Posted to rec.food.cooking

Default Good-Bye

On 2014-10-18 4:43 PM, Brooklyn1 wrote:

>> LMAO! You make a lot of enemies here Sheldon but I, at least,
>> understand your humor. I think I do anyway. You exaggerate to the
>> extreme to make a point. I find humor in your rants while others get
>> all offended. Live long and prosper!

> Many people get offended when they hear the truth.

LOL... some people get ofended when they hear the truth about your
fascination with boobs.
;-)

Posted to rec.food.cooking

> wrote in message
> On Sat, 18 Oct 2014 13:00:09 -0700, "Pico Rico"
> > wrote:
>

> wrote in message
. ..

>>> What can go wrong with a debit card??? I can view my statement online
>>> anytime and see daily debits.

>>fraud protection is not nearly as good as with credit cards. And, with a
>>credit card, YOU have the money while errors/fraud is sorted out.
>>

> Well have been using a debit card since they came out, no probs.

Well, then I guess there is no possibility of anyone ever having a problem
then! Proof positive!

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Sat, 18 Oct 2014 16:51:15 -0400, Dave Smith
> wrote:

>On 2014-10-18 4:43 PM, Brooklyn1 wrote:
>>
>>> LMAO! You make a lot of enemies here Sheldon but I, at least,
>>> understand your humor. I think I do anyway. You exaggerate to the
>>> extreme to make a point. I find humor in your rants while others get
>>> all offended. Live long and prosper!

>> Many people get offended when they hear the truth.

>LOL... some people get ofended when they hear the truth about your
>fascination with boobs.
>;-)

A lot of people like to be offended.
Not that they would even admit that to themselves...
Posted to rec.food.cooking

In article >,
says...

wrote:

> > >It can be lost or stolen and your account emptied with no recourse.

> The VISA and MasterCard branded cards all seem to offer the same recourse as their regular credit cards on their debit cards. I still won't use one, but the "no recourse" argument is mostly specious.
> >
> > Don't your debit cards come with a code without which they're useless?

> The problem is that about 20 years ago the credit card companies managed to redefine the term "debit card" in the USA. At least that seems to be what happened. It used to be that what are now called "ATM only" cards were called debit cards. VISA and MasterCard started putting their brand on them and made them both debit and credit in one card, but called them debit cards. Now most folks, including bank employees, don't realize that ATM only cards can be used as

debit cards with the big difference being you *must* use a PIN and it can't be used like a credit card. So, if you lose it, the thief has to also know your PIN to use it, and has to go to a terminal where the card is swiped/read and the PIN entered. They can't just go on-line and order stuff off Amazon or whatever.

> I recently had to switch banks because mine was bought out and they stopped allowing their ATM cards to be used at point-of-sale terminals. I had several people at that bank insist that ATM cards never worked for that, nevermind that I have been doing it for 20+ years. There seems to be a lot of deliberate obfuscation and lack of transparency with the big banks and credit card companies. Whether that's intentional or not is left for you to decide for yourselves.
>
> Bill Ranck
> Blacksburg, VA

I wondered why Americans were talking about ATM cards.

In the UK, debit and credit cards can be used in ATMs

Fraud losses on credit and debit cards are covered by the issuing
bank.

Janet UK
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Fri, 17 Oct 2014 21:05:01 -0400, Dave Smith
> wrote:

>On 2014-10-17 19:54, Jeßus wrote:
>
>>> Actually in the fast food places and other places here, the machines show
>>> what the change is to be.

>> We have that as well, but here it's still normal practice to have your
>> change counted back to you.
>>

>Just about every store and restaurant around here is equipped with one
>of the modern cash registers that calculates change. I did not that in
>the last week two clerks have actually counted out my change for me. It
>is more common for them to simply hand me the change and not say a word.

The day will probably come where that is the case here as well.
We just haven't quite dumbed down our education system enough... but
they're working on it.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Sat, 18 Oct 2014 16:35:34 -0400, Dave Smith
> wrote:

>>> You are probably wrong. If he had said that he was putting it on his
>>> debit card I would have said that he was putting it on his debit card.
>>> He said he was paying with Visa.

>> Visa has both credit and debit cards... I've had a Visa debit card for
>> many years but I've never used it, I'm sure I'd need to revalidate it,
>> more likely need to have a new one issued. Using debit cards is a
>> great way for people to nickle and dime themselves into debt. I have
>> an ATM card too, I've never used it. Just looked, my Visa ATM card
>> says good thru 05/04.
>>

>In which case we would likely have said that he was paying with debit
>rather than saying he was putting it on his Visa.

It's never made a difference with mine, which I've had for about 15
years now. VISA debit or credit... makes no practical difference to
the merchant. They still get their money, one way or the other.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Saturday, October 18, 2014 4:48:24 PM UTC-4, Brooklyn1 wrote:
> On Sat, 18 Oct 2014 09:49:37 -0600, Janet Bostwick
>
> > wrote:
>

> >On Sat, 18 Oct 2014 10:14:34 -0400, Brooklyn1

> > wrote:

> >snip

> >>But they no longer count out the change as they hand it to the patron,

> >>they throw it all in a wad onto the counter, bills and coins all

> >>together... used to be if a patron spent say $13.95 and tendered a

> >>twenty, the change was returned directly into the patron's hand in a

> >>specific order while counting out loud... first a nickle while saying

> >>fifteen and then a five while saying and twenty. And they'd place the

> >>patron's twenty on the register sill and not place it into the

> >>register drawer until the transaction was completed. And they used to

> >>say thank you... today they don't even look at you, they are too busy

> >>having a conversation with another employee, even on their cell phone.

> >>They don't allow enough time to scoop up your change, count it

> >>yourself, and put it away before they are scanning the next batch of

> >>groceries.

> >I just don't experience what you describe. I get exchange of

> >pleasantries, smiles, conversational gambits, the total amount of the

> >sale. I announce the amount I am giving if it is over the sale

> >amount. The cashier pulls the change from the till and tells me how

> >much the sale was, the change amount, and then counts it all back to

> >me. Finishing with 'Have a good day' or something similar. It may

> >have to do with the demeanor of the patron. There is just one foreign

> >lady at a big box store, she appears severe, but maybe she is not that

> >comfortable with English.

> >Janet US

> It's still that way with the small in town businesses... can require a
>
> 10 minute conversation to buy a bottle at the local package store. But
>
> at the large chain stores I receive as much pleasantry as I do
>
> shopping on line.

That's because you're a pig-man and only small businesses have to put up with being nice to a pig-man.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Saturday, October 18, 2014 5:15:11 PM UTC-4, Je�us wrote:
> On Sat, 18 Oct 2014 16:35:34 -0400, Dave Smith
>
> > wrote:

> >> Visa has both credit and debit cards... I've had a Visa debit card for

> >> many years but I've never used it, I'm sure I'd need to revalidate it,

> >> more likely need to have a new one issued. Using debit cards is a

> >> great way for people to nickle and dime themselves into debt. I have

> >> an ATM card too, I've never used it. Just looked, my Visa ATM card

> >> says good thru 05/04.

> >In which case we would likely have said that he was paying with debit

> >rather than saying he was putting it on his Visa.

> It's never made a difference with mine, which I've had for about 15
>
> years now. VISA debit or credit... makes no practical difference to
>
> the merchant. They still get their money, one way or the other.

Your lack of knowledge of how the First World works never ceases to amaze me. Isn't it time for you to go feed the dingos, sally?
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On 2014-10-18 4:00 PM, Pico Rico wrote:

>> What can go wrong with a debit card??? I can view my statement online
>> anytime and see daily debits.

> fraud protection is not nearly as good as with credit cards. And, with a
> credit card, YOU have the money while errors/fraud is sorted out.

I have had mixed experiences with that. I rarely use my credit cards for
store purchases. A couple years ago I went Christmas Shopping and put a
bunch of stuff on the card. The CC company called my house and said
there had been a bunch of purchases made of a short period of time and
asked if it was us using the card.

There was only one time that I discovered a fraudulent use of my card.
We had been out for an expensive lunch and put on on MasterCard. When
the MC bill came at the end of the month there were two charges, the one
we had and one a few days later for a slightly different amount. I
called immediately. MC called the restaurant and got a story about how
they were new and thought the charger had not gone through so they did
it again.... for a slightly different amount ??? They were going to
issue a credit. They didn't. There had been no adjustment the next
month, so I called again. I was told MC was going to ask for hard
copies, and if they did not send them within 45<?> days I would not be
liable for the charges... either one. When I called back they were
still waiting.

Finally, some time in Feb., 5 months after the fraud, I was in the area
working and went into the restaurant. It may have helped that I was in
uniform. They cut me a cheque. I cashed it immediately. By coincidence,
the woman from MC called that night and asked if there had been any
resolution to the problem. I told her that earlier that day the
restaurant had written me a cheque. She expressed relief and said that
after all this time there was not much they would be able to do.

????? After all this time?? I contacted them immediately. They talked to
the owner and the problem was acknowledged. They later said if they
didn't get the the hard copies I was not liable for the charges. They
never got them. So, pardon me if I don't have a lot of faith with CC
companies and fraud.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

"Dave Smith" > wrote in message
> On 2014-10-18 4:00 PM, Pico Rico wrote:
>
>>> What can go wrong with a debit card??? I can view my statement online
>>> anytime and see daily debits.

>> fraud protection is not nearly as good as with credit cards. And, with a
>> credit card, YOU have the money while errors/fraud is sorted out.
>>

> I have had mixed experiences with that. I rarely use my credit cards for
> store purchases. A couple years ago I went Christmas Shopping and put a
> bunch of stuff on the card. The CC company called my house and said there
> had been a bunch of purchases made of a short period of time and asked if
> it was us using the card.
>
> There was only one time that I discovered a fraudulent use of my card. We
> had been out for an expensive lunch and put on on MasterCard. When the MC
> bill came at the end of the month there were two charges, the one we had
> and one a few days later for a slightly different amount. I called
> immediately. MC called the restaurant and got a story about how they were
> new and thought the charger had not gone through so they did it again....
> for a slightly different amount ??? They were going to issue a credit.
> They didn't. There had been no adjustment the next month, so I called
> again. I was told MC was going to ask for hard copies, and if they did not
> send them within 45<?> days I would not be liable for the charges...
> either one. When I called back they were still waiting.
>
> Finally, some time in Feb., 5 months after the fraud, I was in the area
> working and went into the restaurant. It may have helped that I was in
> uniform. They cut me a cheque. I cashed it immediately. By coincidence,
> the woman from MC called that night and asked if there had been any
> resolution to the problem. I told her that earlier that day the restaurant
> had written me a cheque. She expressed relief and said that after all
> this time there was not much they would be able to do.
>
> ????? After all this time?? I contacted them immediately. They talked to
> the owner and the problem was acknowledged. They later said if they
> didn't get the the hard copies I was not liable for the charges. They
> never got them. So, pardon me if I don't have a lot of faith with CC
> companies and fraud.

I never said it was ideal. I said you have better legal protections in the
US with credit cards vs. debit cards.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On 2014-10-18 5:05 PM, Jeßus wrote:

>>> Many people get offended when they hear the truth.

>> LOL... some people get ofended when they hear the truth about your
>> fascination with boobs.
>> ;-)

> A lot of people like to be offended.
> Not that they would even admit that to themselves...

There was a perfect case of that in a recent news report. A woman in
Montreal was offended when she went into a trendy little shoppe and saw
T shirts with images of Hitler sporting an Afro. She went to her lawyer
and had him send the store a letter demanding that they remove the
offensive images and went to the press.

A spokesman for the Centre For Israeli and Jewish Affairs said the
images were harmless. Personally, I think there is some humour to
portraying the uber racist in an Afro, but perhaps I should be offended
that they only reported on the views of a Jewish group, because there
were a lot of other people who were persecuted and victimized by Nazis.
I too could have my 15 minutes of fame.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On 2014-10-18 5:15 PM, Jeßus wrote:

>> In which case we would likely have said that he was paying with debit
>> rather than saying he was putting it on his Visa.

> It's never made a difference with mine, which I've had for about 15
> years now. VISA debit or credit... makes no practical difference to
> the merchant. They still get their money, one way or the other.

yeah but,... I was there when they guy said he was putting it (his cup
of coffee ) on Visa but sf was the one who said it was probably a debit
card. I guess she knows better because I was the one who was there.
?
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On 10/17/2014 1:44 PM, Brooklyn1 wrote:
> Nowadays kids never learn to speak,

So, they're all mutes?

> can't read or write either... and
> they don't know any math... ask any 12 year old how much is 2 + 3 and
> they reach for their calculator. Whan was the last time you paid
> with cash and your change was counted out...

That would be the when I went to that damn illiterate don't have a cash
register farm stand. LOL They weigh the vegetables and tell me what it
costs and everything. And yessum' missus, dey knows how to count back
change!

> has to be at least 25
> years since anyone has counted out change. Today most pay with
> plastic, check out people get all befuddled when I hand them cash.

I'll admit there is a lack of knowledge about the basics in our younger
population. But it's simply because no one has been taught to do it.
We don't have to let electronic cash registers take over the world.

Jill

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Sat, 18 Oct 2014 14:32:33 -0700, "Pico Rico"
> wrote:

> "Dave Smith" > wrote in message
> >
> > ????? After all this time?? I contacted them immediately. They talked to
> > the owner and the problem was acknowledged. They later said if they
> > didn't get the the hard copies I was not liable for the charges. They
> > never got them. So, pardon me if I don't have a lot of faith with CC
> > companies and fraud.

> I never said it was ideal. I said you have better legal protections in the
> US with credit cards vs. debit cards.

I don't know why cc companies operate differently between here and
Canada. I expect my cc company to take the charge off my bill and
deal with it themselves (which means they won't bother with an amount
like Dave's because it's so paltry - as evidenced by his experience).

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On 2014-10-18 5:54 PM, James Silverton wrote:

> The big problem to me is because I check all receipts against what I am
> billed. It's a big enough pain with my $10 limit but I don't want to go
> thro' the many more receipts if I use $5. It is very seldom that I find
> mistakes but I do find enough of them to make me cautious.

I used to have more money in the bank before I got an ATM card. I have
always given myself a weekly allowance for everyday items. When I was
working that included meals, coffee breaks, gasoline, magazines,
cigarettes (when I used used to smoke) an occasional drink in a bar.
Other purchases were either by check or put on a CC.

Since I retired my weekly allowance dropped a lot. I no longer have the
more or less predictable costs of gasoline and meals. However, a lot of
things now get paid for by debit. My allowance buys coffee and muffins
when I am out bicycling, magazine, gas for the motorcycle, fresh fruit
and vegetables at local stands, and maybe one lunch per week. Most other
things are paid by debit.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Sat, 18 Oct 2014 17:53:37 -0400, Dave Smith
> wrote:

>On 2014-10-18 5:15 PM, Jeßus wrote:
>>

>>> In which case we would likely have said that he was paying with debit
>>> rather than saying he was putting it on his Visa.

>> It's never made a difference with mine, which I've had for about 15
>> years now. VISA debit or credit... makes no practical difference to
>> the merchant. They still get their money, one way or the other.
>>

>yeah but,... I was there when they guy said he was putting it (his cup
>of coffee ) on Visa but sf was the one who said it was probably a debit
>card. I guess she knows better because I was the one who was there.
>?

LOL, fair enough
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On 2014-10-18 5:56 PM, jmcquown wrote:
> On 10/17/2014 1:44 PM, Brooklyn1 wrote:
>> Nowadays kids never learn to speak,

> So, they're all mutes?

No. It is "... know what I mean... "
No. I don't know what you mean.... because you can't express it in
words. ;-)

> I'll admit there is a lack of knowledge about the basics in our younger
> population. But it's simply because no one has been taught to do it. We
> don't have to let electronic cash registers take over the world.

My wife told me today about an recent incident regarding telling time on
an analog clock. I should preface it by explaining that the girl is a
university student, her mother is a nurse and the father is a doctor.
Her mother asked her to look at the clock and tell her the time. She
came back and explained the position of the hands. She could not read
the time on an analog clock. The curious thing is that my wife
explained it in terms of not being able to translate analog to digital

I have issues with telling time and using a 24 hour clock. When I was
working we used a 24 hour clock. I set my digital watches and clocks to
the 24 hour clock. If I am wearing my analog watch or their is an
analog clock and someone asks me the time I automatically tell them the
time on a 12 hour clock. If I am wearing a digital watch it is set to 24
hour cycle and if someone asks me the time I have no trouble before
noon. However, if it is after noon I get slightly befuddled. While I
automatically recognize the 24 hour time I will also be inclined to tell
the time based on a 12 hour clock.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On 2014-10-18 5:59 PM, Jeßus wrote:

>> Mine isn't. There is a built in over draft. Then it automatically
>> transfers money from my savings account to chequing.

> Thanks for the clarification, ours is *entirely* different in that
> respect - you (or a scammer) can only spend as much as your account
> balance has. Sounds like your banks are even more underhanded than
> ours are...

Oh? Our baking system did not collapse.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Sat, 18 Oct 2014 18:14:06 -0400, Dave Smith
> wrote:

>On 2014-10-18 5:59 PM, Jeßus wrote:
>
>>> Mine isn't. There is a built in over draft. Then it automatically
>>> transfers money from my savings account to chequing.

>> Thanks for the clarification, ours is *entirely* different in that
>> respect - you (or a scammer) can only spend as much as your account
>> balance has. Sounds like your banks are even more underhanded than
>> ours are...

>Oh? Our baking system did not collapse.

Huh?
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Saturday, October 18, 2014 2:21:40 PM UTC-5, Nancy Young wrote:
> On 10/18/2014 2:44 PM, Ed Pawlowski wrote:

> >> All of that is fine with me, though I rarely use cash any more.

> >> I carry around maybe $40, the same $40 for weeks on end.

> >> I used to pay with cash, all I got for my trouble was extra trips to the

> >> ATM and whatever goes along with keeping bills and coins

> >> corralled.

> > Paying cash over a debit card saves time going reconciling your

> > statement every month for many small charges.

> Admittedly I don't live a life where I find myself buying
>
> coffee every day, things like that. Still, I have zero desire
>
> to use a debit card. I live on credit cards. Well, that sounds
>
> bad ... I mean, I pay with a credit card, and settle up when the
>
> bill comes in.
>

> > My bank is in the supermarket to I pass the ATM a couple of times a week

> > anyway. It would be a PITA to have to drive to an out of the way bank

> > or pay a fee to a foreign bank.

> I have an allergy to bank fees. Heh. As it turns out, I am
>
> reimbursed for a few foreign bank fees a month, but it doesn't
>
> come up as I only go to my bank's machines, and there are lots
>
> of them around.

We have two debit cards, both linked to the same checking account. One is
bank issued and we use that at only one store, ALDI, where we can also get
cash back. The other is a Target Red Card, good only at Target, but you
can get cash back with that too, and you get 5% off stuff you buy at Target,
which is where the Friskies canned cat food comes from, and we buy socks
there, and jeans for my son. Everywhere else we use the credit card, except
at fast food joints and other low cost places where we use cash. Oh, and we
pay cash at Costco too.

> nancy

--Bryan

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On 2014-10-18 6:00 PM, sf wrote:
> On Sat, 18 Oct 2014 14:32:33 -0700, "Pico Rico"
> > wrote:
>

>> "Dave Smith" > wrote in message
>>>
>>> ????? After all this time?? I contacted them immediately. They talked to
>>> the owner and the problem was acknowledged. They later said if they
>>> didn't get the the hard copies I was not liable for the charges. They
>>> never got them. So, pardon me if I don't have a lot of faith with CC
>>> companies and fraud.

>> I never said it was ideal. I said you have better legal protections in the
>> US with credit cards vs. debit cards.
>>

> I don't know why cc companies operate differently between here and
> Canada. I expect my cc company to take the charge off my bill and
> deal with it themselves (which means they won't bother with an amount
> like Dave's because it's so paltry - as evidenced by his experience).

Paltry? It was about $45, and that was quite a few years ago. Would
you consider $45 to be something too paltry to worry about? You'd just
roll over and pay the restaurant for two very expensive lunches when you
had only one?
Posted to rec.food.cooking

wrote:

>>> Mine do, really less chance someone will want to try and use that than
>>> a credit card.
>>>

>> There are still scams. A friend of mine got ripped off for $1300 on her
>> debit card after using it at a local gas station. Gas stations seem to
>> be the most common places for card readers to be installed on the
>> machines. They get your card number and PIN and then start sucking money
>> out of your account. It is a good idea to change PINs frequently.

> If you aren't putting the card in a regular looking slot, you should
> be very suspicious!
>>
>> This scam seems to be used primarily by a couple specific ethnic types.
>> I protect myself by not patronizing them. If I go into a gas station
>> and it's run by members of those groups, I pay cash instead of debit or
>> credit, and the next time I go elsewhere. My brother had a similar
>> incident with his credit card at a different gas station. Within a day
>> of him using his card at a local gas station his CC number was used in
>> business in South Carolina.

> I think that's a hateful thing to say.

Hateful??? I didn't say which ethic groups I was concerned with. I will
leave that to your own particular prejudices.... or experiences.

> My daughter had to change her
> visa after it was ripped by someone at Air Canada when she booked her
> ticket online...nothing ethnic, probably a good white Canuck!!

Probably white?? Which version of white??? One of the cultural groups I
was alluding to is white.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

Jeßus > wrote in
:

>>In which case we would likely have said that he was paying
>>with debit rather than saying he was putting it on his Visa.

> It's never made a difference with mine, which I've had for
> about 15 years now. VISA debit or credit... makes no practical
> difference to the merchant. They still get their money, one
> way or the other.

At the risk of probably repeating something that has already been
said, the difference is both to the consumer and the merchant.
Debit cards (mine is affiliated with my credit union) rarely if
ever charge the buyer for a transaction. If you use it to
withdraw cash at another bank's ABM, then yes you will be charged
an amount, usually stated before you complete the transaction so
you can choose to cancel. Amounts vary between 1,50$CDN and
2,25$CDN in Canada, more (gougier) in the US with fees of 3,00$US
or more. However, payment is immediate and withdrawal is
immediate so no lingering interest fees come to disturb the
repose of the weary shopper.

A credit card transaction, on the other hand, is fraught with
pitfalls, interest accruing, etc. Furthermore, the charges for
processing a transaction are a percentage of the overall
transaction. So if you buy a packet of chewing gum, it won't
kill you, but if you buy a brand new car, that amount will be
considerably higher than if you bought the same car and paid with
a debit card at 0$ fee for buyer transactions. The merchant may
have to pay something with a debit card but noth the buyer and
merchant will undoubtedly have to pay something when a credit
card is used.

Of course, this is in Canada. In the US, YMMV.

--

Socialism never took root in America because the
poor there see themselves not as an exploited

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On 2014-10-18 6:23 PM, Jeßus wrote:
> On Sat, 18 Oct 2014 18:14:06 -0400, Dave Smith
> > wrote:

>>> Thanks for the clarification, ours is *entirely* different in that
>>> respect - you (or a scammer) can only spend as much as your account
>>> balance has. Sounds like your banks are even more underhanded than
>>> ours are...

>> Oh? Our baking system did not collapse.

> Huh?

Ooops.... banking