Posted to rec.food.cooking

Default garlic and/or black pepper?

Does garlic go with black pepper, or is it an either/or situation? I
was making some soup that called for black pepper, but wanted to add
garlic too. Just a basic potato soup, which starts out as mashed
potatoes and then I use some of the mashed potatoes to make soup. Btw,
you can freeze soup-- can you freeze mashed potatoes you are going to
use for soup?

Posted to rec.food.cooking

"Gus" > wrote in message
> Does garlic go with black pepper, or is it an either/or situation? I was
> making some soup that called for black pepper, but wanted to add garlic
> too. Just a basic potato soup, which starts out as mashed potatoes and
> then I use some of the mashed potatoes to make soup. Btw, you can freeze
> soup-- can you freeze mashed potatoes you are going to use for soup?

I don't want to be rude, but are you for real??

--
http://www.helpforheroes.org.uk/shop/

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On 2013-12-18 8:07 AM, Ophelia wrote:

> "Gus" > wrote in message
>> Does garlic go with black pepper, or is it an either/or situation? I
>> was making some soup that called for black pepper, but wanted to add
>> garlic too. Just a basic potato soup, which starts out as mashed
>> potatoes and then I use some of the mashed potatoes to make soup.
>> Btw, you can freeze soup-- can you freeze mashed potatoes you are
>> going to use for soup?

> I don't want to be rude, but are you for real??

I wonder the same about Julie but you seem to take her seriously.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

Gus wrote:

> Does garlic go with black pepper, or is it an either/or situation?

I use both together all the time.

> was making some soup that called for black pepper, but wanted to add
> garlic too. Just a basic potato soup, which starts out as mashed
> potatoes and then I use some of the mashed potatoes to make soup.

If you're following a recipe and you're the novice cook you sound like,
I recommend you follow the recipe to the letter the first time you make
it - start by knowing how that tastes, and then if you like it, adjust
it the second and further times you make it. Changing recipes before
ever making them the way you found them is the domain of experienced
cooks, IMHO.

> Btw, you can freeze soup-- can you freeze mashed potatoes you are
> going to use for soup?

I haven't tried either of those, but I think the answer is yes to both.

-S-

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Wednesday, December 18, 2013 8:07:54 AM UTC-5, Ophelia wrote:

> I don't want to be rude, but are you for real??

Some people are not good at imitating real life.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Wednesday, December 18, 2013 7:46:01 AM UTC-6, Dave Smith wrote:
> On 2013-12-18 8:07 AM, Ophelia wrote:
>

> > "Gus" > wrote in message

> >> Does garlic go with black pepper, or is it an either/or situation? I

> >> was making some soup that called for black pepper, but wanted to add

> >> garlic too. Just a basic potato soup, which starts out as mashed

> >> potatoes and then I use some of the mashed potatoes to make soup.

> >> Btw, you can freeze soup-- can you freeze mashed potatoes you are

> >> going to use for soup?

> > I don't want to be rude, but are you for real??

> I wonder the same about Julie but you seem to take her seriously.

I quit wondering about Julie some time ago. Unfortunately, she seems
to be quite real.

--Bryan
"Julie should give hubby a BJ for x-mas, and a threesome with her
bratty daughter." --Brooklyn1 in rec.food.cooking 12-17-2013
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Wed, 18 Dec 2013 07:45:11 -0500, "Gus" >
wrote:

> Does garlic go with black pepper, or is it an either/or situation? I
> was making some soup that called for black pepper, but wanted to add
> garlic too. Just a basic potato soup, which starts out as mashed
> potatoes and then I use some of the mashed potatoes to make soup.

Of course they go together! You have to decide if you like them
together in that soup (try roasting the garlic first), but it will be
up to you to taste it and decide.

> Btw,
> you can freeze soup-- can you freeze mashed potatoes you are going to
> use for soup?

I'd just mash/smash the potato and freeze it plain.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

"Steve Freides" > wrote in message

> If you're following a recipe and you're the novice cook you sound
> like,

I don't think I've advanced enough yet to be called novice.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

"sf" > wrote in message
> On Wed, 18 Dec 2013 07:45:11 -0500, "Gus" >
> wrote:
>
>> Does garlic go with black pepper, or is it an either/or situation? I
>> was making some soup that called for black pepper, but wanted to add
>> garlic too. Just a basic potato soup, which starts out as mashed
>> potatoes and then I use some of the mashed potatoes to make soup.

> Of course they go together! You have to decide if you like them
> together in that soup (try roasting the garlic first), but it will be
> up to you to taste it and decide.

Is there anything garlic doesn't go with, besides peanut butter?

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Wed, 18 Dec 2013 13:59:13 -0500, "Gus" >
wrote:

> "sf" > wrote in message
> > On Wed, 18 Dec 2013 07:45:11 -0500, "Gus" >
> > wrote:
> >
> >> Does garlic go with black pepper, or is it an either/or situation? I
> >> was making some soup that called for black pepper, but wanted to add
> >> garlic too. Just a basic potato soup, which starts out as mashed
> >> potatoes and then I use some of the mashed potatoes to make soup.

> > Of course they go together! You have to decide if you like them
> > together in that soup (try roasting the garlic first), but it will be
> > up to you to taste it and decide.

> Is there anything garlic doesn't go with, besides peanut butter?

I'd venture to make a blanket statement and say anything sweet where
garlic is a dominate flavor (not masked by others) - but I'm sure you
will find an exception or three if you Googled. I'll let you go first
tasting it.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

"sf" > wrote in message
> On Wed, 18 Dec 2013 13:59:13 -0500, "Gus" >
>> Is there anything garlic doesn't go with, besides peanut butter?

> I'd venture to make a blanket statement and say anything sweet where
> garlic is a dominate flavor (not masked by others) - but I'm sure you
> will find an exception or three if you Googled. I'll let you go first
> tasting it.
> --

My parents never used garlic (or onions). My dad an ulcer in the early
60s and nearly died and they cut out like 3/4 of his stomach, and
couldn't eat spicy things. (I don't think he ever did.) Anyway, the
five kids in my family all feel like we were deprived because we never
were exposed to garlic, or much of anything other than very standard
fare. I love garlic but not a lot of experience with it.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

In article >, Gus > wrote:
>"sf" > wrote in message
.. .
>> On Wed, 18 Dec 2013 07:45:11 -0500, "Gus" >
>> wrote:
>>
>>> Does garlic go with black pepper, or is it an either/or situation? I
>>> was making some soup that called for black pepper, but wanted to add
>>> garlic too. Just a basic potato soup, which starts out as mashed
>>> potatoes and then I use some of the mashed potatoes to make soup.

>> Of course they go together! You have to decide if you like them
>> together in that soup (try roasting the garlic first), but it will be
>> up to you to taste it and decide.

>Is there anything garlic doesn't go with, besides peanut butter?

Actually, garlic does go with peanut butter. Two preps come to mind.

My recipe for cold sesame noodles has peanut butter in it (and plenty
of garlic)--an American substitution for sesame paste that I've
come to enjoy.

Indonesian sate babi (pork kebabs) has both peanut butter and garlic.

Here's the sesame noodles recipe, which I had already typed up.
It calls for sesame paste, but I've been making it with all peanut
butter and some extra sesame oil.

Sesame Noodles

2 cloves garlic, minced
0.5-1 teaspoon grated fresh ginger
1 tablespoon sesame oil
3 tablespoons soy sauce
2 tablespoons rice wine
2 tablespoons rice wine vinegar
0.5 teaspoon chili paste
pinch of five-spice powder
2 tablespoons sesame paste (not tahini!)
2 tablespoons peanut butter
1 scallion, chopped
1 tablespoons chopped fresh cilantro (optional)
8 oz dried noodles

Puree everything but noodles until free of lumps. Cook noodles and cool.
Toss puree with noodles, shredded carrot, cucumber, finely sliced scallion,
small cauliflower florets, bean sprouts, sliced snow peas, or whatever
you like. The more ingredients, the closer it is to a whole meal. Shredded
cooked chicken, turkey or pork might also be nice.

This recipe came from one of the Moosewood cookbooks, perhaps
Sundays at Moosewood.

Cindy Hamilton

Posted to rec.food.cooking

"Cindy Hamilton" > wrote in message
.. .

> Actually, garlic does go with peanut butter. Two preps come to mind.
>
> My recipe for cold sesame noodles has peanut butter in it (and plenty
> of garlic)--an American substitution for sesame paste that I've
> come to enjoy.

I am not yet up to novice... Thai food has quite a bit of garlic
doesn't it? And peanut sauces. So garlic with peanut sauce makes
sense. I love pad Thai but never attempted to make it... I was
thinking a peanut butter sandwich with garlic. It crossed my mind
before posting maybe that would be good, but decided it sounded odd. I
will have to try it sometime now.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

In article >, Gus > wrote:
>"Cindy Hamilton" > wrote in message
. ..

>> Actually, garlic does go with peanut butter. Two preps come to mind.
>>
>> My recipe for cold sesame noodles has peanut butter in it (and plenty
>> of garlic)--an American substitution for sesame paste that I've
>> come to enjoy.

>I am not yet up to novice... Thai food has quite a bit of garlic
>doesn't it? And peanut sauces. So garlic with peanut sauce makes
>sense. I love pad Thai but never attempted to make it... I was
>thinking a peanut butter sandwich with garlic. It crossed my mind
>before posting maybe that would be good, but decided it sounded odd. I
>will have to try it sometime now.

I think peanut butter and garlic need a few more things to bring
them together happily. Much as I love Asian foods that combine
peanuts and garlic, I think I'll stick with strawberry jam on my
peanut butter sandwich.

Of course, that's just me. I've found that people enjoy lots of
combinations that sound horrible to me. You only have to please
yourself.

I remember you asking a while back about soup. I make an easy
vegetable soup this way:

Chop onion and garlic and fry in a little fat. Butter,
olive oil, bacon grease, whatever. It's all good. Maybe a
small onion or half a large one, and one or two cloves of garlic,
depending on thir size. Start the onions first; when they're
nearly translucent, add the garlic. Garlic cooks a lot faster
than onions, and tastes nasty when burned.

Add one 15-ounce can of diced tomatoes, including the juice.

Add one 32-ounce box of chicken broth, or beef broth, or
vegetable broth. I like Swanson's Natural Goodness, but
opinions vary.

You could add a pinch of herbs here. Oregano or thyme
might be nice. If you're low-sodium, you might have
Mrs Dash on hand.

Add half a bag of frozen mixed vegetables.
(I think my bag is 12 or 16 ounces, and has corn, peas, green
beans, carrots, lima beans. The brand is Freshlike, but you
can get whatever you like).

Add some defrosted frozen broccoli or cauliflower, chopped into
bite-size pieces. (I'd like to use cabbage, but an entire head
is a bit much to use up, since my husband doesn't like vegetables.)

You can also add a can of plain, cooked beans. I like Great Northern
or Navy beans, but any will do.

This is the point where I add salt and pepper. It always tastes
bland to me if the salt isn't cooked into the vegetables.

Simmer until the vegetables are as cooked as much as you like them.
I don't like mushy vegetables, so I don't cook them all that long.
I often add the cauliflower when the other veggies are done, and just
let it kind of heat through in the residual heat of the rest of the soup.

Cindy Hamilton

Posted to rec.food.cooking

"Gus" > wrote in message
> "Steve Freides" > wrote in message
>
>> If you're following a recipe and you're the novice cook you sound like,

> I don't think I've advanced enough yet to be called novice.

well then you don't belong here. Come back when you still know nothing but
insist that you know more than everybody else.

welcome.

you can freeze mashed potatoes.

I agree with the other poster - make the recipe the way it is written the
first time and see if you get it right. Then make it again - you will make
it better. Then start modifying.

Black pepper and garlic are not "substitutes". You can use either or both
as you wish.

Re black pepper - you should grind your own for much better flavor than pre
ground.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

Ophelia wrote:

> "Gus" > wrote in message
> > Does garlic go with black pepper, or is it an either/or situation? I was
> > making some soup that called for black pepper, but wanted to add garlic
> > too. Just a basic potato soup, which starts out as mashed potatoes and
> > then I use some of the mashed potatoes to make soup. Btw, you can freeze
> > soup-- can you freeze mashed potatoes you are going to use for soup?

> I don't want to be rude, but are you for real??

LMAO! I just read his post before I read your response here. I was
wondering the same thing. WTH kind of dumb questions were those?

G. ;-)
Posted to rec.food.cooking

"Gary" > wrote in message ...
> Ophelia wrote:
>>
>> "Gus" > wrote in message
>> > Does garlic go with black pepper, or is it an either/or situation? I
>> > was
>> > making some soup that called for black pepper, but wanted to add garlic
>> > too. Just a basic potato soup, which starts out as mashed potatoes and
>> > then I use some of the mashed potatoes to make soup. Btw, you can
>> > freeze
>> > soup-- can you freeze mashed potatoes you are going to use for soup?

>> I don't want to be rude, but are you for real??

> LMAO! I just read his post before I read your response here. I was
> wondering the same thing. WTH kind of dumb questions were those?

Well it seems not so dumb after all and I apologise.

--
http://www.helpforheroes.org.uk/shop/

Posted to rec.food.cooking

Dave Smith wrote:

> On 2013-12-18 8:07 AM, Ophelia wrote:
> > I don't want to be rude, but are you for real??
> >

> I wonder the same about Julie but you seem to take her seriously.

I'm convinced that Julie is serious. It's sad that she has so many
issues but she keeps on. She also keeps her head above water when
getting picked on constantly. This is RFC's Julie(tm). Just love her.
heheh

G.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

Steve Freides wrote:

> > Btw, you can freeze soup-- can you freeze mashed potatoes you are
> > going to use for soup?

> I haven't tried either of those, but I think the answer is yes to both.

Mashed potatoes freeze just fine. Many frozen dinners include that.

G.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

"Gary" > wrote in message ...
> Dave Smith wrote:
>>
>> On 2013-12-18 8:07 AM, Ophelia wrote:
>> > I don't want to be rude, but are you for real??
>> >

>> I wonder the same about Julie but you seem to take her seriously.

> I'm convinced that Julie is serious. It's sad that she has so many
> issues but she keeps on. She also keeps her head above water when
> getting picked on constantly. This is RFC's Julie(tm). Just love her.
> heheh

You have a good heart.

--
http://www.helpforheroes.org.uk/shop/

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Wed, 18 Dec 2013 14:18:45 -0500, "Gus" >
wrote:

> "sf" > wrote in message
> > On Wed, 18 Dec 2013 13:59:13 -0500, "Gus" >
> >> Is there anything garlic doesn't go with, besides peanut butter?

> > I'd venture to make a blanket statement and say anything sweet where
> > garlic is a dominate flavor (not masked by others) - but I'm sure you
> > will find an exception or three if you Googled. I'll let you go first
> > tasting it.
> > --

> My parents never used garlic (or onions). My dad an ulcer in the early
> 60s and nearly died and they cut out like 3/4 of his stomach, and
> couldn't eat spicy things. (I don't think he ever did.) Anyway, the
> five kids in my family all feel like we were deprived because we never
> were exposed to garlic, or much of anything other than very standard
> fare. I love garlic but not a lot of experience with it.

Here's something to wow your siblings with: Roast a whole head of
garlic, then put it on a platter with a wedge of double or triple
cream brie and some slices of a decent baguette. I am posting an
example for you but there are more versions on the internet.
http://www.dramaticpancake.com/2013/...e-on-baguette/

Posted to rec.food.cooking

"Wayne Boatwright" > wrote in message
> I sometimes enjoy a peanut butter and onion sandwich.

I kind of like peanut butter and pickles once in a great while,
especially toasted with a veggie dog.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

"Reggie" > wrote in message
> "Gus" > wrote in message
>> I don't think I've advanced enough yet to be called novice.

> well then you don't belong here. Come back when you still know
> nothing but insist that you know more than everybody else.

lol!

> welcome.
>
> you can freeze mashed potatoes.
>
> I agree with the other poster - make the recipe the way it is written
> the first time and see if you get it right. Then make it again - you
> will make it better. Then start modifying.
>
> Black pepper and garlic are not "substitutes". You can use either or
> both as you wish.
>
> Re black pepper - you should grind your own for much better flavor
> than pre ground.

Thanks for the info. The last few years, I buy pepper that has a built
in grinder. It's fun to use.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

"Ophelia" > wrote in message

> Well it seems not so dumb after all and I apologise.

so'k... neophytes ask dumb questions. But it's a way to learn.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

"Ophelia" > wrote in message

> "Gary" > wrote in message
>> Dave Smith wrote:

>>> I wonder the same about Julie but you seem to take her seriously.

>> I'm convinced that Julie is serious. It's sad that she has so many
>> issues but she keeps on. She also keeps her head above water when
>> getting picked on constantly. This is RFC's Julie(tm). Just love her.
>> heheh

> You have a good heart.

I've noticed Julie and the replies... She must be part reptile-- a good
way, the thick skin.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

"Gus" > wrote in message
> "Ophelia" > wrote in message
>
>> Well it seems not so dumb after all and I apologise.

> so'k... neophytes ask dumb questions. But it's a way to learn.

Thank you

--
http://www.helpforheroes.org.uk/shop/

Posted to rec.food.cooking

"Gus" > wrote in message
> "Ophelia" > wrote in message

>>> I'm convinced that Julie is serious. It's sad that she has so many
>>> issues but she keeps on. She also keeps her head above water when
>>> getting picked on constantly. This is RFC's Julie(tm). Just love her.
>>> heheh

>> You have a good heart.

> I've noticed Julie and the replies... She must be part reptile-- a good
> way, the thick skin.

She has a good heart too. She never attacks and still responds nicely to
those who have attacked her. Recently has she been biting back a wee bit.
She has a difficult life and tries to make the best of it. I certainly
wouldn't put up with what she has to. None of us is perfect so it is
amusing to see those 'perfect' people sneering at her.

--
http://www.helpforheroes.org.uk/shop/

Posted to rec.food.cooking

"Cindy Hamilton" > wrote in message
.. .
> I think peanut butter and garlic need a few more things to bring
> them together happily. Much as I love Asian foods that combine
> peanuts and garlic, I think I'll stick with strawberry jam on my
> peanut butter sandwich.

> Simmer until the vegetables are as cooked as much as you like them.
> I don't like mushy vegetables, so I don't cook them all that long.
> I often add the cauliflower when the other veggies are done, and just
> let it kind of heat through in the residual heat of the rest of the
> soup.
>
> Cindy Hamilton
> --

Thanks. Unfortunately, or fortunately-- depending on your opinion-- I'm
vegetarian. One reason I would like to cook more. Especially soups, so
many people put meat or meat broth in soup. Even a lot of vegetables
soups have meat in them. And this house gets so cold, soup is becoming
one of my staples.

I can't stomach lima beans. I try once every decade and just can't eat
them.

I bought a Mrs Dash couple years ago, but think I have lost my taste for
that and prefer just garlic or black pepper etc. Or curry, I like
curry. I like hot/spicy.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

"sf" > wrote in message

> Here's something to wow your siblings with: Roast a whole head of
> garlic, then put it on a platter with a wedge of double or triple
> cream brie and some slices of a decent baguette. I am posting an
> example for you but there are more versions on the internet.
> http://www.dramaticpancake.com/2013/...e-on-baguette/

That sounds scrumptious! I think my next adventure will be garlic soup.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Wed, 18 Dec 2013 18:36:52 -0500, "Gus" >
wrote:

> "sf" > wrote in message
>
> > Here's something to wow your siblings with: Roast a whole head of
> > garlic, then put it on a platter with a wedge of double or triple
> > cream brie and some slices of a decent baguette. I am posting an
> > example for you but there are more versions on the internet.
> > http://www.dramaticpancake.com/2013/...e-on-baguette/

> That sounds scrumptious! I think my next adventure will be garlic soup.

That's quite daring for a garlic novice!

Posted to rec.food.cooking

"Gus" > wrote in message
> Does garlic go with black pepper, or is it an either/or situation? I was
> making some soup that called for black pepper, but wanted to add garlic
> too. Just a basic potato soup, which starts out as mashed potatoes and
> then I use some of the mashed potatoes to make soup. Btw, you can freeze
> soup-- can you freeze mashed potatoes you are going to use for soup?

They go together. And while you can freeze potatoes, the texture will
change some.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

"Dave Smith" > wrote in message
> On 2013-12-18 8:07 AM, Ophelia wrote:
>>

>> "Gus" > wrote in message
>>> Does garlic go with black pepper, or is it an either/or situation? I
>>> was making some soup that called for black pepper, but wanted to add
>>> garlic too. Just a basic potato soup, which starts out as mashed
>>> potatoes and then I use some of the mashed potatoes to make soup.
>>> Btw, you can freeze soup-- can you freeze mashed potatoes you are
>>> going to use for soup?

>> I don't want to be rude, but are you for real??
>>

> I wonder the same about Julie but you seem to take her seriously.

*sigh*

I wonder about you too.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

"Gary" > wrote in message ...
> Dave Smith wrote:
>>
>> On 2013-12-18 8:07 AM, Ophelia wrote:
>> > I don't want to be rude, but are you for real??
>> >

>> I wonder the same about Julie but you seem to take her seriously.

> I'm convinced that Julie is serious. It's sad that she has so many
> issues but she keeps on. She also keeps her head above water when
> getting picked on constantly. This is RFC's Julie(tm). Just love her.
> heheh

Gus may well be for real too. Hard to say. I do know some people who are
totally clueless about food. My one friend who is the Hungarian/Italian and
loves to cook once came to me with a downright crazed look on her face.
Said her roommate was driving her nuts! She had made some sort of vegetable
dish that called for certain amounts of carrots, cauliflower and so on.
Turns out that she had bought slightly more than she needed and the extra
bits were leaving her in a frenzy! My friend said there really wasn't much
extra at all. Perhaps two slices of carrot, one broccoli floret. She told
her just to throw them in there and the woman freaked! Just could not do
that!

Now I can understand the need to be precise when it comes to making certain
candies and baking because there is some science going on there. Can even
understand it with sauces and the like. But adding a little bit of extra
vegetables? And yet... Some people think of cooking as a very precise
thing like that. I had a roommate who was like that too. She actually
needed a recipe to make a burrito.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

"Gus" > wrote in message

> I've noticed Julie and the replies... She must be part reptile-- a good
> way, the thick skin.

When you grew up with the kind of background that I had, you learn to be
that way.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

"Ophelia" > wrote in message

> "Gus" > wrote in message

>>> You have a good heart.

>> I've noticed Julie and the replies... She must be part reptile-- a good
>> way, the thick skin.

> She has a good heart too. She never attacks and still responds nicely to
> those who have attacked her. Recently has she been biting back a wee bit.
> She has a difficult life and tries to make the best of it. I certainly
> wouldn't put up with what she has to. None of us is perfect so it is
> amusing to see those 'perfect' people sneering at her.

Afraid I have been more snappish that usual. Got over being sick. Seem to
have a bit of insomnia now. Husband just changed schedules and all sorts of
medical things going on with people around me. So am feeling more stress
than usual. Thankfully I got all of my holiday stuff done way early, save
for a small amount of food shopping. Still don't have the plans nailed down
as to the extended family celebration but everything else is under control.

Now if I could just catch the oily varmint who is undercoating my Dwarf
Alberta Spruce trees in front yard! I didn't put up any lights out there
this year. Just some gold garland to start with. That stayed for a week
with no problems. So, Angela and I took out the box of unbreakable
ornaments and put a few up. Neighbor stopped by that I did not know. Said
that she always looked forward to my decorations because I did such a good
job of it. I used to decorate for every single holiday, including lights.
But after being robbed and vandalized several times, I scaled way back. And
the cord for the lights was in my gardener's way.

I felt good after she told me this but... The damage began a mere few days
later. Not sure how many ornaments they have deliberately broken now. But
two of the lollipops and those were my favorites. And I have had to put the
garland back up perhaps 4 times now. I still have a big box of plastic
ornaments which perhaps are easy to break now having been out in the
elements for so many years. One year we actually saw some teens trying to
break them but I didn't feel like tangling with them.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

"Gary" > wrote in message ...
> Ophelia wrote:
>>
>> "Gus" > wrote in message
>> > Does garlic go with black pepper, or is it an either/or situation? I
>> > was
>> > making some soup that called for black pepper, but wanted to add garlic
>> > too. Just a basic potato soup, which starts out as mashed potatoes and
>> > then I use some of the mashed potatoes to make soup. Btw, you can
>> > freeze
>> > soup-- can you freeze mashed potatoes you are going to use for soup?

>> I don't want to be rude, but are you for real??

> LMAO! I just read his post before I read your response here. I was
> wondering the same thing. WTH kind of dumb questions were those?
>
> G. ;-)

There is this woman on a food allergy forum who always drives me nuts.
Always posts similar things. Is ____ cheese safe for those of us with a
peanut allergy? I bought some but am now afraid to eat it!

I always picture this woman wasting away to nothing, cowering in fear with a
table full of foods and not being able to bring herself to try them. And if
she didn't think something was safe, then why did she buy it to begin with?

She lives in the US too and these days the labels are pretty clear.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On 12/18/2013 6:46 PM, Sqwertz wrote:
> The only reason he posts here is so that he has somebody to talk to.

Oh Sqwerty dear, you poor lonely thing!
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On 12/18/2013 7:48 PM, Sqwertz wrote:
>> That's quite daring for a garlic novice!

> There's that humping sound again! Careful or Casa Boner will get
> jealous.
>
> -sw

Shall we discuss what you did to poor Omelet again?
Posted to rec.food.cooking

"Gus" > wrote in message
> "sf" > wrote in message
>> On Wed, 18 Dec 2013 13:59:13 -0500, "Gus" >
>>> Is there anything garlic doesn't go with, besides peanut butter?

>> I'd venture to make a blanket statement and say anything sweet where
>> garlic is a dominate flavor (not masked by others) - but I'm sure you
>> will find an exception or three if you Googled. I'll let you go first
>> tasting it.
>> --

> My parents never used garlic (or onions). My dad an ulcer in the early
> 60s and nearly died and they cut out like 3/4 of his stomach, and couldn't
> eat spicy things. (I don't think he ever did.) Anyway, the five kids in
> my family all feel like we were deprived because we never were exposed to
> garlic, or much of anything other than very standard fare. I love garlic
> but not a lot of experience with it.

We never had onions. Yes, my mom bought those dried, minced ones and put
them in her meatloaf. And I even grew them in my garden because I had read
they would repel bugs. At the end of each season, I plucked them up and
tossed them. I did see onions in the store but never realized that they
were edible simply because they were not in our house and I don't think
garlic was either! My mom didn't like to cook and mostly didn't use
seasonings beyond salt, pepper, chili powder and cinnamon.

My mom did come from a farm but was a child during the depression years.
From what I've been reading about the food history of that time period, many
seasonings were hard to come by. I think chili powder was one thing they
could readily get because the ingredients came from Mexico. So she was
likely taught to cook using only the seasonings they could easily get. I am
just surmising this but it makes sense.

I didn't learn about onions until I saw a cooking show and saw them being
used. Then I began using them but my mom always put up a big stink that
they would stink up her fridge if I ever put in a partially used one. Hint!
Rub butter on the cut end. No stink. Margarine will work too.

The garlic didn't come along until I hooked up with my husband who is
Italian. He LOVES garlic! So I began using it in my cooking. Then one day
I was visiting my youngest SIL who was just learning to cook. She asked me
to taste one of the traditional family Christmas dishes. She then
apologized and said that the recipe called for one clove of garlic. She
thought she had done it right but she had put in the whole head. And I was
like... Uh... Wait! Clove? Head? She then picked up a head of garlic
and said something like... I didn't realize that *this* contained a bunch
of cloves so I put the whole thing in.

That's when I confessed that I thought like she did. If a recipe called for
3 cloves, I had been putting in 3 heads! She didn't believe me when I said
this but it was true. I am older than her and have been cooking for a lot
longer. But we never had any garlic in the house and since I don't actually
like garlic, I hadn't paid attention if it was on a cooking show. But I
know about it now!

Am going to try Martha Stewart's technique for getting the papery stuff off.
She used two small metal mixing bowls of the same size. Put the garlic in
one, turn the other upside down on top of it, hold the edges together with
your hands and shake the hell of of them! Then if that doesn't work, I have
a garlic peeler that I got from Sur La Table. Forgot that I had it! I
still don't use garlic often. And when I do I tend to use the powdered.

Chai tea black pepper Space Cowboy Tea 5 02-06-2010 08:04 AM
Black pepper air? bulka[_2_] General Cooking 9 04-03-2010 08:17 AM
Black Pepper Walker General Cooking 14 23-02-2009 11:28 PM
HOT PEPPER AND GARLIC SHRIMP yankeegrL425 Recipes 0 21-09-2005 08:32 AM
Lentil and Sweet Red Pepper Soup with Cumin and Black Pepper Gladys Dinletir Recipes (moderated) 0 29-12-2004 05:17 AM