Posted to rec.food.cooking

Default Insulated kitchen sink basin

From time to time I plug up one basin of my SS sink to soak a pot in. But
the water may have chilled before the crust is loosened.

Has anyone seen or heard of insulating a sink basin, to keep the water
warmer longer?
Posted to rec.food.cooking

> wrote in message
> From time to time I plug up one basin of my SS sink to soak a pot in. But
> the water may have chilled before the crust is loosened.
>
> Has anyone seen or heard of insulating a sink basin, to keep the water
> warmer longer?

Maybe I am missing something. Is there a reason why cold water couldn't or
shouldn't be used to soak a pot? I ask this because I rarely have the need
to soak anything. If I do have something that has stuck onto the pot, I
just throw some baking soda over the stuck part, add a little water and
bring to a boil. Let cool and the stuck on stuff comes right off.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On 16/07/2015 6:18 PM, Julie Bove wrote:

> > wrote in message
>> From time to time I plug up one basin of my SS sink to soak a pot in. But
>> the water may have chilled before the crust is loosened.
>>
>> Has anyone seen or heard of insulating a sink basin, to keep the water
>> warmer longer?

> Maybe I am missing something. Is there a reason why cold water couldn't
> or shouldn't be used to soak a pot? I ask this because I rarely have
> the need to soak anything. If I do have something that has stuck onto
> the pot, I just throw some baking soda over the stuck part, add a little
> water and bring to a boil. Let cool and the stuck on stuff comes right
> off.

Hot water works more quickly.

--

Xeno
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Thu, 16 Jul 2015 22:39:31 +1000, Xeno >
wrote:

>On 16/07/2015 6:18 PM, Julie Bove wrote:
>>
>> > wrote in message
>>> From time to time I plug up one basin of my SS sink to soak a pot in. But
>>> the water may have chilled before the crust is loosened.
>>>
>>> Has anyone seen or heard of insulating a sink basin, to keep the water
>>> warmer longer?

>> Maybe I am missing something. Is there a reason why cold water couldn't
>> or shouldn't be used to soak a pot? I ask this because I rarely have
>> the need to soak anything. If I do have something that has stuck onto
>> the pot, I just throw some baking soda over the stuck part, add a little
>> water and bring to a boil. Let cool and the stuck on stuff comes right
>> off.

>Hot water works more quickly.

Yep, and baking soida is an base or an alkalai, the basis for soaps.
Hot baking soda water would work very well!! Hot sodium hydroxide
water even better! Wear gloves!! ;-)

John Kuthe...
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Wednesday, July 15, 2015 at 11:10:58 PM UTC-4, wrote:
> From time to time I plug up one basin of my SS sink to soak a pot in.

Do you often need to soak the exterior of a pot?
I generally only need to soak the interior, and
the pot forms its own basin.

Cindy Hamilton

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On 16/07/2015 11:36 PM, John Kuthe wrote:
> On Thu, 16 Jul 2015 22:39:31 +1000, Xeno >
> wrote:

>>> Maybe I am missing something. Is there a reason why cold water couldn't
>>> or shouldn't be used to soak a pot? I ask this because I rarely have
>>> the need to soak anything. If I do have something that has stuck onto
>>> the pot, I just throw some baking soda over the stuck part, add a little
>>> water and bring to a boil. Let cool and the stuck on stuff comes right
>>> off.

>> Hot water works more quickly.

> Yep, and baking soida is an base or an alkalai, the basis for soaps.
> Hot baking soda water would work very well!! Hot sodium hydroxide
> water even better! Wear gloves!! ;-)
>
> John Kuthe...

Well, I was thinking of just plain old H2O. That's what I use.

--

Xeno
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Thu, 16 Jul 2015 01:18:24 -0700, "Julie Bove"
> wrote:

> wrote in message
>> From time to time I plug up one basin of my SS sink to soak a pot in. But
>> the water may have chilled before the crust is loosened.
>>
>> Has anyone seen or heard of insulating a sink basin, to keep the water
>> warmer longer?

>Maybe I am missing something. Is there a reason why cold water couldn't or
>shouldn't be used to soak a pot? I ask this because I rarely have the need
>to soak anything. If I do have something that has stuck onto the pot, I
>just throw some baking soda over the stuck part, add a little water and
>bring to a boil. Let cool and the stuck on stuff comes right off.

You're not missing anything... Julie is more intelligent than all the
others in this thread put together, they're all MISSING an IQ... WTF
fill an entire sink to soak the INSIDE of a pot?!?!? Super DUH!

Heat rises, most of the heat loss from a vessel full of water is at
the surface... cover the top of the sink to conserve heat same as
placing a lid on a pot. My SS sink exterior is coated with sound
deadening material, but that's only to deaden the sound of clanking in
a metal sink, does pitifully little to prevent heat loss. I never
fill the entire sink to soak stuff (what a waste of hot water), for a
couple of dollars buy a plastic dishpan, the plastic insulates
naturally and the pan is small enough that it doesn't waste water and
if wanted one can easily slap on a lid of sorts; a plastic carving
board works... I have several sizes of plastic vessels for soaking
stuff, right up to five gallon buckets. Although it's a lot simpler
to place the soaking pot on the stove top and if one wants keep the
water hot with the burner on minimum heat, but soaking with room
temperature water over night does the job. Plain water usually works
(water is the universal solvent) but adding a capful of dishwashing
liquid helps cut through crusted cooking schmutz a bit quicker.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Thu, 16 Jul 2015 23:54:26 +1000, Xeno >
wrote:

>On 16/07/2015 11:36 PM, John Kuthe wrote:
>> On Thu, 16 Jul 2015 22:39:31 +1000, Xeno >
>> wrote:

>>> Hot water works more quickly.

>> Yep, and baking soida is an base or an alkalai, the basis for soaps.
>> Hot baking soda water would work very well!! Hot sodium hydroxide
>> water even better! Wear gloves!! ;-)
>>
>> John Kuthe...
>>

>Well, I was thinking of just plain old H2O. That's what I use.

Me too, maybe a little dish detergent. Then a scrubbee and some elbow
grease!

John Kuthe...
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Thu, 16 Jul 2015 06:40:29 -0700 (PDT), Cindy Hamilton
> wrote:

>On Wednesday, July 15, 2015 at 11:10:58 PM UTC-4, wrote:
>> From time to time I plug up one basin of my SS sink to soak a pot in.

>Do you often need to soak the exterior of a pot?
>I generally only need to soak the interior, and
>the pot forms its own basin.
>
>Cindy Hamilton

The exterior dirt gets very cooked on, especially with a gas stove.

John Kuthe...
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Thursday, July 16, 2015 at 10:28:07 AM UTC-4, John Kuthe wrote:
> On Thu, 16 Jul 2015 06:40:29 -0700 (PDT), Cindy Hamilton
> > wrote:
>
> >On Wednesday, July 15, 2015 at 11:10:58 PM UTC-4, wrote:
> >> From time to time I plug up one basin of my SS sink to soak a pot in.

> >Do you often need to soak the exterior of a pot?
> >I generally only need to soak the interior, and
> >the pot forms its own basin.
> >
> >Cindy Hamilton

> The exterior dirt gets very cooked on, especially with a gas stove.

I have a gas stove, and the exteriors of my pans do
not get very dirty. Then again, I don't fry, to
any great extent. I very occasionally have to scrub
the exterior with Bon Ami or something. The dishwasher
is usually sufficient.

Cindy Hamilton

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On 17/07/2015 12:26 AM, John Kuthe wrote:
> On Thu, 16 Jul 2015 23:54:26 +1000, Xeno >
> wrote:
>
>> On 16/07/2015 11:36 PM, John Kuthe wrote:

>>> Yep, and baking soida is an base or an alkalai, the basis for soaps.
>>> Hot baking soda water would work very well!! Hot sodium hydroxide
>>> water even better! Wear gloves!! ;-)
>>>
>>> John Kuthe...
>>>

>> Well, I was thinking of just plain old H2O. That's what I use.

> Me too, maybe a little dish detergent. Then a scrubbee and some elbow
> grease!
>
> John Kuthe...

We have a stainless steel frypan and I have been known to put some water
in it, add a dash of detergent to it, then place it on a hotplate to
simmer a while. That really loosens stuck particles. I find a little
stainless steel cleaner (powder form) brings the pan back to its as new
sheen.

--

Xeno
Posted to rec.food.cooking

wrote:

>On 16/07/2015 6:18 PM, Julie Bove wrote:
>>
>> > wrote in message
>>> From time to time I plug up one basin of my SS sink to soak a pot in. But
>>> the water may have chilled before the crust is loosened.
>>>
>>> Has anyone seen or heard of insulating a sink basin, to keep the water
>>> warmer longer?

>> Maybe I am missing something. Is there a reason why cold water couldn't
>> or shouldn't be used to soak a pot? I ask this because I rarely have
>> the need to soak anything. If I do have something that has stuck onto
>> the pot, I just throw some baking soda over the stuck part, add a little
>> water and bring to a boil. Let cool and the stuck on stuff comes right
>> off.

>Hot water works more quickly.

Works more quickly like how Anacin works twice as fast as Bayer....
Bayer takes ten minutes, Anacin takes 20 minutes. Soaking a pot at
the start of dinner with cold water the schmutz is loose by the time
dinner is eaten... same with hot water only the hot water will then be
cold water... results are equal.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Thu, 16 Jul 2015 09:28:06 -0500, John Kuthe >
wrote:

>On Thu, 16 Jul 2015 06:40:29 -0700 (PDT), Cindy Hamilton
> wrote:
>
>>On Wednesday, July 15, 2015 at 11:10:58 PM UTC-4, wrote:
>>> From time to time I plug up one basin of my SS sink to soak a pot in.

>>Do you often need to soak the exterior of a pot?
>>I generally only need to soak the interior, and
>>the pot forms its own basin.
>>
>>Cindy Hamilton

>The exterior dirt gets very cooked on, especially with a gas stove.
>
>John Kuthe...

Only for people who don't know how to cook and really shouldn't be
allowed in kitchens.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

"Xeno" > wrote in message
> On 17/07/2015 12:26 AM, John Kuthe wrote:
>> On Thu, 16 Jul 2015 23:54:26 +1000, Xeno >
>> wrote:

>>> Well, I was thinking of just plain old H2O. That's what I use.

>> Me too, maybe a little dish detergent. Then a scrubbee and some elbow
>> grease!
>>
>> John Kuthe...
>>

> We have a stainless steel frypan and I have been known to put some water
> in it, add a dash of detergent to it, then place it on a hotplate to
> simmer a while. That really loosens stuck particles. I find a little
> stainless steel cleaner (powder form) brings the pan back to its as new
> sheen.

That all works for me.

--
http://www.helpforheroes.org.uk/shop/

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On 7/15/2015 11:16 PM, Xeno wrote:
> It would be worth noting that you would need to remove the sink and
> invert it to do the spraying.
>
> --

Incorrect.

Automotive undercoating spray requires no such procedure.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Thursday, July 16, 2015 at 6:40:33 AM UTC-7, Cindy Hamilton wrote:
> On Wednesday, July 15, 2015 at 11:10:58 PM UTC-4, wrote:
> > From time to time I plug up one basin of my SS sink to soak a pot in.

> Do you often need to soak the exterior of a pot?
> I generally only need to soak the interior, and
> the pot forms its own basin.

Then the question becomes "How can I insulate the outside
of a SS pot, to keep the water inside warmer longer?"

And my question also applies to frying pans, whose handle makes
them sit in the sink basin at an angle. I could soak these
overnight on the top of the stove, but then transferring them
to the sink is unwieldy.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Thu, 16 Jul 2015 07:36:08 -0700 (PDT), Cindy Hamilton
> wrote:

> On Thursday, July 16, 2015 at 10:28:07 AM UTC-4, John Kuthe wrote:
> > On Thu, 16 Jul 2015 06:40:29 -0700 (PDT), Cindy Hamilton
> > > wrote:

> > >Do you often need to soak the exterior of a pot?
> > >I generally only need to soak the interior, and
> > >the pot forms its own basin.
> > >
> > >Cindy Hamilton

> > The exterior dirt gets very cooked on, especially with a gas stove.

> I have a gas stove, and the exteriors of my pans do
> not get very dirty. Then again, I don't fry, to
> any great extent. I very occasionally have to scrub
> the exterior with Bon Ami or something. The dishwasher
> is usually sufficient.

I never put pots, pans, casserole dishes in the dishwasher but cast
iron is the one I've noticed with any build up and that took decades.
All stainless steel needs to remove any marks that soap can't remove
is a paste of baking soda.

--

sf
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Thursday, July 16, 2015 at 2:36:28 PM UTC-4, sf wrote:

> I never put pots, pans, casserole dishes in the dishwasher but cast
> iron is the one I've noticed with any build up and that took decades.
> All stainless steel needs to remove any marks that soap can't remove
> is a paste of baking soda.

Only my sharp knives and anything too large to fit in the dishwasher
get hand-washed. I've got some cast iron, but I rarely use it for
that reason. I should try some baking soda on my teakettle, which has
some minor buildup from my husband failing to remove it from the stove
when he cooks. Thanks for the tip.

Cindy Hamilton
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On 7/16/2015 8:39 AM, Xeno wrote:

>> Maybe I am missing something. Is there a reason why cold water couldn't
>> or shouldn't be used to soak a pot? I ask this because I rarely have
>> the need to soak anything. If I do have something that has stuck onto
>> the pot, I just throw some baking soda over the stuck part, add a little
>> water and bring to a boil. Let cool and the stuck on stuff comes right
>> off.

> Hot water works more quickly.

Even better with a surfactant like detergent.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Thursday, July 16, 2015 at 8:40:33 AM UTC-5, Cindy Hamilton wrote:

> I generally only need to soak the interior, and
> the pot forms its own basin.
>
> Cindy Hamilton

That's what I do too. Hot water and a squirt
of dishwashing liquid and generally let the
pot sit overnight. The stuck on mess just
needs a bit of time to loosen.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Thu, 16 Jul 2015 16:53:16 +0100, Janet > wrote:

>In article >,
says...

>> On Thu, 16 Jul 2015 06:40:29 -0700 (PDT), Cindy Hamilton
>> > wrote:

>> >Do you often need to soak the exterior of a pot?
>> >I generally only need to soak the interior, and
>> >the pot forms its own basin.
>> >
>> >Cindy Hamilton

>> The exterior dirt gets very cooked on, especially with a gas stove.
>>
>> John Kuthe...

> What "exterior dirt"? !!!!
>
> Janet UK

He's using that non-food safe gas. I've been cooking with gas some
seventy years and have never yet needed to soak any pot's exterior, in
fact it's very rare I need to soak any pot's interior. Occasionally I
need to fill a fry pan with plain water and a few drops of dish
washing liquid, by the time dinner is done it cleans up easily. I
don't use ordinary sponges, I do all my dish/pot washing with a Dobie.
http://www.scotch-brite.com/wps/port...e-All-Purpose/

Posted to rec.food.cooking

Acme Bully Control > wrote:
> On 7/15/2015 11:16 PM, Xeno wrote:
>> It would be worth noting that you would need to remove the sink and
>> invert it to do the spraying.
>>
>> --

> Incorrect.
>
> Automotive undercoating spray requires no such procedure.

For one, I wasn't referring to automotive undercoating spray.
Secondly, not all under basin areas are easily accessible, especially at
the rear.
Removal and inversion makes the process easy and more effective.

--
Xeno

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On 7/16/2015 5:15 PM, Xeno wrote:
> Acme Bully Control > wrote:
>> On 7/15/2015 11:16 PM, Xeno wrote:
>>> It would be worth noting that you would need to remove the sink and
>>> invert it to do the spraying.
>>>
>>> --

>> Incorrect.
>>
>> Automotive undercoating spray requires no such procedure.

> For one, I wasn't referring to automotive undercoating spray.

True, I however was.

> Secondly, not all under basin areas are easily accessible, especially at
> the rear.

Agreed.

> Removal and inversion makes the process easy and more effective.

No argument there.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On 7/17/2015 9:25 AM, Acme Bully Control wrote:
> On 7/16/2015 5:15 PM, Xeno wrote:
>> Acme Bully Control > wrote:

>>> Incorrect.
>>>
>>> Automotive undercoating spray requires no such procedure.

>> For one, I wasn't referring to automotive undercoating spray.

> True, I however was.
>
>> Secondly, not all under basin areas are easily accessible, especially at
>> the rear.

> Agreed.
>
>> Removal and inversion makes the process easy and more effective.

> What bullshit.

Barbara Llorente FRAUD!

No one cares about you.

Get OUT!

_,..._
/__ \
>< `. \

/_ \ |
\-_ /:|
,--'..'. :
,' `.
_,' \
_.._,--'' , |
, ,',, _| _,.'| | |
\\||/,'(,' '--'' | | |
_ ||| | /-' |
| | (- -)<`._ | / /
| | \_\O/_/`-.(<< |____/ /
| | / \ / -'| `--.'|
| | \___/ / /
| | H H / | |
|_|_..-H-H--.._ / ,| |
|-.._"_"__..-| | _-/ | |
| | | | \_ |
Barbara Llorente | | | | |
| The | |____| | |
|Troll Enabler | _..' | |____|
jrei | |_(____..._' _.' |
`-..______..-'"" (___..--'
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Thu, 16 Jul 2015 11:54:57 -0700 (PDT), Cindy Hamilton
> wrote:

> On Thursday, July 16, 2015 at 2:36:28 PM UTC-4, sf wrote:
>
> > I never put pots, pans, casserole dishes in the dishwasher but cast
> > iron is the one I've noticed with any build up and that took decades.
> > All stainless steel needs to remove any marks that soap can't remove
> > is a paste of baking soda.

> Only my sharp knives and anything too large to fit in the dishwasher
> get hand-washed. I've got some cast iron, but I rarely use it for
> that reason. I should try some baking soda on my teakettle, which has
> some minor buildup from my husband failing to remove it from the stove
> when he cooks. Thanks for the tip.

Apply it and let it dry (I usually apply it when I'm doing the dinner
dishes so I let it sit overnight and remove it in the morning with a
the scrubbie side of a damp sponge, but just a couple of hours
works... as long as it dries. Haven't bothered to see how it works in
various stages of drying mainly because the way I do it works for me.

--

sf
Posted to rec.food.cooking

> wrote:
> From time to time I plug up one basin of my SS sink to soak a pot in. But
> the water may have chilled before the crust is loosened.
>
> Has anyone seen or heard of insulating a sink basin, to keep the water
> warmer longer?

Most of the heat loss is going to be evaporation.

Greg
Posted to rec.food.cooking

Acme Bully Control > wrote:
> On 7/15/2015 11:16 PM, Xeno wrote:
>> It would be worth noting that you would need to remove the sink and
>> invert it to do the spraying.
>>
>> --

> Incorrect.
>
> Automotive undercoating spray requires no such procedure.

Just let the drips and overspray go anywhere. And spray foam, what a mess.

Greg