Posted to rec.food.cooking

Default Why canned food is not as good as fresh

"Jeßus" > wrote in message
> On Sun, 17 May 2015 15:30:00 -0700, "Julie Bove"
> > wrote:
>

>>"dsi1" > wrote in message
>>
>>In this part of the world, Chinese food just turns icky soon after it's
>>served.

> Haha... thanks for that Julie
> Bothell dares to be different again.

I did not sayt that. That was the Hawaiin guy. ds1 or dsl or whatever his
name is.

>>I can't think of any that would be much good the next day.
>>Here, if you order Chinese food you usually get so much that there will be
>>leftovers. I think the rice is fine the next day, as well as things that
>>aren't breaded.

> Umm...

Posted to rec.food.cooking

"JRStern" > wrote in message
> On Sun, 17 May 2015 12:45:38 -0700 (PDT), dsi1 >
> wrote:
>
>>> Just like a lot of Chinese food really *is* better the next day, it
>>> benefits in many ways from the time it takes the ingredients to
>>> interact.

>>In this part of the world, Chinese food just turns icky soon after it's
>>served.

> Really? I thought it was general consensus that the leftover stuff is
> really good the next day or two, assuming you get it in the fridge not
> that long after it's made and served, and in sealed containers, and
> it's usually also best eaten cold, I've never found a consistent way
> to reheat it and still have it taste good.

There are many dishes under the umbrella of Chinese food. I would think
that a steamed Hum Bow would not be so good the day after. A baked one
probably wouldn't be as good as fresh either but would be better than the
steamed. And anything that is supposed to be crisp would be less so upon
reheating.

> Fried rice, twice cooked pork, chicken in black bean sauce, eggplant,
> bok choi and black mushrooms, shrimp and veggies, honey walnut shrimp,
> kung pao whatever, mu shu whatever, all do great ... OK the egg fu
> yung (sp) I tried recently wasn't good cold, but it wasn't good hot
> either. Sweet and sour pork/chicken might not do as well with the
> breading.
>
> Probably better if it's not too oily or salty to begin with, but it's
> probably better if it's not too oil or salty to begin with.

Yes. Alas at most of the restaurants here, they tend to Americanize the
food. Most things are made breaded and fried. I wonder how much authentic
Chinese food is made that way? Probably not a lot.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

"Bruce" > wrote in message
> On Sun, 17 May 2015 12:45:38 -0700 (PDT), dsi1 >
> wrote:
>
>>I don't have any problem with canned foods. The reason it's fallen out of
>>favor
>>is because most everybody has refrigeration and access to fresh stuff.
>>Take that away from people and canned foods will be a godsend. Canned
>>foods are important during disasters and wars. It was originally
>>designed to support military troops in the field and it still serves
>>that purpose well, over 200 years later. Anybody that looks down on
>>can foods have had too easy of a life. The reality is that canned
>>foods have sustained life, not shortened it.

> It's wonderful how you're always prepared for famine, disaster and
> war, but why not start eating survival food when they actually occur?

It's not just survival food. However, I was thinking about this the other
day. They have declared Washington state to be in a drought and they said
that food prices will skyrocket this year and be even worse next year. I
don't know if this will affect the whole country or just us here.

So I decided to stock up while prices are still cheap. Right now I can get
the 15 oz. or thereabouts size cans of veggies for somewhere in the vicinity
of 50 to 60 cents per can at some stores. I can not be brand loyal to get
this price.

But... It also occurred to me that when the weather gets warmer, canned
food is not what I want to eat. Sure, I do like baked beans or a bean salad
and I am fine with using canned then. But mostly I prefer cold, raw or room
temp. veggies during the warmer months.

I am fine with eating canned during the winter. Perhaps because that is
what I grew up eating. Now my friend grew up eating only fresh or frozen.
Her parents had no car. They lived in the city and on a bus route. Her mom
didn't do big grocery shops very often. She stopped on the way home from
work and chose foods that were lighter in weight because she had to carry
them on the bus. My mom did a big shop every week and bought a lot of
canned stuff.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Sunday, May 17, 2015 at 11:32:56 AM UTC-10, Roy wrote:
> On Sunday, May 17, 2015 at 3:22:30 PM UTC-6, dsi1 wrote:

> > > Very well said. The only veg I prefer canned is sweet corn (ie corn off the
> > > cob) but in lean times. who knows what we would be grateful for.
> > >

> > > --
> > > http://www.helpforheroes.org.uk/shop/

> > I was looking for some canned corn last night but alas, the cupboard was bare. If I had a cornfield behind the condo, I would have gone out into the warm tropical night and picked it. Unfortunately, there is no field back there. OTOH, I'm not that big on veggies. Rice would be my favorite vegetable. Hee hee.

> Canned goods have been a godsend since I discharged my cook, serving maids and
> my butler. They must be still popular as most grocery stores have a super abundance of food products all contained inside of tinned cans. Quality is
> quite good as well and for the most part is not rotten or filled with vile
> tasting content.
> =======

I got some canned soup so that I could save some time and money by eating something cheap and microwavable at the office for lunch. It provides 2 lunches for $1.25 per serving - what a deal! It was some kind of spicy chicken gumbo and boy was it tasty! It sure beats that instant cup noodle that I usually eat.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Sunday, May 17, 2015 at 12:30:06 PM UTC-10, Julie Bove wrote:
> "dsi1" <> wrote in message
>

> In this part of the world, Chinese food just turns icky soon after it's
> served. I can't think of any that would be much good the next day. Stuffed
> bittermelon might be OK but that's the only dish I can think of at the
> moment. Give me some time to think of others. :-)
>
> I don't have any problem with canned foods. The reason it's fallen out of
> favor is because most everybody has refrigeration and access to fresh stuff.
> Take that away from people and canned foods will be a godsend. Canned foods
> are important during disasters and wars. It was originally designed to
> support military troops in the field and it still serves that purpose well,
> over 200 years later. Anybody that looks down on can foods have had too easy
> of a life. The reality is that canned foods have sustained life, not
> shortened it.
>
> ---
>
> Here, if you order Chinese food you usually get so much that there will be
> leftovers. I think the rice is fine the next day, as well as things that
> aren't breaded. I don't think they are any better the next day though.
>
> When I lived on Cape Cod, I learned to live on canned food through the
> winter. There just wasn't any good fresh produce available then for any
> price, anywhere. That may have changed. I could buy some things like
> carrots, potatoes and onions and they were okay but no celery, peppers,
> tomatoes, greens... Any that were available were brown or mushy or in some
> other way just not fresh.
>
> In NY I also bought dried foods, but did eat a lot of canned vegetables as
> well. Once again the problem came in winter. Some good produce could be at
> at some stores but none near where I lived.
>
> And that canned stuff got us through during the power outage in the summer.
> It was so hot and muggy that everyone pretty much felt sick from that and
> didn't want to eat much. There was no way to cool off because the outage
> was so wide spread. There was no way to cool off anything. We pretty much
> lived off of nuts and canned vegetables. I'd open a can of green beans or
> kidney beans a couple of times a day and we'd split it three ways. Eaten at
> room temp. which was pretty warm because we had no way of heating them.
>
> Even after power was restored, we were all urged to eat nothing but canned
> foods and to avoid restaurants for two weeks. Why? Unscrupulous grocers
> and restaurants were trying to sell or serve us spoiled food. All fresh or
> frozen food had to be thrown out and all surfaces scrubbed down before fresh
> food could be brought it. Inspectors were checking for this.

I'm glad you made it. Back in the old days, you'd have to eat rabbit and wild hickory nuts. :-)

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Sun, 17 May 2015 18:00:41 -0700, "Julie Bove"
> wrote:

>I am fine with eating canned during the winter.

Here in the big city you can't really tell from what's for sale in the
market what season it is. Between Mexican farms and greenhouses, and
an immense amount of fresh (?!) food brought in from Chile and even
Thailand and who knows where, most previously seasonal stuff is
available 365 or close to it.

TJ's is selling fresh apples now, says product of USA so I assume
they've been in storage for six months, but they looked great and I
tried some and there were great! A couple of different varieties of
gala-ish apples, smaller sizes.

Actually I went to TJ's the other day just for fresh veggies, pretty
amazing right there. Mostly the pre-bagged stuff, romaine hearts,
organic beets, shiitaki mushrooms, celery hearts, I've bought a lot of
fresh tomatoes at TJ's but am currently sort of off them, ... and OK I
also got some frozen breakfast burritos, my current indulgence.

Very little canned stuff I get at TJs, the salmon, and ... I used to
get a lot of their chilis, not terrible, but haven't been doing that
recently either. Bottled olives and pickles. Lot of frozen stuff.
"Fresh" nuts in bags. Baked goods. Vitamins. Pasta. Eggs and
dairy. They don't have a whole lot of canned stuff, not their image,
among other things. They discontinued a three(four?)-bean salad I
used to get.

J.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Sunday, May 17, 2015 at 2:51:03 PM UTC-10, Julie Bove wrote:
> "JRStern" > wrote in message

> >>In this part of the world, Chinese food just turns icky soon after it's
> >>served.

> > Really? I thought it was general consensus that the leftover stuff is
> > really good the next day or two, assuming you get it in the fridge not
> > that long after it's made and served, and in sealed containers, and
> > it's usually also best eaten cold, I've never found a consistent way
> > to reheat it and still have it taste good.

> There are many dishes under the umbrella of Chinese food. I would think
> that a steamed Hum Bow would not be so good the day after. A baked one
> probably wouldn't be as good as fresh either but would be better than the
> steamed. And anything that is supposed to be crisp would be less so upon
> reheating.
> >
> > Fried rice, twice cooked pork, chicken in black bean sauce, eggplant,
> > bok choi and black mushrooms, shrimp and veggies, honey walnut shrimp,
> > kung pao whatever, mu shu whatever, all do great ... OK the egg fu
> > yung (sp) I tried recently wasn't good cold, but it wasn't good hot
> > either. Sweet and sour pork/chicken might not do as well with the
> > breading.
> >
> > Probably better if it's not too oily or salty to begin with, but it's
> > probably better if it's not too oil or salty to begin with.

> Yes. Alas at most of the restaurants here, they tend to Americanize the
> food. Most things are made breaded and fried. I wonder how much authentic
> Chinese food is made that way? Probably not a lot.

My thinking is that foods that have been steamed or fried quickly don't take well to reheating. I don't care much for refrigerated rice. That's just me. I don't want to discourage people from eating days old Chinese food.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Sunday, May 17, 2015 at 12:52:38 PM UTC-10, Bruce wrote:
> On Sun, 17 May 2015 12:45:38 -0700 (PDT), dsi1 <>
> wrote:
>
> >I don't have any problem with canned foods. The reason it's fallen out of favor
> >is because most everybody has refrigeration and access to fresh stuff.
> >Take that away from people and canned foods will be a godsend. Canned
> >foods are important during disasters and wars. It was originally
> >designed to support military troops in the field and it still serves
> >that purpose well, over 200 years later. Anybody that looks down on
> >can foods have had too easy of a life. The reality is that canned
> >foods have sustained life, not shortened it.

> It's wonderful how you're always prepared for famine, disaster and
> war, but why not start eating survival food when they actually occur?
>
> --
> Bruce

That's some pretty good advice right there!
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Sun, 17 May 2015 17:46:43 -0700, "Julie Bove"
> wrote:

>"Jeßus" > wrote in message
.. .
>> On Sun, 17 May 2015 15:30:00 -0700, "Julie Bove"
>> > wrote:
>>>"dsi1" > wrote in message
>>>
>>>In this part of the world, Chinese food just turns icky soon after it's
>>>served.

>> Haha... thanks for that Julie
>> Bothell dares to be different again.

>I did not sayt that. That was the Hawaiin guy. ds1 or dsl or whatever his
>name is.

Oh, right you are. Of course, you're using windows live mail (I don't
even need to check), aren't you? It doesn't give proper attributions,
which is why I thought it was your comment. It would be nice for
everyone here if you changed to a proper newsreader...

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Sun, 17 May 2015 18:34:20 -0700 (PDT), dsi1 >
wrote:

>> > Probably better if it's not too oily or salty to begin with, but it's
>> > probably better if it's not too oily or salty to begin with.

>> Yes. Alas at most of the restaurants here, they tend to Americanize the
>> food. Most things are made breaded and fried. I wonder how much authentic
>> Chinese food is made that way? Probably not a lot.

>My thinking is that foods that have been steamed or fried quickly don't take well to reheating. I don't care much for refrigerated rice. That's just me. I don't want to discourage people from eating days old Chinese food.

The fried rice from my local joint is outstanding cold four to
forty-eight hours later.

White rice not so much, though it can still be good enough to soak up
cold sauce.

Most Chinese food is cooked so quickly I'm not shocked by the idea
that some of it benefits from more "marinating" time, even after the
fact.

None of my usual dishes are breaded or fried, other than "fried" rice.

Dim sum is a whole other category, where most everything is breaded or
fried, but I have no local dim sum places that I frequent, and I don't
think I've ever taken any home from others. OTOH some of the TJ's
frozen dim sum aren't horrible, and I just microwave some of the
frozen gyoza and they're pretty good, so you never know.

J.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On 5/17/2015 7:34 PM, dsi1 wrote:
> On Sunday, May 17, 2015 at 2:51:03 PM UTC-10, Julie Bove wrote:
>> "JRStern" > wrote in message

>>> Really? I thought it was general consensus that the leftover stuff is
>>> really good the next day or two, assuming you get it in the fridge not
>>> that long after it's made and served, and in sealed containers, and
>>> it's usually also best eaten cold, I've never found a consistent way
>>> to reheat it and still have it taste good.

>> There are many dishes under the umbrella of Chinese food. I would think
>> that a steamed Hum Bow would not be so good the day after. A baked one
>> probably wouldn't be as good as fresh either but would be better than the
>> steamed. And anything that is supposed to be crisp would be less so upon
>> reheating.
>>>
>>> Fried rice, twice cooked pork, chicken in black bean sauce, eggplant,
>>> bok choi and black mushrooms, shrimp and veggies, honey walnut shrimp,
>>> kung pao whatever, mu shu whatever, all do great ... OK the egg fu
>>> yung (sp) I tried recently wasn't good cold, but it wasn't good hot
>>> either. Sweet and sour pork/chicken might not do as well with the
>>> breading.
>>>
>>> Probably better if it's not too oily or salty to begin with, but it's
>>> probably better if it's not too oil or salty to begin with.

>> Yes. Alas at most of the restaurants here, they tend to Americanize the
>> food. Most things are made breaded and fried. I wonder how much authentic
>> Chinese food is made that way? Probably not a lot.

> My thinking is that foods that have been steamed or fried quickly don't take well to reheating. I don't care much for refrigerated rice. That's just me. I don't want to discourage people from eating days old Chinese food.

1 day old = breakfast.

Yum!
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Sunday, May 17, 2015 at 5:43:48 PM UTC-10, JRStern wrote:

> >> Yes. Alas at most of the restaurants here, they tend to Americanize the
> >> food. Most things are made breaded and fried. I wonder how much authentic
> >> Chinese food is made that way? Probably not a lot.

> >My thinking is that foods that have been steamed or fried quickly don't take well to reheating. I don't care much for refrigerated rice. That's just me. I don't want to discourage people from eating days old Chinese food.

> The fried rice from my local joint is outstanding cold four to
> forty-eight hours later.
>
> White rice not so much, though it can still be good enough to soak up
> cold sauce.
>
> Most Chinese food is cooked so quickly I'm not shocked by the idea
> that some of it benefits from more "marinating" time, even after the
> fact.
>
> None of my usual dishes are breaded or fried, other than "fried" rice.
>
> Dim sum is a whole other category, where most everything is breaded or
> fried, but I have no local dim sum places that I frequent, and I don't
> think I've ever taken any home from others. OTOH some of the TJ's
> frozen dim sum aren't horrible, and I just microwave some of the
> frozen gyoza and they're pretty good, so you never know.
>
> J.

I could go for some Chinese food right now! Who wouldn't!? Anyway, I'm gonna fry up some aku bones for dinner - you probably think I'm kidding but I'm not! :-)
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On 5/17/2015 11:07 PM, dsi1 wrote:
> On Sunday, May 17, 2015 at 5:43:48 PM UTC-10, JRStern wrote:

>>> My thinking is that foods that have been steamed or fried quickly don't take well to reheating. I don't care much for refrigerated rice. That's just me. I don't want to discourage people from eating days old Chinese food.

>> The fried rice from my local joint is outstanding cold four to
>> forty-eight hours later.
>>
>> White rice not so much, though it can still be good enough to soak up
>> cold sauce.
>>
>> Most Chinese food is cooked so quickly I'm not shocked by the idea
>> that some of it benefits from more "marinating" time, even after the
>> fact.
>>
>> None of my usual dishes are breaded or fried, other than "fried" rice.
>>
>> Dim sum is a whole other category, where most everything is breaded or
>> fried, but I have no local dim sum places that I frequent, and I don't
>> think I've ever taken any home from others. OTOH some of the TJ's
>> frozen dim sum aren't horrible, and I just microwave some of the
>> frozen gyoza and they're pretty good, so you never know.
>>
>> J.

> I could go for some Chinese food right now! Who wouldn't!? Anyway, I'm gonna fry up some aku bones for dinner - you probably think I'm kidding but I'm not! :-)

Nice!
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Sunday, May 17, 2015 at 6:47:55 PM UTC-10, Cabrito del Bosque wrote:
> On 5/17/2015 7:34 PM, dsi1 wrote:

> >> There are many dishes under the umbrella of Chinese food. I would think
> >> that a steamed Hum Bow would not be so good the day after. A baked one
> >> probably wouldn't be as good as fresh either but would be better than the
> >> steamed. And anything that is supposed to be crisp would be less so upon
> >> reheating.

> >> Yes. Alas at most of the restaurants here, they tend to Americanize the
> >> food. Most things are made breaded and fried. I wonder how much authentic
> >> Chinese food is made that way? Probably not a lot.

> > My thinking is that foods that have been steamed or fried quickly don't take well to reheating. I don't care much for refrigerated rice. That's just me. I don't want to discourage people from eating days old Chinese food.
> >

> 1 day old = breakfast.
>
> Yum!

The other day I made fried rice using the Hawaiian garlic shrimp we had for dinner previous. Holy crap, that was just stupendous! It was better than the night before. Thank you Jesus!
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On 5/17/2015 11:11 PM, dsi1 wrote:
> On Sunday, May 17, 2015 at 6:47:55 PM UTC-10, Cabrito del Bosque wrote:

>>> My thinking is that foods that have been steamed or fried quickly don't take well to reheating. I don't care much for refrigerated rice. That's just me. I don't want to discourage people from eating days old Chinese food.
>>>

>> 1 day old = breakfast.
>>
>> Yum!

> The other day I made fried rice using the Hawaiian garlic shrimp we had for dinner previous. Holy crap, that was just stupendous! It was better than the night before. Thank you Jesus!

I surely wish I had been there for that.

I like to make up Thai rice, dry it on a cookie sheet and toss in
whatever is timely.

Lately that has been prawns, shitakes, and Chinese sausage.

Oh so good.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Sunday, May 17, 2015 at 7:15:38 PM UTC-10, Cabrito del Bosque wrote:
> On 5/17/2015 11:11 PM, dsi1 wrote:

> >> 1 day old = breakfast.
> >>
> >> Yum!

> > The other day I made fried rice using the Hawaiian garlic shrimp we had for dinner previous. Holy crap, that was just stupendous! It was better than the night before. Thank you Jesus!
> >

> I surely wish I had been there for that.
>
> I like to make up Thai rice, dry it on a cookie sheet and toss in
> whatever is timely.
>
> Lately that has been prawns, shitakes, and Chinese sausage.
>
> Oh so good.

Sounds like a most beautiful and wondrous thing!
Posted to rec.food.cooking

"Cabrito del Bosque" > wrote in message
> On 5/17/2015 2:52 PM, Ophelia wrote:

>>> Spam of course!

>> Hmmm I might have to go vegetarian
>>

> Beans?

Well, when I say, vegetarian, only so far as spam ...

--
http://www.helpforheroes.org.uk/shop/

Posted to rec.food.cooking

"dsi1" > wrote in message
> On Sunday, May 17, 2015 at 10:49:53 AM UTC-10, Ophelia wrote:

>> > In this part of the world, Chinese food just turns icky soon after it's
>> > served. I can't think of any that would be much good the next day.
>> > Stuffed bittermelon might be OK but that's the only dish I can think of
>> > at
>> > the moment. Give me some time to think of others. :-)
>> >
>> > I don't have any problem with canned foods. The reason it's fallen out
>> > of
>> > favor is because most everybody has refrigeration and access to fresh
>> > stuff. Take that away from people and canned foods will be a godsend.
>> > Canned foods are important during disasters and wars. It was originally
>> > designed to support military troops in the field and it still serves
>> > that
>> > purpose well, over 200 years later. Anybody that looks down on can
>> > foods
>> > have had too easy of a life. The reality is that canned foods have
>> > sustained life, not shortened it.

>> Very well said. The only veg I prefer canned is sweet corn (ie corn off
>> the
>> cob) but in lean times. who knows what we would be grateful for.
>>

> I was looking for some canned corn last night but alas, the cupboard was
> bare. If I had a cornfield behind the condo, I would have gone out into
> the warm tropical night and picked it. Unfortunately, there is no field
> back there. OTOH, I'm not that big on veggies. Rice would be my favorite
> vegetable. Hee hee.

Do you like canned corn?

--
http://www.helpforheroes.org.uk/shop/

Posted to rec.food.cooking

"Roy" > wrote in message
> On Sunday, May 17, 2015 at 3:22:30 PM UTC-6, dsi1 wrote:

>> > Very well said. The only veg I prefer canned is sweet corn (ie corn
>> > off the
>> > cob) but in lean times. who knows what we would be grateful for.
>> >

>> > --
>> > http://www.helpforheroes.org.uk/shop/

>> I was looking for some canned corn last night but alas, the cupboard was
>> bare. If I had a cornfield behind the condo, I would have gone out into
>> the warm tropical night and picked it. Unfortunately, there is no field
>> back there. OTOH, I'm not that big on veggies. Rice would be my favorite
>> vegetable. Hee hee.

> Canned goods have been a godsend since I discharged my cook, serving maids
> and
> my butler. They must be still popular as most grocery stores have a super
> abundance of food products all contained inside of tinned cans. Quality is
> quite good as well and for the most part is not rotten or filled with vile
> tasting content.
> =======

I don't like canned carrots or beans but I've never had a can which was
rotten or tasted vile.

--
http://www.helpforheroes.org.uk/shop/

Posted to rec.food.cooking

"Bruce" > wrote in message
> On Sun, 17 May 2015 12:45:38 -0700 (PDT), dsi1 >
> wrote:
>
>>I don't have any problem with canned foods. The reason it's fallen out of
>>favor
>>is because most everybody has refrigeration and access to fresh stuff.
>>Take that away from people and canned foods will be a godsend. Canned
>>foods are important during disasters and wars. It was originally
>>designed to support military troops in the field and it still serves
>>that purpose well, over 200 years later. Anybody that looks down on
>>can foods have had too easy of a life. The reality is that canned
>>foods have sustained life, not shortened it.

> It's wonderful how you're always prepared for famine, disaster and
> war, but why not start eating survival food when they actually occur?

We keep a good store of dried and canned stuff and of course I have to
rotate it somewhat, but fortunately it doesn't have to be done too often

--
http://www.helpforheroes.org.uk/shop/

Posted to rec.food.cooking

"Bruce" > wrote in message
> On Mon, 18 May 2015 11:03:04 +0100, "Ophelia" >
> wrote:
>

>>"Bruce" > wrote in message
. ..

>>> It's wonderful how you're always prepared for famine, disaster and
>>> war, but why not start eating survival food when they actually occur?

>>We keep a good store of dried and canned stuff and of course I have to
>>rotate it somewhat, but fortunately it doesn't have to be done too often

> I guess one doesn't want to eat survival rotation food all the time or
> surviving wouldn't be much fun.

lol one way of putting it. But one thing, some folk I have read about seem
to think that anything will do for storage so long as they have that back
up, but they need to understand, if you don't like it before you need it,
you sure as heck won't like it after) So, eating 'storage' food isn't bad
but fresh is nicer

--
http://www.helpforheroes.org.uk/shop/

Posted to rec.food.cooking

"Ophelia" > wrote in message

> "Roy" > wrote in message

>>> I was looking for some canned corn last night but alas, the cupboard was
>>> bare. If I had a cornfield behind the condo, I would have gone out into
>>> the warm tropical night and picked it. Unfortunately, there is no field
>>> back there. OTOH, I'm not that big on veggies. Rice would be my favorite
>>> vegetable. Hee hee.

>> Canned goods have been a godsend since I discharged my cook, serving
>> maids and
>> my butler. They must be still popular as most grocery stores have a super
>> abundance of food products all contained inside of tinned cans. Quality
>> is
>> quite good as well and for the most part is not rotten or filled with
>> vile
>> tasting content.
>> =======

> I don't like canned carrots or beans but I've never had a can which was
> rotten or tasted vile.

I do not care for canned spinach or asparagus. And apparently not Vegall.
I used to buy that for a casserole that I made with pasta, plum tomatoes,
cheese and wine. I don't know if they changed it or what but blech. Tastes
very heavily of canned carrots and the texture is mush. As carrots go,
canned would have to be my least favorite way of eating them. I don't
really mind them but we almost always seem to have raw ones in the house so
no need for them.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

"Bruce" > wrote in message
> On Mon, 18 May 2015 11:41:52 +0100, "Ophelia" >
> wrote:
>

>>"Bruce" > wrote in message
. ..
> [...]
m...

>>> I guess one doesn't want to eat survival rotation food all the time or
>>> surviving wouldn't be much fun.

>>lol one way of putting it. But one thing, some folk I have read about seem
>>to think that anything will do for storage so long as they have that back
>>up, but they need to understand, if you don't like it before you need it,
>>you sure as heck won't like it after) So, eating 'storage' food isn't
>>bad
>>but fresh is nicer

> But in most countries that disaster will never hit, unless it's a 1 or
> 2 day power outage or flood or similar, so it's more psychological
> anyway

If you can't get out for some reason; have a big bill or want to buy
something and not break into savings ... I have always kept good stock in
and has served me well

--
http://www.helpforheroes.org.uk/shop/

Posted to rec.food.cooking

"Bruce" > wrote in message
> On Mon, 18 May 2015 11:03:04 +0100, "Ophelia" >
> wrote:
>

>>"Bruce" > wrote in message
. ..

>>> It's wonderful how you're always prepared for famine, disaster and
>>> war, but why not start eating survival food when they actually occur?

>>We keep a good store of dried and canned stuff and of course I have to
>>rotate it somewhat, but fortunately it doesn't have to be done too often

> I guess one doesn't want to eat survival rotation food all the time or
> surviving wouldn't be much fun.

I would assume if you lived in an isolated area like parts of Alaska or were
stuck on a ship that was out to sea for extended periods of time, you might
have to depend on them.

When I was attempting to eat the raw vegan diet, some of those people were
so hard core they said that if a disaster befell them, they would simply
fast and eat nothing. They considered that better than eating what they
considered to be poison.

Weird thing is that many of them claimed to have relatives who never ate any
raw food and insisted only on eating cooked food. I really find that hard
to believe. Never had any fresh fruit juice? An apple? A salad? But I do
know of one person who is no longer with us who would not touch raw food in
later years. He claimed to have lost a leg due to a nematode from his own
garden. He also thought that people were constantly trying to hack into his
computer so...

Posted to rec.food.cooking

"Ophelia" > wrote in message

> "Bruce" > wrote in message
>> On Mon, 18 May 2015 11:03:04 +0100, "Ophelia" >
>> wrote:

>>>We keep a good store of dried and canned stuff and of course I have to
>>>rotate it somewhat, but fortunately it doesn't have to be done too
>>>often

>> I guess one doesn't want to eat survival rotation food all the time or
>> surviving wouldn't be much fun.

> lol one way of putting it. But one thing, some folk I have read about seem
> to think that anything will do for storage so long as they have that back
> up, but they need to understand, if you don't like it before you need it,
> you sure as heck won't like it after) So, eating 'storage' food isn't
> bad but fresh is nicer

Oh yes! That's one reason why I don't buy those emergency buckets. Winco
sometimes has them for a very good price. Would be great for someone who
isn't a picky eater or who doesn't have other food issues. There's just too
much in them that we can't or won't eat.

Now that I am no longer living in military housing, I feel there would be
less need to evacuate. When we lived there we were strongly urged to keep
things at the ready. So I kept a large, wheeled suitcase by the front door
packed with food, clothing and other emergency supplies plus some gallons of
water.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On 2015-05-18 7:53 AM, Bruce wrote:
> On Mon, 18 May 2015 04:08:58 -0700, "Julie Bove"

>> When I was attempting to eat the raw vegan diet, some of those people were
>> so hard core they said that if a disaster befell them, they would simply
>> fast and eat nothing. They considered that better than eating what they
>> considered to be poison.

> Even though the poison would keep them alive.

You're talking Julie's peers It is a very shallow area of the gene pool
and they would be doing the world a favour.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

Julie, get a Coleman stove to use when the power is off and have hot veggies.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

"Bruce" > wrote in message
> On Mon, 18 May 2015 12:05:18 +0100, "Ophelia" >
> wrote:
>

>>"Bruce" > wrote in message
. ..
> [...]
m...

>>> But in most countries that disaster will never hit, unless it's a 1 or
>>> 2 day power outage or flood or similar, so it's more psychological
>>> anyway

>>If you can't get out for some reason; have a big bill or want to buy
>>something and not break into savings ... I have always kept good stock in
>>and has served me well

> True. We sometimes get cut of by floods and there are monster flus
> lurking out there.

A case in point errrr wassa flus?

--
http://www.helpforheroes.org.uk/shop/

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On 5/18/2015 1:29 AM, dsi1 wrote:
> On Sunday, May 17, 2015 at 7:15:38 PM UTC-10, Cabrito del Bosque wrote:

>>> The other day I made fried rice using the Hawaiian garlic shrimp we had for dinner previous. Holy crap, that was just stupendous! It was better than the night before. Thank you Jesus!
>>>

>> I surely wish I had been there for that.
>>
>> I like to make up Thai rice, dry it on a cookie sheet and toss in
>> whatever is timely.
>>
>> Lately that has been prawns, shitakes, and Chinese sausage.
>>
>> Oh so good.

> Sounds like a most beautiful and wondrous thing!

Oh yes, indubitably so!
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On 5/17/2015 9:57 PM, Ophelia wrote:

> "dsi1" > wrote in message

>>> are

>>> identical,

>>> in >> >and
>>> can't >> >get

>>> it's
>>> think of > at

>>> out > of
>>> originally
>>> serves > that
>>>
>>> Very well said. The only veg I prefer canned is sweet corn (ie corn
>>> off the
>>> cob) but in lean times. who knows what we would be grateful for.
>>>

>> I was looking for some canned corn last night but alas, the cupboard
>> was bare. If I had a cornfield behind the condo, I would have gone out
>> into the warm tropical night and picked it. Unfortunately, there is no
>> field back there. OTOH, I'm not that big on veggies. Rice would be my
>> favorite vegetable. Hee hee.

> Do you like canned corn?

Typically, if I open a can and see corn, I'm happy.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On 5/18/2015 12:03 AM, Ophelia wrote:

> "Bruce" > wrote in message
>> On Sun, 17 May 2015 12:45:38 -0700 (PDT), dsi1 >
>> wrote:
>>
>>> I don't have any problem with canned foods. The reason it's fallen
>>> out of
>>> favor
>>> is because most everybody has refrigeration and access to fresh stuff.
>>> Take that away from people and canned foods will be a godsend. Canned
>>> foods are important during disasters and wars. It was originally
>>> designed to support military troops in the field and it still serves
>>> that purpose well, over 200 years later. Anybody that looks down on
>>> can foods have had too easy of a life. The reality is that canned
>>> foods have sustained life, not shortened it.

>> It's wonderful how you're always prepared for famine, disaster and
>> war, but why not start eating survival food when they actually occur?

> We keep a good store of dried and canned stuff and of course I have to
> rotate it somewhat, but fortunately it doesn't have to be done too often

You got it too easy. A lot of Samoans around here have to keep a year's
supply of food in their houses. Rotating that stock would take a lot of
time and eatin'. Now that's a stockpile!
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On 5/18/2015 2:07 PM, dsi1 wrote:
> On 5/17/2015 9:57 PM, Ophelia wrote:

>>> I was looking for some canned corn last night but alas, the cupboard
>>> was bare. If I had a cornfield behind the condo, I would have gone out
>>> into the warm tropical night and picked it. Unfortunately, there is no
>>> field back there. OTOH, I'm not that big on veggies. Rice would be my
>>> favorite vegetable. Hee hee.

>> Do you like canned corn?
>>

> Typically, if I open a can and see corn, I'm happy.

But what if it's those blue lake green beans?
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On 5/18/2015 2:11 PM, dsi1 wrote:
> On 5/18/2015 12:03 AM, Ophelia wrote:
>>

>> "Bruce" > wrote in message

>>> It's wonderful how you're always prepared for famine, disaster and
>>> war, but why not start eating survival food when they actually occur?

>> We keep a good store of dried and canned stuff and of course I have to
>> rotate it somewhat, but fortunately it doesn't have to be done too
>> often
>>

> You got it too easy. A lot of Samoans around here have to keep a year's
> supply of food in their houses. Rotating that stock would take a lot of
> time and eatin'. Now that's a stockpile!

Wait...Samoans are preppers?
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On 5/18/2015 10:17 AM, Cabrito del Bosque wrote:
> On 5/18/2015 2:07 PM, dsi1 wrote:

>>> Do you like canned corn?
>>>

>> Typically, if I open a can and see corn, I'm happy.

> But what if it's those blue lake green beans?

Then I am sad... very sad. :-(
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On 5/18/2015 10:18 AM, Cabrito del Bosque wrote:
> On 5/18/2015 2:11 PM, dsi1 wrote:

>>> We keep a good store of dried and canned stuff and of course I have to
>>> rotate it somewhat, but fortunately it doesn't have to be done too
>>> often
>>>

>> You got it too easy. A lot of Samoans around here have to keep a year's
>> supply of food in their houses. Rotating that stock would take a lot of
>> time and eatin'. Now that's a stockpile!

> Wait...Samoans are preppers?

A great many are members of the LDS church. The church stresses
preparedness and self-reliance. Pretty much the opposite of this group.
Hee hee.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

"Bruce" > wrote in message
> On Mon, 18 May 2015 14:08:18 +0100, "Ophelia" >
> wrote:
>

>>"Bruce" > wrote in message
. ..
> [...]
m...

>>> True. We sometimes get cut of by floods and there are monster flus
>>> lurking out there.

>> A case in point errrr wassa flus?

> Lol, I wasn't sure how to spell it. The plural of flu as in influenza.
> I didn't want to end up with part of the fireplace.

Ok I promise I won't mess up the draught in your chimney ... <g>
I reckon you get my point though. Being prepared is not only for the world
caves in )

--
http://www.helpforheroes.org.uk/shop/

Posted to rec.food.cooking

"dsi1" > wrote in message
> On 5/17/2015 9:57 PM, Ophelia wrote:

>>> I was looking for some canned corn last night but alas, the cupboard
>>> was bare. If I had a cornfield behind the condo, I would have gone out
>>> into the warm tropical night and picked it. Unfortunately, there is no
>>> field back there. OTOH, I'm not that big on veggies. Rice would be my
>>> favorite vegetable. Hee hee.

>> Do you like canned corn?
>>

> Typically, if I open a can and see corn, I'm happy.

I am glad it doesn't take too much to make you happy <g> A definite plus

--
http://www.helpforheroes.org.uk/shop/

Posted to rec.food.cooking

"dsi1" > wrote in message

> You got it too easy. A lot of Samoans around here have to keep a year's
> supply of food in their houses. Rotating that stock would take a lot of
> time and eatin'. Now that's a stockpile!

I keep several months supply but you don't have to use the whole lot before
you can start again you know?? You don't have to eat the lot at once, just
do it bit by bit.

Once a month (for example) you take a few tins from the shelf to use
and buy replacements which you put at the back of the shelf. It isn't a
major undertaking. It is a work in progress.

--
http://www.helpforheroes.org.uk/shop/
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On 5/18/2015 10:31 AM, Ophelia wrote:

> "dsi1" > wrote in message
>
>> You got it too easy. A lot of Samoans around here have to keep a year's
>> supply of food in their houses. Rotating that stock would take a lot of
>> time and eatin'. Now that's a stockpile!

> I keep several months supply but you don't have to use the whole lot before
> you can start again you know?? You don't have to eat the lot at once,
> just do it bit by bit.
>
> Once a month (for example) you take a few tins from the shelf to use and
> buy replacements which you put at the back of the shelf. It isn't a
> major undertaking. It is a work in progress.

You're a lot more organized than I. I just grab cans when I need it.
Mostly, all I use is canned corn, canned tomatoes, and canned beans.
Sometimes it's spaghetti sauce but those three are the holy trinity of
the church of the latter-day pantry.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On 5/18/2015 2:23 PM, dsi1 wrote:
> On 5/18/2015 10:17 AM, Cabrito del Bosque wrote:

>>> Typically, if I open a can and see corn, I'm happy.

>> But what if it's those blue lake green beans?

> Then I am sad... very sad. :-(

I weep for the freshness lost also.