Posted to rec.food.cooking

Default Fresh Express shredded leaf lettuce.

On 26/10/13 10:47 AM, jmcquown wrote:
> On 10/25/2013 7:28 PM, Gary wrote:
>> sf wrote:
>>>
>>> Iceberg is crunchy air. Really awful crunchy air.

>> That's only because you live in the city with all the polluted air.
>>
>> G.
>>

> I'm not lettuce expert (the very thought makes me laugh!). Iceberg is
> pretty much all my parents ever ate. As a teen I was in charge of
> tearing the lettuce and adding in whatever else they wanted. Often
> radishes, as I recall. Notice I said tearing the lettuce? Myth or no
> myth? Chopping lettuce does make it brown much more quickly. I've had
> personal experience with that.

As an old bugger, I get to tear the lettuce as well. tear it up, rinse
it, dry it in the spinner and plate it up. Goes well with sliced radish
and cucumber along with some grated carrot and whatever else is at hand
on the day.

--

Xeno
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On 26/10/13 6:21 PM, Julie Bove wrote:

> "sf" > wrote in message
>> On Fri, 25 Oct 2013 22:22:38 -0700, "Julie Bove"
>> > wrote:
>>

>>> My fridge doesn't have anything labeled as a vegetable bin.

>> I do and they have sliders that control the humidity from "vegetable"
>> to "fruit".

> I wanted that kind. My MIL got a HUGE fridge and it had two such
> drawers which I took advantage of while we were there. I was jealous!
> Alas when it came time to get the new fridge there was only the one that
> I got that would fit in this space. All of the other side by sides were
> too large and the few top freezer models were far too small for a family.

When we finally moved into this house after renting for an extended
period, we initially planned to buy a new fridge. Thought our old one
would look a little small in the designated area in this house. When we
went shopping for a new one, we found all the fridges that would fit
nicely in the position were all too deep. Seems they are all being made
somewhat non standard with respect to depth. Our house, though only 8
years old, has a fridge cavity of a standard depth. We put our 33 year
old fridge into position, decided it didn't look all that bad, and
decided not to buy a new one after all.

--

Xeno
Posted to rec.food.cooking

Xeno Lith wrote:

> As an old bugger, I get to tear the lettuce as well. tear it up, rinse
> it, dry it in the spinner and plate it up. Goes well with sliced radish
> and cucumber along with some grated carrot and whatever else is at hand
> on the day

You forgot to mention onions.

G.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On 10/26/2013 2:05 AM, sf wrote:
> On Fri, 25 Oct 2013 22:17:17 -0700, "Julie Bove"
> > wrote:
>

>> "jmcquown" > wrote in message

>>> I'm not lettuce expert (the very thought makes me laugh!). Iceberg is
>>> pretty much all my parents ever ate. As a teen I was in charge of tearing
>>> the lettuce and adding in whatever else they wanted. Often radishes, as I
>>> recall. Notice I said tearing the lettuce? Myth or no myth? Chopping
>>> lettuce does make it brown much more quickly. I've had personal
>>> experience with that.

>> If you use a plastic knife, it won't brown. We had one of those for making
>> wedges.

> Would a ceramic knife work in the same manner?

Why bother with a knife of any kind? Unless you're chopping "lettuce
mix" for a restaurant kitchen! It doesn't take any effort to tear
lettuce, iceburg or otherwise, to accompany a family dinner.

Jill
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On 10/26/2013 12:38 PM, Gary wrote:
> Xeno Lith wrote:
>>
>> As an old bugger, I get to tear the lettuce as well. tear it up, rinse
>> it, dry it in the spinner and plate it up. Goes well with sliced radish
>> and cucumber along with some grated carrot and whatever else is at hand
>> on the day

> You forgot to mention onions.
>
> G.

Maybe he didn't have onions "on the day"

And I still say lettuce should be torn, not chopped.

Jill

Posted to rec.food.cooking

"jmcquown" > wrote in message
> On 10/26/2013 12:38 PM, Gary wrote:
>> Xeno Lith wrote:
>>>
>>> As an old bugger, I get to tear the lettuce as well. tear it up, rinse
>>> it, dry it in the spinner and plate it up. Goes well with sliced radish
>>> and cucumber along with some grated carrot and whatever else is at hand
>>> on the day

>> You forgot to mention onions.
>>
>> G.
>>

> Maybe he didn't have onions "on the day"
>
> And I still say lettuce should be torn, not chopped.

Does it last appreciably longer than if you cut it? I usually just cut up
as much as we will eat, but it would be good to have some in a box in the
fridge ready to go.
--
http://www.helpforheroes.org.uk/shop/

Posted to rec.food.cooking

I you only 'needed a little bit', then you prob. didn't need any at all. You're wasting money on that bagged stuff. Surely, you could manage a salad or two and use the rest.

Uh-oh, here come the excuses........

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On 27/10/13 3:38 AM, Gary wrote:
> Xeno Lith wrote:
>>
>> As an old bugger, I get to tear the lettuce as well. tear it up, rinse
>> it, dry it in the spinner and plate it up. Goes well with sliced radish
>> and cucumber along with some grated carrot and whatever else is at hand
>> on the day

> You forgot to mention onions.
>
> G.

I leave the onions out these days - gives me indigestion... :-(

--

Xeno
Posted to rec.food.cooking

"Xeno Lith" > wrote in message
> On 26/10/13 8:49 AM, Julie Bove wrote:
>>
>> "Brooklyn1" > wrote in message
>>> On Thu, 24 Oct 2013 23:30:56 -0700, "Julie Bove"

>>> A head of iceberg costs what, maybe $1.79 at most but typically 99˘...
>>> how difficult is it to shred a few leaves on a cutting board... can't
>>> take more than a minute to shred a big handful. And even if you don't
>>> use it all it's gotta cost less than those pre shredded bags... and
>>> pre prepped greens are as filthy dirty as pre ground meat. If yoose
>>> knew from where those pre prepped greens come to be you'd never eat
>>> any, especially not from restaurants that buy it by the truck load....
>>> it's the harvest salvage what's been run over by tires and stomped
>>> into the dirt, swished some in a big vat of filthy water, chopped and
>>> bagged... no wonder there are always recalls from it spreading
>>> foodborne disease.

>> Not difficult at all. But then what would I do with the rest of the
>> head? Most likely throw it out.

> You could compost it and use it on your garden. If you don't have a
> garden, you could use it on your pot plants or in a window ledge herb
> garden. We compost all vegetable matter from the kitchen. Been doing so
> for decades!

I don't have any kind of a garden and I doubt that my cactus or kalanchoe
would like it.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

"Xeno Lith" > wrote in message
> On 26/10/13 6:21 PM, Julie Bove wrote:
>>
>> "sf" > wrote in message
>>> On Fri, 25 Oct 2013 22:22:38 -0700, "Julie Bove"

>>> I do and they have sliders that control the humidity from "vegetable"
>>> to "fruit".

>> I wanted that kind. My MIL got a HUGE fridge and it had two such
>> drawers which I took advantage of while we were there. I was jealous!
>> Alas when it came time to get the new fridge there was only the one that
>> I got that would fit in this space. All of the other side by sides were
>> too large and the few top freezer models were far too small for a family.

> When we finally moved into this house after renting for an extended
> period, we initially planned to buy a new fridge. Thought our old one
> would look a little small in the designated area in this house. When we
> went shopping for a new one, we found all the fridges that would fit
> nicely in the position were all too deep. Seems they are all being made
> somewhat non standard with respect to depth. Our house, though only 8
> years old, has a fridge cavity of a standard depth. We put our 33 year old
> fridge into position, decided it didn't look all that bad, and decided not
> to buy a new one after all.

My new one is very deep. Sticks out more than the cabinets but... *shrugs*

Posted to rec.food.cooking

"Kalmia" > wrote in message
>I you only 'needed a little bit', then you prob. didn't need any at all.
>You're wasting money on that bagged stuff. Surely, you could manage a
>salad or two and use the rest.
>
> Uh-oh, here come the excuses........

So you would eat a tostada with no lettuce?

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On 10/25/2013 10:59 AM, Brooklyn1 wrote:

> A head of iceberg costs what, maybe $1.79 at most but typically 99˘...
> how difficult is it to shred a few leaves on a cutting board... can't
> take more than a minute to shred a big handful. And even if you don't
> use it all it's gotta cost less than those pre shredded bags..

I agree with this post. Even if you don't use the whole head, it would
be cheaper to use what you can from it before it goes bad rather than
buy bagged lettuce. I buy bagged spinach, though.

--
CAPSLOCK–Preventing Login Since 1980.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Sat, 26 Oct 2013 12:54:04 -0400, jmcquown >
wrote:

> On 10/26/2013 2:05 AM, sf wrote:
> > On Fri, 25 Oct 2013 22:17:17 -0700, "Julie Bove"
> > > wrote:

> >> If you use a plastic knife, it won't brown. We had one of those for making
> >> wedges.

> > Would a ceramic knife work in the same manner?
> >

> Why bother with a knife of any kind? Unless you're chopping "lettuce
> mix" for a restaurant kitchen! It doesn't take any effort to tear
> lettuce, iceburg or otherwise, to accompany a family dinner.

Agreed... but I was "going with the flow". It was a logical follow up
question based on what she said and my own personal experience.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Friday, October 25, 2013 9:59:44 AM UTC-5, Brooklyn1 wrote:
> On Thu, 24 Oct 2013 23:30:56 -0700, "Julie Bove"
>
> > wrote:
>

> >That's what they had at Target today. In the past, I have bought the

> >shredded iceberg which I prefer but it always goes brown not long after I

> >open it and sometimes is brown even in the store, in which case I won't buy

> >it. The bag said it was great for tacos and other things. Well... It was

> >not great on my tostada. Iceberg just seems the lettuce of choice.

> >Yes, I know I could have purchased the whole head but it would likely go to

> >waste.

> A head of iceberg costs what, maybe $1.79 at most but typically 99˘...
>
> how difficult is it to shred a few leaves on a cutting board... can't
>
> take more than a minute to shred a big handful. And even if you don't
>
> use it all it's gotta cost less than those pre shredded bags... and
>
> pre prepped greens are as filthy dirty as pre ground meat. If yoose
>
> knew from where those pre prepped greens come to be you'd never eat
>
> any, especially not from restaurants that buy it by the truck load....
>
> it's the harvest salvage what's been run over by tires and stomped
>
> into the dirt, swished some in a big vat of filthy water, chopped and
>
> bagged... no wonder there are always recalls from it spreading
>
> foodborne disease.

Right on, Sheldon tells the truth....
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On 10/27/2013 2:27 AM, sf wrote:
> On Sat, 26 Oct 2013 12:54:04 -0400, jmcquown >
> wrote:
>
>> On 10/26/2013 2:05 AM, sf wrote:
>>> On Fri, 25 Oct 2013 22:17:17 -0700, "Julie Bove"

>>> Would a ceramic knife work in the same manner?
>>>

>> Why bother with a knife of any kind? Unless you're chopping "lettuce
>> mix" for a restaurant kitchen! It doesn't take any effort to tear
>> lettuce, iceburg or otherwise, to accompany a family dinner.
>>

> Agreed... but I was "going with the flow". It was a logical follow up
> question based on what she said and my own personal experience.

It was a logical follow-up. My train of thought was, why have to
wash/wipe down a knife when you can use your hands.

Jill

Posted to rec.food.cooking

Cheryl wrote:

> On 10/25/2013 10:59 AM, Brooklyn1 wrote:
>
> > A head of iceberg costs what, maybe $1.79 at most but typically 99˘...
> > how difficult is it to shred a few leaves on a cutting board... can't
> > take more than a minute to shred a big handful. And even if you don't
> > use it all it's gotta cost less than those pre shredded bags..

> I agree with this post. Even if you don't use the whole head, it would
> be cheaper to use what you can from it before it goes bad rather than
> buy bagged lettuce. I buy bagged spinach, though.

Bagged spinach is very different though (and I buy it too). You get a
large bag of spinach and sautee it in EVOO and garlic and that entire
giant bag shrinks down to one measly serving. hahha

G.