Posted to rec.food.cooking

Default Why canned food is not as good as fresh

Stuff that's added to the can: salt, sugar, preservatives, antioxidants,
oil and there is some concern about chemicals from the can lining itself
(BPA for instance).

The canning process: sterilisation requires heating to above boiling
point under high pressure. That's why canned fruit and vegetables are
cooked almost to mush. That's why they have less nutritional value.

The produce itself: farming to produce a great quantity of identical,
bland, faultless, regular sized items is not the same as farming for
quality produce. It actually requires many of the worst farming
practices in terms of chemical use and seed quality.

Taste and texture. Should be self-evident.

Obviously not all cans are the same. Not all of them have sugar in and
some contain organic produce, so this is all generalisation. Obviously
eating second rate food isn't going to kill you. Obviously you can't get
exotic fruits fresh, local, and year-round anywhere. You will see no
sources cited here. google it yourself if you want to know.

Tim W
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Saturday, May 16, 2015 at 5:49:02 AM UTC-4, Tim w wrote:
> Stuff that's added to the can: salt, sugar, preservatives, antioxidants,
> oil and there is some concern about chemicals from the can lining itself
> (BPA for instance).
>
> The canning process: sterilisation requires heating to above boiling
> point under high pressure. That's why canned fruit and vegetables are
> cooked almost to mush. That's why they have less nutritional value.

A lot of people cook their fresh produce to mush. I don't see
a difference.

> The produce itself: farming to produce a great quantity of identical,
> bland, faultless, regular sized items is not the same as farming for
> quality produce. It actually requires many of the worst farming
> practices in terms of chemical use and seed quality.
>
> Taste and texture. Should be self-evident.
>
> Obviously not all cans are the same. Not all of them have sugar in and
> some contain organic produce, so this is all generalisation. Obviously
> eating second rate food isn't going to kill you. Obviously you can't get
> exotic fruits fresh, local, and year-round anywhere. You will see no
> sources cited here. google it yourself if you want to know.
>
> Tim W

So, what am I supposed to do the other 9 months of the year when
fresh produce is shipped in from 3000 (or more) miles away?

Not that I eat much canned stuff, anyway. Tomatoes, white beans.

Cindy Hamilton
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Sat, 16 May 2015 03:27:36 -0700 (PDT), Cindy Hamilton
> wrote:

>On Saturday, May 16, 2015 at 5:49:02 AM UTC-4, Tim w wrote:
>> Stuff that's added to the can: salt, sugar, preservatives, antioxidants,
>> oil and there is some concern about chemicals from the can lining itself
>> (BPA for instance).
>>
>> The canning process: sterilisation requires heating to above boiling
>> point under high pressure. That's why canned fruit and vegetables are
>> cooked almost to mush. That's why they have less nutritional value.

>A lot of people cook their fresh produce to mush. I don't see
>a difference.

If you cook it to mush yourself, you are still not adding other
ingredients or have any chemicals from the can liner. Fewer people
are cooking to mush since the invention of the microwave.

>> Obviously not all cans are the same. Not all of them have sugar in and
>> some contain organic produce, so this is all generalisation. Obviously
>> eating second rate food isn't going to kill you. Obviously you can't get
>> exotic fruits fresh, local, and year-round anywhere. You will see no
>> sources cited here. google it yourself if you want to know.
>>
>> Tim W

>So, what am I supposed to do the other 9 months of the year when
>fresh produce is shipped in from 3000 (or more) miles away?
>
>Not that I eat much canned stuff, anyway. Tomatoes, white beans.

Tomatoes are not affected as much as some other veggies. Use frozen.
I did a little reading and frozen are better than canned, but not as
good as local fresh. Shipping even fresh a long distance there can be
losses over time.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Sat, 16 May 2015 08:13:53 -0400, Ed Pawlowski > wrote:

>On Sat, 16 May 2015 03:27:36 -0700 (PDT), Cindy Hamilton
> wrote:
>
>>On Saturday, May 16, 2015 at 5:49:02 AM UTC-4, Tim w wrote:
>>> Stuff that's added to the can: salt, sugar, preservatives, antioxidants,
>>> oil and there is some concern about chemicals from the can lining itself
>>> (BPA for instance).
>>>
>>> The canning process: sterilisation requires heating to above boiling
>>> point under high pressure. That's why canned fruit and vegetables are
>>> cooked almost to mush. That's why they have less nutritional value.

>>A lot of people cook their fresh produce to mush. I don't see
>>a difference.

>If you cook it to mush yourself, you are still not adding other
>ingredients or have any chemicals from the can liner. Fewer people
>are cooking to mush since the invention of the microwave.

Yep! I obtaibned a new very powerful microwave oven in my new place,
and it took me a while to get it correctly "dialed in" to nuke things
just to my preference. Had to discover the "power level" setting
paradigm of it because it was not ituitive! So I printed out the
manual page describing how to use it and taped it uo mext to the
microwave for others to use and learn.

John Kuthe...
Posted to rec.food.cooking

Ed Pawlowski wrote:

> Tomatoes are not affected as much as some other veggies. Use frozen.
> I did a little reading and frozen are better than canned, but not as
> good as local fresh.

Totally agree. Canned tomatoes are not near as good as frozen and
certainly neither are as good as fresh.

I buy fresh in season. I also buy "day old" fresh in season to freeze
for the winter. Canned tomatoes are way down the line for when you
get desperate. Even the hothouse tomatoes are better than canned, imo.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Saturday, May 16, 2015 at 6:37:51 AM UTC-6, John Kuthe wrote:
> On Sat, 16 May 2015 08:13:53 -0400, Ed Pawlowski > wrote:
>
> >On Sat, 16 May 2015 03:27:36 -0700 (PDT), Cindy Hamilton
> > wrote:

> >>A lot of people cook their fresh produce to mush. I don't see
> >>a difference.

> >If you cook it to mush yourself, you are still not adding other
> >ingredients or have any chemicals from the can liner. Fewer people
> >are cooking to mush since the invention of the microwave.

> Yep! I obtaibned a new very powerful microwave oven in my new place,
> and it took me a while to get it correctly "dialed in" to nuke things
> just to my preference. Had to discover the "power level" setting
> paradigm of it because it was not ituitive! So I printed out the
> manual page describing how to use it and taped it uo mext to the
> microwave for others to use and learn.
>
> John Kuthe...

Youse is a good boy Denny.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Saturday, May 16, 2015 at 11:24:15 AM UTC-4, Gary wrote:
> Ed Pawlowski wrote:
> >
> > Tomatoes are not affected as much as some other veggies. Use frozen.
> > I did a little reading and frozen are better than canned, but not as
> > good as local fresh.

> Totally agree. Canned tomatoes are not near as good as frozen and
> certainly neither are as good as fresh.
>
> I buy fresh in season. I also buy "day old" fresh in season to freeze
> for the winter. Canned tomatoes are way down the line for when you
> get desperate. Even the hothouse tomatoes are better than canned, imo.

Do you think we're putting canned tomatoes on salads? Canned tomatoes
are for soup or ragu or somesuch. I'd never use fresh tomatoes for
those uses, even when tomatoes are in season.

Cindy Hamilton
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Saturday, May 16, 2015 at 2:49:02 AM UTC-7, Tim w wrote:
> Stuff that's added to the can: salt, sugar, preservatives, antioxidants,
> oil and there is some concern about chemicals from the can lining itself
> (BPA for instance).
>
> The canning process: sterilisation requires heating to above boiling
> point under high pressure. That's why canned fruit and vegetables are
> cooked almost to mush. That's why they have less nutritional value.
>
> The produce itself: farming to produce a great quantity of identical,
> bland, faultless, regular sized items is not the same as farming for
> quality produce. It actually requires many of the worst farming
> practices in terms of chemical use and seed quality.
>
> Taste and texture. Should be self-evident.
>
> Obviously not all cans are the same. Not all of them have sugar in and
> some contain organic produce, so this is all generalisation. Obviously
> eating second rate food isn't going to kill you. Obviously you can't get
> exotic fruits fresh, local, and year-round anywhere. You will see no
> sources cited here. google it yourself if you want to know.
>
> Tim W

You just found this out?
Posted to rec.food.cooking

Cindy Hamilton wrote:

> Do you think we're putting canned tomatoes on salads?

not a good idea

> Canned tomatoes are for soup or ragu or somesuch.

Agree, but "purchased fresh, then frozen" are better than canned.

> I'd never use fresh tomatoes for
> those uses, even when tomatoes are in season.

You would never use fresh tomatoes for any use, even when tomatoes are
in season?

Did you really mean to say that, or did you say it wrong?
Inconceivable. Whenever fresh tomatoes are available, I use them for
ALL uses.. Then I buy much more and freeze them for winter use.

G.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On 5/16/2015 10:52 AM, Sqwertz wrote:
> Where the hell are you folks buying frozen tomatoes?

Why are you still posting here, woman-stalker?

Why did you stalk poor Omelet off this medium, misogynist?

>> Omelet wrote:

>> He hates me 'cause I never slept with him...

> He hates himself because he is all he has to sleep with
> I don't know, sometimes he used to seem normal, then he went petty
> trough vindictive and now I just shun contact. I have enough crazies to
> deal with in my world without encouraging those who refuse to take their
> meds.

For the record, I never once even considered sleeping with you. And
you know that. You're the one who somehow got the idea that I was
going to move in with you - and you posted that to RFC just out of the
total blue.

After having met you twice at casual austin.food gatherings 2 or 3
years ago and not giving you any indication that there was any sort of
romantic interest in the least, you somehow twisted that into MY
MOVING IN WITH YOU?

That was just way too Psycho for me. I sat there at stared at the
screen for at least 15 minutes wondering, WTF? That was just way too
spooky. I've met weird, semi-psycho women before but you win, hands
down. Mapi of austin.general still holds the male title, but at least
he announced his psychosis right there lying on the floor of the bar
at B.D. Reilly's rather than romantically obsessing over me for 2
years.

Needless to say, you need to come to terms with what happened and why
your mind works that way and stop making up excuses for your fixation
and disappointment before we become the next Yoli and Michael. I'd
prefer you use a sniper rifle on me from a few hundred yards away.
There you go - a reason for you to buy yet another gun and ammo.

And Jeremy, I was just tired of your decade of bullshit and visions of
grandeur about all these things you're "working on" or have not done
in the past. Even posting a call for meetings with imaginary people
about imaginary projects of yours at "the normal time and place", as
if you are somebody important with a life. I'm pretty sure you're
manic depressive mixed with habitual liar.

Sorry I don't fit either of your Ideal Psycho Pal Profiles.

-sw

Posted to rec.food.cooking

Sqwertz wrote:

> On Sat, 16 May 2015 11:24:39 -0400, Gary wrote:
>
> > Ed Pawlowski wrote:
> >>
> >> Tomatoes are not affected as much as some other veggies. Use frozen.
> >> I did a little reading and frozen are better than canned, but not as
> >> good as local fresh.

> > Totally agree. Canned tomatoes are not near as good as frozen and
> > certainly neither are as good as fresh.

> Where the hell are you folks buying frozen tomatoes?

I've never seen them sold anywhere. I make my own frozen each early
summer when I can buy the fresh grown good kind. You don't even have
to blanch them or anything...just chop up and freeze.

In the early summer here at the vegetable stands, you can buy the
prime (picked this morning tomatoes) or you can buy the leftovers
(picked yesterday or the day before) at almost half price. I usually
go for those.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On 5/16/2015 3:49 AM, Tim w wrote:
> Stuff that's added to the can: salt, sugar, preservatives, antioxidants,
> oil and there is some concern about chemicals from the can lining itself
> (BPA for instance).
>
> The canning process: sterilisation requires heating to above boiling
> point under high pressure. That's why canned fruit and vegetables are
> cooked almost to mush. That's why they have less nutritional value.
>
> The produce itself: farming to produce a great quantity of identical,
> bland, faultless, regular sized items is not the same as farming for
> quality produce. It actually requires many of the worst farming
> practices in terms of chemical use and seed quality.
>
> Taste and texture. Should be self-evident.
>
> Obviously not all cans are the same. Not all of them have sugar in and
> some contain organic produce, so this is all generalisation. Obviously
> eating second rate food isn't going to kill you. Obviously you can't get
> exotic fruits fresh, local, and year-round anywhere. You will see no
> sources cited here. google it yourself if you want to know.
>
> Tim W

Obviously people can make choices depending on the TIME they have to
allocate to a specific endeavor.

Ain't it magic - imagine having someone do a bunch of work for you, can
it and then sell it.

Wotta society, no?
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Friday, May 15, 2015 at 11:49:02 PM UTC-10, Tim w wrote:
> Stuff that's added to the can: salt, sugar, preservatives, antioxidants,
> oil and there is some concern about chemicals from the can lining itself
> (BPA for instance).
>
> The canning process: sterilisation requires heating to above boiling
> point under high pressure. That's why canned fruit and vegetables are
> cooked almost to mush. That's why they have less nutritional value.
>
> The produce itself: farming to produce a great quantity of identical,
> bland, faultless, regular sized items is not the same as farming for
> quality produce. It actually requires many of the worst farming
> practices in terms of chemical use and seed quality.
>
> Taste and texture. Should be self-evident.
>
> Obviously not all cans are the same. Not all of them have sugar in and
> some contain organic produce, so this is all generalisation. Obviously
> eating second rate food isn't going to kill you. Obviously you can't get
> exotic fruits fresh, local, and year-round anywhere. You will see no
> sources cited here. google it yourself if you want to know.
>
> Tim W

"Canned food is a perversion, I suspect that it is ultimately very damaging to the soul."

ignatius j reilly
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On 5/16/2015 11:54 AM, dsi1 wrote:
> On Friday, May 15, 2015 at 11:49:02 PM UTC-10, Tim w wrote:
>> Stuff that's added to the can: salt, sugar, preservatives, antioxidants,
>> oil and there is some concern about chemicals from the can lining itself
>> (BPA for instance).
>>
>> The canning process: sterilisation requires heating to above boiling
>> point under high pressure. That's why canned fruit and vegetables are
>> cooked almost to mush. That's why they have less nutritional value.
>>
>> The produce itself: farming to produce a great quantity of identical,
>> bland, faultless, regular sized items is not the same as farming for
>> quality produce. It actually requires many of the worst farming
>> practices in terms of chemical use and seed quality.
>>
>> Taste and texture. Should be self-evident.
>>
>> Obviously not all cans are the same. Not all of them have sugar in and
>> some contain organic produce, so this is all generalisation. Obviously
>> eating second rate food isn't going to kill you. Obviously you can't get
>> exotic fruits fresh, local, and year-round anywhere. You will see no
>> sources cited here. google it yourself if you want to know.
>>
>> Tim W

> "Canned food is a perversion, I suspect that it is ultimately very damaging to the soul."
>
> ignatius j reilly

Wither microwave entrees...
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Saturday, May 16, 2015 at 10:07:59 AM UTC-7, Gary wrote:
> Cindy Hamilton wrote:
> >
> > Do you think we're putting canned tomatoes on salads?

> not a good idea
>
> > Canned tomatoes are for soup or ragu or somesuch.

> Agree, but "purchased fresh, then frozen" are better than canned.
>

> > I'd never use fresh tomatoes for
> > those uses, even when tomatoes are in season.

> You would never use fresh tomatoes for any use, even when tomatoes are
> in season?
>
> Did you really mean to say that, or did you say it wrong?
> Inconceivable. Whenever fresh tomatoes are available, I use them for
> ALL uses.. Then I buy much more and freeze them for winter use.
>
> G.

I do the same, freeze them for winter use that is. I also make tomato sauce and freeze it, so versatile later on in the year.

I know canned are good for you as well so I use a combination of the two.

Nellie

Posted to rec.food.cooking

Gary wrote:
>Ed Pawlowski wrote:
>>
>> Tomatoes are not affected as much as some other veggies. Use frozen.
>> I did a little reading and frozen are better than canned, but not as
>> good as local fresh.

>Totally agree. Canned tomatoes are not near as good as frozen and
>certainly neither are as good as fresh.

I've never seen frozen tomatoes. I see nothing bad about canned
tomatoes, they are better in cooked dishes than fresh stupidmarket
tomatoes, even better than home growns.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

Chemo wrote:
>Tim w wrote:
>> Stuff that's added to the can: salt, sugar, preservatives, antioxidants,
>> oil and there is some concern about chemicals from the can lining itself
>> (BPA for instance).

There's nothing added from modern can linings.

>> The canning process: sterilisation requires heating to above boiling
>> point under high pressure.

That's not true. Canned tomatoes undergo a low heat vacuum process
that removes water same as used for frozen OJ... virtually no
nutrients are lost. ALL produce loses the majority of their nutritive
value sitting in storage for weeks after harvest, most produce at
stupidmarkets sold as fresh was harvested at least two weeks ago,
canned was processed within two hours of harvest, and no nutrients are
lost through the metal can... frozen produce loses much nutrients over
time in that plastic/paper package. Canned isn't always the best
texturally but unless you grow your own it's the best nutritively.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Saturday, May 16, 2015 at 1:07:59 PM UTC-4, Gary wrote:
> Cindy Hamilton wrote:
> >
> > Do you think we're putting canned tomatoes on salads?

> not a good idea
>
> > Canned tomatoes are for soup or ragu or somesuch.

> Agree, but "purchased fresh, then frozen" are better than canned.
>

> > I'd never use fresh tomatoes for
> > those uses, even when tomatoes are in season.

> You would never use fresh tomatoes for any use, even when tomatoes are
> in season?
>
> Did you really mean to say that, or did you say it wrong?
> Inconceivable. Whenever fresh tomatoes are available, I use them for
> ALL uses.. Then I buy much more and freeze them for winter use.
>
> G.

I would never use fresh tomatoes for a long-cooked sauce like ragu,
or cooked into a soup. I would use canned at any season for these
types of dishes.

Cindy Hamilton
Posted to rec.food.cooking

"Gary" > wrote in message ...
> Ed Pawlowski wrote:
>>
>> Tomatoes are not affected as much as some other veggies. Use frozen.
>> I did a little reading and frozen are better than canned, but not as
>> good as local fresh.

> Totally agree. Canned tomatoes are not near as good as frozen and
> certainly neither are as good as fresh.
>
> I buy fresh in season. I also buy "day old" fresh in season to freeze
> for the winter. Canned tomatoes are way down the line for when you
> get desperate. Even the hothouse tomatoes are better than canned, imo.

Do you make pasta sauce with fresh? I have done it but I usually use canned
or boxed.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

"Cindy Hamilton" > wrote in message
> On Saturday, May 16, 2015 at 11:24:15 AM UTC-4, Gary wrote:
>> Ed Pawlowski wrote:
>> >
>> > Tomatoes are not affected as much as some other veggies. Use frozen.
>> > I did a little reading and frozen are better than canned, but not as
>> > good as local fresh.

>> Totally agree. Canned tomatoes are not near as good as frozen and
>> certainly neither are as good as fresh.
>>
>> I buy fresh in season. I also buy "day old" fresh in season to freeze
>> for the winter. Canned tomatoes are way down the line for when you
>> get desperate. Even the hothouse tomatoes are better than canned, imo.

> Do you think we're putting canned tomatoes on salads? Canned tomatoes
> are for soup or ragu or somesuch. I'd never use fresh tomatoes for
> those uses, even when tomatoes are in season.
>
> Cindy Hamilton

Why not?

Posted to rec.food.cooking

"Cindy Hamilton" > wrote in message
> On Saturday, May 16, 2015 at 1:07:59 PM UTC-4, Gary wrote:
>> Cindy Hamilton wrote:
>> >
>> > Do you think we're putting canned tomatoes on salads?

>> not a good idea
>>
>> > Canned tomatoes are for soup or ragu or somesuch.

>> Agree, but "purchased fresh, then frozen" are better than canned.
>>

>> > I'd never use fresh tomatoes for
>> > those uses, even when tomatoes are in season.

>> You would never use fresh tomatoes for any use, even when tomatoes are
>> in season?
>>
>> Did you really mean to say that, or did you say it wrong?
>> Inconceivable. Whenever fresh tomatoes are available, I use them for
>> ALL uses.. Then I buy much more and freeze them for winter use.
>>
>> G.

> I would never use fresh tomatoes for a long-cooked sauce like ragu,
> or cooked into a soup. I would use canned at any season for these
> types of dishes.

I often use fresh for soup. Once in a while I make what I call "Clean out
the refrigerator soup". I go through whatever veggies are in there and many
of them go in it. I would not put in cucumbers or lettuce but some people
would. I will also add them to chili if I have one or two that I'd like to
get rid of. I would not usually go out and purchase such things
specifically to cook. But I will cook them if I have excess. One year I
grew them and had a bumper crop. Another time when we moved into military
housing, my neighbor was moving out and it was a requirement to take down
all gardens. So he gave me a heaping wheelbarrow full of them. I did turn
those into sauce and froze it.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Sunday, May 17, 2015 at 5:04:06 AM UTC-4, Julie Bove wrote:
> "Cindy Hamilton" > wrote in message

> >> Totally agree. Canned tomatoes are not near as good as frozen and
> >> certainly neither are as good as fresh.
> >>
> >> I buy fresh in season. I also buy "day old" fresh in season to freeze
> >> for the winter. Canned tomatoes are way down the line for when you
> >> get desperate. Even the hothouse tomatoes are better than canned, imo.

> > Do you think we're putting canned tomatoes on salads? Canned tomatoes
> > are for soup or ragu or somesuch. I'd never use fresh tomatoes for
> > those uses, even when tomatoes are in season.
> >
> > Cindy Hamilton

> Why not?

Canned is easier for exactly the same result. Why core, peel, and
chop when it's going to cook for four hours anyway?

Cindy Hamilton
Posted to rec.food.cooking

Julie Bove wrote:
> Do you make pasta sauce with fresh? I have done it but I usually use canned
> or boxed.

Boxed? :-o

I used to make spaghetti sauce from scratch and cook it all day
long...years ago. Then I learned that it was quicker (and just as
tasty) to start with prepared sauce then enhance it to my
specifications.

I now buy the cheap canned kind (and I can't think of the name) just
as a base. I make 7 quarts when I make this.

To the 2-3 cans of prepared, I'll add more canned tomato sauce and
maybe even some canned chopped tomatoes. Each can that I add, I also
add some dried spices&herbs. Then I fry up a pound or more of ground
beast with worchest.. and lots of onions and some garlic. Each batch
also gets a few Tbs of EVOO too.

This mix simmers for hours then...
This is when I'll add some chopped good tomatoes near the end. I want
them to be chunky in the sauce. Then it's all frozen into pint
containers. It's good stuff.

If the last chopped tomatoes are fresh new (garden) ones, the sauce
has a much better taste than using canned ones.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

Bruce wrote:

> Gary wrote:
>
> >I used to make spaghetti sauce from scratch and cook it all day
> >long...years ago. Then I learned that it was quicker (and just as
> >tasty) to start with prepared sauce then enhance it to my
> >specifications.

> Campbells soup?

LoL! ;-D
I like pretty much all food, scratch or processed, but no..it wasn't
that. hahaha

I think it's Hunts. Not good to go but a good base to make a good
sauce. I think it's the only prepared sauce that comes in a can. All
others are in jars.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Sun, 17 May 2015 04:56:27 -0700 (PDT), Cindy Hamilton
> wrote:

>On Sunday, May 17, 2015 at 5:04:06 AM UTC-4, Julie Bove wrote:

>> > Do you think we're putting canned tomatoes on salads? Canned tomatoes
>> > are for soup or ragu or somesuch. I'd never use fresh tomatoes for
>> > those uses, even when tomatoes are in season.
>> >
>> > Cindy Hamilton

>> Why not?

>Canned is easier for exactly the same result. Why core, peel, and
>chop when it's going to cook for four hours anyway?
>
>Cindy Hamilton

It's not possible to make anything approaching a decent sauce with
fresh tomatoes, they contain way too much liquid, by the time they're
reduced they become overly caramelized/burnt... ask how I know... I've
attemped it several times, it was silly simmering tomatoes all day and
night and ending up with something not even fit for the composter.
When tomato sauce is made commercially the process is very expensive,
the tomatoes go into huge silos that heat minimally and extract water
by vacuum, the same method used for frozen OJ. I grow a lot of
tomatoes but I don't use them for sauce, canned works far better
because most of the liquid has already been removed via the method I
described. Even home grown Romas need far too much cooking to remove
their excess liquid.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Sat, 16 May 2015 10:49:02 +0100, Tim w > wrote:

>Stuff that's added to the can: salt, sugar, preservatives, antioxidants,
>oil and there is some concern about chemicals from the can lining itself
>(BPA for instance).
>
>The canning process: sterilisation requires heating to above boiling
>point under high pressure. That's why canned fruit and vegetables are
>cooked almost to mush. That's why they have less nutritional value.
>
>The produce itself: farming to produce a great quantity of identical,
>bland, faultless, regular sized items is not the same as farming for
>quality produce. It actually requires many of the worst farming
>practices in terms of chemical use and seed quality.
>
>Taste and texture. Should be self-evident.
>
>Obviously not all cans are the same. Not all of them have sugar in and
>some contain organic produce, so this is all generalisation. Obviously
>eating second rate food isn't going to kill you. Obviously you can't get
>exotic fruits fresh, local, and year-round anywhere. You will see no
>sources cited here. google it yourself if you want to know.
>
>Tim W

Some stuff works reasonably well in cans - pork and bean type
products, canned salmon - no it's not fresh salmon but for some uses
it's great. I don't think I've ever had pork and beans made all
fresh, from fresh beans, made within the hour, etc.

Just like a lot of Chinese food really *is* better the next day, it
benefits in many ways from the time it takes the ingredients to
interact. Or wine that benefits from sitting in the bottle for a few
extra years.

Just saying that there's no problem in principle, for some canned
foods being quite OK.

J.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Sunday, May 17, 2015 at 7:59:24 AM UTC-10, JRStern wrote:
> On Sat, 16 May 2015 10:49:02 +0100, Tim w > wrote:
>
> >Stuff that's added to the can: salt, sugar, preservatives, antioxidants,
> >oil and there is some concern about chemicals from the can lining itself
> >(BPA for instance).
> >
> >The canning process: sterilisation requires heating to above boiling
> >point under high pressure. That's why canned fruit and vegetables are
> >cooked almost to mush. That's why they have less nutritional value.
> >
> >The produce itself: farming to produce a great quantity of identical,
> >bland, faultless, regular sized items is not the same as farming for
> >quality produce. It actually requires many of the worst farming
> >practices in terms of chemical use and seed quality.
> >
> >Taste and texture. Should be self-evident.
> >
> >Obviously not all cans are the same. Not all of them have sugar in and
> >some contain organic produce, so this is all generalisation. Obviously
> >eating second rate food isn't going to kill you. Obviously you can't get
> >exotic fruits fresh, local, and year-round anywhere. You will see no
> >sources cited here. google it yourself if you want to know.
> >
> >Tim W

> Some stuff works reasonably well in cans - pork and bean type
> products, canned salmon - no it's not fresh salmon but for some uses
> it's great. I don't think I've ever had pork and beans made all
> fresh, from fresh beans, made within the hour, etc.
>
> Just like a lot of Chinese food really *is* better the next day, it
> benefits in many ways from the time it takes the ingredients to
> interact. Or wine that benefits from sitting in the bottle for a few
> extra years.
>
> Just saying that there's no problem in principle, for some canned
> foods being quite OK.
>
> J.

In this part of the world, Chinese food just turns icky soon after it's served. I can't think of any that would be much good the next day. Stuffed bittermelon might be OK but that's the only dish I can think of at the moment.. Give me some time to think of others. :-)

I don't have any problem with canned foods. The reason it's fallen out of favor is because most everybody has refrigeration and access to fresh stuff. Take that away from people and canned foods will be a godsend. Canned foods are important during disasters and wars. It was originally designed to support military troops in the field and it still serves that purpose well, over 200 years later. Anybody that looks down on can foods have had too easy of a life. The reality is that canned foods have sustained life, not shortened it.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

"dsi1" > wrote in message
> On Sunday, May 17, 2015 at 7:59:24 AM UTC-10, JRStern wrote:
>> On Sat, 16 May 2015 10:49:02 +0100, Tim w > wrote:
>>
>> >Stuff that's added to the can: salt, sugar, preservatives, antioxidants,
>> >oil and there is some concern about chemicals from the can lining itself
>> >(BPA for instance).
>> >
>> >The canning process: sterilisation requires heating to above boiling
>> >point under high pressure. That's why canned fruit and vegetables are
>> >cooked almost to mush. That's why they have less nutritional value.
>> >
>> >The produce itself: farming to produce a great quantity of identical,
>> >bland, faultless, regular sized items is not the same as farming for
>> >quality produce. It actually requires many of the worst farming
>> >practices in terms of chemical use and seed quality.
>> >
>> >Taste and texture. Should be self-evident.
>> >
>> >Obviously not all cans are the same. Not all of them have sugar in and
>> >some contain organic produce, so this is all generalisation. Obviously
>> >eating second rate food isn't going to kill you. Obviously you can't get
>> >exotic fruits fresh, local, and year-round anywhere. You will see no
>> >sources cited here. google it yourself if you want to know.
>> >
>> >Tim W

>> Some stuff works reasonably well in cans - pork and bean type
>> products, canned salmon - no it's not fresh salmon but for some uses
>> it's great. I don't think I've ever had pork and beans made all
>> fresh, from fresh beans, made within the hour, etc.
>>
>> Just like a lot of Chinese food really *is* better the next day, it
>> benefits in many ways from the time it takes the ingredients to
>> interact. Or wine that benefits from sitting in the bottle for a few
>> extra years.
>>
>> Just saying that there's no problem in principle, for some canned
>> foods being quite OK.
>>
>> J.

> In this part of the world, Chinese food just turns icky soon after it's
> served. I can't think of any that would be much good the next day.
> Stuffed bittermelon might be OK but that's the only dish I can think of at
> the moment. Give me some time to think of others. :-)
>
> I don't have any problem with canned foods. The reason it's fallen out of
> favor is because most everybody has refrigeration and access to fresh
> stuff. Take that away from people and canned foods will be a godsend.
> Canned foods are important during disasters and wars. It was originally
> designed to support military troops in the field and it still serves that
> purpose well, over 200 years later. Anybody that looks down on can foods
> have had too easy of a life. The reality is that canned foods have
> sustained life, not shortened it.

Very well said. The only veg I prefer canned is sweet corn (ie corn off the
cob) but in lean times. who knows what we would be grateful for.

--
http://www.helpforheroes.org.uk/shop/

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On 5/17/2015 2:49 PM, Ophelia wrote:

> "dsi1" > wrote in message

>>> antioxidants,
>>> itself

>>> get

>>> Some stuff works reasonably well in cans - pork and bean type
>>> products, canned salmon - no it's not fresh salmon but for some uses
>>> it's great. I don't think I've ever had pork and beans made all
>>> fresh, from fresh beans, made within the hour, etc.
>>>
>>> Just like a lot of Chinese food really *is* better the next day, it
>>> benefits in many ways from the time it takes the ingredients to
>>> interact. Or wine that benefits from sitting in the bottle for a few
>>> extra years.
>>>
>>> Just saying that there's no problem in principle, for some canned
>>> foods being quite OK.
>>>
>>> J.

>> In this part of the world, Chinese food just turns icky soon after
>> it's served. I can't think of any that would be much good the next
>> day. Stuffed bittermelon might be OK but that's the only dish I can
>> think of at the moment. Give me some time to think of others. :-)
>>
>> I don't have any problem with canned foods. The reason it's fallen out
>> of favor is because most everybody has refrigeration and access to
>> fresh stuff. Take that away from people and canned foods will be a
>> godsend. Canned foods are important during disasters and wars. It was
>> originally designed to support military troops in the field and it
>> still serves that purpose well, over 200 years later. Anybody that
>> looks down on can foods have had too easy of a life. The reality is
>> that canned foods have sustained life, not shortened it.

> Very well said. The only veg I prefer canned is sweet corn (ie corn off
> the cob) but in lean times. who knows what we would be grateful for.

Spam of course!
Posted to rec.food.cooking

"Cabrito del Bosque" > wrote in message
> On 5/17/2015 2:49 PM, Ophelia wrote:

>>> In this part of the world, Chinese food just turns icky soon after
>>> it's served. I can't think of any that would be much good the next
>>> day. Stuffed bittermelon might be OK but that's the only dish I can
>>> think of at the moment. Give me some time to think of others. :-)
>>>
>>> I don't have any problem with canned foods. The reason it's fallen out
>>> of favor is because most everybody has refrigeration and access to
>>> fresh stuff. Take that away from people and canned foods will be a
>>> godsend. Canned foods are important during disasters and wars. It was
>>> originally designed to support military troops in the field and it
>>> still serves that purpose well, over 200 years later. Anybody that
>>> looks down on can foods have had too easy of a life. The reality is
>>> that canned foods have sustained life, not shortened it.

>> Very well said. The only veg I prefer canned is sweet corn (ie corn off
>> the cob) but in lean times. who knows what we would be grateful for.
>>

> Spam of course!

Hmmm I might have to go vegetarian

--
http://www.helpforheroes.org.uk/shop/

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On 5/17/2015 2:52 PM, Ophelia wrote:

> "Cabrito del Bosque" > wrote in message

>>> Very well said. The only veg I prefer canned is sweet corn (ie corn off
>>> the cob) but in lean times. who knows what we would be grateful for.
>>>

>> Spam of course!

> Hmmm I might have to go vegetarian

Beans?
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Sunday, May 17, 2015 at 10:49:53 AM UTC-10, Ophelia wrote:
> "dsi1" <> wrote in message

> >> Some stuff works reasonably well in cans - pork and bean type
> >> products, canned salmon - no it's not fresh salmon but for some uses
> >> it's great. I don't think I've ever had pork and beans made all
> >> fresh, from fresh beans, made within the hour, etc.
> >>
> >> Just like a lot of Chinese food really *is* better the next day, it
> >> benefits in many ways from the time it takes the ingredients to
> >> interact. Or wine that benefits from sitting in the bottle for a few
> >> extra years.
> >>
> >> Just saying that there's no problem in principle, for some canned
> >> foods being quite OK.
> >>
> >> J.

> > In this part of the world, Chinese food just turns icky soon after it's
> > served. I can't think of any that would be much good the next day.
> > Stuffed bittermelon might be OK but that's the only dish I can think of at
> > the moment. Give me some time to think of others. :-)
> >
> > I don't have any problem with canned foods. The reason it's fallen out of
> > favor is because most everybody has refrigeration and access to fresh
> > stuff. Take that away from people and canned foods will be a godsend.
> > Canned foods are important during disasters and wars. It was originally
> > designed to support military troops in the field and it still serves that
> > purpose well, over 200 years later. Anybody that looks down on can foods
> > have had too easy of a life. The reality is that canned foods have
> > sustained life, not shortened it.

> Very well said. The only veg I prefer canned is sweet corn (ie corn off the
> cob) but in lean times. who knows what we would be grateful for.
>

> --
> http://www.helpforheroes.org.uk/shop/

I was looking for some canned corn last night but alas, the cupboard was bare. If I had a cornfield behind the condo, I would have gone out into the warm tropical night and picked it. Unfortunately, there is no field back there. OTOH, I'm not that big on veggies. Rice would be my favorite vegetable. Hee hee.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Sunday, May 17, 2015 at 3:22:30 PM UTC-6, dsi1 wrote:
> On Sunday, May 17, 2015 at 10:49:53 AM UTC-10, Ophelia wrote:

> > > In this part of the world, Chinese food just turns icky soon after it's
> > > served. I can't think of any that would be much good the next day.
> > > Stuffed bittermelon might be OK but that's the only dish I can think of at
> > > the moment. Give me some time to think of others. :-)
> > >
> > > I don't have any problem with canned foods. The reason it's fallen out of
> > > favor is because most everybody has refrigeration and access to fresh
> > > stuff. Take that away from people and canned foods will be a godsend.
> > > Canned foods are important during disasters and wars. It was originally
> > > designed to support military troops in the field and it still serves that
> > > purpose well, over 200 years later. Anybody that looks down on can foods
> > > have had too easy of a life. The reality is that canned foods have
> > > sustained life, not shortened it.

> > Very well said. The only veg I prefer canned is sweet corn (ie corn off the
> > cob) but in lean times. who knows what we would be grateful for.
> >

> > --
> > http://www.helpforheroes.org.uk/shop/

> I was looking for some canned corn last night but alas, the cupboard was bare. If I had a cornfield behind the condo, I would have gone out into the warm tropical night and picked it. Unfortunately, there is no field back there. OTOH, I'm not that big on veggies. Rice would be my favorite vegetable. Hee hee.

Canned goods have been a godsend since I discharged my cook, serving maids and
my butler. They must be still popular as most grocery stores have a super abundance of food products all contained inside of tinned cans. Quality is
quite good as well and for the most part is not rotten or filled with vile
tasting content.
=======
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Sun, 17 May 2015 09:12:36 -0400, Gary > wrote:

>I used to make spaghetti sauce from scratch and cook it all day
>long...years ago. Then I learned that it was quicker (and just as
>tasty) to start with prepared sauce then enhance it to my
>specifications.

That doesnt say much about your 'from scratch' sauce then, not trying
to pick on you at all. I make spag sauce from scratch (which isn't
difficult) and I've yet to find a commercial product that comes even
close. I'm sure that's the case for any decent home made sauce.

>I now buy the cheap canned kind (and I can't think of the name) just
>as a base. I make 7 quarts when I make this.
>
>To the 2-3 cans of prepared, I'll add more canned tomato sauce and
>maybe even some canned chopped tomatoes. Each can that I add, I also
>add some dried spices&herbs. Then I fry up a pound or more of ground
>beast with worchest.. and lots of onions and some garlic. Each batch
>also gets a few Tbs of EVOO too.
>
>This mix simmers for hours then...
>This is when I'll add some chopped good tomatoes near the end. I want
>them to be chunky in the sauce. Then it's all frozen into pint
>containers. It's good stuff.
>
>If the last chopped tomatoes are fresh new (garden) ones, the sauce
>has a much better taste than using canned ones.

Exactly, which brings me back to my original comment above, so it
looks like you do actually agree with me after all
Posted to rec.food.cooking

"Gary" > wrote in message ...
> Julie Bove wrote:
>> Do you make pasta sauce with fresh? I have done it but I usually use
>> canned
>> or boxed.

> Boxed? :-o

Yes. Pomi is one such brand but there are others.

> I used to make spaghetti sauce from scratch and cook it all day
> long...years ago. Then I learned that it was quicker (and just as
> tasty) to start with prepared sauce then enhance it to my
> specifications.
>
> I now buy the cheap canned kind (and I can't think of the name) just
> as a base. I make 7 quarts when I make this.

I usually start with tomato sauce or puree.

> To the 2-3 cans of prepared, I'll add more canned tomato sauce and
> maybe even some canned chopped tomatoes. Each can that I add, I also
> add some dried spices&herbs. Then I fry up a pound or more of ground
> beast with worchest.. and lots of onions and some garlic. Each batch
> also gets a few Tbs of EVOO too.

I do not like the taste of Worchestershire sauce so I don't use it. I also
found that I don't really like meat with pasta.

> This mix simmers for hours then...
> This is when I'll add some chopped good tomatoes near the end. I want
> them to be chunky in the sauce. Then it's all frozen into pint
> containers. It's good stuff.
>
> If the last chopped tomatoes are fresh new (garden) ones, the sauce
> has a much better taste than using canned ones.

Okay.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

"dsi1" > wrote in message

In this part of the world, Chinese food just turns icky soon after it's
served. I can't think of any that would be much good the next day. Stuffed
bittermelon might be OK but that's the only dish I can think of at the
moment. Give me some time to think of others. :-)

I don't have any problem with canned foods. The reason it's fallen out of
favor is because most everybody has refrigeration and access to fresh stuff.
Take that away from people and canned foods will be a godsend. Canned foods
are important during disasters and wars. It was originally designed to
support military troops in the field and it still serves that purpose well,
over 200 years later. Anybody that looks down on can foods have had too easy
of a life. The reality is that canned foods have sustained life, not
shortened it.

---

Here, if you order Chinese food you usually get so much that there will be
leftovers. I think the rice is fine the next day, as well as things that
aren't breaded. I don't think they are any better the next day though.

When I lived on Cape Cod, I learned to live on canned food through the
winter. There just wasn't any good fresh produce available then for any
price, anywhere. That may have changed. I could buy some things like
carrots, potatoes and onions and they were okay but no celery, peppers,
tomatoes, greens... Any that were available were brown or mushy or in some
other way just not fresh.

In NY I also bought dried foods, but did eat a lot of canned vegetables as
well. Once again the problem came in winter. Some good produce could be at
at some stores but none near where I lived.

And that canned stuff got us through during the power outage in the summer.
It was so hot and muggy that everyone pretty much felt sick from that and
didn't want to eat much. There was no way to cool off because the outage
was so wide spread. There was no way to cool off anything. We pretty much
lived off of nuts and canned vegetables. I'd open a can of green beans or
kidney beans a couple of times a day and we'd split it three ways. Eaten at
room temp. which was pretty warm because we had no way of heating them.

Even after power was restored, we were all urged to eat nothing but canned
foods and to avoid restaurants for two weeks. Why? Unscrupulous grocers
and restaurants were trying to sell or serve us spoiled food. All fresh or
frozen food had to be thrown out and all surfaces scrubbed down before fresh
food could be brought it. Inspectors were checking for this.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Sun, 17 May 2015 12:45:38 -0700 (PDT), dsi1 >
wrote:

>> Just like a lot of Chinese food really *is* better the next day, it
>> benefits in many ways from the time it takes the ingredients to
>> interact.

>In this part of the world, Chinese food just turns icky soon after it's served.

Really? I thought it was general consensus that the leftover stuff is
really good the next day or two, assuming you get it in the fridge not
that long after it's made and served, and in sealed containers, and
it's usually also best eaten cold, I've never found a consistent way
to reheat it and still have it taste good.

Fried rice, twice cooked pork, chicken in black bean sauce, eggplant,
bok choi and black mushrooms, shrimp and veggies, honey walnut shrimp,
kung pao whatever, mu shu whatever, all do great ... OK the egg fu
yung (sp) I tried recently wasn't good cold, but it wasn't good hot
either. Sweet and sour pork/chicken might not do as well with the
breading.

Probably better if it's not too oily or salty to begin with, but it's
probably better if it's not too oil or salty to begin with.

J.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Sun, 17 May 2015 15:30:00 -0700, "Julie Bove"
> wrote:

>"dsi1" > wrote in message
>
>In this part of the world, Chinese food just turns icky soon after it's
>served.

Haha... thanks for that Julie
Bothell dares to be different again.

>I can't think of any that would be much good the next day.
>Here, if you order Chinese food you usually get so much that there will be
>leftovers. I think the rice is fine the next day, as well as things that
>aren't breaded.

Umm...
Posted to rec.food.cooking

Libby's canned yellow corn isn't yellow enough but the corn in their succotash is. The succotash corn looks different too, long kernels.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

"Jeßus" > wrote in message
> On Sun, 17 May 2015 09:12:36 -0400, Gary > wrote:
>
>>I used to make spaghetti sauce from scratch and cook it all day
>>long...years ago. Then I learned that it was quicker (and just as
>>tasty) to start with prepared sauce then enhance it to my
>>specifications.

> That doesnt say much about your 'from scratch' sauce then, not trying
> to pick on you at all. I make spag sauce from scratch (which isn't
> difficult) and I've yet to find a commercial product that comes even
> close. I'm sure that's the case for any decent home made sauce.

I suppose it depends on what kind of sauce you are making. My Italian FIL
was fine with jarred sauces and he said that they tasted every bit as good
to him as the sauce that his mom made that cooked all day. However... His
mom confided to me that she hated to cook. She used instant potatoes. When
did they come out with instant? Because of this, both my FIL and my husband
prefer them, perhaps because it is what they grew up eating. So while my
FIL's mom may well have cooked some sauce all day, I strongly suspect that
she started with some sort of canned product and it wouldn't necessarily be
the same as what is made from scratch. I have made it totally from scratch,
right down to fresh herbs. It was good. It was different from jarred. But
better? I don't know. That being said, there are vast differences in
jarred products. You could not pay me to eat the Muir Glen. Their other
products are fine. Salsa is good. Pasta sauce is not. Flavor is badly
weird. I do like the Amy's.

But bottom line for me... I am just not a pasta lover. I can eat it and I
will on occasion when I am hungry and want a quick meal. I will open a can
of tomato sauce or whatever other kind of tomato product I have. I will
heat it up and I may even use it straight up like that. If I have the time
or inclinatiuon, I will add some other stuff to it.

>>I now buy the cheap canned kind (and I can't think of the name) just
>>as a base. I make 7 quarts when I make this.
>>
>>To the 2-3 cans of prepared, I'll add more canned tomato sauce and
>>maybe even some canned chopped tomatoes. Each can that I add, I also
>>add some dried spices&herbs. Then I fry up a pound or more of ground
>>beast with worchest.. and lots of onions and some garlic. Each batch
>>also gets a few Tbs of EVOO too.
>>
>>This mix simmers for hours then...
>>This is when I'll add some chopped good tomatoes near the end. I want
>>them to be chunky in the sauce. Then it's all frozen into pint
>>containers. It's good stuff.
>>
>>If the last chopped tomatoes are fresh new (garden) ones, the sauce
>>has a much better taste than using canned ones.

> Exactly, which brings me back to my original comment above, so it
> looks like you do actually agree with me after all

I used to buy the Hunt's and we were all fine with it. Until they changed
the ingredients and now I won't buy it.