probably Never Heard Of But Really Should Try" Probably not true but fun anyway:)

> wrote in message
> On Saturday, November 14, 2015 at 1:30:27 AM UTC-8, Ophelia wrote:

>> > Back at ya.

>> Ignore her. She is not nearly so bright as she thinks she is and twist
>> things. Ugh.
>>

> I can't figure sf out. Some of her posts are reasonable while others
> are the opposite. There is a woman in another forum I participate in
> who suddenly will be spoiling for a fight. At that point I disengage.

Probably for the best. I've decided it just isn't worth it.

--
http://www.helpforheroes.org.uk/shop/
Posted to rec.food.cooking

> wrote in message
> On Saturday, November 14, 2015 at 1:30:28 AM UTC-8, Ophelia wrote:
>> > wrote in message

>> > Haven't spotted any dick yet -- is it good?

>> Oh yes, with lots of custard
>>
>> > (but what about sherry trifle -- that is what I could get behind.)

>> Easy to make:
>>
>> http://britishfood.about.com/od/dess...onaltrifle.htm

> I will try this, thanks!
>
>> > Haven't had bubble and squeak, or haggis (lungs not considered fit
>> > for human consumption in the US). Salad cream is really an adaptation
>> > of US salad dressings. But Branston Pickle is indeed good on a cheese
>> > sandwich.

>> Try bubble and squeak. It isn't that different to home fries with mashed
>> potato.
>>

> If we have kielbasa with boiled cabbage and potatoes, we will often end
> up with leftover cabbage and potatoes. So I will give it a try, next time.

Do report back?

--
http://www.helpforheroes.org.uk/shop/

Posted to rec.food.cooking

"Ophelia" > wrote in message

> Get real. Your panties are in twist over something I wrote to Bruce.
> and I am not apologizing to you for having an opinion.

Just to clarify, I have copied (except for the name) *exactly* what she said
to me on 13th in a different thread.

I can't understand why she didn't welcome it.

--
http://www.helpforheroes.org.uk/shop/

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On 2015-11-14 12:46 PM, Cindy Hamilton wrote:

> I can recall eating some godawful French fries in the early 60s, before
> McD's took hold of the American palate. And I can recall eating some
> excellent ones over the years.

I had some that weren't so good, but most were far better than
McDonalds. Unless they have changed in the many years since I last had
golden arches fries, they were pretty close to the bottom, the only
fries worse being the old oven cooked fries, but those things improved
over the years.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On 2015-11-14 1:04 PM, Ed Pawlowski wrote:

>> I'm not a fan of McDonalds. Their burgers are overcooked. I'd
>> rather have a good bar burger cooked medium-rare.
>>
>> Cindy Hamilton
>>

> Many of us would. It is sometimes a matter of convenience. Two minutes
> through the drive through versus 20+ going to a real burger place.

The convenience explains why some people eat it. What surprises me is
that so many people say they actually like it.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Saturday, November 14, 2015 at 1:04:38 PM UTC-5, Ed Pawlowski wrote:
> On 11/14/2015 12:43 PM, Cindy Hamilton wrote:
>

> > I'm not a fan of McDonalds. Their burgers are overcooked. I'd
> > rather have a good bar burger cooked medium-rare.
> >
> > Cindy Hamilton
> >

> Many of us would. It is sometimes a matter of convenience. Two minutes
> through the drive through versus 20+ going to a real burger place.

Oh, heck yeah. The last time I went to Mickey D's was last year,
after visiting my mother in the hospital. I realized it was 3:00
and I hadn't had lunch. Golden Arches, here I come. It gave me
a craving for pickles on hamburgers, so I bought a jar and had
pickles on my homemade burgers all summer long.

Cindy Hamilton

Posted to rec.food.cooking

wrote:

> >> vs. the fattiness of Americans who stuff themselves with McDogs

> food, >> if you can call it food - yuck.
> >
> > You need to lighten up on this issue. First of all, you might not
> > like McDonalds food but you are in the minority. Lots of ppl like
> > it and the company makes a fortune each year worldwide.
> >
> > It's "different" food and I've always loved it. Don't eat there
> > often, maybe once or twice a year but I'm always happy when I do.
> >
> > Because of the McD french fry talk here lately, I stopped by on the
> > way home yesterday. All I bought was 2 small fries (from their 'not
> > a dollar anymore' menu). They were fresh cooked. Got out to my van
> > and tasted one. It needed a bit of salt so I dumped out both bags
> > into the large bag, added one packet of their nifty popcorn salt,
> > shook the bag then started eating them as I drove home.
> >
> > Keep in mind, I hadn't had these in almost a year but WOW! What an
> > amazingly good taste and crunch. There was no stopping. Their food
> > is no where near YUCK. It's pretty darn good eats.
> >
> > YMMV but mine never will. I've always loved and always will love McD
> > food. They are not responsible for overweight people. The people
> > themselves that overeat need to take full responsibility for that.

> We have to agree to disagree on this - it's something like 30 years
> since I was in one or ate anything of theirs.

Umm, they have changed a LOT in that time. Like, they have salads and
healthy choices of dressings to match them.

You are talking with people with current experience in them, based on
30 years ago.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Sun, 15 Nov 2015 05:25:53 +1100, Bruce > wrote:

>On Sat, 14 Nov 2015 10:21:44 -0400, wrote:
>
>>On Sat, 14 Nov 2015 20:47:57 +1100, Bruce > wrote:

m...

>>>I don't understand how anyone can say that McDonald's revolutionized
>>>fries/chips. The only thing McDonald's revolutionized is diabetes.

>>I believe it could be said the revolutionized making extruded chips,
>>yucky things.

>You have to give them one thing: they make bad fries on a scale never
>seen before.

That's true, unless they have radically changed in 30 years. Mostly I
found everything, be it a burger or piece of fish all tasted the same
and back then the coffee was undrinkable.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Sat, 14 Nov 2015 13:33:49 -0500, Gary > wrote:

wrote:

>> We have to agree to disagree on this - it's something like 30 years
>> since I was in one or ate anything of theirs.

>Well, after 30 years much has changed. You might want to give it a
>minor try again...or not. Just maybe a small fries and a hamburger.
>Don't compare that to other restaurant food though, just decide on
>what you have there. Their products are like two different food
>worlds. Like canned tuna and fresh tuna. I like them both but it's
>hard to believe that they come from the same animal.

I don't think so, when I pass by the local one, it smells the same as
it tasted back then. Recently I broke down and got some KFC, was
sorry I did.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

Dave Smith wrote in rec.food.cooking:

> On 2015-11-14 1:04 PM, Ed Pawlowski wrote:
>

> > > I'm not a fan of McDonalds. Their burgers are overcooked. I'd
> > > rather have a good bar burger cooked medium-rare.
> > >
> > > Cindy Hamilton
> > >

> > Many of us would. It is sometimes a matter of convenience. Two
> > minutes through the drive through versus 20+ going to a real burger
> > place.

> The convenience explains why some people eat it. What surprises me is
> that so many people say they actually like it.

Nothing that suprising. Treat it for what it is. Fast food. It's not
expected to stand up to a 4star type meal. It's a quick fix when on
the road.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Sat, 14 Nov 2015 10:21:44 -0400, wrote:

>On Sat, 14 Nov 2015 20:47:57 +1100, Bruce > wrote:
>
>>On Sat, 14 Nov 2015 09:27:22 -0000, "Ophelia" >
>>wrote:

>>>Ignore her. She is not nearly so bright as she thinks she is and twist
>>>things. Ugh.

>>I don't understand how anyone can say that McDonald's revolutionized
>>fries/chips. The only thing McDonald's revolutionized is diabetes.

>I believe it could be said the revolutionized making extruded chips,
>yucky things.

Extruded? At McDonalds? No. Each store cut their own fries, but the
preferred potato was not available all year at all stores. Simplot
supplied frozen cut potato fries from almost the beginning, not sure
if they still supply them or not.
watch the video
http://www.huffingtonpost.com/2015/0...n_6507266.html
or
http://tinyurl.com/n3x9wgj

Janet US
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Sat, 14 Nov 2015 11:55:36 -0500, Gary > wrote:

> Keep in mind, I hadn't had these in almost a year but WOW! What an
> amazingly good taste and crunch. There was no stopping. Their food is
> no where near YUCK. It's pretty darn good eats.
>
> YMMV but mine never will. I've always loved and always will love McD
> food. They are not responsible for overweight people. The people
> themselves that overeat need to take full responsibility for that.

Remember who you're talking to. They're the same type that's so
vociferously against FB. The ones who never used it or when they
didn't understand how to use it the short time they did and their
experience isn't current... of course FB is the devil's spawn.

Same attitude about McDonald's and their fries. Like Walmart,
McDonald's wouldn't be a world wide company if they had no customers.
Perhaps some farmers somewhere grew a 1lb by accident before McDonalds
standardized the industry, I highly doubt it though. If it happened,
it was in a area with plentiful summer rain and their shape certainly
wasn't as uniform as they are now. I imagine what we buy at the
grocery store are fast food rejects because we're not processing them
mechanically with as little waste as possible to increase corporate
profit. Such is life. We're eating corporate rejects.

--

sf
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Sat, 14 Nov 2015 15:09:56 -0500, Dave Smith
> wrote:

> On 2015-11-14 1:04 PM, Ed Pawlowski wrote:
>

> >> I'm not a fan of McDonalds. Their burgers are overcooked. I'd
> >> rather have a good bar burger cooked medium-rare.
> >>
> >> Cindy Hamilton
> >>

> > Many of us would. It is sometimes a matter of convenience. Two minutes
> > through the drive through versus 20+ going to a real burger place.

> The convenience explains why some people eat it. What surprises me is
> that so many people say they actually like it.

Why eat it if you don't like it? I certainly wouldn't waste my money
on food I hated. I eat at McDonalds because that's what I want to
eat. It doesn't need to be your favorite food, but you should at
least like it. If you don't, there are lots of other choices at the
same price.

--

sf
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Sun, 15 Nov 2015 07:48:38 +1100, Bruce > wrote:

> Why do governments target smoking the way they do, but there are fast
> food joints in every little town?

Eating fast food is a choice, breathing second hand smoke is not.

--

sf

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Sun, 15 Nov 2015 05:31:57 +1100, Bruce > wrote:

> On Sat, 14 Nov 2015 07:05:45 -0800, sf > wrote:
>
> >On Sat, 14 Nov 2015 20:47:57 +1100, Bruce > wrote:

> >> .. .

> >> I don't understand how anyone can say that McDonald's revolutionized
> >> fries/chips. The only thing McDonald's revolutionized is diabetes.

> >Typical myopia of the British.

> I'm not British. I guess I just agree with them

I know you're a Dutch Australian, but Australia still bows to the
queen and has strong cultural ties to GB - which means attitudes are
more alike than different and you've made that obvious time after
time.

--

sf
Posted to rec.food.cooking

http://metro.co.uk/2015/01/22/macdon...vealed-how-it-
>> makes-french-fries-5031511/
>>
>> Chips, OTOH, are just peeled, cut and fried in boiling fat which is
>> why both the texture and taste are so superior to FF.

> When we peel, cut, and fry potatoes in boiling fat, we call them
> French fries. No difference, really. I've had them cut every way
> from thin shoestrings of potato 1/4" thick to enormous wedges that
> amounted to about 1/8 of a potato.
>
> McDonalds just made a commodity of them, and lowered everybody's expectation
> of what a French fry should be.
>
> I can recall eating some godawful French fries in the early 60s, before
> McD's took hold of the American palate. And I can recall eating some
> excellent ones over the years.
>
> Cindy Hamilton

The best fries I have eaten were the ones the village fish shop made
every year when the new potato crop came in. They were extra special.
Also fried in beef tallow.
Graham
--
"Serious sport has nothing to do with fair play.
It is bound up with hatred, jealousy, boastfulness,
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On 2015-11-14 4:16 PM, cshenk wrote:

>> The convenience explains why some people eat it. What surprises me is
>> that so many people say they actually like it.

> Nothing that suprising. Treat it for what it is. Fast food. It's not
> expected to stand up to a 4star type meal. It's a quick fix when on
> the road.

But like I said, there are people even here who say they like it. They
didn't just say that it is convenient. They actually like it.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

wrote:

>>> We have to agree to disagree on this - it's something like 30 years
>>> since I was in one or ate anything of theirs.
>>>

>> Heaven forbid the people who insist on buying and eating the fat, salt,
>> carb and sugar loaded food at McD's should be in anyway responsible for
>> their poor diet choices. If they went to school in this country and they
>> had health classes at school. They is lots of information about the
>> importance of proper nutrition and the dangers of obesity. McD's sell
>> it because people buy it. If anything, we should be blaming your
>> "victims" for the menu that McDonalds offers.

> Huh ? I think you edited this all wrong!

You think so? I don't. Maybe you did. Gary said he liked and always
liked McD's food and that you can't blame them for people getting fat,
to which you responded that you would have to agree to disagree. I read
that as indicating that you disagreed with Gary's comment and that you
think that McDs is responsible.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On 2015-11-14 5:35 PM, sf wrote:
> On Sun, 15 Nov 2015 07:48:38 +1100, Bruce > wrote:
>
>> Why do governments target smoking the way they do, but there are fast
>> food joints in every little town?

> Eating fast food is a choice, breathing second hand smoke is not.

It is not about the second hand smoke. They don't want people smoking.

I don't like the smell of cigarette smoke but I think it is ridiculous
to ban smoking in parks, which they have done here. It is not even
allowed at the local leash free dog park. People are not allowed to
smoke there even if there are no other people around.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On 2015-11-14 5:30 PM, sf wrote:

>> The convenience explains why some people eat it. What surprises me is
>> that so many people say they actually like it.

> Why eat it if you don't like it? I certainly wouldn't waste my money
> on food I hated. I eat at McDonalds because that's what I want to
> eat. It doesn't need to be your favorite food, but you should at
> least like it. If you don't, there are lots of other choices at the
> same price.

Well duh.. I don't like it and I don't eat it.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Sat, 14 Nov 2015 11:12:16 -0500, Gary > wrote:

> Ed Pawlowski wrote:
> >
> > Way, way back, McD popularized the French fry and made them readily
> > available and cheap for the masses. I think they were 10 cents when
> > burgers were 15 cents.

> Early 60's when we got our first McDonalds near Annapolis, MD.
> Fries were 12 cents - same as comic books
> Hamburgers were 15 cents.
> Bazooka bubble gum with comic and fortune cost a penny.
>
> Each week, I would divide my measly allowance and buy one fries, one
> hamburger, and some comic books. I always had to have my McD fix so I
> usually begged my mom for some extra money for a few extra comic
> books. She was a softy too....she always gave me enough to buy 3-4
> comic books.

I don't think McDonald's opened here until the mid to late 60's and
burgers were definitely 15 cents. My next clear recollection is 25
cent burgers. I don't remember paying 15 or 25, I just remember the
sign with the price. Why? I dunno. Maybe I rode the bus past it
fairly often.

--

sf
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Sat, 14 Nov 2015 15:57:19 -0700, graham > wrote:

> They were extra special. Also fried in beef tallow.

Those were the days.

--

sf
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Saturday, November 14, 2015 at 1:55:48 PM UTC-8, Janet B wrote:
> On Sat, 14 Nov 2015 10:21:44 -0400, wrote:
>
> >On Sat, 14 Nov 2015 20:47:57 +1100, Bruce > wrote:

> >>I don't understand how anyone can say that McDonald's revolutionized
> >>fries/chips. The only thing McDonald's revolutionized is diabetes.

> >I believe it could be said the revolutionized making extruded chips,
> >yucky things.

> Extruded? At McDonalds? No. Each store cut their own fries, but the
> preferred potato was not available all year at all stores. Simplot
> supplied frozen cut potato fries from almost the beginning, not sure
> if they still supply them or not.
> watch the video

http://www.huffingtonpost.com/2015/0...n_6507266.html
> or
> http://tinyurl.com/n3x9wgj

I had thought that McCain's of Canada was the world leader in frozen
french fries these days.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

Dave Smith wrote in rec.food.cooking:

> On 2015-11-14 4:16 PM, cshenk wrote:
>
> > > The convenience explains why some people eat it. What surprises
> > > me is that so many people say they actually like it.

> > Nothing that suprising. Treat it for what it is. Fast food. It's
> > not expected to stand up to a 4star type meal. It's a quick fix
> > when on the road.
> >

> But like I said, there are people even here who say they like it.
> They didn't just say that it is convenient. They actually like it.

It's enjoyable enough for what it is. I kind of like Taco Bell better
but there isnt one close to my routes I take.
Carol

Posted to rec.food.cooking

Dave Smith wrote in rec.food.cooking:

> On 2015-11-14 5:35 PM, sf wrote:
> >On Sun, 15 Nov 2015 07:48:38 +1100, Bruce >

> wrote:
> >
> > > Why do governments target smoking the way they do, but there are
> > > fast food joints in every little town?

> > Eating fast food is a choice, breathing second hand smoke is not.

> It is not about the second hand smoke. They don't want people smoking.
>
> I don't like the smell of cigarette smoke but I think it is
> ridiculous to ban smoking in parks, which they have done here. It is
> not even allowed at the local leash free dog park. People are not
> allowed to smoke there even if there are no other people around.

It has gotten a little silly. I can get it on no smoking in any public
facility or at the door of one. I don't get one business meeting place
that banned even an e-cig in your own car. Thats over the top rude and
ignorant levels.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On 11/12/2015 5:43 AM, Ophelia wrote:

> http://www.telegraph.co.uk/expat/exp...?frame=3335042

That was very educational, thank you! I loved the descriptions of all
of the brown gloppy stuff.

--
ღ.¸¸.œ«*¨`*œ¶
Cheryl
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On 11/14/2015 7:46 PM, Ed Pawlowski wrote:

> Bloomburg is trying to regulate some consumption in NYC but people don't
> want to be told what they can eat or how much.

Bloomberg did try that a few years ago, when he was still the mayor.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On 11/14/2015 7:25 PM, cshenk wrote:
> Dave Smith wrote in rec.food.cooking:
>
>> On 2015-11-14 5:35 PM, sf wrote:

>>> Eating fast food is a choice, breathing second hand smoke is not.

>> It is not about the second hand smoke. They don't want people smoking.
>>
>> I don't like the smell of cigarette smoke but I think it is
>> ridiculous to ban smoking in parks, which they have done here. It is
>> not even allowed at the local leash free dog park. People are not
>> allowed to smoke there even if there are no other people around.

> It has gotten a little silly. I can get it on no smoking in any public
> facility or at the door of one. I don't get one business meeting place
> that banned even an e-cig in your own car. Thats over the top rude and
> ignorant levels.

I've never heard of that! I still use an e-cig and in the office I'd
even vape in my cubical. No smell, no one even noticed or if they did
they never said anything.

--
ღ.¸¸.œ«*¨`*œ¶
Cheryl
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Sat, 14 Nov 2015 15:44:22 -0800, sf > wrote:

>On Sat, 14 Nov 2015 11:12:16 -0500, Gary > wrote:
>
>> Ed Pawlowski wrote:
>> >
>> > Way, way back, McD popularized the French fry and made them readily
>> > available and cheap for the masses. I think they were 10 cents when
>> > burgers were 15 cents.

>> Early 60's when we got our first McDonalds near Annapolis, MD.
>> Fries were 12 cents - same as comic books
>> Hamburgers were 15 cents.
>> Bazooka bubble gum with comic and fortune cost a penny.
>>
>> Each week, I would divide my measly allowance and buy one fries, one
>> hamburger, and some comic books. I always had to have my McD fix so I
>> usually begged my mom for some extra money for a few extra comic
>> books. She was a softy too....she always gave me enough to buy 3-4
>> comic books.

>I don't think McDonald's opened here until the mid to late 60's and
>burgers were definitely 15 cents. My next clear recollection is 25
>cent burgers. I don't remember paying 15 or 25, I just remember the
>sign with the price. Why? I dunno. Maybe I rode the bus past it
>fairly often.

The first, last, and only time I ate a big mac was 1965, in Monterey
Park, CA, cost 19¢... for the same 19¢ it was on par with Der
Weinerschnitzel, another fast food item I tried once and once was
enough. In the early '70s I liked Burger King, when Have It Your Way
meant you could deck out your burger at their help yourself salad
bar... was well worth the 25¢... could have all the tomatoes, lettuce,
onions, pickles, crutons, and dressings you could pile on... was like
a giant chef's salad... that was when I was all done with ********, CA
and working in New Hyde Park, Lung Guyland, NY. But no fast food
joint has decent fries... those skinny things ain't fries. The best
fries were the jumbo crinkle cuts sold at Brooklyn's kosher delis, in
the '50s a healthy portion in a brown paper bag cost 5¢. Nathan's
Famous, Coney Island also had great jumbo crinkle cuts, sm. 5¢ - lg.
10¢. At Nathans you could watch them peel, slice, and deep fry right
in front of you.... they used those giant chefs potatoes like those
Green Giants I buy at BJ's... none of those schtinkin' dwarf spuds. On
a cold winter day I'd stop at a kosher deli for a large fries and a
half pound of hard salami... I don't think you can buy hard kosher
salami anymore, the kosher delis would have Isaac Gellis and Shofar
brand hanging from hooks, dripping fat for 2-3 months until dry... no
Hebrew National, was crap back then and is worse crap today.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

"Bruce" > wrote in message
> On Sat, 14 Nov 2015 09:21:30 -0800, "Cheri" >
> wrote:
>

>>"Bruce" > wrote in message
. ..

>>> fries/chips. The only thing McDonald's revolutionized is diabetes.
>>>
>>> --
>>> Bruce

>>Totally untrue.

> In the sense that McD doesn't force their food down people's throats.
>
> --
> Bruce

You really have no clue.

Cheri

Posted to rec.food.cooking

"Bruce" > wrote in message
> On Sat, 14 Nov 2015 17:32:10 -0800, "Cheri" >
> wrote:
>

>>"Bruce" > wrote in message
. ..
> [...]
m...

>>> In the sense that McD doesn't force their food down people's throats.
>>>

>>You really have no clue.

> I just agreed with you, silly woman.
>
> --
> Bruce

I was referring to the diabetes thing, silly boy.

Cheri

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On 11/14/2015 11:12 AM, Gary wrote:

> Early 60's when we got our first McDonalds near Annapolis, MD.
> Fries were 12 cents - same as comic books
> Hamburgers were 15 cents.
> Bazooka bubble gum with comic and fortune cost a penny.
>
> Each week, I would divide my measly allowance and buy one fries, one
> hamburger, and some comic books. I always had to have my McD fix so I
> usually begged my mom for some extra money for a few extra comic
> books. She was a softy too....she always gave me enough to buy 3-4
> comic books.

Probably late 60s or early 70s here. It was a maybe once a year "treat".
I can still remember the smell of the french fries making my mouth water
on the drive home to eat it.

--
ღ.¸¸.œ«*¨`*œ¶
Cheryl
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Sat, 14 Nov 2015 18:32:13 -0500, Dave Smith
> wrote:

> On 2015-11-14 5:30 PM, sf wrote:
>
> >> The convenience explains why some people eat it. What surprises me is
> >> that so many people say they actually like it.

> > Why eat it if you don't like it? I certainly wouldn't waste my money
> > on food I hated. I eat at McDonalds because that's what I want to
> > eat. It doesn't need to be your favorite food, but you should at
> > least like it. If you don't, there are lots of other choices at the
> > same price.
> >

> Well duh.. I don't like it and I don't eat it.

Then it should be of no concern to you.

--

sf
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Sun, 15 Nov 2015 09:47:09 +1100, Bruce > wrote:

> On Sat, 14 Nov 2015 14:35:16 -0800, sf > wrote:
>
> >On Sun, 15 Nov 2015 07:48:38 +1100, Bruce > wrote:
> >
> >> Why do governments target smoking the way they do, but there are fast
> >> food joints in every little town?

> >Eating fast food is a choice, breathing second hand smoke is not.

> Of course, but even limited to first hand smoking: there are
> government campaigns against smoking, cigarettes are heavily taxed,
> tobacco ads are banned.
>
> Why doesn't the same apply to fast food? When half the population is
> wobbling around obese, suffering from diabetes, holding coca cola in
> one hand and a hamburger in the other, governments don't react much.

Obese, diabetic people may harm themselves when they eat, but the
simple act of eating is harmless to others. Smokers not only harm
themselves by smoking, they harm others with their second hand smoke.

--

sf