Posted to rec.food.cooking

Default Good-Bye

"Dave Smith" > wrote in message
> On 2014-10-18 8:45 AM, Janet wrote:
>
>>> Actually in the fast food places and other places here, the machines
>>> show
>>> what the change is to be.

>> Actually the till person still has to be able to COUNT OUT the change
>> the machine told them to give.
>>

> That's true, but I suspect that most people are experiencing the same
> thing I have been for some time now. They see the amount of change due
> and gather it up from the till then hand it to you. They may occasionally
> say how much they are giving up. The old style of counting up change,
> starting with the smallest coins, to dollars up to the amount of the bill
> tended is an almost lost art. I had someone do it last week and it
> surprised me because I had not experienced it for years.
>
> For instance..... If the total is ..say.. $12.43 and the customer tenders
> a $20 bill, the clerk enters the $20 tendered and the machine ells them
> them that they change is $7.57. Most clerks will now pull out a five, two
> ones two quarters a nickel and two pennies, and most don't even bother
> telling you the amount or to count it out.
>
> In counting out, the clerk would announce the $12.43 from $20 and count
> up, 2 pennies is 45 and 5 is 50, and 50 is $13, and 2 is $15 and 5 is $20.

That's exactly what I was talking aboutl, but Janet didn't get it.

Cheri

Posted to rec.food.cooking

"sf" > wrote in message
> On Fri, 17 Oct 2014 16:26:34 -0700, "Cheri" >
> wrote:
>

>> "Janet Bostwick" > wrote in message
>> news
>> > On Fri, 17 Oct 2014 14:17:37 -0400, Brooklyn1

>> > Look again. One rack is cut into serving pieces, the other rack is
>> > whole. I see no evidence of boiling. The meat looks juicy to me.
>> > Janet US

>> Looks great to me!
>>

> Thanks!

Not only does it look great, but I bet they were absolutely wonderful. I
will make some ribs soon because your pic had my mouth watering. LOL

Cheri

Posted to rec.food.cooking

"Cheri" > wrote in message

> "sf" > wrote in message
>> On Fri, 17 Oct 2014 16:26:34 -0700, "Cheri" >
>> wrote:
>>

>>> "Janet Bostwick" > wrote in message
>>> news >>> > On Fri, 17 Oct 2014 14:17:37 -0400, Brooklyn1

>>> Looks great to me!
>>>

>> Thanks!

> Not only does it look great, but I bet they were absolutely wonderful. I
> will make some ribs soon because your pic had my mouth watering. LOL

Yes, they look great
--
http://www.helpforheroes.org.uk/shop/

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Sat, 18 Oct 2014 09:49:37 -0600, Janet Bostwick
> wrote:

> It may
> have to do with the demeanor of the patron. There is just one foreign
> lady at a big box store, she appears severe, but maybe she is not that
> comfortable with English.

If she's from Eastern Europe, hubby and I attribute it to the Soviet
block mentality. We have Eastern Europeans here ("Russian", probably
Ukraine). You see them learn to smile and how to interact with the
public the American Way over time. Chinese are the same way. Go into
an Asian market that caters mainly to immigrant Asians and the
checkers don't smile, they're all business. It doesn't matter who
you are, everyone is treated the same. Pay and get out, no idle
chatter.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On 10/18/2014 12:58 PM, Cheri wrote:

> But most don't. They hand you the change and say 10.00 dollars and 40
> cents is your change fanning out the bills, and often the change at the
> supermarket comes out automatically into a coin tray.

All of that is fine with me, though I rarely use cash any more.
I carry around maybe $40, the same $40 for weeks on end.

I used to pay with cash, all I got for my trouble was extra trips to the
ATM and whatever goes along with keeping bills and coins
corralled.

nancy

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Sat, 18 Oct 2014 10:01:05 -0700, "Cheri" >
wrote:

> Not only does it look great, but I bet they were absolutely wonderful. I
> will make some ribs soon because your pic had my mouth watering. LOL

Son did the work, he said he shut the vents and starved the charcoal
of oxygen, so they burned very slowly. He cooked them two hours, rib
side down and then flipped them to brown the tops the last hour. I'm
going to get one of those rib rack holders for him (and one for me
too), so he can cook more racks at one time. They're only $10 at Home
Depot (order online and pick up at the store).

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On 2014-10-18 12:54 PM, sf wrote:

>>> It's still common to shop with cash here... in fact many shops
>>> discourage card payments for small purchases under £10, because the
>>> card transaction fee they pay erodes their profit margin.
>>>

>> It may erode their profit margin but OTOH, it may be a sale they would
>> otherwise not have made. I was in a coffee shop one day last week and a
>> guy paid for a cup of coffee to go with his credit card.
>>

> It was probably a debit card.

You are probably wrong. If he had said that he was putting it on his
debit card I would have said that he was putting it on his debit card.
He said he was paying with Visa.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On 2014-10-18 1:08 PM, sf wrote:

> If she's from Eastern Europe, hubby and I attribute it to the Soviet
> block mentality. We have Eastern Europeans here ("Russian", probably
> Ukraine). You see them learn to smile and how to interact with the
> public the American Way over time. Chinese are the same way. Go into
> an Asian market that caters mainly to immigrant Asians and the
> checkers don't smile, they're all business. It doesn't matter who
> you are, everyone is treated the same. Pay and get out, no idle
> chatter.

As opposed to my butchers. We place an order with the Dutch butcher on
Thursday or Friday and pick it up Saturday morning. You don't get out
with less than 5 minutes conversation. We forgot to order this week so
I went to our old butcher in town. All I got was a pound of ground meat
and he talked for a good 15 minutes.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

"graham" > wrote in message

> BTW "Credit" cards should really be called "Debt" cards, because that's
> what they are.
> Graham

Depends how you use them. We always use Credit cards for any major
purchase, especially online. Much better protection. We pay it off at the
end of the month and pay no interest.

--
http://www.helpforheroes.org.uk/shop/

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Sat, 18 Oct 2014 13:57:54 -0400, Dave Smith
> wrote:

> On 2014-10-18 1:08 PM, sf wrote:
>
> > If she's from Eastern Europe, hubby and I attribute it to the Soviet
> > block mentality. We have Eastern Europeans here ("Russian", probably
> > Ukraine). You see them learn to smile and how to interact with the
> > public the American Way over time. Chinese are the same way. Go into
> > an Asian market that caters mainly to immigrant Asians and the
> > checkers don't smile, they're all business. It doesn't matter who
> > you are, everyone is treated the same. Pay and get out, no idle
> > chatter.
> >

> As opposed to my butchers. We place an order with the Dutch butcher on
> Thursday or Friday and pick it up Saturday morning. You don't get out
> with less than 5 minutes conversation. We forgot to order this week so
> I went to our old butcher in town. All I got was a pound of ground meat
> and he talked for a good 15 minutes.

I'll hazard a guess and say you're the only poster on rfc with a Dutch
butcher.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On 10/18/2014 2:09 PM, Ophelia wrote:

> "graham" > wrote in message
>
>> BTW "Credit" cards should really be called "Debt" cards, because
>> that's what they are.

> Depends how you use them. We always use Credit cards for any major
> purchase, especially online. Much better protection. We pay it off at
> the end of the month and pay no interest.

Really. Credit cards are extremely useful tools. If you
get into trouble with them, that's not the card's fault.

nancy

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On 10/18/2014 2:09 PM, Ophelia wrote:
> "graham" > wrote
>> BTW "Credit" cards should really be called "Debt" cards, because
>> that's what they are.

> Depends how you use them. We always use Credit cards for any major
> purchase, especially online. Much better protection. We pay it off at
> the end of the month and pay no interest.

+1
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On 10/18/2014 1:55 PM, Dave Smith wrote:

>>> It may erode their profit margin but OTOH, it may be a sale they would
>>> otherwise not have made. I was in a coffee shop one day last week and a
>>> guy paid for a cup of coffee to go with his credit card.
>>>

>> It was probably a debit card.
>>

> You are probably wrong. If he had said that he was putting it on his
> debit card I would have said that he was putting it on his debit card.
> He said he was paying with Visa.

It may have been a rewards card. Some people use them for everything so
they can get cash back or airline miles, or whatever. I get monthly
notices from my CC company if I spend $x at a store I get 5% back.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On 10/18/2014 1:38 PM, Nancy Young wrote:
> On 10/18/2014 12:58 PM, Cheri wrote:
>
>> But most don't. They hand you the change and say 10.00 dollars and 40
>> cents is your change fanning out the bills, and often the change at the
>> supermarket comes out automatically into a coin tray.

> All of that is fine with me, though I rarely use cash any more.
> I carry around maybe $40, the same $40 for weeks on end.
>
> I used to pay with cash, all I got for my trouble was extra trips to the
> ATM and whatever goes along with keeping bills and coins
> corralled.
>
> nancy

Paying cash over a debit card saves time going reconciling your
statement every month for many small charges.

My bank is in the supermarket to I pass the ATM a couple of times a week
anyway. It would be a PITA to have to drive to an out of the way bank
or pay a fee to a foreign bank.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

"Nancy Young" > wrote in message
news
> On 10/18/2014 2:09 PM, Ophelia wrote:
>>

>> "graham" > wrote in message
>>
>>> BTW "Credit" cards should really be called "Debt" cards, because
>>> that's what they are.

>> Depends how you use them. We always use Credit cards for any major
>> purchase, especially online. Much better protection. We pay it off at
>> the end of the month and pay no interest.

> Really. Credit cards are extremely useful tools. If you
> get into trouble with them, that's not the card's fault.

Exactly!
--
http://www.helpforheroes.org.uk/shop/

Posted to rec.food.cooking

"Dave Smith" > wrote in message

>>> It may erode their profit margin but OTOH, it may be a sale they would
>>> otherwise not have made. I was in a coffee shop one day last week and a
>>> guy paid for a cup of coffee to go with his credit card.
>>>

>> It was probably a debit card.
>>

> You are probably wrong. If he had said that he was putting it on his debit
> card I would have said that he was putting it on his debit card. He said
> he was paying with Visa.

many debit cards are Visa branded.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On 2014-10-18 2:31 PM, Ed Pawlowski wrote:

> Many years ago I had credit card debt. One day I was thinking, I could
> sure use and extra $30 until payday. Then my credit card bill came and
> the interest charge was over $30. It hit me hard that the CC card
> company was not helping my financial situation so I paid it off and
> started saving more and paying cash for discounts. I do carry a debit
> csrd and a couple of CC in case I'm short on the green folding stuff,
> but i try not to use them.

I have a been a good boy with my credit cards. I used to use them in the
days before bank cards when we had to go through all sorts of hassles to
write a cheque. It was easier to just use the credit card and pay it at
the end of the month. Only on a few occasions did I use it as short term
credit, but even then only if the money to pay it off was going to be in
my account on time.

I am shocked at the credit card debt some young people have got
themselves into. I remember a coupe friends who had trouble scraping up
the money to make their minimum payment. Then one of my nephews go into
deep CC debt. He let it slip that he owed more than $40,000 on his
cards. The monthly interest would have been more than my monthly charges.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On 10/18/2014 2:44 PM, Ed Pawlowski wrote:
> On 10/18/2014 1:38 PM, Nancy Young wrote:
>> On 10/18/2014 12:58 PM, Cheri wrote:
>>
>>> But most don't. They hand you the change and say 10.00 dollars and 40
>>> cents is your change fanning out the bills, and often the change at the
>>> supermarket comes out automatically into a coin tray.

>> All of that is fine with me, though I rarely use cash any more.
>> I carry around maybe $40, the same $40 for weeks on end.
>>
>> I used to pay with cash, all I got for my trouble was extra trips to the
>> ATM and whatever goes along with keeping bills and coins
>> corralled.

> Paying cash over a debit card saves time going reconciling your
> statement every month for many small charges.

Admittedly I don't live a life where I find myself buying
coffee every day, things like that. Still, I have zero desire
to use a debit card. I live on credit cards. Well, that sounds
bad ... I mean, I pay with a credit card, and settle up when the
bill comes in.

> My bank is in the supermarket to I pass the ATM a couple of times a week
> anyway. It would be a PITA to have to drive to an out of the way bank
> or pay a fee to a foreign bank.

I have an allergy to bank fees. Heh. As it turns out, I am
reimbursed for a few foreign bank fees a month, but it doesn't
come up as I only go to my bank's machines, and there are lots
of them around.

nancy

Posted to rec.food.cooking

"Pico Rico" > wrote in message

>>> It was probably a debit card.
>>>

>> You are probably wrong. If he had said that he was putting it on his
>> debit card I would have said that he was putting it on his debit card. He
>> said he was paying with Visa.
>>

> many debit cards are Visa branded.

As is mine.

--
http://www.helpforheroes.org.uk/shop/

Posted to rec.food.cooking

In article >, says...

> >> Actually the till person still has to be able to COUNT OUT the change
> >> the machine told them to give.
> >>

> > That's true, but I suspect that most people are experiencing the same
> > thing I have been for some time now. They see the amount of change due
> > and gather it up from the till then hand it to you. They may occasionally
> > say how much they are giving up. The old style of counting up change,
> > starting with the smallest coins, to dollars up to the amount of the bill
> > tended is an almost lost art. I had someone do it last week and it
> > surprised me because I had not experienced it for years.
> >
> > For instance..... If the total is ..say.. $12.43 and the customer tenders
> > a $20 bill, the clerk enters the $20 tendered and the machine ells them
> > them that they change is $7.57. Most clerks will now pull out a five, two
> > ones two quarters a nickel and two pennies, and most don't even bother
> > telling you the amount or to count it out.
> >
> > In counting out, the clerk would announce the $12.43 from $20 and count
> > up, 2 pennies is 45 and 5 is 50, and 50 is $13, and 2 is $15 and 5 is $20.

> That's exactly what I was talking aboutl, but Janet didn't get it.

Its what till operators here still do. what part of that don't you
get, Cheri?

Janet UK

Janet

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Sat, 18 Oct 2014 15:21:40 -0400, Nancy Young
> wrote:

> Admittedly I don't live a life where I find myself buying
> coffee every day, things like that. Still, I have zero desire
> to use a debit card. I live on credit cards. Well, that sounds
> bad ... I mean, I pay with a credit card, and settle up when the
> bill comes in.

Ditto. We tried debit cards for a little while when they first came
out, but too much can go wrong and there's too much effort tied to
keeping your balance straight - so we switched to using credit cards
and cash only.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

Janet > wrote:
>david.smith says...

>> > Actually the till person still has to be able to COUNT OUT the change
>> > the machine told them to give.
>> >

>> That's true, but I suspect that most people are experiencing the same
>> thing I have been for some time now. They see the amount of change due
>> and gather it up from the till then hand it to you.

> Not here.

That's because everyone in Scotland still uses a miser purse. LOL

> They may
>> occasionally say how much they are giving up. The old style of counting
>> up change, starting with the smallest coins, to dollars up to the amount
>> of the bill tended is an almost lost art. I had someone do it last week
>> and it surprised me because I had not experienced it for years.

> It's still normal practice here to count the change back to the
>customer starting from pennies and ending with notes.
>
>It's still common to shop with cash here... in fact many shops
>discourage card payments for small purchases under £10, because the
> card transaction fee they pay erodes their profit margin.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

> wrote in message
> On Sat, 18 Oct 2014 15:18:18 -0400, Dave Smith
> > wrote:
>
>>On 2014-10-18 2:31 PM, Ed Pawlowski wrote:
>>
>>> Many years ago I had credit card debt. One day I was thinking, I could
>>> sure use and extra $30 until payday. Then my credit card bill came and
>>> the interest charge was over $30. It hit me hard that the CC card
>>> company was not helping my financial situation so I paid it off and
>>> started saving more and paying cash for discounts. I do carry a debit
>>> csrd and a couple of CC in case I'm short on the green folding stuff,
>>> but i try not to use them.

>>I have a been a good boy with my credit cards. I used to use them in the
>>days before bank cards when we had to go through all sorts of hassles to
>>write a cheque. It was easier to just use the credit card and pay it at
>>the end of the month. Only on a few occasions did I use it as short term
>>credit, but even then only if the money to pay it off was going to be in
>>my account on time.
>>
>>I am shocked at the credit card debt some young people have got
>>themselves into. I remember a coupe friends who had trouble scraping up
>>the money to make their minimum payment. Then one of my nephews go into
>>deep CC debt. He let it slip that he owed more than $40,000 on his
>>cards. The monthly interest would have been more than my monthly charges.

> Leaving your nephew aside I heard an item on CBC once where the man
> knew he was dying, so he went out and had fun with his credit cards.
> Now he didn't have a family who were dinged, it was amusing, he just
> felt he wanted to win at least one time against the banks

I guess if you don't mind departing out with the FRAUD checkbox filled in on
your scorecard. F'ing crook.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

> wrote in message
> On Sat, 18 Oct 2014 12:47:49 -0700, sf > wrote:
>
>>On Sat, 18 Oct 2014 15:21:40 -0400, Nancy Young
> wrote:
>>
>>> Admittedly I don't live a life where I find myself buying
>>> coffee every day, things like that. Still, I have zero desire
>>> to use a debit card. I live on credit cards. Well, that sounds
>>> bad ... I mean, I pay with a credit card, and settle up when the
>>> bill comes in.

>>Ditto. We tried debit cards for a little while when they first came
>>out, but too much can go wrong and there's too much effort tied to
>>keeping your balance straight - so we switched to using credit cards
>>and cash only.

> What can go wrong with a debit card??? I can view my statement online
> anytime and see daily debits.

fraud protection is not nearly as good as with credit cards. And, with a
credit card, YOU have the money while errors/fraud is sorted out.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Sat, 18 Oct 2014 13:55:25 -0400, Dave Smith
> wrote:

>>> It may erode their profit margin but OTOH, it may be a sale they would
>>> otherwise not have made. I was in a coffee shop one day last week and a
>>> guy paid for a cup of coffee to go with his credit card.
>>>

>> It was probably a debit card.
>>

>You are probably wrong. If he had said that he was putting it on his
>debit card I would have said that he was putting it on his debit card.
>He said he was paying with Visa.

Visa has both credit and debit cards... I've had a Visa debit card for
many years but I've never used it, I'm sure I'd need to revalidate it,
more likely need to have a new one issued. Using debit cards is a
great way for people to nickle and dime themselves into debt. I have
an ATM card too, I've never used it. Just looked, my Visa ATM card
says good thru 05/04.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Sat, 18 Oct 2014 19:09:25 +0100, "Ophelia"
> wrote:

>"graham" > wrote in message
>
>> BTW "Credit" cards should really be called "Debt" cards, because that's
>> what they are.
>> Graham

>Depends how you use them. We always use Credit cards for any major
>purchase, especially online. Much better protection. We pay it off at the
>end of the month and pay no interest.

For major purchases like TV sets I use AMEX, they double the warranty
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On 2014-10-18 4:24 PM, Brooklyn1 wrote:

>>> It was probably a debit card.
>>>

>> You are probably wrong. If he had said that he was putting it on his
>> debit card I would have said that he was putting it on his debit card.
>> He said he was paying with Visa.

> Visa has both credit and debit cards... I've had a Visa debit card for
> many years but I've never used it, I'm sure I'd need to revalidate it,
> more likely need to have a new one issued. Using debit cards is a
> great way for people to nickle and dime themselves into debt. I have
> an ATM card too, I've never used it. Just looked, my Visa ATM card
> says good thru 05/04.

In which case we would likely have said that he was paying with debit
rather than saying he was putting it on his Visa.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

"Brooklyn1" > wrote in message
> On Sat, 18 Oct 2014 19:09:25 +0100, "Ophelia"
> > wrote:
>

>>"graham" > wrote in message
>>
>>> BTW "Credit" cards should really be called "Debt" cards, because that's
>>> what they are.
>>> Graham

>>Depends how you use them. We always use Credit cards for any major
>>purchase, especially online. Much better protection. We pay it off at the
>>end of the month and pay no interest.

> For major purchases like TV sets I use AMEX, they double the warranty

Ok but we've never had any problem with CC)

--
http://www.helpforheroes.org.uk/shop/

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Sat, 18 Oct 2014 10:08:48 -0700, sf > wrote:

>On Sat, 18 Oct 2014 09:49:37 -0600, Janet Bostwick
> wrote:
>
>> It may
>> have to do with the demeanor of the patron. There is just one foreign
>> lady at a big box store, she appears severe, but maybe she is not that
>> comfortable with English.

>If she's from Eastern Europe, hubby and I attribute it to the Soviet
>block mentality. We have Eastern Europeans here ("Russian", probably
>Ukraine). You see them learn to smile and how to interact with the
>public the American Way over time. Chinese are the same way. Go into
>an Asian market that caters mainly to immigrant Asians and the
>checkers don't smile, they're all business. It doesn't matter who
>you are, everyone is treated the same. Pay and get out, no idle
>chatter.

Somewhere between Turkey, Pakistan and maybe parts of Russia. She
wears a babushka or similar.
Janet US
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Sat, 18 Oct 2014 11:45:16 -0400, Gary > wrote:

>Brooklyn1 wrote:
>>
>> "David E. Ross" wrote:
>> >
>> >I though rec.food.cooking would be a good place to share recipes and to
>> >locate hard-to-find ingredients. Yes, that is possible here. However,
>> >the useful messages are drowned by insults, personal attacks, and just
>> >plain rudeness.
>> >
>> >I am unsubscribing rec.food.cooking. Don't bother replying since I will
>> >unsubscribe immediately after hitting "Send" for this message.

>> Aww, poor baby... your widdle feelings are hurt... that you haven't
>> the fortitude to endure an unmoderated Newsgroup is solely your
>> ineptitude. There do exist several moderated food/cooking froups for
>> yoose wussy wimps... or subsribe to r.f.c. at facebook, ideal for
>> yoose uber polite political correctness tissue paper thin skinned
>> Super Wussy Wimps.

>LMAO! You make a lot of enemies here Sheldon but I, at least,
>understand your humor. I think I do anyway. You exaggerate to the
>extreme to make a point. I find humor in your rants while others get
>all offended. Live long and prosper!

Many people get offended when they hear the truth.

>Ps - I don't always comment on your pictures but I enjoy seeing them
>all!

I'm glad you enjoy. I'm not in the least concerned about those who
claim to use killfiles, I don't post for any one person, It's a
Newsgroup, I post for everyones benefit. If there's someone I'd
rather ignore I do. Killfiles are strictly for the weakminded.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Saturday, October 18, 2014 4:15:27 PM UTC-4, JohnJohn wrote:
> On Sat, 18 Oct 2014 13:10:42 -0700, sf > wrote:
> >On Sat, 18 Oct 2014 16:50:57 -0300, wrote:

> >> What can go wrong with a debit card???

> >It can be lost or stolen and your account emptied with no recourse.

The VISA and MasterCard branded cards all seem to offer the same recourse as their regular credit cards on their debit cards. I still won't use one, but the "no recourse" argument is mostly specious.

> Don't your debit cards come with a code without which they're useless?

The problem is that about 20 years ago the credit card companies managed to redefine the term "debit card" in the USA. At least that seems to be what happened. It used to be that what are now called "ATM only" cards were called debit cards. VISA and MasterCard started putting their brand on them and made them both debit and credit in one card, but called them debit cards. Now most folks, including bank employees, don't realize that ATM only cards can be used as debit cards with the big difference being you *must* use a PIN and it can't be used like a credit card. So, if you lose it, the thief has to also know your PIN to use it, and has to go to a terminal where the card is swiped/read and the PIN entered. They can't just go on-line and order stuff off Amazon or whatever.

I recently had to switch banks because mine was bought out and they stopped allowing their ATM cards to be used at point-of-sale terminals. I had several people at that bank insist that ATM cards never worked for that, nevermind that I have been doing it for 20+ years. There seems to be a lot of deliberate obfuscation and lack of transparency with the big banks and credit card companies. Whether that's intentional or not is left for you to decide for yourselves.

Bill Ranck
Blacksburg, VA
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Sat, 18 Oct 2014 09:49:37 -0600, Janet Bostwick
> wrote:

>On Sat, 18 Oct 2014 10:14:34 -0400, Brooklyn1
> wrote:
>
>snip
>>But they no longer count out the change as they hand it to the patron,
>>they throw it all in a wad onto the counter, bills and coins all
>>together... used to be if a patron spent say $13.95 and tendered a
>>twenty, the change was returned directly into the patron's hand in a
>>specific order while counting out loud... first a nickle while saying
>>fifteen and then a five while saying and twenty. And they'd place the
>>patron's twenty on the register sill and not place it into the
>>register drawer until the transaction was completed. And they used to
>>say thank you... today they don't even look at you, they are too busy
>>having a conversation with another employee, even on their cell phone.
>>They don't allow enough time to scoop up your change, count it
>>yourself, and put it away before they are scanning the next batch of
>>groceries.

>I just don't experience what you describe. I get exchange of
>pleasantries, smiles, conversational gambits, the total amount of the
>sale. I announce the amount I am giving if it is over the sale
>amount. The cashier pulls the change from the till and tells me how
>much the sale was, the change amount, and then counts it all back to
>me. Finishing with 'Have a good day' or something similar. It may
>have to do with the demeanor of the patron. There is just one foreign
>lady at a big box store, she appears severe, but maybe she is not that
>comfortable with English.
>Janet US

It's still that way with the small in town businesses... can require a
10 minute conversation to buy a bottle at the local package store. But
at the large chain stores I receive as much pleasantry as I do
shopping on line.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Sat, 18 Oct 2014 11:24:33 -0700, sf > wrote:

>On Sat, 18 Oct 2014 13:57:54 -0400, Dave Smith
> wrote:
>
>> On 2014-10-18 1:08 PM, sf wrote:
>>
>> > If she's from Eastern Europe, hubby and I attribute it to the Soviet
>> > block mentality. We have Eastern Europeans here ("Russian", probably
>> > Ukraine). You see them learn to smile and how to interact with the
>> > public the American Way over time. Chinese are the same way. Go into
>> > an Asian market that caters mainly to immigrant Asians and the
>> > checkers don't smile, they're all business. It doesn't matter who
>> > you are, everyone is treated the same. Pay and get out, no idle
>> > chatter.
>> >

>> As opposed to my butchers. We place an order with the Dutch butcher on
>> Thursday or Friday and pick it up Saturday morning. You don't get out
>> with less than 5 minutes conversation. We forgot to order this week so
>> I went to our old butcher in town. All I got was a pound of ground meat
>> and he talked for a good 15 minutes.

>I'll hazard a guess and say you're the only poster on rfc with a Dutch
>butcher.

There's a German Butcher shop here.