Posted to rec.food.cooking

Default Why canned food is not as good as fresh

On 5/19/2015 1:48 PM, Cabrito del Bosque wrote:

>>> We have several lamps, radio and torches that don't need batteries. We
>>> can just wind them up, so if all else fails ...
>>>

>> I also have several of those wind-up items, but none work well for me. A
>> problem is that I have vision problems and arthritis in my hands, so
>> that alone has caused difficulty when I try to "crank" those items. My
>> favorite flashlights are a Coleman model that have an oval-shaped lens.
>> They are bright, and the shape means they will not roll if placed on
>> an uneven surface. I have several because I keep one on both sides of
>> each bed (my own and also guest beds so that guests can find their way
>> around in the dark). They also do not require strength to turn on the
>> light, which is very important because of arthritis.
>>
>> I am interested in looking at LED flashlights. In fact, I checked into
>> it on amazon.com after I read some messages in this thread. However,
>> most of them looked very small. I want the standard size (or what used
>> to be standard) because it is difficult for me to grasp something small.
>> It is difficult to see what the diameter is on amazon, so I will
>> probably go to Walmart and Lowe's soon.
>>
>> MaryL
>>

>> MaryL
>>

> Give this beauty some thought:
>
> http://www.walmart.com/ip/Coleman-8D...ntern/21156007
>
> Two light settings super easy to turn on and off, and stable.

Looks good. In fact, it looks similar to a couple that I already have
except that mine are fluorescent. I'm also interested in seeing some
LED flashlights (but not the small ones).

MaryL

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On 5/19/2015 12:33 PM, Ophelia wrote:

> "Cabrito del Bosque" > wrote in message

>>> I am sure you wouldn't have to beg)
>>>

>> Aw, thankee!

> Well just because I keep a good store doesn't mean I am scrooge )

We could use a lot more of that kind of attitude in this nation, trust me.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

"Roy" > wrote in message
> On Tuesday, May 19, 2015 at 12:39:12 PM UTC-6, Ophelia wrote:

>> > Aw, thankee!

>> Well just because I keep a good store doesn't mean I am scrooge )
>>

>> --
>> http://www.helpforheroes.org.uk/shop/

> I'm sure you're not a Scrooge but even if you were, you'd be an adorable
> one.
> Ahahahahahaha
> ==============

;-) Cheeky!

--
http://www.helpforheroes.org.uk/shop/

Posted to rec.food.cooking

"Cabrito del Bosque" > wrote in message
> On 5/19/2015 12:33 PM, Ophelia wrote:

>>> Aw, thankee!

>> Well just because I keep a good store doesn't mean I am scrooge )
>>

> We could use a lot more of that kind of attitude in this nation, trust me.

I don't understand.

--
http://www.helpforheroes.org.uk/shop/

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On 5/19/2015 1:24 PM, MaryL wrote:
> On 5/19/2015 1:48 PM, Cabrito del Bosque wrote:

>>> I also have several of those wind-up items, but none work well for me. A
>>> problem is that I have vision problems and arthritis in my hands, so
>>> that alone has caused difficulty when I try to "crank" those items. My
>>> favorite flashlights are a Coleman model that have an oval-shaped lens.
>>> They are bright, and the shape means they will not roll if placed on
>>> an uneven surface. I have several because I keep one on both sides of
>>> each bed (my own and also guest beds so that guests can find their way
>>> around in the dark). They also do not require strength to turn on the
>>> light, which is very important because of arthritis.
>>>
>>> I am interested in looking at LED flashlights. In fact, I checked into
>>> it on amazon.com after I read some messages in this thread. However,
>>> most of them looked very small. I want the standard size (or what used
>>> to be standard) because it is difficult for me to grasp something small.
>>> It is difficult to see what the diameter is on amazon, so I will
>>> probably go to Walmart and Lowe's soon.
>>>
>>> MaryL
>>>

>>> MaryL
>>>

>> Give this beauty some thought:
>>
>> http://www.walmart.com/ip/Coleman-8D...ntern/21156007
>>
>> Two light settings super easy to turn on and off, and stable.

> Looks good. In fact, it looks similar to a couple that I already have
> except that mine are fluorescent. I'm also interested in seeing some
> LED flashlights (but not the small ones).
>
> MaryL

Wal Mart almost always has a great selection of LED lights and lanterns.

This Coleman is very nicely made.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On 5/19/2015 1:31 PM, Ophelia wrote:

> "Cabrito del Bosque" > wrote in message

>>> Well just because I keep a good store doesn't mean I am scrooge )
>>>

>> We could use a lot more of that kind of attitude in this nation, trust
>> me.

> I don't understand.

Charity begins at home, many of us don't seem to get that any more.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On 5/19/2015 8:11 AM, MaryL wrote:

> I also learned during those events to keep *lots* of batteries of
> different sizes on hand. I completely ran out of batteries the first
> time, and every store in town sold out the first day. Now, I keep lots
> of batteries, but I do cycle through them by putting the first
> expiration dates at the front.

Fortunately, batteries last longer than they used to when sitting in
storage.

If you have not already, look at the LED lanterns. The one I have takes
D cells and on low can last up to 72 hours on a set of batteries and is
bright. On high, it will last I think 36 hours and is very bright.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

"Cabrito del Bosque" > wrote in message
> On 5/19/2015 1:31 PM, Ophelia wrote:

>>> We could use a lot more of that kind of attitude in this nation, trust
>>> me.

>> I don't understand.
>>

> Charity begins at home, many of us don't seem to get that any more.

To be charitable, one needs a secure base from which to work.

--
http://www.helpforheroes.org.uk/shop/

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On 5/19/2015 1:39 PM, Ophelia wrote:

> "Cabrito del Bosque" > wrote in message

>>> I don't understand.
>>>

>> Charity begins at home, many of us don't seem to get that any more.

> To be charitable, one needs a secure base from which to work.

You are 100% on the money, so to speak ;-)
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On 5/19/2015 1:35 PM, MaryL wrote:

> I am interested in looking at LED flashlights. In fact, I checked into
> it on amazon.com after I read some messages in this thread. However,
> most of them looked very small. I want the standard size (or what used
> to be standard) because it is difficult for me to grasp something small.
> It is difficult to see what the diameter is on amazon, so I will
> probably go to Walmart and Lowe's soon.
>
> MaryL

I have a few CREE led lights from Amazon. I paid $3.25 including
shipping from China. The fat half is just over 1" diameter, the narrow
end is about 7/8".

LED lights take little power so they are made for AA batteries in many
cases. The Dorcy light is 2.2" though
http://www.amazon.com/Dorcy-Waterpro...led+flashlight

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Tue, 19 May 2015 12:35:11 -0500, MaryL
> wrote:

>On 5/19/2015 11:52 AM, Ophelia wrote:
>>

>> > wrote in message
>>> On Tue, 19 May 2015 11:16:48 -0500, MaryL

>>> The LED lamps and flashlights are excellent. I found one under the
>>> seat of my car yesterday, been there for maybe 8/9 years. Squeezed
>>> the gizmo that operates it and lo and behold, still working That
>>> was one of the type you can squeeze about ten times and then it runs
>>> on that for ten minutes. I had put it in the car thinking sometime it
>>> might be very useful

>> We have several lamps, radio and torches that don't need batteries. We
>> can just wind them up, so if all else fails ...
>>

>I also have several of those wind-up items, but none work well for me.
>A problem is that I have vision problems and arthritis in my hands, so
>that alone has caused difficulty when I try to "crank" those items. My
>favorite flashlights are a Coleman model that have an oval-shaped lens.
> They are bright, and the shape means they will not roll if placed on
>an uneven surface. I have several because I keep one on both sides of
>each bed (my own and also guest beds so that guests can find their way
>around in the dark). They also do not require strength to turn on the
>light, which is very important because of arthritis.
>
>I am interested in looking at LED flashlights. In fact, I checked into
>it on amazon.com after I read some messages in this thread. However,
>most of them looked very small. I want the standard size (or what used
>to be standard) because it is difficult for me to grasp something small.
> It is difficult to see what the diameter is on amazon, so I will
>probably go to Walmart and Lowe's soon.
>
>MaryL
>

>MaryL

Buy the highest Lumens that you can get. Current lumens size is
generally 100 or above. (inexpensive) Higher lumens is available.
Lumens is the brightness you get. Costco sells them in packages of 3
flashlights for under $20.
Janet US
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Tue, 19 May 2015 17:00:33 +0000 (UTC), jinx the minx
> wrote:

snip

>We bought flood insurance and holy cow was that a chunk of change!!

Flood Zone One bites, doesn't it?
Janet US
Posted to rec.food.cooking

Julie Bove wrote:

> Why? I said that I was fine eating it straight from the can. No need to
> heat it.

Just my thoughts here Julie and I'm not judging you. But just opening
a can of vegetables and eating them cold sounds like survival eating
and not really enjoying a meal. I did that when I was in college and
needed a quick fix but never since those days. That doesn't sound
like enjoyable eating at all...just survival.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

Julie Bove wrote:

> I don't happen to think that my place is hard to find but a lot of people
> do. Including such people as plumbers and delivery people. You'd think in
> this day and age, everyone would have a GPS but they don't.

What's a GPS? ;-D

Just kidding but I don't have one and I get to every place that I'm
going to easily without one with no problem at all.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On 5/18/2015 9:40 PM, Ophelia wrote:

>>> LOL!
>>>
>>> Kirkland makes a lot of really great stuff.
>>>
>>> I think that's what we're using now - yellow and blue box, iirc.

>> That would be right. It also has a neat sliding blade thingie.
>> Everybody should have one of these in their home!

> I have one of those but the slidey thingy broke, so I stretch the wrap
> over it and run a knife blade along the groove.

There's so much wrap in there that the slidey thing will break or lose
its edge long before you get to the end. Those things should come with a
couple of refill blades. Hee hee.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On 5/19/2015 1:58 PM, Gary wrote:
> Julie Bove wrote:
>>
>> Why? I said that I was fine eating it straight from the can. No need to
>> heat it.

> Just my thoughts here Julie and I'm not judging you. But just opening
> a can of vegetables and eating them cold sounds like survival eating
> and not really enjoying a meal. I did that when I was in college and
> needed a quick fix but never since those days. That doesn't sound
> like enjoyable eating at all...just survival.

As long as she's not into the cat food...
Posted to rec.food.cooking

"dsi1" > wrote in message

>>> That would be right. It also has a neat sliding blade thingie.
>>> Everybody should have one of these in their home!

>> I have one of those but the slidey thingy broke, so I stretch the wrap
>> over it and run a knife blade along the groove.
>>

> There's so much wrap in there that the slidey thing will break or lose its
> edge long before you get to the end. Those things should come with a
> couple of refill blades. Hee hee.

No need, I told you, I run a knife along the groove to cut it. I do mean
the small thing with the blade in it, yes? Not the long bit that fits over
the edge with the groove along the top.

--
http://www.helpforheroes.org.uk/shop/

Posted to rec.food.cooking

"Ophelia" > wrote in message

> "dsi1" > wrote in message

>>> I have one of those but the slidey thingy broke, so I stretch the wrap
>>> over it and run a knife blade along the groove.
>>>

>> There's so much wrap in there that the slidey thing will break or lose
>> its edge long before you get to the end. Those things should come with a
>> couple of refill blades. Hee hee.

> No need, I told you, I run a knife along the groove to cut it. I do mean
> the small thing with the blade in it, yes? Not the long bit that fits
> over the edge with the groove along the top.

errr or is that the other way round ... anyway the little blade is broken
so I use a knife
--
http://www.helpforheroes.org.uk/shop/

Posted to rec.food.cooking

"Gary" > wrote in message ...
> Julie Bove wrote:
>>
>> Why? I said that I was fine eating it straight from the can. No need to
>> heat it.

> Just my thoughts here Julie and I'm not judging you. But just opening
> a can of vegetables and eating them cold sounds like survival eating
> and not really enjoying a meal. I did that when I was in college and
> needed a quick fix but never since those days. That doesn't sound
> like enjoyable eating at all...just survival.

So? Do you really think those canned vegetables are going to be any better
when heated? Now some things, I would heat. Like potatoes. But things
like beans, corn and peas are fine at room temp. or chilled. Look at any
salad bar. They're there!

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On 5/19/2015 10:57 AM, Ophelia wrote:

> "dsi1" > wrote in message

>>> I have one of those but the slidey thingy broke, so I stretch the wrap
>>> over it and run a knife blade along the groove.
>>>

>> There's so much wrap in there that the slidey thing will break or lose
>> its edge long before you get to the end. Those things should come with
>> a couple of refill blades. Hee hee.

> No need, I told you, I run a knife along the groove to cut it. I do
> mean the small thing with the blade in it, yes? Not the long bit that
> fits over the edge with the groove along the top.

That's true. Brilliant folks like us don't need spares. I'd tape a razor
blade to the box. I like razor blades.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

"dsi1" > wrote in message
> On 5/19/2015 10:57 AM, Ophelia wrote:

>>> There's so much wrap in there that the slidey thing will break or lose
>>> its edge long before you get to the end. Those things should come with
>>> a couple of refill blades. Hee hee.

>> No need, I told you, I run a knife along the groove to cut it. I do
>> mean the small thing with the blade in it, yes? Not the long bit that
>> fits over the edge with the groove along the top.
>>

> That's true. Brilliant folks like us don't need spares. I'd tape a razor
> blade to the box. I like razor blades.

Do you indeed? <g>

--
http://www.helpforheroes.org.uk/shop/

Posted to rec.food.cooking

"Bruce" > wrote in message
> On Tue, 19 May 2015 13:24:28 +0100, "Ophelia" >
> wrote:
>

>>"Bruce" > wrote in message
. ..
>>> On Tue, 19 May 2015 07:11:14 -0500, MaryL

>>> We tend to get -one day max- power outages when there's rain, wind or
>>> any other type of weather. Batteries or candles are high on our list
>>> too.

>>Loads here too as well as water. We have suitcase solar panels too which
>>work well in other situations too.

> We're on rain water tanks, so water we can always get to. I'm thinking
> about getting a generator, though. It happens a bit too often and I
> work from home and need electricity for that as well.

We have 2 Gennies, one is a 2kw 4 stroke petrol, the other a 1.8 diesel.
The petrol one for off grid sites with the caravan and the diesel is for
either power cuts at home, or for use with the electric chain saw etc.
Useful pieces of kit.

--
http://www.helpforheroes.org.uk/shop/

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Tuesday, May 19, 2015 at 3:31:30 PM UTC-6, Julie Bove wrote:
> "Janet" > wrote in message
> t...
> > In article >, says...
> >>
> >> "Janet" > wrote in message
> >> t...

> >> What? People come to the door bringing food that they made? Hahaha.

> > Yes, this is a long held tradition in much of Scotland (and Ireland)
> >
> > *I*
> >> am pretty much the only person I know around here who makes food.

> > Most people bring home made comfort food; usual offerings are homely
> > stuff like soup, pies, home baking, rice pudding.
> >
> > Some of
> >> my friends do cook but they don't live anywhere near me.

> > This tradition is not about "friends"; its a community thing. Total
> > strangers offer and are offered the same support.

> That's just creepy! Nobody would do anything like that here and most people
> sure wouldn't accept such food.

Creepy??? Good Lord, in our neck of the woods, that is consideration, friendliness, neighborliness, and consolation to the family who have lost a
loved one. If in the USA it should mean the same thing and does as far as I know.
You must live in a strange part of Washington. My Dad's folks came from
Washington over a century ago and they certainly practiced these acts of
kindness. They were strict Methodists...fortunately I have not followed
that path.
===========
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On 5/19/2015 4:00 PM, Roy wrote:
> On Tuesday, May 19, 2015 at 3:31:30 PM UTC-6, Julie Bove wrote:
>> "Janet" > wrote in message
>> t...
>>> In article >, says...

>>> Yes, this is a long held tradition in much of Scotland (and Ireland)
>>>
>>> *I*
>>>
>>> Most people bring home made comfort food; usual offerings are homely
>>> stuff like soup, pies, home baking, rice pudding.
>>>
>>> Some of
>>>
>>> This tradition is not about "friends"; its a community thing. Total
>>> strangers offer and are offered the same support.

>> That's just creepy! Nobody would do anything like that here and most people
>> sure wouldn't accept such food.

> Creepy??? Good Lord, in our neck of the woods, that is consideration, friendliness, neighborliness, and consolation to the family who have lost a
> loved one. If in the USA it should mean the same thing and does as far as I know.
> You must live in a strange part of Washington. My Dad's folks came from
> Washington over a century ago and they certainly practiced these acts of
> kindness. They were strict Methodists...fortunately I have not followed
> that path.
> ===========

"That path" is what made them the way they were.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Tuesday, May 19, 2015 at 3:44:09 PM UTC-6, Ophelia wrote:
> "Bruce" > wrote in message
> > On Tue, 19 May 2015 13:24:28 +0100, "Ophelia" >
> > wrote:
> >

> >>"Bruce" > wrote in message
> . ..

> >>Loads here too as well as water. We have suitcase solar panels too which
> >>work well in other situations too.

> > We're on rain water tanks, so water we can always get to. I'm thinking
> > about getting a generator, though. It happens a bit too often and I
> > work from home and need electricity for that as well.

> We have 2 Gennies, one is a 2kw 4 stroke petrol, the other a 1.8 diesel.
> The petrol one for off grid sites with the caravan and the diesel is for
> either power cuts at home, or for use with the electric chain saw etc.
> Useful pieces of kit.
>

> --
> http://www.helpforheroes.org.uk/shop/

gennies=generators (quite often made in China)
petrol=gasoline
petrel=some kind of sea bird
caravan=holiday trailer
Grande Caravan=my crappy Dodge van
kit=gear of some kind/contents of the caravan/equipment
kit=a young fox

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Tue, 19 May 2015 08:28:45 -0400, Brooklyn1
> wrote:

>On Tue, 19 May 2015 12:14:15 +1000, Jeßus
> wrote:
>
>>On Mon, 18 May 2015 17:11:23 -0700, "Julie Bove"
> wrote:

>>>That would not be likely to happen! Generally when we lose power it is
>>>because it is cold and windy, rainy, snowy...

>>Well, just pretend to open the window if it's cold and windy, rainy,
>>snowy...

>Coleman says never use fueled (white gas/propane) camping
>stoves/lanterns indoors, and I concur.
>http://www.coleman.com/EmergencyPreparedness/
>http://www.ehow.com/how_5380295_use-...s-indoors.html

You can always apply common sense. Oh, wait...

>Never inside a tent either.

Definitely not in a small tent.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Tue, 19 May 2015 09:06:52 -0400, Dave Smith
> wrote:

>On 2015-05-18 10:13 PM, wrote:
>
>> It's quite safe inside a house if you're only heating something up for
>> a few minutes.
>>

>Feel free to do so. I would not use one in a house. Carbon Monoxide is a
>silent killer. They are for outdoor use only.

Sigh. Okay then.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

In article >, zio-web-
says...

> On Tue, 19 May 2015 08:28:45 -0400, Brooklyn1
> > wrote:
>
> >On Tue, 19 May 2015 12:14:15 +1000, Jeßus
> > wrote:

> >>Well, just pretend to open the window if it's cold and windy, rainy,
> >>snowy...

> >Coleman says never use fueled (white gas/propane) camping
> >stoves/lanterns indoors, and I concur.

http://www.coleman.com/EmergencyPreparedness/
> >http://www.ehow.com/how_5380295_use-...s-indoors.html

> You can always apply common sense. Oh, wait...
>
> >Never inside a tent either.

> Definitely not in a small tent.

It's amazing I'm still alive.. so many near-death cooking experiences.
Who knew.

When I was a child we lived in a cold house and used a kerosene room
heater; as did most people we knew. I had an oldfashioned oil lamp I
used to use in power cuts, wonder where thet's got to.

Janet UK

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Wed, 20 May 2015 00:27:37 +0100, Janet > wrote:

>In article >, zio-web-
says...

>> On Tue, 19 May 2015 08:28:45 -0400, Brooklyn1
>> > wrote:

>> >Coleman says never use fueled (white gas/propane) camping
>> >stoves/lanterns indoors, and I concur.
>> >http://www.coleman.com/EmergencyPreparedness/
>> >http://www.ehow.com/how_5380295_use-...s-indoors.html

>> You can always apply common sense. Oh, wait...
>>
>> >Never inside a tent either.

>> Definitely not in a small tent.

> It's amazing I'm still alive.. so many near-death cooking experiences.
>Who knew.
>
> When I was a child we lived in a cold house and used a kerosene room
>heater; as did most people we knew. I had an oldfashioned oil lamp I
>used to use in power cuts, wonder where thet's got to.

Kerosene heaters were very popular in Aus when I was a kid, I can't
ever recall personally knowing anybody who was harmed by them.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On 5/19/2015 5:27 PM, Julie Bove wrote:

> "Gary" > wrote in message
>> Julie Bove wrote:
>>>
>>> Why? I said that I was fine eating it straight from the can. No
>>> need to
>>> heat it.

>> Just my thoughts here Julie and I'm not judging you. But just opening
>> a can of vegetables and eating them cold sounds like survival eating
>> and not really enjoying a meal. I did that when I was in college and
>> needed a quick fix but never since those days. That doesn't sound
>> like enjoyable eating at all...just survival.

> So? Do you really think those canned vegetables are going to be any
> better when heated? Now some things, I would heat. Like potatoes. But
> things like beans, corn and peas are fine at room temp. or chilled.
> Look at any salad bar. They're there!

Uh, except you're not at a salad bar. You're eating vegetables straight
out of the can in your house. If you weren't in a house you'd come
across as the equivalent of a bag lady. Please sir, do you have a can
opener?

Jill
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On 5/19/2015 3:58 PM, Gary wrote:
> Julie Bove wrote:
>>
>> Why? I said that I was fine eating it straight from the can. No need to
>> heat it.

> Just my thoughts here Julie and I'm not judging you. But just opening
> a can of vegetables and eating them cold sounds like survival eating
> and not really enjoying a meal. I did that when I was in college and
> needed a quick fix but never since those days. That doesn't sound
> like enjoyable eating at all...just survival.

Gary, when are you going to figure out she doesn't actually enjoy food?

Jill
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On 5/19/2015 7:27 PM, Janet wrote:
> In article >, zio-web-
> says...
>>
>> On Tue, 19 May 2015 08:28:45 -0400, Brooklyn1
>> > wrote:
>>
>>> On Tue, 19 May 2015 12:14:15 +1000, Jeßus

>>> Coleman says never use fueled (white gas/propane) camping
>>> stoves/lanterns indoors, and I concur.

http://www.coleman.com/EmergencyPreparedness/
>>> http://www.ehow.com/how_5380295_use-...s-indoors.html

>> You can always apply common sense. Oh, wait...
>>
>>> Never inside a tent either.

>> Definitely not in a small tent.

> It's amazing I'm still alive.. so many near-death cooking experiences.
> Who knew.
>
> When I was a child we lived in a cold house and used a kerosene room
> heater; as did most people we knew. I had an oldfashioned oil lamp I
> used to use in power cuts, wonder where thet's got to.
>
> Janet UK

I still have a couple of small glass oil lamps (with shades) with finger
loops for carrying around. Similar to this but not nearly as old:

http://www.ebay.com/itm/like/1616451...466&rmvSB=true

http://tinyurl.com/l7qjyw4

I haven't used them in years but I do have wicks and oil (not kerosene)
for them in case I need them.

Jill

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Tue, 19 May 2015 20:15:25 -0400, jmcquown >
wrote:

>On 5/19/2015 5:27 PM, Julie Bove wrote:

>>> Just my thoughts here Julie and I'm not judging you. But just opening
>>> a can of vegetables and eating them cold sounds like survival eating
>>> and not really enjoying a meal. I did that when I was in college and
>>> needed a quick fix but never since those days. That doesn't sound
>>> like enjoyable eating at all...just survival.

>> So? Do you really think those canned vegetables are going to be any
>> better when heated? Now some things, I would heat. Like potatoes. But
>> things like beans, corn and peas are fine at room temp. or chilled.
>> Look at any salad bar. They're there!

>Uh, except you're not at a salad bar. You're eating vegetables straight
>out of the can in your house. If you weren't in a house you'd come
>across as the equivalent of a bag lady. Please sir, do you have a can
>opener?

And washed down by one of 12 cans of sodas consumed each day.

Food is such a joyous and positive experience in the Bove household...
It really brings the family together too.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On 5/19/2015 5:31 PM, Julie Bove wrote:

> "Janet" > wrote in message
> t...
>> In article >, says...
>>>
>>> "Janet" > wrote in message
>>> t...

>>> laundry,
>>>
>>> What? People come to the door bringing food that they made? Hahaha.

>> Yes, this is a long held tradition in much of Scotland (and Ireland)
>>
>> *I*
>>> am pretty much the only person I know around here who makes food.

>> Most people bring home made comfort food; usual offerings are homely
>> stuff like soup, pies, home baking, rice pudding.
>>
>> Some of
>>> my friends do cook but they don't live anywhere near me.

>> This tradition is not about "friends"; its a community thing. Total
>> strangers offer and are offered the same support.

> That's just creepy! Nobody would do anything like that here and most
> people sure wouldn't accept such food.

There's absolutely nothing creepy about people pitching in to help each
other during a crisis. It's too bad you live in a weird little
insulated bubble.

In 2010 the attic fan for my HVAC unit died. There was a series of not
so comical mixups between the factory and the warehouse getting the part
so my AC was out for four days. It was June, already quite hot here in
SC. A couple of my neighbors offered to let me spend the night in their
guest bedrooms until it could be repaired. I didn't find that at all
"creepy", merely considerate. They probably would have tried to feed
me, too.

Fortunately the HVAC guys were able to bring me a portable AC unit to
use in the bedroom. That's all that really bothered me, trying to sleep
in excessive heat at night.

Jill
Posted to rec.food.cooking

"jmcquown" > wrote in message
> On 5/19/2015 5:27 PM, Julie Bove wrote:

>>> Just my thoughts here Julie and I'm not judging you. But just opening
>>> a can of vegetables and eating them cold sounds like survival eating
>>> and not really enjoying a meal. I did that when I was in college and
>>> needed a quick fix but never since those days. That doesn't sound
>>> like enjoyable eating at all...just survival.

>> So? Do you really think those canned vegetables are going to be any
>> better when heated? Now some things, I would heat. Like potatoes. But
>> things like beans, corn and peas are fine at room temp. or chilled.
>> Look at any salad bar. They're there!

> Uh, except you're not at a salad bar. You're eating vegetables straight
> out of the can in your house. If you weren't in a house you'd come across
> as the equivalent of a bag lady. Please sir, do you have a can opener?

So? What's the difference? Why does it bother you that I like them that
way? I actually *prefer* them that way and so does Angela. I don't dare
give them to husband like that. He's like you and prefers hot food. He
even nukes potato and pasta salad. Go figure.

I wouldn't have thought to do straight from the can until Angela was a
toddler. I read somewhere that the perfect finger food for them was green
beans straight from the can. To this day they are one of her favorite
foods. And because I knew that she liked them so much, I took them with us
on cross country moves. She and I could easily have a snack in our hotel
room or eat at a rest stop and that way we could avoid crappy fast food.
Husband refused to partake.

Tastes good to me and I don't really like foo fooey foods. I like plain and
simple. Somebody said to me the other day that they liked mac and cheese
and chicken strips because they were plain and simple. I had to chuckle. I
said that to me, plain and simple was canned green beans or an apple. That
is how I roll. I do like to cook foo fooey stuff. I just don't usually
like to eat it.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

"jmcquown" > wrote in message
> On 5/19/2015 3:58 PM, Gary wrote:
>> Julie Bove wrote:
>>>
>>> Why? I said that I was fine eating it straight from the can. No need
>>> heat it.

>> Just my thoughts here Julie and I'm not judging you. But just opening
>> a can of vegetables and eating them cold sounds like survival eating
>> and not really enjoying a meal. I did that when I was in college and
>> needed a quick fix but never since those days. That doesn't sound
>> like enjoyable eating at all...just survival.
>>

> Gary, when are you going to figure out she doesn't actually enjoy food?

I do enjoy some food. However, if you discover that many foods make you ill
and sometimes even something you considered to be a safe to eat food could,
if eaten at the wrong time make you violently ill, you'd start to think of
it as less than appealing. I do still like to cook though. And right now I
am getting super frustrated because I haven't been able to do it. The few
times I did cook, nobody came home to eat it. So...

I went to Big Lots today. I bought canned chili, Spam, canned ravioli and a
can of beef stew. The fridge is full of fresh fruits, vegetables and
cheese. And the stuff that I bought to make White Castle Casserole for me.
I will have to put that off again for another day because there is no room
in there for the leftovers. Tonight, if husband bothers to come home for
dinner, he can have chili dogs. Angela can have that and/or leftover mac
and cheese or whatever she wants to rustle up. She has mostly been making
her own meals now. She make guacamole from scratch last week. Found her
own recipe and everything.

But as for meals, no, I do not eat them to enjoy them. I pretty much eat
them because I have to. If I don't, I would die. At least eventually. And
I need to try to keep my blood sugar stable.