Stephen M

Default Kitchenaid Mixer

My mom has offered to buy a Kitchenaid mixer for my wife for a birthday
gift.

My Mom has an *old* KA standard mixer and loves it and wants to get my wife
a "classic" 250 Watt model.

I need to figure out if a the Classic is a mistake for my wife. And if so,
what is a more appropriate model.

IDAGS and learned that

1. They don't mak'm like they used to.
2. More (wattage) is better (surprise surprise)
3. There are happy people with all models

Carole likes to make bread on occaision and owns a bread machine that she
uses frequently. I don't see her using this machine for marathon bread
kneeding, but definitely once in a while.

2 questions:

A: Is a classic enough for general use and if not would bumping up to an
artisan make a difference?

B: What are the advantages/Diadvantages of the Tilt head verses bowl-lift
systems?

Thanks,

Steve

Dimitri

"Stephen M" > wrote in message
> My mom has offered to buy a Kitchenaid mixer for my wife for a birthday
> gift.
>
> My Mom has an *old* KA standard mixer and loves it and wants to get my
> wife
> a "classic" 250 Watt model.
>
> I need to figure out if a the Classic is a mistake for my wife. And if so,
> what is a more appropriate model.
>
> IDAGS and learned that
>
> 1. They don't mak'm like they used to.
> 2. More (wattage) is better (surprise surprise)
> 3. There are happy people with all models
>
> Carole likes to make bread on occaision and owns a bread machine that she
> uses frequently. I don't see her using this machine for marathon bread
> kneeding, but definitely once in a while.
>
> 2 questions:
>
> A: Is a classic enough for general use and if not would bumping up to an
> artisan make a difference?
>
> B: What are the advantages/Diadvantages of the Tilt head verses bowl-lift
> systems?
>
> Thanks,
>
> Steve

You have a little more homework to do:

Go here and start reading.

http://www.kitchenaid.com/catalog/ca...categoryId=310

Dimitri

Petey the Wonder Dog

Far as I can tell, someone wrote:
>A: Is a classic enough for general use and if not would bumping up to an
>artisan make a difference?

I've been using my 600 watt (?) for a few years and it's been flawless.
My old old old KA was too small and the contacts on the armature were
shot. It lived a good life, and I gave it to a friend who needed it and
could get the parts.

>B: What are the advantages/Diadvantages of the Tilt head verses bowl-lift
>systems?

I like being able to lower the bowl with the motor running to help clear
the paddle.

It's really just a matter of taste though.
Paul M. Cook©®

"Stephen M" > wrote in message
> My mom has offered to buy a Kitchenaid mixer for my wife for a birthday
> gift.
>
> My Mom has an *old* KA standard mixer and loves it and wants to get my

wife
> a "classic" 250 Watt model.
>
> I need to figure out if a the Classic is a mistake for my wife. And if so,
> what is a more appropriate model.
>
> IDAGS and learned that
>
> 1. They don't mak'm like they used to.
> 2. More (wattage) is better (surprise surprise)
> 3. There are happy people with all models
>
> Carole likes to make bread on occaision and owns a bread machine that she
> uses frequently. I don't see her using this machine for marathon bread
> kneeding, but definitely once in a while.
>
> 2 questions:
>
> A: Is a classic enough for general use and if not would bumping up to an
> artisan make a difference?

Get the Pro 6. You want it to suck enought wattage to dim a city
neighborhood. OK, OK. You want wattage if you will make anything like
bread or heavy doughs. My Pro 6 can handle a 2 pound ball of dough and not
even break a sweat.

> B: What are the advantages/Diadvantages of the Tilt head verses bowl-lift
> systems?

The tilt head is great for bakers especially if you do a lot of egg whites.
It's really just a convenience is all. I've not found the fixed head to be
any kind of hindrance, though if I were making recipes that called for
frequent addition of ingredients a tilt head would be nice.

Paul

PENMART01

"Paul M. Kook" writes:

>"Stephen M" wrote:
>>
>>Is a classic enough for general use and if not would bumping up to an
>>artisan make a difference?

>My Pro 6 can handle a 2 pound ball of dough and not even break a sweat.

Braging or complaining... matches your two inch pecker... unless you're a
cripple no one needs a machine for one stinkin' loaf.

---= Move UNITED NATIONS To Paris =---
*********
Sheldon
````````````

Raj V

PENMART01 wrote:

> Braging or complaining... matches your two inch pecker... unless you're a
> cripple no one needs a machine for one stinkin' loaf.

The great thing about email is that you can killfile dolts, morons and
idiots, even if, on rare occasions, they might actually have something
interesting to say. Life is too short.

Raj
"Never argue with an idiot.....they bring you down to their level and then
beat you with experience."

JeanineAlyse in 29 Palms

Stephen asks 2 questions regarding Kitchenaid Mixers:
>A: Is a classic enough for general use
>and if not would bumping up to an
>artisan make a difference?

I bought the highest powered 5-something more expensive one for myself,
and after just one general use I gave it to my no stand mixer having
daughter. I replaced it with the 3-something one that I enjoy using
infrequently now.
>B: What are the
>advantages/Diadvantages of the Tilt
>head verses bowl-lift
>systems?

While the bowl-lift type certainly did make spinning the beaters free of
makings easier, I did not at all appreciate the mechanics of tilting the
bowl into the needed in/on and out/off positions required, but that is
likely because of arthritic wrists and the mixer setting atop a kitchen
counter too high for my 5'4" leverage comfort. I find the tilt-head
much easier to use.

If your wife will not need the higher power for her bread making, I
would think the lower powered mixer will certainly be appropriate.
However, if she will be using this gift for many things, and has no
arm-strength problems, go for the higher powered one that *may* assure
better longevity of use.

Picky ~JA~

sf

On Thu, 11 Nov 2004 07:24:32 GMT, "Paul M. Cook©®"
> wrote:

>The tilt head is great for bakers especially if you do a lot of egg whites.
>It's really just a convenience is all. I've not found the fixed head to be
>any kind of hindrance, though if I were making recipes that called for
>frequent addition of ingredients a tilt head would be nice.

Aren't there accessories that allow you to add ingredients w/o lifting
the head?
sf

On Thu, 11 Nov 2004 07:24:32 GMT, "Paul M. Cook©®"
> wrote:

>The tilt head is great for bakers especially if you do a lot of egg whites.
>It's really just a convenience is all. I've not found the fixed head to be
>any kind of hindrance, though if I were making recipes that called for
>frequent addition of ingredients a tilt head would be nice.

Aren't there accessories that allow you to add ingredients w/o lifting
the head?
Terry Pulliam Burd

On Fri, 12 Nov 2004 10:04:12 -0800, sf > wrote:

>On Thu, 11 Nov 2004 07:24:32 GMT, "Paul M. Cook©®"
> wrote:
>

>>The tilt head is great for bakers especially if you do a lot of egg whites.
>>It's really just a convenience is all. I've not found the fixed head to be
>>any kind of hindrance, though if I were making recipes that called for
>>frequent addition of ingredients a tilt head would be nice.

>Aren't there accessories that allow you to add ingredients w/o lifting
>the head?

Yup - there's a cool plastic ring with a wide upward spout that allows
you to do just that. It also helps keep the flour addition from
becoming a mushroom cloud.

Terry "Squeaks" Pulliam Burd
AAC(F)BV66.0748.CA

"Just what kind of jackassery do I have to put up with today?" Danae
in "Non Sequitur"

Terry Pulliam Burd

On Fri, 12 Nov 2004 10:04:12 -0800, sf > wrote:

>On Thu, 11 Nov 2004 07:24:32 GMT, "Paul M. Cook©®"
> wrote:
>

>>The tilt head is great for bakers especially if you do a lot of egg whites.
>>It's really just a convenience is all. I've not found the fixed head to be
>>any kind of hindrance, though if I were making recipes that called for
>>frequent addition of ingredients a tilt head would be nice.

>Aren't there accessories that allow you to add ingredients w/o lifting
>the head?

Yup - there's a cool plastic ring with a wide upward spout that allows
you to do just that. It also helps keep the flour addition from
becoming a mushroom cloud.

Terry "Squeaks" Pulliam Burd
AAC(F)BV66.0748.CA

"Just what kind of jackassery do I have to put up with today?" Danae
in "Non Sequitur"

Terry Pulliam Burd