Posted to rec.food.cooking
Ema Nymton Ema Nymton is offline

Default Bean burrito additions?

On 7/29/2014 2:02 PM, Pete C. wrote:

> KenK wrote:
>>
>> I try to eat a lot of fiber and bean burritos are one way. I've been making
>> them for years with hot refried beans and Velveeta. Finally got tired of
>> that. Lately tried chicken breast with and without cheese. Tried sharp
>> cheddar. Not great. Any suggestions? Salsa? Taco sauce? Ideally something
>> common that I likely already have.
>>
>> As you can tell, I'm not very adventurous on my own.
>>
>> Tried Google but didn't see anthing - probably wrong search phrase.

> Try sautéed spinach and onions and mushrooms and cheese.

Plain chicken can be boring in a burrito. With enough water to cover,
boil a dried ancho and maybe a guajillo chili, along with a piece of
onion and a couple of cloves of garlic. After the water comes to a boil,
turn the heat off and wait for 30 minutes so the peppers will get soft.
Dump the vegetables and some of the liquid into a blender and blend
until smooth. Shred the chicken, then add enough of the chili sauce to
make it moist. Add a little salt and then taste for seasonings. Try it,
you'll like it. This chili sauce can be frozen for future use.

Becca