Posted to rec.food.cooking

Default So what happened to the fish recipes?

Around March this year, I received a copy of The RFC Cookbook from
another very kind-hearted rfc-er who had a spare copy, and kindly sent
it on to me...

Anyway, to get to the point: although I have gone through it for ideas
quite a few times since I received it, it only dawned on me today that
there are very few fish/seafood recipes in it i.e. a couple of shrimp
recipes and Jill's Sole Piccata. Lots of beef, chicken and pork recipes
tho'. I've seen plenty of fishy-stuff discussed here, so I found it
odd...

So, fellow rfc-ers, what say you about this 'strange phenomenon'?

--
Cheers
Chatty Cathy
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On May 8, 10:54*am, ChattyCathy > wrote:
> Around March this year, I received a copy of The RFC Cookbook from
> another very kind-hearted rfc-er who had a spare copy, and kindly sent
> it on to me...
>
> Anyway, to get to the point: although I have gone through it for ideas
> quite a few times since I received it, it only dawned on me today that
> there are very few fish/seafood recipes in it i.e. a couple of shrimp
> recipes and Jill's Sole Piccata. Lots of beef, chicken and pork recipes
> tho'. I've seen plenty of fishy-stuff discussed here, so I found it
> odd...
>
> So, fellow rfc-ers, what say you about this 'strange phenomenon'?

Thaw tilapia filets. Salt and pepper them. Either coat with egg or
not. Dredge in corn meal. Fry in peanut oil. Serve with halved
lemons or limes. Mmmmmm.

> --
> Cheers
> Chatty Cathy

--Bryan
Visit Bobo Bonobo's Mortuary and Sausage Emporium
On the web @ http://MySpace.com/BoboBonobo
Posted to rec.food.cooking

"ChattyCathy" > wrote in message
> Around March this year, I received a copy of The RFC Cookbook from
> another very kind-hearted rfc-er who had a spare copy, and kindly sent
> it on to me...
>
> Anyway, to get to the point: although I have gone through it for ideas
> quite a few times since I received it, it only dawned on me today that
> there are very few fish/seafood recipes in it i.e. a couple of shrimp
> recipes and Jill's Sole Piccata. Lots of beef, chicken and pork recipes
> tho'. I've seen plenty of fishy-stuff discussed here, so I found it
> odd...
>
> So, fellow rfc-ers, what say you about this 'strange phenomenon'?
>
> --
> Cheers
> Chatty Cathy

I think you have to look at and understand deeply, page 146, Lutefisk by
Alan Zelt.

Dimitri

Posted to rec.food.cooking

Dimitri wrote:

> I think you have to look at and understand deeply, page 146, Lutefisk
> by Alan Zelt.
>
> Dimitri

I am all too familiar with that recipe - it's right up there with
nancy's 'Grape jelly cocktail meat balls' on the Signature dish section
of the site.

<grin>
--
Cheers
Chatty Cathy
Posted to rec.food.cooking

Bobo Bonobo® wrote:

> Thaw tilapia filets. Salt and pepper them. Either coat with egg or
> not. Dredge in corn meal. Fry in peanut oil. Serve with halved
> lemons or limes. Mmmmmm.

Ah, another tilapia fan. I like tilapia too - but they seem to
be 'love 'em or leave them' fish around here...

--
Cheers
Chatty Cathy

Posted to rec.food.cooking

ChattyCathy wrote:
> Dimitri wrote:

>> I think you have to look at and understand deeply, page 146, Lutefisk
>> by Alan Zelt.

> I am all too familiar with that recipe - it's right up there with
> nancy's 'Grape jelly cocktail meat balls' on the Signature dish
> section of the site.

(laugh) You know someone's going to believe that is my favorite.

As far as your question goes, you don't even see fish recipes on
rfc all that often. Or maybe I block them out. I don't think
Americans eat much fish compared to many other countries,
and we do make up a lot of this newsgroup.

nancy (not a fish eater)

Posted to rec.food.cooking

"ChattyCathy" > wrote in message
> Bobo Bonobo® wrote:
>

>> Thaw tilapia filets. Salt and pepper them. Either coat with egg or
>> not. Dredge in corn meal. Fry in peanut oil. Serve with halved
>> lemons or limes. Mmmmmm.
>>

> Ah, another tilapia fan. I like tilapia too - but they seem to
> be 'love 'em or leave them' fish around here...

Put me in the corner with the other tilapia lovers.

TammyM

Posted to rec.food.cooking

"Nancy Young" > wrote in message
news
> ChattyCathy wrote:
>> Dimitri wrote:

>>> I think you have to look at and understand deeply, page 146, Lutefisk
>>> by Alan Zelt.

>> I am all too familiar with that recipe - it's right up there with
>> nancy's 'Grape jelly cocktail meat balls' on the Signature dish
>> section of the site.

> (laugh) You know someone's going to believe that is my favorite.

Nah. But it's an rfc tradition, and a sacred one at that!

> As far as your question goes, you don't even see fish recipes on
> rfc all that often. Or maybe I block them out. I don't think Americans
> eat much fish compared to many other countries,
> and we do make up a lot of this newsgroup.

I'm a fish fan, but I tend to cook it very very simply. Tuna steaks
encrusted with crushed peppercorns (would that be tuna au poivre?) and
barely cooked; salmon very simply cooked in butter with s&p. Sometimes I'll
go all fancy and dredge fish filets in seasoned panko (I often use Penzey's
Trinidad lemon garlic seasoning for this). For shrimp, I'll either do the
usual garlic/butter thang, or sautee with copious amounts of Bay seasoning
as per my former Maryland-born/raised roommate. I rarely "do" lobster or
crab for economic reasons, but most other fish are, erm, fair game :-)

> nancy (not a fish eater)

TammyM, fish fan extraordinaire

Posted to rec.food.cooking

Nancy Young wrote:

> ChattyCathy wrote:
>> Dimitri wrote:

>>> I think you have to look at and understand deeply, page 146,
>>> Lutefisk by Alan Zelt.

>> I am all too familiar with that recipe - it's right up there with
>> nancy's 'Grape jelly cocktail meat balls' on the Signature dish
>> section of the site.

> (laugh) You know someone's going to believe that is my favorite.

It *isn't*? <veg>

> As far as your question goes, you don't even see fish recipes on
> rfc all that often. Or maybe I block them out.

I've seen more discussions about shellfish than ocean/fresh water fish,
I admit - but tilapia comes up fairly often, as does muddy-tasting
fish.

> I don't think
> Americans eat much fish compared to many other countries,
> and we do make up a lot of this newsgroup.

Maybe the cost is a factor? If one doesn't live near an ocean,
seafood/ocean fish can become darn expensive - ask me, I know...

> nancy (not a fish eater)

Ah. Each to their own. I love most ocean fish - and especially
shellfish. I'm not keen on fresh water fish - always tastes a bit muddy
to me, no matter what tips 'n tricks I've tried...

--
Cheers
Chatty Cathy
Posted to rec.food.cooking

"Nancy Young" > wrote in message
news
> ChattyCathy wrote:
>> Dimitri wrote:

>>> I think you have to look at and understand deeply, page 146, Lutefisk
>>> by Alan Zelt.

>> I am all too familiar with that recipe - it's right up there with
>> nancy's 'Grape jelly cocktail meat balls' on the Signature dish
>> section of the site.

> (laugh) You know someone's going to believe that is my favorite.
>
> As far as your question goes, you don't even see fish recipes on
> rfc all that often. Or maybe I block them out. I don't think Americans
> eat much fish compared to many other countries,
> and we do make up a lot of this newsgroup.
>
> nancy (not a fish eater)

I think three reasons:
Most Americans eat fish out.
Good fish doesn't really need a recipe, the less done to it the better.
Of course there's a boatload of tunafish recipes, which cream of canned soup
catagory would you like? LOL

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On May 8, 9:36*am, "Nancy Young" > wrote:

> As far as your question goes, you don't even see fish recipes on
> rfc all that often. *Or maybe I block them out. *I don't think
> Americans eat much fish compared to many other countries,
> and we do make up a lot of this newsgroup.
>
> nancy (not a fish eater)

We are fish eaters, at least once a week. I've participated in
threads about halibut (caddy ganty, e.g.), salmon (grilling), trout
(campfire), and have at least mentioned huachinango veracruzano and
coulibiac (or salmon wellington). Calamari steaks, if that counts,
and fish and chips, and the (good) quality of TJ's frozen fish. I
agree with those who say, in effect, that there just isn't that much
to say or ask about fish because it's usually best treated simply.
Once you know how to make a brown butter or a simple shallots/white
wine/butter sauce, what else do you need to know?

Most important is finding a good fishmonger, which usually means (in
the USA) you have to live on one of the coasts. Even here in SoCal my
fish market is a special trip 20 minutes in the other direction from
where errands usually take me.

Oh, and count me among those who find tilapia decidedly inferior. -
aem
Posted to rec.food.cooking

In article >,
ChattyCathy > wrote:

> Around March this year, I received a copy of The RFC Cookbook from
> another very kind-hearted rfc-er who had a spare copy, and kindly sent
> it on to me...
>
> Anyway, to get to the point: although I have gone through it for ideas
> quite a few times since I received it, it only dawned on me today that
> there are very few fish/seafood recipes in it i.e. a couple of shrimp
> recipes and Jill's Sole Piccata. Lots of beef, chicken and pork recipes
> tho'. I've seen plenty of fishy-stuff discussed here, so I found it
> odd...
>
> So, fellow rfc-ers, what say you about this 'strange phenomenon'?

Fish is expensive.
--
Peace! Om

-- Anon.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

In article
Bobo Bonobo® > wrote:

> Thaw tilapia filets. Salt and pepper them. Either coat with egg or
> not. Dredge in corn meal. Fry in peanut oil. Serve with halved
> lemons or limes. Mmmmmm.

Substitute catfish fillet for that and then it's "Mmmmmmmm". ;-)

Imho, Tilapia is overpriced.

At least around here.
--
Peace! Om

-- Anon.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

In article >,
"Nancy Young" > wrote:

> ChattyCathy wrote:
> > Dimitri wrote:

> >> I think you have to look at and understand deeply, page 146, Lutefisk
> >> by Alan Zelt.

> > I am all too familiar with that recipe - it's right up there with
> > nancy's 'Grape jelly cocktail meat balls' on the Signature dish
> > section of the site.

> (laugh) You know someone's going to believe that is my favorite.
>
> As far as your question goes, you don't even see fish recipes on
> rfc all that often. Or maybe I block them out. I don't think
> Americans eat much fish compared to many other countries,
> and we do make up a lot of this newsgroup.
>
> nancy (not a fish eater)

I love fish, but chicken and pork are cheaper.
If I could AFFORD it, I'd eat and serve fish on a regular basis!
--
Peace! Om

-- Anon.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

wrote:
> On May 8, 9:36 am, "Nancy Young" > wrote:
>>
>> As far as your question goes, you don't even see fish recipes on
>> rfc all that often. Or maybe I block them out. I don't think
>> Americans eat much fish compared to many other countries,
>> and we do make up a lot of this newsgroup.
>>
>> nancy (not a fish eater)

> We are fish eaters, at least once a week. I've participated in
> threads about halibut (caddy ganty, e.g.), salmon (grilling), trout
> (campfire), and have at least mentioned huachinango veracruzano and
> coulibiac (or salmon wellington). Calamari steaks, if that counts,
> and fish and chips, and the (good) quality of TJ's frozen fish.

I have selective vision. I just don't care for fish too much and I'm
not looking for recipes and I for sure don't have any to offer.
In other words, if you want to talk about me behind my back,
name the thread Tilapia recipes.

> I agree with those who say, in effect, that there just isn't that much
> to say or ask about fish because it's usually best treated simply.
> Once you know how to make a brown butter or a simple shallots/white
> wine/butter sauce, what else do you need to know?

The closest I come to ordering fish is fish n chips. And canned
tuna, which I don't classify as fish for this discussion.

> Most important is finding a good fishmonger, which usually means (in
> the USA) you have to live on one of the coasts. Even here in SoCal my
> fish market is a special trip 20 minutes in the other direction from
> where errands usually take me.

I would definitely have to travel at least that to find a good fish
market, and I'm close to the ocean, too.

> Oh, and count me among those who find tilapia decidedly inferior.

To each their own, if people like it, good for them. Something about
the texture and the flavor just puts me off.

nancy

Posted to rec.food.cooking

"brooklyn1" > wrote in message

> "Nancy Young" > wrote in message
> news
>> ChattyCathy wrote:

>>> I am all too familiar with that recipe - it's right up there with
>>> nancy's 'Grape jelly cocktail meat balls' on the Signature dish
>>> section of the site.

>> (laugh) You know someone's going to believe that is my favorite.
>>
>> As far as your question goes, you don't even see fish recipes on
>> rfc all that often. Or maybe I block them out. I don't think Americans
>> eat much fish compared to many other countries,
>> and we do make up a lot of this newsgroup.
>>
>> nancy (not a fish eater)
>>

> I think three reasons:
> Most Americans eat fish out.

Especially the Catholics during lent with all the Friday Church Fish Fry's.
:-)

Dimitri

Posted to rec.food.cooking

brooklyn1 wrote:
> "Nancy Young" > wrote

>> As far as your question goes, you don't even see fish recipes on
>> rfc all that often. Or maybe I block them out. I don't think
>> Americans eat much fish compared to many other countries,
>> and we do make up a lot of this newsgroup.

> Of course there's a boatload of tunafish recipes, which cream of
> canned soup catagory would you like? LOL

Heh. Not me, I can't say it ever occurred to me to put cream
of soup in tuna. Relish, yes. I guess tuna casserole is not in my
repertoire.

nancy
Posted to rec.food.cooking

"Nancy Young" > wrote in message
> brooklyn1 wrote:
>> "Nancy Young" > wrote

>>> As far as your question goes, you don't even see fish recipes on
>>> rfc all that often. Or maybe I block them out. I don't think
>>> Americans eat much fish compared to many other countries,
>>> and we do make up a lot of this newsgroup.

>> Of course there's a boatload of tunafish recipes, which cream of
>> canned soup catagory would you like? LOL

> Heh. Not me, I can't say it ever occurred to me to put cream of soup in
> tuna. Relish, yes. I guess tuna casserole is not in my
> repertoire.

It's actually good in limited circumstances. Such as, when I went across
country in my late teens on a very low budget with low budget equipment. We
had pup tents, a sterno stove, and a cooler, traveled in an old mustang and
we were young and knew nothing. Besides peanut butter and jelly we had
macaroni or egg noodles with tuna and cream of mushroom soup.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

Omelet wrote:

> "Nancy Young" > wrote:

>> As far as your question goes, you don't even see fish recipes on
>> rfc all that often. Or maybe I block them out. I don't think
>> Americans eat much fish compared to many other countries,
>> and we do make up a lot of this newsgroup.

> I love fish, but chicken and pork are cheaper.

Good point!

nancy
Posted to rec.food.cooking

Nancy Young wrote:
> wrote:
>> On May 8, 9:36 am, "Nancy Young" > wrote:
>>>
>>> As far as your question goes, you don't even see fish recipes on
>>> rfc all that often. Or maybe I block them out. I don't think
>>> Americans eat much fish compared to many other countries,
>>> and we do make up a lot of this newsgroup.
>>>
>>> nancy (not a fish eater)

>> We are fish eaters, at least once a week. I've participated in
>> threads about halibut (caddy ganty, e.g.), salmon (grilling), trout
>> (campfire), and have at least mentioned huachinango veracruzano and
>> coulibiac (or salmon wellington). Calamari steaks, if that counts,
>> and fish and chips, and the (good) quality of TJ's frozen fish.

> I have selective vision. I just don't care for fish too much and I'm
> not looking for recipes and I for sure don't have any to offer.
> In other words, if you want to talk about me behind my back, name the
> thread Tilapia recipes.

I am with you - and not a fish eater either. The DH thinks I am crazy.

>> I agree with those who say, in effect, that there just isn't that much
>> to say or ask about fish because it's usually best treated simply.
>> Once you know how to make a brown butter or a simple shallots/white
>> wine/butter sauce, what else do you need to know?

> The closest I come to ordering fish is fish n chips. And canned
> tuna, which I don't classify as fish for this discussion.

I only eat canned tuna.

>> Most important is finding a good fishmonger, which usually means (in
>> the USA) you have to live on one of the coasts. Even here in SoCal my
>> fish market is a special trip 20 minutes in the other direction from
>> where errands usually take me.

> I would definitely have to travel at least that to find a good fish
> market, and I'm close to the ocean, too.
>> Oh, and count me among those who find tilapia decidedly inferior.

> To each their own, if people like it, good for them. Something about
> the texture and the flavor just puts me off.
> nancy

My problem is more psychological. I ate fish as a kid, but I never liked
looking at fish. My siblings teased me and chased me with lobsters. So,
now I am messed up in the head and I just don't eat any kind of seafood,
except tuna.

I am working on it and I have recently tasted crab - in a rangoon. I
know, baby steps! I also tried a scallop. It was ok, but I would rather
have chicken thankyou. I have also tried shrimp - but the texture is weird.

The DH and DS say I should try salmon or tilapia.

Some things I will never ever try: lobster, oysters, mussels, sardines,
clams. Fried clams smell really good but I just don't see myself taking
that leap to taste one.

Tracy

Posted to rec.food.cooking

TammyM wrote:

> I'm a fish fan, but I tend to cook it very very simply. Tuna steaks
> encrusted with crushed peppercorns (would that be tuna au poivre?) and
> barely cooked; salmon very simply cooked in butter with s&p.
> Sometimes I'll go all fancy and dredge fish filets in seasoned panko
> (I often use Penzey's
> Trinidad lemon garlic seasoning for this).

I like fish fillets done simply too, especially the more delicately
flavored fish like sole. But we sometimes get bored with the same ole,
same ole - hence the recipe hunt.

> For shrimp, I'll either do
> the usual garlic/butter thang, or sautee with copious amounts of Bay
> seasoning as per my former Maryland-born/raised roommate. I rarely
> "do" lobster or crab for economic reasons, but most other fish are,
> erm, fair game :-)

Lobster and crab are also very expensive here too - bit cheaper if one
lives at the 'coast'; unfortunately we do not. The price of lobster
doesn't worry me in the least - think it's overrated - but I do like
crab - and don't mind paying a little extra for it once in a while.
--
Cheers
Chatty Cathy
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On May 8, 1:10*pm, Omelet > wrote:
> In article
> >,
> *Bobo Bonobo® > wrote:
>
> > Thaw tilapia filets. *Salt and pepper them. *Either coat with egg or
> > not. *Dredge in corn meal. *Fry in peanut oil. *Serve with halved
> > lemons or limes. * Mmmmmm.

> Substitute catfish fillet for that and then it's "Mmmmmmmm". ;-)
>
> Imho, Tilapia is overpriced.
>
> At least around here.
> --
> Peace! Om
>
> Life isn't about waiting for the storm to pass.
> It's about learning to dance in the rain.
> -- Anon.

No way! Substitute walleye, and then it's "Yummmmmmmm!"

N.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

Omelet wrote:
> In article
> >,
> Bobo Bonobo® > wrote:
>
>> Thaw tilapia filets. Salt and pepper them. Either coat with egg or
>> not. Dredge in corn meal. Fry in peanut oil. Serve with halved
>> lemons or limes. Mmmmmm.

> Substitute catfish fillet for that and then it's "Mmmmmmmm". ;-)
>
> Imho, Tilapia is overpriced.

This is certainly true over here in Hawaii. Most of us are deadly afraid
of eating that stuff since we grew up with the notion that it was a
dirty slimy fish the lives in polluted waters.

> At least around here.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

Nancy Young wrote:

> To each their own, if people like it, good for them. Something about
> the texture and the flavor just puts me off.

The texture is on the mealy side and it tastes of pond scum. Too bad -
it's the future of fish.

> nancy

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On May 8, 8:54*am, ChattyCathy > wrote:
> Around March this year, I received a copy of The RFC Cookbook from
> another very kind-hearted rfc-er who had a spare copy, and kindly sent
> it on to me...
>
> Anyway, to get to the point: although I have gone through it for ideas
> quite a few times since I received it, it only dawned on me today that
> there are very few fish/seafood recipes in it i.e. a couple of shrimp
> recipes and Jill's Sole Piccata. Lots of beef, chicken and pork recipes
> tho'. I've seen plenty of fishy-stuff discussed here, so I found it
> odd...
>
> So, fellow rfc-ers, what say you about this 'strange phenomenon'?
>
> --
> Cheers
> Chatty Cathy

I'm not surprised. We're ten years older, Cathy. Fish is a bigger
part of our diet now.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On May 8, 1:10*pm, Omelet > wrote:
> In article
> >,
> *Bobo Bonobo® > wrote:
>
> > Thaw tilapia filets. *Salt and pepper them. *Either coat with egg or
> > not. *Dredge in corn meal. *Fry in peanut oil. *Serve with halved
> > lemons or limes. * Mmmmmm.

> Substitute catfish fillet for that and then it's "Mmmmmmmm". ;-)

I don't like catfish.

> Imho, Tilapia is overpriced.

It's cheap here. 24oz./$4.99

> At least around here.
> --
> Peace! Om

--Bryan

Posted to rec.food.cooking

brooklyn1 wrote:

> "Nancy Young" > wrote in message
> news
> > ChattyCathy wrote:

> >> I am all too familiar with that recipe - it's right up there with
> >> nancy's 'Grape jelly cocktail meat balls' on the Signature dish
> >> section of the site.

> > (laugh) You know someone's going to believe that is my favorite.
> >
> > As far as your question goes, you don't even see fish recipes on
> > rfc all that often. Or maybe I block them out. I don't think Americans
> > eat much fish compared to many other countries,
> > and we do make up a lot of this newsgroup.
> >
> > nancy (not a fish eater)
> >

> I think three reasons:
> Most Americans eat fish out.

Hmmmm...do ya mean like in piscine cunnilingus...???

Amongst some of the lezboe crowd I hang with the operative phrase is "tastes
like shrimp"...

;-D

--
Best
Greg

Posted to rec.food.cooking

"Gregory Morrow" > wrote in message
m...

> brooklyn1 wrote:
>
>> "Nancy Young" > wrote in message
>> news

>> > (laugh) You know someone's going to believe that is my favorite.
>> >
>> > As far as your question goes, you don't even see fish recipes on
>> > rfc all that often. Or maybe I block them out. I don't think
>> > Americans
>> > eat much fish compared to many other countries,
>> > and we do make up a lot of this newsgroup.
>> >
>> > nancy (not a fish eater)
>> >

>> I think three reasons:
>> Most Americans eat fish out.

> Hmmmm...do ya mean like in piscine cunnilingus...???
>
> Amongst some of the lezboe crowd I hang with the operative phrase is
> "tastes
> like shrimp"...

Must be the goyim. They oughta try some gefilte... wait a minute... I
think there's a double entendre in there. Oops, I just made it a triple!
hehe

Posted to rec.food.cooking

TammyM replied to Bobo and ChattyCathy:

>>> Thaw tilapia filets. Salt and pepper them. Either coat with egg or
>>> not. Dredge in corn meal. Fry in peanut oil. Serve with halved
>>> lemons or limes. Mmmmmm.

>> Ah, another tilapia fan. I like tilapia too - but they seem to
>> be 'love 'em or leave them' fish around here...

> Put me in the corner with the other tilapia lovers.

I've discovered that my favorite ways of preparing tilapia are those which
have strong enough flavors to mask what I consider the offensive muddy
flavor of the fish. Curries, for example.

While I can't account for the dearth of seafood recipes in the RFC cookbook,
I can say that I myself eat relatively little seafood. (Wouldn't know that
from this last week, though, when I had seared tuna on Saturday, petrale
sole meuničre on Sunday, scallops on Monday, and mussels with clams
tonight.)

Bob

Posted to rec.food.cooking

TammyM wrote:

> I'm a fish fan, but I tend to cook it very very simply. Tuna steaks
> encrusted with crushed peppercorns (would that be tuna au poivre?) and
> barely cooked; salmon very simply cooked in butter with s&p. Sometimes
> I'll go all fancy and dredge fish filets in seasoned panko (I often use
> Penzey's Trinidad lemon garlic seasoning for this). For shrimp, I'll
> either do the usual garlic/butter thang, or sautee with copious amounts of
> Bay seasoning as per my former Maryland-born/raised roommate. I rarely
> "do" lobster or crab for economic reasons, but most other fish are, erm,
> fair game :-)

I dislike getting caught in a rut, so the degree of complication I use in
cooking fish is dependent on how often I've eating it. The more frequently I
cook it, the more complicated the preparations become. When I brought a
steelhead back from Seattle one year, I ended up making coulibiac as a way
to use up the fish.

Bob

Posted to rec.food.cooking

"ChattyCathy" > wrote in message
> Around March this year, I received a copy of The RFC Cookbook from
> another very kind-hearted rfc-er who had a spare copy, and kindly sent
> it on to me...
>
> Anyway, to get to the point: although I have gone through it for ideas
> quite a few times since I received it, it only dawned on me today that
> there are very few fish/seafood recipes in it i.e. a couple of shrimp
> recipes and Jill's Sole Piccata. Lots of beef, chicken and pork recipes
> tho'. I've seen plenty of fishy-stuff discussed here, so I found it
> odd...
>
> So, fellow rfc-ers, what say you about this 'strange phenomenon'?
>
> --
> Cheers
> Chatty Cathy

IIRC we were each limited to three recipes each. It started out with a
larger number but it quickly became unmanageable. So we had to submit what
we felt were our best three recipes (at the time).

Jill

Posted to rec.food.cooking

"jmcquown" > wrote in message
> "ChattyCathy" > wrote in message
>> Around March this year, I received a copy of The RFC Cookbook from
>> another very kind-hearted rfc-er who had a spare copy, and kindly sent
>> it on to me...
>>
>> Anyway, to get to the point: although I have gone through it for ideas
>> quite a few times since I received it, it only dawned on me today that
>> there are very few fish/seafood recipes in it i.e. a couple of shrimp
>> recipes and Jill's Sole Piccata. Lots of beef, chicken and pork recipes
>> tho'. I've seen plenty of fishy-stuff discussed here, so I found it
>> odd...
>>
>> So, fellow rfc-ers, what say you about this 'strange phenomenon'?
>>
>> --
>> Cheers
>> Chatty Cathy

> IIRC we were each limited to three recipes each. It started out with a
> larger number but it quickly became unmanageable. So we had to submit
> what we felt were our best three recipes (at the time).
>
> Jill

This is true, plus there aren't any exotic fish recipes that too many folks
would make let alone eat, ie, poached fish, sweet and sour fish, gefilte
fish, fish in aspic, etc.... most only know the breaded generic fish recipes
that are sponsored at fast food joints, the basics on the Red Lobster menu,
and the typical simplistic shellfish dishes found on any dago/frog joint
menu. Also fresh fish is not readily available and/or at affordable prices
in most of the US... and all that crap about clear eyes and sniff tests is
just that, crap... there is only one way to know fish is fresh when you buy
it, it's still breathing, better if still swimming. When I was a kid my mom
would buy live fish from the local fish monger, picked from a huge tank....
we couldn't bathe on Thursday because the tub contained live fish that were
prepared on Friday morning... my brother and I would never watch that part.
Back then there were hundreds, maybe thousands, of fish markets in NYC where
one could buy live fish from large galvanized tanks with cold tap water
running in one end and out the overflow drain at the other end. Try to
visualize food shopping before the days of refrigeration... when I was a kid
stores still had ice-a-box... I'm sure there aren't very many of yoose who
have ever experienced food when it was real and it was fresh, everything
today is processed. Even what's call fresh produce today ain't really
fresh, not when it was harvested weeks ago and is coated with wax and
treated with acids so it would survive weeks of refrigeration. Believe it
or not when I was a young boy there were as many acres in Brooklyn and
Queens devoted to farming as housing... the many farmers brought their daily
harvest to market by horse cart. The same farmers went south during winter
to farm a piece of land they owned there... these were called truck farmers,
they grew a great variety on few acres... there were no illegal migrants
then. There were no Irish Americans, Italian Americans, African Americans,
Hispanic Americans etc. then, everyone who lived in America was 100%
American.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

Default fish recipes? (story)

"brooklyn1" > wrote in message

<snip>

> This is true, plus there aren't any exotic fish recipes that too many
> folks would make let alone eat, ie, poached fish, sweet and sour fish,
> gefilte fish, fish in aspic, etc.... most only know the breaded generic
> fish recipes that are sponsored at fast food joints, the basics on the Red
> Lobster menu, and the typical simplistic shellfish dishes found on any
> dago/frog joint menu. Also fresh fish is not readily available and/or at
> affordable prices in most of the US... and all that crap about clear eyes
> and sniff tests is just that, crap... there is only one way to know fish
> is fresh when you buy it, it's still breathing, better if still swimming.
> When I was a kid my mom would buy live fish from the local fish monger,
> picked from a huge tank.... we couldn't bathe on Thursday because the tub
> contained live fish that were prepared on Friday morning... my brother and
> I would never watch that part. Back then there were hundreds, maybe
> thousands, of fish markets in NYC where one could buy live fish from large
> galvanized tanks with cold tap water running in one end and out the
> overflow drain at the other end. Try to visualize food shopping before
> the days of refrigeration... when I was a kid stores still had
> ice-a-box... I'm sure there aren't very many of yoose who have ever
> experienced food when it was real and it was fresh, everything today is
> processed. Even what's call fresh produce today ain't really fresh, not
> when it was harvested weeks ago and is coated with wax and treated with
> acids so it would survive weeks of refrigeration. Believe it or not when
> I was a young boy there were as many acres in Brooklyn and Queens devoted
> to farming as housing... the many farmers brought their daily harvest to
> market by horse cart. The same farmers went south during winter to farm a
> piece of land they owned there... these were called truck farmers, they
> grew a great variety on few acres... there were no illegal migrants then.
> There were no Irish Americans, Italian Americans, African Americans,
> Hispanic Americans etc. then, everyone who lived in America was 100%
> American.

You don't need exotic fish recipes - Just fresh fish

One year about 1955 or so as usual I had flown to New York to spend the
summer on Long Island with my grandparents.

We left the city a few days after I arrived to go out to the Bayville
(north shore) apartment to open it, clean it etc. My grandmother stayed back
in the city getting ready for the full move and caring for her ATTACK CAT
(do not walk too near a bed with bare feet). The chores didn't take too
long. The "Apartment" was 1 GIANT room with a tiny kitchen off to the side.

My grandfather and I decided we needed to TEST our fishing equipment, bamboo
poles and Penn reels - so off we went to the shore to do a little fishing
off the retaining wall - a very rocky area. . After a while I landed a 3
pound or so "Blackie". One fish was enough. On the way back to the apartment
we stopped at the local soda shop/convenience store/bread store/newspaper
joint and he purchased a few lemons and an onion and stick (yes 1 stick) of
sweet butter 2 potatoes, and what I now know to be a baguette. When we got
back to the apartment area I gutted and scaled our soon to be dinner .

For those not from that area as near as I can tell Blackies are/were black
sea bass.

My grandfather put a few pats of butter and an old aluminum baking pan the
he layer a few slices of lemon over the butter then came Mr. Blackie with a
little salt and pepper, with a slice or 2 of lemon in his gut, he was was
scored on the top & bottom with a few dots of butter and some more lemon
slices on the top. Into the baby little oven he went with the potatoes.
About an hour or so later we sat down do a GOURMET meal of fresh fish, baked
potato, canned peas, and a fresh baguette, along with more lemon wedges (a
Greek Requirement).

Certainly a meal and a memory that will be with me till the day I met him
again.

Dimitri

Posted to rec.food.cooking

ChattyCathy wrote:
> Around March this year, I received a copy of The RFC Cookbook from
> another very kind-hearted rfc-er who had a spare copy, and kindly sent
> it on to me...
>
> Anyway, to get to the point: although I have gone through it for ideas
> quite a few times since I received it, it only dawned on me today that
> there are very few fish/seafood recipes in it i.e. a couple of shrimp
> recipes and Jill's Sole Piccata. Lots of beef, chicken and pork recipes
> tho'. I've seen plenty of fishy-stuff discussed here, so I found it
> odd...
>
> So, fellow rfc-ers, what say you about this 'strange phenomenon'?

If we ever do a second cookbook, let's keep that in mind!

--
Jean B.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

wrote:
> On May 8, 9:36 am, "Nancy Young" > wrote:
>> As far as your question goes, you don't even see fish recipes on
>> rfc all that often. Or maybe I block them out. I don't think
>> Americans eat much fish compared to many other countries,
>> and we do make up a lot of this newsgroup.
>>
>> nancy (not a fish eater)

> We are fish eaters, at least once a week. I've participated in
> threads about halibut (caddy ganty, e.g.), salmon (grilling), trout
> (campfire), and have at least mentioned huachinango veracruzano and
> coulibiac (or salmon wellington). Calamari steaks, if that counts,
> and fish and chips, and the (good) quality of TJ's frozen fish. I
> agree with those who say, in effect, that there just isn't that much
> to say or ask about fish because it's usually best treated simply.
> Once you know how to make a brown butter or a simple shallots/white
> wine/butter sauce, what else do you need to know?
>
> Most important is finding a good fishmonger, which usually means (in
> the USA) you have to live on one of the coasts. Even here in SoCal my
> fish market is a special trip 20 minutes in the other direction from
> where errands usually take me.
>
> Oh, and count me among those who find tilapia decidedly inferior. -
> aem

I seem to recall that farm-raised tilapia, which is generally what
one finds, is not good for human health.

--
Jean B.

Posted to rec.food.cooking