Thomas Reat

Default Marinara sauce - fresh vs canned tomatoes?

Will good canned tomatoes produce a better marinara sauce than poor
fresh tomatoes?

I presume that excellent, fresh, very ripe plum tomatoes is expected
to be far better than anything made from canned tomato products?

Please share your feelings on tomato selection for sauces.
Reg

Thomas Reat wrote:

> Will good canned tomatoes produce a better marinara sauce than poor
> fresh tomatoes?
>
> I presume that excellent, fresh, very ripe plum tomatoes is expected
> to be far better than anything made from canned tomato products?
>
> Please share your feelings on tomato selection for sauces.

The only time I use fresh tomatoes for sauce is at the peak of tomato
season. Otherwise canned is better. I prefer San Marzanos.

Reg

Thomas Reat wrote:

> Will good canned tomatoes produce a better marinara sauce than poor
> fresh tomatoes?
>
> I presume that excellent, fresh, very ripe plum tomatoes is expected
> to be far better than anything made from canned tomato products?
>
> Please share your feelings on tomato selection for sauces.

The only time I use fresh tomatoes for sauce is at the peak of tomato
season. Otherwise canned is better. I prefer San Marzanos.

Blair P. Houghton

Thomas Reat > wrote:
>Will good canned tomatoes produce a better marinara sauce than poor
>fresh tomatoes?

Yes.

>I presume that excellent, fresh, very ripe plum tomatoes is expected
>to be far better than anything made from canned tomato products?

Well, sure, but if you have those, you aren't bothering with
the canned ones.

>Please share your feelings on tomato selection for sauces.

Passata (pureed tomatoes) from San Marzano beats any
Romas you'll find in an American supermarket produce bin.
And even then, you're going to get a bad batch once in
a while.

--Blair
"Glad Parmalat bit the organic soil."
Blair P. Houghton

Thomas Reat > wrote:
>Will good canned tomatoes produce a better marinara sauce than poor
>fresh tomatoes?

Yes.

>I presume that excellent, fresh, very ripe plum tomatoes is expected
>to be far better than anything made from canned tomato products?

Well, sure, but if you have those, you aren't bothering with
the canned ones.

>Please share your feelings on tomato selection for sauces.

Passata (pureed tomatoes) from San Marzano beats any
Romas you'll find in an American supermarket produce bin.
And even then, you're going to get a bad batch once in
a while.

--Blair
"Glad Parmalat bit the organic soil."

Levelwave

Thomas Reat wrote:

> Will good canned tomatoes produce a better marinara sauce than poor
> fresh tomatoes?
>
> I presume that excellent, fresh, very ripe plum tomatoes is expected
> to be far better than anything made from canned tomato products?
>
> Please share your feelings on tomato selection for sauces

I usually prefer whole plum canned tomatoes to fresh tomatos for making
"Marinara Sauce"... Even more so if you're talking about those of the
stupidmarket gas ripened variety... And even yet if we're talking Garden
Fresh Tomatoes - I have found nothing better than to simply slice them
and serve them with salt...

~john
Levelwave

Thomas Reat wrote:

> Will good canned tomatoes produce a better marinara sauce than poor
> fresh tomatoes?
>
> I presume that excellent, fresh, very ripe plum tomatoes is expected
> to be far better than anything made from canned tomato products?
>
> Please share your feelings on tomato selection for sauces

I usually prefer whole plum canned tomatoes to fresh tomatos for making
"Marinara Sauce"... Even more so if you're talking about those of the
stupidmarket gas ripened variety... And even yet if we're talking Garden
Fresh Tomatoes - I have found nothing better than to simply slice them
and serve them with salt...

~john
Peter Aitken

"Thomas Reat" > wrote in message
om...
> Will good canned tomatoes produce a better marinara sauce than poor
> fresh tomatoes?
>
> I presume that excellent, fresh, very ripe plum tomatoes is expected
> to be far better than anything made from canned tomato products?
>
> Please share your feelings on tomato selection for sauces.

Yes indeed. Canned tomatoes can be very good. The problem is that price is
not a good indication of just how good. I've had expensive imported canned
tomatoes that were pretty poor - but some are of course excellent. I find
Hunt's to be reliably very good. You need to experiment and find a brand
that you like. But, you can't beat sauce made with top quality tomatoes
fresh from the garden. When you are lucky wnough to have these, you want to
make a really simple sauce.

--
Peter Aitken

Peter Aitken

"Thomas Reat" > wrote in message
om...
> Will good canned tomatoes produce a better marinara sauce than poor
> fresh tomatoes?
>
> I presume that excellent, fresh, very ripe plum tomatoes is expected
> to be far better than anything made from canned tomato products?
>
> Please share your feelings on tomato selection for sauces.

Yes indeed. Canned tomatoes can be very good. The problem is that price is
not a good indication of just how good. I've had expensive imported canned
tomatoes that were pretty poor - but some are of course excellent. I find
Hunt's to be reliably very good. You need to experiment and find a brand
that you like. But, you can't beat sauce made with top quality tomatoes
fresh from the garden. When you are lucky wnough to have these, you want to
make a really simple sauce.

--
Peter Aitken

Kent H.

You go to the produce mart in your city during the tomato season and buy
a lug of Romas[about 25lb]. You make your sauce, which would be another
long thread, freeze it, and it will beat any canned product, and it will
last at least one year.
Happy Sabbath, even to the unbelievers,
Kent

Thomas Reat wrote:

> Will good canned tomatoes produce a better marinara sauce than poor
> fresh tomatoes?
>
> I presume that excellent, fresh, very ripe plum tomatoes is expected
> to be far better than anything made from canned tomato products?
>
> Please share your feelings on tomato selection for sauces.

Kent H.

Thomas Reat wrote:

> Will good canned tomatoes produce a better marinara sauce than poor
> fresh tomatoes?
>
> I presume that excellent, fresh, very ripe plum tomatoes is expected
> to be far better than anything made from canned tomato products?
>
> Please share your feelings on tomato selection for sauces.

jmcquown

Thomas Reat wrote:
> Will good canned tomatoes produce a better marinara sauce than poor
> fresh tomatoes?
>
> I presume that excellent, fresh, very ripe plum tomatoes is expected
> to be far better than anything made from canned tomato products?
>
> Please share your feelings on tomato selection for sauces.

Silly question If the fresh tomatoes are 'poor' then of course canned
will make a better sauce.

Jill

jmcquown

Thomas Reat wrote:
> Will good canned tomatoes produce a better marinara sauce than poor
> fresh tomatoes?
>
> I presume that excellent, fresh, very ripe plum tomatoes is expected
> to be far better than anything made from canned tomato products?
>
> Please share your feelings on tomato selection for sauces.

Silly question If the fresh tomatoes are 'poor' then of course canned
will make a better sauce.

Jill

zxcvbob

Thomas Reat wrote:

> Will good canned tomatoes produce a better marinara sauce than poor
> fresh tomatoes?
>
> I presume that excellent, fresh, very ripe plum tomatoes is expected
> to be far better than anything made from canned tomato products?
>
> Please share your feelings on tomato selection for sauces.

Canned is better. Seriously. Unless you are doing some kind of *very*
quick cooked sauce with fresh tomatoes and fresh basil where you want the
fresh tomato taste. (but that wouldn't be marinara).

-Bob
zxcvbob

Thomas Reat wrote:

> Will good canned tomatoes produce a better marinara sauce than poor
> fresh tomatoes?
>
> I presume that excellent, fresh, very ripe plum tomatoes is expected
> to be far better than anything made from canned tomato products?
>
> Please share your feelings on tomato selection for sauces.

Canned is better. Seriously. Unless you are doing some kind of *very*
quick cooked sauce with fresh tomatoes and fresh basil where you want the
fresh tomato taste. (but that wouldn't be marinara).

-Bob

Katra

In article >,
zxcvbob > wrote:

> Thomas Reat wrote:
>
> > Will good canned tomatoes produce a better marinara sauce than poor
> > fresh tomatoes?
> >
> > I presume that excellent, fresh, very ripe plum tomatoes is expected
> > to be far better than anything made from canned tomato products?
> >
> > Please share your feelings on tomato selection for sauces.

> Canned is better. Seriously. Unless you are doing some kind of *very*
> quick cooked sauce with fresh tomatoes and fresh basil where you want the
> fresh tomato taste. (but that wouldn't be marinara).
>
> -Bob

No, that'd be more like fresh pizza sauce! I agree! :-)

Nothing better tho' IMHO.

Take a large Boboli crust and get about 1 lb. of fresh ripe romas.
Blance and peel, then chop them fairly fine. Add fresh minced oregano,
basil, ground tri-color pepper, a touch of fresh thyme and mix well with
the tomatoes and spread that over the boboli crust. Add salt to taste.

Take some fresh italian sausage and cook that up in the skillet and mash
so that it's fairly fine, or you can make little meatballs out of it.
Spread that evenly over the fresh sauce. Take 1 lb. of sliced fresh
mushrooms and evenly distribute those over the sausage layer. Add other
toppings as desired. I also like sliced canned black olives.

Drown the entire top of that mess with grated mozarella cheese and some
fresh grated parmesen.

Bake in the oven at 400 degrees until the cheese is melted and bubbling.

Cool and enjoy!

I just _love_ making a fresh sauce for pizza! This also goes well over
pasta, or even baked chicken.

K.

--
Sprout the Mung Bean to reply...

"There are many intelligent species in the universe, and they are all owned by cats! -- Asimov

Katra