Kate Connally

sf wrote:

> On Wed, 10 Nov 2004 16:27:09 -0500, Kate Connally
> > wrote:
>
> > This year, though, there may only be 3 or 4 of us altogether.

> That's enough for a party! I know you had a good time
> alone, but you have to be careful when you start talking to
> yourself!

Shoot, I've been doing that for years, although I pretend
I'm talking to the cats. However, it's hard to pull that
off when I'm in the grocery store or walking down the
street. ;-)

Kate

--
Kate Connally
Until you bite their heads off.”

Charlotte L. Blackmer

In article >,
PENMART01 > wrote:

[my menu challenges]

>>They will all be at Thanksgiving, but Onion Allergy will probably be told
>>to avoid the dressing (no problem as she loves mashed potatoes),
>>Fishitarian is getting a salmon steak, not turkey, and No Dairy will
>>probably take a lactaid or three and eat what he likes.

>Ever notice how regardless the allergy it's never booze.

There are such people, they are usually called "alcoholics". None at my
table this year, although we might think we are after our holiday
imbibing.

They all wish they weren't "whatever". Actually, it was a big advance for
fishitarian to discover she could eat fish. Her hippie parents raised her
vegetarian so she couldn't eat meat if she wanted to.

Otherwise I just tell people what's safe for them.

We decided to bag on the dressing. I don't like it and a number of my
guests can't eat it.

Charlotte

Kathy

Lemon green beans? MMMM, can I have the recipe please?

> Turkey, for sure, and with that, a cranberry compote, lemon green-beans,
> "tidbits plate" consisting of some cheeses, olives, crudites and dips.
> Dessert should be a pumpkin mousse, if I get the time to perfect it - if
> not, cheesecake. We're having guests, so I want to make sure everything
> is perfect.
>
> There will additionally be homemade rolls and mashed sweet potatoes for
> those who will eat those.

Kathy

I tried a couple of times to make lemon meringue pie, & failed I
followed a good recipe carefully too. I'm thinking of buying a mix &
adding zest to it. But it would be great to learn how to make it from
scratch. Any tips?
Kathy

> This year I may add lemon meringue pie as I was watching
> America's text kitchen yesterday when I was home sick
> and they showed how to make a perfect lemon meringue.
> I'm dying to try their method and see how it comes out,
> besides which, lemon meringue is one of my very favorite
> pies.

Dave Smith

Kathy wrote:

> I tried a couple of times to make lemon meringue pie, & failed I
> followed a good recipe carefully too. I'm thinking of buying a mix &
> adding zest to it. But it would be great to learn how to make it from
> scratch. Any tips?
> Kathy

Where did you run into problems? Was it the filling or the meringue?
It's the same basic method from scratch as it is with a package. The
package just gives you the cornstarch and sugar along with the artificial
flavouring and colouring. Heat it up and stir constantly until it
thickens. Let it cool off before putting it in the pre cooked pie
shell. Whip up the egg whites with a bit of Cream of Tartar and add the
sugar and beat into stiff peaks. I usually find two egg whites not to be
enough so I use a third one. Slather the meringue on top of the pie and
bake it until the meringue starts to brown nicely. IMO, it is one of the
easiest pies to make.

texpat

IMO, THIS is the best lemon pie:

3 eggs, separated
1 can Eagle Brand
1/2 C. lemon juice
Zest of 1 lemon.

Mix egg yolks, Eagle Brand, juice and zest together. Pour into baked pie
shell. Top with meringue made w/the 3 egg whites.

This is wonderful!

"Ida Slapter" > wrote in message
> On 20 Nov 2004 08:10:33 -0800, (Kathy) wrote:
>
>>I tried a couple of times to make lemon meringue pie, & failed I
>>followed a good recipe carefully too. I'm thinking of buying a mix &
>>adding zest to it. But it would be great to learn how to make it from
>>scratch. Any tips?

> Try this......simple as pie!
>
> @@@@@ Now You're Cooking! Export Format
>
> Lemon Delicious Pie
>
> desserts, fruits, pies
>
> 1 cup sugar
> 3 tablespoon cornstarch
> 2 oz butter
> 1/4 cup lemon juice
> 3 egg yolks, unbeaten
> 1 cup milk
> 1 cup sour cream
> 1 9 pie shell, baked
> ----TOPPING----
> whipped cream or
> meringue from 3 egg whites
>
> Mix sugar and cornstarch. Combine with butter, lemon juice, egg yolks
> and milk. Cook in top of a double boiler until thick and cooked.
> Remove from heat and let cool.
>
> When cool, stir in sour cream. Pour into baked pie shell.
>
> Serve with whipped cream or make meringue with 3 egg whites.
>
> Meringue: 3 egg whites 1/4 ts cream tartar 6 tablespoons sugar.
>
> Preheat oven to 425F. In Mixing bowl, beat egg whites until frothy.
> Add
> cream of tartar and beat until stiff peaks form. Gradually beat in
> sugar and continue beating until stiff and glossy. Pile meringue
> lightly on cooled pie making sure it touches edge of pastry to prevent
> it from shrinking. Bake five to six minutes.
>
> Yield: 8 servings
>

> ** Exported from Now You're Cooking! v5.66 **

texpat

IMO, THIS is the best lemon pie:

3 eggs, separated
1 can Eagle Brand
1/2 C. lemon juice
Zest of 1 lemon.

Mix egg yolks, Eagle Brand, juice and zest together. Pour into baked pie
shell. Top with meringue made w/the 3 egg whites.

This is wonderful!

"Ida Slapter" > wrote in message
> On 20 Nov 2004 08:10:33 -0800, (Kathy) wrote:
>
>>I tried a couple of times to make lemon meringue pie, & failed I
>>followed a good recipe carefully too. I'm thinking of buying a mix &
>>adding zest to it. But it would be great to learn how to make it from
>>scratch. Any tips?

> Try this......simple as pie!
>
> @@@@@ Now You're Cooking! Export Format
>
> Lemon Delicious Pie
>
> desserts, fruits, pies
>
> 1 cup sugar
> 3 tablespoon cornstarch
> 2 oz butter
> 1/4 cup lemon juice
> 3 egg yolks, unbeaten
> 1 cup milk
> 1 cup sour cream
> 1 9 pie shell, baked
> ----TOPPING----
> whipped cream or
> meringue from 3 egg whites
>
> Mix sugar and cornstarch. Combine with butter, lemon juice, egg yolks
> and milk. Cook in top of a double boiler until thick and cooked.
> Remove from heat and let cool.
>
> When cool, stir in sour cream. Pour into baked pie shell.
>
> Serve with whipped cream or make meringue with 3 egg whites.
>
> Meringue: 3 egg whites 1/4 ts cream tartar 6 tablespoons sugar.
>
> Preheat oven to 425F. In Mixing bowl, beat egg whites until frothy.
> Add
> cream of tartar and beat until stiff peaks form. Gradually beat in
> sugar and continue beating until stiff and glossy. Pile meringue
> lightly on cooled pie making sure it touches edge of pastry to prevent
> it from shrinking. Bake five to six minutes.
>
> Yield: 8 servings
>

> ** Exported from Now You're Cooking! v5.66 **

Karen O'Mara

sf > wrote in message >. ..
> On Sat, 06 Nov 2004 16:46:45 -0500, Dave Smith
> > wrote:
>
> > (never the canned crap),

> Hrumph... I like the canned "crap". That other stuff is
> good too, but it's not comfort food.

I'm serving both, I think.

Karen
Karen O'Mara

Cindy Fuller > wrote in message >...
> We discussed the menu plans last night. Our host is making stuffing
> (actually dressing, since another couple will roast the turkey) with
> onions and garlic. The allergic one is responsible for bringing two
> side dishes that she can eat. Apparently this is not a full-blown
> allergy, since the allergic one wolfed down some of Whole Foods'
> onion-full chopped liver last week.

I always thought dressing was stuffed inside the turkey, and stuffing
was prepared on the outside. When you 'dress a turkey,' -- isn't that
how dressing got its name?

Karen
Nancy Young

Karen O'Mara wrote:

> Cindy Fuller > wrote in message >...
> > We discussed the menu plans last night. Our host is making stuffing
> > (actually dressing, since another couple will roast the turkey) with
> > onions and garlic. The allergic one is responsible for bringing two
> > side dishes that she can eat. Apparently this is not a full-blown
> > allergy, since the allergic one wolfed down some of Whole Foods'
> > onion-full chopped liver last week.

> I always thought dressing was stuffed inside the turkey, and stuffing
> was prepared on the outside. When you 'dress a turkey,' -- isn't that
> how dressing got its name?

Actually, I think dressing a turkey has to do with pulling the feathers
and whatnot. But, even though I can't be bothered with the distinction,
stuffing is stuffed into the turkey, and dressing is cooked on the
side. Me, I call it all stuffing.

nancy
Nancy Young

Karen O'Mara wrote:

> Cindy Fuller > wrote in message >...
> > We discussed the menu plans last night. Our host is making stuffing
> > (actually dressing, since another couple will roast the turkey) with
> > onions and garlic. The allergic one is responsible for bringing two
> > side dishes that she can eat. Apparently this is not a full-blown
> > allergy, since the allergic one wolfed down some of Whole Foods'
> > onion-full chopped liver last week.

> I always thought dressing was stuffed inside the turkey, and stuffing
> was prepared on the outside. When you 'dress a turkey,' -- isn't that
> how dressing got its name?

Actually, I think dressing a turkey has to do with pulling the feathers
and whatnot. But, even though I can't be bothered with the distinction,
stuffing is stuffed into the turkey, and dressing is cooked on the
side. Me, I call it all stuffing.

nancy
Nancy Young

Karen O'Mara wrote:

> Cindy Fuller > wrote in message >...
> > We discussed the menu plans last night. Our host is making stuffing
> > (actually dressing, since another couple will roast the turkey) with
> > onions and garlic. The allergic one is responsible for bringing two
> > side dishes that she can eat. Apparently this is not a full-blown
> > allergy, since the allergic one wolfed down some of Whole Foods'
> > onion-full chopped liver last week.

> I always thought dressing was stuffed inside the turkey, and stuffing
> was prepared on the outside. When you 'dress a turkey,' -- isn't that
> how dressing got its name?

Actually, I think dressing a turkey has to do with pulling the feathers
and whatnot. But, even though I can't be bothered with the distinction,
stuffing is stuffed into the turkey, and dressing is cooked on the
side. Me, I call it all stuffing.

nancy
Kathy

The filling! It was runny, therefore it wasn't a pie, LOL.

> Where did you run into problems? Was it the filling or the meringue?
> It's the same basic method from scratch as it is with a package. The
> package just gives you the cornstarch and sugar along with the artificial
> flavouring and colouring. Heat it up and stir constantly until it
> thickens. Let it cool off before putting it in the pre cooked pie
> shell. Whip up the egg whites with a bit of Cream of Tartar and add the
> sugar and beat into stiff peaks. I usually find two egg whites not to be
> enough so I use a third one. Slather the meringue on top of the pie and
> bake it until the meringue starts to brown nicely. IMO, it is one of the
> easiest pies to make.

Kathy

The filling! It was runny, therefore it wasn't a pie, LOL.

> Where did you run into problems? Was it the filling or the meringue?
> It's the same basic method from scratch as it is with a package. The
> package just gives you the cornstarch and sugar along with the artificial
> flavouring and colouring. Heat it up and stir constantly until it
> thickens. Let it cool off before putting it in the pre cooked pie
> shell. Whip up the egg whites with a bit of Cream of Tartar and add the
> sugar and beat into stiff peaks. I usually find two egg whites not to be
> enough so I use a third one. Slather the meringue on top of the pie and
> bake it until the meringue starts to brown nicely. IMO, it is one of the
> easiest pies to make.

Karen O'Mara

Nancy Young > wrote in message >...
> Actually, I think dressing a turkey has to do with pulling the feathers
> and whatnot. But, even though I can't be bothered with the distinction,
> stuffing is stuffed into the turkey, and dressing is cooked on the
> side. Me, I call it all stuffing.

I think you're right about the feathers being dressed...

I am thinking the stuffing vs. dressing is like pop vs. soda. It
depends on where you're from and sometimes they overlap.

For example, I bet the folks at Windsor Castle don't use the term
"stuffing" whether it's cooked inside or outside of the turkey. I bet
it's always called "dressing."

I think dressing can be stuffed and stuffing can be dressing.

Karen
Karen O'Mara

Nancy Young > wrote in message >...
> Actually, I think dressing a turkey has to do with pulling the feathers
> and whatnot. But, even though I can't be bothered with the distinction,
> stuffing is stuffed into the turkey, and dressing is cooked on the
> side. Me, I call it all stuffing.

I think you're right about the feathers being dressed...

I am thinking the stuffing vs. dressing is like pop vs. soda. It
depends on where you're from and sometimes they overlap.

For example, I bet the folks at Windsor Castle don't use the term
"stuffing" whether it's cooked inside or outside of the turkey. I bet
it's always called "dressing."

I think dressing can be stuffed and stuffing can be dressing.

Karen
Dave Smith

Karen O'Mara wrote:

> I think you're right about the feathers being dressed...
>
> I am thinking the stuffing vs. dressing is like pop vs. soda. It
> depends on where you're from and sometimes they overlap.
>
> For example, I bet the folks at Windsor Castle don't use the term
> "stuffing" whether it's cooked inside or outside of the turkey. I bet
> it's always called "dressing."
>
> I think dressing can be stuffed and stuffing can be dressing.

You are right. Dressing is stuffing. It might also be called farce. But I wouldn't consult the
inbreds at Windsor for anything to do with the real world. They would have to consult their
cooks to know anything about cooking.

Dave Smith