Posted to rec.food.cooking

Default Good-Bye

"Pico Rico" > wrote in message

> > wrote in message
>> On Sat, 18 Oct 2014 12:47:49 -0700, sf > wrote:

>>>Ditto. We tried debit cards for a little while when they first came
>>>out, but too much can go wrong and there's too much effort tied to
>>>keeping your balance straight - so we switched to using credit cards
>>>and cash only.

>> What can go wrong with a debit card??? I can view my statement online
>> anytime and see daily debits.

> fraud protection is not nearly as good as with credit cards. And, with a
> credit card, YOU have the money while errors/fraud is sorted out.

Good point. I was reading an article about how sometimes it can take a bank
up to six months to straighten out fraud with a debit card while you're
waiting for your money. I don't usually use a debit card, so not from first
hand experience, but I had no reason do disbelieve the newspaper article.

Cheri

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Sat, 18 Oct 2014 18:56:34 -0400, Dave Smith
> wrote:

>On 2014-10-18 6:23 PM, Jeßus wrote:
>> On Sat, 18 Oct 2014 18:14:06 -0400, Dave Smith
>> > wrote:

>>> Oh? Our baking system did not collapse.

>> Huh?
>>

>Ooops.... banking

I worked that much out, I was huh-ing at the mention of banking
systems collapsing. Unless you mean your bread maker is very reliable?

OB Food: Scotch fillet, mashed potato with horseradish and NO
asparagus spears... the frost got to them. I was so looking forward to
that asparagus
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Sat, 18 Oct 2014 18:48:41 -0400, Dave Smith
> wrote:

> On 2014-10-18 6:00 PM, sf wrote:
> > On Sat, 18 Oct 2014 14:32:33 -0700, "Pico Rico"
> > > wrote:

> >> I never said it was ideal. I said you have better legal protections in the
> >> US with credit cards vs. debit cards.
> >>

> > I don't know why cc companies operate differently between here and
> > Canada. I expect my cc company to take the charge off my bill and
> > deal with it themselves (which means they won't bother with an amount
> > like Dave's because it's so paltry - as evidenced by his experience).
> >

> Paltry? It was about $45, and that was quite a few years ago. Would
> you consider $45 to be something too paltry to worry about? You'd just
> roll over and pay the restaurant for two very expensive lunches when you
> had only one?

I told you that I expect my cc to delete the amount I didn't accrue
and deal with it themselves.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Sat, 18 Oct 2014 15:26:34 -0700 (PDT), Bryan-TGWWW
> wrote:

> Oh, and we pay cash at Costco too.

If you're not a member, you have to. If you're a member, you can only
use their affiliated credit card.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

"sf" > wrote in message
> On Sat, 18 Oct 2014 15:26:34 -0700 (PDT), Bryan-TGWWW
> > wrote:
>
>> Oh, and we pay cash at Costco too.

> If you're not a member, you have to. If you're a member, you can only
> use their affiliated credit card.

Yes, they only accept American Express Cards, personal checks, cash, or a
debit card. No Visa or MC cards.

Cheri

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On 10/18/2014 4:00 PM, Pico Rico wrote:

>> What can go wrong with a debit card??? I can view my statement online
>> anytime and see daily debits.

> fraud protection is not nearly as good as with credit cards. And, with a
> credit card, YOU have the money while errors/fraud is sorted out.

Same protection by my bank. Same day resolution when I had a problem.

What can go wrong? Lots if you have a math problem and get some
overdraft fees. Forget to take off that $75 charge and you suddenly
bounce a check or three.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On 2014-10-18 18:50, graham wrote:

> No! I was raised never to owe money and apart from the house mortgage
> that I once had, I have never been in what you would call debt.
> However, when you use a credit card, you are a debtor until you pay it
> off!!!!
> Simple concept really!

Apparently it is not all that simple a concept. You seem to not to
understand the difference between a transaction that leads to you being
unable to pay and one that allows you to defer payment for a short time
at which it will be paid in full. There is little difference between
putting something on a credit card and paying it off at the end of the
month when the bill come in and a company ordering goods that they will
pay for at a pre-arranged date.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On 10/18/2014 7:08 PM, Cheri wrote:

> Good point. I was reading an article about how sometimes it can take a
> bank up to six months to straighten out fraud with a debit card while
> you're waiting for your money. I don't usually use a debit card, so not
> from first hand experience, but I had no reason do disbelieve the
> newspaper article.
>
> Cheri

I have. There were about $1200 in charges on my card. One phone call
and the money was back in my account the same day. This happened abou a
year ago and it was a Master Card branded debit card.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

"Ed Pawlowski" > wrote in message
> On 10/18/2014 7:08 PM, Cheri wrote:
>>

>> Good point. I was reading an article about how sometimes it can take a
>> bank up to six months to straighten out fraud with a debit card while
>> you're waiting for your money. I don't usually use a debit card, so not
>> from first hand experience, but I had no reason do disbelieve the
>> newspaper article.
>>
>> Cheri
>>

> I have. There were about $1200 in charges on my card. One phone call and
> the money was back in my account the same day. This happened abou a year
> ago and it was a Master Card branded debit card.

Well, obviously your experience was different than the one the newspaper
illustrated, but I've no reason to doubt that it had happened to the person
in the article. My debit card is not MC branded it's a BofA debit card, tied
to my account, but I don't know if that would make a difference or not.

Cheri

Posted to rec.food.cooking

wrote:

>>> It can be lost or stolen and your account emptied with no recourse.

Wrong.

> The problem is that about 20 years ago the credit card companies managed to redefine the term "debit card" in the USA. At least that seems to be what happened. It used to be that what are now called "ATM only" cards were called debit cards. VISA and MasterCard started putting their brand on them and made them both debit and credit in one card, but called them debit cards. Now most folks, including bank employees, don't realize that ATM only cards can be used as debit cards with the big difference being you *must* use a PIN and it can't be used like a credit card. So, if you lose it, the thief has to also know your PIN to use it, and has to go to a terminal where the card is swiped/read and the PIN entered. They can't just go on-line and order stuff off Amazon or whatever.
>
> I recently had to switch banks because mine was bought out and they stopped allowing their ATM cards to be used at point-of-sale terminals. I had several people at that bank insist that ATM cards never worked for that, nevermind that I have been doing it for 20+ years. There seems to be a lot of deliberate obfuscation and lack of transparency with the big banks and credit card companies. Whether that's intentional or not is left for you to decide for yourselves.
>
> Bill Ranck
> Blacksburg, VA

My bank issues ATM card that are printed ATM and that is their sole use.
They also issue Master Card branded debit cards that can be used in an
ATM with pin. as a debit card with PIN, or with a signature. Processed
like a credit card but the money still comes right out of your checking
account.

AFAIK, it had been like that for a couple of decades with the banks I've
dealt with.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On 10/18/2014 5:57 PM, Pico Rico wrote:

>>> That is not the law, but your bank may be better than what the law
>>> requires. Or maybe you only THINK it is.

>> My debit card agreement specifies a maximum loss of $50 to the account
>> holder.
>>

> Read it closer. I bet there are strings attached, like you notify them
> within a certain number of days, etc.

Don't make bets unless it is a sure thing.
My bank clearly states it is the same protection as a credit card. It
was not like that some years ago, but it is something they have to do to
be competitive.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

wrote:

>>> It can be lost or stolen and your account emptied with no recourse.

>> the issuing bank bears any fraud loss, not the card owner.
>>
>> Janet UK

> That's not the case over here.
>
>Master Card, in practice protects you

http://www.mastercard.us/zero-liability.html
Zero Liability Protection: Limitation of Liability of Cardholders for
Unauthorized Use

Have peace of mind knowing that the financial institution that issued
your MasterCard won't hold you responsible for "unauthorized
transactions." As a MasterCard cardholder, zero liability applies to
your purchases made in the store, over the telephone, online, or via a
mobile device. As a cardholder, you will not be held responsible for
unauthorized transactions if:

you have used reasonable care in protecting your card from loss or
theft; and
you have promptly reported to your financial institution when you knew
that your MasterCard was lost or stolen.
If you believe there has been unauthorized use on your account and you
meet the conditions above, rest easy knowing you have the protection of
MasterCard’s zero liability promise. For additional protections with
respect to unauthorized transactions, please contact your bank or credit
union.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On 10/18/2014 8:57 PM, Cheri wrote:

> Well, obviously your experience was different than the one the newspaper
> illustrated, but I've no reason to doubt that it had happened to the
> person in the article. My debit card is not MC branded it's a BofA debit
> card, tied to my account, but I don't know if that would make a
> difference or not.

Seems to me there has to be some investigation. They
aren't just going to put money into your account on faith.

Before anyone reads too much into what I say, I'm not calling
anyone a liar. Simply pointing out there must be time for
someone to check out the situation.

nancy

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On 10/18/2014 6:14 PM, Dave Smith wrote:

> Oh? Our baking system did not collapse.

Must have better ovens up there.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On 10/18/2014 6:36 PM, Janet wrote:

> Her lazy nurse mother and inattentive Dr father should be ashamed of
> themselves for A) not teaching her such a basic skill when she was about
> four or five and B) not noticing the deficit for 18 years.
>
> Janet UK

You have a valid point. You want to meet at a quarter to three? Is
that like 2:45? I've been asked a few times.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Sat, 18 Oct 2014 22:08:52 -0400, Ed Pawlowski > wrote:

> On 10/18/2014 6:36 PM, Janet wrote:
>
> > Her lazy nurse mother and inattentive Dr father should be ashamed of
> > themselves for A) not teaching her such a basic skill when she was about
> > four or five and B) not noticing the deficit for 18 years.
> >
> > Janet UK
> >

> You have a valid point. You want to meet at a quarter to three? Is
> that like 2:45? I've been asked a few times.

I don't have a problem with people double checking that way. Why does
anyone think it's a problem when people double check using alternative
language to state an equivalent?

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Sat, 18 Oct 2014 21:14:56 -0700, sf > wrote:

>On Sat, 18 Oct 2014 22:08:52 -0400, Ed Pawlowski > wrote:
>
>> On 10/18/2014 6:36 PM, Janet wrote:
>>
>> > Her lazy nurse mother and inattentive Dr father should be ashamed of
>> > themselves for A) not teaching her such a basic skill when she was about
>> > four or five and B) not noticing the deficit for 18 years.
>> >
>> > Janet UK
>> >

>> You have a valid point. You want to meet at a quarter to three? Is
>> that like 2:45? I've been asked a few times.

>I don't have a problem with people double checking that way.

Double checking? What's there to check?

> Why does
>anyone think it's a problem when people double check using alternative
>language to state an equivalent?

<shakes head>
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On 10/18/2014 8:57 PM, Cheri wrote:

> Well, obviously your experience was different than the one the newspaper
> illustrated, but I've no reason to doubt that it had happened to the
> person in the article. My debit card is not MC branded it's a BofA debit
> card, tied to my account, but I don't know if that would make a
> difference or not.
>
> Cheri

Take a look at that card. 99% chance it has a MC or Visa logo on it and
they both offer protection.

Like this
https://www.bankofamerica.com/deposi...debit-cards.go
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On 10/18/2014 9:28 PM, Nancy Young wrote:
> On 10/18/2014 8:57 PM, Cheri wrote:
>
>> Well, obviously your experience was different than the one the newspaper
>> illustrated, but I've no reason to doubt that it had happened to the
>> person in the article. My debit card is not MC branded it's a BofA debit
>> card, tied to my account, but I don't know if that would make a
>> difference or not.

> Seems to me there has to be some investigation. They
> aren't just going to put money into your account on faith.
>
> Before anyone reads too much into what I say, I'm not calling
> anyone a liar. Simply pointing out there must be time for
> someone to check out the situation.
>
> nancy

Yeah 20 minutes. It would be investigated further, but in the meantime,
the money was back in my account. About a week later I was notified it
was resolved and the money stayed.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On 10/19/2014 12:14 AM, sf wrote:

>> You have a valid point. You want to meet at a quarter to three? Is
>> that like 2:45? I've been asked a few times.

> I don't have a problem with people double checking that way. Why does
> anyone think it's a problem when people double check using alternative
> language to state an equivalent?

Some may be douvle checking, others just don't know. I've seen it.

Just saw this:
"I told the kids to skate in clockwise circles and they stood and blinked"
Posted to rec.food.cooking

"Ed Pawlowski" > wrote in message
> On 10/19/2014 12:14 AM, sf wrote:
>

>>> You have a valid point. You want to meet at a quarter to three? Is
>>> that like 2:45? I've been asked a few times.

>> I don't have a problem with people double checking that way. Why does
>> anyone think it's a problem when people double check using alternative
>> language to state an equivalent?
>>

> Some may be douvle checking, others just don't know. I've seen it.

a teenager once asked me what time it was, and I held out my wrist, with an
analog watch. His face showed he was utterly perplexed.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

"Ed Pawlowski" > wrote in message
> On 10/18/2014 8:57 PM, Cheri wrote:
>>

>> Well, obviously your experience was different than the one the newspaper
>> illustrated, but I've no reason to doubt that it had happened to the
>> person in the article. My debit card is not MC branded it's a BofA debit
>> card, tied to my account, but I don't know if that would make a
>> difference or not.
>>
>> Cheri

> Take a look at that card. 99% chance it has a MC or Visa logo on it and
> they both offer protection.
>
> Like this
> https://www.bankofamerica.com/deposi...debit-cards.go

Yes, I did just look and it does have a Visa logo on it.

Cheri

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Sun, 19 Oct 2014 00:59:00 -0400, Ed Pawlowski > wrote:

> On 10/19/2014 12:14 AM, sf wrote:
>

> >> You have a valid point. You want to meet at a quarter to three? Is
> >> that like 2:45? I've been asked a few times.

> > I don't have a problem with people double checking that way. Why does
> > anyone think it's a problem when people double check using alternative
> > language to state an equivalent?
> >

> Some may be douvle checking, others just don't know. I've seen it.
>
> Just saw this:
> "I told the kids to skate in clockwise circles and they stood and blinked"

Maybe they were blinking at the awkward language. Skate in clockwise
circles would have made more sense.... but if it was an American
giving directions to American skaters, they were probably wondering if
the speaker had lost his/her mind.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

"sf" > wrote in message
> On Sun, 19 Oct 2014 00:59:00 -0400, Ed Pawlowski > wrote:

>> Just saw this:
>> "I told the kids to skate in clockwise circles and they stood and
>> blinked"

> Maybe they were blinking at the awkward language. Skate in clockwise
> circles would have made more sense.... but if it was an American
> giving directions to American skaters, they were probably wondering if
> the speaker had lost his/her mind.

What's awkward about the language? "Skate in clockwise circles" was what he
said, and I don't understand why an American giving those directions to
American skaters would make someone wonder if the speaker had lost his/her
mind. What am I missing?

Cheri

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Sat, 18 Oct 2014 22:54:19 -0700, "Cheri" >
wrote:

> "sf" > wrote in message
> > On Sun, 19 Oct 2014 00:59:00 -0400, Ed Pawlowski > wrote:

> >> Just saw this:
> >> "I told the kids to skate in clockwise circles and they stood and
> >> blinked"

> > Maybe they were blinking at the awkward language. Skate in clockwise
> > circles would have made more sense.... but if it was an American
> > giving directions to American skaters, they were probably wondering if
> > the speaker had lost his/her mind.

> What's awkward about the language? "Skate in clockwise circles" was what he
> said, and I don't understand why an American giving those directions to
> American skaters would make someone wonder if the speaker had lost his/her
> mind. What am I missing?

American speed skating, car racing, foot racing, horse racing,
carnival rides and merry-go-rounds move in a counter clockwise
direction. Olympic races are also competed in a counter clockwise
direction.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On 10/19/2014 1:41 AM, Cheri wrote:

> "Ed Pawlowski" > wrote in message
>> On 10/18/2014 8:57 PM, Cheri wrote:
>>>

>>> Well, obviously your experience was different than the one the newspaper
>>> illustrated, but I've no reason to doubt that it had happened to the
>>> person in the article. My debit card is not MC branded it's a BofA debit
>>> card, tied to my account, but I don't know if that would make a
>>> difference or not.
>>>
>>> Cheri

>> Take a look at that card. 99% chance it has a MC or Visa logo on it
>> and they both offer protection.
>>
>> Like this
>> https://www.bankofamerica.com/deposi...debit-cards.go

> Yes, I did just look and it does have a Visa logo on it.
>
> Cheri

Visa backs it up, just like the credit cards.
http://usa.visa.com/personal/securit...-liability.jsp
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On 10/19/2014 1:54 AM, Cheri wrote:

> "sf" > wrote in message
>> On Sun, 19 Oct 2014 00:59:00 -0400, Ed Pawlowski > wrote:

>>> Just saw this:
>>> "I told the kids to skate in clockwise circles and they stood and
>>> blinked"

>> Maybe they were blinking at the awkward language. Skate in clockwise
>> circles would have made more sense.... but if it was an American
>> giving directions to American skaters, they were probably wondering if
>> the speaker had lost his/her mind.

> What's awkward about the language? "Skate in clockwise circles" was what
> he said, and I don't understand why an American giving those directions
> to American skaters would make someone wonder if the speaker had lost
> his/her mind. What am I missing?
>
> Cheri

The subtle humor.
1. Kids today are not familiar with analog clocks.
2. What do the digital clocks on the VCR do when not set?
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On 10/19/2014 12:47 AM, Ed Pawlowski wrote:
> On 10/18/2014 9:28 PM, Nancy Young wrote:

>> Seems to me there has to be some investigation. They
>> aren't just going to put money into your account on faith.
>>
>> Before anyone reads too much into what I say, I'm not calling
>> anyone a liar. Simply pointing out there must be time for
>> someone to check out the situation.

> Yeah 20 minutes. It would be investigated further, but in the meantime,
> the money was back in my account. About a week later I was notified it
> was resolved and the money stayed.

Obviously I'm happy for you, but I've known people
who had to wait longer.

Anyway, for me to consider having a debit card, I'd have
to get one of those free checking accounts and keep it
minimally funded.

nancy

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On 10/19/2014 7:06 AM, Gary wrote:
> Having no cash is great for when you drive up to a store and a bum
> walks up and asks if you can spare a dollar or some spare change.
> Many times I really do not have any cash. heheh Get a job, you
> slacker!

Yep... I am beginning to see why you like Sheldon's posts.

Poor people are so funny... and of course, just by looking at them you
can tell that they are a "slacker".

hehehe (I guess in your mind that makes name calling all right, huh?)

George L
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On 2014-10-19 12:07 AM, sf wrote:

>> So what you ask? This is RFC and everything has to be nitpicked.

> I know and it's getting old.

The irony meter just hit a new high.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On 2014-10-19 2:18 AM, sf wrote:

>> What's awkward about the language? "Skate in clockwise circles" was what he
>> said, and I don't understand why an American giving those directions to
>> American skaters would make someone wonder if the speaker had lost his/her
>> mind. What am I missing?
>>

> American speed skating, car racing, foot racing, horse racing,
> carnival rides and merry-go-rounds move in a counter clockwise
> direction. Olympic races are also competed in a counter clockwise
> direction.

That is true, but previous generations were raised to tell time on
analog watches and clocks and can easily see which way the clock hands
move and which way is clockwise. Younger people these ways are more
likely to have most of their time reading from digital clocks and watches.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Sun, 19 Oct 2014 08:23:27 -0400, Dave Smith
> wrote:

> On 2014-10-19 2:18 AM, sf wrote:
>
> >> What's awkward about the language? "Skate in clockwise circles" was what he
> >> said, and I don't understand why an American giving those directions to
> >> American skaters would make someone wonder if the speaker had lost his/her
> >> mind. What am I missing?
> >>

> > American speed skating, car racing, foot racing, horse racing,
> > carnival rides and merry-go-rounds move in a counter clockwise
> > direction. Olympic races are also competed in a counter clockwise
> > direction.
> >

> That is true, but previous generations were raised to tell time on
> analog watches and clocks and can easily see which way the clock hands
> move and which way is clockwise. Younger people these ways are more
> likely to have most of their time reading from digital clocks and watches.

People skate counterclockwise at the skating rink and the person who
told them to skate in the wrong direction was an idiot.