Posted to rec.food.cooking

Default Fish recipes

I'm wondering about fish recipes.

Tonight I made this cod with figs recipe.

Cod with Fig Glaze
Submitted by: ARSHUNDA

Number of Servings: 2

Ingredients

Cod (fish), 1 fillet
Figs, fresh, 5 small (1-1/2" dia)
Garlic, 2 cloves
*Herbes de Provence, 28 serving
*Crisco 100% Extra Virgin Olive Oil, 2 tbsp

Directions

Coat all sides of the cod filets in generous rubs of fresh minced garlic, sea salt, and Herbs de Provence. Let sit in the spice rub in the fridge for an hour.

Heat olive oil over medium heat in a non-stick pan. Sear fish on all sides until done.

If you have some brown sugar, add like a teaspoon per cup of figs... make sure to cover the pan with the figs after you've seared them off well, reducing the heat..

You need to cook them until they are really, really soft and smashable, almost a thick jam consistency... cook figs separate from the fish and serve over the fish once it's done.

Number of Servings: 2

I really enjoyed it, delicious. And I didn't have rice, cold, room temperature or otherwise. I had it with a peach. Maybe I'm trying the old Atkins Diet, but I remember people that did that, lost a lot of weight, and literally turned green, which I don't want to do.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Tuesday, July 1, 2014 6:40:32 PM UTC-5, Terrence Crimmins wrote:

> I'm wondering about fish recipes.

What are you wondering?
Posted to rec.food.cooking

"Terrence Crimmins" > wrote in message
[...]

---

I don't know why anyone would turn green on Atkins. And figs wouldn't be
allowed on Atkins. Not in the induction phase anyway and most likely not
even after that.

I don't cook fish much but once in a while, my husband will do catfish. He
coats the fillets with hot mustard. them cornmeal then fries.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Tue, 1 Jul 2014 16:40:32 -0700 (PDT), Terrence Crimmins
> wrote:

> I'm wondering about fish recipes.
>
> Tonight I made this cod with figs recipe.
>
> Cod with Fig Glaze
> Submitted by: ARSHUNDA

It sounded interesting enough to find on the internet and pin to
Pinterest for the future. You sound like me, not particularly fond of
fish - but willing to try. I've found that I like anything that calls
for coconut milk and I change interesting sounding shellfish recipes
into fish recipes (because hubby has to avoid shellfish). Have you
ever tried a Vera Cruz sauce or a version of Brazilian Fish Stew
called Moqueca de Peixe? I use cod with both.

--
All you need is love. But a little chocolate now and then doesn't hurt.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Wednesday, July 2, 2014 12:35:48 AM UTC-4, Julie Bove wrote:

> I don't cook fish much but once in a while, my husband will do catfish. He
> coats the fillets with hot mustard. them cornmeal then fries.

How does he get the fries to stick to the fish?

http://www.richardfisher.com
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Wed, 2 Jul 2014 05:05:49 -0700 (PDT), Helpful person
> wrote:

> On Wednesday, July 2, 2014 12:35:48 AM UTC-4, Julie Bove wrote:
> >
> > I don't cook fish much but once in a while, my husband will do catfish. He
> > coats the fillets with hot mustard. them cornmeal then fries.

> How does he get the fries to stick to the fish?

I'd never heard of mustard on fish before, but there are lots of
recipes for mustard crusted or mustard and cornmeal fish on the net.

--
All you need is love. But a little chocolate now and then doesn't hurt.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On 2014-07-02 8:38 AM, sf wrote:

> I'd never heard of mustard on fish before, but there are lots of
> recipes for mustard crusted or mustard and cornmeal fish on the net.

I don't know about fish, but I have posted a simple and delicious recipe
for scallops. Mix cream and prepared mustard together and dip scallops
into the mixture, then roll in dried bread crumbs, put them on skewers
and broil them until they are golden brown. very easy and very good.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Wed, 02 Jul 2014 09:54:06 -0400, Dave Smith
> wrote:

> On 2014-07-02 8:38 AM, sf wrote:
>

> > I'd never heard of mustard on fish before, but there are lots of
> > recipes for mustard crusted or mustard and cornmeal fish on the net.
> >

> I don't know about fish, but I have posted a simple and delicious recipe
> for scallops. Mix cream and prepared mustard together and dip scallops
> into the mixture, then roll in dried bread crumbs, put them on skewers
> and broil them until they are golden brown. very easy and very good.

I used to do a dijon, brown sugar, bourbon marinade then wrap them
with bacon (no bread crumbs) and broil. OMG so frackin' good.

--
All you need is love. But a little chocolate now and then doesn't hurt.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

"Helpful person" > wrote in message
> On Wednesday, July 2, 2014 12:35:48 AM UTC-4, Julie Bove wrote:
>>
>> I don't cook fish much but once in a while, my husband will do catfish.
>> He
>> coats the fillets with hot mustard. them cornmeal then fries.

> How does he get the fries to stick to the fish?

No, no, no. He pan fries the fish.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

"sf" > wrote in message
> On Wed, 2 Jul 2014 05:05:49 -0700 (PDT), Helpful person
> > wrote:
>
>> On Wednesday, July 2, 2014 12:35:48 AM UTC-4, Julie Bove wrote:
>> >
>> > I don't cook fish much but once in a while, my husband will do catfish.
>> > He
>> > coats the fillets with hot mustard. them cornmeal then fries.

>> How does he get the fries to stick to the fish?
>>

> I'd never heard of mustard on fish before, but there are lots of
> recipes for mustard crusted or mustard and cornmeal fish on the net.

I think he just invented it based on what he had in the house.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On 7/2/2014 7:18 PM, Julie Bove wrote:

> "Helpful person" > wrote in message
>> On Wednesday, July 2, 2014 12:35:48 AM UTC-4, Julie Bove wrote:
>>>
>>> I don't cook fish much but once in a while, my husband will do
>>> catfish. He
>>> coats the fillets with hot mustard. them cornmeal then fries.

>> How does he get the fries to stick to the fish?

> No, no, no. He pan fries the fish.

So he pan fried them before rolling in the fries?

--
DreadfulBitch

I'm a nobody, nobody is perfect, therefore I'm perfect.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

I don't know about fish, but I have posted a simple and delicious recipe
for scallops. Mix cream and prepared mustard together and dip scallops
into the mixture, then roll in dried bread crumbs, put them on skewers
and broil them until they are golden brown. very easy and very good.

Yes, Dave, I've heard more and more about mustard on fish, especially since I moved to Baltimore 8 years ago, where they do a mustard mixture on crab cakes, which is unheard of in Boston.

I've done a similar recipe with Sea Scallops, where you flour them, fry them in a hint of oil, then put butter, lemon juice and Dijon mustard on the pan and swirl it (kind of like steak au poivre) and pour it over the scallops- delicious.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

It sounded interesting enough to find on the internet and pin to
Pinterest for the future. You sound like me, not particularly fond of
fish - but willing to try. I've found that I like anything that calls
for coconut milk and I change interesting sounding shellfish recipes
into fish recipes (because hubby has to avoid shellfish). Have you
ever tried a Vera Cruz sauce or a version of Brazilian Fish Stew
called Moqueca de Peixe? I use cod with both.

I'll have to look that up. I've done bouillabaisse and cioppino, and I prefer the first one. Cioppino is make with chicken stock and a lot of shellfish, and is good, but the flavor of bouillabaisse is much more subtle and delicious. Cioppino is like Italian men, stark, up front, and a little overpowering. Supposedly bouillabaisse is made with some Mediterranean fish that you can only get there, so when I hit the lottery and make it there, I'll post about it.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On 7/2/2014 12:35 AM, Julie Bove wrote:
> I don't cook fish much but once in a while, my husband will do catfish.
> He coats the fillets with hot mustard. them cornmeal then fries.

I understood you weren't talking about french fries. But now you're
saying your husband cooks catfish?

Jill

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Thursday, July 3, 2014 12:13:32 PM UTC-4, jmcquown wrote:
> On 7/2/2014 12:35 AM, Julie Bove wrote:
>
> > I don't cook fish much but once in a while, my husband will do catfish.

> > He coats the fillets with hot mustard. them cornmeal then fries.

> I understood you weren't talking about french fries. But now you're
>
> saying your husband cooks catfish?

I buy catfish in the grocery store sometimes. It's relatively cheap, and sometimes marinated in a partial mustard mix, which is an easy meal to throw in the oven. They're much better than the cheap fish they keep pushing, tilapia, which is a big yuckko!!! to me.

> Jill

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On 2014-07-03 12:13 PM, jmcquown wrote:
> On 7/2/2014 12:35 AM, Julie Bove wrote:
>> I don't cook fish much but once in a while, my husband will do catfish.
>> He coats the fillets with hot mustard. them cornmeal then fries.

> I understood you weren't talking about french fries. But now you're
> saying your husband cooks catfish?

Let me guess.... Julie can't eat it and the daughter hates it.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On 7/3/2014 3:09 PM, Dave Smith wrote:
> On 2014-07-03 12:13 PM, jmcquown wrote:
>> On 7/2/2014 12:35 AM, Julie Bove wrote:
>>> I don't cook fish much but once in a while, my husband will do catfish.
>>> He coats the fillets with hot mustard. them cornmeal then fries.

>> I understood you weren't talking about french fries. But now you're
>> saying your husband cooks catfish?
>>

> Let me guess.... Julie can't eat it and the daughter hates it.

Weren't we told this guy couldn't microwave a can of soup? Yet he can
fry catfish...

Jill
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On 7/3/2014 2:47 PM, Terrence Crimmins wrote:
> On Thursday, July 3, 2014 12:13:32 PM UTC-4, jmcquown wrote:
>> On 7/2/2014 12:35 AM, Julie Bove wrote:
>>
>>> I don't cook fish much but once in a while, my husband will do catfish.
>>> He coats the fillets with hot mustard. them cornmeal then fries.

>> I understood you weren't talking about french fries. But now you're
>> saying your husband cooks catfish?

> I buy catfish in the grocery store sometimes. It's relatively cheap, and sometimes marinated in a partial mustard mix, which is an easy meal to throw in the oven. They're much better than the cheap fish they keep pushing, tilapia, which is a big yuckko!!! to me.

Relatively cheap. I bought a couple of pounds of catfish (Publix:
fresh, never frozen) last month when it was on sale for $6.99/lb. I
live on the southest coast; catfish isn't common around here. It was a
lot less expensive when I lived in west Tennessee.

Jill
Posted to rec.food.cooking

Relatively cheap. I bought a couple of pounds of catfish (Publix:
fresh, never frozen) last month when it was on sale for $6.99/lb. I
live on the southest coast; catfish isn't common around here. It was a
lot less expensive when I lived in west Tennessee.

Jill

Do they get it out of the Mississippi, or are there catfish farms our there? I went to one of my nephew's weddings out there in Memphis year before last, and it was very interesting. Elvis, Martin Luther King and all.

Terrence

Posted to rec.food.cooking

"Terrence Crimmins" > wrote in message

> Relatively cheap. I bought a couple of pounds of catfish (Publix:
> fresh, never frozen) last month when it was on sale for $6.99/lb. I
> live on the southest coast; catfish isn't common around here. It was a
> lot less expensive when I lived in west Tennessee.
>
> Jill
>
> Do they get it out of the Mississippi, or are there catfish farms our
> there? I went to one of my nephew's weddings out there in Memphis year
> before last, and it was very interesting. Elvis, Martin Luther King and
> all.

the wedding theme(s)?

Posted to rec.food.cooking

"jmcquown" > wrote in message
> On 7/3/2014 3:09 PM, Dave Smith wrote:
>>>
>>> I understood you weren't talking about french fries. But now you're
>>> saying your husband cooks catfish?
>>>

>> Let me guess.... Julie can't eat it and the daughter hates it.
>>

> Weren't we told this guy couldn't microwave a can of soup? Yet he can fry
> catfish...
>
> Jill

It's not really unusual for a person to have a specialty though, even when
they can't cook much. My friend can't manage too much cooking at all, but he
grills a mean steak.

Cheri

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On 7/4/2014 9:23 AM, jmcquown wrote:
> Relatively cheap. I bought a couple of pounds of catfish (Publix:
> fresh, never frozen) last month when it was on sale for $6.99/lb. I
> live on the southest coast; catfish isn't common around here. It was a
> lot less expensive when I lived in west Tennessee.

The cost of fish is getting insane sometimes.

I can sometimes buy choice rib-eye or t-bone steaks for less money than
most fish costs. Shrimp prices aren't too bad... but tilapia, catfish,
flounder, haddock and cod are all getting to be real expensive.

Choice T-bone steaks are on sale at HEB for $4.99 a pound this week.

George L
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On 7/4/2014 10:50 AM, Terrence Crimmins wrote:

> Relatively cheap. I bought a couple of pounds of catfish (Publix:
> fresh, never frozen) last month when it was on sale for $6.99/lb. I
> live on the southest coast; catfish isn't common around here. It was a
> lot less expensive when I lived in west Tennessee.
>
> Jill
>
> Do they get it out of the Mississippi, or are there catfish farms our there? I went to one of my nephew's weddings out there in Memphis year before last, and it was very interesting. Elvis, Martin Luther King and all.
>
> Terrence

Catfish farms. *Some* people may still get it out of the Mississippi
but that's not what showed up at the grocery store. I lived in that
area for 35 years. Catfish was very inexpensive and I love it.

When I lived in the Memphis area shrimp was expensive. Now that I'm on
the southeast coast, shrimp is inexpensive. Everything sort of
flip-flopped. Now, I buy catfish when it's on sale; I refuse to pay
$9.99/lb for it.

You may keep Elvis, thanks. I was a teenager in Memphis when he died
in 1977. The HOOPLAH! Year after year, ad infinitum. Yikes. Did you
go to Graceland? It used to be in what was considered a very nice part
of town. By the time he died it was already heading towards being a slum.

Jill
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Fri, 04 Jul 2014 10:26:41 -0500, George Leppla
> wrote:

> On 7/4/2014 9:23 AM, jmcquown wrote:
> > Relatively cheap. I bought a couple of pounds of catfish (Publix:
> > fresh, never frozen) last month when it was on sale for $6.99/lb. I
> > live on the southest coast; catfish isn't common around here. It was a
> > lot less expensive when I lived in west Tennessee.

> The cost of fish is getting insane sometimes.
>
> I can sometimes buy choice rib-eye or t-bone steaks for less money than
> most fish costs. Shrimp prices aren't too bad... but tilapia, catfish,
> flounder, haddock and cod are all getting to be real expensive.
>
> Choice T-bone steaks are on sale at HEB for $4.99 a pound this week.

You got that one right. I paid $20 lb for fresh (never frozen) King
salmon last week and that was for salmon steak, which was $1+ less per
pound than filet. Gah.

--
All you need is love. But a little chocolate now and then doesn't hurt.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

the wedding theme(s)?

No, that was just stuff I saw touring Memphis. The wedding was quite interesting, and meeting the in laws and so on. The couple lived apart in a Christian community in a poor part of Memphis trying to help the people, and they were building a church/meeting place in the backyard where the rehearsal dinner was. The had a kind of a farming thing going on there, with chickens walking around the grounds, it was neat. They're traveling around the Southwest now living in an Airstream, while she does visiting nurse gigs at different places to help pay off his debt for a Masters in Divinity at Vanderbilt.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

You may keep Elvis, thanks. I was a teenager in Memphis when he died
in 1977. The HOOPLAH! Year after year, ad infinitum. Yikes. Did you
go to Graceland? It used to be in what was considered a very nice part
of town. By the time he died it was already heading towards being a slum.

Jill

No, I just drove by Graceland, just to see it. It was very different than what I thought. Big four lane commercial road with the usual chain merchants, the kind of road that I'm not too fond of. There seem to be more of those down south. There's lots of them here in Baltimore- Boston, where I lived for 30 years, doesn't have that kind of thing, nor New York City. Boston has stricter zoning laws for commercial property, I've heard. What surprised me about Graceland was that it looked like a small box store or something rather than a home. I had imagined that it would be in a tree lined residential area. No wonder Jay Leno jumped over the wall and created a scene making fun of it when he was on his way up.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Fri, 4 Jul 2014 12:12:19 -0700 (PDT), Terrence Crimmins
> wrote:

> You may keep Elvis, thanks. I was a teenager in Memphis when he died
> in 1977. The HOOPLAH! Year after year, ad infinitum. Yikes. Did you
> go to Graceland? It used to be in what was considered a very nice part
> of town. By the time he died it was already heading towards being a slum.
>
> Jill
>
> No, I just drove by Graceland, just to see it. It was very different than what I thought.

We spent the night in Memphis and Graceland never crossed my mind.
The only thing I thought about was getting out of there ASAP. It was
the kind of place best seen from the interstate.

OTOH, we only saw Nashville from the interstate and it's a place we
agreed we want to fly to someday and spend some time looking around.

--
All you need is love. But a little chocolate now and then doesn't hurt.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On 7/4/2014 12:36 PM, sf wrote:
> On Fri, 04 Jul 2014 10:26:41 -0500, George Leppla
> > wrote:
>
>> On 7/4/2014 9:23 AM, jmcquown wrote:
>>> Relatively cheap. I bought a couple of pounds of catfish (Publix:
>>> fresh, never frozen) last month when it was on sale for $6.99/lb. I
>>> live on the southest coast; catfish isn't common around here. It was a
>>> lot less expensive when I lived in west Tennessee.

>> The cost of fish is getting insane sometimes.
>>
>> I can sometimes buy choice rib-eye or t-bone steaks for less money than
>> most fish costs. Shrimp prices aren't too bad... but tilapia, catfish,
>> flounder, haddock and cod are all getting to be real expensive.
>>
>> Choice T-bone steaks are on sale at HEB for $4.99 a pound this week.
>>

> You got that one right. I paid $20 lb for fresh (never frozen) King
> salmon last week and that was for salmon steak, which was $1+ less per
> pound than filet. Gah.

Publix has "fresh salmon, select cuts" on sale through 7/9 for $4.99/lb.
The last time they advertised this I forgot to check out what those
"select cuts" are. Alaskan fresh (never frozen) sockeye salmon fillets
are $13.99/lb. I'll be skipping over those and going straight for a
couple of slabs of pork ribs @ $1.99/lb.

Jill
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On 7/4/2014 5:42 PM, jmcquown wrote:

> Publix has "fresh salmon, select cuts" on sale through 7/9 for $4.99/lb.
> The last time they advertised this I forgot to check out what those
> "select cuts" are. Alaskan fresh (never frozen) sockeye salmon fillets
> are $13.99/lb. I'll be skipping over those and going straight for a
> couple of slabs of pork ribs @ $1.99/lb.

I got a couple of pounds of "country style" pork ribs today for 1.99/lb.
Can't wait to grill some, freeze the rest in foodsaver bag portions.

--
ღ.¸¸.œ«*¨`*œ¶
Cheryl

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On 7/3/2014 10:48 AM, Terrence Crimmins wrote:

> I've done a similar recipe with Sea Scallops, where you flour them,
> fry them in a hint of oil, then put butter, lemon juice and Dijon
> mustard on the pan and swirl it (kind of like steak au poivre) and
> pour it over the scallops- delicious.

Oh no! I love sea scallops just plain grilled or pan fried with a
little olive oil. I would never flour or bread them, but to each their
own!

--
ღ.¸¸.œ«*¨`*œ¶
Cheryl
Posted to rec.food.cooking

"Cheryl" > wrote in message
b.com...
> On 7/4/2014 5:42 PM, jmcquown wrote:
>
>> Publix has "fresh salmon, select cuts" on sale through 7/9 for $4.99/lb.
>> The last time they advertised this I forgot to check out what those
>> "select cuts" are. Alaskan fresh (never frozen) sockeye salmon fillets
>> are $13.99/lb. I'll be skipping over those and going straight for a
>> couple of slabs of pork ribs @ $1.99/lb.

> I got a couple of pounds of "country style" pork ribs today for 1.99/lb.
> Can't wait to grill some, freeze the rest in foodsaver bag portions.

What makes them 'country style'?

--
http://www.helpforheroes.org.uk/shop/

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On 7/5/2014 7:40 AM, Ophelia wrote:

> "Cheryl" > wrote in message
> b.com...
>> On 7/4/2014 5:42 PM, jmcquown wrote:
>>
>>> Publix has "fresh salmon, select cuts" on sale through 7/9 for $4.99/lb.
>>> The last time they advertised this I forgot to check out what those
>>> "select cuts" are. Alaskan fresh (never frozen) sockeye salmon fillets
>>> are $13.99/lb. I'll be skipping over those and going straight for a
>>> couple of slabs of pork ribs @ $1.99/lb.

>> I got a couple of pounds of "country style" pork ribs today for
>> 1.99/lb. Can't wait to grill some, freeze the rest in foodsaver bag
>> portions.

> What makes them 'country style'?

Some people would say they aren't really ribs. Wiki says "Country-style
ribs are cut from the blade end of the loin close to the pork shoulder.
They are meatier than other rib cuts. They contain no rib bones, but
instead contain parts of the shoulder blade (scapula)."

http://tinyurl.com/nm2d82c

Jill
Posted to rec.food.cooking

"jmcquown" > wrote in message
> On 7/5/2014 7:40 AM, Ophelia wrote:
>>

>> "Cheryl" > wrote in message
>> b.com...

>>> I got a couple of pounds of "country style" pork ribs today for
>>> 1.99/lb. Can't wait to grill some, freeze the rest in foodsaver bag
>>> portions.

>> What makes them 'country style'?
>>

> Some people would say they aren't really ribs. Wiki says "Country-style
> ribs are cut from the blade end of the loin close to the pork shoulder.
> They are meatier than other rib cuts. They contain no rib bones, but
> instead contain parts of the shoulder blade (scapula)."
>
> http://tinyurl.com/nm2d82c

Thanks very much They do look like a shoulder cut. I imagine they need
very long slow cooking?

--
http://www.helpforheroes.org.uk/shop/

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On 7/4/2014 11:20 AM, Cheri wrote:
> It's not really unusual for a person to have a specialty though, even
> when they can't cook much. My friend can't manage too much cooking at
> all, but he grills a mean steak.
>
> Cheri

Sounds like my middle brother before we rented a house together for a
while. He could grill steak and make baked potatoes. That's about it.

I watched cooking shows on PBS on Saturday mornings. He started
watching, too. Next thing I knew he was looking over my shoulder when I
was cooking, asking all sorts of questions. (It got a little annoying
at times; the galley style kitchen wasn't designed for two people.) He
turned into a foodie.

Jill

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On 7/5/2014 8:31 AM, Ophelia wrote:

> "jmcquown" > wrote in message
>> On 7/5/2014 7:40 AM, Ophelia wrote:
>>>

>>> "Cheryl" > wrote in message
>>> b.com...

>>> What makes them 'country style'?
>>>

>> Some people would say they aren't really ribs. Wiki says
>> "Country-style ribs are cut from the blade end of the loin close to
>> the pork shoulder. They are meatier than other rib cuts. They contain
>> no rib bones, but instead contain parts of the shoulder blade (scapula)."
>>
>> http://tinyurl.com/nm2d82c

> Thanks very much They do look like a shoulder cut. I imagine they
> need very long slow cooking?

Yep. I just posted a recipe for marinated country ribs.

Jill
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Sat, 05 Jul 2014 08:19:12 -0400, jmcquown >
wrote:

> On 7/5/2014 7:40 AM, Ophelia wrote:
> >

> > "Cheryl" > wrote in message
> > b.com...
> >>
> >> I got a couple of pounds of "country style" pork ribs today for
> >> 1.99/lb. Can't wait to grill some, freeze the rest in foodsaver bag
> >> portions.

> > What makes them 'country style'?
> >

> Some people would say they aren't really ribs. Wiki says "Country-style
> ribs are cut from the blade end of the loin close to the pork shoulder.
> They are meatier than other rib cuts. They contain no rib bones, but
> instead contain parts of the shoulder blade (scapula)."
>
> http://tinyurl.com/nm2d82c

I prefer pretend ribs anyway. I want meat, not bone.

--
All you need is love. But a little chocolate now and then doesn't hurt.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Sat, 5 Jul 2014 13:31:07 +0100, "Ophelia"
> wrote:

> "jmcquown" > wrote in message
> > On 7/5/2014 7:40 AM, Ophelia wrote:
> >>

> >> "Cheryl" > wrote in message
> >> b.com...

> >> What makes them 'country style'?
> >>

> > Some people would say they aren't really ribs. Wiki says "Country-style
> > ribs are cut from the blade end of the loin close to the pork shoulder.
> > They are meatier than other rib cuts. They contain no rib bones, but
> > instead contain parts of the shoulder blade (scapula)."
> >
> > http://tinyurl.com/nm2d82c

> Thanks very much They do look like a shoulder cut. I imagine they need
> very long slow cooking?

Real ribs need long slow cooking too - so they're pretty much the same
as far as time. These are rib shaped chunks, so the timing isn't as
long as an uncut shoulder requires.

--
All you need is love. But a little chocolate now and then doesn't hurt.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On 7/5/2014 8:19 AM, jmcquown wrote:

>>> I got a couple of pounds of "country style" pork ribs today for
>>> 1.99/lb. Can't wait to grill some, freeze the rest in foodsaver bag
>>> portions.

>> What makes them 'country style'?
>>

> Some people would say they aren't really ribs. Wiki says "Country-style
> ribs are cut from the blade end of the loin close to the pork shoulder.
> They are meatier than other rib cuts. They contain no rib bones, but
> instead contain parts of the shoulder blade (scapula)."
>
> http://tinyurl.com/nm2d82c
>
> Jill

They are also tougher and benefit from low and slow cooking. I do them
in the smoker for 4 to 5 hours.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Sat, 5 Jul 2014 12:40:03 +0100, "Ophelia"
> wrote:

>"Cheryl" > wrote in message
eb.com...
>> On 7/4/2014 5:42 PM, jmcquown wrote:
>>
>>> Publix has "fresh salmon, select cuts" on sale through 7/9 for $4.99/lb.
>>> The last time they advertised this I forgot to check out what those
>>> "select cuts" are. Alaskan fresh (never frozen) sockeye salmon fillets
>>> are $13.99/lb. I'll be skipping over those and going straight for a
>>> couple of slabs of pork ribs @ $1.99/lb.

>> I got a couple of pounds of "country style" pork ribs today for 1.99/lb.
>> Can't wait to grill some, freeze the rest in foodsaver bag portions.

>What makes them 'country style'?

Just a name for the particular cut, gotta call them something.

They're cut from the pork shoulder rather than from the pork loin...
like the difference between pork loin chops and pork shoulder chops.
Country style pork ribs are cut two ways, with bone and boneless... I
much prefer the boneless... very good slow grilled but also great
braised with kraut. Around here if they contain the bone then $1.99
is a high price, here the regular price is $1.49/lb... boneless are
typically $2.29/lb... on sale $1.99/lb.