Posted to rec.food.cooking

Default Radish rot

I bought some radishes in a bag from Amazon. I prefer to get them this way
because I don't eat the greens Or if I can find loose ones without the
greens, like at Central Market, I'll get those. All but one in the bag
looked fine from the outside. But one had a little black on the end. I
assumed that it was dirt but it didn't wash off So I tried to cut off But
there were tunnels of black throughout the inside. I then cut two more
open. Same thing. Those looked perfectly fine from the outside. So out
they went. Ick.

What might have caused this? Too much water when growing? A worm?

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Thu, 13 Aug 2015 22:04:30 -0700, "Julie Bove"
> wrote:

>I bought some radishes in a bag from Amazon. I prefer to get them this way
>because I don't eat the greens Or if I can find loose ones without the
>greens, like at Central Market, I'll get those. All but one in the bag
>looked fine from the outside. But one had a little black on the end. I
>assumed that it was dirt but it didn't wash off So I tried to cut off But
>there were tunnels of black throughout the inside. I then cut two more
>open. Same thing. Those looked perfectly fine from the outside. So out
>they went. Ick.
>
>What might have caused this? Too much water when growing? A worm?

Why do you buy from Amazon? They are so far removed from the food
production chain, I'm not surprised they are poor quality.

Radishes also happen to be hands-down the easiest vegetable to grow
yourself. If you like radishes, why not grow some? They could hardly
be easier to grow. If you did, you'd probably complain about having
too many radishes. Don't tell me you can't grow them, *anyone* can,
regardless of where they live.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

"Jeßus" > wrote in message
> On Thu, 13 Aug 2015 22:04:30 -0700, "Julie Bove"
> > wrote:
>
>>I bought some radishes in a bag from Amazon. I prefer to get them this
>>way
>>because I don't eat the greens Or if I can find loose ones without the
>>greens, like at Central Market, I'll get those. All but one in the bag
>>looked fine from the outside. But one had a little black on the end. I
>>assumed that it was dirt but it didn't wash off So I tried to cut off
>>But
>>there were tunnels of black throughout the inside. I then cut two more
>>open. Same thing. Those looked perfectly fine from the outside. So out
>>they went. Ick.
>>
>>What might have caused this? Too much water when growing? A worm?

> Why do you buy from Amazon? They are so far removed from the food
> production chain, I'm not surprised they are poor quality.

How are they far removed? It's local produce! And I bought from them
because I am in the middle of a long, drawn out process of getting my house
painted. I think today will finish it up. He just has to do the front
door, remove a little tape and such and perhaps some touch up. Intermittent
thunderstorms that come out of nowhere are causing him to have to stop.

Couple that with some sort of bizarre allergic reaction that caused my nose
and eyes to swell up and a subsequent trip to the ER. Which means that I
did not want to go out in public looking like that. I also had contact
dermatitis which I finally pinned to the cooling towel I had been using. At
any rate, my nose resembled a cross between W.C. Fields and Jimmy Durante.
Not how I desired to look. Swelling is almost all the way down now and BP
has returned to normal. It had been very high so I had been ordered to rest
until it came down.

This is why I have not been to the store except to go to the pharmacy late
at night for some prescriptions. Also a quick trip to Walmart for something
that somebody needed right away for a trip. And because of the trip, I was
also letting the food supply dwidle, save for those things I will personally
eat. I just cleaned out the fridge and got rid of all leftovers that I will
not eat and a few other things that I will not eat but will not keep until
they get back. So now I am pretty much down to condiments, a little cheese
and lunch meat and produce in there. Plus a lot of bottles of water.

I plan not to buy much while they are away. I do want to go to Big Lots
before their coupon expires. I hope to be able to get some pasta, a few
canned things, maybe some paper goods. I am running low on a few of these
things. Also need bread and some more soda pop.

I just made a full pot of chicken noodle soup and that should last me for
several days. Also got a case of Habitant Canadian Pea soup from Amazon.
That and some bean burritos and fresh produce will be enough for me. Will
have to get a little more produce at some point but have enough now for the
rest of the week.

> Radishes also happen to be hands-down the easiest vegetable to grow
> yourself. If you like radishes, why not grow some? They could hardly
> be easier to grow. If you did, you'd probably complain about having
> too many radishes. Don't tell me you can't grow them, *anyone* can,
> regardless of where they live.

Because I have no place to grow them. I have had gardens. I have a very
tiny yard here. I did try to garden using Earth Boxes. I had to put those
on my deck. Not an option now as the deck is giving up the ghost and that
will be the next project to get done. The guy who did the painting will do
the deck as well.

I also know that radishes are a cool weather crop. Weather like we've been
having is not good for growing them. They tend to bolt in hot weather and
if any are produced, they will likely be too hot for my liking. We are also
under the threat of water restrictions. And they could be severe. Our
water source is drying up rapidly and we have had very little rain. Those
thunderstorms produce a lot of light and noise but not much rain. If the
restrictions begin, it would mean not being able to use a garden hose and
even possible shut offs for several hours a day. I would never try to grow
anything in conditions like this.

The people I know who do have gardens are having bumper crops of some
things, like giant zucchinis but the tomatoes are getting a weird sunburn on
the bottoms so not edible. OTOH, I have a bumper crop of one kind of apple
and one kind of pear. I plan to take some to a friend and not sure what to
do with the rest. I will not can them. Been there, done that, nobody
wanted them or ate them. So big waste of our time. I might make some
Applets. Those were quite good.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Friday, August 14, 2015 at 5:46:38 AM UTC-6, Julie Bove wrote:

> >>I bought some radishes in a bag from Amazon. I prefer to get them this
> >>way
> >>because I don't eat the greens Or if I can find loose ones without the
> >>greens, like at Central Market, I'll get those. All but one in the bag
> >>looked fine from the outside. But one had a little black on the end. I
> >>assumed that it was dirt but it didn't wash off So I tried to cut off
> >>But
> >>there were tunnels of black throughout the inside. I then cut two more
> >>open. Same thing. Those looked perfectly fine from the outside. So out
> >>they went. Ick.
> >>
> >>What might have caused this? Too much water when growing? A worm?

Most likely damage from flea beetles. Their larvae also infect turnips and
canola.

I wouldn't buy ANY foods from Amazon...they are not a food wholesaler...
smarten up.
====
Posted to rec.food.cooking

Roy wrote:
> I wouldn't buy ANY foods from Amazon...they are not a food wholesaler...
> smarten up.
> ====

Do you not get the concept of distribution centers and warehouses?

They're every bit as much a food wholesaler as Sysco.

Damn you're dumb.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Friday, August 14, 2015 at 10:43:48 AM UTC-6, truth and honor wrote:
> Roy wrote:
> > I wouldn't buy ANY foods from Amazon...they are not a food wholesaler...
> > smarten up.
> > ====

> Do you not get the concept of distribution centers and warehouses?
>
> They're every bit as much a food wholesaler as Sysco.
>
> Damn you're dumb.

Sysco...yes, they distribute packaged crap mostly...and at huge markup
as well. I wouldn't buy ANYTHING from them. Somehow they have huge
influence on government-run enterprises or gov't supervised nursing or
old-folk homes. Personally, I wouldn't patronize them but I am not
in a position to make decisions for the institutions so mentioned.

If Julie wants crappy produce, she certainly is going about it the right
way.

Now, shut your yap and get back under your drawbridge.
===
Posted to rec.food.cooking

Roy wrote:
> On Friday, August 14, 2015 at 10:43:48 AM UTC-6, truth and honor wrote:
>> Roy wrote:
>>> I wouldn't buy ANY foods from Amazon...they are not a food wholesaler...
>>> smarten up.
>>> ====

>> Do you not get the concept of distribution centers and warehouses?
>>
>> They're every bit as much a food wholesaler as Sysco.
>>
>> Damn you're dumb.

> Sysco...yes, they distribute packaged crap mostly...and at huge markup
> as well. I wouldn't buy ANYTHING from them.

Here's a clue, you insipid idjit - major restaurant chains across North
America DO!

Dominantly.

Cope, fool.

> Somehow they have huge
> influence on government-run enterprises or gov't supervised nursing or
> old-folk homes.

Really?

I mean why is that, so they can kill seniors off?

LOL!

You're a paranoid tundra bug.

> Personally, I wouldn't patronize them but I am not
> in a position to make decisions for the institutions so mentioned.

Just to cast utterly UN-founded aspersions without even a supportive link.

You blithering idiot.

> If Julie wants crappy produce, she certainly is going about it the right
> way.

If you're looking to bully her you'll pay the price with ME first, asshole!

> Now, shut your yap and get back under your drawbridge.
> ===

Do not EVER presume to give ME any orders, you slithering little skunk.

I'd be pleased to mess you up big time!

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Friday, August 14, 2015 at 11:04:47 AM UTC-6, truth and honor wrote:
> Roy wrote:
> >>

> >> Do you not get the concept of distribution centers and warehouses?
> >>
> >> They're every bit as much a food wholesaler as Sysco.
> >>
> >> Damn you're dumb.

> > Sysco...yes, they distribute packaged crap mostly...and at huge markup
> > as well. I wouldn't buy ANYTHING from them.

> Here's a clue, you insipid idjit - major restaurant chains across North
> America DO!
>
> Dominantly.
>
> Cope, fool.
>
> > Somehow they have huge
> > influence on government-run enterprises or gov't supervised nursing or
> > old-folk homes.

> Really?
>
> I mean why is that, so they can kill seniors off?
>
> LOL!
>
> You're a paranoid tundra bug.
>
> > Personally, I wouldn't patronize them but I am not
> > in a position to make decisions for the institutions so mentioned.

> Just to cast utterly UN-founded aspersions without even a supportive link.
>
> You blithering idiot.
>
> > If Julie wants crappy produce, she certainly is going about it the right
> > way.

> If you're looking to bully her you'll pay the price with ME first, asshole!
>
> > Now, shut your yap and get back under your drawbridge.
> > ===

> Do not EVER presume to give ME any orders, you slithering little skunk.
>
> I'd be pleased to mess you up big time!

Like to threaten and intimate eh? About your boorish style.
Get back in your pink Cadillac and go manage your broodmares.
==========
Posted to rec.food.cooking

Roy wrote:

>>> Sysco...yes, they distribute packaged crap mostly...and at huge markup
>>> as well. I wouldn't buy ANYTHING from them.

>> Here's a clue, you insipid idjit - major restaurant chains across North
>> America DO!
>>
>> Dominantly.
>>
>> Cope, fool.
>>
>>> Somehow they have huge
>>> influence on government-run enterprises or gov't supervised nursing or
>>> old-folk homes.

>> Really?
>>
>> I mean why is that, so they can kill seniors off?
>>
>> LOL!
>>
>> You're a paranoid tundra bug.
>>
>>> Personally, I wouldn't patronize them but I am not
>>> in a position to make decisions for the institutions so mentioned.

>> Just to cast utterly UN-founded aspersions without even a supportive link.
>>
>> You blithering idiot.
>>
>>> If Julie wants crappy produce, she certainly is going about it the right
>>> way.

>> If you're looking to bully her you'll pay the price with ME first, asshole!
>>
>>> Now, shut your yap and get back under your drawbridge.
>>> ===

>> Do not EVER presume to give ME any orders, you slithering little skunk.
>>
>> I'd be pleased to mess you up big time!

> Like to threaten and intimate eh?

Like to run your soporific canuckleheaded mouth with NO accountability, eh?

> About your boorish style.

About your level of routine cowardice - as expected.

> Get back in your pink Cadillac and go manage your broodmares.

Keep diminishing whatever specter of relevance you ever had here.

You do my work far faster and more completely than I ever could.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On 8/14/2015 6:46 AM, Julie Bove wrote:

> The people I know who do have gardens are having bumper crops of some
> things, like giant zucchinis but the tomatoes are getting a weird
> sunburn on the bottoms so not edible. OTOH, I have a bumper crop of one
> kind of apple and one kind of pear. I plan to take some to a friend and
> not sure what to do with the rest. I will not can them. Been there,
> done that, nobody wanted them or ate them. So big waste of our time. I
> might make some Applets. Those were quite good.

Are you sure that's sunburn on the *bottom* of tomatoes? It sounds more
like black root rot (although I do admit that root rot is usually more
prevalent when there is too much water, and that is not your problem
right now).

MaryL

Posted to rec.food.cooking

Julie Bove wrote:

> I bought some radishes in a bag from Amazon. I prefer to get them this way
> because I don't eat the greens Or if I can find loose ones without the
> greens, like at Central Market, I'll get those. All but one in the bag
> looked fine from the outside. But one had a little black on the end. I
> assumed that it was dirt but it didn't wash off So I tried to cut off But
> there were tunnels of black throughout the inside. I then cut two more
> open. Same thing. Those looked perfectly fine from the outside. So out
> they went. Ick.
>
> What might have caused this? Too much water when growing? A worm?

Tunnels throughout the inside would be some insect, most likely. I
would send a complaint to Amazon and get my money back. If you like
radishes, buy a pack of seeds and grow your own. They grow like weeds.
I often even just grow them for ground cover for other plants.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

"Jeßus" wrote:

> Radishes also happen to be hands-down the easiest vegetable to grow
> yourself. If you like radishes, why not grow some?

I responded to her too soon. You said it all.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

Julie Bove wrote:

> "Jeßus" wrote:
> > Why do you buy from Amazon? They are so far removed from the food
> > production chain, I'm not surprised they are poor quality.

> How are they far removed? It's local produce! And I bought from them
> because I am in the middle of a long, drawn out process of getting my house
> painted. I think today will finish it up.

He just started it last Friday and now he's finishing up. You call
that a long, drawn out process? Are you for real? Send a pic please.
I would love to see your color combination. It sounds good.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

In article >,
"Julie Bove" > wrote:

> How are they far removed? It's local produce! And I bought from them
> because I am in the middle of a long, drawn out process of getting my house
> painted. I think today will finish it up. He just has to do the front
> door, remove a little tape and such and perhaps some touch up. Intermittent
> thunderstorms that come out of nowhere are causing him to have to stop.
>
> Couple that with some sort of bizarre allergic reaction that caused my nose
> and eyes to swell up and a subsequent trip to the ER.

bet you didn't use low/no VOC paint

Which means that I
> did not want to go out in public looking like that.

and your poor little daughter or husband were unable to shop for
radishes?

I also had contact
> dermatitis which I finally pinned to the cooling towel I had been using. At
> any rate, my nose resembled a cross between W.C. Fields and Jimmy Durante.
> Not how I desired to look. Swelling is almost all the way down now and BP
> has returned to normal. It had been very high so I had been ordered to rest
> until it came down.
>
> This is why I have not been to the store except to go to the pharmacy late
> at night for some prescriptions. Also a quick trip to Walmart for something
> that somebody needed right away for a trip. And because of the trip, I was
> also letting the food supply dwidle, save for those things I will personally
> eat. I just cleaned out the fridge and got rid of all leftovers that I will
> not eat and a few other things that I will not eat but will not keep until
> they get back. So now I am pretty much down to condiments, a little cheese
> and lunch meat and produce in there. Plus a lot of bottles of water.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

Julie Bove wrote:

>I bought some radishes in a bag from Amazon. I prefer to get them this way
>because I don't eat the greens Or if I can find loose ones without the
>greens, like at Central Market, I'll get those. All but one in the bag
>looked fine from the outside. But one had a little black on the end. I
>assumed that it was dirt but it didn't wash off So I tried to cut off But
>there were tunnels of black throughout the inside. I then cut two more
>open. Same thing. Those looked perfectly fine from the outside. So out
>they went. Ick.
>
>What might have caused this? Too much water when growing? A worm?

http://homeguides.sfgate.com/black-r...hes-79443.html

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Fri, 14 Aug 2015 04:46:24 -0700, "Julie Bove"
> wrote:

>"Jeßus" > wrote in message
.. .
> [...]

>under the threat of water restrictions. And they could be severe. Our
>water source is drying up rapidly and we have had very little rain. Those
>thunderstorms produce a lot of light and noise but not much rain. If the
>restrictions begin, it would mean not being able to use a garden hose and
>even possible shut offs for several hours a day. I would never try to grow
>anything in conditions like this.
>
>The people I know who do have gardens are having bumper crops of some
>things, like giant zucchinis but the tomatoes are getting a weird sunburn on
>the bottoms so not edible. OTOH, I have a bumper crop of one kind of apple
>and one kind of pear. I plan to take some to a friend and not sure what to
>do with the rest. I will not can them. Been there, done that, nobody
>wanted them or ate them. So big waste of our time. I might make some

Oh god... not today... I can't deal with you
Posted to rec.food.cooking

Je�us wrote:
>> I might make some
>> >Applets. Those were quite good.

> Oh god... not today... I can't deal with you

But you _always_ make time to criticize her...always...
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Fri, 14 Aug 2015 14:12:12 -0400, Gary > wrote:

>"Jeßus" wrote:
>>
>> Radishes also happen to be hands-down the easiest vegetable to grow
>> yourself. If you like radishes, why not grow some?

>I responded to her too soon. You said it all.

I might put some radishes in this year, why not?
Each time I grow them, I end up with way too many, even though I plant
less seeds each time... oh well

I have spent the past 6 days preparing my veggie garden. I pulled out
all the stops this year in a bid to break down the clay I have here.
Two large truckloads of sheep and cow poo, all of my poultry poo
collected over the past 5 years, some old sawdust, bales of old
sheep's fleece, large round bales of straw put through the
chipper/mulcher, blood and bone, dynamic lifter and about 40 bags of
lime... all mixed up and leveled out. Still need to mulch it, which I
hope to do today.

I plan to grow a lot of tomatoes this year, and make a huge batch of
tomato sauce.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Friday, August 14, 2015 at 4:59:53 PM UTC-6, truth and honor wrote:
> Je�us wrote:
> >> I might make some

> > Oh god... not today... I can't deal with you

> But you _always_ make time to criticize her...always...

Defending the downtrodden is a tough job...perhaps a three month
holiday would help. Why not try that? Perhaps the asylum from which
you escaped might let you back in...you'll never know unless
you try.
=====
Posted to rec.food.cooking

Roy wrote:
>>> Oh god... not today... I can't deal with you

>> But you _always_ make time to criticize her...always...

> Defending the downtrodden is a tough job...

But rewarding!

> perhaps a three month
> holiday would help. Why not try that?

Nah, I get plenty of satisfaction right here, thanks.

> Perhaps the asylum from which
> you escaped might let you back in...you'll never know unless
> you try.

Winter's on the way, enjoy freezing hard to the tundra, canucklehead.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

"Roy" > wrote in message

> Most likely damage from flea beetles. Their larvae also infect turnips and
> canola.
>
> I wouldn't buy ANY foods from Amazon...they are not a food wholesaler...
> smarten up.
> ====

You only buy from Wholesalers?

Posted to rec.food.cooking

"MaryL" > wrote in message
> On 8/14/2015 6:46 AM, Julie Bove wrote:
>>
>> The people I know who do have gardens are having bumper crops of some
>> things, like giant zucchinis but the tomatoes are getting a weird
>> sunburn on the bottoms so not edible. OTOH, I have a bumper crop of one
>> kind of apple and one kind of pear. I plan to take some to a friend and
>> not sure what to do with the rest. I will not can them. Been there,
>> done that, nobody wanted them or ate them. So big waste of our time. I
>> might make some Applets. Those were quite good.

> Are you sure that's sunburn on the *bottom* of tomatoes? It sounds more
> like black root rot (although I do admit that root rot is usually more
> prevalent when there is too much water, and that is not your problem right
> now).
>
> MaryL

That was the consensus. It had been posted about on the community Facebook
page. They get like a tan look to the bottom and it's hard skin.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

"Gary" > wrote in message ...
> Julie Bove wrote:
>>
>> "Jeßus" wrote:
>> > Why do you buy from Amazon? They are so far removed from the food
>> > production chain, I'm not surprised they are poor quality.

>> How are they far removed? It's local produce! And I bought from them
>> because I am in the middle of a long, drawn out process of getting my
>> house
>> painted. I think today will finish it up.

> He just started it last Friday and now he's finishing up. You call
> that a long, drawn out process? Are you for real? Send a pic please.
> I would love to see your color combination. It sounds good.

He didn't just start on Fri. He started a week ago Tues. I was hoping he
would be done today but due to the thunderstorm that came later than
predicted and continues now, I don't think so. He did try to do a few
things today. But then he went home.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

"Gary" > wrote in message ...
> Julie Bove wrote:
>>
>> I bought some radishes in a bag from Amazon. I prefer to get them this
>> way
>> because I don't eat the greens Or if I can find loose ones without the
>> greens, like at Central Market, I'll get those. All but one in the bag
>> looked fine from the outside. But one had a little black on the end. I
>> assumed that it was dirt but it didn't wash off So I tried to cut off
>> But
>> there were tunnels of black throughout the inside. I then cut two more
>> open. Same thing. Those looked perfectly fine from the outside. So out
>> they went. Ick.
>>
>> What might have caused this? Too much water when growing? A worm?

> Tunnels throughout the inside would be some insect, most likely. I
> would send a complaint to Amazon and get my money back. If you like
> radishes, buy a pack of seeds and grow your own. They grow like weeds.
> I often even just grow them for ground cover for other plants.

I have no place to grow them. I'm not going to try to get my money back.
These came packaged. I don't remember from where though.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On 8/14/2015 12:41 PM, Roy wrote:

> I wouldn't buy ANY foods from Amazon...they are not a food wholesaler...
> smarten up.
> ====

Right, they are a food retailer. What makes them any less qualified
than Target, CVS,or Stop & Shop to sell food? Many supermarkets sell
small appliances and computer supplies.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

"truth and honor" > wrote in message
> Je�us wrote:
>>> I might make some

>> Oh god... not today... I can't deal with you

> But you _always_ make time to criticize her...always...

Seems to be his claim to fame.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

"truth and honor" > wrote in message
> Roy wrote:
>>>

>>> But you _always_ make time to criticize her...always...

>> Defending the downtrodden is a tough job...

> But rewarding!
>
>> perhaps a three month
>> holiday would help. Why not try that?

> Nah, I get plenty of satisfaction right here, thanks.
>
>> Perhaps the asylum from which
>> you escaped might let you back in...you'll never know unless
>> you try.

> Winter's on the way, enjoy freezing hard to the tundra, canucklehead.

I got my radish answer. I asked my mom who grew up on a farm. She said
they likely just grew too fast with this heat. Got another bunch with tops
at Safeway for $1.00. They're fine. They are round. The others were
longer. I guess that should have tipped me off.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

"Ed Pawlowski" > wrote in message
> On 8/14/2015 12:41 PM, Roy wrote:
>

>> I wouldn't buy ANY foods from Amazon...they are not a food wholesaler...
>> smarten up.
>> ====
>>

> Right, they are a food retailer. What makes them any less qualified than
> Target, CVS,or Stop & Shop to sell food? Many supermarkets sell small
> appliances and computer supplies.

This is Amazon Fresh which is a grocery delivery service in this area.
Almost everything I have gotten from them was fine. I did have two broken
eggs once. The two green bell peppers in my last order were a little
mushier than I would have liked. Wouldn't have been bad for cooking but I
wanted them raw. I ate most of one, just had to cut off a tiny spot. But
the other went South before I could eat it. The meat is excellent and up
until now I have not have a produce problem that I can remember.

However... Due to the hot weather here, there seems to be less produce
available than usual. Less variety and smaller displays. I guess that
would figure though. We were told to expect this.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On 8/14/2015 6:45 PM, Julie Bove wrote:

> "MaryL" > wrote in message
>> On 8/14/2015 6:46 AM, Julie Bove wrote:
>>>
>>> The people I know who do have gardens are having bumper crops of some
>>> things, like giant zucchinis but the tomatoes are getting a weird
>>> sunburn on the bottoms so not edible. OTOH, I have a bumper crop of one
>>> kind of apple and one kind of pear. I plan to take some to a friend and
>>> not sure what to do with the rest. I will not can them. Been there,
>>> done that, nobody wanted them or ate them. So big waste of our time. I
>>> might make some Applets. Those were quite good.

>> Are you sure that's sunburn on the *bottom* of tomatoes? It sounds
>> more like black root rot (although I do admit that root rot is usually
>> more prevalent when there is too much water, and that is not your
>> problem right now).
>>
>> MaryL

> That was the consensus. It had been posted about on the community
> Facebook page. They get like a tan look to the bottom and it's hard skin.

Well, it's not with that description. I think I would pick those
tomatoes a little early and let them ripen on the counter even though I
usually prefer fully ripe tomatoes from the vine.

MaryL

Posted to rec.food.cooking

"MaryL" > wrote in message
> On 8/14/2015 6:45 PM, Julie Bove wrote:

>>> Are you sure that's sunburn on the *bottom* of tomatoes? It sounds
>>> more like black root rot (although I do admit that root rot is usually
>>> more prevalent when there is too much water, and that is not your
>>> problem right now).
>>>
>>> MaryL

>> That was the consensus. It had been posted about on the community
>> Facebook page. They get like a tan look to the bottom and it's hard
>> skin.

> Well, it's not with that description. I think I would pick those tomatoes
> a little early and let them ripen on the counter even though I usually
> prefer fully ripe tomatoes from the vine.

They're all ruined how. Seems to have happened very quickly.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

Julie Bove wrote:

> However... Due to the hot weather here, there seems to be less produce
> available than usual. Less variety and smaller displays. I guess that
> would figure though. We were told to expect this.

What's the theory behind that, Julie?

Your baby high temps (70'sF - to rarely 90F) are nothing compared to
mine, Jill's, and others....yet we still find plenty of vegetable
variety available in all the grocery stores, vegetable stands, etc.

Only in your area again?
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Fri, 14 Aug 2015 22:29:28 -0400, Ed Pawlowski > wrote:

>On 8/14/2015 12:41 PM, Roy wrote:
>

>> I wouldn't buy ANY foods from Amazon...they are not a food wholesaler...
>> smarten up.

>Right, they are a food retailer. What makes them any less qualified
>than Target, CVS,or Stop & Shop to sell food? Many supermarkets sell
>small appliances and computer supplies.

I buy many food items from Amazon, and at lower cost than from the
brick and mortars, fast delivery and right to my door. I haven't
ordered perishables yet, I don't think that service is available here,
too rural. As an Amazon Prime customer I reap great service and
savings... I also avail myself of Amazon's Subscribe & Save feature,
even more savings.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Sat, 15 Aug 2015 09:44:04 -0400, Gary > wrote:

> Julie Bove wrote:
> >
> > However... Due to the hot weather here, there seems to be less produce
> > available than usual. Less variety and smaller displays. I guess that
> > would figure though. We were told to expect this.

> What's the theory behind that, Julie?
>
> Your baby high temps (70'sF - to rarely 90F) are nothing compared to
> mine, Jill's, and others....yet we still find plenty of vegetable
> variety available in all the grocery stores, vegetable stands, etc.
>
> Only in your area again?

Her area is in a drought and it is warmer than ever. It's so dry in
her area that there is a huge forest fire in Olympic National Park.
http://www.washingtonpost.com/news/m...st-is-on-fire/
She doesn't understand it, but her entire area is what's known as a
temperate rain forest. She thinks she's not in it because
urbanization has depleted the forest and now they have specific places
labeled as "forest", however - the rainforest is in a drought and
higher temperatures are indicative of it. I normally have horrible
cold, foggy summers here. August can be 30 days of no sun with cold,
blistering wind and the heat turned up in the house, but days are
balmy and beautiful this year even if there is a high overcast that
blocks the blue sky.
http://www.theweathernetwork.com/new...w-in-bc/49326/

You're practically drowning in rain on the East coast, but the West
Coast is in the midst of a multi-year drought (which doesn't stop at
the Canadian boarder). I don't know if you've noticed - although
you're getting rainfall, you're getting fewer hurricanes this year.
http://www.cnn.com/2015/06/01/us/hur...-outlook-2015/

Drought on the West Coast means less water, stressed plants (tomatoes
are sold as "dry farmed") - great tasting vegetables, but less of them
and more expensive. They're talking about a gargantuan El Nino this
winter. Hopefully it dumps a lot of snow in the mountains to recharge
our reservoirs quickly, but we'll need several years of significant
rain to recharge our aquifers.

--

sf
Posted to rec.food.cooking

Gary wrote:
> Only in your area again?

Why don't you knock off the snark, ferret ****er.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On 8/14/2015 7:43 PM, Julie Bove wrote:

>>> this
>>> the
>>> bag
>>> end. >>I
>>> more
>>> So >>out

>> Most likely damage from flea beetles. Their larvae also infect turnips
>> and
>> canola.
>>
>> I wouldn't buy ANY foods from Amazon...they are not a food wholesaler...
>> smarten up.
>> ====

> You only buy from Wholesalers?

Amazon isn't even a Food Retailer in the strictest sense of the word.
Amazon started out as a bookstore, you do realize that, right?

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Amazon.com#History

"Bezos finally decided that his new business would sell books online,
due to the large world-wide demand for literature, the low price points
for books, along with the huge number of titles available in print.[20]
Amazon[21] was originally founded in Bezos' garage in Bellevue,
Washington.[22]"

Well... now they're an online megastore. They cannot possibly guarantee
you're going to get fantastic, fresh produce ordered through them
online. They're a third party vendor. Amazon doesn't employ farm
workers to pick the produce for you and deliver it to your door.

So sorry about the house painting issue but you said yourself it was
raining and delayed. Surely *someone* in the household could have gone
out and bought decent produce.

This isn't the first time you've mentioned disappointment with things
ordered from Amazon.com. I doubt it will be the last. (sigh)

Jill

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On 8/14/2015 10:29 PM, Ed Pawlowski wrote:
> On 8/14/2015 12:41 PM, Roy wrote:
>

>> I wouldn't buy ANY foods from Amazon...they are not a food wholesaler...
>> smarten up.
>> ====
>>

> Right, they are a food retailer. What makes them any less qualified
> than Target, CVS,or Stop & Shop to sell food? Many supermarkets sell
> small appliances and computer supplies.

Amazon.com is *now* a food retailer, in some areas. Amazon.com started
out as an online book retailer.

Target, CVS, Stop & Shop. Are those stores with physical buildings and
the room to stock fresh items? That's the difference.

I simply don't understand ordering something like produce online. I
don't see how anyone could expect it to be good unless they went to
select it themselves.

Jill
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On 8/15/2015 9:44 AM, Gary wrote:
> Julie Bove wrote:
>>
>> However... Due to the hot weather here, there seems to be less produce
>> available than usual. Less variety and smaller displays. I guess that
>> would figure though. We were told to expect this.

> What's the theory behind that, Julie?
>
> Your baby high temps (70'sF - to rarely 90F) are nothing compared to
> mine, Jill's, and others....yet we still find plenty of vegetable
> variety available in all the grocery stores, vegetable stands, etc.
>
> Only in your area again?

Seems to be, Gary. It's been in the 90's here for most of the month.
But the temps dropped in the last day. Right now it's 83° which is
fantastic for this time of year.

I can always find good fresh vegetables, either at nearby farm stands or
the supermarket. I can't understand ordering produce online. <shrug>

Jill
Posted to rec.food.cooking

"Gary" > wrote in message ...
> Julie Bove wrote:
>>
>> However... Due to the hot weather here, there seems to be less produce
>> available than usual. Less variety and smaller displays. I guess that
>> would figure though. We were told to expect this.

> What's the theory behind that, Julie?
>
> Your baby high temps (70'sF - to rarely 90F) are nothing compared to
> mine, Jill's, and others....yet we still find plenty of vegetable
> variety available in all the grocery stores, vegetable stands, etc.
>
> Only in your area again?

In case you haven't noticed, there is a drought here and in CA. Probably in
OR too. That is affecting everything. Please stop thinking that every
other place in the world is like where you live. It isn't. And vegetable
stands? What are those? I've never seen anything like that here.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

"sf" > wrote in message
news
> On Sat, 15 Aug 2015 09:44:04 -0400, Gary > wrote:
>
>> Julie Bove wrote:
>> >
>> > However... Due to the hot weather here, there seems to be less produce
>> > available than usual. Less variety and smaller displays. I guess that
>> > would figure though. We were told to expect this.

>> What's the theory behind that, Julie?
>>
>> Your baby high temps (70'sF - to rarely 90F) are nothing compared to
>> mine, Jill's, and others....yet we still find plenty of vegetable
>> variety available in all the grocery stores, vegetable stands, etc.
>>
>> Only in your area again?

> Her area is in a drought and it is warmer than ever. It's so dry in
> her area that there is a huge forest fire in Olympic National Park.
> http://www.washingtonpost.com/news/m...st-is-on-fire/
> She doesn't understand it, but her entire area is what's known as a
> temperate rain forest. She thinks she's not in it because
> urbanization has depleted the forest and now they have specific places
> labeled as "forest", however - the rainforest is in a drought and
> higher temperatures are indicative of it. I normally have horrible
> cold, foggy summers here. August can be 30 days of no sun with cold,
> blistering wind and the heat turned up in the house, but days are
> balmy and beautiful this year even if there is a high overcast that
> blocks the blue sky.
> http://www.theweathernetwork.com/new...w-in-bc/49326/

You're the one who doesn't understand it, SF. The Seattle are is not a
rainforest. Now I suppose it is possible that at some point in the long ago
past, it was considered a rainforest but I have never seen anything that
says that. I have proven to you time and again that we arae not in the
rainforest here.

> You're practically drowning in rain on the East coast, but the West
> Coast is in the midst of a multi-year drought (which doesn't stop at
> the Canadian boarder). I don't know if you've noticed - although
> you're getting rainfall, you're getting fewer hurricanes this year.
> http://www.cnn.com/2015/06/01/us/hur...-outlook-2015/
>
> Drought on the West Coast means less water, stressed plants (tomatoes
> are sold as "dry farmed") - great tasting vegetables, but less of them
> and more expensive. They're talking about a gargantuan El Nino this
> winter. Hopefully it dumps a lot of snow in the mountains to recharge
> our reservoirs quickly, but we'll need several years of significant
> rain to recharge our aquifers.

If it doesn't, we will be in serious trouble We get our water from Lake
Spada and there isn't much left of it.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Sat, 15 Aug 2015 09:01:51 +1000, Jeßus >
wrote:

>On Fri, 14 Aug 2015 14:12:12 -0400, Gary > wrote:
>
>>"Jeßus" wrote:
>>>
>>> Radishes also happen to be hands-down the easiest vegetable to grow
>>> yourself. If you like radishes, why not grow some?

>>I responded to her too soon. You said it all.

>I might put some radishes in this year, why not?
>Each time I grow them, I end up with way too many, even though I plant
>less seeds each time... oh well
>
>I have spent the past 6 days preparing my veggie garden. I pulled out
>all the stops this year in a bid to break down the clay I have here.
>Two large truckloads of sheep and cow poo, all of my poultry poo
>collected over the past 5 years, some old sawdust, bales of old
>sheep's fleece, large round bales of straw put through the
>chipper/mulcher, blood and bone, dynamic lifter and about 40 bags of
>lime... all mixed up and leveled out. Still need to mulch it, which I
>hope to do today.
>
>I plan to grow a lot of tomatoes this year, and make a huge batch of
>tomato sauce.

Add gypsum to your soil. It will change the nature of the clay. See
here for complete info. It's good stuff.
http://www.cmtmi.com/gypsum.asp
The amendments you are adding are excellent but they are needed in
addition to gypsum.
Janet US

Radish tops? Nancy Young[_6_] General Cooking 9 20-06-2012 01:52 AM
Radish Paratha cybotainment Recipes 0 11-03-2011 05:19 PM
Radish Salad International Recipes OnLine Recipes (moderated) 0 26-01-2007 02:08 PM
Radish greens Peter Aitken General Cooking 0 19-09-2005 01:02 PM
Radish greens Peter Aitken General Cooking 5 16-09-2005 10:54 PM