Posted to rec.food.cooking

Default Why canned food is not as good as fresh

Julie wrote

> > Yes! You never know when someone might get sick or go into the hospital.
> > In some cases you'll be stuck at home with them or going to the hospital
> > so often there is no time to go buy food.

Where I live, that's the last problem anyone has in that situation.
Their main problem is answering the phone/door to all the people
bringing food they made, offering to do shopping housework and laundry,
cook meals, walk the dog etc.

Janet UK

Posted to rec.food.cooking

"Jeßus" > wrote in message
> On Mon, 18 May 2015 17:11:23 -0700, "Julie Bove"
> > wrote:

>>> No, you can use one inside if a window is open nearby.

>>That would not be likely to happen! Generally when we lose power it is
>>because it is cold and windy, rainy, snowy...

> Well, just pretend to open the window if it's cold and windy, rainy,
> snowy...

Why? I said that I was fine eating it straight from the can. No need to
heat it.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

"Janet" > wrote in message
t...

> Julie wrote
>
>> > Yes! You never know when someone might get sick or go into the
>> > hospital.
>> > In some cases you'll be stuck at home with them or going to the
>> > hospital
>> > so often there is no time to go buy food.

> Where I live, that's the last problem anyone has in that situation.
> Their main problem is answering the phone/door to all the people
> bringing food they made, offering to do shopping housework and laundry,
> cook meals, walk the dog etc.

What? People come to the door bringing food that they made? Hahaha. *I*
am pretty much the only person I know around here who makes food. Some of
my friends do cook but they don't live anywhere near me. In fact none of my
friends live way out over here. In fact the only one in my circle of people
who could possibly do any of that stuff is my one SIL who has to take care
of her mom who is elderly and can't be left alone for long. I did have to
impose on her sometimes when I had the foot trauma last year. If she hadn't
taken me to the hospital for the second time, I likely wouldn't be here
today.

Everyone else I know either works or does not drive any more so couldn't get
out even if they wanted to. Or simply wouldn't drive all the way over here.
I don't happen to think that my place is hard to find but a lot of people
do. Including such people as plumbers and delivery people. You'd think in
this day and age, everyone would have a GPS but they don't.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

"Bruce" > wrote in message
> On Tue, 19 May 2015 11:03:12 +0100, Janet > wrote:
>

>> Julie wrote

>> Where I live, that's the last problem anyone has in that situation.
>>Their main problem is answering the phone/door to all the people
>>bringing food they made, offering to do shopping housework and laundry,
>>cook meals, walk the dog etc.

> That's called a nursing home.

True dat.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On 5/18/2015 5:53 AM, Bruce wrote:
> On Mon, 18 May 2015 11:41:52 +0100, "Ophelia" >
> wrote:
>

>> "Bruce" > wrote in message

>> lol one way of putting it. But one thing, some folk I have read about seem
>> to think that anything will do for storage so long as they have that back
>> up, but they need to understand, if you don't like it before you need it,
>> you sure as heck won't like it after) So, eating 'storage' food isn't bad
>> but fresh is nicer

> But in most countries that disaster will never hit, unless it's a 1 or
> 2 day power outage or flood or similar, so it's more psychological
> anyway

I don't overdo it, but I do keep a stock of canned goods plus dried
produce such as beans--enough to last for a week in an emergency. I
live in East Texas, and I have lost power for 7 days in each of two
hurricanes that affected this area. I eat primarily fresh produce with
some frozen food for my regular routine. I would need power to cook the
dried food, so I do keep several containers of peanut butter, canned
tuna and chicken, and other items that do not need to be cooked. I even
keep a couple of cans of Spam. That is the only item that I do not
include in my regular diet, but it would "do" in an emergency.

MaryL

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On 5/19/2015 7:06 AM, Bruce wrote:
> On Tue, 19 May 2015 07:01:10 -0500, MaryL
> > wrote:
>

>> I don't overdo it, but I do keep a stock of canned goods plus dried
>> produce such as beans--enough to last for a week in an emergency. I
>> live in East Texas, and I have lost power for 7 days in each of two
>> hurricanes that affected this area. I eat primarily fresh produce with
>> some frozen food for my regular routine. I would need power to cook the
>> dried food, so I do keep several containers of peanut butter, canned
>> tuna and chicken, and other items that do not need to be cooked. I even
>> keep a couple of cans of Spam. That is the only item that I do not
>> include in my regular diet, but it would "do" in an emergency.

> Yes, I can imagine you'd want to be prepared for a hurricane and its
> aftermath.

I also learned during those events to keep *lots* of batteries of
different sizes on hand. I completely ran out of batteries the first
time, and every store in town sold out the first day. Now, I keep lots
of batteries, but I do cycle through them by putting the first
expiration dates at the front. I also keep several gallons of bottled
water. I do not use bottled water except when I am traveling, but that
would be the most important item in the event of a true emergency.

MaryL
Posted to rec.food.cooking

"Bruce" > wrote in message
> On Tue, 19 May 2015 07:11:14 -0500, MaryL
> > wrote:
>
>>On 5/19/2015 7:06 AM, Bruce wrote:
>>> On Tue, 19 May 2015 07:01:10 -0500, MaryL

>>> Yes, I can imagine you'd want to be prepared for a hurricane and its
>>> aftermath.
>>>

>>I also learned during those events to keep *lots* of batteries of
>>different sizes on hand. I completely ran out of batteries the first
>>time, and every store in town sold out the first day. Now, I keep lots
>>of batteries, but I do cycle through them by putting the first
>>expiration dates at the front. I also keep several gallons of bottled
>>water. I do not use bottled water except when I am traveling, but that
>>would be the most important item in the event of a true emergency.

> We tend to get -one day max- power outages when there's rain, wind or
> any other type of weather. Batteries or candles are high on our list
> too.

Loads here too as well as water. We have suitcase solar panels too which
work well in other situations too.

--
http://www.helpforheroes.org.uk/shop/

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Tue, 19 May 2015 12:14:15 +1000, Jeßus
> wrote:

>On Mon, 18 May 2015 17:11:23 -0700, "Julie Bove"
> wrote:

>>> No, you can use one inside if a window is open nearby.

>>That would not be likely to happen! Generally when we lose power it is
>>because it is cold and windy, rainy, snowy...

>Well, just pretend to open the window if it's cold and windy, rainy,
>snowy...

Coleman says never use fueled (white gas/propane) camping
stoves/lanterns indoors, and I concur.
http://www.coleman.com/EmergencyPreparedness/
http://www.ehow.com/how_5380295_use-...s-indoors.html
Never inside a tent either.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Tue, 19 May 2015 07:11:14 -0500, MaryL
> wrote:

>On 5/19/2015 7:06 AM, Bruce wrote:
>> On Tue, 19 May 2015 07:01:10 -0500, MaryL
>> > wrote:
>>

>>> I don't overdo it, but I do keep a stock of canned goods plus dried
>>> produce such as beans--enough to last for a week in an emergency. I
>>> live in East Texas, and I have lost power for 7 days in each of two
>>> hurricanes that affected this area. I eat primarily fresh produce with
>>> some frozen food for my regular routine. I would need power to cook the
>>> dried food, so I do keep several containers of peanut butter, canned
>>> tuna and chicken, and other items that do not need to be cooked. I even
>>> keep a couple of cans of Spam. That is the only item that I do not
>>> include in my regular diet, but it would "do" in an emergency.

>> Yes, I can imagine you'd want to be prepared for a hurricane and its
>> aftermath.
>>

>I also learned during those events to keep *lots* of batteries of
>different sizes on hand. I completely ran out of batteries the first
>time, and every store in town sold out the first day. Now, I keep lots
>of batteries, but I do cycle through them by putting the first
>expiration dates at the front.

LED flashlights/lanterns will operate for years on the same battery,
and give far brighter light.

>I also keep several gallons of bottled
>water. I do not use bottled water except when I am traveling, but that
>would be the most important item in the event of a true emergency.

During power outages private wells won't operate and often town wells
don't operate. Besides bottled drinking water it's very advisable to
have many gallons of pond/creek water for flushing toilets.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Tue, 19 May 2015 22:16:29 +1000, Bruce > wrote:

>On Tue, 19 May 2015 07:11:14 -0500, MaryL
> wrote:
>
>>On 5/19/2015 7:06 AM, Bruce wrote:
>>> On Tue, 19 May 2015 07:01:10 -0500, MaryL

>>> Yes, I can imagine you'd want to be prepared for a hurricane and its
>>> aftermath.
>>>

>>I also learned during those events to keep *lots* of batteries of
>>different sizes on hand. I completely ran out of batteries the first
>>time, and every store in town sold out the first day. Now, I keep lots
>>of batteries, but I do cycle through them by putting the first
>>expiration dates at the front. I also keep several gallons of bottled
>>water. I do not use bottled water except when I am traveling, but that
>>would be the most important item in the event of a true emergency.

>We tend to get -one day max- power outages when there's rain, wind or
>any other type of weather. Batteries or candles are high on our list
>too.

LED lanterns will operate continuously for up to a week on high on
three D cells, emits as much light as a 100 watt incondescent bulb....
LED bulbs can last 100,000 hours.
http://www.amazon.com/dp/B00PDJ2JGQ?psc=1

There are also LED lanterns one cranks... includes radio and cell
battery charger... no batterys needed.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On 2015-05-19 8:47 AM, Brooklyn1 wrote:

> LED flashlights/lanterns will operate for years on the same battery,
> and give far brighter light.

I have been replacing flashlights with LED flashlights. They don't
provide a powerful beam but they do give enough light and in wider area
and they are so much more energy efficient. One of mine is rechargeable
with a USB cable.

>> I also keep several gallons of bottled
>> water. I do not use bottled water except when I am traveling, but that
>> would be the most important item in the event of a true emergency.

> During power outages private wells won't operate and often town wells
> don't operate. Besides bottled drinking water it's very advisable to
> have many gallons of pond/creek water for flushing toilets.

We have a well and cistern, both close to the house. We have a distiller
for our drinking water and usually have at least 10 gallons on hand. We
can drop a pail into either water source for flushing water.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

MaryL > wrote:
> On 5/19/2015 7:06 AM, Bruce wrote:
>> On Tue, 19 May 2015 07:01:10 -0500, MaryL
>> > wrote:
>>

>>> I don't overdo it, but I do keep a stock of canned goods plus dried
>>> produce such as beans--enough to last for a week in an emergency. I
>>> live in East Texas, and I have lost power for 7 days in each of two
>>> hurricanes that affected this area. I eat primarily fresh produce with
>>> some frozen food for my regular routine. I would need power to cook the
>>> dried food, so I do keep several containers of peanut butter, canned
>>> tuna and chicken, and other items that do not need to be cooked. I even
>>> keep a couple of cans of Spam. That is the only item that I do not
>>> include in my regular diet, but it would "do" in an emergency.

>> Yes, I can imagine you'd want to be prepared for a hurricane and its
>> aftermath.
>>

> I also learned during those events to keep *lots* of batteries of
> different sizes on hand. I completely ran out of batteries the first
> time, and every store in town sold out the first day. Now, I keep lots
> of batteries, but I do cycle through them by putting the first expiration
> dates at the front. I also keep several gallons of bottled water. I do
> not use bottled water except when I am traveling, but that would be the
> most important item in the event of a true emergency.
>
> MaryL

Thanks for that tip, Mary! We just bought a waterfront vacation home
directly on the gulf and I know DH is obsessing a bit on hurricane risk.
We just closed on the place four days ago, so I'm planning on flying down
later this week to buy furniture and housewares. I'll definitely be adding
extra batteries to my shopping list.
--
jinx the minx
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Tue, 19 May 2015 13:42:06 +0000 (UTC), jinx the minx
> wrote:

>MaryL > wrote:
>> On 5/19/2015 7:06 AM, Bruce wrote:
>>> On Tue, 19 May 2015 07:01:10 -0500, MaryL

>>> Yes, I can imagine you'd want to be prepared for a hurricane and its
>>> aftermath.
>>>

>> I also learned during those events to keep *lots* of batteries of
>> different sizes on hand. I completely ran out of batteries the first
>> time, and every store in town sold out the first day. Now, I keep lots
>> of batteries, but I do cycle through them by putting the first expiration
>> dates at the front. I also keep several gallons of bottled water. I do
>> not use bottled water except when I am traveling, but that would be the
>> most important item in the event of a true emergency.
>>
>> MaryL

>Thanks for that tip, Mary! We just bought a waterfront vacation home
>directly on the gulf and I know DH is obsessing a bit on hurricane risk.
>We just closed on the place four days ago, so I'm planning on flying down
>later this week to buy furniture and housewares. I'll definitely be adding
>extra batteries to my shopping list.

I wouldn't stock up on very many batterys in anticipation of power
outages, they deteriorate over time. Today batteries keep longer than
they used to but still left on a shelf for a year or two they lose a
lot of power so they may not be of much use for a protracted
emergency. It's best to buy a small supply and rotate them with those
you regularly use... and consider getting rid of your old flashlights
and get LEDs. Of course extra batterys won't be of any use in a
hurricane at a beach front house, at the first warning of an
approaching hurricane it's best to hustle your butt out of there fast,
before all the roads are clogged, and don't even consider staying with
that house. Instead of buying batterys buy flood insurance. You may
also want to bulkhead your property, but I've seen the most extensive
bulkheading destroyed in a blink. Many years ago I lived on beach
front property on Long Island... all I can say is good luck and don't
do anything stupid... better than batterys keep well stocked with
fresh gasolene so you can get out.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Tue, 19 May 2015 15:00:44 +0100, Janet > wrote:

>In article >, says...
>>
>> "Janet" > wrote in message
>> t...
>> >
>> > Julie wrote

>> > Where I live, that's the last problem anyone has in that situation.
>> > Their main problem is answering the phone/door to all the people
>> > bringing food they made, offering to do shopping housework and laundry,
>> > cook meals, walk the dog etc.

>> What? People come to the door bringing food that they made? Hahaha.

> Yes, this is a long held tradition in much of Scotland (and Ireland)
>
> *I*
>> am pretty much the only person I know around here who makes food.

> Most people bring home made comfort food; usual offerings are homely
>stuff like soup, pies, home baking, rice pudding.
>
> Some of
>> my friends do cook but they don't live anywhere near me.

> This tradition is not about "friends"; its a community thing. Total
>strangers offer and are offered the same support.
>
> Janet UK

When I lived on Long Island when there were protracted power outages
the entire neighborhood hosted a giant cookout, even pets were invited
to eat, it was cook and eat or toss tons of food. When Hurricane
Gloria hit there was no power where I lived in Shoreham for eleven
days, no phone lines either and there were no cell phones then, it was
my daughter's 16th birthday. Scroll down to the Long Island section:
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Hurricane_Gloria
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On 5/19/2015 11:20 AM, Brooklyn1 wrote:
> On Tue, 19 May 2015 13:42:06 +0000 (UTC), jinx the minx
> > wrote:
>
>> MaryL > wrote:

>>> I also learned during those events to keep *lots* of batteries of
>>> different sizes on hand. I completely ran out of batteries the first
>>> time, and every store in town sold out the first day. Now, I keep lots
>>> of batteries, but I do cycle through them by putting the first expiration
>>> dates at the front. I also keep several gallons of bottled water. I do
>>> not use bottled water except when I am traveling, but that would be the
>>> most important item in the event of a true emergency.
>>>
>>> MaryL

>> Thanks for that tip, Mary! We just bought a waterfront vacation home
>> directly on the gulf and I know DH is obsessing a bit on hurricane risk.
>> We just closed on the place four days ago, so I'm planning on flying down
>> later this week to buy furniture and housewares. I'll definitely be adding
>> extra batteries to my shopping list.

> I wouldn't stock up on very many batterys in anticipation of power
> outages, they deteriorate over time. Today batteries keep longer than
> they used to but still left on a shelf for a year or two they lose a
> lot of power so they may not be of much use for a protracted
> emergency. It's best to buy a small supply and rotate them with those
> you regularly use... and consider getting rid of your old flashlights
> and get LEDs.

I don't know why you assume the flashlights everyone else has are not
LEDs. I've got two small LED Coleman-style lanterns along with a large
LED flashlight. I even have a small LED book-light that serves double
as a bookmark so I can comfortably read during a power outage.

Of course you should rotate the batteries in your stock periodically;
none of them last forever, not even rechargeable batteries.

Jill
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On 5/19/2015 1:35 AM, Ophelia wrote:

> "Cabrito del Bosque" > wrote in message

>>> 'ear, 'ear cob ber !
>>>

>> She said in a husky voice...

> This is going on far too long for a single episode, it should be
> cerealised.

If I'd known you were going to milk it again...
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On 5/19/2015 1:37 AM, Ophelia wrote:

> "Cabrito del Bosque" > wrote in message

>>> Of course and we give plenty to charity, but why would I empty my store.
>>> Would you give your house away?
>>>

>> What I like to do is sett all the pantry items free every couple of
>> years prior to expiry dates.
>>
>> It's liberating!

> Good for you. I won't ask what will happen should tragedy arise just
> after your clearout.

I might come over and beg a bit...
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On 5/19/2015 6:28 AM, Brooklyn1 wrote:
> On Tue, 19 May 2015 12:14:15 +1000, Jeßus
> > wrote:
>
>> On Mon, 18 May 2015 17:11:23 -0700, "Julie Bove"
>> > wrote:

>>> That would not be likely to happen! Generally when we lose power it is
>>> because it is cold and windy, rainy, snowy...

>> Well, just pretend to open the window if it's cold and windy, rainy,
>> snowy...

> Coleman says never use fueled (white gas/propane) camping
> stoves/lanterns indoors, and I concur.
> http://www.coleman.com/EmergencyPreparedness/
> http://www.ehow.com/how_5380295_use-...s-indoors.html
> Never inside a tent either.

As stated, open a window.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On 5/19/2015 9:57 AM, Sqwertz wrote:
> Is this a contest to see how many times can you misspell 'batteries'
> in a single post?
>> Omelet wrote:

>> He hates me 'cause I never slept with him...

> He hates himself because he is all he has to sleep with
> I don't know, sometimes he used to seem normal, then he went petty
> trough vindictive and now I just shun contact. I have enough crazies to
> deal with in my world without encouraging those who refuse to take their
> meds.

For the record, I never once even considered sleeping with you. And
you know that. You're the one who somehow got the idea that I was
going to move in with you - and you posted that to RFC just out of the
total blue.

After having met you twice at casual austin.food gatherings 2 or 3
years ago and not giving you any indication that there was any sort of
romantic interest in the least, you somehow twisted that into MY
MOVING IN WITH YOU?

That was just way too Psycho for me. I sat there at stared at the
screen for at least 15 minutes wondering, WTF? That was just way too
spooky. I've met weird, semi-psycho women before but you win, hands
down. Mapi of austin.general still holds the male title, but at least
he announced his psychosis right there lying on the floor of the bar
at B.D. Reilly's rather than romantically obsessing over me for 2
years.

Needless to say, you need to come to terms with what happened and why
your mind works that way and stop making up excuses for your fixation
and disappointment before we become the next Yoli and Michael. I'd
prefer you use a sniper rifle on me from a few hundred yards away.
There you go - a reason for you to buy yet another gun and ammo.

And Jeremy, I was just tired of your decade of bullshit and visions of
grandeur about all these things you're "working on" or have not done
in the past. Even posting a call for meetings with imaginary people
about imaginary projects of yours at "the normal time and place", as
if you are somebody important with a life. I'm pretty sure you're
manic depressive mixed with habitual liar.

Sorry I don't fit either of your Ideal Psycho Pal Profiles.

-sw

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On 5/19/2015 7:47 AM, Brooklyn1 wrote:
> On Tue, 19 May 2015 07:11:14 -0500, MaryL
> > wrote:
>
>> On 5/19/2015 7:06 AM, Bruce wrote:
>>> On Tue, 19 May 2015 07:01:10 -0500, MaryL

>>> Yes, I can imagine you'd want to be prepared for a hurricane and its
>>> aftermath.
>>>

>> I also learned during those events to keep *lots* of batteries of
>> different sizes on hand. I completely ran out of batteries the first
>> time, and every store in town sold out the first day. Now, I keep lots
>> of batteries, but I do cycle through them by putting the first
>> expiration dates at the front.

> LED flashlights/lanterns will operate for years on the same battery,
> and give far brighter light.
>
>> I also keep several gallons of bottled
>> water. I do not use bottled water except when I am traveling, but that
>> would be the most important item in the event of a true emergency.

> During power outages private wells won't operate and often town wells
> don't operate. Besides bottled drinking water it's very advisable to
> have many gallons of pond/creek water for flushing toilets.

I would not have access to pond or creek water. However, I have learned
to fill the bathtub with water when we have a warning of advancing
hurricanes that may affect this area.

I have a couple of LED lanterns, but I only have flashlights that use
regular alkaline batteries. I will check into LED flashlights now that
you have mentioned them. I live in East Texas, and it was extremely hot
both times that we lost power for extended periods; so a number of those
batteries went for two portable fans that operate on several D
batteries. It can get very hot in a house that is sitting in weather
conditions with triple-digit temperature and high humidity. I did open
windows, but that was of limited value during those times.

MaryL

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On 5/19/2015 10:20 AM, Brooklyn1 wrote:
> On Tue, 19 May 2015 13:42:06 +0000 (UTC), jinx the minx
> > wrote:
>
>> MaryL > wrote:

>>> I also learned during those events to keep *lots* of batteries of
>>> different sizes on hand. I completely ran out of batteries the first
>>> time, and every store in town sold out the first day. Now, I keep lots
>>> of batteries, but I do cycle through them by putting the first expiration
>>> dates at the front. I also keep several gallons of bottled water. I do
>>> not use bottled water except when I am traveling, but that would be the
>>> most important item in the event of a true emergency.
>>>
>>> MaryL

>> Thanks for that tip, Mary! We just bought a waterfront vacation home
>> directly on the gulf and I know DH is obsessing a bit on hurricane risk.
>> We just closed on the place four days ago, so I'm planning on flying down
>> later this week to buy furniture and housewares. I'll definitely be adding
>> extra batteries to my shopping list.

> I wouldn't stock up on very many batterys in anticipation of power
> outages, they deteriorate over time. Today batteries keep longer than
> they used to but still left on a shelf for a year or two they lose a
> lot of power so they may not be of much use for a protracted
> emergency. It's best to buy a small supply and rotate them with those
> you regularly use... and consider getting rid of your old flashlights
> and get LEDs. Of course extra batterys won't be of any use in a
> hurricane at a beach front house, at the first warning of an
> approaching hurricane it's best to hustle your butt out of there fast,
> before all the roads are clogged, and don't even consider staying with
> that house.

That's good advice to evacuate at the first warning (or, at least,
"early" warning) of a hurricane before all the roads become clogged. I
live far enough north of the Gulf that hurricanes *usually* don't bother
us, and we become an evacuation center for hundreds of people together
with their cats, dogs, birds, horses, donkeys, etc. That may sound
ironic since I described two occasions when we lost power for 7 days
each, but it certainly is a lot better than losing your home--and
especially better than losing your life.

Instead of buying batterys buy flood insurance.

I "second" this advice. Most people don't get flood insurance, but many
live to regret it.

MaryL

Posted to rec.food.cooking

"Cabrito del Bosque" > wrote in message
> On 5/19/2015 1:37 AM, Ophelia wrote:

>>> What I like to do is sett all the pantry items free every couple of
>>> years prior to expiry dates.
>>>
>>> It's liberating!

>> Good for you. I won't ask what will happen should tragedy arise just
>> after your clearout.
>>

> I might come over and beg a bit...

I am sure you wouldn't have to beg)

--
http://www.helpforheroes.org.uk/shop/

Posted to rec.food.cooking

> wrote in message
> On Tue, 19 May 2015 11:16:48 -0500, MaryL
> > wrote:
>

>>I have a couple of LED lanterns, but I only have flashlights that use
>>regular alkaline batteries. I will check into LED flashlights now that
>>you have mentioned them. I live in East Texas, and it was extremely hot
>>both times that we lost power for extended periods; so a number of those
>>batteries went for two portable fans that operate on several D
>>batteries. It can get very hot in a house that is sitting in weather
>>conditions with triple-digit temperature and high humidity. I did open
>>windows, but that was of limited value during those times.
>>
>>MaryL

> The LED lamps and flashlights are excellent. I found one under the
> seat of my car yesterday, been there for maybe 8/9 years. Squeezed
> the gizmo that operates it and lo and behold, still working That
> was one of the type you can squeeze about ten times and then it runs
> on that for ten minutes. I had put it in the car thinking sometime it
> might be very useful

We have several lamps, radio and torches that don't need batteries. We can
just wind them up, so if all else fails ...

--
http://www.helpforheroes.org.uk/shop/

Posted to rec.food.cooking

"Cabrito del Bosque" > wrote in message
> On 5/19/2015 1:35 AM, Ophelia wrote:

>>> She said in a husky voice...

>> This is going on far too long for a single episode, it should be
>> cerealised.
>>

> If I'd known you were going to milk it again...

I am just a-maize-d it has gone on so long ...

--
http://www.helpforheroes.org.uk/shop/
Posted to rec.food.cooking

MaryL > wrote:
> On 5/19/2015 10:20 AM, Brooklyn1 wrote:
>> On Tue, 19 May 2015 13:42:06 +0000 (UTC), jinx the minx
>> > wrote:

>>> Thanks for that tip, Mary! We just bought a waterfront vacation home
>>> directly on the gulf and I know DH is obsessing a bit on hurricane risk.
>>> We just closed on the place four days ago, so I'm planning on flying down
>>> later this week to buy furniture and housewares. I'll definitely be adding
>>> extra batteries to my shopping list.

>> I wouldn't stock up on very many batterys in anticipation of power
>> outages, they deteriorate over time. Today batteries keep longer than
>> they used to but still left on a shelf for a year or two they lose a
>> lot of power so they may not be of much use for a protracted
>> emergency. It's best to buy a small supply and rotate them with those
>> you regularly use... and consider getting rid of your old flashlights
>> and get LEDs. Of course extra batterys won't be of any use in a
>> hurricane at a beach front house, at the first warning of an
>> approaching hurricane it's best to hustle your butt out of there fast,
>> before all the roads are clogged, and don't even consider staying with
>> that house.

> That's good advice to evacuate at the first warning (or, at least,
> "early" warning) of a hurricane before all the roads become clogged. I
> live far enough north of the Gulf that hurricanes *usually* don't bother
> us, and we become an evacuation center for hundreds of people together
> with their cats, dogs, birds, horses, donkeys, etc. That may sound
> ironic since I described two occasions when we lost power for 7 days
> each, but it certainly is a lot better than losing your home--and
> especially better than losing your life.
>
> Instead of buying batterys buy flood insurance.
>
> I "second" this advice. Most people don't get flood insurance, but many live to regret it.
>
> MaryL

We bought flood insurance and holy cow was that a chunk of change!!
--
jinx the minx
Posted to rec.food.cooking

In article >, gravesend10
@verizon.net says...
> When I lived on Long Island when there were protracted power outages
> the entire neighborhood hosted a giant cookout, even pets were invited
> to eat, it was cook and eat or toss tons of food. When Hurricane
> Gloria hit there was no power where I lived in Shoreham for eleven
> days, no phone lines either and there were no cell phones then, it was
> my daughter's 16th birthday. Scroll down to the Long Island section:
> http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Hurricane_Gloria

A couple of years ago we had a freak late snow storm which took out
the mainland power pylons that feed the undersea cable to this island
(and many of the wooden poles here, so no phones either). The island had
no mains power for 6 weeks and large areas were completely cut off by
deep snow.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-scotland-21922510

Janet UK

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On 5/19/2015 11:52 AM, Ophelia wrote:

> > wrote in message
>> On Tue, 19 May 2015 11:16:48 -0500, MaryL
>> > wrote:
>>

>>> I have a couple of LED lanterns, but I only have flashlights that use
>>> regular alkaline batteries. I will check into LED flashlights now that
>>> you have mentioned them. I live in East Texas, and it was extremely hot
>>> both times that we lost power for extended periods; so a number of those
>>> batteries went for two portable fans that operate on several D
>>> batteries. It can get very hot in a house that is sitting in weather
>>> conditions with triple-digit temperature and high humidity. I did open
>>> windows, but that was of limited value during those times.
>>>
>>> MaryL

>> The LED lamps and flashlights are excellent. I found one under the
>> seat of my car yesterday, been there for maybe 8/9 years. Squeezed
>> the gizmo that operates it and lo and behold, still working That
>> was one of the type you can squeeze about ten times and then it runs
>> on that for ten minutes. I had put it in the car thinking sometime it
>> might be very useful

> We have several lamps, radio and torches that don't need batteries. We
> can just wind them up, so if all else fails ...

I also have several of those wind-up items, but none work well for me.
A problem is that I have vision problems and arthritis in my hands, so
that alone has caused difficulty when I try to "crank" those items. My
favorite flashlights are a Coleman model that have an oval-shaped lens.
They are bright, and the shape means they will not roll if placed on
an uneven surface. I have several because I keep one on both sides of
each bed (my own and also guest beds so that guests can find their way
around in the dark). They also do not require strength to turn on the
light, which is very important because of arthritis.

I am interested in looking at LED flashlights. In fact, I checked into
it on amazon.com after I read some messages in this thread. However,
most of them looked very small. I want the standard size (or what used
to be standard) because it is difficult for me to grasp something small.
It is difficult to see what the diameter is on amazon, so I will
probably go to Walmart and Lowe's soon.

MaryL

MaryL

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On 5/19/2015 10:49 AM, Ophelia wrote:

> "Cabrito del Bosque" > wrote in message

>>> Good for you. I won't ask what will happen should tragedy arise just
>>> after your clearout.
>>>

>> I might come over and beg a bit...

> I am sure you wouldn't have to beg)

Aw, thankee!
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On 5/19/2015 10:56 AM, Ophelia wrote:

> "Cabrito del Bosque" > wrote in message

>>> This is going on far too long for a single episode, it should be
>>> cerealised.
>>>

>> If I'd known you were going to milk it again...

> I am just a-maize-d it has gone on so long ...

;-)

Posted to rec.food.cooking

"MaryL" > wrote in message
> On 5/19/2015 11:52 AM, Ophelia wrote:
>>

>> > wrote in message
>>> On Tue, 19 May 2015 11:16:48 -0500, MaryL

>>> The LED lamps and flashlights are excellent. I found one under the
>>> seat of my car yesterday, been there for maybe 8/9 years. Squeezed
>>> the gizmo that operates it and lo and behold, still working That
>>> was one of the type you can squeeze about ten times and then it runs
>>> on that for ten minutes. I had put it in the car thinking sometime it
>>> might be very useful

>> We have several lamps, radio and torches that don't need batteries. We
>> can just wind them up, so if all else fails ...
>>

> I also have several of those wind-up items, but none work well for me. A
> problem is that I have vision problems and arthritis in my hands, so that
> alone has caused difficulty when I try to "crank" those items.

I totally understand as I have similar problems but hubby can do it and of
course they are simply a backup to all the other lamps etc. All of our
wind-ups are mains rechargeable too, so we keep them topped up and would
only have to wind when the existing charge ran down. In addition we keep
kerosene pressure and wick lamps, butane lamps, battery lamps that use D, C,
AA, and AAA cells so that if we run out of batteries we have best chance of
finding some of one size or another, some solar charged lamps with their own
panels, and 12v lamps that will run off 12v batteries that can be charged by
solar panels or the generator, plus plenty of candles and lamps to hold
them. Most of the battery/rechargeable lamps are LED but a couple are
fluorescent tubes.

HTH

--
http://www.helpforheroes.org.uk/shop/

Posted to rec.food.cooking

"Cabrito del Bosque" > wrote in message
> On 5/19/2015 10:49 AM, Ophelia wrote:

>>> I might come over and beg a bit...

>> I am sure you wouldn't have to beg)
>>

> Aw, thankee!

Well just because I keep a good store doesn't mean I am scrooge )

--
http://www.helpforheroes.org.uk/shop/

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On 5/19/2015 11:35 AM, MaryL wrote:
> On 5/19/2015 11:52 AM, Ophelia wrote:
>>

>> > wrote in message
>>> On Tue, 19 May 2015 11:16:48 -0500, MaryL

>>> The LED lamps and flashlights are excellent. I found one under the
>>> seat of my car yesterday, been there for maybe 8/9 years. Squeezed
>>> the gizmo that operates it and lo and behold, still working That
>>> was one of the type you can squeeze about ten times and then it runs
>>> on that for ten minutes. I had put it in the car thinking sometime it
>>> might be very useful

>> We have several lamps, radio and torches that don't need batteries. We
>> can just wind them up, so if all else fails ...
>>

> I also have several of those wind-up items, but none work well for me. A
> problem is that I have vision problems and arthritis in my hands, so
> that alone has caused difficulty when I try to "crank" those items. My
> favorite flashlights are a Coleman model that have an oval-shaped lens.
> They are bright, and the shape means they will not roll if placed on
> an uneven surface. I have several because I keep one on both sides of
> each bed (my own and also guest beds so that guests can find their way
> around in the dark). They also do not require strength to turn on the
> light, which is very important because of arthritis.
>
> I am interested in looking at LED flashlights. In fact, I checked into
> it on amazon.com after I read some messages in this thread. However,
> most of them looked very small. I want the standard size (or what used
> to be standard) because it is difficult for me to grasp something small.
> It is difficult to see what the diameter is on amazon, so I will
> probably go to Walmart and Lowe's soon.
>
> MaryL
>

> MaryL

Give this beauty some thought:

http://www.walmart.com/ip/Coleman-8D...ntern/21156007

Two light settings super easy to turn on and off, and stable.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On 5/19/2015 11:31 AM, Janet wrote:
> In article >, gravesend10
> @verizon.net says...
>> When I lived on Long Island when there were protracted power outages
>> the entire neighborhood hosted a giant cookout, even pets were invited
>> to eat, it was cook and eat or toss tons of food. When Hurricane
>> Gloria hit there was no power where I lived in Shoreham for eleven
>> days, no phone lines either and there were no cell phones then, it was
>> my daughter's 16th birthday. Scroll down to the Long Island section:
>> http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Hurricane_Gloria

> A couple of years ago we had a freak late snow storm which took out
> the mainland power pylons that feed the undersea cable to this island
> (and many of the wooden poles here, so no phones either). The island had
> no mains power for 6 weeks and large areas were completely cut off by
> deep snow.
>
> http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-scotland-21922510
>
> Janet UK

WOW, the snow drifts were epic!

Did you have a generator?
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Tuesday, May 19, 2015 at 12:39:12 PM UTC-6, Ophelia wrote:
> "Cabrito del Bosque" > wrote in message

> >> I am sure you wouldn't have to beg)
> >>

> > Aw, thankee!

> Well just because I keep a good store doesn't mean I am scrooge )
>

> --
> http://www.helpforheroes.org.uk/shop/

I'm sure you're not a Scrooge but even if you were, you'd be an adorable one.
Ahahahahahaha