Posted to rec.food.cooking

Default Why canned food is not as good as fresh

On 5/18/2015 2:25 PM, dsi1 wrote:
> On 5/18/2015 10:18 AM, Cabrito del Bosque wrote:

>>> You got it too easy. A lot of Samoans around here have to keep a year's
>>> supply of food in their houses. Rotating that stock would take a lot of
>>> time and eatin'. Now that's a stockpile!

>> Wait...Samoans are preppers?

> A great many are members of the LDS church. The church stresses
> preparedness and self-reliance.

Aha, that 'splains it then.

No one does pantry more efficiently than Mormons.

> Pretty much the opposite of this group.
> Hee hee.

To be sure!
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On 5/18/2015 2:31 PM, Ophelia wrote:

> "dsi1" > wrote in message

>>> Do you like canned corn?
>>>

>> Typically, if I open a can and see corn, I'm happy.

> I am glad it doesn't take too much to make you happy <g> A definite plus

Does that qualify as a canned remark?

;-)
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On 5/18/2015 2:31 PM, Ophelia wrote:

> "dsi1" > wrote in message
>
>> You got it too easy. A lot of Samoans around here have to keep a year's
>> supply of food in their houses. Rotating that stock would take a lot of
>> time and eatin'. Now that's a stockpile!

> I keep several months supply but you don't have to use the whole lot before
> you can start again you know?? You don't have to eat the lot at once,
> just do it bit by bit.
>
> Once a month (for example) you take a few tins from the shelf to use and
> buy replacements which you put at the back of the shelf. It isn't a
> major undertaking. It is a work in progress.

Plus the really good thing you can do is donate a year's supply to a
local food bank, then reload, etc.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On 5/18/2015 10:49 AM, Cabrito del Bosque wrote:
> On 5/18/2015 2:23 PM, dsi1 wrote:

>>> But what if it's those blue lake green beans?

>> Then I am sad... very sad. :-(

> I weep for the freshness lost also.

Is there anything sadder than an expired can of pineapple? I think not.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gAXtjH3EmLs
Posted to rec.food.cooking

"dsi1" > wrote in message
> On 5/18/2015 10:31 AM, Ophelia wrote:
>>

>> "dsi1" > wrote in message
>>
>>> You got it too easy. A lot of Samoans around here have to keep a year's
>>> supply of food in their houses. Rotating that stock would take a lot of
>>> time and eatin'. Now that's a stockpile!

>> I keep several months supply but you don't have to use the whole lot
>> before
>> you can start again you know?? You don't have to eat the lot at once,
>> just do it bit by bit.
>>
>> Once a month (for example) you take a few tins from the shelf to use and
>> buy replacements which you put at the back of the shelf. It isn't a
>> major undertaking. It is a work in progress.
>>

> You're a lot more organized than I. I just grab cans when I need it.
> Mostly, all I use is canned corn, canned tomatoes, and canned beans.
> Sometimes it's spaghetti sauce but those three are the holy trinity of the
> church of the latter-day pantry.

I know )

--
http://www.helpforheroes.org.uk/shop/

Posted to rec.food.cooking

"Cabrito del Bosque" > wrote in message
> On 5/18/2015 2:31 PM, Ophelia wrote:

>>> Typically, if I open a can and see corn, I'm happy.

>> I am glad it doesn't take too much to make you happy <g> A definite
>> plus
>>

> Does that qualify as a canned remark?
>
> ;-)

No but it might have been a bit corny ;-)

--
http://www.helpforheroes.org.uk/shop/

Posted to rec.food.cooking

"Cabrito del Bosque" > wrote in message
> On 5/18/2015 2:31 PM, Ophelia wrote:
>>

>> "dsi1" > wrote in message
>>
>>> You got it too easy. A lot of Samoans around here have to keep a year's
>>> supply of food in their houses. Rotating that stock would take a lot of
>>> time and eatin'. Now that's a stockpile!

>> I keep several months supply but you don't have to use the whole lot
>> before
>> you can start again you know?? You don't have to eat the lot at once,
>> just do it bit by bit.
>>
>> Once a month (for example) you take a few tins from the shelf to use and
>> buy replacements which you put at the back of the shelf. It isn't a
>> major undertaking. It is a work in progress.
>>

> Plus the really good thing you can do is donate a year's supply to a local
> food bank, then reload, etc.

I suppose you could if you really wanted but ohhhh the work and cost that
would involve ...

--
http://www.helpforheroes.org.uk/shop/

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On 5/18/2015 3:03 PM, dsi1 wrote:
> On 5/18/2015 10:49 AM, Cabrito del Bosque wrote:

>>> Then I am sad... very sad. :-(

>> I weep for the freshness lost also.

> Is there anything sadder than an expired can of pineapple? I think not.
>
> https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gAXtjH3EmLs

WTF?!?!

Glad Wrap will expire?

Dang.

I'm bummed now.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On 5/18/2015 3:05 PM, Ophelia wrote:

> "Cabrito del Bosque" > wrote in message

>>> I am glad it doesn't take too much to make you happy <g> A definite
>>> plus
>>>

>> Does that qualify as a canned remark?
>>
>> ;-)

> No but it might have been a bit corny ;-)

Har!

There's a kernel of truth in that...

;-)
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On 5/18/2015 3:06 PM, Ophelia wrote:

> "Cabrito del Bosque" > wrote in message

>>> I keep several months supply but you don't have to use the whole lot
>>> before
>>> you can start again you know?? You don't have to eat the lot at once,
>>> just do it bit by bit.
>>>
>>> Once a month (for example) you take a few tins from the shelf to use and
>>> buy replacements which you put at the back of the shelf. It isn't a
>>> major undertaking. It is a work in progress.
>>>

>> Plus the really good thing you can do is donate a year's supply to a
>> local food bank, then reload, etc.

> I suppose you could if you really wanted but ohhhh the work and cost
> that would involve ...

True enough, but it feels good to know someone in need is getting fed.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On 5/18/2015 11:08 AM, Cabrito del Bosque wrote:
> On 5/18/2015 3:03 PM, dsi1 wrote:

>>> I weep for the freshness lost also.

>> Is there anything sadder than an expired can of pineapple? I think not.
>>
>> https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gAXtjH3EmLs

> WTF?!?!
>
> Glad Wrap will expire?
>
> Dang.
>
> I'm bummed now.

I had some really old Glad Wrap from my late father-in-law. It was kind
thick and didn't feel real stretchy but it was OK. My guess is most
people will be survived by their food warp. Now I'm bummed - just
kidding. Hee hee.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On 5/18/2015 3:16 PM, dsi1 wrote:
> On 5/18/2015 11:08 AM, Cabrito del Bosque wrote:

>>> Is there anything sadder than an expired can of pineapple? I think not.
>>>
>>> https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gAXtjH3EmLs

>> WTF?!?!
>>
>> Glad Wrap will expire?
>>
>> Dang.
>>
>> I'm bummed now.

> I had some really old Glad Wrap from my late father-in-law. It was kind
> thick and didn't feel real stretchy but it was OK. My guess is most
> people will be survived by their food warp. Now I'm bummed - just
> kidding. Hee hee.

We had this food service sized Reynolds plastic wrap from Sam's Club
that lasted something like a decade. I guess you could say we're not
real big plastic wrap users. It got so old the cardboard dispense
yellowed and started to delaminate.

But the pineapple, that is sad.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

"dsi1" > wrote in message

>>> Then I am sad... very sad. :-(

>> I weep for the freshness lost also.

> Is there anything sadder than an expired can of pineapple? I think not.
>
> https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gAXtjH3EmLs

Oh dear, I have never given any thought for the feelings of a can of expired
pineapple ... have you?

--
http://www.helpforheroes.org.uk/shop/

Posted to rec.food.cooking

>>> Does that qualify as a canned remark?
>>>
>>> ;-)

>> No but it might have been a bit corny ;-)
>>

> Har!
>
> There's a kernel of truth in that...
>
> ;-)

'ear, 'ear cob ber !

--
http://www.helpforheroes.org.uk/shop/
Posted to rec.food.cooking

"Bruce" > wrote in message
news
> On Mon, 18 May 2015 21:30:39 +0100, "Ophelia" >
> wrote:
>

>>"Bruce" > wrote in message
. ..
> [...]
m...

>>> Lol, I wasn't sure how to spell it. The plural of flu as in influenza.
>>> I didn't want to end up with part of the fireplace.

>>Ok I promise I won't mess up the draught in your chimney ... <g>
>>I reckon you get my point though. Being prepared is not only for the
>>world
>>caves in )

> No, I understand

okiedokie ;-)

--
http://www.helpforheroes.org.uk/shop/

Posted to rec.food.cooking

"Cabrito del Bosque" > wrote in message
> On 5/18/2015 3:06 PM, Ophelia wrote:

>>> Plus the really good thing you can do is donate a year's supply to a
>>> local food bank, then reload, etc.

>> I suppose you could if you really wanted but ohhhh the work and cost
>> that would involve ...
>>

> True enough, but it feels good to know someone in need is getting fed.

Of course and we give plenty to charity, but why would I empty my store.
Would you give your house away?

--
http://www.helpforheroes.org.uk/shop/
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On 5/18/2015 11:18 AM, Cabrito del Bosque wrote:
> On 5/18/2015 3:16 PM, dsi1 wrote:

>>> WTF?!?!
>>>
>>> Glad Wrap will expire?
>>>
>>> Dang.
>>>
>>> I'm bummed now.

>> I had some really old Glad Wrap from my late father-in-law. It was kind
>> thick and didn't feel real stretchy but it was OK. My guess is most
>> people will be survived by their food warp. Now I'm bummed - just
>> kidding. Hee hee.

> We had this food service sized Reynolds plastic wrap from Sam's Club
> that lasted something like a decade. I guess you could say we're not
> real big plastic wrap users. It got so old the cardboard dispense
> yellowed and started to delaminate.
>
> But the pineapple, that is sad.

I got the Kirkland brand Stretch-tite wrap in the 3000 feet roll. It's
great stuff - they don't call it stretch-tite for nothing! I'll probably
delaminate before that box does. Hee hee.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On 5/18/2015 11:21 AM, Ophelia wrote:

>>> I weep for the freshness lost also.

>> Is there anything sadder than an expired can of pineapple? I think not.
>>
>> https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gAXtjH3EmLs

> Oh dear, I have never given any thought for the feelings of a can of
> expired
> pineapple ... have you?

I feel it's pain. :-(
Posted to rec.food.cooking

"dsi1" > wrote in message

>>> Is there anything sadder than an expired can of pineapple? I think not.
>>>
>>> https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gAXtjH3EmLs

>> Oh dear, I have never given any thought for the feelings of a can of
>> expired
>> pineapple ... have you?
>>

> I feel it's pain. :-(

Ow ow ow ...

--
http://www.helpforheroes.org.uk/shop/

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On 5/18/2015 3:21 PM, Ophelia wrote:

>>> No but it might have been a bit corny ;-)
>>>

>> Har!
>>
>> There's a kernel of truth in that...
>>
>> ;-)

> 'ear, 'ear cob ber !

She said in a husky voice...

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On 5/18/2015 3:24 PM, Ophelia wrote:

> "Cabrito del Bosque" > wrote in message

>>> I suppose you could if you really wanted but ohhhh the work and cost
>>> that would involve ...
>>>

>> True enough, but it feels good to know someone in need is getting fed.

> Of course and we give plenty to charity, but why would I empty my store.
> Would you give your house away?

What I like to do is sett all the pantry items free every couple of
years prior to expiry dates.

It's liberating!
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On 5/18/2015 3:33 PM, dsi1 wrote:
> On 5/18/2015 11:18 AM, Cabrito del Bosque wrote:

>>> I had some really old Glad Wrap from my late father-in-law. It was kind
>>> thick and didn't feel real stretchy but it was OK. My guess is most
>>> people will be survived by their food warp. Now I'm bummed - just
>>> kidding. Hee hee.

>> We had this food service sized Reynolds plastic wrap from Sam's Club
>> that lasted something like a decade. I guess you could say we're not
>> real big plastic wrap users. It got so old the cardboard dispense
>> yellowed and started to delaminate.
>>
>> But the pineapple, that is sad.

> I got the Kirkland brand Stretch-tite wrap in the 3000 feet roll. It's
> great stuff - they don't call it stretch-tite for nothing! I'll probably
> delaminate before that box does. Hee hee.

LOL!

Kirkland makes a lot of really great stuff.

I think that's what we're using now - yellow and blue box, iirc.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On 5/18/2015 3:34 PM, dsi1 wrote:

>>> Is there anything sadder than an expired can of pineapple? I think not.
>>>
>>> https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gAXtjH3EmLs

>> Oh dear, I have never given any thought for the feelings of a can of
>> expired
>> pineapple ... have you?
>>

> I feel it's pain. :-(

And really the pineapple is such a happy fruit, not at all mopey or
taciturn as Mangoes can sometimes be.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On 5/18/2015 11:42 AM, Cabrito del Bosque wrote:
> On 5/18/2015 3:33 PM, dsi1 wrote:

>>> We had this food service sized Reynolds plastic wrap from Sam's Club
>>> that lasted something like a decade. I guess you could say we're not
>>> real big plastic wrap users. It got so old the cardboard dispense
>>> yellowed and started to delaminate.
>>>
>>> But the pineapple, that is sad.

>> I got the Kirkland brand Stretch-tite wrap in the 3000 feet roll. It's
>> great stuff - they don't call it stretch-tite for nothing! I'll probably
>> delaminate before that box does. Hee hee.

> LOL!
>
> Kirkland makes a lot of really great stuff.
>
> I think that's what we're using now - yellow and blue box, iirc.

That would be right. It also has a neat sliding blade thingie. Everybody
should have one of these in their home!
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On 5/18/2015 11:43 AM, Cabrito del Bosque wrote:
> On 5/18/2015 3:34 PM, dsi1 wrote:

>>> Oh dear, I have never given any thought for the feelings of a can of
>>> expired
>>> pineapple ... have you?
>>>

>> I feel it's pain. :-(

> And really the pineapple is such a happy fruit, not at all mopey or
> taciturn as Mangoes can sometimes be.

The mangoes here are pretty happy. The ones that I see in the stores are
pretty damn sad. They don't even qualify as a mango the way I see it.
The same goes for those pathetic avocados that they ship in from the
Americas. Why do they ever bother with that? The ones that people grow
in their backyards here are ridiculously huge.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On 5/18/2015 3:47 PM, dsi1 wrote:
> On 5/18/2015 11:42 AM, Cabrito del Bosque wrote:

>>> I got the Kirkland brand Stretch-tite wrap in the 3000 feet roll. It's
>>> great stuff - they don't call it stretch-tite for nothing! I'll probably
>>> delaminate before that box does. Hee hee.

>> LOL!
>>
>> Kirkland makes a lot of really great stuff.
>>
>> I think that's what we're using now - yellow and blue box, iirc.

> That would be right. It also has a neat sliding blade thingie. Everybody
> should have one of these in their home!

That's the one, yes!

That cutter is the bomb, so much better than the serrated edge finger
nicker.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On 5/18/2015 3:51 PM, dsi1 wrote:
> On 5/18/2015 11:43 AM, Cabrito del Bosque wrote:

>>> I feel it's pain. :-(

>> And really the pineapple is such a happy fruit, not at all mopey or
>> taciturn as Mangoes can sometimes be.

> The mangoes here are pretty happy.

I would bet they are!

> The ones that I see in the stores are
> pretty damn sad. They don't even qualify as a mango the way I see it.

Lol, their bruised nature just makes them something to avoid, even for a
smoothie.

> The same goes for those pathetic avocados that they ship in from the
> Americas. Why do they ever bother with that? The ones that people grow
> in their backyards here are ridiculously huge.

I've seen some of that and you are right.

Ah volcanic soil, wondrous stuff.

Otoh, I have some problems with black sand beaches, it's almost like
walking on a photo negative.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

"Ophelia" > wrote in message

> "Bruce" > wrote in message
>> On Mon, 18 May 2015 11:41:52 +0100, "Ophelia" >
>> wrote:

om...

>>>lol one way of putting it. But one thing, some folk I have read about
>>>seem
>>>to think that anything will do for storage so long as they have that back
>>>up, but they need to understand, if you don't like it before you need it,
>>>you sure as heck won't like it after) So, eating 'storage' food isn't
>>>bad
>>>but fresh is nicer

>> But in most countries that disaster will never hit, unless it's a 1 or
>> 2 day power outage or flood or similar, so it's more psychological
>> anyway

> If you can't get out for some reason; have a big bill or want to buy
> something and not break into savings ... I have always kept good stock in
> and has served me well

Yes! You never know when someone might get sick or go into the hospital.
In some cases you'll be stuck at home with them or going to the hospital so
often there is no time to go buy food.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

"Dave Smith" > wrote in message
> On 2015-05-18 7:53 AM, Bruce wrote:
>> On Mon, 18 May 2015 04:08:58 -0700, "Julie Bove"

>>> When I was attempting to eat the raw vegan diet, some of those people
>>> were
>>> so hard core they said that if a disaster befell them, they would simply
>>> fast and eat nothing. They considered that better than eating what they
>>> considered to be poison.

>> Even though the poison would keep them alive.

> You're talking Julie's peers It is a very shallow area of the gene pool
> and they would be doing the world a favour.

None of those people were my peers.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

> wrote in message
> Julie, get a Coleman stove to use when the power is off and have hot
> veggies.

No! Those have to be used outside and there is propane. I am fine eating
stuff raw or straight from the can. Not a big deal. Most of the time when
I do eat canned vegetables, I just open, drain and eat.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On 5/18/2015 5:24 PM, Julie Bove wrote:

> > wrote in message
>> Julie, get a Coleman stove to use when the power is off and have hot
>> veggies.

> No! Those have to be used outside and there is propane. I am fine
> eating stuff raw or straight from the can. Not a big deal. Most of the
> time when I do eat canned vegetables, I just open, drain and eat.

No, you can use one inside if a window is open nearby.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

"Cabrito del Bosque" > wrote in message
> On 5/18/2015 5:24 PM, Julie Bove wrote:
>>
>> > wrote in message
>>> Julie, get a Coleman stove to use when the power is off and have hot
>>> veggies.

>> No! Those have to be used outside and there is propane. I am fine
>> eating stuff raw or straight from the can. Not a big deal. Most of the
>> time when I do eat canned vegetables, I just open, drain and eat.

> No, you can use one inside if a window is open nearby.

That would not be likely to happen! Generally when we lose power it is
because it is cold and windy, rainy, snowy...

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Mon, 18 May 2015 05:49:33 -0700 (PDT), wrote:

>Julie, get a Coleman stove to use when the power is off and have hot veggies.

No. Julie can't do that. Not sure why yet, but I'll find out soon
enough when I click on her reply to you.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Mon, 18 May 2015 16:24:27 -0700, "Julie Bove"
> wrote:

> wrote in message
>> Julie, get a Coleman stove to use when the power is off and have hot
>> veggies.

>No! Those have to be used outside

It's quite safe inside a house if you're only heating something up for
a few minutes.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Mon, 18 May 2015 17:11:23 -0700, "Julie Bove"
> wrote:

>>> No! Those have to be used outside and there is propane. I am fine
>>> eating stuff raw or straight from the can. Not a big deal. Most of the
>>> time when I do eat canned vegetables, I just open, drain and eat.

>> No, you can use one inside if a window is open nearby.

>That would not be likely to happen! Generally when we lose power it is
>because it is cold and windy, rainy, snowy...

Well, just pretend to open the window if it's cold and windy, rainy,
snowy...

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On 5/18/2015 6:11 PM, Julie Bove wrote:

>>> No! Those have to be used outside and there is propane. I am fine
>>> eating stuff raw or straight from the can. Not a big deal. Most of the
>>> time when I do eat canned vegetables, I just open, drain and eat.

>> No, you can use one inside if a window is open nearby.

> That would not be likely to happen!

Really?

> Generally when we lose power it is
> because it is cold and windy, rainy, snowy...

Oh heavens!

Posted to rec.food.cooking

"Cabrito del Bosque" > wrote in message

>>> Har!
>>>
>>> There's a kernel of truth in that...
>>>
>>> ;-)

>> 'ear, 'ear cob ber !
>>

> She said in a husky voice...

This is going on far too long for a single episode, it should be cerealised.

--
http://www.helpforheroes.org.uk/shop/

Posted to rec.food.cooking

"Cabrito del Bosque" > wrote in message
> On 5/18/2015 3:24 PM, Ophelia wrote:

>>> True enough, but it feels good to know someone in need is getting fed.

>> Of course and we give plenty to charity, but why would I empty my store.
>> Would you give your house away?
>>

> What I like to do is sett all the pantry items free every couple of years
> prior to expiry dates.
>
> It's liberating!

Good for you. I won't ask what will happen should tragedy arise just after
your clearout.

--
http://www.helpforheroes.org.uk/shop/

Posted to rec.food.cooking

"dsi1" > wrote in message

>>> I got the Kirkland brand Stretch-tite wrap in the 3000 feet roll. It's
>>> great stuff - they don't call it stretch-tite for nothing! I'll probably
>>> delaminate before that box does. Hee hee.

>> LOL!
>>
>> Kirkland makes a lot of really great stuff.
>>
>> I think that's what we're using now - yellow and blue box, iirc.

> That would be right. It also has a neat sliding blade thingie. Everybody
> should have one of these in their home!

I have one of those but the slidey thingy broke, so I stretch the wrap over
it and run a knife blade along the groove.

--
http://www.helpforheroes.org.uk/shop/

Posted to rec.food.cooking

"Julie Bove" > wrote in message

> "Ophelia" > wrote in message
>>

>> "Bruce" > wrote in message

m...

>>> But in most countries that disaster will never hit, unless it's a 1 or
>>> 2 day power outage or flood or similar, so it's more psychological
>>> anyway

>> If you can't get out for some reason; have a big bill or want to buy
>> something and not break into savings ... I have always kept good stock
>> in and has served me well

> Yes! You never know when someone might get sick or go into the hospital.
> In some cases you'll be stuck at home with them or going to the hospital
> so often there is no time to go buy food.

Exactly right.

--
http://www.helpforheroes.org.uk/shop/